[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 91

File: image.jpg (94KB, 500x753px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94KB, 500x753px
#33-">tfw no 10/10 qt3.14 fishin buddy to make me jelly" Edition

Well my coworker was supposed to come out this afternoon so he could break in that new #20 PowerPro. Idk what happened, he's probably tryin to deal with his crazy ass wife.

More fish for me.

Let's talk about fishin.

Previous Thread:
>>745237
>>
>>746886
could you fish a poppin pad crasher like a normal pad crasher? I mean if you did it slow enough would'nt that be like getting a 2 in 1?
>>
>>746936
I dunno. I think it'd be a little bit harder to walk the dog with a popper.
>>
File: circle hook.jpg (14KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
circle hook.jpg
14KB, 500x500px
Moved to Texas from Florida coast. WHat are the lake/river anglers opinion on Circle hooks? FL law requires them if you are bait fishing.
>>
>>746931
Fuck, man. I know the old thread hit the bump limit, but this is a slow board. You couldn't at least let the old thread slide off the front page before making a new one? You suck.
>>
File: image%3A29144.png (209KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
image%3A29144.png
209KB, 854x480px
>>746941
Pic very related.
>>
>>746938
fair enough. Frogs aren't cheap so I was wondering if I could get away with it if I bought one.
>>
>>746941
Oh no you have to see two threads for maybe an hour or two, the horror.
>>
File: gma-nona-with-her-fish-2010-sm.jpg (139KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
gma-nona-with-her-fish-2010-sm.jpg
139KB, 1024x768px
>>746941
> You couldn't at least let the old thread slide off the front page before making a new one? You suck.

not knowing that fishing is one of the most popular /out/ activities, if not the most.
>>
>>746948

let's make the long wait more pleasant
>>
>>746941
>>746942
Haha what a nigger. Go back to the knife thread.

And the fishing thread is fast enough, plus the board moves bretty quick this time of the day so it will be down on page 4 or 5 before you know it.
>>
where can I get an /out/ gf guys? It's hard enough to find a girl in the city who even likes the outdoors let alone camps and the like
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 384x469px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 384x469px
>>746950
That girl might be my favorite. The girl in the OP and the girl with the black T, bikini bottom, hat, and nice ass are both up there too.
>>
>>746945
That one was $4.99 at my academy. Not really cheap, but a lot better than the $10-12 they normally are.
>>
>>746954
>That speck
I've used fish bigger than that as live bait
>>
>>746955
wow, that's a good deal. Congrats.
>>
>>746955
>>746945
Dick's has those Jawbone frogs for dirt cheap. If I were just tryin to grab some on a budget, I would do that.

I don't use frogs a ton anyway. Never really had any luck on them. I guess I just have to find the right spot. Do you guys normally fish them at the same time as you would do poppers? Like dusk and dawn with calmer water when you can see the bass jumping?
>>
>>746961
Canuck here Pepsi. I appreciate it though.
Idk, sometimes frogs are just the ticket. Early dawn or dusk , absolute silence and then the splash. So satisfying
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 200x306px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 200x306px
>>746959
I wasn't paying much attention to the fish
>>
https://youtu.be/MV4Q2aYIbGQ

I've gone mad. need stripers now
>>
>>746961
the jawbones are pretty decent for cheap
>>
I like throwing a mouse around heavy pad spots, I put a 1/2 ounce egg sinker sliding in front of the mouse with about 16 inches to a swivel. The weight makes it easier to pitch and letting it slide around helps with the erratic action like a real mouse sliding off a pad.
>>
>tfw got skunked out at the pier

A snook took my mullet but spit it out before I could set the hook. The guy next to me got one though.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>746973
I agree. Lots of the cheaper lure companies make decent stuff if you aren't incredibly picky. I was looking at some of their spinnerbaits but nothing really struck my fancy.

>>746979
Damn, I gotta try that with a frog.

>>747009
Last place I was at today kinda sucked yoo. Got one bite. Dude from work finally hit me up at like 6:30pm and I told him to cruise to these lakes closer to me (maybe 15min from him) but he wanted to go to this canal close to his place. Most of those canals blow for fishing though unless you find the perfect spot. Then he said he was bringin his son after I was already over there. If I knew his kid was coming there, I woulda grabbed some nightcrawlers so he could at least get some bluegill on the ultralight.
>>
going to try to get up early as fuck and go on a walk to a small golf course pond to seeif i can get some topwater sunrise bights , fingers crossed i dontget kicked out
>>
>>747054
I'm tryin to do the same thing tomorrow with mah nigga. We were planning on going early today, I was up for a bit at 5:00a-5:30a and waiting for him to call me since he guaranteed he would be up by 5:00a. I passed back out though and woke up agan around 8:30a and called him after that. Tomorrow I'm gonna try and get up early and blow up his phone.
>>
File: pike-fishing.jpg (28KB, 400x253px) Image search: [Google]
pike-fishing.jpg
28KB, 400x253px
What is northern pike fishing like? I'm moving up far north for college, and Largemouth aren't as common, mostly Smallmouth and pike up there.
>>
OK all, still not sold on this braid. I think I ripped the jaws off 2 trout tonight and hen there is "fish on" it feels like a game system controller on vibrate.
I also can't tell the difference between hits and the lure's natural drag.
>>
and I lost my fav count down rap. F*ing flouro leader just let go, not at a knot. Just broke on a cast.
>>
>>747068
You should be able to tell the difference between a bite and the lure's action so much more easily with the braid. It makes it easier to tell what is a bite and what is some weeds or grass.

You do have to be a little easier on setting the hook. But it's not too difficult since you don't have to use as much rod movement when you twitch lures and stuff. If anything, run a nice flouro leader or even a couple feet of mono and it will give you a lil stretch.

I haven't had an issue with setting the hooks in so long just because I'm used to the braid. Anything you do with the rod tip is directly translated to the lure because it's not like a damn rubberband.
>>
>>747068
You're setting the hook too hard
>>
>>747069
Wut lure was it? I have had a couple Mepps like that where I was really bummed after losing them since certain color combos are hard to find. One was the Black Fury in regular yellow and black, but I was able to order that one from Cabela's website. But I also lost an Agila with a natural brown skirt and chartruese blade and that one is impossible to find.
>>
>>747075
+1 on that. A lot of times when I'm running a spinner or crank, I don't even have to try and set the hook. The fish will bite on a twitch or just during the retrieve and it will hook them.
>>
File: IMG_0763.jpg (1MB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0763.jpg
1MB, 1632x1224px
>>747075
I'm sure of it. I'm so used to mono stretch and giving a nice tug when the adrenaline of 'fish on' kicks in.
>>747076
>Wut lure
countdown rap (pic related, hd just replaced teh terble I cut off it)
>>
File: image.jpg (849KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
849KB, 3264x2448px
>>747090
Damn, that's a little guy. At least it's not a color combo that will be hard to replace.

When you're running baits like that, a lot of times you barely even have to set the hook. Especially if the fish hits it while you are giving it a lil twitch.

But if you are doing trout, a flouro leader might not be a bad idea. Aren't trout pretty picky about stuff like that? The flouro leader won't stretch as much as a mono leader (or nowhere near a mono main line) but it will give you a little bit.

