[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How Eco Friendly is /out/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

File: yee.jpg (227KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
yee.jpg
227KB, 1000x1200px
Honest question lads. As people who identify themselves as regular outdoors men do you feel obligated to protect the environment?

I know a lot of you normally go camping so I figured you'd go out of your way to make your outdoor experience as eco friendly as possible. Like you wouldn't wanna be that asshole who straight up drinks a can of beer and throws it in the woods would you

Or be that REALLY BIG ASSHOLE who cuts down trees but doesn't bother replanting new ones
>>
>>745707
I always clean up after myself.

Right before I leave, I plant a little tree.

I even recycle my urine.
>>
>>745708

Easy Bear Grylls
>>
>>745707

As a Wildlife Biology major I'm pretty into conservation. I do my part to ensure that our natural resources are healthy for the future and I encourage everyone to do their part.
>>
File: Clear Cutting.jpg (507KB, 1100x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Clear Cutting.jpg
507KB, 1100x1500px
>>745711

The SAY organization is friends with the Redwood Conservation Core which is run by this gruff southern dude from Texas

Apparently California is really inparticular about "lighting forests on fire" to promote new growth because apparently it "raises dangerous amounts of Co2"
>>
>>745707
I am not a bushcrafter, so I respect the environment and try to preserve it for the future
>>
Well I try to not fuck the areas I camp or hike at by leaving trash behind or killing the remain wildlife. When at home I try to not waste water and energy, the economical part has a saying on that too. I would say that I'm an eco resposible sc/out/ but not a tree hugger one though.
>>
>>745719

It still feels good contributing...like plating your own food or growing your own tree.
>>
I feel obligated not to mess up where I like to be, but I'm not going to attach a phrase like protecting the environment to my activities like I'm some sort of captain planet.
>>
File: Asami-trees.jpg (370KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Asami-trees.jpg
370KB, 1000x1000px
>>745736

Bruh you don't need a cereal box ring from a show to prove you love and respect the environment

Just do the opposite of what Greenpeace does which is violence and eco terrorism
>>
>>745721
I do neither of that, not because I don't like it but since I live in apartment I can't.
>>
File: DSC_0061.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0061.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>745707
Russia - yes
>>
>>745707
I'm eco friendly. I don't make a mess or leave any rubbish behind and if I come across any rubbish while /out/.

I'm a big believer in anti materialism/anti consumerism though. I dislike how we're doing destroying nature just so we can live unnaturally; consuming and watching TV like zombies instead of being hunter gatherers.

Hell we're mostly a nation of socially inept males who waste their lives playing call of duty like it matters; we have record highs of depression and mental illness because people have so much free leisure time to be bored and focus on the little unimportant things; they think they're sad because they can't have what they desire when really all we need is nature, our friends and to know our own minds.
>>
When I get ready to leave I always pick up all the trash from my campsite or fishing spot even if the trash wasn't from me.

I only cut down trees on private land (clearing fence rows, cutting trash trees out of the woods, cutting in a road/trail, removing trees that are just "in the way", etc.) I'll end up planting about 400 or so red oaks this year though so my tree cutting gets evened out.
>>
>>745707
/out/ is one of the boards where people actually do what they preach and go /out/, maybe not as often as we would all like. So my guess is that we all put a lot of effort in keeping the areas we visit as clean as we are able to, and to make as little impact as we can, because we are likelly to go back again. Now I can't think of someone from /out/ just chopping a tree down for the lulz. If we need or want to make a fire we would look for dead wood and branches, which is abundant in any forest. Only newfags and hipsters will throw green wood into the fire.
>>
>>745707
Littering is something a redneck lardwhale will do. Go ask /k/
>>
>>745711
How is wildlife biology like what you do
>>
>>745707
LNT is ridiculously simple to adhere to.
>>
File: ecod.jpg (37KB, 300x468px) Image search: [Google]
ecod.jpg
37KB, 300x468px
Full-blown treehugger reporting.
>>
Eh, one can of beer isn't a big deal. I do make sure to shit in rivers though so other people don't have to see it.
>>
File: doublewide_w:AC.jpg (68KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
doublewide_w:AC.jpg
68KB, 500x385px
>>745987
You sounds like best camper.
>>
Very much so. I even pay more for eco-friendly items, and buy used so no new resources used. Currently lowcar, going carfree soon, gonna rent one when I need to go /out/ or go with a group. Bike commute/public transport. Got my entire family to start recycling. Use as little heat and a/c as I can. Etc.

