[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you dive /out/? You should.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 20

File: So Tranquil.jpg (99KB, 800x538px) Image search: [Google]
So Tranquil.jpg
99KB, 800x538px
Do you dive /out/? You should.
>>
I muff dive
>>
>>740101
hell yeah i dive!

kinda like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfPxzKAvMAQ
>>
File: FrenchReefSwimThrough.jpg (86KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
FrenchReefSwimThrough.jpg
86KB, 960x720px
>>740101
>MFW 80 degree water, 3mm full suit
I love that feeling of being pleasantly warm underwater... can't wait until summer is in full swing.

SWFL semi-commercial diver here

Pic is from a rec dive off Key Largo.
>>
>>740101
Only dived once outside of a training pool at the great barrier reef just off cairns. Really cool shit.
>>
>>740138

>tfw you hold your pee on the descent
>hit thermocline
>engage heating system

works for about 5 minutes
>>
File: IMG_8561.jpg (4MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8561.jpg
4MB, 2448x3264px
>>740251
Check this shit out: 2 diver hot water system that I made this for the clam farm I used to work on. It's just a pump, propane water heater and water lines that go to a diver that is using a hookah system. Diver has a valve to control flow, topside has temp control.

>stand on deck with system on for at least 5 minutes
>hot water filling up suit and booties, pouring out leg holes
>hop into 58 degree water
>don't feel a thing, just nice toasty non-piss water
>when you do piss, it flushes right out!

The best feeling in the world is when that hot water hits the back of your neck and fill up your hood.
>>
>>740290

Neato. What's it like working on a clam farm?
>>
File: Diver and Float.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Diver and Float.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>740314
It was awesome. So awesome I started my own farm. In SWFL we use divers more than most shellfish aquaculture. Most farmers use a hookah system (many homemade), full face mask and ~40 lbs of weight so you can crawl around on the bottom and handle suction hoses and stuff. What we do is very similar to the Bering Sea gold dredgers with a venturi suction device.

Saw lots of cool animals: turtles, manatees, sharks, tarpon, remora, stingrays galore, tons of different fish, seahorses, crabs, etc. Most of the time the vis was <5 feet, but occasionally we'd have 20 foot vis days, usually in the winter.

Aquaculture diving is an interesting field that is just starting to grow. It's not full on commercial diving with welding and giant pipes, and mostly we are <10 fsw, so most farmers don't have commercial certifications.

Jobs are hard to come by as most farms are small/family operations. But it is a fairly easy and inexpensive business to get into for yourself, once you know the basics. Hard work, but enjoyable and rewarding.
>>
File: hayall.jpg (647KB, 2388x1104px) Image search: [Google]
hayall.jpg
647KB, 2388x1104px
>>
>>740101
Dove a few times in Mexico. Drift diving I think is my least favorite. I've always wanted to do a cave dive.
>>
>>740101
>Do you dive /out/? You should.

Negative, I am a land mammal thank you.
>>
Divemaster reporting. Have worked on dive vessels in Alaska and Mexico and dove extensively in the Caribbean. A little bit of diving up here in Vancouver, but the vis is usually pretty crappy and nothing as exciting as what you'd see down south.
>>
>>740407

totally interested in knowing more.
How do you lease land, what type of setup for clams? Do you use an integrated multitropic system to harvest just more than clams?
>>
Have any of you divebros been in one of those suits with the big helmets? Curious what that's like.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 600x406px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 600x406px
>>740101
Total fear of deep ocean or even slightly deep sea. It can fuck off desu.
>>
File: IMG_8502.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8502.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>743971
You lease approved submerged land from the State of Florida, Division of Aquaculture within FDACS. Each lease is ~2 acres. Some places the water is ~3 feet deep (Cedar Key), some places its ~10 feet deep like the Pine Island Sound, which affect the growing method and growth rates.

Here on Pine Island, most people bottom plant seed clams under a net like the one in the picture. The net keeps the predators out (stingrays, crabs, pufferfish, etc.). To harvest we have a water pump connected to a device that creates suction. Everyone has slightly different set ups and usually keep the details secret. Basically its a simplified/smaller version of this: http://tmsmaritime.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Venturi-Dredge-Pump-Configuration-2.jpg

Aquaculture in the US is VERY underdeveloped... Shellfish aquaculture has only really been around in Florida for ~25 years and there are only 3 species of shellfish being grown in the state: hard clams (quahogs), sunray venus and oysters. So no species mixing right now. I did a bit of research into that integrated multitropic stuff and seems like something worth looking into. There are several species of shellfish I'd like to see on the aquaculture market, but it's hard getting white people to eat anything "different". I sell weird clams and conchs to my Asian handyman all the time, though!