A lot of the stuff I have been fishing with lately, I have been really glad to be using braid instead of mono. When I'm using the worms and lizards, the braid makes it much, much easier to keep the line tight and feel every little bite. I can feel the bass pick up the bait, then I wait for half a second to a full second, and then give it a decent set to pop the hook through and reel them in.
>>
>>747106
>owl
that's adorable. Never seen one irl yet.
>>
File: image.jpg (853KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
853KB, 3264x2448px
>>747121
I can't remember the last time I saw one outside of a zoo. There were actually two of them with nests maybe 100' away from eachother on the banks of the canal. They were about 12" tall and really defensive of their nesting area. The one was hissing at us and almost charging.
>>
>>747124
fuck those assholes. always waking me up on my days off when I'm trying to sleep in.

only those fucking animals would be hooing in full force at 5 am.

>oooooooo owls are so majestic
fucking loud mouthed assholes if you ask me.
>>
>>747121
There's two that fly around the spillway at the lake closest to me they're cool.
>>
File: s452345.png (553KB, 661x532px) Image search: [Google]
s452345.png
553KB, 661x532px
>>747141
nah they are cool, just fucking annoying sometimes
>>
>>747129
I was just telling dude I was with how lucky we are that we don't have to deal with Canadian geese. Fishing lakes from shore when those fuckers are nesting is a pain in the ass. You don't even notice that a nest is nearby and all of a sudden a giant goose is hauling ass at you from across the pond.

We do have the big ugly ducks here with the red heads though. Makes me miss mallards. Mallards are so much better than the shitty Florida ducks.
>>
>>747146
funny you mention geese, they are only really scary when they are nesting, otherwise they are quite docile. I've walked upon a few nests in high grass before and immediately backed the fuck off. Geese can get extremely violent.
>>
>>747146
trout fishing last fall and had 8 geese come at me from down river ,tried b
backing up but 4 of the fuckers kept coming, after kicking one off of me had to take out the leader with a softball sized rock, didnt kill it but they fucked off, 40 min later the whole group approached again but that was quickly shut down with another barrage of large stones
>>
Where can I find hot girls who like to fish?
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 550x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 550x450px
>>747162
Craigslist?
>>
File: 45624762727.jpg (20KB, 400x310px) Image search: [Google]
45624762727.jpg
20KB, 400x310px
>>747164
go to the beach.
>>
File: image.jpg (159KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159KB, 800x600px
>>747165
Doesn't seem that easy. Any grill at the beach fishing is going to be with her boyfriend. And 98% chance she is just pretending to enjoy fishing and would never do it on her own.
>>
File: 113454290.jpg (173KB, 594x380px) Image search: [Google]
113454290.jpg
173KB, 594x380px
>>747166
you don't even fish at the beach though.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 400x600px
>>747173
>blue board
And wtf?

>>747168
I go to the beach a bit, just not fishing.
>>
File: 34563456.jpg (50KB, 533x332px) Image search: [Google]
34563456.jpg
50KB, 533x332px
>>747175
perhaps you need to partake on an expidition to the beach
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 394x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 394x500px
>>747176
I really think I just need a bitchin boat
>>
>>747178
The boat will get the hoes 100% of the time

But I can't even afford a 7 foot John boat, used

I think a pontoon boat is the way to go for lakes if you want to get all the girls cause it's just a floating party platform
>>
>>747162
I hear ya
finding a girl who likes the outdoors is hard enough these days. Just want to meet a qt who I can camp with.
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 500x753px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 500x753px
>>747183
I don't get why people hate on pontoon boats so much. They seem like they would be bretty gud for fishing too since it is one big platform. Am I wrong?

I think OP qt3.14 might be on a pontoon boat. If she will hop on my pontoon, I'm set.
>>
File: trashman.png (264KB, 878x900px) Image search: [Google]
trashman.png
264KB, 878x900px
>>747190
>tfw want to hook up with a girl you had a crush on since primary school
>she fucking hates fishing and being /out/
>>
>>747191
Looking at that more, is that a fucking vinyl couch? And that folding chair in the background? Plus that busted outboard...

>10lb bass
>10/10 grill
>poorfag boat
Oh man, I might be in love. I need to move to Alabama or something. Try and get my same job up there, make $50k a year, live like a king and have some beautiful southern girl make me grits every day.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 420x315px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 420x315px
>>747192
Bummer. Make it a booty call nigga.
>>
>>747191
Yeah that's definitely a pontoon boat, I don't have one but if I had lakefront property I would get one. This is all in an alternate universe where I'm not poor and my entire paycheck doesn't go to just living expenses and fishing gear

I think some people hate on them cause they'll come around loaded with drunk people and create a raucous when you're just trying to peacefully fish
>>
File: image.jpg (395KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
395KB, 1200x1600px
>>747201
>This is all in an alternate universe where I'm not poor and my entire paycheck doesn't go to just fishing gear and maybe rent and food if there's any left over
ftfy
>>
>>747203
Kek too true

>that pic
Reminds me of many a summer spent at the shore when I would set some pyramid traps then take a canoe out in the marsh and cast net for shrimp

I was eatin good those days
>>
>>747129
That's how I feel about skyrats
>>
>>747192
>tfw you may not meet your freckled /out/ cutie
we gotta believe and trust.
>>
>>746940
Aren't you not supposed to set the hook with those? Like just reel in and they stick?
>>
First time angler here, (not really, used to fish with my dad as a kid). Planning to fish a local urban fishing lake here, they're allegedly edible. Should I field dress em there and put em on icez or just ice em and tkae home to gut em? Also, do people kill the fish before icing em? I don't remember my dad ever doing that but I never really paid close attention either.
>>
>>747306
Idk shit about gutting and dressing fish, but if you are fishing these urban lakes and ponds on private property like I normally do, I wouldn't gut them at the lake. Wait until you get home because you will piss off yuppies and normies really quick if you leave a bunch of guts around the lake.

Also, idk how clean the area is, but you may want to limit how often you eat fish from urban lakes. Lots of those places get a lot of run-off from the shore that can contaminate the lake with fertilizers, motor oil, and other nasty stuff. The higher up the food chain you go (bass compared to bluegill), the more these contaminants build up in the fish. I know around me, it is safe to eat the fish from almost all the lakes and canals but they say to try and limit it to once a week or something.
>>
>>747318
Yeah, wasn't planning on doing it regularly, just wanted to try my hand at gutting and cooking. So just nab em and toss em on ice? Or do I have to bash its head?
>>
>>747178
Peps I met a grill at a party tonight. We're gonna smoke pots and fish tomorrow. 10/10 day.
>>
File: image.jpg (391KB, 920x1109px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
391KB, 920x1109px
>>747331
I think you are good just tossing them on ice, but don't quote me on that. I never really eat anything I catch.

>>747336
So she is going to pretend to like fishing for free drugs? Sounds like a keeper.
>>
Mah niggas upset because I finally bring em to a good lake and got a Mayan and largemouth within a few min and they got nothin.
>>
>>747337
No Bruh even better; she's going to give me the weeds AND pretend to like fishing.
>>
Just arrived at Jordan Lake, wish I had made it out earlier
Should still be able to pull in some decent largemouth

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Lake_State_Recreation_Area
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>747455
>>
Do any of you guys ever have much success fishing in the afternoon? I tried a couple spots yesterday without any bites, but it was in the 80s with a blue sky. I did end up catching a bunch of bluegill and a small channel cat off a rooster tail around dusk. I'm thinking about going out today to check out some more spots, however I'm not sure it'd be worth it cause the weather is about the same today.

