[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 53

File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
#21- "Shitposting at the Lake" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>723319

Pics of ded snake incoming
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This fucker almost got away from me in the grass too and I don't think I have ever tried so hard to make sure a fish doesn't get back into the lake.

>inb4 bowfin aren't invaisive
>>
>>724941
Doesnt look like a ded snek to me
>>
>>724941
das anminal cruetly you scum
>>
Is .012 diameter 10lb test mono enough to scare off line-shy trout?
>>
Any other fishermen live in Chicago? I usually do my fishing in Michigan (the state), but I'm looking to get more into some local fishing in the Chicago River and Michigan (the lake). Know any good spots or tips for general urban fishing?

No, I'm not eating anything out of the Chicago River. Just want some semi-/out/ activities to pass the time in the city.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>724966
One of my buddies was at Montrose Harbor the other night. He says when the weather is right he will do pretty good with steelhead or whatever they got there. I did most of my fishing in the suburbs tho.

>>724955
He ded.

>>724957
Nah, pic related is animal cruelty caused by sneks. I almost wish I had something real to feed him. That bass is a day or two from starving.

I saw a huge snekhed right after I got that first one. I want to catch it so bad and dispatch it.
>>
How snag-prone are mepps? Drawing 3 forward-facing prongs through the water seems risky.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
Got back from the Central Valley. Wasn't there for fishing, but I found a creek access point and pulled out a few hardhead minnow on micro gear. (Or are they juvenile pikeminnow?). Pretty good day.
>>
>>724966
>>724966
Speakin of Chickagoo, how hard is it to get from O'hare int'l to Montrose beach or whatever is the beach directly east of Ohare.
Otherwise is there anything worth hustling to see on a medium long flight layover. (4+ hours)

Fishing related, im out until my reel gets here. Friend in germany should have it by the 30th, then forward it to me.
>>
>>724994
Probably equally risky as any diving rapala.
>>
>>724941
by the way the trout in the last thread are super common in Florida pepsi, they're seatrout.

Shitposting aside, you should try to fish salt more, especially biscayne bay, everglades etc. You're missing out on a lot of great fishing.
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Fuckin Fluke made me buy these Snek magnets.

>>724994
Mepps Agila actually run fairly shallow as long as you retrieve with some speed. Especially smaller sizes like #1 and #2. Probably <3' with a medium retrieve.

>>725001
Might not be worth it. Cab would be a bitch. You could take the "L" but you would have to tale the Blue Line from O'Hare all the way down to the Loop and then transfer to the Red Line and go up north to Montrose. Then either walk a couple miles or catch a bus to the beach. Would end up being like 2hrs.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Wtf is this fish it doesn't look like a regular snakehead and it has millions of tiny sharp teeth

Caught in Florida, el rio canal
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Fuggin snek has knife thru his head for 5min and is still alive. It's amazing how boney their skulls are.

>>725009
Plecostomus AKA Sailfin Catfish. Invaisive and mostly eat algae and plants.

What did you catch him on?
>>
>>724994
Like all treble-equipped inline spinners, they are very effective at clearing away underwater weeds from your favorite fishing areas.
>>
>>725016
So you're saying fishing treble spinners is a public service? Great!
>>725008
Are sneks decent sport fish, at least? Are they fun to catch or are they just 100% pure nuisance?
>>
>>725019
It is, and you should feel good that you are doing your part to clean up our lakes and rivers when fishing with them.
>>
>>725013
Cut that shit in half or gut it or some shit.
Knock it out with a rock/bat.

>>725008
Peps knows chickagoo?
Damn senpai. Well keep in mind i dont have an issue with walking long ways. I explored my nations capital all on foot. Must have done at least 15 clicks that day.
Just looking at what i might do. Chickagoo, JFK NYC, or Hartsfield in ATL.
Either way i have a 4+ hour layover. Just a matter of what town lol
>>
It's not a sailfin the fish is a predator and looks kinda like a snakehead but it's not I have looked online so so much and can't find it. It has so many sharp teeth but in the pic it's jaw is ripped. I caught it on a saltwater rapala plug
>>
>>725019

>Are sneks decent sport fish, at least? Are they fun to catch or are they just 100% pure nuisance?

I mean, that's kind of subjective. I have fun catching any fish that isn't undersized for my gear.
>>
>>725013

>Plecostomus AKA Sailfin Catfish. Invaisive and mostly eat algae and plants.

Really dude? That mouth looks like a sucker to you?
>>
File: IMG_20160328_190939223.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160328_190939223.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
Had a good sale of clearance at my local Walmart. Scored the mepps for $2.67 and the striper swiper for $5
>>
>>725009
That's a snakehead.

It looks like something took a chunk out of its dorsal fin up front, but everything else about it just screams snakehead.
>>
File: IMG_20160328_193959546.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160328_193959546.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
Pepsifag pls buy me a spool of 10-15 lb power pro and an meps
Spooling cheap memecaster and don't know what I should put on it
Use the rest of my 10 lb braid and leave my new spinning reel without line?
8 lb mono?
20 lb mono ?
Last of my 55 lb braid?
I'd gladly use my 10 lb braid if I knew I would have more soon,
I would buy it myself but I literally have $3 until next weekend
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>725032
>>725027
Sorry, iPhone. I partially assumed because those things take over some of the FL canals.

>>725025
Yes, I do know Chicago. I lived by O'Hare for 23 years. And I chopped snek's full head off.

>>725019
They actually are pretty good sport fish. If you ask anybody who catches them, they will agree. They chase lures and hit them hard and then put up a decent fight. They are some strong fish too.

>>725043
Maybe I need to take a better look. Fuckin iPhone.

>>725048
You killin me. I'm broke too, wasted way too much money over the past 4-5 months and got bills to pay.
>>
>>725055
P-please? I need line on my memecaster, and I need line on my spinning reel, and I can't run mono on memecaster because it develops wicked memory
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>725009
Snakehead do have millions of sharp tiny teeth. I tried looking at it a little closer. It just looks a lil darker and dirty compared to what I get but it seems like they do get darker once they have been dead for a minute and it's harder to see the colors.

Does it have the bright orange and black egg spot on its tail? Those may fade quickly too once they die. Otherwise they have those black and white diamond shaped spots on their side, like 5 little packs of spots. Head does look like a snakehead.

Unless it is a northern snakehead. They have totally different colors compared to the Bullseyes found in South Florida.
>>
>>725048
Whatever you have the most of.
>>
>>725060
I have the most 8 lb mono, but I wanted this to have 10-15 lb braid on it so I could throw frogs into lillypads etc
>>
>>725062
8lb mono will be fine for now, then you can upgrade later when you have the cash.
>>
What's a good braid to braid knot, I'm going to spool my memecaster with 20 lb braid (just found some ) but I don't think I have enough so I'm going to out on some 55 lb braid backing , just in case
>>
File: image.jpg (69KB, 750x219px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 750x219px
>>725009
>>725059
Pic related is the Northern Snakehead that they have trouble with in the NE.

>>725062
Just spool the 8lb mono for now. I think Dick's has a sale on PowerPro right now too. Ordering shit like that online sucks though because of shipping. When I got that spool for Skid and the Mepps, it sas $50.
>>
>>724959
yeppers I go 6# max when targeting trout.
>>
>>725071
I always just do the Uni-Uni because I can tie them nice. Besides that you could do the FG or Albright, but one of them is stupid complicated.

How much #20 do you have? I would probably spool the #8 as a long backing instead unless you don't care that the #55 is going to take up a bunch of the spool with not much distance.
>>
>>725036
>striper swiper
me likey....
>>
>>725076
55 lb braid is supposedly close to 12 lb mono, ID rather the backing be the same or heavier then the main line just if/when I go out in saltwater fishing deep

For backing I'm either considering 55 lb braid or 20 lb mono , though I'm worried if I do braid I will have slippage issues
>>
>>725082
I'm thinking just enough mono to cover the spool, then 55 lb braid for a bit then 20 lb braid
>>
>>725082
Just do the electrical tape or if the spool has holes in in it, I always tie it through those.

