[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cheap Arrowheads

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 20160329_130910.jpg (3MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
20160329_130910.jpg
3MB, 4608x2592px
>buy $1 Chinese produced shears
>remove blades
>layer them like pic

Would they hold up to hunting?
>>
>>725491
>buy arrowhead
>????
>profit
>>
>>725496
Where the fuck do you find arrowheads for $1?
>>
Just sharpen a stick or make your own with flint for larger game. Steel arrow heads are a meme created by corporations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qiqmzZk0j0
>>
>>725491
>Would they hold up to hunting?

Of course.
>>
>>725511
Not exactly a scientific experiment. First off, what are you trying to prove? That antique stone works better than antique steel? He's not using a modern arrow, so it's not fair to generalize his conclusions to modern arrows.

Second, he's got three stone arrows, and one steel arrow.

Third, it's not just penetration, but damage to an area that will cause the deer to bleed out faster that determines which is more effective in hunting. Therefore, you might actually do better with a much shallower wound, if it's in the right place, and it's wide enough.

He doesn't even test the penetration at different distances. That might make a huge difference, as would different types of stone vs. different steel alloys.
>>
>>725937
Bass Pro Shop pls go I don't want your modern arrows
>>
>>726047
Not that guy but you don't have to buy modern arrows. Just don't force your opinion on others simply because you don't want to consider alternatives
>>
>>726057
Cabelas pls leave
>>
>>725491

>hold up

Uh, as long as you're hitting animals, yes. Animals aren't made of stone.
>>
>>725511

Arrow weight + arrowhead sharpness = best penetration for a given speed

Steel tends to be the best for sharp + durability.
>>
>>725491
Yes, but I imagine that's going to be several times heavier than a real arrowhead.
>>
>>725491
Just use only one shear for each arrow and sharpen the other side. It will be just fine for killing things
>>
>>725491

There're a few sides to this. One is how you're planning to get it onto an arrow - you're not getting that into the insert on a carbon or aluminium shaft, so that means wood shafts and cutting a slot to insert the tang into.

Wooden arrows means it can't be shot out of a compound. You could shoot it out of a trad bow, but you'll need to get arrow spine right on - you need to know how much these things weigh in grains and calculate required spine based on your arrow/draw length, centre-cut on the bow, etc. You then need to cut shafts with straight grain at the correct spine.

You'll also want to spin test them and make sure you've put them in straight, otherwise you'll get inconsistent flight between your arrows (which will probably happen to a degree with wooden shafts anyway, but misaligned broad heads planing in flight will fuck with it more).

I've got no idea about the quality of these things or how firmly they've been stuck together, so how they'd stand up to hitting a rib or shoulder blade could be questionable.

Ultimately it's probably not a fantastic idea. I'd personally shoot carbons with screw-in broad heads. Gold tip shafts are pretty good and not all that expensive and you can find broad heads for $5 a piece or so - it is a more expensive arrow, but it'll fly straighter with more consistency between arrows, be easier to tune and have a more reliable blade on the end.
>>
Amazon sells packs of 12 broadheads for $12, and 12 point-tip arrowheads for $6.

There's not really any money to be saved unless say, you've got free access to a CNC plasma/laser cutting table and are making them out of waste metal.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.