Also when bank fishing, is it better to cast out to the middle of the lake /pond, or to cast out at more of an angle and bring the lure back in along the shoreline?
>>
yo Skid, what the fuck happened to your fork?
>>
>>747491
I usually only afternoon fish when I work. I prefer casting deep when bank fishing cause the shoreline was full of snag potential, but I've been meaning to try casting at an angle some more, apparently with a spinner it's great potential
>>
>>747472
My dream is to someday be with a chick who likes smoking and fishing and camping, so best of luck to ya.
>>
>>747063
Where up north? I'm in MN, and honestly it's kind of like bass fishing. The hitike a truck, fight like hell, only difference is you better bring pliers because they thrash like epileptic at an EDM show, and that'll bury a treble in your hand real deep. Spoons get the poons in open water. With coverage and vegetation, I'll slay em with frogs and such. Second favorite fish to Largemouth.
>>
>>747073
Doesn't using a fluro or mono leader defeat the point of using braided? Or am I missing something here?
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>747483
Dad was stoked he finally got a largemouth too but was too much of a pussy to hold it. His son had no problem and now he's talkin shit to dad. Kid got the best largemouth out of any of us anyway.

Catching everything on inline spinners today too.

>>747491
I have a lot of luck from like 4:30p-7:30p a lot of days. I also have great luck at noon on some days. We're fishing later in the morning today and pulling a handful of 2lb largemouth even though it is sunny. I think there might be something with the atmospheric pressure that makes a big difference. Otherwise late afternoon and dusk is normally my best time for bass.
>>
File: lmao.jpg (41KB, 410x467px) Image search: [Google]
lmao.jpg
41KB, 410x467px
>tfw friendly guy and his dog came up to me and gave me a bunch of tips, set a new line up for me and gave me directions to a good pond

gave him my hula popper I found in the bushes for it, the fishing community is so nice
>>
>>747498
Nah not at all. You still get much stronger line for the size, which means you can get more line on the reel, cast further, and don't have to worry about the line breaking so easily. Plus you still get that sensitivity even with a few feet of flouro. And one of my favorite parts is the lack of memory compared to mono.

I have a spool of 8lb and 20lb flouro I use for leaders. 10lb braid gets 8lb leaders, 20lb and 30lb braid gets a 20lb leader, and 15lb braid can go either way.
>>
>>747501
I had a guy set up next to me, gave me some beers and had pretty casual conversation when fish weren't biting. As long as it isn't a bunch of hmoung fishermen stealing all the baby fish, community up here is pretty great too.
>>
>>747502
Interesting. My biggest problem with braid is fishing with surface vegetation. Lily pads and the likes just get snagged, and hook sets are nearly impossible when the line won't stay straight because it's lightly snagged on several things.
>>
>>746940
They work amazingly well for me when i rig worms wacky for bass. Doesnt seek out the corner of his jaw but will always stay near the edge of his mouth somewhere. Likes to re-enter his mouth from the outside i've noticed. Only had 1 out of 20 shake the hook on me so far.
>>
>>747499
WE

WUZ

FISHERMANS N SHEEEIT
>>
>>747121
The burrowing ones are all over the airports, at least here in FL. Pretty sure its a consistent thing to see them on the field in the southeast though.
>>747146
Definitely mallards in Florida, just not in the deeply suburban south Florida.
>>747491
In freshwater I can fish any time of the day and catch bass. It's all about knowing where the fish hold and how active they are. Then you can just tailor your bait/presentation to that.
>>
>>747535
shut the fuck up
>>
File: IMG_0613.jpg (880KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0613.jpg
880KB, 2048x2048px
>>747559
Case in point. Nightfishing, never been that great for me. There was a full moon this weekend, though, so I just tried something a little different. Worked out.
>>
>>747562
Why what's wrong?
>>
>>747582
/out/ is tryin too hard to be SJW's.

I think anon forgot where he is. This is 4chan. Plus South Florida is such a clusterfuck of ethnicities that a little racism is actually expected. Sometimes you gotta talk shit to people and add a couple racist jokes.
>>
>>747583
>>747583
>South Florida is such a clusterfuck of ethnicities that a little racism is actually expected

It's meme racism for the most part. In miami everyone loves racist jokes.
>>
File: itworked.jpg (50KB, 500x387px) Image search: [Google]
itworked.jpg
50KB, 500x387px
Daily reminder that cobia are living memes and they will eat just about any lure that doesn't look normal.
>>
File: cobia_08c_lures.jpg (79KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
cobia_08c_lures.jpg
79KB, 300x300px
Cobia jigs look more like arts and crafts projects than fishing lures.
>>
>>747588
Kek that's ridiculous.
>>
>>747588
I know a kid who's dad loved satlwater fishing so much that he named the kid Cobia.
>>
>>747583
I thought you were black
>>
Newbie here who asked for advice about a week ago. Went out for the first time yesterday.
>Found out I am good at getting knots in my line
>By the end of the day I was also good at getting knots OUT of my line
>Lost a spinner which got stuck on something underwater
>Caught a Pike that was under the legal size (I released it) and two sticks.

I had a blast, I was out for 5.5 hours and I can't wait to go again. Definitely going to get some more lures to try, but I'll probably hold off a bit till I know which of the lures I have work. Any recommendations of stuff to pick up? I've got a spinner, a popper, and a flicker shad.
>>
>>747607
Get some bullet weights and some 5/0 offset shank hooks and a variety of plastics, my go-tos are the baby brush hog, the senko worm and the lizard
>>
>>747041
Cool blogpost/10
>>
These generals have become complete shit with all of the trips sucking each other off. Why can't we have nice things, 4chin?
>>
File: IMG_0607.jpg (992KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0607.jpg
992KB, 3264x2448px
>>747620
Anon here posting fishes regularly. Doing what I can.
>>
>>747492
Back in November I rammed a solid object went over the bars and broke my wrist. The forks got bent too but I'm only now finding it
>>
File: nicebrown3.png (2MB, 1483x829px) Image search: [Google]
nicebrown3.png
2MB, 1483x829px
>>747620
Just keep bitching. Seems like that's all you faggots complaining can do anyways.

Not like you catch fish or anything. Just bitching and bitching.
>>
>>747604
He's a swedecuck
>>
Why can I NOT tie an albright knot. I"m losing my fucking mind here...
>>
>>747570
I fish stripers a lot at night, it's the best time to bounce eel jigs, I avoid full moons like the plague though.
>>
>>747657
A tip that helped me, if your going braid to mono, loop the mono and hold it with your dominate hand, pass the braid through the loop, cinch with dominate hand and wrap with other hand, while still holding the loop and moving the wraps to the same fingers doing the holding.

Holding with three fingers helps too.
>>
>>747633
summmanabitch.... that blows
>>
>>747644
I dont often fish for trout, is it fun?
Also does anyone here fish salmon?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-09-19-15-00.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-09-19-15-00.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>747666
Trout fishing is my favorite. Especially hunting in small Brooks and creeks.

Catching a small 6-10 inch brookies from a stream I can step over is extremely rewarding.

Big trout fishing is pretty amazing experience, so is watching a trout hit your dry fly. That shit is a religious experience.

I troll for Land lock salmon in the summers, but they can be a nuisance when targeting trout.
>>
>>747657
DONT. A surgeons knot is faster to tie and must stronger according to tests.
>>
>>747674
huh I'll have to give it a try, I usually fish places with bass, and have been meaning to try catching pike, time to add trout to that list as well.
>>
>>747679
Source.

