[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hammock VS Tent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 30

File: image.jpg (56KB, 640x456px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 640x456px
Alright sc/out/s, I'm going innawoods in a month, should I go tent and sleeping bag or hammock + sleeping bag + tarp?
>>
Get one of those hammocks that has a support and turns into its own little hanging tent
>>
>>746389
If there won't be trees, I'd recommend a tent. If the ground will be hard or uneven, I'd recommend a hammock.

If you've never hammocked before, borrow one from a friend or buy a cheap one at Wal-Mart. You probably won't regret spending the $25, even if you do decide to use a tent on this trip.

In my opinion, hammocks are better for a single person, tents are better for couple and families.
>>
Hammock and tarp. Take a sleeping pad in case you have to sleep on the ground.
>>
I used to have a tent, to be honest Im never going to use it again, literally the most useless and heavy piece of gear you can carry. Learn to sleep on the ground and you'll gain time and weight. Always carry a small hammock just in case and you'll be fine OP
>>
>>746389
Hammocks only work well in fair weather and in wooded areas, everything else is tent land and weather.
>>
>>746455
Underquilt, bitch.
>>
>>746457
In the end it gets heavier and more expensive than a tent setup and you still do not have the same level of shelter. There is a reason only a marginal group of people use hammocks for camping and pretty much everybody else sticks to tents an tarps.
>>
>>746425
OP will need a pad anyways unless he's got an underquilt.
>>
File: winter_hammock.jpg (5MB, 4160x3088px) Image search: [Google]
winter_hammock.jpg
5MB, 4160x3088px
>>746455

No.
>>
My tent weighs 2kg. I can pitch it anywhere. It offers superior protection from the elements and bugs and it takes me around 5 minutes to pitch by myself.

Hammocking is great but for peace of mind and reliable shelter i always prefer a tent.
>>
>>746480
Sure, it works really well, if you build a tent around it...
>>
>>746489

Yup, wrap a tarp on it and it's pretty sweet. You don't have to look for clear, even ground to set up camp.
>>
>>746510
Yes, instead you have to look for strong trees with the right spacing in between.
Get over it hammock fags, it is a nice setup for recreational hangouts, but if you are into hiking and such, you'd use a tent.
>implying you ever seen a tru hiker with a hammock
>>
>>746512
In addition to tents being better for the environment. In more travelled areas land managers have banned hammocks because hammockers have to leave the established campsites to find trees suitable for hanging, leading to a lot of vegetation trampling. Kind of a minor point but something to keep in mind.
>>
File: yLt7Id8G_400x400.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
yLt7Id8G_400x400.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
>>746393
Underrated comment
>>
>>746512
>tru hiker
Your logic is very flawed.
>>
>>746407

Mr Obvious here.

If you need to go somewhere I recommend walking

If you need to sit down I recommend sitting

No fucking SHIT if theres no trees a hammocks no go.

>>746455
Kek no. 4 season hammocker here.

>>746611
Yeah I'd like to see your sauce for this. Seems like a load of shit, next you'll be saying they're installing toilets in the wilderness because people who need to be have been leaving the established trailers and campsites to go pee, leading to a lot of vegetation trampling.

It's about as sound as the argument that the hammocks damage trees. YES if you look at it in a very narrow way with certain criteria met - no tree straps used, cord used,
>>
>>746653
Tents go everywhere, hammocks go only innawoods.
>>
>>746660
Tents go everywhere, apart from on slopes, rocky ground, thick brush land, and swampy ground, off the top of my head.

I can play this game too.
>>
File: iceland.jpg (263KB, 1250x828px) Image search: [Google]
iceland.jpg
263KB, 1250x828px
>>746668
No you cant, you find a place for a tent everywhere, be it mountain or or desert, can't say that for hammocks. Thats why nobody hits the trail with a hammock.
>yes, it is the special snowflake of /out/ shelters
>>
>>746653
>Yeah I'd like to see your sauce for this.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backcountry-regs.htm
>Hammocks may only be used within designated backcountry campsites.

