[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SHTF geat it right thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 23

File: bugout-bag-cover.jpg (136KB, 982x600px) Image search: [Google]
bugout-bag-cover.jpg
136KB, 982x600px
Pls stay away from cancer shit like pic and link related

http://coolmaterial.com/gear/outdoors/bug-out-bag-list/
>>
Stay away from multi tools, .22 rifles, paracord, wool clothing, hydration bags, handguns, crank radios, metal utensils, duct tape, sleeping bags, and bandannas?

wtf are you smoking man?
>>
>Shtf thread
>tells people to stay away from cancer

This gay shit is cancer.
>>
File: 1440178365482.jpg (199KB, 780x1102px) Image search: [Google]
1440178365482.jpg
199KB, 780x1102px
>>738207
>paracord
>biolite
>hydration bag
>crank radios
Do you write for coolmaterial.com don't you?

>>738209
K, feel free to leave the thread then.
>>
>>738218

Did I mention the biolite? No.
Is cordage useful? yes
Hydration bags? sure
crank radios? why not?

Your thread is shit man. Do you even go outside?
>>
>>738223
>cordage
paracord is shit there's no way around it.

>Hydration bags
Shit, in a shtf you need a metallic canteen otherwise good luck carrying duplicate shit

>crank radios
Useless, one way comms are shit

Do you even know your shit, shithead?

And yes, I go /out/ often but I'll not going to lie and say that I live in the woods or some shit.

>inb4 shit shit shit shit
Yeah I like to use the word shit.
>>
>>738235
What's with the paracord is shit argument. It's more compact that any nylon cord I have. Don't get me wrong i don't carry tactical paracord bikini with me, but why the hate?
Also I do carry a radio but it's about the size of a pen uses one AAA like the rest of my shit. Every crank anything is shit if it's cheap, or expensive af, and still shit.
And I like my k bar.
>>
>>738235
How would a radio be shit?

In a shtf situation a radio would be a good way to know what's going on in the world.
>>
Can anyone give me a solid non-meme reason why hydration bladders are shit? I usually have to ruck all my water anyway since I live in the desert, and it's easier to pack around a full 3L bladder than carting around 3 separate canteens. If the bladder tears or punctures (unlikely), I can always carry a rolled up spare or some kind of repair kit.
>>
>>738266
In a shtf scenario, I wouldn't trust anyone who broadcasts.

>>738269
Bladders are great as long as you don't puncture them, especially because of how they carry your heaviest item close to your body. That said, it can be a good idea to carry a metal canteen for boiling as well.
>>
>>738291
>>738269
>>738266

In conclusion, OP is a fag as usual.
>>
ITT Watch OP say a bunch of retarded shit and then back-peddle when his betters prove him wrong.
>>
>>738235
>being able to tie things is shit
>your water container has to be strong enough to use as a sled
>communication is stupid kek

So yeah, you actually have never been outside have you

I don't even mean /out/, I mean you clearly must be a bed ridden neckbeard with leukemia or something
>>
>>738355
>leukemia
>can grow a neckbeard

???
>>
>>738356
He's so neckbeardy that his neckbeard is chemo-resistant.
>>
>>738235
care to mention the 5-10 items we can talk about in your thread?
>>
>>738207

Clearly this guy is a no guns fag. Don't listen to what he says.
>>
File: 1440111071915.jpg (38KB, 466x379px) Image search: [Google]
1440111071915.jpg
38KB, 466x379px
>>738174
>paracord is shit
Nothing come close to the size and weight while maintaining the tensile strength. It literally has 1000 uses, why do you think it's shit?

>hydration bags are shit
stop buying the cheap chinese ones, well made ones hold up fine and have and excellent form factor for how much water they store

>>738235
>Useless, one way comms are shit
This I agree on, a radio that transmits would be far more useful. Even cheap baofengs have weather radio and FM radio capability.

You can even pick up AM broadcast with a Baofeng but it's a pain in the ass.
>>
>>738465
Paracord and water don't mix well, for one.
>>
>>738475
Cordage of any kind and water don't mix well.

Climbing rope is the same way really.
>>
So the socks are wool but nothing else. Strike one.

130 dollar portable stove for food that comes with heaters. Strike two.

Buying a 'kit' for 60 bucks when you could just bring a good compass, mirror and a firestarter for 15 bucks. Oh but it comes with stuff like paracord (which is already on the list) and a knife (folder) oh boy. Strike 3.