55lb braid is probably closer to 15lb mono in diameter btw. I was gonna say if you have at least like 70yds of 20lb braid, you might as well just do the 8lb mono as a backing since you will never get to it with bass fishing anyway. But if you do saltwater it might be different.
>>
File: 20160328_115130.jpg (5MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160328_115130.jpg
5MB, 4128x2322px
Little flathead I caught yesterday, hoping to catch one over a metre next summer.
>>
Its not a bullseye it didnt have spot on its tail
ive caught snakehead in el rio before and none of them look like this guy he had a bit of red on his tail and he had like a greenish color like a peacock bass but was mixed with brown and black little spots. he had spots on the fins too. If its a snake head i've never seen a snakehead like it before
>>
>>725080
best popper I have ever used.

first time I saw this brand in mackerel colour, only one in the store I could find. I usually use blue and white.
>>
>>725143
You ever have luck with torpedo type topwater lures with props and shit on them? How do you normally run em? Just a slow, steady return?
>>
File: image.jpg (335KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
335KB, 640x1136px
I've been trying to use different lures and I've been messin with swimbaits. I caught a decent bass and a crappie on it, but I also got lots of bites. Are you suppose to set the hook on a swimbait or do you just keep reeling and hope the fish is hooked?
>>
>>725177
I set the hook
>>
>>725177
Depends how they hit them. When I feel a bite, I try to let it drop for a second and then give it a little set once the fish has it in its mouth. Sometimes if they bite it while I'm dropping it, it will kinda set it by itstelf when I jerk it up again and I just notice a fish is on all of a sudden.

I guess it's a lil different with the braid though since it doesn't stretch like mono. If you try and set it hard like a bit fish on mono, you will rip the hook right out of the fish's mouth.

Not a bad largemouth btw.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-28-22-30-04.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-28-22-30-04.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
You all got some fancy ass fishing equipment... 5 dollars for a single bait?!
>>
>>725187
The fuck did you make that blade out of?

One thing I do kinda make is the Carolina rigs. I have a ton of small glass beads and some lil props and shit if I needed them but I normally run Texas rigs anyway.
>>
>>725181
>>725184
Alrighty. I just play around with them some more. I think most of the bites were from crappie. Imma take the ultra light tomorrow to catch some. Might try the baby turtles since the water is calm now.
>>
>>725188
Speaking of texas rigs, have you been having any luck with worms down by you? Remember a lil while back you were complaining they weren't working that well for you
>>
Swivels are mandatory for inline spinners, right?
>>
>>725188
>beads
I just carve down a wooden dowel to the thickness I want the bead, then cut them off with either a coping saw or dovetail saw. then I have a little drillbit I made out of a bicycle spoke to drill the tiny holes.
>Clevis
Just some flower tying wire, steel wire coated in zinc.
>main body wire
just some stainless steel, its stiffer then the regular steel stuff. but a lot harder to form.
>the blade
16.9 oz sprite bottle bottom [the rounded bit at the bottom] just cut into a blade shape. with the good ol' mark V aluminum foil super glued on to it..
>string in the back
just some embroidery thread
>feathers
cheap Walmart craft feathers
>hook
hook? I think its a #6 or so.
>>
>>725191
I do have a hard time on the paddle tail flukes and shit sometimes when it comes to getting a good set. If the fish hits it hard while I'm swimming it and takes it the first bite, it often hooks them on the edge and there's nothing I can do to get a better set. But if I feel a little bite first, I will let it drop and wait for the fish to basically swallow it before I set it and that's when I'm guaranteed to land it.

>>725192
Nah not a ton. I was running a crawdad a little today and the Mayans loved it but were way too small to get the whole thing in their mouth.
>>
>>725199
I thought it was something like a soda can.

>>725196
I've never had a problem running them without a swivel. But I have never had an issue with line twist before with any lures or any line. Just never really noticed it.
>>
>>725163
drag prop lures fairly slow. It puts out that "I'm an injured" whatever.
>>
>>725196
>>725205
And I would go so far as to say I prefer running inlines without a swivel. I use a snap swivel a lot of the time and on really long casts or windy days, the swivel and line likes to get caught up in the blade and mess up the action. Doesn't do it nearly as much with no swivel.

A little trick on the long casts is I stop the line from coming out just before the lure hits the water and it straightens everything out. Just gotta be careful of you are using a really heavy inline or weak line.
>>
>>725205
Nah normally I make blades/spoons out of pennies but I ran out of polishing compound finally and if you think I'm too cheap to buy fishing baits.... lmao

You know those guys always "borrowing" cigarettes?.. Or always asking for a ride?

I'm the guy you take fishing, and will bring his small bag of tackle. and end up using your shit the whole time...

I swear im not a jew either.
>>
>>725201
Try just a curly tailed worm, how are you fishing them? They're my go-to down everywhere I bass fish.
>>
>>725217
WTF does that all mean? Srsly, I don't understand a word of it and I'm an honorary Jew.
>>
>>725218
I just let em drop to the bottom and give them little ~1'-2' pops across the bottom every couple seconds.
>>
>>725220
What parts confusing you?

>>725223
and if you're just targeting bass. use the rubber zoom. "swimmin super fluke jr. watermeloooon red.

>captcha fish
>>
>>725226
I've got a bunch of those flukes. Run em with jigheads or waited hooks. He is talking about Texas rigs and worms and crawdads. I have gotten a bite or two on the lizards like that too.
>>
>>725226
white is also a great color for the 4 inch swimmin fluker jr
>>
>>725228
Yeah. I run those with 1/16 oz bullets on 10lb mono. Never tried jigheads. but I typically am not any good with jigs waited in the face anyway. never seem to catch anything and always end up running them into lily pads and other greenery.

>>725236
Idk what all the colors ive ever used.. I've used a white colored one that had sorta a shinyblue on the underside. [not sure the color code] and that worked good.

I've used a red with a dark watermelon green color up top that works good

I've used some really fruity "MERICA" ones that where red white and blue with speckles of red white and blue. that worked surprisingly.
>>
>>725237
>red with a dark watermelon green
I have some Ron-Z's in that color way that work really well for stripers. Also got a few slug-go's in that color too.
>>
>>725236
I've got a bunch of different colors of Zoom and other flukes around that size. I have some white Gulp curly tail minnows and a handful of more natural paddle tail ones with some sparkle shit in them. I got some Strike King KVD ones I need to try too.

I've really been digging those Storm and Tsunami lures in really clear water. They are fairly detailed and have some weight to em so it is easy to cast them across little lakes and ponds.
>>
>>725223
huh. I use junebug zoom curly tailed worms in stained water and watermelon in clearer water. I've been killing it for like 8 years that way. Where are you casting the worms? I always try to get it in the thickest shit I can manage.
>>
>>725237
>>725239
i like white because if you run it close to the surface or in shallow water you can ALWAYS see it ands see the strikes
>>
>>725240
I've been trying to run the crawdads kinda along the weeds or through some lilles and I have gotten some hits that way. I always feel weird tossing them into real heavy grass and everything because seems like they still somehow get shit caught.

I have one lake with some good weedy spots where I need to mess with them more. Also try some worns. I have been playing with lizards and crawdads a little but not much as far as worms. I also bought all those jigs a month or two ago and have just been running Texas rigs unless the bottom is fairly clear.
>>
>>725243
My buddy does this more than I do, but I can vouch for it working. Reel the lizards in weightless or with as little weight as possible so they ride the top of the water kind of like a horny toad or a buzzbait. We used to kill it that way in thicker cover.

Worms>anything else for bottom fishing but thats just my .02. I'll see if I can find a video or two on the 'tube that kinda backs up my doctrine on worm fishing.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>725237
>>725238
Whenever we talk about flukes, I always need to mention the GOAT jigheads with the little spinners on em. I still need to order some bigger 1/4oz and 3/8oz ones for a reasonable price.
>>
>>725248
Yeah I think I'm straight on the technique but not hitting the right cover.

And I gotta toss some weightless lizards. The closest I ever came to hooking a peacock was on a Texas rigged lizard. I pulled it up over some lillies and dropped it into the water right off one of the pads. Peacock went crazy but spit it out before I could hook him. Water was clear enough to see it all. I kept trying to replicate it and I think it would work much better weightless.
>>
>>725253
try rapid twitching with short pauses and 1 long pause per retrieve rapid jigging and slow retrieve for 3-8 seconds then a half second to one second long pause,
>>
>>725253
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THYsvhsfo5c

This guy kinda irritates me but he fishes it the same exact way I do. He's fishing a straight tail which I've been using more lately but honestly I think they all work pretty good.
>>
how woud you guys fish a pond for bass that the entire bottom is grass,
>>
>>725274
How far up into the water column does the grass go?
>>
>>725275
i have 2 ponds like this, maybe 3 pond one is 10-15 ft deep at most , but most grass is 6-8 ft below surface, maybe less, pond 2 is 10 ft deep max and grass only half way up maybe? all the way up in some spots, pond3 is also less than 10 ft deep but grass is more patchy
>>
File: IMG_20160324_185749.jpg (4MB, 2952x3690px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160324_185749.jpg
4MB, 2952x3690px
Time to cool all you warm water guys down with some cold weather trout:
>>
File: IMG_20160321_230223.jpg (1010KB, 1707x1707px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160321_230223.jpg
1010KB, 1707x1707px
And a smaller, prettier one for good measure:
>>
>>725337
Cutie

>>725055
Sheeeit. The fuck you doin in flo rida then?
So basically L it, and hope you dont get lost because you dont have google maps in a foreign land.
>>
>>725336
quite a nice trout you got there, cant wait until a certain section of my river of mine to open for trout season, alot of big trout there
>>
>>725341
>>725055
Id just want to get to the lake to see it if anything.

