[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dispersed Camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: ANF.jpg (66KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
ANF.jpg
66KB, 320x240px
So, what can /out/ teach me about dispersed camping? Planning on going to pic related with a friend this summer. Also, any other good places for dispersed camping in PA?
>>
>>753752
bump, interested in dispersed camping as well
>>
Wow this board is slower than I thought
>>
Make sure you have a license or a hunting/fishing one at least.

That's how it is in VA at least. Look into the WMA's for your state too! Have fun!
>>
I'm actually getting ready to head out to Sproul State forest in PA on Thursday to do the same thing OP. It's been several years since I've been out that way but the scenery is breathtaking and the trout fishing is fantastic. Just find a place to pull off the road somewhere and follow a creek or trail. If you're really unsure, check out satellite imagery to get an idea of where you'd like to start.
>>
>>753752
Hey it's someone else near alleghany! I'm from buffalo NY and use this forest all the time. Dispersed camping is permitted anywhere as long as your like 1509ft or so from the reservoir I believe.

As far as how to do it just pick any good clear and clean spot. Camping near water is a plus too for cooking/ hydration. A lot of times you will see fire rings from where people have previously done it. Sometimes the good spots are just obvious. I backpacking the Morrison trail with the gf the other week and there is a nice spot along the rim rock portion of the trail Overlooking the reservoir.
>>
>>753752
If you're in the US, you can stay anywhere on national forest land for up to sixteen days before you're required to move at least five miles away. You should use established fire pits whenever possible (but if you're doing real dispersed camping you won't find any) and you can't (shouldn't) stay within 100 yards of a water source. That's pretty much it.

Just look for the green areas on Google maps, and double check that they aren't parks or reserve land. You don't need any licenses unless you're doing the associated activity (I keep a current fishing license because I fish, but not a hunting license, because I don't hunt). That's pretty much the gist of it.

It is a good idea to pull up the coordinates of where you plan on staying and text them to someone, along with your expected return date, because in most areas that would actually be "dispersed" the whole point is that no one will happen across it for a good, long while.
>>
wow this is awesome i didnt know you could do this. I am also from buffalo and usually go to the new york allegheny park. what are some good things to explore in the pa national forest side?
>>
>>753752
I go to allegheny all the time live nearby, allegheny to me though is more for boating and taking my dog swimming it's just more flat. OP if you ever get the chance you should do letchworth its like the Grand Canyon of the east coast.
>>
In Pennsylvania dispersed camping is allowed in any state forest for state wild area.

Unfortunately it's not allowed in state parks or game lands. It's a shame because there are dozens upon dozens of state game lands everywhere throughout the state, beautiful areas too, hundreds of thousands of acres. No camping allowed. You areally obviously allowed to hunt, and you can hike them.

Check out the hammersley wild area in central(ish) PA. Largest area in PA without a road. Beautiful trails and a kick as swimming hole (hammersley pool).
>>
>>753752
hell yiss i shill dispersed camping sometimes, its great

ive been through that park twice. Once was a massive thunderstorm that passed about right over me. Both times great environments. I never really hike paths, just follow roads from pavement to gravel to sand lines and when that runs out dodge the heavy overgrowth. its nice to find clearings, but i havent in alleghany
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.