[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

boots for trail work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: 10800_15100-1.jpg (17KB, 500x265px) Image search: [Google]
10800_15100-1.jpg
17KB, 500x265px
I'm on a back-country trail crew for 5 months started mid-May and I need to figure out some footwear. A good work boot that I can also hike in.

Something designed for wildlands firefighting or logging would probably be ideal, yeah? Obviously I don't want a toe-cap and the 3" heels on a lot of loggers seem like it would be awful to cover a lot of ground in. I'd also like boots I can get re-soled.

Been looking at White's and Danners. The White's are cheaper than the Danners but not by a lot. How do they compare to each other?

Any feedback?

Am I overthinking this and my Merrells will be fine?
>>
Is a steel toe a requirement for your job?
>>
>>734900
Nope
>>
>>734875
Am I overthinking this?

Yup. Get something comfortable.
>>
>>734875
I don't know White's, but I recently bought a pair of Danners and holy fuck, they're amazing. I bought a pair of their hiking style boots with gore tex, so not the same as what you're looking at. But I can definitely vouch for the quality.
>>
>>734926
If you think Danners are amazing you'd jerk off on a pair of Whites.
>>
>>734939
Yeah? Because the White's boots at my local Murdoch's are $50 cheaper than the Danners
>>
>>734926
Watch out for Dinner shills, OP. They are alive and well on these boards. Danner recently moved the vast majority of their production to Vietnam, and their quality has been steadily declining. Do yourself a favor and buy almost anything other than Danner. Clearly the company has some ethical issues.
>>
Havent read thread. Let me guess. You joined youth corps? Okay pal. Youre gonna make some trails and maybe be with 30 miles of a forest fire. Okay. So. Get 8 inch $200 all leather danners that arent steel toe. There you go.
>>
15years of experience building trail, get gorgia boots and don't spend over 150 or under 120, rocks and tools are going to fuck them up anyway. steel toe is give and take it can rub on your toes with the up and down all day causing blisters but it can stop a Pulaski or a small rock. Georgias are super comfy, water proof and pretty cheap for a solid boot.
>>
>>735059
>>734875

Georgia's are sick op. That high heel is actually pretty great when you're working, a lot comfier in situations where you aren't on level ground which I imagine will be often.

Get a pair of Georgia lineman, then break them in for three weeks before you go out, cus trust me.
>>
>>734974
So much edge
>>
>>735059
OP said he would be on the firegrounds. How do those hold up?
>>
>>734974
holy shit i just cut myself you're so edgy
>>
90% of the work I do on trails is rockwork; I wouldn't even go near a worksite without steel toes. They probably save me from injury multiple times a week; on top of that they can be a tool in and of themselves. I'm amazed they're not required by your org -- probably so they don't have to foot the bill themselves.
>>
File: shot shoes.jpg (217KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
shot shoes.jpg
217KB, 1600x1067px
>>734875
Hey /out/doorsmen

Currently on a trip in upper-mi ( near Gladstone/Escanaba ) and my footwear just fell apart after less than six month's time. I need to buy some replacements ASAP and currently only have $120 to spend. Can anybody point out some decent hikers for me; ideally I'd like to spend $80 but I'd gladly spend the whole $120 if I had to. Pic semi-related.
>>
>>734875
the ones on the right looks somewhat like the Danner 10 In. Ft. Lewis Go Devils Boots.
expensive but one of the best purchases I've ever made. Made it through 3 Ft Drum winters when in the army. i would recommend them without any hesitation.
>>
>>737469
Thank you for you're cervix
>>
File: DM_1490_BLACK_SMOOTH01.jpg (201KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DM_1490_BLACK_SMOOTH01.jpg
201KB, 1000x1000px
are doc martens a good option to wear /out/
been wearing no brand jump boots for years, but need new ones, what are your opinoins?
>>
>>737903
I sure as shit wouldn't take my Doc's into the woods.
>>
>>737907
for what reason? of fear to fuck them up or because or bad traction or what?
explain please?
>>
>>737908
Bad traction, shit ankle support, not all that durable, overpriced as fuck considering the above.

