[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building a Campgrounds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 20

File: Nevada 1.jpg (50KB, 820x615px) Image search: [Google]
Nevada 1.jpg
50KB, 820x615px
Hey /out/, I don't spend much time here but you guys have a lot of common interests with /k/ and this is very relevant to the outdoors. So, long story short I'm building a Campground and target range out in Nevada this summer. I'll post some pictures so you have an idea of what the 80 acres I own looks like.

I have some planned projects listed on the website www.arkadiaranch.com so you can kind of see the direction we're heading in. Feel free to share your thoughts and ideas so I can help improve upon what I already have in mind.

What suggestions do you have for someone building a Campgrounds? What would you want to see out there? What sort of attractions or amenities would make it more appealing?
>>
File: Nevada 2.jpg (69KB, 820x615px) Image search: [Google]
Nevada 2.jpg
69KB, 820x615px
>>732060
More pics incoming.
>>
File: Nevada 3.jpg (55KB, 820x615px) Image search: [Google]
Nevada 3.jpg
55KB, 820x615px
>>732061
As you can see, there is literally nothing there at the moment. Just barren Northern Nevada desert.
>>
File: Nevada 6.jpg (44KB, 615x820px) Image search: [Google]
Nevada 6.jpg
44KB, 615x820px
>>732062
>>
File: Nevada 7.jpg (413KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Nevada 7.jpg
413KB, 1920x2560px
>>732064
The land is mostly flat with short dead grass or just barren. Some gently rolling hills and at least one decent sized ridge.

>the one I'm standing on in this pic

You can see pretty much the whole valley from up there.
>>
I don't think i have any qualified suggestions but i'll think it over. cool beans man!
>>
Presumably you just need showers, fire pits, and toilets.

Everything else is bring-your-own-tent.

You could go with a latrine system if you want to be a poorfag, but I'd honestly rather just dig a septic tank.

Maybe throw in some trailers as the actual office.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/used-office-trailers
>>
>>732107
Thanks mate. If you have any suggestions/requests feel free to throw them in. Worse thing I'll say is "Unfortunately that won't work, but thanks for the idea."

>>732109
>showers, fire pits, and toilets.

Good points. I've added a few shower stalls to the build list for August. Probably just going to go with a gravity fed system and paint the water drums black so the sun warms them up. I can buy clean (though not technically potable) water in bulk from the county real cheap and their municipal building is on the same road that leads to my property. And I have a hit on a place here in Michigan that I can buy food grade water storage containers from at a decent price.

I'm buying an auger to put in the support beams for the awnings to provide shade on the range so I can use that to dig some shallow pits around the campsite for fire pits and then clear any nearby dry grass and stack the dirt around the edges. There isn't any woodland on the property but I can get a woodcutting permit at the Hardware store in Nevada for $5 that provides unlimited cutting in designated zones.

For restrooms I'm going to call some Rentals and get a quote on Porta Potties. There's no plumbing (or anything else yet) onsite so flushing toilets are not an option and I can't put in septic without going through the Nevada board of health. Though fortunately that is literally the only thing I need permission to build. The county has no zoning codes, though my contractor will still be building to up to code, just means less paperwork for us.

Not a bad idea with office Trailers. I might get one down the road. Or build one, upside to having hosted a lot of /k/ meetups, I've met a lot of guys across the US with good skills that are willing to help out.
>>
File: GP-Medium-16-32-army-surplus.jpg (27KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
GP-Medium-16-32-army-surplus.jpg
27KB, 400x300px
>>732139
Having been in the military and there being a lot of other veterans and just firearm/military surplus enthusiasts that have been to the /k/ NuggetFest events I've hosted in the past, I'm leaning towards a "military" theme, though it's not going to be a means of excluding anyone. But having a lot of surplus tents and other similar styles of structures/gear I think would be fun.

I'm looking at picking up one of these 16ft x 32ft tents to use as a Mess Hall/Dining area. Going to get some folding tables and chairs to go with. It's a bit more than just sitting around a campfire and roasting hotdogs but it's not taking away from the fun of camping out and getting away from the city.
>>
>>732139
My thinking is, you'll have a lot of labor.

Have you put out the lines for volunteers?

A couple threads on /k/ describing your concept with a contact email would probably help a lot, albeit not many people will head over to rural Nevada to give you free labor.

It probably would help to have construction projects planned out before the fest starts so that you can make the most of the free labor while it's there.

Also, you can buy little flush toilets that don't connect to a septic system.

I was thinking you'd use a system of volunteers to keep them clean, keep the water tank full, and keep the poop tank empty.

>>732144
I was thinking a Bring Your Own Tent sort of thing to save money wherever possible, but large mess tents might be fun, assuming people aren't assholes about it.
>>
File: modular gi tent.jpg (33KB, 500x479px) Image search: [Google]
modular gi tent.jpg
33KB, 500x479px
>>732144
And a smaller tent for the Medical Station. Fortunately I already have an experienced EMT that's helped out at previous events that's offered to help run the Med Tent. I'll probably get a couple more cots to put in there, just in case someone gets heat sick and needs to lay down or whatnot.
>>
>>732147
>Have you put out the lines for volunteers?

