[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paging Dr Buttstuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: deliverance.jpg (15KB, 236x353px) Image search: [Google]
deliverance.jpg
15KB, 236x353px
Hello family, what do you carry in your /out/ medical kit? I'm looking for suggestions to upgrade mine. Just for general hiking and camping, for 1-2 people.
>>
I normally carry the basics but then I have extras as QuikClot which has saved my life and a couple leg wraps as I have broken my leg. Also legal very strong painkillers. Nothing fancy just the basics but with some extras.
>>
OP here

Current kit:
>Band aids - about 10
>Paracetamol tablets - 12
>Insect bite cream (Stingoes for all you Ausfags)
>Anti-diarrhoea tablets
>Water purification tablets
>Small bandages - 2
>Small spool of gorilla tape

all carried in a zip lock bag.
>>
Poster above you op, I carry (just as you replied decided I'd say this)
~Basic Band Aids Small x10-15 Larger 20 Large for large cuts 4
~Duck Tape ~30Ft or so for wrapping
~QuikClot
~Wrist/Ankle Wrap x2
~PainKillers
~Epee pen (whoever you spell it allergic to bees)
~Septic Swaps x40 (I got mad with them)
~Small 150ml bottle of liq alcohol
~Nail Clippers/Tweezers
~Some other crap for making bandaids and wraps
~Water Pur tablets but to be honest I rarely use them as I have a filter built in my water bladder
All in a nice bag weighing just under 1.2 pounds.
Cheers
>>
>>748356

Cheers. Just looked up quikclot but as usual it's stupidly expensive here due to having to import it from the US.

Here's another question, does anybody know of some good /out related first aid books / vids?
>>
Same person commenting lol,
I'd honestly just advice going to your local hospital or walk in clinic and getting a first aid course up to level 4. I myself know how to set a bone if I need how to stop major bleeding and so on but if I would suggest a book I'd say this one https://www.amazon.ca/First-Aid-USMLE-Step-2016/dp/1259587371/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1461577990&sr=1-1&keywords=FIrst+aid+books
or
https://www.amazon.ca/Wilderness-First-Aid-Waterproof-Pocket/dp/1583557180/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1461578045&sr=1-1&keywords=Wilderness+first+aid+book
The second one though is more of a basic first aid book. To be completely honest I'd just go to your local hospital and get lessons. It may seem stupid but its worth a shot. Also I missed a item in my kit which is a thread and needle so I can stitch a wound shut if needed. I know they make other products like quikclot but I dont know the quality or if it is a better price. Any other questions? While I am around
>>
Oh forgot another book I do own but it is slightly outdated https://www.amazon.ca/The-Official-Wilderness-First-Guide/dp/0771082509
>>
>>748363

Heh thanks anon
>>
>>748364

Was going to say 'wow /out is the most helpful board I've been on' but then noticed the .ca

>Thanks eh!
>>
No problem mate sorry I couldn't of been the most help but glad I could help to some degree. Stay safe and just use common sense.
>>
>>748352

Way to much...that is due me being a medical fag. Carry for you're trained for.
>>
>>748352
hardtack is all you need
>>
>>748382

Thank you for your magnanimous contribution to this thread
>>
>>748500

Exactly. John Lennon was wrong.
>>
I like to be prepared, but I have whittled my kit down to the essentials to reduce bulk.

assorted bandaids
2 4x4 gauze
1 roll of compressed 3" gauze
foam tape
roll of waterproof 3M medical tape
2" coban roll, re-rolled to make it compact
2 BKZ swabs for my hands
small bandage scissors
2 small and 1 large Tegaderm film dressing
Steristrips
Benzoin ampules
Bottle of Vetbond tissue glue
diphenhydramine
Loperamide
naproxen
acetaminophen
duct tape
Tourniquet, folded as flat as possible.
If I am going to be out in the middle of fucking nowhere, I add a Calcium alginate dressing with silver to hopefully deal with an infection long enough to get me to where I can get help.
>>
doctorfag here. the only medical related thing you should bring is your cell phone, so you can phone me and my gang to come take care of your broken ass

other than that, just simple dressing, tape, bandages and bandaids. Don't be a silly billy hauling a bottle of iodine or steriliser, because you shouldn't be changing dressings, you should be getting the fuck out of there. And don't bother getting suture kits or whatever - if the booboo is too big for you to move then stay put and press on it until help arrives. If the booboo wasn't too big to move then you didn't need suturing after all, just steristrips or bandage and gtfo there.

I guess tweezers from your toiletrees bag should do it for plant-spines.

Please don't make "poultices" and don't bring drugs you don't normally take with you. Don't play around with antibiotics - you don't want to add diarrhea and vomiting to your infected booboo. Painkillers for headaches, nasal spray for pollen allergies and maybe loperamide (and even there, if you get the runny shits, gtfo there and if you can't within 2 days call for help). Don't get epipens unless you've used one. If you are adamant that you want one, go through the trouble of wasting one by opening one up and injecting a banana or whatever to get a feel of it.

Don't bring tourniquets. I see tourniquets applied incorrectly and what they do is increase bleeding. Unless your limb has been blown off you won't be needing it.

I've seen the most ridiculous things in "survival medical bags". Not worth the weight or the false sense of security. Really, don't get anything with you - if you get hurt or sick, you go back or you call for help.