RIPIP Snek
>>
>>725337
>>725336
those are some beautiful fish
>>
>>725354
you should see some of the survivor strain brown trout we had at the hatchery , all of them were very fat 2-5 lbs, we had lightning hit an underground pipe, and zap that pond once, pulled 20 something out dead , all beautiful fish if i get rehired maybe il try to get some pics
>>
File: dafish.png (5MB, 1905x1071px) Image search: [Google]
dafish.png
5MB, 1905x1071px
>>725363
>ill try to get some pics
I would very much like to see if you do.

Here is a short video from today; unexpectedly caught a nice brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWpMIV66iWc
>>
>>725341
>>725344
If you just want to get to the lakefront, you take the Blue Line straight to the Loop (Downtown) and either take a bus or start walking East. Prolly 30-40min on the L until you get downtown and then another 15min walking and you are over by Grant Park and right by the lake. The Museum Campus would be nice for somebody visiting. That's where everybody goes to take pics of the skyline from over by the Aquarium and Planetarium.

And if you are there overnight or something, you could always hop on the Red Line and go up north towards Wrigleyville and hang out at the gay bars on Halsted for a minute then go walk a block west and you are on Clark where all the popular bars are.

If you can rent a bicycle or something downtown, that would be really nice on an October day. Ride from the Museum Campus all the way up to Lakeview, Rogers Park or even Evanston and ride back down. The path along the lake is really nice plus lots of grills to look at if it is warm out.
>>
Woke up early, seen that Cabela's gift card number, ordered some lures for free, and now just debating if I want to go back to sleep or get out for that sunrise fishing.
>>
>>725444
And I got trips. I think I should go fishing this morning. It may be my lucky day.

Just not sure where to go. Lots of my weekends spots are by businesses so I'm afraid to go to them on a Tuesday morning.
>>
File: image.jpg (215KB, 1936x1452px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
215KB, 1936x1452px
Found a couple dressed Vibrax so I'm stoked on that. Also a Size 4 which Bass Pro didn't have and they should be better for largemouth.

I almost ordered a roll of PowerPro for that poorfag anon but it wouldn't have been worth it. A spool is ~$34, plus $9 shipping and it woulda been the whole gift card. Plus I would have to pay again to ship it to him.

I want to be on my way to the lake already but I'm stitting at home drinkin coffee and smokin cigs to try and drop a duece before I have to do it at some gas station bathroom. I think sunrise is closer to 7am anyway.
>>
>>725276
Shallow running cranks, rattletraps or inline spinners and run them over top of the weeds.
>>
>>725444
>both these past 2 times I've just barely missed the code
>both times you have gotten it
O-okay
Welp fuck it
>>
>>725481
The other time I got like $10 off of it. And the post was up for a lil bit before I saw it but nobody else knew it was a gift card.

And hey, I give back too. Must be sumn dat Karma. I've wasted quite a bit of money on anons between /o/ and thos board. I also once posted the code to a Visa gift card with like $15 on it.
>>
>>725482
But you won't but me powerpro
All good nigga
I know you give back
Il probay puck up another slool of stren braid soon
>>
>>725486
Niggas got rent to pay. Plus my mom just had a hip replacement so between taking time off work and doin a bunch of shopping for her, that has been expensive.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Not much goin on at that first lake. The canals over here always seem to be pretty active in fhe morning. Gonna go try those out a little bit.

Last week I was at one of the business park lakes closer to my house and dude who works over there was telling me about some lake that he used to get 6lb+ largemouth at a few years ago. I remember the general area and I'm thinkin about trying to find it on Google Maps and seeing if it is worth stopping by.
>>
Hey guys, how do you humanely kill fish once you catch them and intend on eating them?

I've heard something about putting them in ice immediately, or fresh water (or some mix of those?), but that might have just been about squid... And there's also just stabbing them through the brain? What would you guys recommend?
>>
>>725502
If you have ice around, tossing them on ice will def slow them down and eventually kill them.

Otherwise with the sneks I normally bash em in the head real quick to knock em out and then knoife right through the braid and spine. Slicing them somewhere along the gills is good for killing em fast and bleeding them out.
>>
>>725505
thanks pepsenpai
>>
>>725274
Run a spinner bait just above the the grass and cast a weedless frog on the thicker weeds or a popper if you dont need weedless. You can also rig a texas rig weed less and put a heavier weight and just hop through the grass.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>tfw shoulda bought a rod with that gift card.

Weedless Texas rigged crawdad got caught in some lillies. Go to wrap the braid around my hand with a towel and bent the rod at a shitty angle I guess. Oh well. Gotta stop by Bass Pro or Dick's later this morning.

Def not buying a spool of braid for anon now.
>>
>>725502
You can stab squid in the head at just the right spot, they die instantly. You can tell by their color.
There was even a japanese contraption for this kek.

Alternatively knock it out with a bat or something. I have a small aluminum Mustad baseball bat which is meant for this.

>>725438
Neato that helps if i stop at Ohare.
NYC would be rad as fuck, shame JFK is so far out of town.

>gay bars
I didnt know you swing that way... But then again trucking must get lonely...

>>725515
That shits the worst. I broke one of my Shimanos. Ordered the exact same one from Austria the next day.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
So my friends who are good with Texas rigs for bass: I found this new lake. Seems fairly undisturbed considering where I live so I'm sure there's big bass. There is a bunch of grass from the shore until like 6'-8' out, then it clears up, then it seems like between 20'-30' out there is more grass all the way under water. I am catching little strands with spinners and cranks so I'm guessing it's probably 3'-4' under the surface but no clue how deep it goes.

Does that sound like a good place to run worms or crawdads along the bottom through this grass?

>>725560
O'Hare is on the far NW side of the city too, but it's actually in the city unlike a lot of airports. And the "L" is fairly proficient. The Blue Line runs 24hrs a day and runs SE from O'Hare straight to Downtown and then goes straight west through the hood into Cicero and shit. But you get downtown, transfer to whatever line you need, and the L will almost always take you within walking distance of your destination. The trains run every 5-10min. Plus there are buses, cabs, Uber, and the Metra train if you need to get further out into the suburbs.
>>
Just got to Dick's. I wonder if they will have something good. I'm not gonna spend a lot, it's just for that Abu Cardinal SX reel. I'm thinking about another Lightning Rod Shock. Bass Pro has a huge selection so I will go there if Dick's doesn't have anything good. Only problem is those rods run $50 at Bass Pro and Walmart has em for $40 so gotta make them price match.
>>
>>725572
Yeah i google maps'd it. Same with Harstfield in Atlanta. Far out of the actual city. But there isnt much interesting in atlanta i guess...
Lake mich would be kick ass.
Im sure the L is pretty idiot proof as well. Just that im a complete peasant coming from a thir worl country.
>>
>>725560
The Japanese fish stabbing tool is called ikijime I think.
>>
I think I'm gonna do a Fenwick Eagle. The look nice and I have heard good things. $60. They have Shimano Sellus rods for $50 and those looked decent too.

I'm pissed because they had Abu Veritas rods on clearance for $75 and I would totally grab one of those. Then I realized it was only casting rods with the mini guides. That 7' Veracity is still sitting there for $119 too but idk if I want to drop that much.
>>
>>725581
>I'm not gonna spend a lot

Lol ok
>>
>>725604
Yep, it's the name of both the tool and the act of using it/doing it
>>
>>725608
Nah I tried to get out of there cheap. You know I was looking though.

I spent $30 at Bass Pro yesterday on a few lures. Then woke up to see that Cabela's gift card so ordered some random lures from there. I will be ok walking out of Dick's without buying more tackle.