Yes. The original work party was set for March, but the Fundraiser pulled in 40% of the funds needed to build the awnings for the range and other minor projects, so we pushed back the work party to August so I can save up more of my money to contribute and possibly put up another fundraiser in July-ish. I didn't properly promote the first one my fault.

(I won't be posting the fundraiser links on 4chan as that violates the Advertising rules, and I try not to be a dick like that)

As is, I have enough guys that agreed to help with the build party and enough tools to get just about everything done. (may need to rent a backhoe to build the earth berms for the backstop on the range) Though I'm happy to accept any help others would like to offer.

I should make it clear upfront that NuggetFest is completely free and always will be, but Arkadia Ranch in Nevada is not a free event. Not trying to shill but being transparent from the beginning.

>It probably would help to have construction projects planned out before the fest starts so that you can make the most of the free labor while it's there

Yeah, the build party is the second weekend in August and Arkadia Ranch opens up the following weekend. I've made several threads on /k/ before but it just donned on my that /out/ might be interested in a crossboard that's building a campsite. So I thought I'd get your guys' opinions on the matter.

>>732147
>I was thinking a Bring Your Own Tent sort of thing to save money wherever possible, but large mess tents might be fun, assuming people aren't assholes about it.

Agreed, though I have some very good cooks that have agreed to help out cooking, so I'm planning a big ass barbecue, that's why we need a Picnic tent for people to sit down and enjoy their food. Everyone gets at least one free dinner with their ticket.
>>
>>732151
Have you bought banner ads?

>>732151
Oh shit, there are tickets?

I assumed this was just a massive poorfag clusterfuck out in the desert.

Will you have badges or armbands or some shit to keep out freeloaders?
>>
>>732155
>Have you ever bought banner ads?

Yeah, I have for online The Crimson Caravan store I run, but they don't really do much, as much as I like supporting 4chan. Most people run AdBlock or just ignore them. Though I'll probably still buy some for /k/ and /out/.

>I assumed this was just a massive poorfag clusterfuck out in the desert.

Haha, that pretty much describes the free NuggetFest /k/ meetups I host. But Arkadia Ranch is something different. Kind of like Knob Creek (a big machine gun meetup) meets Burning Man. I'm aiming for it becoming a big festival for people that enjoy the outdoors; camping, horseback riding, target shooting, offroading dirtbikes/atvs, etc. It's not just about guns, but that's a big part too.

>Will you have badges or armbands or some shit to keep out freeloaders?

Yes, but mostly as a means of CYOA (cover your own ass.) It's not all about money, as important as that is to pay for expenses and maintenance, but it's largely about ensuring that everyone in attendance has signed a waiver and listened to all of the safety briefs. I don't like having to do waivers/badges, but with a legal fully automatic weapons range and dirt bike track, I have to take legality/liability very seriously. Fortunately I've met a lawyer through NuggetFest that will be helping me write up the waivers and legal dickery.

I'm going to talk to some of my artist /k/ommandos and and see about designing a velcro patch to use as the armbands/badge, that way people have a nice souvenir to take home. And make new ones each event, both as a new gift and so old ones can't be reused.
>>
>>732157
It seems like you may have thought this out to the point where we can't help much.

But yeah, big bonfires, clean water, a place to shit, and you're more or less set.
>>
>>732177
You might be right, I've been planning for awhile and had others brainstorming with me but it never hurts to get more feedback. Plus it's a good way to gauge interest here.

I wouldn't imagine that /out/ has super high standards for a campsite or something like this, since the concept itself is pretty straightforward, like you described. It's mostly the attractions, like bbq, target range, dirt bike track, horse corral etc that are bulk of the effort/cost.

But I wanted to give the board a chance to have some input out of shared interests and mutual respect. I know /out/ is a slower board so I'll keep the thread bumped and check back now and then. If anyone has any suggestions or requests feel free to put them out there and I'll see what I can do.
>>
Fuck man, that sounds like a lot of fucking work. Reading the entire thread gave me anxiety. Maybe im just a bitch. Good luck though, project seems cool as fuck
>>
>>732197
>Fuck man, that sounds like a lot of fucking work.

Ha, yeah, it's no walk in the park but anything worth having is worth working for. And thanks man.

Also I just realized I forgot to throw out my email for any /out/siders interested in helping or getting on the newsletter for more information.

[email protected] or
[email protected] both work

Also, there's more info on the website
www.arkadiaranch.com
>>
>>732060
>suggestions
If there is naturally occurring surface water on the property, a fishing area with shade trees would be pretty cool.
>>
>>732225
This. Show off the natural beauty as much as possible.
But of a shame there's no trees, but I suppose it can't be helped.
>>
>>732225 again,
If there isn't naturally occurring surface water, an artificial pond would be about as cool.

