[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this infographic legit? Are really only 2 acres enough land

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: backyard_farm-810x2514.jpg (568KB, 810x2514px) Image search: [Google]
backyard_farm-810x2514.jpg
568KB, 810x2514px
Is this infographic legit? Are really only 2 acres enough land for one person to live comfy /out/ of the land?
>>
see
>>728230

for farming and gardening

answer is both yes and no
>>
>>728517
Using the French intensive method under the right circumstances and soil quality it is possible to be self sufficient on 1 acre of land. However sustenance farming is far to complicated to be condensed into a simple infographic.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nN5WdAhAU4
don't mind the gay video just look at the plants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0gGah_Olvc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR3tA5CJSM0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyudDsH9sug
>>
>>728517
I don't think an info graphic can teach how to live off of the land .... It's going to take actually trying it and getting the experience to do that
>>
A better question would be how many eggs or pounds of meat you would need, because the amount of space required for livestock varies by location, environment, climate, etc. I can also cut barrels in half and grow potatoes and shit in a green house year around with proper lighting. I need all of that land. I live on 20 acres and having gardens looks trashy in my opinion. A proper greenhouse looks more appealing.
>>
>>728583
looks?
>>
>>728561
Could reduce it even more with hydroponics.
>>
>>728813
Add lights and you could stack/shelf plant and get it under 1500 sq ft.
>>
>>728517
No it is not correct.

In an absolute mathematical sense it is indeed possible to get that much productivity out of 2 acres, but that depends on having consistently excellent growing conditions. There is a reason small scale localized agrarian societies have regularly mass migrated to avoid starvation: nature is unforgiving.

If it rains too much, you will starve. If it rains too little, you will starve. If blight comes, you will starve. If it is a particularly good season for any of a hundred variations of plant parasites. If there is a hail event. If it frosts late. If it frosts early. If there is flooding. If temperatures get too high for too long. Etc etc.

I own an 'organic' farm, have an enclosed seed house and 3 moveable high tunnels. The seed house can even be heated by a wood burner, and all of the beds can be watered from a well. The operation spans about 7 acres. Even in those fairly well controlled conditions I don't think I could live off the output, simply because it varies so much. When all if well I and the two people who work for me and all our CSA and market customers have plenty, but when conditions stack up against us output goes to shit.
>>
>>728878
>7 acres. Even in those fairly well controlled conditions I don't think I could live off the output
You must really suck at growing then. I provide more than 75% of my family's food from 1/2 acre. We buy meat and rice and dairy. Virtually everything else is grown here. Sure we occasionally grab something that won't grow here or I just dont care to grow but 7 acres and you can't live off it??? WOW!
>>
>>728517
Nah, this graphic is complete crap. And it even says as much but I guess nobody reads the fine print (you'll need grazing land for the goats and you'll be buying grain for animals).

I grew up on a hippie farm with hippie parents who attempted this (and failed). There is a reason we stopped being subsistence farmers in this country. It takes much more time and effort than people expect.

Especially when you can't quit your day job, because you still have to pay for the mortgage and property taxes. And heat for the winter. Its just not worth it in the end. Grow some peppers, tomatoes, maybe some beans. Leave the other stuff to the professionals.

Look at the Amish, they are mostly (but not completely) self reliant and they allocate way more than 1/2 acre per person.
>>
>>729277
>>728878
I'm a subsistence farmer. It is really easy, but you must change your diet and methods of farming. Modern diets are too tied to convenience foods from stores. Most people take that diet and apply it to their farming and it just doesn't turn out very well. The biggest mistake is meat. People eat way way way too much these days. Of course that's just one thing, but it is a big one for those who are not vegetarians.

Living off a couple acres is very doable, but not in the fashion as illustrated in that image. There's no companion planting, no crop rotation, pretty much nothing. It only does a very poor job of calculating a modern diet.
>>
>>729438
Know any good resources for subsitence farming. Shit's going to hit the fan sooner or later and I don't want to be in the city when it does
>>
>>729456
>Know any good resources for subsitence farming.

Not really. You have to develop it for yourself with your needs, philosophy, location, weather, local laws, etc. Basically, just google.

https://kat.cr/the-resilient-farm-and-homestead-ben-falk-t10229834.html
>>
>>728582

this

people seem to think living off the land is easy, it's a full time job and massive lifestyle adjustment. I'm more /out/ than 99% of people I know IRL but even I know if I had to live self sufficiently I'd want a good couple of years at least to learn what I'd need to know (getting plant to seed and so on) and a good wedge of cash to invest in tools/materials

from a real world point, most developed countries now have had self sustainable living bred out of them over the past 75 years- say 3 generations. It's sad really, thousands of years of learning, and skills lost so quickly
>>
>>728517
this infographic (like most) oversimplifies it nearly to the point that it is rendered invalid
>>
>>728956
>We buy meat and rice and dairy
you buy all your staples, yet somehow youre subsistence farming. ok, that makes sense
>>
>>728517
> One person to live
Yes.
> Comfy
No. You will be subsistence farming, dependent on the weather and the seasons. If your crops fail, your pigs get sick, or your chickens die, you will starve.
>>
>>728878
also a farmer, if u can't grow enough for you on 7 acres, maybe farming isnt for you bro
i do agree though that what makes the graph bullshit is the fact that it doesn't take risk into account.
>>
>>728956
You are either completely full of shit or really bad at math.
>>
>>729473
Mah nigga. Thanks for the link.
>>
>>731038
No math there. My garden is 1/2 acre. I grow 90% of the produce my family eats. I'm not sure what your post is supposed to mean.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.