[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outside jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 16

File: smoke.png (885KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
smoke.png
885KB, 1000x600px
There was just thread on trail work. What other awesome job are there that put you outside?
>>
Geologist. Of course you can easily be a labrat too as a geologist but if you want to you can spend quite a lot of time /out/
>>
>>740359

Forester in the north of England.

Ask me anything.
>>
File: IMAG0014.jpg (1MB, 2592x1552px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0014.jpg
1MB, 2592x1552px
I work in construction.
Avoid the contruction that is mostly buildings. it's hard to explain, but in my country construction is separated into two things; Bygg and Anlegg (building and construction), so I'm not talking about the kind of construction that happens in urban places, but for example now the project we're working on is building a dam inna mountains.
>>
File: i-RhcPLdC-L.jpg (66KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-RhcPLdC-L.jpg
66KB, 400x600px
Network Engineering.
>install microwave radio(s) to get IP on the site
>install router in the rack
>install network power controller
>install RTCM's on the radios

>weather's shitty? remote into the site from home
>weather's nice? "Yeah, I need to go visit that site today, recalibrate the feedline and phase-match the ground loop duplexing intermodulator."
>>
>>740359
I am a fisheries biologist. Working on stocking reservoirs currently
>>
>>740359
Hitchhiker. The pay leaves a lot to be desired, but you make up for that by having no living expenses and spending all your time outdoors.
>>
>>740359
Tow trucker on the boarder of Washington and Canada. Thats what im gunna do.
>>
>>740417
how do you get money?
>>
>>740417
A lot of people give up on it after being buried in shallow graves by the side of the road.
>>
>>740433
Me personally? Donating plasma mostly, the occasional odd job. It doesn't take much when you don't have any bills.

Better money in spanging (panhandling) best money is in busking (street corner musician).

>>740434
I'd rather die free than live as a slave. But so far, I haven't died.
>>
>>740448
>I'd rather die than live like a slave
>Relies on the very system he is "rebeling" against to feed him.
Ok m8
>>
I'm currently looking for an /out/ job but damn near all of them require college degrees. FML. You even need a god damn degree to sit behind the counter and sell goods at a national/state park.

Best case I've got going right now is a volunteer firefighter position but you don't get paid. I don't have the attention span for extensive school unfortunately although I do well at work. Just left my well paying job in the oil industry to live in the forest and mountains. Hopefully one day I'll satisfy my hunger for an /out/ job.
>>
>>740448
I mean, you can find an enjoyable marketable career... working does not make you a slave unless you depend on it.

I was doing programming work

not out at all

I cannot even think of any skills I have that would put me outside. Unless I bring my laptop to a park and work there
>>
File: gotmilk.jpg (367KB, 1395x765px) Image search: [Google]
gotmilk.jpg
367KB, 1395x765px
>>
File: onionsin.jpg (391KB, 1792x778px) Image search: [Google]
onionsin.jpg
391KB, 1792x778px
>>
Work on a cargo ship or an oil rig. Oil rigs usually get month on/month off so plenty of time to go /out/ even when not working.

Don't like the idea of being at sea?
Search and rescue
firefighter
military
park ranger
farmer
plenty more
>>
File: seedy.jpg (358KB, 2231x568px) Image search: [Google]
seedy.jpg
358KB, 2231x568px
onemonth,, to lettuce.
>>
File: like this.jpg (168KB, 960x566px) Image search: [Google]
like this.jpg
168KB, 960x566px
>>740359
Land surveyor for a mapping agency is good. If you work a company like Ordnance Survey you map trails and update mountain height measurements by hiking with really accurate GNSS receivers.

I work as a land surveyor in construction for new roads (more money).
>>
>>740388
What did that wood become?
>>
>>740485
low level usfs and blm seasonal jobs don't require a college degree. and i guarantee that if you apply to enough places and for enough jobs you'll get hired somewhere in some capacity.
>>
>>740359
Mechanic/mate on tugboat. Good pay. 2 weeks on the water and two weeks at home usually. Make more than most and only work <180 days a year. Extra bonus that I love what I'm doing and have great guys to chill with while on deck. A great choice if you have a background on the water and like the schedule.
>>
>>740412

I want this job so bad. I'm graduating with BS in Bio in a couple weeks. Got a mosquito control job lined up for the summer but I need to find something else after. I've been interested in fisheries for a long time, but I live in CO so have no experience.

What's the market like? I've been thinking about moving up to AK for an Observer job, or out to WA/OR if I can get a Fisheries Tech / Hatchery job.

