[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I use this as a walkie talkie with 4 other people?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 14

File: 1458750319350.jpg (29KB, 589x730px) Image search: [Google]
1458750319350.jpg
29KB, 589x730px
Can I use this as a walkie talkie with 4 other people?
>>
>>724268
That's a fucking radio, i'd imagine you could.
>>
>>724268
Yes, just make sure you program the correct frequency as well as the ctcss tone.

Always low power, always narrow band - unless you're a HAM and know what you're doing.
>>
>>724432
No. Just buy regular Midland, Cobra, Topcom or other "store-bought" radio's.

If you don't know exactly what you're doing with this shit you're in for a world of hurt. Wish I was kidding
>>
>>724467
>this much fud about radios
Unless you're transmitting on police/fire/ems/military/business frequencies nobody cares.
>>
>>724476
Exactly.

Hams don't like it either.

But then again the Boafengs are nice and cheap, and you can get extended antenna's or even roll-up antenna's you hang from a tree that really increase your range tenfold. (N9TAX dual band)

Just make sure you know what you need to know.
Search for "Strelok's guide to Ham radio" on the internet
>>
No, you can only have a prime number of people on the network.

-t.
radio mechanic
>>
>>724562
False. What a ridiculously arbitrary restriction that would be!
>>
>>724569
Yet it's there.
>>
>>724578
Yeah, no. That's a lie.

Any number of people with a walkie-talkie can pick up your TX and reply, so long as they're using the same frequency and ctcss tone.
>>
>>724592
But it has to be a prime number of people networked through the CTCSS tone unless you use ax25 with a trunked diplexer.
Noob.
>>
>>724611
Maybe that was the standard where you work? I'm not seeing any literature saying CTCSS comms are restricted to a prime number of users. Further, WHY would that restriction exist?
>>
>>724611

>Not using an ax27
>Or a modulated wave band frequency excluder

pff
>>
country?
>>
>>724667
>Implying I don't
Just saying the minimum requirements for an even network user, although I guess that would just be to leave a spare radio in your pack that nobody uses.
>>
>>724268

Okay, if we're going to have another one of these threads, can someone PLEASE answer this: what is actually fun about ham?

I've tuned into those online receivers a few times and all I hear is foreign radio stations, mystery bleepbloops and some of the most mind numbingly stultifying conversations I've ever heard between two people speaking heavily accented English.

Now, I get that as I don't know what I'm doing I may not be hearing the fun stuff, so what is it that actually jingles people's jimmies about this stuff?
>>
>>724611
>>724651
>Buy a pair of walkies for you and your m8
>be done with it

look at you fuds talking about diplexers and shit. Good fucking God.
>>
>>724683
>Not caring about desense
Look at you kids talking about radios and shit, good fucking god.
>>
>>724680
+1 on this. I have a boefeng radio. When I got it I obsessive ly searched for cool stuff to listen to. All I ever got was a group of 4 people talking about how much camper trailers weighed. Lame. I guess its a bring a friend kind of hobby
>>
>>724680
>>724779
The online webbased receivers are for the shortwave bands below 30Mhz. You can reach all over the world on those frequencies.
CB Radio is also in this range.

A Baofeng works around 140 and 440 MHz. It's a great item to have in any BOB/GHB because you can monitor hams, who are generally up to speed to what's happening, and sometimes emergency services aren't digital yet.

Marine, FRS/GMRS/MURS etc are all key frequencies to monitor for information and affairs when you are bugged in. You need to know what's going on to survive/avoid bad people/meet good people

Other than that, get more people to prep around you or get a few to have comms if you are moving by cars.

The commsprepper on youtube makes great video's explaining the use and merits of having comms gear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=treLJc_QogQ >intro in ham radio, great explanation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAQYfpETDdM > what are "privacy codes" etc

https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2016/01/19/militia-radio-frequencies/
https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2015/01/22/survival-channels-for-baofeng-programming-shtf-ham-frs-pmr-gmrs-murs-marine-weather-business/
https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/3-3-3-radio-plan-for-shtf-communications/
>>
>>724268
I am thinking of getting one of these as well. Can anyone tell me if they are just for communication or can you get music and sports on them? Also would you get police and fire on them in case of disaster/SHTF situation?
>>
>>724899
>commercial broadcasts
The newer Baofengs come with a FM receiver activated by tapping the Call button.