Also, why stop at full fun firing range? You could add artillery. Set up a mortar, let folks shell a preset area for x dollars per crater.
>>
>>732225
Sadly there is no freestanding/running water on the properly to my knowledge. I haven't explored the entire 80 acres yet, but I've seen nothing on google earth, which doesn't surprise me since annual precipitation is less than 15 inches a year.

Once things are further established I do plan to move out to Nevada and live there full time. I don't have a timeline for the more long term improvements but I would like to put in a greenhouse with a flower garden. Maybe one big enough for a koi fish pond too. A fishing area would require constant upkeep for everything from keep the water filled, to stocking it with fish to feeding the fish, but in a couple of years I could foresee that being doable. It's 80 acres, so there's room for it, assuming I can keep the water level up.

>>732227
I've been told that Mesquite trees can survive on very little water in Desert regions and they grow fairly fast so I'm looking into planting a few and seeing how they do. If they can survive I'll plan a lot more and look into other region specific flora/fauna that don't require maintenance like the green house plants would. I like the plains/desert but some foliage would be nice too.

The soil isn't good for growing much, but if I bring in good top soil and irrigate well I could probably put in a small flower garden even without the greenhouse.

>>732233
>Also, why stop at full fun firing range? You could add artillery.

You read my mind. It won't be right away but I do intend to build up the firing range and try to make more connections with other enthusiasts to see what cool stuff they could bring. Something like this someday would be great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-XKXx1clSQ

I've got some /k/ommandos with belt fed machine guns, full autos, suppressors(silencers), 50cal Sniper Rifles, etc. Working on cannons in the future, we've never had a suitable place to shoot one off until I got this property so it's not been something we could do before.
>>
>>732139
Composting toilets or pit toilets are ok. Portapotties seem like an upgrade from the campgrounds I've been at.

Unless you make a nice bathroom setup with mirrors, sinks, and composting toilets. Pretty luxurious, but comfy af.

Showers can be coin-op. That seems to be the standard around here.
>>
Picnic tables by fire pits?
>>
Not to be a downer but this sounds greasy as fuck
>>
>>732144
>pic
Why did the grass die around the pegs?
>>
Location location location. Unless you got some waterfalls, trout stream, rock climbing, etc. on your campground, then who the fuck would want to come?
>>
>>732060
>Campground and target range

Is the target range separate from the campground, or are they the same thing and just marketed to different people?
> Campground with authentic survival experience
> Target range with authentic targets
>>
File: 1438633281596.jpg (195KB, 500x749px) Image search: [Google]
1438633281596.jpg
195KB, 500x749px
that looks bleak as fuck mate.

why don't you go /mongol/ theme?

have a nice yurt, a few horses and some guys dressed up in fur hats with eagles and people are guarenteed to come
>>
>>732151
>Fundraiser pulled in 40% of the funds needed
Begging on /k/ doesn't work so you come here and start trying to raise money? Anyone here interested in playing army on a range in the desert range is already on /k/. Go away and stay go, we aren't interested in your militaristic /cos/ fantasies. That is why this board was created in the first place. Have fun destroying the environment.
>>
>>732533
rood
>>
>>732345
Portapotties are the temp solution to avoid any issues with the Nevada board of health and to limit having to worry about it for the time being. But composting toilets aren't a bad idea and one I might look into in the future.

Coin-op showers are a good idea too, if only as a means of keeping people from wasting water.

>>732348
>Picnic tables by fire pits?

That's a good one. We could probably save money just building them ourselves vs buying prefab kits. I looked into those charcoal grills that a lot of parks/campsites have that have a post cemented into the ground, but those things ironically are way more expensive than a regular outdoor grill. I'll probably get a bunch of metal grates people can use to cook over the fire with.

>>732350
Define "greasy", I don't know that slang friend.

>>732352
That's from a website that exclusively sells Military surplus tents. I think they used roundup to mark the grass so they know exactly where the tent stakes go anytime they need to set one up for someone to look at.

>>732469
Same thing. I'm envisioning a large Festival style scenario with a wide array of different hobbies available. Like guns, bring your own or rent one at the range. Like dirt bikes and atvs, bring your own or rent one at the track, like camping out, bring a tent or rent one at the campsite. Like BBQs, bring your own supplies or enjoy the 1 free meal at the Mess Tent or buy more if you're hungry. Like Horseback riding, bring your own or rent one at the corral.

>>732478
I go with what I know, if you want to come and set up a yurt for your tent go for it.

>>732533
No offense but your opinion seems to be the minority here as everyone else in this thread has provided some excellent feedback. I never posted a link to the fundraiser on 4chan and I never will. I'm here for your ideas not your cash.
>>
>>732652
Have you looked into the social arrangements at Burning Man?

From what I've heard, they do an excellent job of keeping tens of thousands of stoned people out in the desert from devolving into anarchy, with no police, and no real heirarchy.

