[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Want to buy a new knife, which of these is the better one?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: yoyoyoghurt.png (533KB, 864x600px) Image search: [Google]
yoyoyoghurt.png
533KB, 864x600px
>>
Neither
>>
bottom one gay as fuck
>>
I would go with the Buck. I feel that the materials used look like they are higher quality & I like the traditional look and function. Others might go with the BG. All personal preference.
>>
>>728075
I almost bought the Selkirk myself, ticked all my boxes and I'd trust Buck HT'd 420 over Gerber chinese mystery steel any day.
>>
>>728075
Buck
>>
File: walmart_giftcards.jpg (60KB, 830x300px) Image search: [Google]
walmart_giftcards.jpg
60KB, 830x300px
So I have a $100 giftcard to walmart and am in the position to get another $50 and am wondering if they have any quality knives there I should be looking at. I'm already going to be getting a Mora as a practice knife but I don't know when the next time I'll have another $150 to spend is so I'd like to dedicate it toward a good bushcraft knife while I can.
>>
File: 87139279.png (94KB, 225x221px) Image search: [Google]
87139279.png
94KB, 225x221px
Mora
>>
>>728075
Is this a troll post OP?
Be honest.
>>
>>728400
I still think one of those Ontario RATs and a nice sharpening system would be the way to go.
>>
>>728427
I will agree. I think I saw this post in another thread, but anyways go to the website and Walmart has pretty much everything. RAT 5 and a Sharpmaker is what I would do.
>>
>>728449
Exactly what I was thinking.
>>
>>728075
post in knife general fucknugget
>>
>>728474
I tried looking for the knoife general but didn't see it
>>
>>728478
There's always fucking 3 of them because they are retarded and make a new one when the first one drops to page 2.
>>
>>728492
calm down Stephen
>>
File: image.jpg (206KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
206KB, 640x1136px
>>728499
No
>>
>>728499
>>728075
yall just got BTFO by anon above me lel
>>
>>728449
>>728427
I'm 100% going with the Sharpmaker. :)
I'm not sure about Ontario knives though; I'm not a big fan of carbon steels because I live where it is wet so Stainless would be much better.
>>
>>728528
Some of those Bokers looked nice. They had a handful of Ka-Bars too. Or if you see a nice Condor.

I'm still amazed they carried all those brands. I thought it would just be a couple Gerbers and Bucks.
>>
File: image.jpg (88KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88KB, 640x1136px
>>728528
>>728536
1095 Cro-Van? Is that Carbon?

Either way with the coating and a little care, you will probably be ok if you do end up with carbon steel. Doesn't seem to be a problem for others unless they really neglect them.
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 640x1136px
>>728539
Same steel, a little shorter
>>
>>728539
Cro-van is short for chromium and vanadium, it's in addition to the typical 1095 formulation. So you get some additional corrosion resistance, and the vanadium aides in carbide formation, basically adding some wear resistance and making the blade hold an edge longer.

No reason to fear carbon blades, think of how many 3rd world countries use these tools every day and do just fine in humid climates. Becker makes some of the best blade designs and by every measure Ka-Bar does a phenomenal heat treat, you can't go wrong.
>>
>>728075
I have the bear knife, its very nice and can multitask quite well, fingergrove leta you do finer work and its good for batoning chopping and cutting, decent sharpener on the back sheath and firestarter and whistle. But its so heavy man, i never take it out with me because i think its too much weight to have on my belt. If you do alot of heavy duty work when out then the bear knife is a good buy, but i almost always get away with using my mora that weighs 3 times less than that slab of metal.
>>
>>728539

Don't get the bk2, its too thick and heavy, if you go with a Becker the bk10, bk16 or bk17 would be better
>>
>>728588
I posted that one as well >>728543

But I'm not the dude with the gift card, I have just been linking stuff for him the past couple days. He originally said he wanted a 5"-8" blade and I don't think je realizes how fuckhueg that would be. Somebody else mentioned it though and biggest he should go is like the RAT5, RAT7 would be way too big. BK17 looks real gud though and I don't think the carbon steel will be nearly as big of an issue as he thinks. Especially if he gets a nice Ka-Bar or Ontario.
>>
>>728075
Just get what you want Anon.

For me, the BG stuff is gimmicky but okay. I probably wouldn't use one unless it was a gift.
A nice compact buck is reliable, easy and good looking too. I'd rather have that on my side.
>>
What is the best angle when sharpening?
>>
Never buy a knife that's not full tang. BG and gerber asek isn't full tang.
>>
>>729709
>le reddit full tang maymay
>>
hey, Have any of you ordered a knife from Lester River Bushcraft? If so how was it? I'm thinking of giving them an order.

Link related: http://lrbushcraft.com/html/about_lester_river_bushcraft_-.html
>>
>>730172
Thank god we have 10 knife threads so anon can shill in and bump each one
>>
File: out.jpg (253KB, 1401x447px) Image search: [Google]
out.jpg
253KB, 1401x447px
>>730176
>Thank god we have 10 knife threads so anon can shill in and bump each one

We need more knife threads!

#knifethreadsmatter
>>
>>730172
Dunno about them. I'm curious about http://www.gfredasbell.com/index.php
>>
>>730183
I got u
>>730195
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.