It isn't the best know when going braid to mono or flouro, but it is good for mono to mono.

Flouro and braid don't act like mono so they demand different knots.

Tying surgeons from braid to mono is a bad idea, the braid will slip, which is why you use Albright. Albright also travels through guides much easier than surgeons knot.
>>
>>747685
http://www.saltstrong.com/articles/strongest-line-to-line-knot/
>>
>>747657
That's a line to line knot, right? Why not just do a uni-uni?
>>
>>747692
Guess you didn't read the fucking artixle. Or even the goddamn title.

It says (mono to mono)

Why is that? Because braid to mono is superior, and you need a different knot for braid. Hence Albright.

Reread the article.
>>
File: tfwnofish.png (1MB, 1209x708px) Image search: [Google]
tfwnofish.png
1MB, 1209x708px
Been out today just before wind picked up.
No bites whatsoever, but i loved being out there. I lvoe this spot.
>>
>>747695
>>747692
Mono or braid -> Terminal tackle = Palomar for mono, double palomar for braid.

Braid -> Mono = FG knot
>>
>>747704
I use FG for braid to flouro. Works well, typically use Albright for long mono leaders. Mine are usually 3+ feet for surf casting.

If I'm using bucktails I usually tie both leader and running line to a swivel.
>>
>>747588
>Doh!.jpeg
>>
>>747701
gorgeous. where are you at?
Kayak fishing always seems a tad intimidating
>>
>>747694
Yes, line to line, mono to braid, going by PP recommendation with the albright. Just not getting it for some damn reason. Tried the mono in dominant hand that other anon suggested. Almost had it. I'm just being stupid or something. Maybe watch a vidya
>>
File: 20160424130200.jpg (470KB, 1192x850px) Image search: [Google]
20160424130200.jpg
470KB, 1192x850px
first catch of the year reporting in
>>
File: 1234567.png (743KB, 1180x541px) Image search: [Google]
1234567.png
743KB, 1180x541px
>>747724
Croatia, Yurop.
Kayak? Im on a small pier.
In case you were speaking in general, unrelated to my pic, i would totally go yaking on the sea desu. But if i would catch a pretty big fish, it would probably pull me around a bit...
>>
>>747734
>April 24th
Better late than never I guess. Is that a northern or regular pickerel?
>>
>>747735
ah sorry, usually shots like that, with nothing around mean kayak. yea that's my worry catch something that'll rock the boat, or morelikely I overreact and flip. heck I work as a swimming director but the open water still scares me.
>>
File: rsz_1dscf5963.jpg (5MB, 3456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_1dscf5963.jpg
5MB, 3456x2592px
Caught a couple of green sunfish out of a little creek I didn't know had fish in it. Used a tiny jig with probably a size 12 hook gap and a small strip of smelt meat.
>>
>>747745
Yeah i didnt catch the shore on the right in the first pic.

Im not scared of the water, but id be pissed at all the gear i would lose in that event...
>>
File: image.jpg (99KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 960x720px
Who wants to take a trip to Minnesota with me?
>>
>>747740

northern pickeral im pretty sure, by the yellow dots

it's actually early right now, its closed season for everything but crappie and panfish. can't keep it.
>>
>>747761
Yeah I guesses northern because of then dots but I'm not very familiar with chain pickerel and thought maybe they could have those spots too.

How big?
>>
>>747735
That would be called a Nantucket sleigh ride.
Shit is the bomb.
>>
Just ate my 1st trout of the year. Grill with olive oil salt & pepper.
Brookie
>>
>>747766

no clue about the size, definitely over a foot and a half or so.

the law regarding closed season fish is pretty much get it in the water asap, no photos, no weighing, no measuring.my phone was already out on snapchat, i was just reeling it in because i thought the cast was a bunk and the fucker came flying at the line at the last second, dropped my phone and reeled in. quick photo, took the jig out and tossed it back in.
>>
>>747772
fuck I want to experience that at least once.
>>
>>747772
>>747798
I second this guy.

Although id have to use a shitty rod and a cheap lure....
>>
>>747801
Unless you get a large shark or serious fish they tire out pretty quickly. Think about what it would add to your kayak towing a 2nd loaded one. The drag wipes you out fast.

My fear is getting the large shark and having it come at me rather than running away...
>>
File: 2016-04-18_15.54.02.jpg (2MB, 1678x2982px) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-18_15.54.02.jpg
2MB, 1678x2982px
>>747766
Bad angel but chain pickle
>>
>>747772
Catching a 30+ striper from a white water kayak is considered a "saco sleigh ride"

The tide has to be going out too.
>>
>>747808
Sheeit that's a nice one to boot
>>
>>747808
what are you using for them, spoons?
>>
Thx all that commented
animatedknots.com
I just had to see the finished product. What was F*ing me up was teh doubling of the braid side and not realizing it wasn't going to all come together pretty.
>>
>snook ran around piling and broke 50# braid

REEEE
E
E
E
E
>>
>>747653
Eww
>>
File: IMG_0598.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0598.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>747847
RIP braid 20??-2016

U was good line

Ur death will not go unanswered.
>>
>>747701
Oh about this braid, yesterday was my first day using it and it gave me loads of knots.

Today it only gave me 2 or 3 on the first few casts... Later on it cast like a dream.
Same distance as mono, but with zero effort.

I am afraid to try and chuck it hard though, and afraid of jerkbaits, and poppers, because of all dat slack line you reel in...
>>
>>747866
Baitcaster or spinning reel?

I never had an issue with knots, but I do know braid can be a bitch to get knots out of if you pull them tight. The line tends to soften up a lil bit after some use though and gets more flexible.

>>747856
RIP In Peace
>>
>>747869
Pic in my post senpai.

Yeah the bigger ones werent a pain to un-knot, but the one small one wasnt even a knot, the line twisted in such a way that it created a tiny tiny knot, but all you had to do was give it some space and it undid itself lol.

It is showing signs of getting more flexible and getting less knots.
>>
>>747873
Oh for sure, I got confused since it was Anon. Is that the Daiwa braid or whatever? How long have you had it on? I love the PowerPro after it has been on a couple months.
>>
>>747876
Since i got it really... Probably about a month, cant really remember.
First time i used it the last two days.
Yeah, Daiwa Tournament 8 hyper PE
>>
File: IMG_20160409_103812261.jpg (5MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160409_103812261.jpg
5MB, 4320x2432px
>>747740
Not a chain pickerel, so my money is on a small northern
Chain pickerel have a light body with dark chains
See pic related
>>
File: _20160316_200547.jpg (2MB, 1540x3182px) Image search: [Google]
_20160316_200547.jpg
2MB, 1540x3182px
>>747879
Thats not even the big one whoops
>>
File: IMG_20160221_153446592_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160221_153446592_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>747880
And a little throwback to ice season
>>
>>747879
>>747880
>>747884
acutally that is a pickerel
a pike is darker and has marks on its fins- that one seems to be too light. also that eye trail(?) is too thick and long for it to be a pike.
>>
>>747888
ignore me I misread your post
I'm fucking retarded.
but shit them, and walleye and muskelunge are so darn similar
>>
>>747501
>>747734

this guy reporting in

noticed you guys talking about braided lines, the guy who gave me some advice in the morning said i should go pick some up. is there downside to it? im not exactly one to constantly be changing my line.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-24-18-50-13.png (977KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-24-18-50-13.png
977KB, 720x1280px
>>747888
>>747890
All good
I know my pickles man,
I attempted a video but it was shit since was recorded with my phone too
>>
>>747892
is there a particular difference among them and pike? I think pike are more native to my area but there are still walleye about.
>>
>>747898
Chain pickerel are basically small pike, musky are very similar body shape as well
They're all very similar and fish relitivley similar , only difference is size of lures
Walleye aren't anything like pike, pickerel, and musky, IMO
>>
>>747891
Main downside is the cost. And it is more visible in the water compared to mono but if you run moss green braid in most water, it will be thinner than equivalent mono anyway and I've never had a problem. If the water is super clear, you can run a flouro leader.