Sorry I tend to be a little long-winded.
>>
>>740407
I used to tender for geoduck divers in puget sound can be good money just got certified myself this January in tacoma was fucking cold. Hoping to get a geoduck permit myself tho I have heard it takes a pretty bad toll on your body over the long run
>>
I don't but would love to start. Probably moving back to the coast soon enough, so I guess I'll get on that.

>>740407
>>744397

That sounds awesome, might have to see about moving to Florida. Love to be in a closer to tropical climate.
>>
File: kbm 37.jpg (183KB, 550x603px) Image search: [Google]
kbm 37.jpg
183KB, 550x603px
>>744059
mark 5 dive helmet is what yer looking for, they don't get used much anymore. Pic related is what is used more often today
>>
>>743767
Man, I love drift diving. You don't have to worry about navigating back to the boat to end the dive. You just pop up and the boat picks you up! Easy as pie!
>>
File: Boat and Flag.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Boat and Flag.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>744406
Sweet man. I've seen some videos of geoduck harvesting, seems pretty sweet. They can sell for $50+ each at the market too, which is nice! I'm heading to the west coast tomorrow and am hoping to try some geoduck.

>>744432
There's a handful of place that grow clams in Florida; Pine Island, Cedar Key, Tampa Bay and Sebastian are probably the biggest. Unfortunately it's hard getting a job on a farm unless you know someone. Most businesses are family owned, but they do often need help processing and packing clams on land.

If you like water activities, Florida is awesome. If you like cool weather and mountains, it is not.
>>
>>740101

I've only SCUBA'd once before at a swimming pool where they were giving a class on it.

It was cool. (Though the system I was using didn't fit very well so the thing screwed into the top of the tank kept poking me in the back of the head)

>>740407
>>744397

Neat.

>>744406
>Hoping to get a geoduck permit myself tho I have heard it takes a pretty bad toll on your body over the long run

How so?
>>
>>743767

>i hate this type of dive where you literally do nothing and just look at sealife
>i'd rather risk death to look at rocks instead
>>
I'd love to get diving certified so i could be hired for Underwater Arc welding.
Looking at fish and stuff would be cool too though.
>>
Any recommendations on a primary/secondary dive knife?
>>
>>748110
Sypderco Saver Salt or Atlantic Salt....very rust proof. I lost my for over a month in the Ocean and I found it again on another dive once the bottom kelp died over the winter.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=264
serration make quick work of rope or fishing line. Small, compact, and no idiotic sharp tip to damage your dive equipment.
>>
>>748291
Interesting. Wouldn't you want a fixed blade as a dive knife? I'm not familiar with folders below the surface.
>>
>>748792
>a fixed blade as a dive knife
Yes, most specialized dive knives are fixed blade. Comes in handy if one of your arms is tied up in fishing line or something. But I use 5mm neoprene gloves and opening and closing the Spyderco knife is no problem. I feel like a lot of people carry overly large knives with them. Titanium for a dive knife is also great as there is no chance of oxidation.
>>
File: riffe.jpg (15KB, 503x364px) Image search: [Google]
riffe.jpg
15KB, 503x364px
Sup pussies,
Freediver since 12 yrs old here,

I shoot fish to eat at 40-60 feet regularly. roughly around 1:30 - 2 min average dive bottom time.

Born and raised in Hawaii, ask me anything.
>>749130
yes you want a fixed blade, dont listen to that fail scuba fag with 4 mm neoprene gloves. trying to flip open some trash knife he bought and tries to promote.
Spyderco makes great knives, just not dive knives. They are not practical.