also especially damn people who litter while /out/. I go there to get away from that shit. Fucking gamerade bottles and wrappers and shit. Sometimes literally shit, bitches change the diapers of their crotchfruit in the woods and leave it there. Fucking cunts.

>>745998
There's one literal autist in my /out/group (open to anyone who wants to come) who brings a fucking box fan with him. Says he can't sleep without it. Really the most unbelievably literal fedora autist I've ever met. Not even kidding, he brags about his fedora collection.

Fans and other electrical appliances in the woods triggers me.
>>
I never litter, ever, couldn't do it in good conscience, littering is white trash tier. Depending on how much of a burden it is on me I might pick up someone else's trash but I'm not a saint. I don't chop down trees for stupid bushcraft stuff but I don't plant them either, like some people in this thread evidently do. I sometimes saw up fallen trees with a folding saw for firewood and I do sometimes have campfires depending on the location. I know it's better for the environment to let the log rot and decompose and let the fungi and bugs do their work but, like I said, I'm not a saint.
>>
I follow the lnbftnbp shit like everyone else here. But, the problem with working in environmental law is that it really drives home how futile trying to protect the environment really is. Sometimes I catch myself fantasizing about just burning the woods down before some come-here who knows nothing about the local economy turns it into a subdivision that just rots when no one can afford to move into the Mcmansions they bulldozed a 300 year old forest to build.

The difficulty in protecting something is that you have to sleep some time, and that's all the opportunity rich old faggots who won't even live long enough to see that they lost money destroying rare habitat need.

To put it in the vernacular, yes i mad.
>>
>>746027
how does he power the fan? or does he just cuddle with it?
>>
I'm pretty eco friendly, I don't litter, I always make sure to dump my garbage in a nearby lake. Some people get really mad about this and I have no idea why.

I've noticed that if you throw something into a water body, like a lake or an ocean, that the next day you come back and it's gone. So somehow it takes it away and filters it through and cleans it up like a garbage compactor or whatever. That's not really littering if you ask me.
>>
>>746027
>gonna rent one when I need to go /out/
Most rentals specify paved roads only, you're going to get raped on penalties
>>
>>745707
I don't leave a trace after my campsite... usually...
Clean after myself, use only fallen wood etc.

So yeah, I'd say you are obligated to protect the enviroment... gotta leave some of that outdoors for the others
>>
>>745707
meh, LNT is pretty much BS and 99% don't follow it and 100% of the ones who preach it and carry on about don't remotely practice it. I've been out with LNT'ers and not one was close.

Personally I don't give a crap and just make sure stuff isn't left in view. Bury it or leave it out of the way. Everything decomposes in time.
>>
>>745707
Gonna be honest here, I'm the guy who chucks beer cans all over the woods

I also bring glass bottles and plastic jugs /out/ to shoot at and just leave the mess there when I'm done

I also hunt and fish without a license and pay no attention to bag limits

Man was meant to dominate the environment and do with it as he wishes, there's nothing moral or practical about being a "good steward"
>>
>>746129