There was a $10 rebate on that Fenwick rod too. So maybe one day I will mail that in and get a $10 check in 6 months. I can't stand mail-in rebates. Instant or nothing. Mail-in rebates do not influence my shopping one bit. I would've bought that rod anyway.
>>
>>725615
I could understand a mail in rebate on something expensive, but $10? I wouldn't deal with that nonsense either
>>
im new to this and im buying a spinning combo, if the reel says this:
8/240
10/200
12/160

what does it mean? that i need 240 yards of 8lbs line for it to work? can you fit 240 yards or whatever measurement it is in a spool?
>>
>>725617
What I really wanted to do was untie the little tag on the Abu Veritas with micro guides for $75 and switch it with the tag on the spinning rod. Or even better, put the $75 tag on the Veracity. Whatever though, this Eagle seems nice and itnwill match well with that reel.

Also if anybody is lookin at a new spinning reel, go to your local Dick's. They had a ton of different reels on clearance for good prices. Lots of low to mid range stuff. That Daiwa Excelcer is still on sale for $45 off of $90 too but is only 3500 and 4000 sizes.

I need to deal with this Pflueger President that I bought about a year ago and have barely used. It's a decent medium combo with a BPS rod and I put #30 Power Pro on it. I kinda want to put #20 on it but the rod is fairly stiff so I think it will be great for heavier lures. My main problem tho is for some reason I didn't want to spool it really full and need to add more line. I know it will cast much better if I do that. But I don't want a knot ~20yds into the spool. So I'm thinking about taking all the line off, the spooling a fresh 30yds from the beginning and tying the old line back on.
>>
>>725629
Yes, that's the like capacity. But they always seem a bit higher than what it really holds. If you were to put 240yds of 8lb monofilament it will probably be overflowing. At least every reel I have ever owned has been like that.
>>
>>725633
The line* capacity
>>
>>725633
so it also means that i can catch a fish up to 8 pounds?
>>
>>725635

I always think of that as an 'at least'. You can land much bigger fish than what the line is supposedly rated for.
>>
>>725635
Ehh, not necessarily. You could have a 5lb fish on 8lb line and if you are trying to pull it in through weeds or are fishing off a bridge or pier where you have to lift the fish out of the water a long way while it is fighting, the line could break.

On the other hand, you could get a 12lb catfish or carp on 8lb line and if you tire it out and can lift it out of the water by hand or with a net, you will be fine.

Also, the knot is normally the weakest point too so it may hold less than 8lbs. Especially as the line gets older. But as far as freshwater, 8lb line is good for all around pond and lake fishing where you are going for 3lb-4lb bass and the occaisional channel catfish as well. You could go 10lb if there are a lot of weeds.

Btw, 240yds is a lot of line for freshwater fishing, so 8lb is def the lower end of what you would want to use on that reel (assuming it's a spinning reel). You will be able to cast a little further, but could def go a little higher. If you can get 150yds of 10lb line on there, that is more than enough for lake fishing for bass, catfish, carp, walleye, etc.
>>
>>725647
yes i did plan for a 10 lbs line i was just using the 8 as an example. how do i know how much line is in the reel? im not measuring that shit.
>>
>>725649
The rule of thumb is to fill it up until you have about 1/8" left on the spool. If you do too little, it won't cast as far. Too much and you can get tangles while casting.

Make sure the knot holding the line onto the spool it tight. You can google "Arbor Knot" and use that to tie the line to the spool.
>>
>>725654
ye i did google that and i was going to use that one out of the 2 i found. the only question i couldnt google the asnwer to was the line, but i guess it makes sense at a glance, just wanted to be sure, thanks for the help.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>725649
>>725654
So basically with pic related, you want about 1/8" between the end of the line end the edge of the spool. It doesn't have to be exact.

And don't worry about trying to measure the like anyway. Like I said, it always seems to be quite a bit high. If the reel says 200yds of 10lb line, I doubt you will get more than 150yds-175yds on there.
>>
>>725649

How much is 'actually' on the reel, or just kinda eyeballing it? I run it over one of my measuring wheels from work, then tape marks at 50yd intervals about 200yd in but that's with giant trolling reels used for marlin and shit.

I wouldn't bother measuring with something you're going to be casting with though.
>>
>>725664
If I had to do something like that, I would buy some sort of line counter or get that depthfinder line and try to count it.

All I know is with spinning reels, I have tried to put a 150yd feeder spool full of line onto a reel that claims it holds 150yds, and it's not even close unless you want to overflow the reel. It seems like they over estimate it by around 20% in most cases. I know I'm not the only one who notices this.
>>
>>725019
From what I hear they're a great fight and taste pretty good too.
>>
>>725668

The wheel I use for survey stuff works fine, I just stick it in a vise and run the line over it.

And with spinning reel capacity estimates, I get the feeling that they put a shit load of tension on the line when spooling to get that number.
>>
>>725676
Oh I didn't realize you were talking about the survey wheel like that. That's a good idea.

And those line estimates have to be like perfectly level by machine, incredibly tight, and to the very edge of the spool. They are just so far off on spinning reels.
>>
>>725658
spool that thing all the way to the lip.
>>
>>725681
Fuck that. Although with the braid I'm sure I could go a bit more if I wanted to. When I had flouro on a reel, that was when I got the worst problems with knots from being too full. But flouro is really stiff.

I'm debating whether to tackle that other President and add more line now that I'm home. I def want to take the current line off and add another 30yds to the beginning of it then spool the old line back over it. I have only used that reel a handful of times so there's no way I'm going to toss all the line that's currently on there.
>>
>>725654
I do a double uni but that's just me.
>>
>>725688
have you tried adjusting your spool washers? You can set the spool so that the line lay is favored at the front of the lip, and have some space at the bottom of the spool. It seems to help with casting, and knots. I had a gnarly knot yesterday in the video I posted, which I think was due to operator error, but I'm sure if I had a few yards less of line on my spool it wouldn't have happened. I still have yet to adjust the washers on the reel, which I plan on doing today.
>>
>>725691
As long as it's tight, it doesn't matter. I don't do arbor knots, I just tie whatever I feel like. But everybody reccommends the arbor knot for tying on to the spool.

>>725695
I gotta remember that. I'm not too worried now but at least I know for the future. And that reel in the pic is pretty full anyway. It's probably just the close up and angle that makes it look real low.
>>
>>725515
>Pepsi talks about karma and how he's a good guy buying shit for people
> doesn't want to buy something for someone
>fish god punishes him by breaking rod

Nigga if you don't do something soon to fx your karma a snakeheadwill crawl up your ass when you aren't looking
>>
>>725143
what weight is that? I picked up a 1-1/4 oz. in blue & white and they also have 2oz

It's so nice today 50F but windy as fuck 33mph gusts, 17-20mph steady.
>>
>>725712
3 oz. I usually don't go lower than that for poppers. I have a few 5-8oz poppers too. If it's a pencil popper I'll usually go lower.

I do the skinner trick to my plugs too. I fill them with a bit of water to make them heavier.
>>
got $5 to spent at tackle wrehouse, what get?
>>
A good technique to keep line from bursting off the spool and knotting up is to run it under hot water for 5 mins. It allows the line to take the shape of the spool. Dont use super hot water. Hot enough to touch without burning yourself. Only works with mono and flouro though.
>>
>>725707
>pepsifag
>good guy

A few threads ago he was talking about getting a shoplifter to grab him a shimano symmetre so he could buy it off him.
>>
>>725722
>run it under hot water for 5 mins.

damn that is a good tip.
>>
>>725732
im going to be in some back bays of rhodes isand about 2 months from now and im hoping to get my first stripere to bite fishing spots will be limited basically to where im staying since other then at night im going to be busy as fuck what lures shouild i use etc
>>
>>725707
>>725730
Comes and goes. That rod was too sensitive for me anyway and I have been wanting to try the Fenwick.

I shoulda switched the price tags on those Veritas rods today though. That would be nice. And nigga can buy his own braid. This aint no free ride. If I win the lotto, I will buy everybody here braid. But until then I got bills to pay.

It's such a waste ordering line online anyway since shipping on a spool of line is 30%-50% of the cost.
>>
>>725736
You should be into some fish within the next week or so. Fish are being caught off Narragansett in CONN right now, so you should be seeing them soon.

check out John Skinner on youtube, he is an awesome resource if you are starting. Also Surf Casters Journal is really good resource. I usually fish with bucktails, ron-z rubbers, slug-go's [larger than you would think] balsa poppers 3oz-6oz, SP minnows, Bomber Long 7A pretty much any color will work.

Also if you are new to striper I recommend trying to fish with chunked bait the first few times, there is a really good video on Surf Casters Journal outlining the best techniques for this.