The social engineering here is interesting.
>>
>>732662
Oh, hadn't thought of that, good suggestion. Fortunately I have a quite a few people from the meetups I've hosted that have agreed to help out with watch the target range and keep an eye on things to make sure everyone is being safe and having fun. I've also learned a lot about group dynamics and how people react in larger numbers from hosting NuggetFest, though the largest event I hosted was only 80+, so looking at incredibly large social events like Burning Man could lend some solid insight, thanks.
>>
>>732652
>I'm here for your ideas not your cash.
Good, we don't have any.
>>
will this be MGTOW friendly?
And I do have cash...
>>
>>732060
You have mail. Shoot north.
>>
I'm assuming you need help with building things.

I do not have tools, nor do I have experience. But I will give you 100% of my effort. I'm a work horse as long as someone gives me direction.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1457140635273.jpg (22KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1457140635273.jpg
22KB, 540x540px
You seem to be lost.

Home is this way

>>>/k/catalog
>>
>>732942
Ha, I know. The average /k/ommando and /out/ are not wealthy, but good hard working people with some helpful ideas.

>>733099
In addition to the various safety and legal rules there is a general rule of "Don't be a dick to others." So anyone that can abide by that is welcome.

>>733114
Got the email, thanks mate.

>>733134
>I will give you 100% of my effort.

That would be awesome man. Anyone that helps build Arkadia Ranch gets free entry among a few other things. If you haven't already, send me an email to [email protected] so I can keep you updated.

As it stands the build party is August 12-14 and Arkadia Ranch opens for 4 days August 18-21 I have hammers, cordless saws, cordless drills, etc and a few other guys have generators and other tools we can use.

>>733325
What are you doing here? lol
>>
>>733332
/out/ and /k/ share alot of similarities . not to mention I generally enjoy camping.

I'll probably be getting a ticket at some point.
>>
>>733332
>build party is August 12-14
Are you paying airfare? I'd love to help but need to get there from Boston Logan or Providence TF Green.
>>
>>733342
>Are you paying airfare?

Unfortunately not, but I am shopping around for used school buses. I have a very mechanically inclined /k/ommando that's offered to fix it up for me and ensure it's road worthy to use for transporting /k/ommandos and /out/s from the East Coast out to Nevada
>>
>>733332
So no women then?
>>
>>733527
If there are wimmenz there, Just wear your MGTOW patch and they'll leave you alone. You shouldn't limit your life experiences because of a self-imposed social status.
>>
>>733527
There aren't any rules that say that, but it's a /k/ meetup, so probably not.
>>
>>733527
>>733531
>>733557
We've had women at every Event I've hosted, minus 1.

NuggetFest/Arkadia Ranch doesn't discriminate.
>>
>>733460
neat
>>
>>733631

You've had minus 1 women at your events?
>>
File: 06520.jpg (40KB, 598x316px) Image search: [Google]
06520.jpg
40KB, 598x316px
>>732060
>What suggestions do you have for someone building a Campgrounds?
dont fuck with the FED's
>>
>>735246

What actually happened with that whole thing? I assume it's over by now, is it?
>>
>>732060
Sorry if you already told somebody, but how much did the 80 acres cost? How high is the water table?
>>
>>735244
That was poorly worded lol. Every event, except for 1, has had women present.

>>735246
Never have and don't intend to. We've camped on BLM land before with 0 issues.

>>735253
That was from last year and yes it's over. It's an incredibly long and off topic story. Google "Bundy Ranch" and read some links, that should give you a good idea of what happened.

>>735283
>How much did the property cost?

Pretty affordable considering that there isn't much to add value to the property. I got it for less than $20,000.

>How high is the water table?

Not at all. The area only gets inches of precipitation a year and while I haven't explored the entire property yet I haven't seen any freestanding or flowing water on it. I was researching putting in a well and was told it would probably have to go down 500+ feet. (pricey) So I'll probably hold off on that for awhile and keep purchasing large food grade water storage containers for a decent price and purchase water from the local City Municipal building for several dollars per thousand gallons.
>>
>>735283
The water table is what I was wondering too. Reliable, convenient, clean water is a must, so a well is ideal, but kind of expensive.

>>732652
How remote are you? It might cost a butt load to have portapotties delivered, serviced and removed if you're in the middle of the nowhere. Installing a composting toilet would be a one time cost, but probably expensive too...

>>732139
Where will your firewood come from? Looks like few trees on your property. Maybe a few large communal pits would be better than a small one at every site.

Sounds like a great idea. The mess hall tents would be cool. One of my life goal is to buy land, open a campground and retire there.
>>
File: Arkadia Ranch Map.png (40KB, 400x270px) Image search: [Google]
Arkadia Ranch Map.png
40KB, 400x270px
>>735480
>How remote are you?
Quite. (map included) I'm looking into Porta Potties as a temporary solution with Composting toilets being a more long solution at least until the day when I have plumbing out there or an alternative solution.

>Where will your firewood come from? Looks like few trees on your property.