Not outright banned, but you have to be within the camping site, you cannot go outside it to find a suitable place. Also, it's anecdotal but people have been denied their use of hammocks in state parks:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hammockcamping/comments/48xvzn/hammock_tents_being_banned_in_state_parks/
>>
>>746389
Fucking all night in a tent, during a rain storm, is way easier than fucking all night in a hammock in a rain storm.
>>
>>746774
This. How are me and my gf suppose to fuck in a hammock? I'll stick to my 3 person tent since I'm not a weak manlet.
>>
>>746458
http://theultimatehang.com/2012/04/the-truth-about-hammock-camping-claim-1-hammocks-are-lighter-than-tents/
>>
>>746425
Hamock, tarp, pad, sleepingbag = godmode setup. Comfy int the trees with the underpad. Comfy on the ground with the tarp. Probably the most versitile for the weight setup.
>>
Question for my hammockfriends:

What do you do in really high winds? I imagine there are lots of places to put guy lines on your hammock so you don't swing like a bell all night.
>>
>>746389
>should I go tent and sleeping bag or hammock + sleeping bag + tarp?
damn OP if you've not come up with the right combo of shelter to suit your needs yet. you might want to rethink your plans.
I've been a tent/bag person for a long time, but open minded enough to try a hammock....maybe.
>>
>>746407
>If the ground will be hard or uneven
kek
>>
>>746435
Why would I want to gain weight?
>>
While a hammock is fun, if you're just starting out you should get a ground tent first because it is a more versatile piece of equipment. This is a fact. A hammock is something you purchase afterwards because you are familiar with the terrain you will staying in. It's common sense and there is no reason to restrict yourself for future trips to only places with suitable trees right from the get go. A hammock should be viewed only as a specialty peice of equipment that allows you to optimize your setup for known conditions.
>>
>>747475
I carry a hammock and a bivvy. On the rare chance that I end up someplace that I can't hang, I roll out the ground pad. And even with both, it far lighter than my tent.
>>
>>746768
Hammock fags BTFO
>>
>>747488
then you own a heavy ass tent. a contemporary 1 person tent should weigh no more than 2lbs all together.
>>
>>746389
Hammock all the way. Make sure you get a light sleep mat or an underquilt though if it's gunna be cold
>>
>>746512
>thru hikers don't use them
But they do
>you have to look for trees with the right spacing
Most hammocks are adjustable you tent fag
>>
>>747708
>But they do
sauce please then
>>
>>747708
>with the exception of XY mountains where I had to stay in shelter because no trees...
>oh and shelter here and shelter there
>actually I used the hammock only as backup and stayed mostly in shelters.
>>
>>747715
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Hammock+thru+hiking
>>
>>746668
Would you rather use a hammock here?
>>
>>747719
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/36064-Hammock-on-CDT
>laughingwhores.jpg
>>
File: image.jpg (435KB, 940x1073px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
435KB, 940x1073px
>>746389
Tents.

I don't fucking trust the tree.
>>
>>748652
Wait, I thought those were covered hammocks. What is a hammock? What is a tent? What is real?
>>
>>748772
Those are portaledges and they're more tent than hammock by far.
>>
Tent, because I like keeping my gear inside with me; away from the skinwalkers.
>>
>>748652
I'd rather not sleep there at all
>>
File: beesnblossoms.jpg (134KB, 1328x639px) Image search: [Google]
beesnblossoms.jpg
134KB, 1328x639px
I would say hammock, sleeping bag and a bivvy sack and a tarp. I personally find tents to be a waste of space most of the time.

However I do have a tent-hammock and I fucking love it. I can set it up in a tree (between trees, buildings, rocks, etc...)as a hammock or on the ground as a tent. Most of the time I simply sleep in my bag with a gortex bivvy around it. Then tarp my pack and head.

My tent hammock has a bug net and optional rainfly. The bug net is great for places like the deep south where there are tons of ticks and other bugs; or when you are sleeping in a bunch of apple-blossoms and don't want to fuck with bees (pic related).

I think it depends on where you plan on going and what you plan on doing. My favorite hot spring has few pads to set up a tent on the mountainside it is located on. So If I want to sleep comfortably and not have to fight friends or other campers over the good spots: I just hang out above the rocks and chaos.
>>
>>750626
Also my experience is from hiking, hitchhiking and freight train riding for years. I have lived out of my pack for years at a time. I have found this to be the most practical setup so far with four-season use. Very adaptable in varying climates.
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 443x332px
>not sleeping in a swag
>2016

bunch of bloody drongos you lot are
>>
Modify a sleeping bag to slip over the outside of the hammock so it doesn't squish. Problem solved no under quilt involved.
>>
>>750626

Looks comfy, anon. What brand / model?
>>
>>750692

Not gonna lug that fucking huge thing around.