Then you're cool if I come in your house and shit all over the place?
>>
File: 1456728659788.gif (307KB, 488x519px) Image search: [Google]
1456728659788.gif
307KB, 488x519px
>>745707
I don't litter in the woods. And I only disturb the woods if i need to get some fire wood(find branches that have already fallen and drag them to the fire pit.
I hate it when u stumble upon a casual campsite littered with empties and trash
>mfw
>>
File: tooObvious.jpg (23KB, 368x382px) Image search: [Google]
tooObvious.jpg
23KB, 368x382px
>>746129
>>
i pick up trash as i go

i stay on the trail

i yell at littering chinks
>>
>>745775
pls kill the snake
>>
ITT
A bunch of liars that call the only ones telling the truth trolls.
>>
>>746236
Thank you
>>
>>746236
>littering chinks
Why are Chinese so disrespectful and filthy?
>>
>>745707
just picking up the trash that i or my predecessor left, also cover up the place that i made my fire at with rocks
>>
>>746027
ive heard people with tinnitus sleep better with fans on, because of the ambient noise
>>
>>747066
Where I live the woods are noisy as hell constantly, except in the dead of winter when there's snow. Nature is damn noisy.

>>746027
My problem with sleeping without a fan is that I need cold air movement. Without it, I overheat quickly even when completely uncovered. Not sure why, but it fucking such when you're out camping in 80% humidity 90F nightly weather.
>>
>>745707
Bump
>>
>>746037
Likewise. I have no problem with burning dead fall, or occasionally felling a small tree when I need a ridgepole (though I try to find one that's going to get shaded out anyway). Trash gets packed out or burned, depending on what it is.
>>
Who are the worst people for litter

indians, niggers or the Chinese?

I think the worst ive ever seen was a shri lankan family who just fucked up evrything
>>
File: ak74 underfolder.jpg (52KB, 743x548px) Image search: [Google]
ak74 underfolder.jpg
52KB, 743x548px
>>745887
Who speaks our name without fear in their voice?
>>
Full blown eco-nut here
Take only photos, leave only footprints
>>
>>747095

Me too. I have a fan going on me at work even in the dead of winter. Pisses off my coworkers.
>>
>>746843

Who fuckin knows. Even other Asians look down on them. I spent a year living in Korea and the Koreans and Japanese that I met were openly racist against them, talking about how they were poor dirty peasants.

>They're the Ireland of Asia
>>
>>746623

ITT Unsuccessful trolls
>>
File: autism identification patch.jpg (654KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
autism identification patch.jpg
654KB, 1080x1920px
>>745887
I consider myself more of a s/k/out/
People who litter are absolute scum
>>
>>747095
>>750815

Fatty McNuggets detected
>>
>>745707

Definitely feel a sense of stewardship for the enviro while /out/. Pack out rubbish, including others when I see it. Use only deadfall unless absolutely necessary, generally don't shit things up and try to restore the status quo before leaving a site.

Important thing is that it's stewardship, not straight up preservation. So much in the same way that I'm down with hunting non-protected species in a sustainable way, I'm not gonna explode with autism because someone uses a few branches to build a shelter or whatnot. If anything, people should be protesting the frakking companies, not some guy who wants to practice bushcraft.

>trees are a renewable resource
>>
no litter, keep trails neat, ecofriendly at home
vegan as well if that counts
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>745707
I try not to leave trash everywhere when I go fishing. I don't really pick up other people's trash, but get pissed off when there are tons of empty worm containers or hook packages.

Not really an "environmental" thing, but I'm just not trying to leave a mess and have people get pissed at fisherman for leaving trash all over.
>>
I WANT TO """"""LOVE"""""" KORRA
>>
>>751009
>keep trails neat
It's OK to leave markers as long as I pick them out on the way out if I go back that way, correct?
>>
I just throw my orange peels by the side of the trail while /out/ they are biodegradable so its fine.
>>
>>751083
Shit, at least burn or bury them.
>>
>>751178
>Shit, at least burn or bury them.
No, I help fertilize the forest by leaving them to decay naturally.
>>
>>746078
>Sometimes I catch myself fantasizing about just burning the woods down before some come-here who knows nothing about the local economy turns it into a subdivision that just rots when no one can afford to move into the Mcmansions they bulldozed a 300 year old forest to build.

So the best means of conservation is not tampering with interest rates?
>>
>>751009

Being Vegan never counts.

>But you still tell everyone anyway
>>
>>751012

Rusty hooks and tangles of old line are the worst. That, and the abandoned trot lines
>>
>>751188

Ouch! kek

You just gave Alan Greenspan a mild stroke
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.