Correct, very few trees if any. See >>732139 Part of the build party will be heading to one of the nearby designated cut zones and loading up my truck and trailer with firewood with the $5 cut permit. I'm picking up two used but good condition chainsaws pretty cheap to help with that. Firewood will be available to attendees for something cheap like a couple bucks a bundle, but that's as a means of keeping people aware of how much wood they're burning so they don't burn the entire wood supply in two days and have nothing for the last two days.
>>
>>735526
I'd honestly bite the bullet and go for a regular septic tank.

It'll probably be expensive to build, but there is nothing humans have achieved as a species more than the ability to make poop disappear without a trace.
>>
>>735563
*more impressive
>>
>>735563
>>735564
That's probably the route I'm going to go depending on the quote I get back from the Porta Rental service.
>>
>>735638
My vision for this is to have curious people come to Nuggetfest headquarters off season, and all they find is a disembodied gas station bathroom miles away from civilization.

Everything else you can comfortably nigger rig.
>>
File: awning.jpg (144KB, 432x263px) Image search: [Google]
awning.jpg
144KB, 432x263px
>>735656
Ha, well there will also be the permanent awnings for the target range. Something similar to this.
>pic related

And other permanent structures will come in the future. But I agree with your point that this is one of the things that needs clear thought and preparation and most other things can be modified in a more relaxed and impromptu manner.
>>
>>732067
"everything the light touches"
>>
>>733631
>We've had women at every Event I've hoste

I am not going to any /k/ events full of whores
>>
S E N P A I !!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>735884
>not going to any /k/ events full of whores
So what you're saying is that you prefer to attend /k/ events full of brownies?
>>
>>735831
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GibiNy4d4gc

>>735884
I promise I won't stop you from not coming.

>>735914
It's like you guys follow me lol.

>>735928
That was like the worst adaptation of that joke I've heard yet. lol, at least you tried.
>>
>>735683

One suggestion, put in some support structures for hammockfags, eg. the metal pipe setup pictured in this review: http://theultimatehang.com/2016/03/hennessy-hammock-monsoon-tarp-review/
>>
>>735965
Nice! I was thinking about putting in posts or something for hammocks due to the lack of trees. I appreciate the link man, that might work.
>>
>>735928
whats a brownie
>>
>>736059

No worries. If you go to ultimatehang.com there are a few different setups of support structures that can be used to hang multiple hammocks; there's one that accommodates up to 6 in a single cluster. Would be cheap to install considering it's just a basic frame from metal pipe that's concreted at the base.
>>
>>735930
Most of us post on other boards you know
>>
>>732808
This is seriously cool. I've been wanting to go to a nuggetfest but they keep seeming to be in PA. im in sonora CA and although i don't have allot of experience farming the soil on that side of the mountains, i would be more than willing to help give it a go. im only on 2 acres right now and most of it is hilly so i havent been able to start homesteading on it because it's mostly not usable. but you have a perfect area. i'd be willing to help you build sustainable shit and find you some free livestock.

also, they're downing 11 trees on my lot soon, i can build you some wood furniture for the christening of the first event.
>>
>>736093
Well one plus of you being in California is being closer to Arkadia Ranch in Nevada. It won't be right away but I do plan on moving out to the property in the future and setting up a modest self sufficient community. Nothing like a hippy commune or militia cult or that crap. Just like a nice little farm community out in the country. That's a ways off though. I'll make some threads here and on /k/ down the road when the time comes.

Having some nice wooden furniture would be great and certainly appreciated.

>>736084
Excellent, thanks for info man.
>>
Would you ever consider creating a dirt runway on the property for people to fly to the location?

Definitely have the space for it. I'm inexperienced with dirt strips but after the initial leveling it should be low maintenance.
>>
>>736623
I've thought about it. I know a few pilots that have showed interest in it.

I also an engineer that specializes in grading and road layouts that might be able to help.
>>
>>732060
here's some thoughts. I don't know how feasible or whatever but anyway:

-be cool to have a central lodge where people could hang out. Like a log cabin hunting lodge type deal with a fireplace and whatnot and maybe some mounted deer and moose heads and such. But that's probably for when it's become a success and there are more funds.
-maybe you could have a few areas for people to stay. open lot areas for car tent camping, RV section, maybe a military tent area (I'm sure some of the vets would love that setup... get them MREs for meals too!)... for /out/ists it'd be cool to have a little hike in site for a little quiet... but be aware of areas that could be prone to flash floods in its route and placement... somewhere with a nice view is always great.
-I feel like a place to store firearms after a certain hour should be mandatory if people would be drinking but I'm Canadian, not American.
-I'm not overly familiar with firearms ranges but it'd be cool to be able to rent some obscure rifles. As an out guy I would be interested in the following: armalit/henry AR-7 survival rifle, springfield armory M6 scout, ruger 10/22 takedown, ruger gunsite scout.
-it'd be cool if for big events you did stuff like a pig roast or something. or like a class thing like how to make jerky. I'm guessing some people will just be along for the ride and it'd be nice if they had things to do.
>>
>>738451
I will also add that if you do go with the hike out camp site idea you'd do well to get some sc/out/s to decide on a suitable location and trail. I'm thinking about a 10 mile round trip on a well marked trail is about as far as I'd make it for general use.
>>
>>738452
also someone was joking it was bleak and you should get yurts. Actually I've been in similar areas in my life and the sunsets in those kinds of places are amazing usually. really beautiful. But anyhow, one thing that actually might be cool is renting a tipi. I hear they are pretty cool in the day and can be relatively warm at night. probably a similar cost to a prospectors tent. I'd try it once. get a little fire going in there at night, get cozy in a buffalo hide blanket, smoke my hand carved tobacco pipe while listening to the sound of crickets on into the starry night.
>>
>>738451
I definitely like where you're going with this man. Same direction I was looking. The campsite will be quite large so it'll allow people the opportunity to create their own themed areas like what you've mentioned and what can be seen at large events like Wasteland Weekend or Burning Man. (within reason of course haha) And like you mentioned an area for parking cars and RVs and different styles of tents.