>Police/Fire
It depends. If your local police/fire/EMS uses untrunked VHF radios then yes, you'll be able to program in the frequencies and pick up their communications. However if they use trunked radio you'll need to pick up a scanner instead. Baofengs do have a scan mode, but it's very slow whereas a commercial scanner will go through frequencies extremely fast and may also have functions to let it automatically tune to nearby broadcasts. A regular scanner will run you around $80 (the BC75XLT is a good choice) whereas one with trunking will be $200+.
>>
>>724779
>cool stuff to listen to
Like what? Mine picks up my local PD, the county-wide fire/EMS station and repeaters, NOAA, Maritime frequencies...what did you expect to hear?
>>
>>724807

Yeah I'm not a paranoid redneck, so... no.
>>
>>725358

Actually I have to add to that statement.

Watching what's happening in the states, I reckon that if I was there then I would be a lot more convinced that something might happen.

>Terr'ism
>Redneck militias
>Race riots
>Local cops becoming law unto themselves
>Local cop departments purchasing tanks and heavy weapons
>Wall St didn't learn their lesson with GFC
>etc

But I'm not there, and so I think that all this SHTF bullshit has gotten out of hand desu senpai desu senpai

A lot of the suppliers of tactical shit must be making a mint out of it though
>>
>>724680
>what is actually fun about ham?
There are a lot of different aspects to the hobby, but fundamentally it comes down to the thrill of connecting with other people in new ways. Some people like to use morse code, others do digital modes, and there's a variety of voice modes to play with. There are contests, On The Air (Islands, Summits, National Parks, Beaches, etc.) organizations, homebrewers, emcomm enthusiasts, weather geeks, and any number of other ways to enjoy the hobby.

Finding your own way to make the best of it involves learning more about it, and the best way to do that is to study for and take your license exam.
>>
>>725361
>le twitterspeek meme
Leave
>>
>>725364
There's also a satellites and moonbounce stuff.
>>
>>724651
>WHY would that restriction exist?
It's a fundamental property of the resonant harmonics of the base frequency.

Ye cannae change the laws of physics, even if they offend your delicate libertarian sensibilities.
>>
>>725381
>>724562
>>724578
>>724611
>being trolled this easy

>>725364
Yeah I'm pretty interested in the emcomm stuff. I want a HF rig.

>>725361
>SHTF is bullshit
fuck off then
cry when the handouts run out.

>>724899
They are great to monitor NOAA weather reports, marine traffic (channel 10 great intel), police, fire, and most importantly ham repeaters and simplex GMRS/FRS etc.
FM radio is very useful too.
If you have a friend or family member who's into prepping as well, these make a great start for basic communications gear. Can't advise these radio's enough.

The Baofeng UV-5R is the most versatile with the most (cheap) aftermarket accessories. buy a programming cable and use CHIRP.
>>
>>725373
>>le twitterspeek meme
that's a wordfilter, newfag

baka desu senpai
>>
>>725385
>cry when the handouts run out
You mean when the oil runs out.
>>
>>725394
same thing friend.
>>
>>725385
>I want a HF rig.
They don't have to be expensive, a lot of very good older radios can be found used on sites like HRO.
>>
>>725397
which ones? I'm mostly interested in the 817 or 857D since they're pretty small and portable.

The 857D has a whopping 100 watts output on HF, while even having UHF/VHF capabilities. I could have this rig in my cabin tuned to the same frequencies as my baofeng with a UHF base antenna and another HF antenna for the shortwaves.
>>
>>725387

It's a word filter for twitter speak nignog words you degenerate
>>
I go on hunting trips with a friend where we stay out for a week or two at a time and sometimes we are miles apart covering land and game trails checking traps. We currently use our cell phones to call each other because God Bless America and our telecom companies, but there are some spots where we have no coverage. Would a walkie talkie set suffice in a 5-10 mile range in dense forested mountains?
>>
>>725402
If you set up a base camp you set up you could use those roll-up dual band slim jim antenna's at the camp (nelson antennas or N9tax) and a nagoya NA771 extended antenna for your Baofeng
>>
>>725398
Go for the 857D. The 817 is a nice rig, I have one, but it's more of a backpackers rig. If you want to get something you can carry with you then you might look into the KX3 by Elecraft, or the LD-5 by LNR precision. They'll have a bit more power than the 817 and a more modern DSP for receiving.
>>
>>725401

>nignog words
>twitter speak

The dumb is overwhelming desu senbai baka baka senpai
>>
>>725402
It depends on the terrain. For VHF frequencies (like MURS) you should be alright, but your signal may be blocked if there is a mountain or large ridge in your way. Antenna elevation and line of sight will both help.
>>
>>725385
>cry when the handouts run out.