Fuck no .
>>
File: H3fLBEHJgfk.jpg (121KB, 800x633px) Image search: [Google]
H3fLBEHJgfk.jpg
121KB, 800x633px
>>738465
>stop buying the cheap chinese ones, well made ones hold up fine and have and excellent form factor for how much water they store
I don't like them.
>>
>>738174
>osprey hydranus
Fuck you nigger, it's compatible with my MSR filter saves space compared to a Nalgene and I don't have to take the pack off to use it.
>>
>>738505
oops, I accidentally my comma
>>
>>738503
>I don't like them.
Ok, that's great.

I do like them.
>>
>>738235
>otherwise good luck carrying duplicate shit

Two is one, one is none.
>>
>>738291
>Bladders are great as long as you don't puncture them,

And as long as you aren't of the habit of overstuffing your bag. If your bag is tightly packed its' impossible to get a bladder in / filled / it squeezes it and promotes leakages.

Tried the bladder. FWIW I prefer the simplicity of plastic water bottles. For a sport where your arms are occupied / high paced, like skiing or kayaking or whatever, sure a bladder makes sense. For hiking where you generally have the use of your hands, just use a bottle.
>>
>>738465
the appeal of crank radios is that they don't need batteries
avoid things that use batteries if possible

>>738291
>I wouldn't trust anyone who broadcasts.
lol you don't need to trust them, but it's still useful to know what people are saying, specially if there's an emergency broadcast from the government
you simply know more about what's going on

and if there's weather reports, I mean you're pretty tinfoil if you refuse to believe the weather report is what it is
>>
>>738538
>the appeal of crank radios is that they don't need batteries
I would rather pack extra batteries and a solar panel. Recharge my radios batteries instead.

I admit solar might not be the best option for everyone though.
>>
>>738543
I know solar charcers exist, but inevitably your batteries will run out of power on you when it's night time or something.
>>
>>738544
Baofeng battiers last days and I plan on carrying multiple+AA backup battery+rechargeable AA batteries

Top them off every chance you get and you will never run out (until the batteries reach the end of their life cycle I mean).
>>
>>738544
Crank radios and flashlights are unreliable, they break. A pair of quality lithium AA:s lasts like a very long time with a small radio or a flashlight.

Solar chargers are a bit gimmicky for a SHTF kit, almost as much as crank operated chargers. If you can figure out how to pack a solar sharger so that it stays in one piece it can be usefult though. In a case of an evacuation you may want something to charge your phone or tablet with. In any apocalyptic scenario you will be dead before you run out of batteries.
>>
>>738235
You sound like an insufferable faggot.
Did you create this thread just to get pissed off?
>>
>>738260
>k bar
Oh wow.
>>
>>740183
k-bars are fine as long as you don't baton with them
>>
>>740183
>>740184

Don't forget the main advantage of our generation of shitty kabars, lifetime warranty! Their knives quality may have decreased but it's still a decent company.
>>
>>738532
The main difference for me is where that weight is. Water on you back, closest to you center of gravity is easier to maneuver and feels lighter than water in your hands or on the outside of your bag. In an endurance trek like a thru-hike, that will translate to fewer calories burned by using a bladder instead of bottles, fewer calories burned means you don't have to carry as much food, and consequently lowers your weight even further.

>>738538
If your idea of a shtf scenario means that the government and news stations never go down then sure, keeping in the loop would be beneficial. But assuming a total collapse, and some random broadcast that claims to be government or even weather could be providing misinformation as a means to smoke out survivors to "aquire" their caches.

>>740571
Lifetime warrantees don't apply if the business goes under due to economic collapse. Or gets blown up in a nuclear explosion. Or gets over-run by zombies.
>>
File: IMG_0245.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0245.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>738174
rate my match storage for when things get a bit moist in SHTF
>>
File: IMG_0246.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0246.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>740939
>>
Anyone know of a good milsurp mess kit for a BOB?
>>
>>740939
thats not water proof
>>
>>741016
im gonna submerge in a bowl of water and be back with results
>>
>>740949
Classic $15 or less GI mess if you don't mind the potential alzeimers
>>
>>738260

>but muh 7 inner strands

if you have ever tired to pull them out of a section more than about 10 feet long you'll understand

it's way more hassle than it is worth
>>
>>741224
Ok. What's better ?
>>
>>741224
He never mentioned inner strands, faggot.

