[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Army destroying my feet.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: cdn_cmbt1.jpg (84KB, 700x703px) Image search: [Google]
cdn_cmbt1.jpg
84KB, 700x703px
Hey /out/.

I have been in the army for a few months now and every ruck march we go totally annihilates my feet. I have tried moleskin, double socks and foot powder. But my feet still get destroyed. Any other military members or hikers have other suggestions or tips? Or should I just suck it up.
>>
>>742148
What symptoms are you having? "Destroyed my feet" can mean a lot of things here.
>>
>>742148
Hiker here; never worn army boots but I'll let slip what I did to stop wearing blisters.

I wear my shoes tighter. Blisters are caused by friction so you gotta annihilate that friction Anon.
>>
I want to know what type of damage you have.
>>
>>742159
The first time we went about 14km with a 70 pound pack in around 2 hours. With the horrible army boots on it was like walking on a cheese grater. My one foot started bleeding half way through and when I took my book off I essentially had no skin on the backs of my heels. Added to that I had around 13 blisters all around my feet. The second time wasn't as bad but I still came out with a fuck ton of blisters. Same story for the third time.

Is this just something my feet will have to adjust to?
>>
File: footcare4.jpg (129KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
footcare4.jpg
129KB, 1500x1125px
>>742166
Like this essentially.
>>
Infantry boots and hiking boots are virtually the same thing. I don't know if the poster is having friction sores, fungal growth or a combination.
>>
>>742170
Sounds like you have major friction issues. Do you feel your feet moving around inside the boot? Could be that you have the incorrect size boot. Make sure you're lacing your boots correctly and they are tight. Wear socks with liners to help reduce friction as well. How broken in are the boots? Wear them whenever you get the chance.
>>
>>742215
I can feel movement inside of my boot it's not much but I can wiggle my toes. I am wearing a new pair right now to break them in. Should there be no friction at all? Or is a little fine?
>>
Blisters are caused by material sliding against the skin directly. Socks are intended to stick to the feet and act as a second skin that will take the sliding instead of your skin taking the sliding. When a sock fails and starts to slide against your skin, you get blisters.

There are few ways socks can fail. they can be stretched out so they are baggy in one or more locations. They can get wet from sweat or other water source. They can be worn through until they are no longer cover a section of your skin.

Some of the methods to prevent problems are to wear double socks, stuff your shoes/boots toes with something to help prevent sliding front-to-back (helps prevent heel blisters). Use insert padding to lift the top of the foot so it makes solid contact with the shoe (helps prevent top and bottom blisters). You can also use tape directly on your skin (if you are not allergic to the adhesive) in spots where the sock is sliding. Water/sweat will affect the tape's stickiness which may add to the problem.

You can also use tape to fold over and tighten baggy areas of socks. This may or may not help depending on the type of problem. Having a few pairs of brand new, dry socks to change into every few hours, if you can, will help. Wearing socks that are slightly smaller then your normal size may also help.

Typically, boots that do not breath will kill your feet. Making them fit your feet properly is normally the only course of action you can hope to achieve that will prevent blisters.

When you can, ask your medic what you can do about it. They may have some tried and true solutions.
>>
>>742221
>Should there be no friction at all? Or is a little fine?

zero friction

friction = blisters
>>
>>742228 >>742229
Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.
>>
File: SH0236.jpg (62KB, 900x376px) Image search: [Google]
SH0236.jpg
62KB, 900x376px
>>742221
You should be able to wiggle your toes imo. Use more tape (duct/athletic tape). Maybe invest in good inner soles. I got superfeet soles which reduced my blisters a lot, probably in combination with better taping.
>>
why did you join the military?
>>
>>742333
Going to go fine a good pair of soles this week. Any brand suggestions?
>>742370
For many reasons. It's going to be paying part of my school. To improve myself, family tradition and it is something I've always wanted to do.
>>
>>742148
Like what the other anons said, eliminate the friction as much as possible; see if you can get a smaller sized boot. Otherwise do your laces up as tight as possible and wear thick socks.