>Car camping =/= camping
>>
>>748688

That's why you carry a decent tarp. Trees = hammock. No trees = tarp as tent / bivy.

Problem solved, you vexatious groundplebs.
>>
>>748652
that's neither a hammock nor tent you fucknugget
>>
>>748772

Is this the real life?
>>
>>746389
am i the only one here who sleeps with a hootchie (small tarp) above me and a sleeping mat on the floor? im in australia i have used this set up in winter and summer just fine.
>>
>>753450

I've done it before, was ok. It's my backup if I go somewhere with no trees. I only have a yoga mat as a sleeping mat at the moment, so won't be doing it in winter.

Hootchies are the duck's nuts though, you've got yourself a bivy bag, shelter and tent in one.
>>
>>753290

Is this just fantasy?
>>
>>753980
Caught in a landslide
>>
>>753450
In New Zealand it gets too cold during the winter to get away without a sleeping bag. A low tarp is as good a tent
>>
>>753994

No escape from reality
>>
>>753996
open your eyes
>>
>>754000

Look up to the skies and seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>753979
Yea but nah... spiders, mozzies.. .the fuck cunt. I'd never do that.
>>
>>754018

Well you have to use a bug net of-fucking-course

I've got a pyramid-shaped bugnet that I hang underneath the tarp from the ridgeline. It's way better than being in a sweaty tent during summer.
>>
Whatre the odds bugs climb down your hammock straps and eat your eyes out while you sleep?

More or less likely than sleeping on the ground?
>>
>>754366

Nah they just crawl into your dickhole

Makes for an interesting morning piss
>>
>>746974
A proper tarp will block most of the wind anyways.

You can get a hammock with tie outs, I don't use them though.

It's actually been proven that gentle swaying motion, such as a hammock in the wind, helps people sleep better.

My last hammock trip was in December (been busy since, wife had a baby) and wind was 35 mph gusts, my tarp blocked 95% of the wind, and I was only using a small tarp.
>>
File: DSC01810.jpg (620KB, 1616x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01810.jpg
620KB, 1616x1080px
>>
>>746974

I string my tarp along the ridgeline for my hammock, so it's hunkered down real good, so I barely get any movement from wind. However I actually like it. When it does happen it's just a gentle rocking motion like being on a long distance train.

You can attach guy lines on most hammocks though if you really want.
>>
>>755010
>underquilt

What are you, a woman?
>>
>>755193
Get back in your tent Caitlyn Jenner.
>>
File: 0429161755.jpg (1MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
0429161755.jpg
1MB, 2048x1350px
>>750699
So much this.
>>
Christ man,You dont need to be so edgy just get a tent and a sleeping bag!
Do you really want the insects crawl all over your body while you sleep?
>>
File: 0429161147a.jpg (560KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
0429161147a.jpg
560KB, 2048x1350px
>>755245
>I'm afraid of being /out/, so I need to separate myself from it as much as possible.

Keep on typing. That'll show us.
>>
>>755239
My god this is the greatest idea ive ever seen
>>
>>755274
Right? Lol.

It saves me from having to carry an underquilt or pad, and stays toasty warm. It does have to be hung fairly tight though, because you can't lay asymmetrically in it (I'm a side sleeper anyway).

I reinforced the hole under the hood with some 1" webbing and the bottom of the hammock is just sewn into the seam of the foot box.
>>
>>746480
seems like a pain to get in/out of.
>>
>>755306
Im a side sleeper as well. How do you set up your hammock for side sleeping?
>>
>>746512
> you have to look for strong trees with the right spacing in between

That's true, if you look at the picture he clearly found the only two trees that would work with.
>>
>>755313
I don't really do anything specific aside from hanging it tight. It helps that the bag is a little wide for me, I just roll to my side, jacket stuffed under my head as a pillow, usually bending the lower leg up to account for the low spot in the hammock.

This bag is rated at 5F° so I really only use it for winter camping. That photo >>755239 was taken at lake Dorothy in western Washington. Lake froze at night, it was so cold. My summer setup is just as novel; no hammock, no tent, just a CCF, bivvy and liner rolled up as a single unit. Nearly weightless and comfy down to 40F°, it's all I plan on carrying on the PCT, unless I run late in the pass and have to pick up my hammock again.
>>
>>755359
*And no sleeping bag [in my summer setup] .
>>
Tree? What's a fucking tree?

t. Highlands.
>>
>>747715

http://appalachiantrials.com/appalachian-trail-thru-hiker-resources-2/appalachian-trail-thru-hiker-gear-list/

Second category from the top. Wow, that was fucking hard.
>>
>>755573

see

>>753213
>>
Quoted the wrong post.