It lasts longer than mono, you can run it 5 years instead of one year. It is much stronger so if you are running 10lb mono, you fould switch to 20lb braid and it will be thinner, lighter, and cast further than the 10lb mono. It doesn't stretch like mono so you can feel every bite but you gotta be careful not to set the hook too hard otherwise you can rip the hook away from the fish too fast. My favorite thing might be the fact that it doesn't have memory like mono so you don't get the little curls and loops in the line. Braid is also more flexible than mono, especially once you break it in.

One more thing to remember is that braid is a little more bouyant than mono so it floats. Your lures might run a little shallower than with mono.

I think I covered most of it.
>>
>>747901
hmm, well what kind of lures do you use for them?
>>
>>747902

water here is that dark murky green normally in Ontario. the guy just did a very good improved clinch knot with a jig head on my line to set it up, i noticed quite a bit that it would drag alongside the bottom so switching to mono sounds like a good future purchase in this case.

how well does it deal with teeth? i have a few leaders, but the guy said not to use them since they add too much extra weight and nothing in season right now has the teeth to bite through it, but that pike caused a bit of fraying on the mono line i've got on. honestly the only reason i probably got that thing was because it was maybe three feet from the shore and furiously swimming in my direction, it turned away from shore maybe three times before i got it out, but like i said, still frayed the line quite a bit.
>>
>>747907

also, it completely fucking demolished the swimbait, had to throw it out since it was ripped into about four separate pieces.
>>
>>747907
>>747908
Wut? Did you say mono instead of braid for a lot of that or am I just confused?

I always do palomar knots with braid. They are easy to tie and work really well. And braid can fray a little with toothy fish, but they would probably cut through an equivalent diameter mono before the braid. If you don't want to do a wire leader, do a good flouro leader for a few feet. Flouro is low visibility so it will be good if you don't want to spook fish, and flouro is the most abraision resistant of the 3 main lines without going to steel.
>>
>>747907
fellow Ontario anon here, where about do you go fishing? I'm looking to get out of the city and spend a day fishing. Where would you recomend?
>>
>>747910

yeah i did woops

i meant switching to braid sounds like a good idea, but the pike caused fraying on the mono
>>
>>747905
Spoons are always a favorite , spinners , they tend to like flash,
Theyre preditory so anything anything that resembles the types of minnows/small fish that are in the same water
>>
>>747914

i live in the city too, but in ottawa. the rideau river going through the city and into the ottawa river has multiple spots on the shore to fish from, docks, conservation areas, et cetera. not really sure about other places, i've only fished muskrat lake and lake doré in the ottawa valley
>>
>>747917
Yea I figured. I'm worried they'll just bite/snap the line, but I feel if I do a solid clinch knot, it shouldn't break the 15lb braid
>>
>>747920
>i live in the city too, but in ottawa.
ah Toronto here, figure i'll go around an hour north and I should find some good spots.
>>
>>747922
Palomar knot for braid Bruh. Especially if you don't have a net to pull the fish up to you. Getting a fish close to shore, then having the knot brake sucks.
>>
>>746940
We use em in ny because you lose less fish.
>>
>>747922
I have gotten a few gar on 10lb-20lb PowerPro without an issue, and their teeth are sharp. Also the snakeheads but they bite spinners most of the time and I don't think their teeth really get to the line.

If you are worried about their teeth going through the line, I would run a few feet of flourocarbon. You can buy little 30yd spools made for leaders for pretty cheap I believe. Flourocarbon is really hard, just trying to cut through it with a kinfe you will see how tough it is. Run some 12lb or 15lb.

I guess with braid in that situation, the fish may still get through a couple strands but you should be able to land it. Just make sure to retie the lure if you notice any fraying. I guarantee those teeth will go through 8lb mono faster than 15lb braid though.
>>
>>747674
Same here. I got skunked last weekend and today though. Too cold still.
>>
>>747892
Yo where are the best places in CT to go after pike? Preferably central/ western CT
>>
>>747937
pallomar eh? good to know, thanks!
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 464x470px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 464x470px
>>747949
All about the palomar. I have never had one fail. They are really easy to tie as well and they cinch down really nice with braid and won't loosen up.

Knots tie better with braid anyway. It's almost like trying to tie a knot with a shoelace versus an extension cord. The braid being the shoelace. It is flexible so the knots kinda squish eachother and don't budge at all.
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 464x470px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 464x470px
>>747949
This is what I do for my braid to flouro leaders. I can tie them really clean and never have issues with them.
>>
>>747937
>>747910
>>747952
Double palomar for braid bruhs.

The silver lining on losing a lure thats stuck to the bottom is having your 40lb mono leader fail, and not your knots.
>>
>>747952
>>747955
awesome thanks!
>>
>>747962
Lately I have just been bending hooks off of shit before I break my 15lb braid.
>>
>>747761
it's a northern pike.

chain pickerel have a very VERY specific marking under their eyes.
>>747766
no such thing as northern pickerel. there is Northern Pike though.

northern pickerel is just slain for chain pickerel.

>>747880
>>747879
nice fish! the state record for chain pickerel up here is 6lbs. pretty sure I've beaten it, going to bring a scale and make it official over the summer when I hit pickerel waters.

>>747955
I use albright over this because the uni simply doesn't go through guides as well as albright does.
>>
>>747970

oh, thought pike was just short for pickerel. thanks for the info
>>
>>747975
no no no, it's funny though. that esox. the Esox Niger to be exact is actually called "Southern Pike" or "Chain Pickerel" It is related to the pike family.

more commonly used names are
Federation Pike, Jack Fish, Grass Pike, or the Niger Fish.

which literally means Black Fish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_pickerel
>>
>>747970
Never called em northern pickerel, we would just call them "Northerns" short for northern pike. We didn't really have the chain pickerel or any other "pickerel" proper in the northern midwest. Always just musky, northern pike, or the beautiful yet unholy tiger musky.
>>
>>747985
around here we have Chain Pickerel, then further north in the state we have Northern Pike.
>>
File: IMG_20160424_193937911.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160424_193937911.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>747948
No clue I've never fished for pike only pickerel
One anon who used to post caught them kayaking on the mattabassett River that's the best I can do for you
>>747922
Pickerel can and wil bite clear through any fucking braid, I run 20 lb on my main rod and have had 6 fish break off this year on braid, I run6 inch wire leaders
>>747970
Here's another i just caugh
>>
File: IMG_20160424_195527890.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160424_195527890.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>748007
How about another I just got
>>
File: huskyjerk.jpg (45KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
huskyjerk.jpg
45KB, 1155x1155px
Who you callin a husky jerk, eh?
>>
>>747760
I'm game
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 450x630px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 450x630px
>>748012
Yeah baby, they call me firetiger
>>
File: IMG_20160424_193722715.jpg (4MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160424_193722715.jpg
4MB, 2432x4320px
>>748011
How about a chunky lil bass I just caught
>>
File: IMG_20160424_194718391.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160424_194718391.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>748018
And one more while we're at it
Fished all day at 4 ponds and a Brook and didn't catch anything other then face
Fished pond a mile from my house for an hour right around sunset and got 4
>>
File: IMG_0781.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0781.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
In one month it'll be full of keepers. In 2 months it'll be wall to wall people...
>>
File: IMG_0779.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0779.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>748021
other direction...
>>
>>748018
>>748020
They look nice n healthy at least.

