[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rainforest General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

How high are the chances for an average European to survive some days in a (sub)tropical rainforest? Are the risk of getting lost really that big? Where should one go who wants to do some hiking on his own (or with a buddy); are Brasilia, Malaysia or Nepal good choices?

I always was very interested in the rainforest and since I'm going to go on a world tour, I think about spending some time there.
>>
bump out of interest
>>
>>728512
I think you'll have a harder time with wildlife than navigation. Theres some crazy shit in the rainforest.
>>
Southeastern/Southern Brazil is your best choice, if you have any experience /out/ without much equipment you will be fine, just watch where you sit and lay down, spiders and other poisonous critters love hiding under your stuff and old logs
>>
>>728591
I thought (besides some very rare leopards) the only wildlife that could be really dangerous are Sauropsidae/Reptiles like snakes or crocodiles? Especially when sleeping in a tent I wouldn't fear to get attacked by anything, or should I?
>>
>>728595
Okay I'll have that in mind! Why would you prefer Brazil instead of the Asian alternatives?
>>
File: 1458681717065.jpg (86KB, 633x738px) Image search: [Google]
1458681717065.jpg
86KB, 633x738px
>>728591
>>728596
Your biggest danger is just going to be disease, the jungle is host to life's most magnificent disease vector, mother fucking mosquitos. I caught malaria in panama and that shit wrecked me.
>>
>>728596
You forget spiders, mosquitoes, hogs, primates as well as poisonous plants though i dont know any of them
>>
Yeah, disease is the thing that puts me off the most. Hawaii is great since it doesn't have any mosquito-borne illnesses or parasites as far as I know, but the water has cryptosporidium which can kill you, so you have to boil everything.

OP can you ask a more specific question?
>>
>>728608
This might sound odd but I sort of want to catch malaria. For reasons which are...poetic. How bad is it really?
>>
>>728597
I live here near a forest, I've never been to Asia so I can't talk about it, I have never seen a tourist here in our woods so there might be something about here that is not as appealing to foreigners as other rainforests or maybe they just dont know we have forests outside of the Amazon
>>
File: sadcops.jpg (25KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
sadcops.jpg
25KB, 640x360px
>>728629
There's nothing poetic about it but funnily enough you aren't even the first person to ask me that with your phrasing almost word for word.

You basically feel hot for a whole half-second until your entire body feels like its freezing, Polar challenge freezing, and you start shivering so fucking hard your bones are basically humming non-stop and your teeth feel like their going to crack from chattering against each other so hard.

This can last for hours, an entire sleepless night even. You cant get to the bathroom without help and I'm always going to remember pissing all over myself clutching the door frame with the toilet right in front of me.

After that its just laying there in your own damp hot sweat, your body is exhausted and on fire. You want to sleep but everyones forcing you to eat and drink first. You end up throwing up most of it anyways. Keeps you alive though.

That pretty much continues until you finally get better. Best way to lose weight though.
>>
>>728674
Also you shit chocolate blood?
>>
If you're gonna get a malaria prophylactic, don't go with doxycyclin. I spent a little over a month in the Solomon Islands taking doxy and the sunlight sensitivity isn't fun.

I also got a pretty nasty foot infection and some co-workers got tropical ulcers, lost toenails and other shit like that. Keep your feet as dry as possible would be my advice.
>>
OP here, thank you guys for the replies!

In terms of Malaria, how high is the probability to get infected, when using repellents and wearing light-coloured, long sleeved clothes in the previously mentioned countries?

And then again: Would you either recommend Asian rainforests or South-American? The German Wikipedia speaks of both being areas with high Malaria risk (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/11/Malaria_distribution_%28de%29.png/1920px-Malaria_distribution_%28de%29.png)
>>
>>728626
Mosquito eat you alive still in the forests. By the end of a one month stay I had scratched my skin so raw I was polka-dotted white on my entire body.
>>
>>728732
>shit chocolate blood
dats dengue fever m8. Not as bad or as long as malaria but life threatening if untreated.
>>
>>728674

I'd rather shit my dick out my arse than go through that, family.
>>
>>728596
>I thought (besides some very rare leopards) the only wildlife that could be really dangerous are Sauropsidae/Reptiles like snakes or crocodiles?

You are naive....
The biggest concern with wildlife is the insects....
And there is no escaping them.
>>
>>728629
>This might sound odd but I sort of want to catch malaria.

What the fuck is wrong with you?
I hope your dream comes true.
>>
bruh if you want to do the rain forest but without the heat, diseases, and poverty, hit up the olympic peninsula. so fuckin based this time of year
>>
>>728674
Do you still get relapses? Were you on anti-malarial meds when you got it?
>>
>>728819
It really depends on what region you visit. I have been in areas that the CDC (USA disease agency) says have high levels of malaria present yet no one in my research group or locals has caught malaria over years of visiting. I would ask locals in the area to get a better idea of the situation there.

Long sleeves and pants are your best bet. Wear repellent on exposed areas (back of hands, neck) and it works out pretty well. Of course some people just attract mosquitoes more than others and no amount of repellent will do anything.
>>
>>728512
I'm just basing this off shows I've watched. concerns:
-dehydration and overheating due to humidity/sweating
-foot problems from boots being wet all the time
-insects/disease
-torrential rain
-disorientation because the jungle looks more or less the same with little view of topographic features available.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.