Basically you're in a grey zone, where striper will be targeting Mackerel, Herring, Podgy, and Alewife. So imitating those baitfish will work well.

Also imitating American Eels is deadly, you can fish them live, or dead rigged. I typically stick with Ron-Z's or Slug-go's and don't really fish with bait though.

You're in a good area for striper, as you will have an early season, and be able to catch the beginning and end of their migration.
>>
File: CD-Raps_IMG_0730.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
CD-Raps_IMG_0730.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>725008
>count down rapalas
Did I see you say you've never used these? They are my bread & butter, at least in water without weeds/obstructions.
>>
>>725336
>>725337
beautiful...
>>
File: fish1.png (62KB, 796x374px) Image search: [Google]
fish1.png
62KB, 796x374px
>>725743
im in central ct right now, and need to get to the river , apparentl people are seeing them run from their house on the river etc, im assuming when im going to be in rhodes island is after the innitia run so they may not be that thick, and the spot probably wont be ideal , ( pic related) il probably only be able to fish here after sunset or early morning etc , though last time i was there there was a striper sitting underneath the dock, who refused to bite anything
>>
File: fish2.png (735KB, 1051x539px) Image search: [Google]
fish2.png
735KB, 1051x539px
>>725743
>>725749
non depth map, i also dont have shit for saltwater gear
>>
File: IMG_20150618_221131504.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150618_221131504.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>725749
>only be able to fish here after sunset or early morning etc

best time to fish for them.

>>725750
>non depth map, i also dont have shit for saltwater gear

don't sweat it too much, my first few stripers were caught with a Rhino 7'7" shitty freshwater rod, with a shimano 4500 reel. lined with 17# mono. the fights were hard and shitty, but I still managed to catch them.

Hell, I've seen guys catch sturgeons at my local jetty with ultralight trout tackle while targeting mackerel. He fought the fish for over 30 minutes and had him unhooked and back in the water immediately.

Having the right tackle is crucial, but it isn't necessary. You'll probably be on schoolies at first since it's early in the season, but you can manage with freshwater gear.

I also forgot the mention

Wild Eye Storm Shad. it's absolutely required that you have some in your arsenal. They are fucking deadly.
>>
>>725753
will be using 7 ft medium rod, i also have a 7 ft much heavier boat rod il bring to throw some bait hopefully il be able to brind my kayak and go out to the small island since eveything between the shore and island is under 10 ft
>>
>>725755
>under 10 ft

not really a bad thing, some of my biggest stripers were hooked in less than 3-4 feet in the surf.
>>
>>725758
theres not much surf there though its relativity calm n tons of small bait, minnows etc
>>
>>725749
In 2 months they'll still be everywhere. Bigger'uns too. They will be wherever there is baitfish until the ocean temps get too warm for them, then they hunker down in deeper holes.
>>
>>725765
sounds good, last time i was there i got 4-5 fat ass porgies, and a snapper blue or two, though there was a striper sitting under the dock i was standing on , and would occationally peak out to take a look at my lure
>>
>>725765
>until the ocean temps get too warm for them, then they hunker down in deeper holes.

that's when they file suit into the rivers, marshes, and brackish to spawn.

Then they will head out to deep water.

Schoolies typically stay at the beaches and shores that they were born at for a year or so before they start their migration pattern.

Big stripers usually move behind the schools, they are more calculating, and slower.
>>
>>725769
goddamn namefag fuck up.

sorry.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-29-14-10-42.png (521KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-29-14-10-42.png
521KB, 1440x2560px
Tfw all the rest of this week an next.. Gotta waste my life doing something else now.
>>
>>725745
Original Floater, Husky Jerk, Countdown and X-Rap are GOAT rapalas.

It is a damn shame i cant get them in Rainbow Trout anymore.
>>
>>725793
I put back the rainbow to grab that goldish one. Last gold they had and there were 2 or 3 rainbows.
>>
File: newbaits.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
newbaits.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>725750
Rinse your shit after use and you wont have issues.
Make sure you do it thoroughly if you fish salt with freshwater gear more often.

>>725753
>wild eye storm shad
I think i picked up one just like that.
Daiwa Megaforce it was

>>725795
Old Husky Jerk 14 in RT was the most productive rapala my dad had for seabass, mackerel, or anything that was in the water at the time.

I didnt see them in years. Found them on ebay but the shipping makes it not worth my while. Maybe i pick em up when i visit the states.
>>
>>725797
Just realized it isnt in the pic...
>>
Think I'm going to go to a gravel pond to practice casting with memecaster
No trees no nothing , only downside is its windy as fuck today
>>
> go surf fishing
> try on swimbait and some hard minnow bait with no luck
> the tide is getting higher and surf get a bit rougher
> decide to put on the 1 oz kroc
> was using 8 lb mono, felt too lazy to tie on a shock leader
> cast distance is awesome
> by the 8th cast or so, heard a loud snap and my kroc flew out into the sea

I guess I'll go down to 3/4 when i get the new kroc
>>
Any southwestern CT anons know where I can fish striper?
>>
>>725572
that or a weedless super fluke, theyre probably waiting for baitfish to come over the grass ledge if that makes sense.
>>
>>725783
Central Florida fag?
>>
>>725719
1 dollar shipping
>>
>>725853
i dont see 1 dollar shipping, cheapest i see is 5 dollars
>>
>>725753
>17 pound mono
>Fights were long and shitty
Those are the battles I live for. A fish too big on gear too light on the end of a pier or side of a jetty, that's the best fishing
>>
>>725814
Also move up to 10 pound mono, that's the lightest I've ever gotten away with. >>725854
That's what I'm saying, you buy nothing with it and just pay off the shipping.
>>
>>725860
il grab 3 bucktais and only pay $5 or so , decent deel , maybe il get some hooks too
>>
does anyone know if the $5 gift code from lucky tackle box can be combined with ones from other months, like can i save up for 3-4 weeks then get something nice ish
>>
>>725871

Lol no, poorfag. You can only use one promo code at a time.
>>
>>725891
Look as Ms. Moneybags over here
>>
>>725783
>89F on April 1

Jesus christ how horrifying
>>
>>725849
Lmao yeah... I forgot to namefag for that one.
>>
>>725745
ive had very good luck with that top sinker
>>
>>725902
I cant tell if this is sarcasm or not.. Lol 89 is pretty cold desu.. It can easily hit 98 with like 80% humidity. You don't know youre dehydrated until your brain fails and you end face down ass up somewhere.
>>
>>725899

No, just not stingy and trying to get shit for nothing. If he can't afford the stuff that he wants then he shouldn't be shelling out 15$ a month for an LTB sub.
>>
File: image.jpg (72KB, 640x684px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 640x684px
I'm not liking this forecast. Warm up, damnit!
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 356x356px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 356x356px
>>725502
It's called a priest, so called because it delivers the last rites to the fish before its death.
Other people in other walks of life call it a billy club, and you can still get them most anywhere-truck stops, the saltwater fishing section of your local store, baseball stadiums during souvenir bat night, or wherever.
Just hit it in the head above the eyes and you'll stun the fish long enough for it to asphyxiate without a stuggle
>>
>>725912
$5 for the firtst month nigga
>>
>>725745
>water without weeds and obstructions
...and there's the rub.
Down where I'm at, ALL the water has weeds and obstructions. Especially weeds.
>>
>>725920

He specifically asked about saving up promo codes from multiple months. But yes, 5$ for one month is nice, That's all I did because I'd rather have the money to get shit that I actually know I want at my income.
>>
>>725928
do 5$ first box at one adress, then do $5 n first box at a familys address on a different credit card etc
>>
>>725912
Its normal to look for deals and bargains and loopholes.
>>
a few threads back someone posted a picture of a fish and most people seemed to agree on snakehead, can someone repost that picture? i think it may be something different
>>
>>725849
I just figured it out cuz "fox 35" at the bottom. Whereabouts in central florida? Don't have to be too specific, but you've got pepsi way south and myself in the Tampa area
>>
>>725907
hups...