You
>>755382

see

>>753213
>>
Tarp. No question.
>>
>>746435
What are ticks?
>>
>>746668
Ive overnighted on thick brushland, swampy ground (within reason) and slopes while hunting. Cant see why rocky ground wouldnt work either
>>
>>747621
Confirmed
>>
Don't hammock if the area is full of mosquitoes. You'll spend the whole night hearing them buzz around trying (successfully) to get in or biting you through the material.

You can be a fedora and buy mosquito nets made for hammocks but tents are just better.

Seriously, nothing's worse than listening to that annoying whine and feeling the little shits bite through. You can put a blanket underneath but if one gets inside it'll be hell
>>
>>746389
If getting cold has ever crossed your mind even once, get a tent. If not, hammock is fine.
>>
>>760210

>neverbeenhammock
>>
>>746389
Honestly, I carry and use both, depending on the situation.
Tents are more useful-
>if it's very windy
>if you're camping with multiple people
>if you need to store a lot of gear
>if the weather is very cold

Hammocks are more useful-
>when the ground is rocky, wet or uneven
>in heavy rain
>when it's very hot
>for relaxing in during the day

Hammocks are also modular, meaning you can take only what you need. (Not expecting rain? Ditch the rain fly. Not expecting bugs? Ditch the bug net. Not expecting it to get cold? Ditch the sleeping bag and ground pad, just use a sheet) You can also buy different accessories depending on what you need, like a gear sling, ridgeline, etc.
>>
>muh hammock
>cant carry a 3lbs tent

tree niggers
>>
File: Swedishchefmyspace760269.jpg (63KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Swedishchefmyspace760269.jpg
63KB, 600x600px
I just ordered a TTTM single in black, to gez a feel for it. If i like it i'll order a DD ftravel bivi, i like that it is a hammock and a bug bivi in one.
>>
>>761254
Why overburden yourself if there's a possibility to go lighter?
>>
>>761254

I just don't like having to deal with wrangling the poles and fucking about putting it up. I use both but I prefer the hammock in the warmer months due to the simplicity of it.
>>
Could you use a sleeping mat in a hammock as an under quilt?
>>
>>761382

I just throw my mat in the hammock and lie on top of it. Works fine.
>>
I went camping last weekend and brought an OR alpine bivy to sleep in and a hammock just for a campsite luxury. The second night I was tired of how claustrophobic the bivy was and couldn't fall asleep so I threw my sleeping bag in my hammock and slept in that. The sleeping bag compressed where I was laying and it got a little cold at times, especially because it was windy that night, but compared to sleeping on the ground I slept like a baby. I was planning on getting a more spacious 1 or 2 person tent to replace the bivy, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just get set up for hammock camping. I don't think I'll ever sleep that well on the ground.

I still want to get a tent because of the versatility. I want something I can bring my gear inside of to keep dry and away from bugs, and something I can sit up and around in at night or during the rain. A hammock setup seems less versatile in that respect, but goddamn did I sleep good.
>>
>>761388
Yea thats how i meant
>>
File: Cabelas Alaskan Guide winter.jpg (37KB, 610x458px) Image search: [Google]
Cabelas Alaskan Guide winter.jpg
37KB, 610x458px
>>746480

How do you put your boots on? How do you get dressed? Where do you keep your stuff?
>>
File: hammock.jpg (108KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
hammock.jpg
108KB, 500x334px
>>746768
>Hammocks may only be used within designated backcountry campsites.

What kinda campsite doesn't have trees?
>>
File: IMGP8960.jpg (164KB, 800x529px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP8960.jpg
164KB, 800x529px
>>762150
idunno how anon does those things just based on his 4.79MB picture but i always hang a small hammock next to my sleebin hammock so i have a "staging" area and bench. i can sit on it and store my stuff on it and pretty much get in and out of my hammy without having to pussyfoot on the ground in between
>>
>>762155
I kno this isn't the fucking thread bug gosh dem thighs
>>
>>748652

What do you do if you've got to take a shit?
>>
File: image.png (194KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
194KB, 500x333px
>>762158
Wut hammock? The big one that is
>>
File: arrow-down.jpg (13KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
arrow-down.jpg
13KB, 600x600px
>>762163
what are you serious? this is literally the easiest place on the planet to decide where the shit goes. no shovel needed bréh.
>>
>>762166
DD jungle hammock, with two of the DD fitted tarps (one on the canopy and the other on the bottom to block wind - it was about 10ºF that night)
>>
>>762167

I can see pissing in a bottle and dumping it overboard but taking a shit requires specific body position/movements.