I use a fixed blade full tang knife with a point. For dispatching fish and octopus. ( AKA stabbign them in the fucking brain )

It looks like this. I have had this for many years now, and it has killed hundreds fish / octopus. Fashion your own sheath for it.

any other questions?

ib4 shark question,
yes i have fought off sharks before.
>>
File: 3141566642069.jpg (172KB, 1518x828px) Image search: [Google]
3141566642069.jpg
172KB, 1518x828px
>>749152
dat bait (i even broke into my dank bait memes for you)
>>
>>749152
I dive in 46 degree water, not some tropical faggot like you.
>>
>>740101
WHAT FINS SHOULD I BUY

X-STREAM YES OR NO
>>
>tfw shit circulation

even in tropical waters if I go below 20m I get fucking freezing, the tips of my fingers turn blue
>>
File: aCu5j8si.jpg (42KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
aCu5j8si.jpg
42KB, 400x400px
>>740101
>mfw Thalassophobia
>>
>>753306
get a dry suit
>>
File: 20150919_110336.jpg (2MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20150919_110336.jpg
2MB, 2048x1152px
>>749152
sup fag, kauai bro here i can dive 60 feet for like 30 seconds i usually just shore fish or reef fish for menpachi or night dive for sleeping uhu's or lobster. your the oahu bro arent you? btw your entire post is pretty loaded did you have a bad day working at the hotel today?
>>
What if Delta-P?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0
>>
>>753798
>COMMERCIAL diving
why are you pooftahs scared of recreational diving
>>
File: 1430780025407.jpg (15KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
1430780025407.jpg
15KB, 250x241px
>>740101
>T
>F
>W

very mild epilepsy phamalama dingdong
>>
>>754785
I had epilepsy when I was little. I grew out of it though by time I was 13. I was off meds for it. So I feel for you bro. I can't even begin to think what I'd do with my life if I couldn't drive myself around. if you lived near by me, I'd take you driving every time I went /out/
>>
Rock climbing, hiking, caving, SCUBA masterrace
>>
File: c1BfO.jpg (41KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
c1BfO.jpg
41KB, 540x405px
beep beep
>>
>>749152
>>753723
Oahu bro? idk this is my first post after chillin in /out/ for a while.
2/10 troll. okay, only if you want to play that game.
Tell me more about how you and your 'kamaaina bros' pound sleeping uhus at night with walmart 3 prongs and take lobsters out of season while you show your friends how to cook menpachi on their gas grills in Princeville.
>>
>>754798
i get it dude you own a $800 spear gun which makes you a better fisherman than anyone else in the other 49 states your cool bro.
>2/10 troll. okay, only if you want to play that game.
your the one who came in here trolling calling everyone pussies
>walmart 3 prongs
if walmart makes graphite three prongs than they're alright with me.
>gas grill in p-ville
naw i'm not rich dude
>ib4 shark question, yes i have fought off sharks before.
carry on telling everyone you serve at duke's about how you fend off sharks everyone knows your a total badass already, we get it.
>>
>>754798
>>754798
wow bro, I'm from maui and i just gotta say you arent showing the aloha i wish i could say hawaii has... classic angry locals all thinking. their gods and hurting everyone in their path...
>>
>>755008
>>754830
This is 4chan, of course i'm going to come in here calling everyone pussies. This is an alternate dimension to time and space and not real life, so I treat it as such.

Im actually just surprised others from / living in Hawaii are on here.
Dont get rustled. IRL im sure we are all very nice / act pono all that bullshit.
>>
>>753208
OMS slipstreams.
The ability to power on a surface swim whilst towing 2 customers agains current. Check.
The ability to backfin and maneuvere intricately with ease. Check.
The rigidity of the fin and it's shape are just killer. The navy seals use them for a reason.
>>
File: CDM bass.jpg (178KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
CDM bass.jpg
178KB, 640x1136px
SOcal freediver here.

anyone here paid to take freediving lessons?
i might look into it this summer
>>
File: nh7ccZp.png (747KB, 975x495px) Image search: [Google]
nh7ccZp.png
747KB, 975x495px
would you, /out/?
>>
File: julesinterior.jpg (47KB, 464x410px) Image search: [Google]
julesinterior.jpg
47KB, 464x410px
Does this count?
>>
>>749152
>Hawaii
Oh, ok

So whos a north atlantic diver? Wreck diving, salvage, treasure, artifacts, hunting, 8mm neoprene and drysuits
>>
>>756459
no
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
>>756459

that, yes

this no
>>
>>756459
>>759504
y'all'r nuts
>>
>>756028
You haven't lived until you've bent your ears back with some good stiff fins.
>>
>>747978
That's commercial stuff. They don't recognize recreational certs, so you have to go to a dive school which will be at least $15,000 unfortunately...
>>
>>759504
Man people are fucking stupid
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.