Any advice appreciated.
>>
>>740485
This. I got a college degree but don't start my actual job until a full calendar year after I graduate and I want to be /out/.

Any more cool /out/ careers that you can do with no experience or degree?
>>
>>740448
>I'd rather die free than live as a slave
Freedom means the ability to choose of your own free will.
When I was hitch hiking and being a vagabond, I thought I was free because I could move around and do what I wanted. Until I wanted to stop relying on strangers. Then I noticed that, huh, I didn't have any real choice.

So now I work a job that I like and do what I want, and have the freedom to help vagabonds in whatever way I want. I like to buy you guys MAPSCO, Cliff Bars, and cigarette packs. I'm free to do so. They're free to accept what I give them or reject it, but they don't have the freedom to help me. Because they're just our slaves and have to hope that we treat them well.
>>
I have a degree in Wildlife Biology. 3 years out of school and I still don't have a permanent position. It's a really tough field to get work in. You're expected to have a ton of experience and every opening is competitive. After all that bullshit you still get paid like $10 an hour for a job that requires a college degree.

You really have to love the work to be in Wildlife. No one is in it for the money.
>>
>>740530

It got chipped for biomass heaters. A little unfortunate but it wasn't coming out of where it was in lengths long enough to make saw logs.
>>
I live in a desert climate area that's also relatively close to a beachfront with functional piers and harbors. What kind of /out/ jobs should I keep my eyes peeled for?
>>
>>740946
they look huge I was thinking there must be a better use for tress that big but I don't actually know anything
>>
>>740359

Tree surgeon, spend my days swinging around large trees with a chainsaw.
>>
>>741017

I agree, it would have been nice to get a few saw logs from it that could have gone to a mill and made something worth while. They'd have needed to be cut to at least 4.9m in length for that though, possibly bigger and there's no way we'd have been able to extract that from the location the tree was in.

It's a shame but at least it wasn't left there to rot.
>>
>>740388
>>740395
>>740590
>>740432
>>740574

These all seem like something I could enjoy doing.

I've wanted an /out/ job since forever but I'm basically unemployable.

I'm 37, have no education beyond secondary, and I've never had an actual job so no references either.
I've been to job agencies. The only work they can get me is €6/hr unskilled labor because I'm not "certified" to do anything.

I've sent resumes to every oil field recruiting agency I could find and never heard from a single one.
One company was offering a roughneck/painter training course and I wasn't even accepted for that.

I've applied to oil surveyor positions, a fabricator building bulletproof cars, a boat builder, movie set construction crews and dozens more jobs.

Actually, I did get temporary work as a "bodyguard"/driver. Great pay, but that was a one time thing.

Another thing. I'm relocating to Spain before the end of this year.
I'm sure things will be worse there. Shit wages, and a job market saturated with overqualified jobseekers.
>>
>>740388

Do you make enough to get by?

I kinda want to move to the North and be more /out/ than I can be in London.
>>
In three days im starting my new job as a maintenance dude in my favorite state park. Then sometime suring the summer im headed out west to fight wildfires.

Living the life.
>>
File: 1453805504162.jpg (263KB, 1080x1845px) Image search: [Google]
1453805504162.jpg
263KB, 1080x1845px
>>741040
Currently studying arboriculture to become a forester, any tips?
Moat people in my class are going to become generic tree surgeons, don't really want to go down that road.
>>
>>741062

I don't have anything after my 6 years of high school apart from a few work related college courses but they're not shit. I do however have tickets for a bunch of stuff and experience doing it.

You'd do well to get "certified" in a few things. The use of tools, machinery or chemicals. The courses aren't always expensive either and they're almost always practical, even the classroom type bits are pretty much always applicable so they're not exactly boring.

If you're moving to Spain, I'm fairly sure you're going to get BTFO in the job market if you expect to find laboring jobs but turn your nose up at low starting pay. Good luck man!

>>741066
I work for a fairly well off private estate. They provide me a rent/council tax free cottage and like £1.5k a month, usually a bit more with over time. They've also paid me through a bunch of courses and have promised a bunch more. I don't know how good that is in the grand scale of things, I'm sure a bunch of assholes would be ready to laugh at me for being poor or whatever but it all works pretty well for me - I have no debts to pay off or anything.

