[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about spending my hard earned shekels on this raised

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (49KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 500x500px
Thinking about spending my hard earned shekels on this raised tent. It's pretty pricy so I'm curious to see what /out/ has to say about it.

Is it a piece of shit?
>>
Why do you want a raised tent in the first place?

I have a 1lb, 1 person tent that cost me 120 bucks and I've been using it for years. Even in heavy rain, never any problems so long as you're smart about it.
>>
>>740736
No, shit comes out of your anus and is a byproduct of your digestive processes. Thats a tent.
>>
>>740736
I take it you're a car camper? You couldn't pay me to lug that thing around.
>>
>>740740
You're gonna have to back that up a little. Hard to believe there's a 1lb waterproof tent for $120 that won't rip if you look at it wrong. My OR alpine bivy is 2lbs.
>>
>>740736

>Raised Tent

Hammock?
>>
>>740736
>novelty
>too many moving parts
>no vestebule(s)
>with any kind of breeze that thing is going to lift up and knock the windshield out of the car in the next camping spot

I really don't see the point. If the legs were adjustable to ensure a level sleeping surface...then maybe it would have a purpose.

Buy it and give a review.
>>
>>740736
looks heavy as fuck. you expecting a flood or army ants or something?

>>740746
>not automatically disregarding retarded claims by tripfags

how's your first week here going?
>>
>>740746

I don't remember the brand offhand it was a gift from an ex. It's in the other room and I'm too lazy to go dig it out right now but I will post it tomorrow if I remember. I've taken it on multiple, weeklong treks on the AT, as well as 2-3 yearly multi day camping trips. All this for the past 6 years. It hasn't ripped at all. I've camped in some serious rain with it and been perfectly comfortable inside. Just gotta be smart with the rain fly, under tarp, and in extreme circumstance, dig a shallow moat around the tent right at the end of the rain cover for water runoff!
>>
>>740808

You seem mad. Would you like a pretzel?
>>
>>740764
covered hammock/cot
>>
>>740810
You don't remember the brand of a piece of equipment that you trust your life to, but you remember what the price of the gift you received was?

How gullible do you think we are? We don't believe in Bigfoot, either...
>>
>>740841

alright asshole, you really going to make me do this? I know you won't believe this story, but I'll prove it. The tent is in the trunk of my car. My car is at the dealership getting fixed waiting on a part. Even though it won't be ready tomorrow, I'll go there on my break from work and get the fucking tent, and take pics with timestamps. Fuck you.
>>
>>740866
>accuses me of being mad
> immediately throws a hissy fit when called out for obvious lies

kek. apparently you're the one who needs a pretzel.
>>
>>740866
Why don't you just fuck off tripfag. You are so full of shit giving random advice that can even be harmfull to newfags. Pls stop.
>>
>>740872

Please tell me your advice then. All you seem to be doing is shitting up the place with your personal problems. I'm drunk as fuck by the way, what's your excuse?
>>
>>740879
>attention whore tripfag
>flooding conversation with absurd lies
>accusing other people of shitting up the board

lel. shit just keeps getting funnier.
>>
>>740879
kek I'm drunk aswell lol. Raining cats and dogs outside, so it ruined my weekend /out/. I had plans to go camp at my forest (it's not legally mine). It is a narrow valley with a nice river running through it. Last weekend I counted (by sigh) 14 trouts over there. There's enough wood to make a comfy fire. I could be there right now, slowly smoking a steak, reading a book or playing solitaire. But no. I'm here. Because it's raining cats and dogs and I would be miserable up there.
>>
>>740879
Bruh.... being drunk does not allow you to be a cock gobbler. When I am drunk I am chill as fuck, why you gotta be a turbo faggot for?

OP's Tent would be good in Australia (where I am from) as the bug are fucked. I personally think it looks heavy, so only for car camping. Seing as you most likely would be car camping with this, why not get a bigger tent for less and a decent cot?
>>
>>740888
Reminder that this tripfag is an illiterate person that does not understand basic things. He literally confuses weight with calories

He thinks that 2 pounds of food (whatever it might be, but it is about a kilo of food) equals to aprox 1 thousend calories

check it out

>>738916
>>
>>740892
LMFAO. Dumbest cunt I have ever seen on here.
>>
>>740892
now that i think about it i guess i actually appreciate all these MEMEMELOOKATME know-nothing faggots identifying themselves because it makes them so easy to pick out and ignore or laugh at. :)

though i also feel sorry for them when i think about how little attention they get from real people that they're so desperate for attention here. :(

>tfw also drunk and gettin' all philosophical and sentimental and junk
>>
>>740898
>>740903
He made a mistake. Be the better guys. Pls don't be rude. Just ignore him
>>
>>740909
>whiteknighting for a tripfag

why don't you fuck off back to faggotville?

it's really simple: if he doesn't want people to call him out on being a bullshit spewing cocksucker he shouldn't be a bullshit spewing cocksucker.
>>
>>740879
>lol I'm gonna make these outrageous claims that are obvious lies
>oh and I'm not an idiot I'm just tipsy off the brew xDD
Jesus you're a faggot
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>740892

Are you retarded? I never made any such correlation between weight and calories. And you guys call me illiterate? Get your head out of your ass.