Do you squat inside your cliff-face-hammock-tent and shit in... a bag or something? Or do you hang your ass out the door while holding onto the cliff-face-hammock-tent and bombs away?
>>
File: Eureka Timberline winter.jpg (439KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Eureka Timberline winter.jpg
439KB, 1024x768px
>>762158

Presumably you also string a tarp over both hammocks, otherwise your stuff and you will get wet and snowy?

At that point, why not just use a tent?
>>
File: hammuckstuff.jpg (69KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
hammuckstuff.jpg
69KB, 700x500px
>>762173
well, I bag my stuff with simple 0.01oz trashbags depending on the weather outlook. i do just fine not groundplebbing. i've found the setup and teardown is a lot easier when everything is suspended and not in the dirt, especially when there's rain or snow
>>
You should have in your arsenal, 1 good hammock, 1 good tent, 2-3 good tarps, and a good amount of paracord. You should also know how to make your own shelter. Bring whatever combination you please depending on your particular camping trip. Does this make sense?
>>
>>748652
>crazy ass white people
This is mortifying
>>
>>762219
>falling for the paracord meme

because everybody needs bulky, heavy, stretchy, water saturating shit-cord! the only thing going for it is it is cheap!
>>
>>762345
>bulky
what is paring?
>heavy
this gun weighs 3 pounds oh my god this hurts!
thats you. youre that guy
>stretchy
what the fuck are you even talking about
>water saturating
hurr durr i cant fathom twine/bankline would ever soak up water!
>cheap
fucking where, seriously help a nigga out.
>>
>>746668
>slopes
lol i cant sleep on slopes oh noes
if the ground slopes you slope too

>rocky ground
hey you know that tarp you bring along for a roof? we bring it as padding.

>thick brush land
just clear land nigger

>swampy ground
ill admit you got me there
>>
>>762349

>tarp as padding

kek you're a chump. do you bring shoes to wear on your head, too?
>>
>>762348

you're actually retarded. compare paracord to any decent cord - ABORIST THROWLINE or SK78 sailing cord or similar and you'll see my point.

Paracord IS bulky, why carry 4mm cord when you can carry 2mm,

Stretchy, its a NYLON cord and hurr durr nylon stretches when its wet. Hence, YES its stretchy

water ingress, again, nylon, water ingress.

Cheap, it compared to dyneema cord which is what I'd recommend to anyone actually wanting decent rope.

Place for everything. Ridgelines, guylines, lengths of rope you intend to use and reuse - INVEST in decent cord

Cord that you'll cut up, use to tie shit and leave, generally don't care about, keep a shank of paracord.

Paracord is the hugest meme ever. Once upon a time it was dirt cheap because surprise surprise they had loads of parachute surplus and loads of parachute cord.

It got used, the surplus is gone, prices rising, but people STILL USING shitty paracord.
>>
>>762345
You are a goddamn idiot. Paracord is the best and has never once failed me.
>>
>>762363
I'll choke you to death with some fucking paracord you little cunt
>>
File: 1459734889686.jpg (40KB, 542x542px) Image search: [Google]
1459734889686.jpg
40KB, 542x542px
>>762219
Makes sense. I don't have a hammock yet, but it is ordered (TTTM single for testing if i'm comfy, if i like it, DD Travel bivi). Until then: get bent hammock fags, tent masterrace coming through.
>>
>>762492
>>762493

Never put a bend or knot on paracord, had it rain, and swell up the knot?

Never set a structural ridgeline that was taught only to find it slack by the morning?

Srsly, get off your armchairs and go inna.

Use what you want but don't shill paracord as an amazing cord when at best it's passable in function.
>>
>>761557

That's not an underqulit. An underquilt is something that hangs underneath your hammock.
>>
>>762150

>How do you put your boots on?
You sit up in the hammock and hang your legs off the side, like a chair.

>How do you get dressed?

Usually I'm alone so I just stand up and do it. If I'm with a group I go off in the woods a little way or pull my tarp off so it's hanging between the ridgeline and the ground, and it covers me.

>Where do you keep your stuff?