>>741105
Once you're done with your studies, try and take as much work as you can. I'm not sure where you're from but experience counts for a lot here. If you have that kind of knowledge behind you and you've done a few years of shitty work in the industry you should be fairly bulletproof.
>>
>>741123
How on earth did you get that job. Thats incredible.
>>
>>740485
Landscaping can be a learn as you go trade. Then once you have the skillset to start your own company the payoff is pretty decent. It's sick what some people will pay for landscape work which isn't even that hard to do
>>
>>741483

Lots of private estates will give you a rent free or massively reduced rent house to live in. It's not that uncommon.
>>
>>741105
genitic tree surgeons? That's not really forestry, more biology or forest pathology. Forestry is more silviculture studies.
>>
I have a pseudo-out job.
I run a hydroelectric station in the middle of nowhere. 40 days on, 40 days off. Just me and my dog in the wilderness.
>>
US Border Patrol. I joined in 1987 and worked 1.5 years with them before transferring to a different position.

I had a shitty station, just to the East of the POE at San Ysidro, but we had canyons and some hills we worked in. The best was walking the canyons in the middle of the night. You're out hiking but just waiting to hear something, or for a sensor to go off.

Back in Texas agents would cut sign for hours following just a couple aliens, but we were to busy for stuff like that.

Fun fact: in the Border Patrol, at least where I was, aliens weren't called wetbacks, they were called 'tonks' as that was the sound of a mag light hitting their head.
>>
Wildland Firefighter reporting in
>>
>>741092
Nice, are you new to firefighting?
>>
>>741947
Damn, since 1987? You must have some pretty cool stories. I plan on doing either that or law enforcement once I get out of the military. Do you enjoy your job?

>>740359
The military is also a great option for the outdoors. The first bit is a bit shitty but after that your set. I'm in the infantry and if I wanted to stay in I could probably get a lot more opportunities to remain /out/. My one friend for example teaches a lot of survival courses so he spends most of his time /out/.
>>
>>742027

If I get a wildland Firefighter II cert, is that enough to get an entry level job?
>>
>>742050
This will be my first season. Pretty excited. Just got my FFT2 cert last month.
>>
Any EMTs?

Will I find time to go out?

Anyone run a small ISP for communities out in the sticks? I've always felt that would be what I would wind up doing as I grew older, maybe living up in canada and running an ISP, or working in maitenance for one that's already in place.
>>
File: 1414919133630.png (326KB, 645x597px) Image search: [Google]
1414919133630.png
326KB, 645x597px
If you need a fix, I had a great time working a summer at Lowes.
So long as you work in the outdoor department, you get paid to water plants and stand in the sunshine for eleven hours a day.

Was pretty sweet. No what you're looking for ideally, but you get a fix.
Get to come home with dirt under your fingernails.
>>
>>741884
damn that sounds pretty cool.

care to tell describe the job a bit? and how you got it?

40 days seems kinda long to be alone though
>>
I work as a land surveyor, we do a lot of urban work, but usually two days a week we get a jobsite in a rural area, which usually takes a greater amount of time than the urban stuff
>>
>>741884
>>742747
I second this notion, this sounds cool
>>
I don't have a job, stop oppressing me with these kind of thread on /out/
>>
I'm on my way to a college program to get an Environmental Technician's diploma
>>
>>740486

> I cannot even think of any skills I have that would put me outside. Unless I bring my laptop to a park and work there.

You can't even realisticaly do that because of the fucking sun glare or contrast.

I'm in the same boat but I'm working on getting licenses/certifications for various outdoorsy jobs. That way I'll be able to take longer breaks between two programming jobs.
>>
>>742654
>>740582
>>
>>742134
I was always in a covered position so I was able to retire at 50. The Border Patrol when I was there was a high burn out job. The most senior agent had like 7 years in. Every night we'd just get slaughtered. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but it was good in that there was no carryover from one day to the next.

I moved to deportations which varied between aweful and wonderful. The job changed a lot while I did that, some for better some for worse, but honestly it was a great job, and I feel so lucky that things worked out for me in the way that they did.
>>
>>741020
Tell me more...
>>
>>742296

Normally an agency will pay for your training straight up. Look on USA jobs for firefighter positions. Some of them are listed as "forestry technician" and such.
>>
File: 20160403_142244.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160403_142244.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Deckhand on a commercial fishing boat
Go to any coastal city and find work
No paper trail
no drug tests
Lots of money sometimes
Lots of adventure sometimes
Feel manly all the times.
Currently crabbing in northern California going to be in alaska salmon seining in a month after that I'm either gonna gget into cod or crab in alaska or head to Australia and longline or do prawns. I also have a dive cert so if I make some money I might invest in gear and permits for a dive fishery or two. Saving up my sea time so I can start working my way up the hawsepipe.
>>
not appearing ITT: 9/11
>>
>>744436
what?
>>
>>741123
>assholes