>>725945
Was meant for you, masturbaiter
>>
>>725941
Somebody else thought it was a bowfin. But these are bullseye snakeheads. They both have a similar spot on their tail but completely different head shape and bowfin don't have the distinct black and white spots that bullseye snakeheads have.
>>
>>725948
post the picture dummy i didnt ask for oppinions i think it(could be ) someth ing completel different, i cant find the picture
>>
File: image.jpg (108KB, 599x530px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 599x530px
>>725948
>>725941
The snakehead in this pic is the one they have in the NE. The ones in FL have different coloring and the spot on the tail is why somebody thought it was a bowfin.
>>
>>725952
i need the picture the anon posted please i couldnt find it
>>
>>725941
>>725950
Nvm you're talking about the one in the last thread that I thought was a pleco at first. Just click the link to the last thread in the OP
>>
>>725955
i cant find the picture am i blund or dumb?
>>
>>725959
Idk, I swear it was the last thread and I didn't see it either. I went through the past 3 real quick and didn't see it.
>>
>>725963
i went through all of them aswell like 3 times each and cant find it, dont think its a snakehead or bowfin but i need to see the picture again to id it
>>
>>725963
also tell me some of the decent spots to fish in loxahatchee , i ma be visiting a friend and want to do some fishing
>>
>>725965
Damn, we're both retarded. It's in this thread, like the 6th post >>725009
>>
>>725973
>>725009
i believe it is what i thought , Bigmouth Sleeper, its in the goby family and relativity rare. coloration, fin shape, and head shape all match up
>>
>Brook trout in my small pond prefer senkos over spinners or other typical trout lures
wtf
>>
File: bms.jpg (239KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bms.jpg
239KB, 1024x768px
>>725973
>>725975
also pepsifriend buy me powerpro at cabelas and have them ship it to my local store, therefore you dont have to pay for shitting
>>
File: image.jpg (204KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
204KB, 1136x640px
>>725975
It does have that strange goby shape.

>>725968
Loxtahatchee is best with a boat. But I juat go wherever and if the fish are biting, you will get some bass or Mayans. You can see the bridge down the path to the west, and lots of people will go over there. I'll go right by the boat launches because I'm too lazy to walk. You can also go by that little dam right by the entrance. Or the canal that runs all the way along the road going there, there are a couple bridges where I have fished and gotten some bass.

This is the one closer to Boca and Parkland btw. There is another Loxtahatchee reserve a little further north by Delray.
>>
>>725979
Fuck that. I just had to buy a new rod today.

Dick's is cheaper anyway. Cabela's wants like $33 for a 300yd spool and it is only $27 at Dick's.
>>
File: image.jpg (146KB, 1250x832px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146KB, 1250x832px
Is there a benefit to using a fluke like pic related compared to the ones with the boot tail? The fish are being picky and I'm wondering if they might like the split tail ones better.
>>
>>725911
>Face down ass up
Now that's what I call... Hot?
>>
>>725986
Sometimes. These move side to side less. Sometimes its better to use something on a bobber to hold it in one spot if they are being shy. Gives them more time to strike if they are slow.
>>
>>725985
right now at cabellas its $32 for a 500 yard spool
>>
>>725991
My ass and balls are pretty hairy... But if you're into all that. Good for you.
>>
>>725986
I always seem to have better luck with the paddle tails. They seem to swim better for me too. The split tail ones will twist around and shit on me if they aren't rigged 100% perfectly.

I will still do split tails sometimes if the water is fairly clear and I think I can catch them on vision over vibration. But I mostly own the paddletails. I would rather use split tails as a trailer on a spinner or swim jig.
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 640x1136px
>>725994
Shit that's not bad. I was half asleep when I was on their website at 4:15am this morning. Their regular prices are still a lil more than Dick's but that's a good sale price on 500yds.

I'm still not buying it for you. Just reminds me I can't wait for that free shit to get here. Gift card anon is bretty cool.
>>
>>725986
I've only ever used the split-tail ones hooked with an octopus hook through the nose
>>
>>725999
<\3
>>
>>725995
Nobody likes puns do they
>>
File: image.jpg (88KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88KB, 640x1136px
>>726002
Man, you can buy a 150yd spool for <$20 if you just need to spool one reel.
>>
>>725978
Depending on how clear the water is, especially if it is sunny, spinner can actually scare the fish. I try to avoid big silver spinners on sunny days in clear water.

If it is a frequently fished spot, popular lures can be shitty to use too. Fish are pretty dumb, but if they have been hooked on spinners a ton of times before they might be hesitant to go for it again.
>>
>>726010
I honestly have 3$
Whoo
>>
>>726002
You shoulda been up early to catch the gift card code. I got lucky with that one. Especially since there were a few other anons being like "but what does this code do?"
>>
>>726014
Wait til payday nigga

Or buy $3 worth of lotto tickets
>>
>>726016
>>726021
I got to it just a few minutes after you did
Have to wait until next Friday to see if I'm needed at work
>>
File: image.jpg (205KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
205KB, 640x1136px
I wonder if it's worth trying to go out. It's getting dark, woulda gone earlier but it was storming real good. I still need to try out that new rod.
>>
File: tigerfaces.jpg (70KB, 235x215px) Image search: [Google]
tigerfaces.jpg
70KB, 235x215px
>he literally only fishes in freshwater when he's a short distance away from piers and the beach
>he has willingly cuhcked himself from catching some of the best fighting and tasting fish on earth
>>
>>726062
I know, I know.

If I knew how to fish with lures with some luck, I would totally do it. Or if I had a rich friend with a boat.
>>
>>726062
>this pleb has never eaten fresh Brook trout...

Salt water isn't the best tasting fish. Brook trout from fast, well oxygenated water is hands down the best.
>>
>>726069
9 out of 10 times the fish you catch from a pier is going to be really tasty, only a few freshwater fish are. Don't tell me you guys actually eat bass, bowfin and sneks.
>>
>>726073
I don't eat those. I only eat American Eel and Brookies from fresh. From salt I sna k on mackerel, pollock, haddock, striper, and my personal favorite, American SHAD.
>>
>>726073
Sneks are supposed to be quite tasty actually. But I don't eat much fish anyway. I haven't eaten a fish I caught in so many years.
>>
File: thatsit.jpg (85KB, 400x353px) Image search: [Google]
thatsit.jpg
85KB, 400x353px
>>726065
The only two lures you absolutely need when fishing at a florida pier are gotcha plugs and docs goofy jigs. With those two alone you can catch pompano, bluefish, spanish mackerels, moonfish, ladyfish and more.
>>
File: spanishmackerel.jpg (572KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
spanishmackerel.jpg
572KB, 1632x1224px
>>726081
Also, you can even use a lot of your freshwater gear. Crappie jigs and rat-l-traps work great.
>>
>>725812
>windy as fuck today
hell yeah it was, just got back from yakking, 33 MPH gusts, mid 40'sF
I'm kinda cold right now since I forgot my waders and went in shorts.
>>
Why do all of those poppers have a red head and white body? What food fish is colored like that?
>>
>>726081
I didn't even notice those jigs had two hooks when you posted the other pic.

I do have some shit that could be used for saltwater. A few smaller bucktails and I'm sure pretty much any silver or gold crankbait would work fine.
>>
>>726092
>red head
It looks like blood
>white body
Fish hate crackers
>>
>>726093
Bucktails will be perfect. Do you have any xraps? You can use those as well for spanish mackerels, bluefish and snook. Just make sure to rinse all your stuff off at the end of the day because saltwater rusts hooks fasters.
>>
>>726093
The pompano hits the little pink fly most of the time.
>>
>>725968
Do you mean the loxahatchee preserve or the loxahatchee where all the rednecks live in palm beach? If you're in that area then I'd suggest you check out corbett area. A literal shit ton of ponds in the woods out there and all of them hold fish.

Otherwise do what Pepsi said.
>>
>>726065
http://www.blueheronfishing.com/rates.asp

https://barjackfishing.com/

http://www.westpalmbeachfishingfl.com/

And literally any pier you want. Don't need a rich friend at all.
>>
>>726104
>http://www.blueheronfishing.com/rates.asp
I didn't know about them, thanks.
>>
File: STOP.jpg (58KB, 234x233px) Image search: [Google]
STOP.jpg
58KB, 234x233px
>its raining
>>
File: 20160322_145757.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160322_145757.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Mainebub, or any noreast bro:

Does anyone know the legality of fishing for striper out of season? The season opens april 15th, but i wanna know if i can wet a line sooner.
>>
>>726112
That combo is fucking beautiful.
>>
>>726096
>do I have any X-Raps
Hehehe

>>726104
I live a couple minutes from the Deerfield pier.
>>
>>726112
Gotta be a CT thing. In Mass we can take stripers all year long as long as they're 28"
There have been some holdover keepers found this month in estuaries.