I hang my rucksack off the tree strap. I also usually put up a paracord 'washing line' which I hang my dry bags and some other items I use frequently from.
>>
>>762172

As if you wouldn't want to hear the anguished screams of someone walking along underneath the cliff as your glorious diver bomber slopped all over them?

>I call them 'cliff bars'
>>
>>762345

What do you use then?

I'll agree it's not perfect but it's a good all-rounder. Definitely not shit.
>>
>>764285

Depending on the application I use,

- SK75 sailing rope, such as by Kingfisher, it's a dyneema braid with a core, get it from 2.5mm up. Doesn't stretch, doesn't soak water, doesn't get squashed and so knots don't bind.

- Amsteel / Dynaglide, hollow braid dyneema. Spliced. Good for regular applications like structural ridgelines, hammock suspension, soft shackles, etc etc. Doesn't like knots.

- Paracord, when I need odd bits of length as I don't mind cutting it up because it's cheap.

I can guarantee you if you 'invest' in decent cord for your tieouts/ridgeline you'll see by comparison in use that paracord is not the be all end all.
>>
>>763347
It is an amazing cord. Holy fuck dude. You must have no idea how to tie knots.
>>
what do you guys think of this hammock http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BEP6S7I?psc=1
>>
>>746389

Sup OP,

I was a tent camper for the first 22 years of my life, never even attempting to sleep in a hammock before then and here's what I've got to say on your topic.

Tent camping is really nice to have a very simple roof put over your head, and lulls you into a safer mindset during your stay, which can make sleeping easier for some people. Along with that, you don't really need to worry about finding two trees to set up, getting your rope around it, setup, etc. Also, obviously, tents are far more versatile when it comes to terrain accessibility. I use a tent whenever I got camping with my fiance, we use a Kelty TN2, and it's a pretty nice little tent, really light weight and durable with nice features.

That said, I went a few years back and decided to try out Hammock camping and GOD DAMN SON it has to be the absolute coziest way to sleep while /out/. I never had any problems getting into the hammock, and was snug as a bug the entire night up until my shoulder came up over my sleeping pad, but that's just easy adjustments. I'm not that great at tying knots and have little experience with hammocks (only set one up around 6 times) so my rig can get a little messy at times, but I think this is just something you get better at over time. I don't have a brand name hammock and really want to upgrade sometime soon, considering my stuff sack / pocket is starting to lose it's stitching and the hammock is ripping in a few places - just try not to get super frugal when purchasing one, your ass is hanging in it after all, and falling through if you got a cheapo is bad times in the cold dark night.

I would say with the hammock a sleeping pad is 100% required, at least in cold conditions. I'd have had a right shitty time in my hammock if I didn't have the pad. I used a ~40 degree rated bag with a wool blanket and was snug as a bug in a rug.

tl;dr Hammock is better comfort / lighter. Tent is better for camping anywhere if you live in geographic rich areas.
>>
>>764475

I should clarify that tl;dr, when I say rich I do me diverse. I'm in Utah and go in the desert and mountains, so a tent has a higher requirement for diversity's sake.
>>
>>764475
Total agreement on the comfy bit. I can't sleep in a tent for shit. Some /k/omrades brought me up to speed on hammocks while we were at an event. Borrowed one, used it, and bought an ENO setup the day I got back to town.

Takes a bit of practice learning how to position your pad and sleeping bag so they don't slip all over, but after you do its great.
>>
>>762345
Agreed. Paracord is shit. People for some reason like it.

It's definitely too stretchy for many of the uses I need.

Something like amsteel is lighter, and has 3x the breaking strength.
>>
>>764466
Cheap, made in china. Might work fine, might dump you on your ass at 3am.

If you want a name brand hammock for dirt cheap get a grand trunk ultralight. Like $13.99 on amazon. It's a little small, but works fine. I use mine for day hikes since it's small.
>>
>>764861
ENO
N
O

MEME
E
M
E
>>
>>765005

But dat price tho
>>
>>764466

For $15 bucks it's gonna have shitty fabric and shitty stitching. Don't trust anything from Chinaland.

The only things I'll buy from chinese resellers is stuff that has low / no consequence if it fails and stuff that is hard to get wrong in the first place, eg. plastic mug, camping cutlery etc.
>>
Hammocks are good, assuming that the woods are right for it.