But regardless don't you know how to lash two nylon strands together? A single 5ft strand of paracord guts is 35 fucking feet dude. You suck at shit. You would dehydrate for lack of dr pepper.
>>
File: IMG_20160417_220652.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160417_220652.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
I got a nice looking pack from a local thrift store for like 9 bucks, I don't know a whole lot about bags or anything but it seems like it was a p good deal.

Any of y'all have experience with bags/frames like this? Are they any good? It looks like maybe a three day pack, only weighs a few pounds it feels like
>>
File: IMG_20160417_220551.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160417_220551.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
>>741751
and the other side, it needed a little adjustment cause I'm pretty small but after I got it all sorted out it seems pretty solid and comfy
>>
>>741753
>>741751
I have that exact pack. it's pretty nice. I don't really use it anymore now that I have a kampfrucksack
>>
>>741765
sweet, I would take it for a test hike but my doc explicitly said no more exercise bc my heart might give out bc apparently bulimia fucks up your heart somehow

Funnily enough I was actually looking at some bundesheer surplus stuff, maybe down the road I'll get some
>>
How about a silenced air rifle .22 cal with night sights? Hunt rabbit and birds with great efficiency and doesn't give away position like normal center fire guns. If sights break you can still continue shooting with stock sight. Hell you could even smelt the used led pellets and make your own ammo from materials around your area with ease.
>>
>>741911
I've strongly considered it. As far as SHTF viability you would want to buy spare sets of O-rings for the particular pellet gun and know how to break it down for cleaning and reassemble, before SHTF
>>
>>740659
>Lifetime warrantees don't apply if the business goes under due to economic collapse. Or gets blown up in a nuclear explosion. Or gets over-run by zombies.
If those are your worries, well, at least you'll have a knife to face them with, thanks to the company's warranty lasting until that SHTF happens.
>>
>>738218
Feel free to stop making shit threads.
>>
>>741751
I love external frames; I find em to hold a lot more and be more breathable than inner frames.

Downsidr is you may want/needto pick up some spare pins (or a cut up a coathanger) for that bad boy .
>>
>>738522
When two is one and one is none, you need three. But three is (one is none)+(two is one and one is none)=none+none=none

So, will four suffice?
>>
>>741751
Thats a fine pack and a real steal for that kind of money. Since you can put the sleeping bag outside you have plenty of space.
>>
>>742484
4=2+2
(two is one)+(two is one)=2
(two is one)=1
(one is none)=0

ur fugged m8
>>
>>742492
>sleeping sack outside saves on space
doesn't it leave it vulnerable to weather? I'm kinda poor so I just use wool blanket as a ground cover in whatever shelter I have, tent or lean to or whatever. What would be a good, cheap, durable sleeping bag for this kind of frame? Does such a thing even exist? It can get uncomfortable without an actual blanket but carrying two wool blankets is bulky and inefficient, especially bc I'm not that strong to begin with and I have a slight heart issue that I don't wanna push by carrying to much or putting to much strain on my body trying to keep me warm at night

Could I just like sew a tarp into a sleepsack shape, kill a couple deers, harvest their hides with fur and use it to line the inside? It sounds like a good idea to me but I have had ideas that I thought were awesome that really were just awful, and I feel like this might be one of those ideas
>>
>>742929
>>742929
Try looking through disposal stores for sleeping bags- a milsurp one may be a little heavier, but it should also be cheaper.
>>
>>742493
Hehe.

I am! Unless i bring seventeen, since that surely must suffice. Amirite.jpg
>>
File: loners_folly.jpg (114KB, 799x599px) Image search: [Google]
loners_folly.jpg
114KB, 799x599px
>>742929
Putting your sleeping bag outside can be done, if, and only if, you can harvest the eternal power of the trashbag! Or wrap it into your tarp.

Don't waste your time with hides or milsurp crap. Save 40 bucks and get a sleeping bag at amazon. The cheap ones have cheap zippers, bad stitches and slightly more bulk and weight, but they work just as good if you can live with that. Leave your blankets home. Get a proper groundpad, thermarest makes a good one for 20 bucks. It adds bulk, but works perfectly.