Ultimately, "I wasn't targeting the striper, I was going after XXX" should work. What is in season?
>>
>>726081
Buy a cast net. Or ask someone at the pier to throw theirs for some bait fish... And just use the bait fish on a tiered system. Its cheaper.
>>
>>726127
My local pier doesn't allow netting for baitfish but it is legal to snag them with weighted treble hooks.
>>
>>726127
I could just stop at one of the tons of places that sell bait. I used frozen squid before but I'm sure I could get some live fish. I know your Jew genes don't allow you to comprehend that but it is possible.

I would love to be able to fish lures on the intercoastal or inlet though.
>>
>>726130
>>726127
I could probably just bring a little crappie jig or something too on an ultralight. Those little silver baitfish love to hang around the pier and eat people's bait.
>>
>>726130
>I would love to be able to fish lures on the intercoastal or inlet though.

You can though. Just do it at dawn or dusk.
>>
>>726130
Only thing is with the bait shops is things are marked up.. Why do that when you can use your own net to catch some sailors choice?

>>726128
You could catch the baitfish before you get to the pier. Idk what your piers are like but in florida just stop off the side of the road somewhere in the inner coastal and by the mangroves. And cast out. I once spent almost a whole day playing with cast nets like this. God my mouth was rekt by the salt water and holding the net in my mouth.
>>
>>726112
Year round here in Maine. Only the tribs and brackish are closed till April 1st.
>>
>>726125
People use the "winter flounder" and sea run brown trout excuse for marshes and brackish around here.

Also our April 1st brackish and trib restriction is within marine Patrol jurisdiction and Ive only ever seen one once.

If you can hit a beach do that and don't risk the ticket for tribs and brackish, as this is federal law in the North East.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Caught my first fish on the ultralight today
>>
File: image.jpg (964KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
964KB, 3264x2448px
>>726243
Also, you guys won't believe this shit. I snagged one of my mepps from the ultralight, and I ended up breaking the line. Later this evening I was running a spinner bait and I ended up snagging that line with the spinner bait and I got my mepps back.
>>
>>726243
Ahh, that Sedona, right? How do you like it?

You ended up with 8lb braid, right? What kind of lures were you tossing? I still haven't thrown a single lure since I put that 6lb on my ultralight.
>>
File: otter.jpg (1MB, 1600x1085px) Image search: [Google]
otter.jpg
1MB, 1600x1085px
>>726247
>>726243
That fish a cute for sure

Also I've done stuff like that before, definitely an awesome feeling to get your stuff back. Neatest thing I've ever done is catch a bass that had a lure in its mouth, the same lure my buddy had just broken off.
>>
>>726247
That's funny.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and my friend and I were fishing for carp at a local pond. We had a few rods out there and we were sitting on this bench a couple feet away. All of a sudden one of the rods went flying into the water.

He was all pissed off and then half an hour later, another one of the rods had a bite. He reels in the rod, and on the hook is his rod that went flying into the water earlier. He grabs that rod and reels it in and the carp is still on the hook.
>>
>>726243
sedona? how are you liking the ultralight life? I'm in love with ultralight. It makes fishing small lures and spinners easy, and it's an absolute blast to fight even the smallest fish.
>>726247
the fish gods have truly shined on you today.
>>
>>726249
>Sedona
Yep

>8lb braid
Yep

I've only thrown some size 0 Agilas and 1/16 rooster tails. Throws pretty good I'm just not used to it being such a short rod so my form is kind of goofy.

>>726250
>catch a bass that had a lure in its mouth
Damn that's cool.

>>726257
Also pretty fuckin cool.

>>726265
Ultralight life is fun. I'm still waiting to catch a feisty crappie for a good fight. I guess the fish gods felt bad for me since I didn't catch any largemouth today.
>>
>>726274
Yeah with those shorter rods, you really just gotta flick the lures. It isn't bad because the lures are so light but it is definitely different from a 7' rod and a 1oz lure. That Sienna 500 with 6lb is on a 5' Ugly Stik and it's so tiny.

Man I really want to go play with that new rod. I don't even think I can get out early tomorrow since I gotta bring my mom to a doc appt. Maybe I can get out early at a nearby lake for a minute.
>>
>>726274
>Ultralight life is fun
>>726282
>you really just gotta flick the lures.

I remember you saying that when I first contemplating getting an ultralight, but it is really kind of weird getting used to loading the ultralight for a cast, but once you hear the swish and feel the load it comes much easier.

took me a few days to get used it, but it felt very similar to loading a fly rod to begin a 4 haul cast.
>>
>>724995
You still around? What the hell is that thing exactly? Freshwater?
>>
Thank you guys so much for finding name for that fish (bigmouth sleeper) im the guy that was asking what it was, from the el rio canal i havent seen fish like that
>>
>>726299
yourwe welcome, i saw a picture of one once, and this morning was like wait, maybe thats what tat was, did some googlefu and there ya go apparently theyre pretty uncommon
>>
>>726292
Yeah, all I've caught lately have been native creek fish on my micro rod. We have some pretty cool species out here. Hopefully I'll have some proper fish to post soon.
>>
>>726329
Post pics of your micro rod and where do you get your hooks? I can only find them so small
>>
File: IMG_20160329_195632.jpg (4MB, 3441x3440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160329_195632.jpg
4MB, 3441x3440px
Lake bow tail, suckers.
>>
Pepsi, stop buying these fucking lazy neets shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>726334
I buy my hooks from Chris at tenkarabum.com, I think he bulk orders them from Japan since they don't bother to sell them here. You could also go to a fly shop, I hear they have some small hooks there.
>pic is my rod, I made it from a strip of bamboo. I can tell you more about the build process if it sounds like something you'd do.
>>
>>726387
Go on, I'm extremely curious about tenkara
>>
>>726387
Seconded post everything step by step
>>
>>726393
So I got a long bamboo pole, maybe 7" circumference, and split it into strips. I got all the good strips and set them aside. Took one strip and used a box cutter to taper it down very fine. Several grits of sandpaper to get it to its final shape. Then I submerged the whole thing in boiling water and used a cord tied at each end to stretch it until it became straight. Once it was dry, I used a propane torch to blacken the wood. This stiffens it and makes it hold a straight shape. The final length is 6.5 feet. Only one guide at the end to tie the line. These rods are great for when you're fishing banks or creeks and don't need much line anyway.
>>
>>726405
Where would one find a bamboo pole?
Not like the little tiny ones people use for tomato stakes
>>
>>726405
Other things: I do a few passes with ultra fine sandpaper after burn treatment for extra shine. My floats are cut from styrofoam with a slit to accomodate the line. The smallest float is the size of a tic tac, it is used with no weight. Usually I use a weight. It is a small bit of lead shaped into a ball with a pin hole pushed through the center.
>>
>>726409
Also dried bamboo? Or green shit? How wide of strips
>>
>>726408
Find a neighbor with bamboo and ask if you can have a stalk. A dead stalk which has dried out is best. Or just get an ultralight fly rod blank with no guides and add a tip loop.
>>
>>726413
I live on the east coast, I'm not going to find ANYONE who has bamboo that isn't just the little sbktry decorative ones
Post a picture of the tip?
>>
>>726413
>>726415
Would home depot bamboo work?
Also *shitty
>>
>>726416
It has to be big enough that a round rod can be carved from the stalk wall, so ~3/8" thick wall.
>>
>>726422
Well fuck
>>
>>726092
It works for me so far...