>>748021
That blows, I would avoid at all costs.
>>
File: 20160424_192206.jpg (835KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160424_192206.jpg
835KB, 2048x1350px
>>748020
>>748018
I got one about that size but less chunky
>Microfishing
>Catch whiner
>Rig 4 feet under a bobber about 2 inches around
>See bobber disappear
>Think nice bass or pike
>Its this little fag
>>
>>748007
a texas rigged jig fluke? seems succesful
congrats on all the catches
>>
File: anon060815.jpg (1MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
anon060815.jpg
1MB, 4320x2432px
>>748011
>>748007
wait you guys actually use steel leaders for these.

shit they don't fuck up flouro that bad lol I fish for them a lot and never had one rip my line during a fight. that fat hog that got off while landing though... fuck that fish. I do regret not having a good leader for that fish.

that is a really nice fish dude; have you been measuring them?

>>748021
man you should see the saco dam come memorial day. it's a fucking hoot, granted everyone knows each other and it's a big ol' fishing party. it's really fun. I've heard horror stories about the canal though; would rather fish elsewhere than that fucking shit river.

>>748018
>>748020
slaying it

>>748024
you guys on any fish yet? I heard a few were caught off race point last night. You should come visit up here when the canal bite dies down. Hell I may even try to plan a /fishing/ meetup and invite people to camp in my backyard forest which has a couple hundred yards of private saco river access [on the best stretch of stripern' besides the dam] There seems to be enough NE and northerners to have a decent get together. Maybe even get some of you faggots in the surf up at higgens
>>
File: image.jpg (68KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 500x339px
>>748035
How heavy is the flouro leader you use for em?

Flouro is rock hard, wire does seem like a bit of overkill for regular sized pickerel. Now musky fishing and I might opt for the wire.
>>
>>748029
Thanks man
>>
>>748044
15lbs
>>
>>748048
On the 6lb mono?

15lb is hard to cut with a sharp knife anyway. You would have hook a pickerel in the worst possibke spot and fight with him for awhile to break that off.
>>
>>748049
now on 10lbs braid, but yeah initially on 6lbs mono.
>>
Can someone explain to me the purpose of a football head jig? What does it do differently that a round jig head doesn't?
>>
>>748057
footballs move better along the bottom and I think tip up a bit more.
>>
>>748035
17 and 19 inches on the pickerel tonight
>>747880
was high 20,s when laying flat and streight 28-29 iirc
caught one i didnt picture at 31-32 inches

and yes ive been using steel leaders, after loosing 7 fish on 8 lb mono,one fish ( 30 ish inches) on 15 lb mono, and 3 on 20 lb braid(forgot leaders that day) im not taking any chances, though i may try some 12 lb flouro next time i go out
>>
>>746940
circle hooks are only the law for offshore fishing, you can use whatever you want in FL freshwater
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I don't know why y'all act like fishing is hard, just today's catch.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>748075 no problem
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>748075
So diffucult
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>748075
Like shooting fish in a barrel
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>748075
Throw it out, reel it in.
>>
File: 234523452626.jpg (73KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
234523452626.jpg
73KB, 640x640px
>>748081
ahh yiss love the black bombers
keep postin em

>>748081
>it literally is shooting fish in your man made, stocked, suburban barrel
>>
>>748075
:O
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>748087
Man made yes, but it's a big old quarry that filled in about 30 years ago.
>>
File: image.jpg (676KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
676KB, 3264x2448px
>>748075
Cotton mouth
>>
File: 167853110.jpg (346KB, 831x1024px) Image search: [Google]
167853110.jpg
346KB, 831x1024px
>>748092
oh that is cool as shit.

carry on
>>
>>748035
I used to use steel leader but now I go to 30-50 pound mono for a leader
>>
File: image_38.jpg (53KB, 500x477px) Image search: [Google]
image_38.jpg
53KB, 500x477px
I probably should just read the sticky, but I'm just going to ask my dumb question
What's the difference between different types of lures? For example those rubber ball looking ones and the ones that look like a bass
>>
>>747835
That was on a jointed rapala
>>
>>748114
They work differently and are used in different situations.
For example, in murky water you use a bright lure so the fish can see it, and in clear water you use a more earthy/natural tone. If the fish are feeding very actively and aggressively, you can use a popper. If they're lethargic, use a wacky-rigged worm to maximize your chances, etc.
Once you get a good handle on what the fish bite on around you, you'll probably use 10% of your tackle box 90% of the time, but until then experiment with what you use and ask other anglers where you fish what they're using.
>>
File: 20160424_213213.jpg (866KB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20160424_213213.jpg
866KB, 2576x1932px
Alright /out/ r8 my 1st albright knot. 1st time using braid and the power pro booklet recommended it.
>>
I tried fishing a lake near me from the bank the last two days and haven't had any bites. The shores are all just a bunch of rocks, seems the bottom is too because I keep getting snagged down there. Are there certain lures that might work better there? So far I've tried a spinner bait (with and without a trailer), a rooster tail, and a Texas rigged plastic lizard. Next time I think I'll work a football jig across the bottom and try a 4 ft depth crank bait, but it's there anything else I should try? I'm wanting to catch bass and crappie.
>>
>>748120
Thanks for the clarification, anon!
>>
>>748122
wayyy to many wraps.

I'll tie one and take a photo
>>
>>748123
Oh and meant to add, there isn't much vegetation, just some tree branches poking out in some places. I tried casting the spinner next to those but came up with nothing
>>
>>747583
Confirmed for southern white trash. How many "cigs" you smoke today? How's life in the trailer park treatin' ya?
>>
>>748129
Well shit. The powerpro booklet said 25-30 wraps. I'm using it to atratch 300yd of pp to some mono backing...How fucked am I? How many should I do next time I do this?
>>
>>748141
oh for backing...

you should be fine. I don't go over 10 wraps. usually 6 for lighter line and 8-10 for my salt rigs.

If the bump from the knot isn't too big you should be fine. I'm trying to take a photo but my phone camera won't focus on the my knot.

Also are you pulling all the tags, and main lines while tightening the knot simultaneously? and did you wet it?

Also "snap" the line after tightening a few times, it helps to set the wraps in straight even order, then cut the tag lines AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the knot.
>>
>>748156
Did all that, snapped it twice. Good info tho. Thanks, amigo
>>
File: 65475674567.jpg (18KB, 325x448px) Image search: [Google]
65475674567.jpg
18KB, 325x448px
>>748166
once you get it though it gets better every time you tie it.
>>
>>746931
This MFer caught a 13lb Brown near me in Cali yesterday, and ery buddy is going crazy.
>>
>>748203
damn I want to see that fish
>>
File: Hugemotherfuckingbrown.jpg (209KB, 960x564px) Image search: [Google]
Hugemotherfuckingbrown.jpg
209KB, 960x564px
>>748208
Here go.
>>
Had my first trout smash a dry fly today. Decent 16" Cutty. I almost orgasmed. Sorry no pics, am homo. First time I used a dry. Normally a nymph/streamer guy... Way happy.
>>
>>748229
Cutty Fly Guy Again. Weirdest colored brown I've seen... Then again I'm in MT.
>>
>>748254
It's a Loch Leaven brown, they're that greenish silver.
>>
>>748229
Very nice fish!
>>
>>748257
Nice! wasn't questioning your prowess master ;)
>>
>>748122
FG is superior to that.
>>
>>748275
What do you catch there in Croatia?