Do you tuck your trousers into your pants? If you do try getting a blousing band or using the pull strings on the bottoms of your pants. I used to tuck pants into my boots and it was a bit uncomfortable, but now i just tie them off at the top of my boot and it feels alot better.
>>
>>742228
If there is not room for two socks would pantyhose type thing work?
>>
I haven't had any blisters since I've switched to wool socks. They're expensive but they're worth every penny. They're also a pain in the ass to wash but you don't actually have to wash them every time you wear them. They don't hold a stink at all.
>>
>>742148
Re-lace so the laces go vertical between the grommets where the material in your boot bunches when you bend your foot upward. It will be just above the crease of your ankle. That will reduce chafing from your foot moving in the boot.

Also use athletic tape on your heel and any blister spots, it sticks and stays better than moleskin and breathes better than anything else.

Lance the blister with a knife or needle and drain the fluid first. Always lance blisters or they will get larger.

Finally, wear boots that fit, I don't have issues with issue boots because I got the correct size and I used the above techniques.
>>
>>742613
Don't wear two socks. Lace your boot correctly, its obvious that your boot is tight above the ankle and not below it.
>>
Fellow army here, my feet have always been fine on ruck marches, and I think I figured out why (although I'm sure the reasons are listed already):

Boots that fit, and have been broken in
Good socks
Good inserts for boots

And that's pretty much everything. I've been rucking in the issued boots up until Christmas and I've been fine (just recently switched to danner after getting shit for my uncleanable boots), I also just switched from the wool liner+ green sock combo over to foxriver socks, foxriver is better, but wool+ green should be fine.

I also think some people just aren't meant to ruck, it might just be something you have to deal with.
>>
>>742148
Some people, like me, have very sweaty feet. After half an hour they are soaked. After an hour they are soft. After 90 mins the damages accumulate.

Only one thing for me that helps: change socks every 20 to 30 mins or go barefoot (open sandals help a lot, so do Merrel Moab Vent to some degree).

Neither is doable in the Bundeswehr. So i have to suck it up.
>>
Are your boots the proper fit? Is it possible to go half a size down? If you have the opportunity try on a slightly smaller boot.

Also, do you have a heel lock worked into your lacing? Check out this video which specifically tackles the idea of a "heel lock" lacing method. I use this method in both my work boots and in my wildland fire boots and I think it works really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOE28brAcEc
>>
>>743024
Foot Powder in the socks when you change them. It helps with sweaty feet.

But don't put so much in there that it pastes up.
>>
>>742175
having worn both, no.
>>
>>743079
Will try, but i don't expect much.
>>
>>742175
>Infantry boots and hiking boots are virtually the same thing.

Lol what? Biggest lie i've ever seen on 4chan
>>
File: greb.jpg (82KB, 700x630px) Image search: [Google]
greb.jpg
82KB, 700x630px
>>742148
going by the pictures, you're in the Canadian military. If your unit lets you wear non-issue boots, search around and find the comfiest ones you can get. If it's issued only, GREB is considered to be the best supplier. Pic related, will have their logo on the sole
>>
>>742658
Use crew socks as the second pair. You wear double socks specifically because your shoe/boot doesn't fit right even when laced correctly.
>>
>>742148
Friction is your problem. If you have used two socks, I hope the inner one was tight and synthetic or merino wool.

>inb4 meme fabric

Good socks that stay tight to your feet and give complete range of motion are crucial for happy feet.
>>
File: 1279588517507.png (87KB, 356x335px) Image search: [Google]
1279588517507.png
87KB, 356x335px
Join the Air Force. We have Nike boots.
>>
>>743024
Do they still give you 2 pairs? If so, switch daily if possible
>>
>>744739
You know Nike makes tan variants too right? I see Army guys walking around with them on all the time.
>>
>>742148
OP you totally suck.