I really like the idea for a hiking trail with a campsite at the end of it. I'd planned on having a couple of designated hiking areas but hadn't thought of having a camping area out that way. I agree that some people will likely enjoy having a spot a ways away from the other groups and the range. Once I get the range built and the campsites I'll be able to better plan out the hiking trails around them.

Regarding alcohol: For the NuggetFest events I've hosted the rule always was, once you start drinking you're done handling firearms for the day. For a larger event like Arkadia Ranch alcohol will not be permitted until after the range closes near the end of the day. This is the best way to ensure no one is operating a firearm while under the influence of alcohol. It will also be stated that firearms are to be put away once an individual starts drinking. That coupled with NO loaded firearms away from the range, will help keep everyone safe without putting a damper on the fun.

It won't be right away but I will be getting an FFL so I can procure a growing selection of firearms for people to rent and try out at the range. And a pig roast is something I've been talking about too. I wanted to give everyone 1 free meal with their ticket, something like a pig roast or BBQ, at the Mess Hall. Then you also have a place to buy a nice hot meal during the weekend if you want after you use up your free one.
>>
File: death valley stars.jpg (637KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
death valley stars.jpg
637KB, 2048x1366px
>>738451
Classes are a great idea. I have some NRA certified /k/ommandos interested in offering classes for attendees. Jerky making and other survival/older skills like canning or dressing/cleaning animals would be a lot of fun for some people.

Like you said, "I'm guessing some people will just be along for the ride and it'd be nice if they had things to do." I want to have a wide array of activities people can take part in during the 4 day event. While the range and firearms are a big part, just shooting guns isn't the only thing I want to have for people to do. Hiking, camping out, learning different skills, dirt biking/atv-ing, and even horseback riding and much more.

>>738461
>I've been in similar areas in my life and the sunsets in those kinds of places are amazing usually. really beautiful.

I have to agree. Seeing the Sunrise/Sunset in the Desert is truly amazing. It also helps that the closest town to my property is 10 miles away and only has a population of roughly 250 so there's very little light pollution out there.

>I'd try it once. get a little fire going in there at night, get cozy in a buffalo hide blanket, smoke my hand carved tobacco pipe while listening to the sound of crickets on into the starry night.

Damn, that really sounds peaceful. I'll definitely have a campsite that's separate from the others and designated for people that want a peaceful quiet spot each night.

I appreciate all the suggestions from everyone in this thread, you guys are helping me make this more fun for everyone.
>>
>>736623
>>736806
What is the legislation on that?
I assume you can't just bulldoze a strip of land, call it a runway, and have pilots land on it. Or can they?
>>
>>738743
If you could get some actual North Carolinians out there to make some proper barbecue, that'd make everything roughly twice as good.
>>
>>736081
brownie --> bronie --> brony (people who fuck cartoon horses or somethin)
>>
File: nod.gif (788KB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
nod.gif
788KB, 235x240px
>>732060
I don't really have any more ideas besides those that were already posted. But shit sounds rad as fuck....
good luck man...
>>
>>736081
>brownie
a young not quite girl scout.
Brownie is to Girl Scout what Cub Scout is to Boy Scout

Underage...
>>
>>738796
From what I remember one of the pilots saying, I'll likely need the FAA's help to actually make the runway.

>>738962
Hmm, there is a group of North Carolinians coming to Summer NuggetFest in June. I'll talk to them about getting some cooks out to Arkadia Ranch. Currently I do have 1 Indonesian Certified Chef on board.

>>738981
Thanks man, lots of people are excited so we'll see what the future holds for us all.
>>
>>732240
>Sadly there is no freestanding/running water on the properly to my knowledge
What are your water rights, especially regarding diversion? Even half a foot of rain can really add up if you manage to create a watershed, even a temporary one out of tarps.

The ridge would be a perfect place for one and while you have a backhoe rented even just leveling out the ground and leaving it at that would be a great idea.

Looking it up this guy seems to have a good vid on it regarding building one in arid environments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgquf2NX0xw&index=2&list=PLKhDkilF5o6-nB34oHZfLX22BGRK1VuCX
>>
>>739064
I think for a dirt strip on your property you don't need any kind of FAA approval, but I could be wrong.