Anyway, here's the tag to my tent. ll bean microlight I guess. I think it's actually 1.5 lbs though, still served me well over the years.
>>
File: image.png (124KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
124KB, 750x1334px
>>741193
Lol.
>>
>>741197

Welp fuck me! The bitch lied to me lmao. Like I said it was a gift 6 years ago bro. Never felt the need to look it up myself
>>
>>741202
Stop posting
>>
>>740736

Ignoring all this shit about tripfags and whatnot, the question remains: Why would you want a raised tent?

Choosing a strategic spot for your tent negates the need for a raised tent imho. Look for mounds or elevations in terrain (even if they are little). Failing that, you can dig a little moat or raise the sides of the tents bottom (groundsail? Bottom tarp? The english language module in my brain just crashed, lol). 'by putting stom round branches/pieces of wood under it. (or do both).

I can only imagine this kind of tent being necessary when you camp in marches or something, where there are no spots to prevent water from streaming into your tent.

It seems to me the downsides of a raised tent are many, including:

- Added weight
- Increased price
- More susceptible to wind/storm
- more parts that can break
- harder to setup.

tl:dr If you want a tent for all-round use, spend your hard-earned shekels on a good allround tent.

Why do you want a raised tent anyway?
>>
>>740866
What happened to it being in the other room

Cmon keep your story straight
>>
>>740736 (OP)

It's quite good, I have one. Basically an alternative to hammock camping for when you're not sure there will be suitable trees.

If you do buy it, get the foam mattress by the same company designed to perfectly fit inside, it's comfy as fuck. But be warned, even folded up there is no way you're backpacking with it, it's strictly for car camping.

Other than that probably the nicest and most convenient to set up 1 man tent money can buy
>>
>>740866
god tripfags are the worst. I probably have 30 or so on my filter list. 31 now.
>>
any recommended tents for a first-time camper? would prefer milsurp ( inexpensive, durable ) but am open to other options.
>>
>>740736
Im an Army Reservist and we get issued tents like these to use when were out in the field. Its just a fold out hammock with some wind/bug protection.
>>
I slept in one before. On paper it sounds like a good idea, but it would of been faster to pitch a tent and a lot less weight to lug around. Also, not very comfortable.
>>
noob here, is there something that combines the charisteristics of a hammock (Off the ground, comfortable to lie in and works as a camp chair) with the protection/privacy/roomyness of a tent?
>>
>>740736
I understand this is a bit heavy and bulky. But if you're gonna use it for car camping in rainy weather and muddy conditions I think it seems promising. I can think of a few times and places this would have been nice. also you could stack wood underneath it during a rain storm and also your muddy shoes.
>>
I have one of these. It's got its good qualities and bad ones. It's obviously not for hiking. If you're trekking more than a few dozen yards to set up, it's not for that but it's not necessarily as bulky at it looks, since it does fold up into about a thigh height square. Frankly, I got one specifically to cut down on my kit, because I didn't want to care about a ground tarp, a couple extra bits of bedding, or the excess space that inexplicably gathered clutter (I was staying in this thing for about a month). Downsides are that, yeah, you pretty much just fucking sleep in it (it has next to zero storage space, so I kept my shit in a bin outside) and you're still going to want to tarp over it, if nothing else than to give yourself some cover when you're outside it; plus you may also want to tie it down to something, just in case.

But, it worked for the exact reason I bought it. It's definitely niche, though.
>>
>>743288
Want wifi and ice maker with that? Next you'll be asking for a stove with usb plugs to charge your phone.
>>
>>740736
I have used one, on my friend's mother's ranch in Tennessee, and even places that seemed pretty flat were not flat enough.
( i had it fall over in the middle of the night 2 times in the week i was there)
but it held up to a rain storm and some freezing rain pretty well. (also quite cozy!)
I'm normally a tarp camper, and i was expecting to use a tiny cabin on site but my friend snores way too loud.
Worst part really was this stupid bear wouldn't leave me alone, and i hate being zipped up inside a body bag when that shit happens.