>>726094
This too
>>
>>726092

A better question is what bait fish doesn't have a lighter belly and red gills visible from below?
>>
>>726423
You could try one of the rod blanks here:
http://www.therodroom.com/shop/pc/TROUT-PANFISH-c184.htm
>>
>>726429
>Imblying it matters in the end
If they are biting, you can cast just about anything and you will catch some.
>>
Ugh, there's too many options in the 100-150 memecasting rod range. It seems like everyone has the 6'10" medium/fast or mh/fast all around rod.
>>
>>726387
About 6 years ago I made sort of a flyrod myself but out of wood. I used black cherry wood I had gathered over time that was pretty straight. Was my bluegill catching pole. Only 5 feet long tho. I ended up giving it away in a trade. And that was before I took pictures of my projects. I spent so much time on it I was afraid of breaking it. So I ended up putting fiberglass on the outside. So it technically was fiberglass rod with a wood core.. So im intrested in seeing how you did yours out of cane.
>>
>>726405
Well I'm convinced. I fish mostly small mountain creeks and Brooks in the late summers, going to look into this. Sometimes it can be unwieldy using a fly rod on such small waters. Would be fun to use a long as stick and fish small creek pools from afar
>>
File: 1426849773390.jpg (134KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
1426849773390.jpg
134KB, 800x500px
help me /out/ i fucking memed myself

>be me
>20
>haven't been fishing in ~11 years
>spent past week preparing
>rod, bait (cockles), learned what the lures i have are for (kinda)
>today's the day, finally go out
>spend ages making sure everything is in my bag, makes it heavy af
>bag is also not a backpack, it just puts all the weight on one shoulder
>walk for an hour to where i want to go, island near my house, get there just as the sun is almost setting
>don't want to fish off the bridge, go around to one side and climb down to the rocks
>not wearing shoes for some reason, feet absolutely full of three-corner jacks
>ok well I made it so it's all good
>spend 10 minutes untangling crap
>it's at this point i realise
>i forgot the bait
>stand there in amazement at my own incompetence
>decide to try casting out anyway, maybe one of these lures or squid jigs will work
>for some reason I can't cast far at all
>realise I dont have any sinkers on line
>put on way too many
>now it's just getting constantly stuck on shit in the water
>optimistically stay there for like two hours
>eventually just give up and go home
>mfw throughout the whole thing

how do i do a competence
>>
>>726495
Try an easier spot next time. Theres no shame in car fishing... Sounds like you tried to do too much too quickly.
>>
>>726501
I don't have a car, and the island isn't accessible in one anyway (unless you work on it)... maybe I'd have had better luck from the bridge, which is less of a bridge and more of a causeway
>>
Anyone know any good bass spots near rainier oregon? I heard the Columbia River is supposed to be great for small mouth but I have no idea where a good spot to fish for them would be.
>>
>>726367
I only did it that one time for Skid.

>>726387
So are those things specifically for real small stuff or will people fish for anything with em?
>>
>>726503
where you at anon?
>>
>>726541
Victor Harbor, South Australia
>>
>>726548
I had a feelin you was Aussie.
Simplify. I never go spin and bait fishing at the same time. Always one or other.
Get boxes. For sinkers hooks etc. Small medicine cups/containers work too, as well as cylindrical handcream containers.
If you dont have a tacklebox, fizzy tablet containers will fit just about any squid jig and wobbler. Hold em all together with rubber bands. (make sure to clean contimainers first)

Prepare for the area youre fishing. Shoes etc. Carry only what you think you will need. Make sure not to forget essentials.

As far as cast distance. Some of it is in your technique, some in the tackle weight. (cant throw a 5g lure a long way with thick line and a 20-40gr rod)
And go from there...
>>
>>726548
im on a tiny island in japan. all i do is drive to a port, get out and spin my アジング aka ajing or LRF (light rock fishing).

with such a simple and light set-up, i can basically fish anytime and ive never run across a time when i forgot something.
>>
Do I fish nymphs or streamers today in the brackish?

What would you guys rather see?
>>
File: IMG_20160329_224605936.jpg (4MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160329_224605936.jpg
4MB, 2340x4160px
>>726576
Forgot namefag
>>
>>726576
Streamers.
(Idunno the difference but u did nymphs before didnt you)
Also link to last video pls.
>>
>>726583
It's higher up in the thread, rather not shill it again.
>>
>>726554
Gonna be honest, I have no idea what spin fishing is, I assume it's just fishing with a lure instead of bait, but I was under the impression you needed bait as well even while lure fishing, so that the fish could, like, smell it...
I have an old tacklebox full of lures but I don't know if I'd ever use most of them or really what they'd even be used to attract, in the thread before last, if you remember those three photos of the soft plastic lures and two squid jigs, that was me

I'm planning on trying again this weekend, will definitely cut down on the crap and probably take my bike instead of walking
>>
>>726605
I dont know the definition of either but way i see it
>Spinning = lure which you cast, reel, cast, reel, cast reel etc

>Bait = Slap a sinker and a hook on there, bait the hook, cast, let sit. Occasionally recast.

Oh right.
Well some of those "shad" looking ones (google soft bait shad) are pretty much universal imo. Any predator should like them.

The fish doesnt need to "smell it". Of course, Berkley's "gulp" scented soft plastics do allow them to smell it but thats another story.

If there are fish in the general area, and you get there in their feeding time, they look for food, and if you cast a lure that looks remotely like food, they bite.
Of course, my experience with sea fishing from shore so far shows that its harder to get fish in the sea than it is in lakes. So you may or may not get bored, depending on your success.

You dont need a ton of lures either. A few will do. Rotate them regularly. If you overuse a lure when there are fish in the area, and you dont catch anything, i assume the fish will get more careful. But even if that isnt true, if they arent biting one lure, they might like the other.
Some days they wont like anything, some days they will like everything.

If you can post up the pics again ill go ahead and tell you what i feel could work for sea fishing.

As for bait fishing.
I use a sliiding sinker system.
Main line - Sinker - Rubber Stopper - Swivel - 40+ cm leader - hook.

Bait the hook, and let it be. This is a more relaxing type of fishing, and my preferred. Best done with 2 or 3 rods at the same time. One works just as well tho.
>>
>>726599
You could use that yapper a bit more.

Maybe its just me, but its less interesting when you just cast and reel 90% of the video, with only the sound of wind or water.

Still neat. Im amazed at how light yalls fucking rods are, id break that shit so easily.
>>
>>726611
>get there in their feeding time
that right there is the understatement of the decade. Most people get frustrated because they don't understand when fish eat. Weather patterns, temps, barometric on the rise
If you fish when they are eating you will catch them. If you fish any other time you'll get frustrated.
Lakes/ponds are more on a clock pattern with weather playing in.
Ocean is more on a tide pattern.
>>
>>726647
That weather shit is annoying since I never check the pressure and I think that has more to do with it than people realize.

I can go to the same lake on 2 different days at 5pm with the sun out and 72F water. One day, I may catch 5 bass and 3 bluegill or cichlids in an hour. The other day I may catch one bass in 3 hours.

I still don't really pay attention though. If I want to go fishing, I will go. But dusk does seem to be the best time at most of my lakes.

It's been storming and raining on and off all morning. I wonder if I will have any luck if I try and go out in a lil bit.
>>
>>726647
Generally dawn and dusk are the best times for most predators in the Adriatic.
With the exception of Seabass, who, as the prince of the Adriatic and a night hunter, will require you to stay late into the night hours to get that trophy fish.
From my experience, rising tide is generally good.

>Funny story
I was fishing for gilt-head bream (hook and sinker) one night in July. I didnt get any action all night. There was no moonlight, so none of the smaller fish from the sparide family were active either.
Then, when my first alarm for work rung, like they were on a schedule, the fish just started nibbling giving the rod tip some action and biting. This was around 6:00am. There was constant action and 4 fish within the hour and 20 minutes, until my last alarm was supposed to go off, around 7:20. Then all action stopped and it was like fishing in a bath tub again. Until about 11am-12 where it showed some nibbling but no bites.

Tides, water temps, winds and currents. It all plays a role. Moon phases especially.
On a night with no moon, you arent gonna catch a single "Common two-banded seabream" ( a fish from the bream or sparidae family ). They are active under moonlit nights, and are best fished on a full moon.
Thats just one example.
>>
So does anybody here really follow barometric pressure for bass fishing? If so, what have your experiences been?
>>
>>726693
Nope, but I don't think I have ever been out fishing and caught nothing , (when targeting bass) worst case scenario I throw on something small and catch panfish etc
>>
>>726612
I'll try to talk more.

No luck at the first river. Onto the next!
>>
>>726693
Rising pressure is the best. Falling is good for the first few hours, stable pressure is shit.
>>
>>726706
Any good websites or apps to follow it? I know weather channel app tells me the pressure but not really trends or timelines.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This thread needs to die so I can make a new one before I take a nap. Or Yuro can do it.
>>
>>726729
Il throw out a pointless post,
Have maybe an hour more of work then I'm going fishing
>>
>>726735
Yeah I'm gonna try and get out this afternoon too. Looks like the good storms are done. Either way I have a rain coat in my car.
>>
>>726736
So who does this. You do it? I do it?

I bought the pants part of a raincoat last month. Shits good, but i get hot in it even in winter. Fucking isolation ass shit.
>>
>>726739
My mom bought me a nice Columbia one for my birthday last year. Ended up having to take the fleece liner out but it works well.

I made it btw
>>
>>726709
Tides4fishing
>>
>>726729
310 make a thread, on to rising Barometric Pressure we go.
>>
>>726745
Its up
>>
>>726579
Streamers
>>726539
And you're my personal hero for that
Superman can suck it
>>
>>724935
Yawn
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.