I'm assuming you go freshwater mostly
>>
>>748306
>>748306
Nah senpai, 100% sea here.
From shore, as my outboard is ded.
Ive caught horse mackerel, seabass, bluefish, gilthead bream, other forms of bream, and some other forage fish.
But you can get amberjacks, bonitos, false albacores, mackerel, even tuna.

Most can be caught frkm shore but that needs the right mix of conditions.

(pic related here) >>747701
>>
>>746940
I love them.
Best shit there is.
>>
>>748075
Dem pre-spawn bass in unpressured lakes are always a blast.
>>
>>748035
>on any fish yet?
Only report I've heard of are schoolies and there were supposedly some holdovers that are keepers kicking about. Mild winter..
> saco dam hoot everyone knows each other
I guess local at the canal aren't quite so friendly if you try to fish "their" spot.
7 mies on both sides you'd think there'd be room for everyone but it's a wierd bunch. If somebody scores on watermelon everyone starts changing to watermelon and crowding that spot.

>camping visit
That could be fun but I work a flex schedule and never quite know when I"m going to have free time. We should definitely try to hook up at some point.
>>
>>748433
>If somebody scores on watermelon everyone starts changing to watermelon and crowding that spot.

That would piss me right off
>>
>>748229
fek yar!
>>
>>748433
What are you guys using for lures? I hear a lot of those canal fags are chumps.
>>
>>748455
think 12 lb flouro would be a sufficient leader for pickerel? even when live bait fishing?
>>
I'm not sure what in want to bring with me to the lake today. Fly rod or meme caster?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>748478
Both
>>
>>748467
yeah why not. I use a bit heavier flouro but you should be fine.

>>748478
why not both?

I'm heading out to kayak up river, we have a nice tidal coefficient and it should be effortless to get up to my dam. Going to see if I can't pull anything out, very doubtful though it's still a dead river until the shad show up.

Skid, going to ship your flies tomorrow. Hatchery anon, should have yours tied and finished in the next few weeks. Would be sooner but I have a big trip planned
>>
>>748478
skid send me your addy on youtube.
>>
>>748485
I don't think you even know where you're sending them
I'll send you my address on the YouTubes
And I can bring both now that I think on it
I move some boxes to another pouch, make some room, and stuff it in
>>
>>748484
I guess I can stuff both in my box
>>
>>748497
You ride the bike when you go, right? How do you carry all your rods and stuff?
>>
>>748497
snet, will send you the tracking number in a few hours here.

time to jump in the kayak and hit the river
>>
>>748502
I'll get a picture
One second>>748508
>>748508
>>
>>748519
>>748502
4 rods, a telescopic pole, a fly box, 3 spools of mono, 5 bags of soft plastics, pliers, splitshot, bullet sinkers, two bottles of water, some other junk
It weighs 25-30 pounds fully loaded but has a little room to spare
>>
>>748524
>>748502
Oh and 3 of those flat tackle boxes
>>
File: 20160425_101547.jpg (2MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160425_101547.jpg
2MB, 2048x1350px
>>748502
Forgot pic
>>748524
>>
File: 20160421_181143.jpg (1MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160421_181143.jpg
1MB, 2048x1350px
>>748529
>>748524
>>748502
Here's one with just two rods in the field
I stuff my riding gear in that top box and have a helmet lock so nothing gets stolen and I don't have to carry it around
>>
File: Lg 2016-04-24.png (1MB, 1053x599px) Image search: [Google]
Lg 2016-04-24.png
1MB, 1053x599px
Frigid windy day yesterday. Water temp still only 44 deg but was catching decent SMB. Also a nice 23" Laker.
>>
File: IMG_20160425_102332698.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160425_102332698.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
>>748524
Christ you carry all of that?

>pic related
It's what I carry on my yak

Light rod for bait (mackerel, river herring, shad)
Inshore rod for striper, bringing the baitcaster because the stradic and ssv bls need to be spooled.

Drybag with jacket, lunch, Wallet, spare battery, spare camera mounts, baofeng radio for emergencies

Pack has 1 spool of flouro leader, 1 spool of mono leader, small tackle box with a small selection of plugs, and a bucktail box.

>>748529
>>748531
That isn't bad at all! The description made it sound bulky.

Nice bike, super jelly. Have fun guys!
>>
File: Laker 2016-04-24.png (1MB, 1080x590px) Image search: [Google]
Laker 2016-04-24.png
1MB, 1080x590px
>>748533

Said Laker. These things are a blast to fight.
>>
>>748538
damn nice fish!
>>
>>747620

I agree. It is nothing but shitposting by tripfags anymore. There have to be like 3 new ones per day. Theyre always 200+ replies. All the content is wiped away every day. I say fuck general threads and start independent fishing topics in the main board.
>>
File: fishing-photo-299x300.jpg (32KB, 299x300px) Image search: [Google]
fishing-photo-299x300.jpg
32KB, 299x300px
>>748540
so instead of 2-3 good OC producing threads, you'd prefer 10 random ass fishing threads.

why not just make /out/ into /fish/

these generals are good, and have been on /out/ for a long ass time, there used to be other trips in the old fishing generals, and they always ALWAYS start getting fast when spring turns.

you must be new here...
>>
>>748535
>Nice bike
Not really
Bent forks, missing radiator shrouds, cracked cowling, scratches up and down both sides from being layed down at low speed

But yeah you'd be amazed what can fit in a small pack.
If I layed it all out most people would say "that shit doesn't fit in there" but there it is about 18 inches x 12 inches by 15 inches give or take
I used to tighten it down to maximum tightness but now I loosen it just enough that it rests on the passenger seat a little
>>
>>748538
Noice

>>748531
U carry 1pc rods like that?
>>
>>748531
>>748529
is there a better way to carry two peice rods? i don't know how to feel about biking with the rod pieces pointing out so much. Idk if they would bump around that much or not
>>
>>748554
I've never had any trouble till today.
I either forgot my telescoping pole or it fell out of my pack. I've when here a while and forgot water so I'm about to pack up head home get water and look for my pole on the side of the road along the way. If it's lost ove got justification to splurge on a 20 foot if I find it wonderful.
>>
>>748548
No I tie those to a small bit of metal frame with a red piece of cloth on the tip
>>
Any anons have experience with the MTB or LTB panfish boxes? Are they even worth it?
>>
>>748591
>>748554
Well I lost my telescopic pole. I can't find it here and didn't see it by the road on my way home
>>
File: IMG_20160425_114918476.jpg (4MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160425_114918476.jpg
4MB, 2432x4320px
18 1/2 inches maybe 2 lbs

Had the dark spots on it they sometimes get
>>
>>748621
I'm sorry to hear that bud.
>>
>>748637
I've never seen those spots
>>
File: IMG_20160425_135427904.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160425_135427904.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>748668
This is maybe only the second time I've seen them
Nice little bass though
>>
So i remember someone was trying to experiment with teaset rig set up on here. I want to try it out for surf fishing with a spinning set up. I would probably put a swimbait or spoon on the mainline and a small grub, fluke, or gulp sandworm on the teaser. What is the best way to set it up to avoid the teaser leader from wrapping around the mainlinr during casting. Is a teaser rig worth it if you have to cast repeatedly or it's not worth the hassle and risk of line tangling.
>>
So bass are rolling up on frogs but I lost mine to a tree. How do I fake a frog?
>>
>>748703
Catch one and let it swim around
>>
>>748708
>stick the biggest hook you have through a live frog
Sounds fun
>>
>>748610
The panfish one has to be better than the catfish box. It's probably like the trout box where you will get some little grubs or crappie magnets, a small spinner, some hooks, and maybe a small crank. I kinda wanted to do it, but there is by far the best selection of bass lures.

