[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Appalachian Trail

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: at-map.jpg (19KB, 290x271px) Image search: [Google]
at-map.jpg
19KB, 290x271px
Hi /out/

So my friend are I are both very novice hikers with no real experience besides casual trips that only last a few hours, and we both want to attempt a small part of the Appalachian Trail this summer.

We're thinking of departing on a Thursday or Friday in mid June, and finishing the hike on a Sunday, so it would only be 3 days at the most. We don't have any experience with hikes that last multiple days, so could anyone help us out with what gear to bring, how to prepare, and other tips. We're in North Jersey, so we're going to be sticking around that area.

Also, does anyone have stories from their time on the AT, or their first real hike?

Thank you all!
>>
3 days /out/ with no real experience?
I recommend you spend a night in your backyard or local woods to get a feel for it and make sure that what materials you have is enough to survive.
Other than just use your common sense.
>>
>>730695
Where do you live? If you live near Shenandoah, or MA; go habe some fun. But the rest of the AT is probably going to be too hard for you.
>>
>>730797

>3 days
>worried about survival

All you really need is water for 3 days. You won't starve to death.
>>
>>730889

we live in North Jersey, so we could feasibly go anywhere among the NJ/NY areas

>>731117

yeah, that's what I was thinking. I feel like even though we're beginners, 3 days isnt long enough for anything to really go wrong, and we're not extremely isolated from civilization just in case

everyone has to start somewhere, right?
>>
>>731331
An overnighter or two might be worth it so you at least kinda figure out your gear and test the limits.

Not a hiker or anything, but 3hrs to 3 days seems like a big jump.
>>
>>731331
Bruh. Went to school in North Jersey for four years. Shuttle cars and do 1-5 nights on the AT from Del Water Gap north to wherever. Pick up NJNYTC maps at campmor. Or go to harriman and make any loop you want. Or do a small loop in ramapo, or norvin green. There is literally a ton of easy backpacking within an hours drive of you. Everything in the area is pretty gentle anyway. good luck
>>
>>731334

>Everything in the area is pretty gentle anyway.

yeah, that's what I was thinking, start at the Water Gap and go up

>>731333

hmm yeah, maybe Thursday to Saturday would be better
>>
Pack light, bring the things you need, get AWOL's to the section you are hiking and go.
If you know how to eat food and stay on a trail you have nothing to be afraid of.

You are literally the only person holding you back.
>>
>>731339
Not even so much that (Thurs-Sat) but I think you guys should at least do an overnight somewhere that is a little uncomfortable after you get all your gear. Make sure you can work everything if the weather takes a turn. Maybe you will realize you don't need everything you were planning to bring. Or realize you will need something else that you didn't think of.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.