Fuck off yank
>>
File: geeps.png (10KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
geeps.png
10KB, 261x195px
>>744836
because this is an outside job thread. an OUTSIDE job.
>>
>>744436
Oh fuck I get it
>>
>>744890

Why do I feel like I've had this argument before?
>>
>>740359
Army infantry would be my number one choice, sadly life never led me down that path

Would absolutely love to become a wildland firefighter tho but I live in NC and don't have enough money to move out west and pursue that
>>
>>740400
I hated doing networking in college. how could you ever like that shit?
>>
>>745675
Every state and most national forests/parks have fire crews. And typically once you move somewhere for s seasonal fire job, you'll get housing or you can find it for cheap since chances are you'll be in the sticks. Look at Shenandoah right now, and most of the east coast is on high fire watch right now. You can at least get exp doing volunteer work, state agencies usually need lots of it
>>
>>746394

Even if you get a job in like maintenance or like a trail technician you can normally get fire trained. Working maintenance might actually be a good route, because you'll likely learn about trucks and pumps as part of your job. I'm actually getting recertified as a Type 2 Fire Fighter by the Forest Service even though I'm working as a tour guide at the moment.
>>
>>740590
Does someone like a nurse work on those? I'm graduating in the health field and I'd love something like that. I've heard of oil rigs too having nurses.
>>
File: i-DjFNXMN-L.jpg (76KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-DjFNXMN-L.jpg
76KB, 400x600px
>>746382
The computer-network side isn't real difficult at all. If you understand how to set up an improved-home or small-office network, that's about all the more difficult a radio network is. Configure static IPs, basic routing tables, couple segments, VPN... yeah, that's about it.

The geographic space between points (routers/sites) is a lot bigger than a typical home/office network though. And the methods to connect those links are radically different than a typical cat5 setup (dealing with microwave links mostly).

On the radio side, that's a little more tricky... sort of a different "block" in a functional diagram, but there's a bit of work figuring out talkgroups/trunk groups and network capacity. Dealing with the FCC for frequency alloc's and getting sites permitted is probably the worst of it. The radio/RF stuff's probably the most techncial, and that's where my EE degree and experience gives me an edge.

Do a good job on the back-end, subscribers just PTT the talkgroup and shit just plain works.

Telcos have a lot of good resources for figuring out network capacity and economical links. Radio/equipment manufacturers all have good support channels as well. The work's generally not specialty/one-off jobs, it's almost always a typical "we're installing a radio system here for this service area, and it needs to do this-and-that", and they've got equipment you can buy that does this-and-that.

That's all work I do as a contractor, so I can pick and choose the jobs I want which is nice. Used to do a lot more of it, today I still offer the services but if they don't make it worth my time I don't do it. Still take a couple small jobs a year, but nothing like the huge jobs I did in years past.
>>
>>744428
I've heard some gnarly things captains will do to fuck over workers, is there a way to know what to look for when getting on a crew? I tend to err on naive retardation in terms of trusting people and can't shake it.
>>
>>740518
This senpai.
>>
Geology and Geophysics undergrad here.

Don't have any cool stories because I just transferred in. Starting my courses next semester. :(
>>
File: 20140727_213414.jpg (4MB, 6896x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20140727_213414.jpg
4MB, 6896x3120px
>>749985
Geophysics undergrad here. Some unsolicited advice but if you're just starting out try to find a professor doing something cool and ask them if you can help out with their research. A lot of professors do field work in bad ass places and more often than not they could use a hand collecting data, carrying equipment, etc. Doing this allowed me to spend a summer in rural Montana hiking, camping, and looking at rocks. One of the best times i've had in my undergrad and the experience is good for applying to other cool things that you encounter in the future.
>>
A friend offered me a job as a wildland firefighter.

Is this good experience for anything besides firefighting?
>>
Ecological Researcher

Just spend the last 5 months hiking around mountains conducting research on flora and fauna. Its pretty damn cruisey
>>
>>740518
Yeah land surveying is badass
>>
>>750789

Pretty sure you can't offer someone a job if they didn't apply through usajobs.gov. Unless you're with contracted fighters... in which you'll be the laughing stock at base camp.
>>
>>751468

He might be working a state job. California has it's own fire program I believe. And no, it's not going to give you experience doing anything other than wildland firefighting, but it's a really diverse skill set. You'll learn a lot about tools, pumps, etc.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.