Won't need handouts cause my country isn't overrun by nignogs and sandniggers. You won't have any handouts left to give though, Amerifriend.
>>
>>725412
Nah I'd just lug the 857D with me in to the field.
Fuck it I'll take a 12V gel accu it's not like I can hike for an hour and set up shop somewhere in the bush. (Fuck The Netherlands for being so tiny)

If I want QRP I'll just crank down the power.

Getting a antenna tuner with it. Yay or nay? sure it saves a lot hassle and shit with random dipoles but I'm thinking about buying a premade end fed half wave antenna for 10/11/20/40 meters with good SWR on those bands.

Do you operate digi modes with it? I'm interested in PSK31.

>>725417
Not amerifriend.
>>
>>725419
It's not like I'd be doing shit like this, except on my own land. Which I'll probably be in my comfy cabin.

Love the setup though, with the LDG tuner and pelicase
>>
>>725419
Tuners can be very handy if you don't have room for multiple antennas or have to compromise on space. I have an Elecraft T1 tuner I built from a kit that works very well, and can interface with my 817 to change bands automatically. Only good up to 20W for prolonged usage, though. Start out with the premade end fed and see if you run into trouble. You can always string up a dipole for 80m if you want, they're stupid simple to make.

I don't usually operate on digital modes, but if you want to get into it then by all means go for it. The software can be run on something as simple as a tablet.
>>
File: ft991_a1.jpg (46KB, 600x278px) Image search: [Google]
ft991_a1.jpg
46KB, 600x278px
>>725421
Alternately, if you don't plan on packing it around for SOTA or anything, you might look into the FT-897 or FT-991. Icom also makes a very nice radio, they're worth checking out.
>>
>>725423
>Digi from tablet
Exactly. That's the beauty I could SSTV a pic or send obfuscated text messages with ease

It's like whatsapp but without the needed infrastructure

I've got a lot more questions though.
Do you 'trust' the internal SWR meter enough to cut/tune a homemade dipole (for like 80meter?)

I'm not allowed on 80 btw with my starters class licence. Only 10,40 and 20. I want a MARS Modded radio, because 11m is also a prerequisite for me. I think a lot of interesting stuff will go on the CB when it all goes south. And it's just funny to work that band
>>
>>725428
The internal SWR meter works well enough, though you just need to measure it and put it up high. The SWR won't drift that much. MARS modifications are available, though if you really want 11m then it's almost worth getting a separate radio.
>>
>>725429
>though you just need to measure it and put it up high.
Wut?

>separate radio for 11m.
I'd probably prefer an all-in-one-do-all rig and make it in a case like that 817 with the pelicase.

That way I can easily operate at home and at the cabin with the same setup, and just carry it all in a small suitcase with a digimodem, Antenna tuner and accessoiries with it. That makes it easy to throw in the car when I need to get outta dodge fast
>>
>>725434
Determining the length of a dipole is easily calculated, and precision isn't absolutely vital. I cut a dipole for 20m with only measuring and it works quite well on multiple frequencies without freaking out the SWR meter. The 897/991 have internal antenna tuners, if you're worried. I can't comment on the MARS modifications as I don't really play around on 11m, but it's certainly conceivable.
>>
>>725436
The 897 doesn't have an internal internal tuner, it's just an older and larger version of the 857D

The FT-100 might be a bit interesting, but I think it's more expensive than a secondhand 857D
>>
>>725445
Hmm, wonder which one I was thinking of then.
>>
>>724950

I guess it would be good if there were people out there that I could talk with about interesting shit. But from what I understand if you're going to have any broadcast range at all then you need to have a home setup with a massive aerial.
>>
Listening to CB from a receiver in Nebraska.

Apparently Dave's daughter got married for the second time, and she's going to live with her new husband in Florida.
>>
>>725474
Good for her. She deserves to be happy.
>>
>>725474
>>725493
Can we buy something for the bridal registry?
>>
>>725500

I'm not sure. They kept talking but there was a really loud tone drowning them out. One of them said something about someone 'having trouble tuning in'.
>>
>>724511

Found Strelok's guide, but it stopped at 9 pages. Is that all there is?

I'm looking for a guide that will explain all of this shit to me right from the very basic beginning. What does /out/ recommend?
>>
>>725585
>a guide that will explain all of this shit to me right from the very basic beginning
depends where you want to end up, comms wise?
Where are you at? if American, a technical license should be where you start

Streloks guide, last version is 1.5.6 but I can't post the link because 4chan thinks its spam.