I don't think I've met anyone in NSW who uses one. Tents are a lot less limited when the trees are scraggly or have scrub between them.
>>
>>753211
Mate swaggies used to walk for miles with all their shit wrapped up in one slung over their shoulder.
>>
>>765005
Someone with a bit of sense. Tho I wouldn't recommend amsteel for every application, either, as it doesn't take knots well at all and is very slick, and compresses due to lack of core.

>>765021
Omg £1 a meter (and cheaper in the US FYI), suck it up bro.

I bought a 7m length of SK75 at £1.50 a meter, so like just over a tenner. I've used that as my tarp ridgeline for the last SIX YEARS and it's still going strong. I've had my monies worth.
>>
>>750692
So good except they're huge and heavy
>>
>>765146

Omg not everyone lives where you do, shitstain. This is the internet, wrap your head around it
>>
>>765165

First off, you've fudged that, as minimum order is 5m and that is pic related.

Also, 33.20 aus dollars for 5 m is approx 6$/m which is approx 3£/m

so its TWICE as expensive not 9 times as expensive as you're trying to imply.

Also, being needlessly aggressive does nothing but show your insecurity and immaturity.
>>
>>765172

Cont.

http://www.ropedirect.com.au/shop/product/spectra/

1.56 AUD / m

you're welcome faggot.
>>
>>765172

omg then why did you do it? Suck it up, bro
>>
Wich one is the best hammock?
>>
>>765527
Eno Double Nest is fucking epic

Fuck what anyone on here says about Eno
>>
>>765527
>▶
the one I'm banging your mom in
>>
>>765527

Like any equipment, the one you should go for is the one that suits your needs.

Want to go ultralite? Maybe a DD from the superlite range

Over 6 foot? Make sure you get a hammock that's 3m or longer

Live in the tropics? Maybe a jungle hammock

Etc
>>
File: 20160506_091635.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160506_091635.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>765530
Literally cannot agree more. I was a big tent fan until this past weekend. I went on a backpacking trip and the weather had been wet/cold plus I forgot a sleeping pad. I brought my Double Nest that my wife bought me a couple years ago but I had never used. That paired with a tarp cover and surplus army woobie as an underblanket, I was so fucking comfy.
>>
File: 1459559277399.jpg (301KB, 600x456px) Image search: [Google]
1459559277399.jpg
301KB, 600x456px
>>765177
>1.56 AUD / m
>cheap

Stupid faggot, I can buy paracord for 0.5 NZD/m and a value pack of 200m for $25.
>>
>>765870

Where from?
>>
>>765530
A doublenest is epic if you've never had a great hammock. They're only okay. They're too short and too heavy for my taste.
>>
>>765876
My local army milsurp store
>>
File: image_9.jpg (23KB, 236x316px) Image search: [Google]
image_9.jpg
23KB, 236x316px
>>765870
> buy paracord
Americunts. When will they learn?
>>
File: 1356054827333.jpg (114KB, 620x912px) Image search: [Google]
1356054827333.jpg
114KB, 620x912px
>>765884
You're either an eight foot tall skinny-as-fuck manlette or completely full of shit. At 6'5" I have zero issues with length. The weight is also negligible if you have ever carried anything more than a purse.
>>
>>746768
>implying to government tells me what to do on my (as a taxpayer) land
>>
>>765869
What size tarp do you use? Is there any reason to get the single over the double?
>>
>>767699

MFW Ignorant americans really think this

>inb4 britbong
>inb4 eurotrash

Neither kek
>>
>>767803
Either way you're some dumbass foreigner that doesn't understand why our country was founded. The government is supposed to work for the people, not against it.
>>
>>767922
them, rather.
>>
>>767922

>Thinking that the government allowing anyone to do anything they want is working for you

Oh stupid yanks with spacious skies
And amber waves of shit
>>
File: omo-6.jpg (389KB, 1200x1500px) Image search: [Google]
omo-6.jpg
389KB, 1200x1500px
>>767590

>mfw
>5'10''
>builds his DIY hammocks 12' long
>>
File: image.jpg (265KB, 645x877px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
265KB, 645x877px
>>746458
Just come clean and admit that you can't handle the idea of bigfoot creepin up on you in the middle of the night and sticking his thumb up your anus, through the hammock. To be a hammocker one must have no fear of random but stuff
>>
>>746458

>heavier

Unlikely that a 3m piece of fabric could be heavier than a tub floor plus fabric plus tent poles plus tent pegs.
>>
>>768074
It's not necessarily anything I want, but it should stop them from putting up asinine restrictions.
>>
>>768211
>>768211

You seem to think any regulation at all is 'asinine'.