I think you'd only need to involve them if you want it have an official designation and such.
>>
File: image%3A28608.png (499KB, 1862x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image%3A28608.png
499KB, 1862x1536px
>>738978
>>738995
You're both so far from right, you're practically left.

Pic related.
>>
If you want to go with the tough guy theme, I suggest building a military grade obstacle course. No man can resist a good physical challenge.
>>
>>739623
The area only gets 15in of precipitation per year, so II'm not sure how well that would work but I can take a look at that

>>739792
Yeah, either way if I decide to do anything like that I'll be researching it heavily.

>>740125
Wasn't really going for a "tough guy theme" but an obstacle course sounds fun regardless.
>>
>>740158
That should be plenty given one cubic foot of water is a bit under seven and a half gallons so an area of just 100x100 would give you over 93,506 gallons a year. With maybe a couple dozen subtracted for various other losses like evaporation and leakage.

Not sure how much UV resistant tarp is over there though.
>>
File: fake brownies.png (241KB, 974x688px) Image search: [Google]
fake brownies.png
241KB, 974x688px
>>740063
A clever ruse that was, indeed.
>pic related

>>740550
>Not sure how much UV resistant tarp is over there though.

I actually looked into UV/Cold resistant tarps for large water collection containers. Sadly the tarps are even more expensive than the containers themselves. It does snow in the winter so having those containers above ground without insulation could lead to them freezing, expanding, and getting damaged/destroyed.

Underground water storage would likely be the best bet, though that is still quite a ways off. Not that I mind the suggestions, have at it.
>>
>>740727
I was thinking more of just laying out tarps in a fashion that will direct water from patch of ground to a cistern system.
>>
>>740767
Ah gotcha. You know that might not be a bad idea. Even if it's just used for water plants/gardens any extra amount of water would be helpful especially for long term sustainability.
>>
>>740727
>pic
The first part was funnier (to me, that is; probably because I wasn't actually at the meetup). Clever ruse is best ruse. I laughed, actually laughed out loud, for about ten minutes when I read that thread.
>memories.jpg
>>
>>742048
Yeah, I was in that thread when it happened too, and I gotta admit it was pretty funny at the time. Though I've had to debunk that story more times than I can count.
>>
>>740767
would underground water storage work too?
>>
>>743865
If buried below frostline I don't see why not. Would have added benefit of protecting plastic tanks from the sun.
>>
File: image.jpg (776KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
776KB, 1600x1200px
And so it is the official /k/ompound will be constructed. A Mecca for kommandos everywhere and we will either set forth a plan to transport the holy murder/k/ube here or sculpt our own.
/k/ /out/ /o/ and some others may join and end up building a town if this lasts longer than a few years
Im just thinking long term here.
>>
>>744252
/diy/ here, signing up for enlistment!
>>
>>732060
I'm not sure if you already answered this or not, but did you have to get any permits or anything to convert private land into a campground? Was there any other things the state or county or whoever wanted you to do?
>>
>>743865
>>744217
That's a good idea. I imagine the frostline is isn't very deep considering it's Nevada. But I'll look into it to be sure.

>>744252
>>744254
Haha, something like that. I look forward to seeing what the future holds for all us and doing my best to bring as many of us together as we can manage.

>>744317
>did you have to get any permits or anything to convert private land into a campground?

Nope. I did a lot of research before the bought the property. I hosted a NuggetFest /k/meetup in Nevada and afterwards I drove north to explore the property first hand. I also spent a few days talking to the locals and asking the city clerk's office and local Sheriff's department a variety of questions.

One of the big perks of the property is that the county it resides in has no zoning codes. (the original property I had been eyeing had a LOT of zoning codes so the locals helped me make an informed decision and switch) I can literally do anything with the 80 acres I wish (within the normal confines of the law.) and do not need to seek additional zoning certifications, building permits, or seek other permissions. The only exception is when I put in sewage/septic I will need to coordinate with the Nevada board of health. Besides that, we're free to do as desired. I do have an experienced contractor on board helping me with every step of the way so the buildings will still be up to code and standards, I just don't have to worry about the bureaucratic paperwork.
>>
>>744254
What other boards are on board?
>>
File: you are alright.gif (627KB, 268x185px) Image search: [Google]
you are alright.gif
627KB, 268x185px
>>732060
Looks like this thread has tapered off. If this thread 404s, I'd like to thank everyone that's offered suggestions and ideas, it's been greatly appreciated.
>>
>>746386
Thanks, will definitely turn up one day to either Nuggetfest of Arkadia. The roadtrips planned sound amazing.

Hell, reading up on this thread I actually think that maybe desert life wouldn't be too bad especially if the land prices are similar to what you paid for.
>>
Hey uh, what if you're... underageb&? Still want to work on the /K/ompound, but what would be your view on that? just a year under, nothing crazy.
>>
>>746396
Mogrizz fuck off and stay fucked.
>>
>>736081
i think they are referring to that time there was a /k/ meetup and someone brought brownies with jizz in them.
>>
>>746414
I don't think that's the joke he meant. >>740727 though that Georgia meetup guy did a good job of making some gullible people think that happened.