>>748637
>>748678
Do you only see them on big ones?

The bass here look a lil different than northern bass too. They rarely have a distinct pattern along the side. They have a really dark back and lighter body.
>>
>>748713
How2hook frog for best action¿
>>
>>748717
I've only seen then on 2-3 pilounders
Livelining a small bluegill right now in hopes of a big bass
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>748718
Run one hook through each of the rear legs/feet and maybe another through the lip/face.

>>748721
Shit, I haven't done that in so long. I barely even catch bluegill around here anymore because of those Mayans. But they are honestly fun to catch so whatever.

You can see those lines on some of these bass, but nowhere near as distinct. And the top half of them is almost black. I wonder if that's the "Florida Bass" or if there is really any difference. I couldn't tell looking at illustrations of the two species.

Debating whether to chill and watch TV or go fishin for a minute. I always feel so tired on Mondays when I spend the whole weekend out in the sun.
>>
>>748728
>Run one hook through each of the rear legs/feet and maybe another through the lip/face
Fuckin metal. I probably couldn't do it though. I don't like using live bait in general bc I'm a pussy
>>
File: IMG_20160425_152411539.jpg (4MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160425_152411539.jpg
4MB, 2432x4320px
>>748735
I'm the same way couldn't use a live frog as bait , minnows sure

One more somewhat sizable bass for the day
>>
>>748746
Damn, you really like those white Zoom flukes, huh?

Is that water pretty murky?
>>
>>748746
Also, how are you rigging them? You just swimming them or running em along the bottom? I wanna try some flukes on those shaky head rigs.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 236x276px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 236x276px
Where is Canada anon who bought all that new shit last week? Did he ever get out and test some stuff?
>>
>>748762
Canada anon here. I just got a tackle box today, and am loading line. I haven't gone fishing yet to test the stuff out. Schedules been off, and trying to coincide it for when my dad and I can head out together. I've been trying to find good spots to try them out at, and we'd have to drive about an hour to any to them.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>748767
Google maps it and do what I do. I have 4 or 5 decent lakes within like 10min of me. They are all in little commercial and industrial parks.

Did you end up getting that Canadian Tire rod or you sticking with the Quantum?
>>
>>748749
>>748750

They've been working

Water visibility 1-3 ft depending on sunlight

Rigged with a 3/0 or 4/0 wide gap gamakatsu
Sometimes I run weightless though normally run one large splitshot right above the hook (since I don't have bullett weights )

Retrieve varries but most of the time it's a steady retrieve slow ish constantly twitching the tip of my rod,
Il make a few pauses on my retrieval usually 1-3 ft past cover on the way in
>>
>>748773
So how deep you think you're swimming them with the split shot? Near the bottom?
>>
>>748775
When I first get to the lake I try different depths when I find where fish are I try to replicate it , usually swimming halfway down the water column ( that being said I tend to fish in water less than 6 ft so I don't think it matters too much
>>
>>748770
got the canadian tire uprgrade, retruned the other quantum for no hassle, saved a few $ and came out on top- the canadian tire rod is alot nicer. thank goodness the flyer for the sale came.
>>
>>748785
That's cool. I still reccommend keepin an eye out for local lakes in business parks and stuff. It's great if you have an hour or two after work and lots of times they are loaded with bass and panfish.

If I ever go to Canada, I'm going to make it a point to stop by Canadian Tire. /o/ makes it sound like such a magical place.

I also want to stop by that Marden's place if I'm ever in Maine.
>>
skid czech youtube messages
>>
>>748816
also hatchery anon, ill have some flies ready for you in about 2 weeks. going to be busy over the next couple days.

if anyone of you faggots live in CO hit me up, going to be trout fishing over the next week in those parts.
>>
>>748794
finally set up tackle box but too nervous to keep loose hooks and weights banging around so I keep them in their bags, and as for the soft baits, idk if it would make a difference in or not.
>>
File: IMG_20160425_173023.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160425_173023.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>748823
whoops, pic related.
more than I thought I had.
>>
>>748817
Whenever works for you man, you sure you don't want some ice fishing jigs or some shit?
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>748823
Did you get an old school box or a bag?

Bags are the way to go, I have a 3700 box full of hooks and weights. But if you got a regular box with the flip top, I would reccommend grabbing a small clear plastic Plano box with a few slots and dividers. Put the hooks, weights, and other small shit in there and keep it in your tackle box. Like the little 7-slot box on the side of this pic.
>>
>>748827
Oh, you got a box like that? Disregard what I said here >>748830

You can keep them in the packaging if you want, but those little dividers keep hooks and swivels and shit in place pretty well. I never have problems with them spilling into other slots.

I thought you got a big plastic box with the fold out tray and you were afraid of keeping the hooks in that tray.
>>
>>748831
naw, it's a waterproof plano that I got for 13$
bags were a little too pricy
nice to know the weights and hooks will be fine. yea I wanted it compact so I can stick it and my rod in a backpack and bike to a lake.
>>
File: Satisjaure-Satihaure-Gallivare.jpg (332KB, 1024x673px) Image search: [Google]
Satisjaure-Satihaure-Gallivare.jpg
332KB, 1024x673px
>>748828
nah need to clean my tackle drawer out for some new balsa.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>748834
Here's my hook box and very rarely one of the real tiny hooks will try and slip halfway under a divider. But the eye of the hook always stops it. And that box you have is better than these basic ones. If you want to take the hooks out of the bag, you will be fine. They will stay in their little compartment.
>>
Bout that time for a new thread...
>>
File: 23452345.jpg (123KB, 591x600px) Image search: [Google]
23452345.jpg
123KB, 591x600px
>>748834
throw that fucker in a backpack and you will be good.

I try to keep my hooks and terminal in individual bags. 35mm Film Canisters work extremely well, they also fit in most divided cases.

>>748830
>those bulging mepps sections
>pic related
>>
File: image.jpg (68KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 450x600px
>>748840
2manyclothes

And the Mepps box is actually ok, the crankbait box is the one that won't close properly anymore. But bigger regular spinners and buzzbaits can be a bitch to get into those slots. Needs some modification with the Dremel like that saltwater box.
>>
>>748680

Make a small 4 inch dropper loop 12"-15" behind your main bait/lure. If you use thick leader, it wont be able to twist.
>>
>>748713
>Biggest hook you have
I think an 8/0 circle on a 150 pound test steel leader might be too big
>>
I just saw the tits on the frontpage, but this thread reminds me.

When I was visiting family in Minnesota, there were people fishing everywhere. Especially poor people, seemed like anyone wanting to save a dollar on dinner was out fishing. Was pretty cool.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 91

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.