As for your heart, i'm sorry mate. I really am. But there are worse fates than going out on a trail.
>>
>>743463
Any idea how he died?
>>
File: siege famine.png (232KB, 811x942px) Image search: [Google]
siege famine.png
232KB, 811x942px
>>738174
I have a feeling stocking a good supply of food is also important.
>>
File: hunger games.png (40KB, 807x151px) Image search: [Google]
hunger games.png
40KB, 807x151px
>>743496
>>
>>743463
>Putting your sleeping bag outside can be done, if, and only if, you can harvest the eternal power of the trashbag! Or wrap it into your tarp.
that's what I've done like once or twice when I've gone overnight. I put a tarp around a thin wool blanket, but that gets cold pretty easy.

>Don't waste your time with hides or milsurp crap. Save 40 bucks and get a sleeping bag at amazon. The cheap ones have cheap zippers, bad stitches and slightly more bulk and weight, but they work just as good if you can live with that. Leave your blankets home. Get a proper groundpad, thermarest makes a good one for 20 bucks. It adds bulk, but works perfectly.
Alright, that's what I was leaning towards. My mum works at REI so I might be able to get a good deal on something from there. amazon is p cheap anyway tho and it's a lot more convenient than driving out to a store

>As for your heart, i'm sorry mate
thankfully it's not a congenital defect or anything, it's a result of bulimia so it should be possible to heal from it given enough time and proper management. I've been considering getting a small dirtbike to use for hiking. I already have a dualsport but the engine is blown, so theoretically I could just get another engine for it or sell it for parts to get a different, smaller cc bike

>>743469
after some extensive web searching and wayback machine fuckery the most I could find out it was an australian camper, who depending on what story that it really is, could be a college age woman or a male ranger type person. judging by the skeletal structure and small shoe size, I'd go with the woman. judging by the splaying of the legs it's possible she was raped and the rapist accidentally killed her. the tent poles look a little big for a single person camp anyway, so it's possible she was camping with a friend, they got drunk (see flask in corner), he raped her or they just had consensual sex and she had a choking fetish, she ended up dying, and they fucked right off out of there
>>
File: innawoods_avatar_1.jpg (174KB, 680x650px) Image search: [Google]
innawoods_avatar_1.jpg
174KB, 680x650px
So /out/ how did I do? My goal is to bug-out and get to my desired location within two weeks comfortably but I wanted to be able to survive longer if need be.
>>
Thinking of buying either the Armadillo, Badger or EBNS from Catoma as a bug-out shelter and am wondering what you all think of their products. I know some of their products are military issue so I think I'll be okay as far as durability goes but what sorts of environments would you avoid using them in?
>>
>>738174
So if these are the things you say I shouldn't have- would you mind telling me what things I should have? Genuinely asking.

Or are you just trolling and being pointless here?
Genuinely asking, as well.
>>
>>743516
I meant the sleeping bag can be strapped to your backpack from the outside if you wrap it in a trashbag or tarp, against rain, dummy.

Cheap sleeping bags are rated like expensive bags, they use the same methods. Only the weight, bulk, quality and materials differ if they have the same temperature ratings.

The position of arms, legs and all the gear was most likely disturbed by the animals eating dudes or dudettes flesh. Could be an infarction of the heart or brain. But i guess both are just theory so far.
>>
>>744790
Fixed bayonet on your crossbow, huh. How are you going to carry it around?
>>
In the army I've trekked over a hundred km in a week, with a water bag stuffed in a backpack with tons of other shit, it's a matter of the brand quality. We've also used paracord to hold the backpack together in those rare cases where the strap rips from the wear and weight, although it's not adjustable I would easily trust the paracord more that I would the used up straps on the backpack
>>
>>741109
>im gonna submerge in a bowl of water and be back with results
Anon must have drowned.
>>
>>748284
kekked
>>
File: IMG_0251.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0251.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>748284
ok, turns out that bottle wasn't very water proof. A little bit of water(but not a lot) got inside. HOWEVER
I found out this Krazy glue bottle is actually fully waterproof. Left it underwater for a good 15 min and everything inside was dray as a bone. Satisfied with the outcome I went ahead and glued a strike surface to it .
>>
>>749176
Facepalm.webm

I'm hoked, you should have probably put that on the inside, I love your crazy antics amon
>>
What's wrong with a KA-BAR? It's a full tang with a nice long blade. If you take care of it, it'll take care of you.