Too big to carry on your back, but fine for car camping on those flat pads they put at the RV/drive in camp sites, or if you live in some super flat spot.
Forgive my bad grammar/spelling, I've been drinking...
>>
File: Tentsile-Village-London-21.jpg (959KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
Tentsile-Village-London-21.jpg
959KB, 1000x666px
>>743288
Tentsile?

I've heard they're heavy and unwieldy and kinda suck though.
>>
>>743887
id sneak into their camp at night and stab randomly into the bottom of these, just to let them know that they are now vulnerable from truly the most horrific of angles.
>>
>>742969
you're good people anon
>>
File: coccoon.jpg (79KB, 473x355px) Image search: [Google]
coccoon.jpg
79KB, 473x355px
>>743288
I think something like this could be tweaked.
>>
File: HexamidSolo.jpg (415KB, 932x618px) Image search: [Google]
HexamidSolo.jpg
415KB, 932x618px
>>741197
>>741202
Yea, you can buy a real 1lb 1 person tent but it will cost you $500.

However if you want something like this without having to use trekking poles for your tent structure you'll likely have to dish out even more, like the Terra Nova laser ultra
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/laser-ultra-1-tent/
>>
>>743915
>being this edgy

>>>/b/
>>
>>743975
Also I know you guys are big on getting the weight as low as possible but would you really consider putting $500,- in this?

Might just be me but it looks flimsy as fuck, like it's going to show wear and tear after three trips.
>>
>>744275
>flimsy as fuck
>wear after three trips
Well, no. I don't have first hand experience with Zpacks but I take their word for it. The tents are expensive because cuben fibre is expensive. But it is superior in almost every way to nylon.
Also it's worth noting that the 1 person tent I pictured earlier doesn't have a good weight/person ratio or good bang for buck compared to larger tents in their line-up. My understanding is that the density of cuben fibre they are using is stronger than most corduras you will see on conventional tents.

If I lived in the US and had money to spend I would snatch one up in a jiffy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbimjdtomnE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gfcuCh7h04
>>
>>744296
Sorry if this sounds noobish, but the guy in the vid put the tent up with what seem to be walking sticks? So I would need those along with them? Are there no poles with it then and couldn't you alternatively cut poles yourself?
I was never fond of these sticks or never needed them, tbqh. Never went that up into the mountains.
>>
>>744296
>>745216
Never mind, I just saw it comes with carbon fiber tent poles
>>
>>744275
Yes I totally would. It's made of cuben fiber which is more prone to tears and small holes, but I'd bet a zpacks tent, if you take care of it and use a ground sheet, would last at least two long distance 2000+ mile thru hikes.

I recently bought a lightheart gear solo which has been pretty awesome.
>>
>>745348
Bruh Dyneema® Composite Fabric is Dyneema® is the strongest and most durable fiber in the world. At 30% lighter than nylon/polyester, 45% lighter than aramid, and 15 times stronger than steel.

asplain how it's more prone to tears and holes? Is it like Kevlar were you can stab it unless its folden in a certain method?
>>
>>743288
put a tarp over your hammock
>>
>>740866
TRIPFAG GETTING BTFO. NO CHANCE OF RECOVERY!

Im saving this for next time you post shit
>>
>>743288
Some Hammocks come with a bug netting canopy. They're tent-like. They wil save you from being eaten alive by mosquitoes, but the lounging factor of a hammock is reduced. Also, get a rain fly for you hammock
>>
>>741202
LMAO. How many threads have you bragged about your "1lb tent" in you fucking retard? Time to take off your trip if you ever want to post again without being mocked endlessly.
>>
>>747346
the polyethylene laminate around the fibers is very vulnerable to abrasion and pin pricks. unlike a traditional fabric where the fibers just push back into place after a small puncture or scuff, the plastic membranes can never recover. the DCFs laminated with polyester or nylon sheets are a bit better in terms of toughness, but but are significantly heavier and stiffer. plus, they are typically laminated on the outside face only, so a user still needs to be careful about what touches the inside layer, say if the material is used as a pack or container.

that said, I own a zpacks arc blast, and it's served me trouble free over ~350 miles and 30 nights in the wilderness last year. granted, I'm very careful about where and how I set down my bag, and I use a trashbag liner while packing hard objects carefully inside the bag.
>>
>>747619
So it's like sleeping with a super model. Expensive and high maintenance but great to tell your mates about.
>>
>>740841
>We don't believe in Bigfoot, either...
That's on you when you get fucking eaten and raped.
>>
>>740841
>We don't believe in Bigfoot, either...
Speak for yourself, city boy.
>>
>>740736
looks heavy as fuck!
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.