They're sub-par as a work boot and even worse to hike in.

Cool-looking though.
>>
>>737916
ok, thanks for the imput
>>
>>736822
Steel toes are specifically not recommended because of the amount of hiking we're doing, actually.
>>
>>734875
matterhorns? I used to work at a thrift store and once a pair came in. they look like they'd last forever.
>>
>>734875

Carolina and Georgia both make decent boots in the same style. Whites are normally what you'd buy if this is your full time career. If you just need a boot for 5 months you'd be fine getting a cheaper brand.
>>
>>735540 >>734974

He's on a trail building crew. If he was on a fire crew he woulda said so. He doesn't specifically need a fire boot.
>>
File: s1200_image.jpg (9KB, 178x178px)
s1200_image.jpg
9KB, 178x178px
OP here, ended up going with pic related.

Danner quarry boots. Gtx lined, 8".

Did I fuck up?
>>
>>740064
Nahhh, get yourself a pair of white's hathorn explorers, been rocking a pair for a couple of years and they're the best boots i've ever owned.
>>
>>734974

>Haven't read thread

>>/trash
>>
>>737916

It's because they're a fashion boot, not a working boot. Nothing wrong with that at all, just don't wear them /out.
>>
File: AAA.jpg (441KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
AAA.jpg
441KB, 1920x1440px
>>736822
I never crushed my toes once in a whole summer doing dry stone. I have no idea how you manage to almost hurt yourself on a weekly basis.

>>740064
They look fine, though you bought a work boot and not a hiking boot, it might be uncomfortable on longer days. Like anon said above, you're overthinking. Any sturdy hiking boot is good. My only real consideration is avoid a boot with too much stitching, especially in the toe area, which you've seen to have done.

I wear pic related, most people I know wear something similar with a rubber rand, or something similar to the Asolo TPS, which is a very heavy hiking boot.
>>
Get some Lowa's or Asolo's. Fuck Danner, they are local to me but their boots are so over rated it isn't even funny!
>>
>>734963
I'm half Vietnamese. I take some offense to this. Vietnamese people are pretty well known for doing good work with limited materials. Maybe you should be blaming the American parent company for LaCross Shoes for a) sending these skilled workers shitty impractical designs and b) skimping on materials. These are people that build underground tunnels with field hospitals, cooking fires that did not kill anyone inside and left no trace of fire on the surface, people that are often you doctor or pharmacist or engineers that design cutting edge technologies. Very ingenious people. The problem is retarded greedy Americans who think their American customers are as stupid as they are about what they are trying to pull. So leave Vietnam out of it.
>>
>>743677
>Portland hipster thinks popular local thing is overrated.

Shocker.
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Setter-Mens-83607-Brown/dp/B0058Z246K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1461306194&sr=8-6&keywords=red+wing+boots
Opinion on these?

I just got a free $100 dollar amazon gift card. Looking to spend just the card or 150 on some boots for innadesert and hiking. These were the first to catch my eye. Any other suggestions?
>>
>>745691

I don't have good feelings about the sole. Doesn't look like it'll give you any traction for hiking.

Also, what kind of desert are you talking about? I'm not sure these boots are good for the desert, but iono. Try to read up on good desert footwear if you're inclined.
>>
>>737879
i will thank your mum for her cervix
>>
>>745952
Dad get off 4chan.

why aren't you working?
>>
>>743697
>leave Vietnam out of it.