You should just call one of your doctor or nurse friends to go /out/ with you. Nobody ever fucking wants to come with me goddamn.
>>
>>748504

You're welcome. In the end it doesn't matter what you carry in your pack, it's what you carry in your mind, training is a million times more important. To many ppl who carry X amount of items, have no training in how to even use half the crap they have.
>>
>>748608
Only thing I'd disagree with is the tourniquet and you wouldnt be bringing that you'd be ripping up some article of clothing. Otherwise spot on. In over 40 years of /out/ I've never needed more than a bandaid and even then I didn't use one.
>>
Paramedicfag here - there is a huge risk of carrying way too much stuff.

The chances of you needing a tourniquet are hopefully pretty low, unless you're planning an activity which routinely ends in limb loss. That being said, CAT tourniquets are pretty cheap, but really shouldn't be applied unless you've had a limb sheared off and absolutely can't control the bleeding.
In 15 years of frontline practice, I've used one once. They aren't particularly good in terms of tissue viability. Like I said, it needs to be exsanguinating haemorrhage.

Really, a bit of gauze, some crepe bandage. Plasters. If it's a longer trip, some minor drugs like loperamide and so forth. Blister plasters.
I might also advocate an epi-pen / vial of adrenaline but considering the likelihood of someone experiencing anaphylaxis... epi-pens are expensive as fuck.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (58KB, 226x228px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
58KB, 226x228px
>>748722

Do go on
>>
>>748356
Even with a light sword it would be difficult to hit all of the bees
>>
File: heh.jpg (23KB, 450x403px) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
23KB, 450x403px
>>748997
>>
>>748608
>You should just call one of your doctor or nurse friends to go /out/ with you. Nobody ever fucking wants to come with me goddamn.

Kek

Yeah that's kinda my philosophy; I don't go places remote enough where I'd have to fix shit on my own, it's more just about cleaning and patching up before heading to a doc.
>>
>>748352
Bandana
Ethanol
Alum
Opium

If I can't fix it with those four things, I probably couldn't fit it anyway.
>>
>>748353
>>747643
>quickclot
I like the idea of quickclot but have never had to use it. Is it useful for not-critical bleeding?

>>748722
Definitely this, all the more so if you are a light/ultralight packer. If you pack a specific item for every possible contingency you might as well stay home. It is much better to have versatile items (cloth, dental floss, duct tape) and the skills to transform those items into applied medical solutions. Of course, if you are in a 4+ person party with one individual dedicated to carrying most of a medkit, then you can feel free to pack more specific-purpose items.
>>
>>749212
While you wear nothing but rawhide, and get sustenance from nothing but hard tack and whiskey, no doubt.
>>
File: cl.png (108KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
cl.png
108KB, 228x221px
goddamn some of you niggers over pack

>climber's tape
>ibuprofen
>bandaids

boom, done. barring something like your own actual prescribed epi pen, insulin, or whatever, that's all you need.
>>
>>749231
This guy knows what's up.

No, but wool, and meat and potatoes wouldn't be too far off. If it ain't broken, don't fix it, as they say.
>>
>>749212
>>749231
When I saw alum on your list I flashed back to playing Oregon Trail in elementary school.
>>
>>749234
>>749235

So if you get a case of the shits, you'd rather blow out your pants instead of bringing a couple of diarrhoea tablets? Sounds awesome.

There's no need to overpack, but there's also no reason to not take advantage of small and convenient things that can help.

>inb4 bush medicine
>>
>>749235

What kind of meat do you bring? How do you stop it from going bad? Serious question. Oh wait, you're a hunter I'm guessing.
>>
>>749268
I don't know what alum was used for in the game, but it's basically food-grade quick clot.

>>749293
>Diarrhea tablets
One of the many uses of opium. You maybe should have taken the time to look up that long list of four items before opening your mouth and letting stupid come out.

>>749295
Trout and cat-tail root, then. I said it wouldn't be too far off.
>>
>>749406

Fuck off you idiot. You're not grizzly fucking adams. Learn how to spell before you accuse others of being stupid.
>>
>>749406

Lets see some pics to back up all this talk mountain child. Especially some of you using controlled substances.
>>
>>749414
I didn't say you were stupid, I said that what you said was stupid. Its okay though, that you don't know the difference.

>>749418
Lol, no.
>>
>>748354
disinfectant?

also what are
>Paracetamol tablets
>>
>>749293
if i get the shits bad enough to blow out my pants i doubt a couple pepto tablets are going to help.

but by all means, you can feel free to lug around all the useless bullshit you want.
>>
>>748363
>recommending a step 1 study guide just because it has 'first aid' in the title

L M A O
M
A
O

this thread is full of idiots, just a different breed of gearfags who don't know shit about how to correctly use half the stuff they're boasting about carrying
>>
>>748352
That looks incredibly painful.
>>
>>748382
>Carry for you're trained for.

guess I'm carrying nothing. YOLOSWAG.
>>
>>749442

neverbeenout.jpg

Thanks for the pretendsies, anon. It was super fun baka senpai!
>>
>>749649

>pepto
wtf lol pretty straw man there anon.

>useless bullshit
Feel free to die of dehydration rather than carrying a tablet which weighs less than 1g in your pack, manchild.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (197KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
197KB, 3000x1688px
>>749442

>arguing semantics instead of knowing anything about going /out
>>
>>749590

Getting some iodine wipes before next /out/ing.

>paracetamol
Well, there's always google, anon. But it's basic pain relief. We call it panadol here. I think in murrica it might be called tylenol, not sure.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.