1) How are you walking
2) How are you stepping
3) Is boot correct size
4) Are you using correct socks
5) Are you using correct powder
6) Are you switching out your socks
7) Do you know how to tie your boots
8) How did a girl get into my army
>>
>>742148
Cop AF1s nigga
>>
>>745322
I hear they wear out really fast.
>>
>>742472
Superfeet make good insoles, there's a few different types for different activities. You might also look into a heel cup to seat the back of your foot more securely. Also, get a pair of thin nylon socks (think grandma) and wear those under your regular socks. I use a merino wool sock for mountaineering/ski touring that holds pretty well.
>>
File: image.png (351KB, 662x561px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
351KB, 662x561px
>>742148
Get a proper fitting pair of boots for your feet

Army allows you to choose from a few different makes and models these days no?
>>
>>742613
Yes.
>>
>>745686

He's correct. My girlfriend has been on wildfires with people who wear actual pantyhose as their first layer to reduce friction. They're cheap and easy to get for off-season firefighters.
>>
Milfag here, make sure your boots fit properly, change socks and clean feet with baby wipes when possible. Some use foot powder too. I had to size up, since my previous ones were too tight and cut down circulation to my toes during marches,
>>
>>742148
1) Proper fitting boots3
2) Orthotic insoles. I get free foot levelers. Shit is dank.
3) Proper socks and change them frequently in the hike
>>
>>745648
They are strictly garrison boots IMO. Not to be taken seriously.
>>
>>742656
>Lance the blister with a knife or needle and drain the fluid first. Always lance blisters or they will get larger.

You mean they get larger period or get larger as long as the friction source remains?
>>
>>742656
What if I just cut the blister with small scissors?
>>
>>742656

don't lance all blisters.

http://www.blisterprevention.com.au/blister-blog/should-you-pop-a-blister-on-your-foot
>>
>>747042
If you have small scissors, just use one half scissor to poke a hole near the blister edge. If you go cutting, you're more likely to cause further issues due to excess tissue removal exposing fresh (not fully grown) skin beneath the blister.
>>
>>743056

Not OP but Thanks for the info and vid.
>>
>>743056
i sell hiking shoes, you just gave me a great fucking resource.

thank you.
>>
>>742148
use panty hose with the double socks, the nylon from the panty hose helps decrease friction. Also you will have to break them in a little bit before you actually go for a long ruck with them
>>
>>745648
Ive had a pair of Nike SFB's for about a year, they are light and are great for road marching, as for actual field work they are kinda meh. They get a little torn up, but they didn't get super destroyed. I actually just got a pair of reebok dauntless and they are better IMO to the SFB's and are cheaper.
>>
>>742148
Get rid of your cotton socks. All of them. If the military is issuing them to you, they are making a big mistake, possibly contributing to reduced battle readiness. If your feet are comfortable, the rest of the body works better. Cotton doesn't wick the moisture from your feet like a good pair of wool/synthetic/etc hiking specific socks. When I finally figured this out (it took a while to make the connection), I took all of my cotton socks to the trash, and I never got another blister. Ever. No moleskin, none of that shit ever again. I have been hiking/backpacking for decades. No military experience, but plenty carrying a stupidly heavy ruck, usually with some beer or wine in it.
>>
>>748252
The military (USA) issues wool socks. I used OD Green wool socks for as long as I was in the military, and I never had blisters. I would get "hot spots" on my feet from long ruck marches, but these would fade and go away after a day.
>>
>>742148
I heard finns are using two layers of socks, one thin nylon, and one thicker wool. Also a tighter boot should help
>>
Jalas FX2 soles. They are even better than army ones.
>>
>>748742
We do that, plus have those Jalas FX2 soles.
>>
>>742148
Your boots are probably the wrong size boots
>>
>>745322
They are against regulation now. For whatever reason
>>
>>749057
I'm not sure the reason for this either, happened like 5 years ago. or more. prob army jewing it up like the rest of the world desu.

also silk socks might be pretty nice. seamless if you can.

it takes so long for a boot to conform to ones foot.. I have an old pair of US navy standard issues that I got brand new, my father gave me. imo. they sucked for years, but now.. man I can stand in ankle high water, and not a single drop of water gets inside those fucking things, and I never get blisters any more. hell its almost time to have them resoled if I don't move onto redwings soon. imo, im just afraid of swamp stomping in 400 dollar boots.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.