Go ahead and make me, halfbreed.
>>
>>734875
hey man i'd go with something which has a stitched sole. i've had several pairs of boots over the years with soles glued onto the bottom like these >>742059
and the first thing that goes wrong is the sole separates from the leather. doesnt matter how good the glue is, it still happens. and you can just glue it back together but only so many times. the good thing about those shoes is the toe cap. thats something you want. i've still got a pair of dock martins that i bought 4 years ago for just every day/out boots. and the stitching held up great. still in perfect condition. the stitching is actually stronger than whatever shitty leather they use, as the leather above the stitching has actually split open.
go with a leather boot, with a stitched sole and a toe cap if you can find it. goodluck! brands i'd suggest are danner, redwing, georgia and rocky
>>
>>734974
I did youth corp 10 years ago. Shit was cash and girls were DTF. Whats the issue there?
>>
Whats a good comfy long term hiking/trekking boot? All these boots here are if /fa/ wanted to pretend to be a rancher for a week.

If I say I was going to get a pair of 50-100 dollar timberlands, does your autism kick in?
>>
>>737043
You could get two pair of usmc issue boots for around that and while they aren't the most comfortable boot they will hold up forever
>>
>>746316
>Timberland
>2016

I had a pair of Timberlands I wore almost every day for 4 years. I beat the shit out of those boots, and loved the way they fit.

Bought another pair once those finally died on me. That pair lasted 4 months before they started disintegrating. Abysmally made compared to the first pair.

I've got some Timberland fashion boots I'll wear in situations that call for dress shoes, but I don't trust the brand for any kind of publishing use anymore.
>>
>>747810
>"publishing" instead of "publishing"

Fuck mobileposting
>>
>>747811
>"publishing" twice

PUNISHING

FUCK
>>
File: image_91818.jpg (13KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image_91818.jpg
13KB, 400x400px
Any Chippewa in here?

These are the boots I wear for wildland fires.

>implying you need a logger heel and aggressive tread for the fireline
>>
Would any of you guys recommend "Lowa Renegade GTX Mid Hiking Boots"? I'm looking for a good pair of hiking/backpacking boots but with the Lowa, they don't last long.
>>
>>747941
I think its a great boot for lightweight backpacking if you still want a mid height boot. Not the best boot for off-trail use as the sole is pretty supple and the suede/amount of paneling make them blow out pretty quickly with abuse. Mine blew out after I started doing a lot of scrambling with them.
>>
>>740064
Naw you did good OP. Danners are awesome boots, you'll like them. If you got the U.S. made ones you can even get them rebuilt for like $60-$70 dollars.
Now go break them in.
>>
>>747977
Any boot you would recommend for backpacking and off-trail?
>>
>>747984
Durability and stiffness like I alluded to before start to become a bigger consideration with off-trail hiking, especially if it involves scrambling. Bushwhacking alone will subject backpacking boots to wear around the upper that they would never encounter on trail. For this reason I prefer a heavier boot that's either one piece leather or has a rubber rand. >>742059 Is my previous post and what I wear. Anon mentioned that the rubber might delaminate, which I've never had an issue with personally as long as you take of them (and NEVER leave them to cook in a car). As far as stiffness goes, the unevenness of off-trail terrain can make your feet ache something bad after being off-trail for a few hours. Its nice to have a sole that's stiff enough that its difficult to bend with your hands (before they're broken in some at least). Also helps with scrambling.

Anyway, I recommend any of the heavier backpacking boots and light/nontechnical mountaineering boots from La Sportiva, Lowa, Scarpa, Zanberlan, Meindl or Asolo. Maybe I'm forgetting a name or two but many brands have gone the way of the lightweight synthetic hiking boot which IMO just don't hold a candle to the somewhat pricier but more rugged boots of old. Notice most of the brands I mentioned are european, or at lest used to be. I've heard mixed reviews of vasque since they moved production out of Italy. The new norm is to expect to buy "performance" backpacking boots (like the renegades) after max 2 seasons of hiking. Just my 2c.
>>
File: L37348100.jpg (535KB, 1000x904px) Image search: [Google]
L37348100.jpg
535KB, 1000x904px
How good r these? (Salomon quest 4d gtx)

Specifically looking for a good hot weather boot.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.