[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Methane been burning since 1960s under this ghost town

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_0148.jpg (214KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0148.jpg
214KB, 1024x768px
http://www.americangeode.com/blog/

The American Geode team visited abandoned ghost town Centralia, PA to explore this old coal town that had been abandoned, demolished and condemned in the 1990s due to an underground coal mine fire raging since the early 1960s.
>>
File: IMG_0137.jpg (4MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0137.jpg
4MB, 2448x3264px
Here are more photos of Centralia, PA.
http://www.americangeode.com/blog/
>>
>>749088
>>749090
This is only a few hours from me, I've been wanting to go here for a while
>>
>>749088
Methane? I thought it was anthrocite coal burning.
>>
File: Creamofmushroom.jpg (4KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
Creamofmushroom.jpg
4KB, 259x194px
>>749088
Why is that guy dressed like a gender studies professor/pedophile?
>>
>>749088
Kinda new to /out/, mostly lurk on other boards. Does /out/ endorse urban exploration? Any stories? Locations? Tips?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>749336
I do but I don't have any good stories. Only hit a few farm houses near me, trying to hit a few more places soon though. I'll try and find a text my buddy sent me though, he had a cool story
>>
>>749356
Thanks, anyone know places near Eastern PA?
>>
Centralia is what Silent Hill is based on
>>
>>749361
That's where my buddy lives that. I was saying about. He went to some old steel mill, but he said as soon as he got in they got chased off by guards. Weird story.
>>
>>749395
Any chance it was steel stacks in Bethlehem? It only closed in the 90's, but over the last few years they've turned it into a media center.
>>
>>749407
Wait my bad he's out west, not east. Wya, I'm in philly
>>
>>749088
What I find interesting about abandoned towns is how quickly the infrastructure decays. Most people have almost no appreciation for how much upkeep there is on things like roads and utilities.
>>
>>749411
Middletown. Was planning to head up to Penn hills resort over the summer and doing some exploring up there.
>>
>>749416
I've heard there's some cool shit up in the poconos, but I have no idea where. There's some places in the city I wanna hit up too
>>
File: yougongetraped.jpg (743KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
yougongetraped.jpg
743KB, 1600x1200px
>>749088

Yeah, you have fun with that..
>>
>>749450
Yeah, there's some places that are easily several decades old that aren't known publicly.
>>
Is it worth going to? I heard the man shut it down with fences and shit, and actually people sort of live there so it isn't suuuper spoopy abandoned. I live in driving distance, about 20 miles SE of philly. I was planning some hiking sort of nearish there for a few weeks from now anyway. Actually about 15 miles from there as the crow flies and maybe another to the north. Stopping in is totally possible. Can you spend a night there?

I guess all that graffiti is a good measure of what is and isn't safe to walk on. I'd kind of like to explore some mines but I'd probably die, smoke and chemicals and all, obviously. Is it safe to walk around solo? Not for /x/ reasons, rather infrastructure cave-ins. I'm not particularly fat or anything but you know.

Some acquaintances expressed interest in going but nothing came of it.
>>
I'm 99% sure it's anthracite coal.

And there's like 12 people still living in town. Not that exciting unless you are a scientist. Or vandal.
>>
>>749123
kek
>>
>>749122
lol this

>>749471
That was set in WV and the actual site is in PA (probably shot in Canada or some shit).
>>
>>749361
outside Philly there is an old abandoned whiskey distillery and industrial park that is kind of neat.
https://streetsdept.com/2013/09/17/exploring-limerick-pas-abandoned-linfield-industrial-park/
If you image search it enough some girls did a nudy photoshoot there too.
>>
>>750619
You ever been? I might try to hit that later this spring
>>
>>749088
Where are all the weiner pictures? Was there in 2010 - not much to see of the town then I'm sure not much has changed.
>>
>>751118
I have, I live pretty close. Make sure you bring a good light as the buildings are pitch black. You can find some pretty cool old whiskey bottles around too. They are all empty though all the full ones are long gone I imagine.
>>
>>751192
Cool. Is there any security concerns or is it pretty well in the middle of nowhere?
>>
>>751670
well it is off of a back road but it is separated by tree lines. Park off to the right a bit there is a softball park. No security I saw, but definitely keep a low profile as you are trespassing. Dont know if they just tell you to leave or book you I have never heard of anyone getting busted. Mostly dont be a jerkoff and throw a bunch of bottles around and scream.
>>
>>749366
surprised it took this long for anyone to mention that
>>
>>749336
Every once in a while an Urbex thread pops up and one fellow has a decent story about getting into an abandoned government and/or military structure. He has some photos he posts and originally had a video on YouTube but he was ordered to take the video down. If we make this into an Urbex thread the anon might appear; sort of like Beatlejuice.
>>
>>752146
Cool thanks. I know some places are still under high security and some are completely let go, glad this is fairly /abandoned/
>>
File: EXTREMELYEVILMAN.jpg (37KB, 450x320px) Image search: [Google]
EXTREMELYEVILMAN.jpg
37KB, 450x320px
I've been planning to go on a (secret/surprise) hike to Centralia for a long time with my bros. The secret part is that we're hiking to Centralia which is about 170 miles away. The "Hell Hike" as I like to call it.
>>
cheeky pa bump
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>752160
Bump for urbex thread?
>>
>>749450
>>749485
I am in the poconos, lets meet for an adventure

I promise not to steal your kidneys
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.