>>746392
Looking forward to seeing you down the road friend. I've a always had an appreciation of the desert since I was young. Fallout New Vegas was a reawakening for me, but being in Afghanistan is what had really given me a sense of homesickness for the desert.

>>746396
NuggetFest and Arkadia Ranch are 18 and up events, only. Best thing I can say is be patient. Spend your summers working. Gain as many "trade skills" as you can. General construction, minor framing, putting up drywall, working with concrete, repairing walls with putty, basic electrical work, using power tools, drills, saws, etc. Those skills will increase what you can do to help us down the road and more importantly will be useful for you through out your life.

Get in the habit of saving your money too. The older you get the more you'll see the need for a savings for when unexpected shit comes up. But most of all, don't lose your motivation in life. Patience is a pain to have, but if you lose your motivation you lose everything that that gives you the power to do anything in life.

If you want to help out in a few years after you're older, we'll have a place for you. If not, that's fine and I hope my unsolicited advice helped.
>>
>>746386

Hope it works out for you anon. Make sure you keep us updated
>>
>>732060

I'm not even joking, build a /k/-bunker-earthship kind of thing with cisterns and everything. You'll be literally off the grid and it'll cost you around 10k, depending on how much you want to work yourself.
>>
>>732662
>>732808

lol I can only imagine a group of /k/ommandos jacked on cum muffins and PCP spiced whiskey causing mayhem by shooting everyone in sight riding naked on ATVs through the campground and praising the murdercube.
>>
>>733460

Build an airstrip so Trevor Phillips Enterprise can move meth and guns from your land.
>>
>>735526

Do it afghan style

>get camels
>collect camel shit
>throw camel shit against wall
>let dry
>take off
>burn

There, you just fixed your firewood problem. Also keeps off flies.
>>
>>747213
Thanks man. I'll be sure to keep /out/ in the loop.

>>747392
That's....not a bad idea.

>>747418
kek, we're actually a lot more "normal" (sort of) than that.

>>747426
That took me a moment to get the joke but it made me actually laugh out loud. Thanks.
>I need to finish that game's final heist some day

>>747428
Lol, I think I'll stick to cutting firewood. If I ever got camels they'd be for riding...and eating. Camel Burgers are good, no joke.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>748101
If you ever have enough inept but well meaning people you can make earthbag barracks or even shooting stalls.

What I'm saying is that I am useless but would be happy to fill bags with dirt.
>>
>>748133
I think that's what the anon here >>747392 was saying when he said earthships, though it would be cheaper upfront to get bulk sandbags if he has means to haul a bunch of tires it would be a lot easier given every bag doesn't need to be individually filled and the tires would give structure without tamping. Though if there was someone mechanically inclined it wouldn't be hard to rig up an automatic sandbag filler.

Also it can be burned to make smoke screens when the ATF inevitably raids and they need to fall back to an abandoned oilrig and create a heaven and a hell, an Outer Heaven.
>>
>>744419
If you play with elevation right you can make a colletion system and an underground tank system gravity fed.

If you could find an anon handy with Arduino you could even set irrigation to be automatic if you want to plant some trees or a garden.
>>
>>748133
I'd be down for a kill house.
>>
80 acres makes a ranch?
>>
>>748148

Not exactly, earthships are basically houses that are built into the earth, utilizing the mass as walls.
>>
>>748332
Being that there is no solid definition of ranch besides open area without much agricultural work (sometimes), yes.
>>
>>748133
>>748161
These are some ideas I could look into. Definitely up there on being resourceful and affordable.

>>748210
Eventually I would love to have at least one of those setup.

>>748332
*shrug* Best Ranch a 27yr old can buy and have paid off in 2yrs and still afford to build on. Also this >>748689
>>
Looks like this is page 10 finally. Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions sc/out/s
>>
>>751291
>page 10
>selfbumps
Nigga...

Anyway, there are a lot of fascinating research on growing plants in high salinity environments this seems a pretty okay video regarding what this guy did who managed to make a patch of Jordanian desert productive with a shit ton of mulch and rain catchments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1rKDXuZ8C0
>that subtle anger at the locals for not being able to follow instructions

Seems there might be something in a fungi that binds the salinity but I've not been able to find much info on it. As has been stated the local agriculture extension will help.
>>
>>751308
forgot to mention the area gets about 3 inches of water a year
>>
>>751308
Most just add gypsum to the soil to reduce alkinity, that's generally what messes up plants on salty soils. Carefully vetted drywall castoffs are a cheap way to go about it. Don't trust chink drywall.
>>
>>751308
>>751310
>>751343
Thanks for the link. I'm thinking about doing raised flower beds with topsoil and putting them in a greenhouse at first. That way I don't have to deal with the actual soil right away.
>>
>>747392
How big arw those inside?
Thread posts: 129
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.