Just don't fucking baton with it.
>>
>>749186
>put it on the inside
I tried to, but it took up too much space inside.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (16KB, 295x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
16KB, 295x200px
>>738207
Holy shit. Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>749197

Back in my day you just used film canisters
>>
>>738260
paracord is obviously not shit, but it is absolutely 90% meme. there are so many more versatile, compact cords out there that im pretty surprised that paracord is as tenured as it is
>>
>>738174
You do realize that a lightweight, compact .22lr is the ultimate /out/ gun, right?

Like, you can throw 500 rounds in your pack and not even be that burdened.
>>
File: saw-back.jpg (9KB, 384x248px) Image search: [Google]
saw-back.jpg
9KB, 384x248px
>>738260
Sawback Glock "Feldmesser"

It's made out of spring steel so you will have to sharpen it more often. The tradeoff is that the thing is damn near indestructible.
>>
>>738174

OP has inadvertently discovered the true purpose of prepping: selling overpriced shit to paranoid hicks.
>>
>>749188
>Just don't fucking baton with it.

That's why people buy them, anon. Why else would you carry around such an unnecessarily huge chunk of metal in your pocket?
>>
>>750999
works pretty well as a hatchet. why not get two birds stoned at once?
>>
>>738356

Neckbeard is actually fungus.
>>
>>738174
>Stay away from 10/22 takedown, a lightweight low recoil, perfect for scavenging small game gun.
How about you stay away from posting things you clearly know nothing about
>>
>>743463
did he have any good loot?
i think that's a nalgene there on the right. anything of worth in that bag? boots don't look worth much in that state, and i don't know how i'd feel wearing a dead man's boots.
>>
>>743469
Pretty sure that's the suicide forest.
>>
File: bugoutbag.jpg (2MB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
bugoutbag.jpg
2MB, 3300x2550px
some of this shit can be left out obviously
inb4 OP gets triggered and has a stroke
>>
>>754561
>suicide forest
So.... pretty much any forest in Australia for the inexperienced?
>>
File: ar-7[1].jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
ar-7[1].jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
my bag rifle
>>
>>754804

Nice one, edgemaster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aokigahara#Suicides
>>
>>743516
How the fuck do people jump to conclusions like this? I'm literally dumbfounded. How does a picture of a body, the remains of a tent and water bottle lead you to Sherlock your way into drunken rape or choking fantasies?
>>
>>743516
There's absolutely no way you could make out the gender of that skeleton from that picture. The actual differences between male and female skeletons (it's not the size of the bones) are fairly minute. You would need to closely examine the cranium or pelvis in order to determine gender and even then, the variation in people's bodies can lead to a wrong identification. You have no idea what you're talking about Annon.
>>
>>743516

Also, you missed the bullet hole in the skeleton's forehead, Sherlock.
>>
File: out kit shtf.jpg (459KB, 1861x1658px) Image search: [Google]
out kit shtf.jpg
459KB, 1861x1658px
>>738174
>>
>>740184
why tf wouldnt you baton with a ka bar?
>>
>>740184
Are you off your rocker? K-bar is one of the few knives I'd trust to baton with if it were the only knife with me.
I usually have 3 knives so I'm covered if one breaks. I'd have no worries.
>>
File: 7318_0_823.jpg (183KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
7318_0_823.jpg
183KB, 640x427px
I'm pretty new to this shit and I don't take it very seriously but

Where do you plan to go and survive if it happens? If I was just going to come up with something the best thing would be to already know the location of several cabins on small islands, and assume some are going to be empty

Also how reliable would gold and silver be for trading?
>>
>>756012
how in the nine fuck you use an adapter with a pump action shotgun? i thought they were for breach loading guns.
>>
File: ka-bar.jpg (234KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ka-bar.jpg
234KB, 768x1024px
>>756039
is why
the neck of the knife is an ultimate point of failure. but the blade routinely breaks too from batoning stress fractures.
>>
>>754584
i like it if this bag would be extreme cheap i would buy it. in the off chance you need it the stuff would just work well enough for your immediate needs.

if it costs a lot tho then everything is shit in it.
>>
>>756044
>gold and silver
Not at all. Valuables will be things that people need to survive at least until civilized society is rebuilt. You should hide your gold & silver to get later and only carry essentials.
>>
>>756086
That's a 1/2 tang, why in hell would you baton with a 1/2 tang?
>>
File: geeps_ta.png (19KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
geeps_ta.png
19KB, 261x195px
>>756182
i think i've misunderstood this entire concept
>>
>>738207
I'm sorry that everyone has comprehension issues man.
>>
>>756012

What bag is that?
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.