Good thing nobody cares what you think
>>
>>768249
Just because "no one cares what I think" doesn't mean I won't voice my opinion. Regulations like telling me where I can camp or making me pay for campsites are asinine, whereas other regulations make sense. If it weren't for stupid people we likely would have fewer regulations, but that's not how the world works unfortunately. Now go and suck big governments dick you faggot.
>>
>>768257

Literally no-one listening
>>
>>768279
You are
>>
>>768280

Literally no-one
>>
>>754009
They're all just weak fags, they have no real masculinity
So it's light weight come, light weight go
Always hammock, never tents no
They'll not last a week so, doesn't really matter to meeeeeeeee, to meeee
>>
>>760004
you are of course aware the bug net is supposed to hang away from your skin
>>
>>768296

kek nice
>>
>>768291
You
>>
>>768374
Nobody at all mate.
>>
>>746845
Are you gay? It's easy as shit to fuck in a hammock.
>>
Any of you own or ever use a double hammock? I'm sort of interested in getting one this Summer. Can they comfortably fit two people with a quilt or bags?
>>
>>755193
Yeah, real men don't use pads when sleeping in tents either. Real men just dig a hole in the dirt to rest their erection in while sleep-fucking mother earth all night.
>>
>>768630
It'll be a tight fit with bags on. There's not much extra room after two are in it with just clothes on, depending on the build of both people.
>>
>>750692
I mean it looks nice. I'd get inside it but I'm sure it's a pain in the ass to drag around

...Oh were we supposed to be talking about the tent?
>>
>>750692

They look comfy but dat price man

Plus they don't exactly look like they're designed for hiking.
>>
>>768630
Double hammocks aren't really meant for 2 people. I don't know why theyou always try and say that they are.

Sure there is room for 2. You can lounge with 2 people in one.

But to sleep it, it's a nightmare. You'll wake up pressed hard against the other person with a layer of sweat between you both, with aches from odd places your bodies press too hard against. Just the way a hammock pulls you to the lowest point means you are constantly being pushed too hard against the other person.

Inb4 that's what she said.

It's not fun, trust me. Just buy 2 hammocks for 2 people.
>>
>>771428

can confirm.

a LARGE hammock makes a big difference but. In length and width mind you. DIY 4m hammock much better for two people - as long as you don't mind spooning the whole night.
>>
File: 1459798041628.png (271KB, 539x580px) Image search: [Google]
1459798041628.png
271KB, 539x580px
I am curious about this as I have never camped in a hammock.

Can a gf fit with you to sleep in the hammock?

Is it comfortable?

Can you fuck in there?
>>
>>771876
Yes.
No.
Yes.
>>
>>748652
Two words-
FUCK.
THAT.
>>
Hey, fags, looking to buy a hammock. I've been on the look out for different options, noticed the Grand Trunk Double, but it seems that it might get expensive here plus all shipping, even from the euro amazon (i'm a eurofag). My list is now down to either a snugpack tropical hammock (yes i would change the suspension), which is locally available, or the DD camping hammock, which i would have to order. I do have to keep in mind, that i am 6'3 and someone mentioned, that for someone that tall a 3 meter hammock should be used. W8ing for opinions on that. Also suggestions for a poorfag like me are welcome.
>>
>>771876
Depends how big you and your gf are. yes you can sleep the night but it's not as comfortable as the hammock to yourself. And yes you can fuck in them. Recommended.
>>
>mfw I use the eno double nest so that I can cuddle with my rucksack
>>
How do you know if someone is a v̶e̶g̶a̶n̶ sleeps in a hammock

>Don't worry they will tell you all about it
>>
is sleeping in a hammock comfortable?

also, does anyone here have experience with a Hennessy hammock?
>>
>>772913

They are infinitely more comfortable, and better on your back. If I wasn't interested in sex I would actually replace the bed in my house with an indoor hammock. I normally sleep on my side or face down but in a hammock I can actually sleep on my back or in any other position without any problems. The difference from sleeping on the ground or even a normal bed is that there's no real pressure points and I think that's were a lot of aches or morning stiffness comes from, so when I sleep in a hammock I wake up with no need to stretch.
>>
>>746653
In the Adirondack High Peaks they actually do put toilets in high traffic wilderness areas to keep people from going off trail and damaging vegetation.
Thread posts: 196
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.