Should be 22 pages. It covers the basics (although somewhat childish).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=treLJc_QogQ

See >>724807
http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
>>
>>725425
> if you don't plan on packing it around for SOTA or anything

No goddamn mountains or summits where I live

>>725601
YouTube literally has all the answers. Luckily hams know they are a dying hobby and they like to get young people interested in it. So there are many many people on youtube explaining, showing things etc.

Commsprepper is really a good place to start
>>
I want to get into HAM radios.

Should I get a Baofeng and just listen in whilst studying for the foundation license?

My local club on meet up twice a month which is a bit shit desu.
>>
>>725717
That's pretty much what I did. The radio was a good incentive to make sure I passed.

The main thing I'd change is that I'd go back and do both Technician and General at the same time. I got Tech last July and upgraded to General in December, and General was not really any harder to do. (I'm planning on going for Extra next year once I've got more practical experience.)
>>
>>725717
>Should I get a Baofeng and just listen in whilst studying for the foundation license?
Yes
>>
>>725717
Yesss I did the same
>>
>>725782
>>725784
>>725823
Great. There's also a big shop near me too so I might go have a look and buy it from there.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>725825
Bruhhh you get that stuff from amazon or dealextreme or alibaba. Asking more than 35 bucks for one should be fined

The UV5R(A/B/VXY) generally share a common battery type, so you can get 12v Battery eliminators, 6xAA Battery cases and replacement batteries for dirt cheap

The UV82 has dual PTT button which is great with the dual frequency watch function(The 5R has this too, but not the double PTT)

SMA-F is the antenna connector, I've given advice on that in thread.
>>
>>725900
I was going to say
>muh local business
But I just checked on amazon and it's about half the price there.

What's the antenna that comes with it like?
>>
>>725906
You've got a UV5R+ edition which has a slightly better antenna

I don't have it.

See >>725406
I'd like to buy one or two but shipping is pretty expensive
Also get a programming cable and use CHIRP
>>
File: quarter wave GP.jpg (20KB, 355x383px) Image search: [Google]
quarter wave GP.jpg
20KB, 355x383px
>>725906
Not terrible, but it's worth getting a 1/4 wave whip for those times that you need to push out a bit further. The Nagoya NA771 seems to be pretty popular and will work just fine, though there are a number of knockoff versions floating around that should be avoided. If you have the space at home then you can pick up a length of coax with the appropriate connectors and mount an antenna somewhere further up. 1/4 wave ground plane antennas are stupid simple to build and, if you mount them high enough, will give you pretty awesome coverage. "Bazooka dipoles" are also easy to build and are easier to disguise than the ground plane antennas.

Here are the measurements to go with the image (for amateur frequencies):
Freq :146mhz
A = 19 1/2 inches
B = 20-1/2 inches

Freq :446mhz
A = 6 1/2 inches
B = 6 7/8 inches
>>
>>725923
I've bought an SWR meter for that purpose. Already got a bazooka made but haven't gotten the SWR lower than 1.2...

This is however with 5 watts inside
>>
>>725923
Sounds a bit complicated for someone who knows nothing about radios.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BaoFeng-GT-3-Two-Way-136-174-400-520MHz/dp/B00GCZVXPI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1459285564&sr=8-3&keywords=baofeng

How's that one? It's not a UV5R but it comes with a better antenna.
>>
>>725931
The UV5R+ is kinda the best of both worlds right now. You're willing to pay twice-trice as much for every power accessory?
>>
>>725942
I can't seem to find a UV5R+ on amazon

There's this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dual-Band-Improved-Stronger-SuperStore_Electronics-TM/dp/B00WX1EI48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459286201&sr=8-1&keywords=UV5R%2B
and this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/BAOFENG-UV-5R-Plus-Two-Radio/dp/B0091CWQBE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51WPDjmp3kL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1NWHYJQA9JJWV7RJ3HWY

That's about it
>>
>>725944
http://www.dx.com/p/baofeng-bf-uv5r-1-5-lcd-5w-128-ch-uv-dual-band-walkie-talkie-w-radio-flashlight-black-416730

http://www.dx.com/c/electrical-tools-499/walkie-talkies-supplies-437

http://www.dx.com/p/usb-programming-frequency-cable-for-baofeng-uv-5r-uv-5ra-uv-5re-uv-5rb-black-100cm-350718
>>
>>725949
Nice, thanks mate
>>
>>725953
For UK definitely program PMR446 and scan the LPD433 bands. Learn about amateur repeaters and their offset

I'm kinda trying to make my own antennas but those roll up slim jims are great for just anywhere. You can hang the flexible antenna from like a tree or just anything as long as nothing is touching the antenna
>>
>>725931
A 1/4 GP is pretty normal for an entry-level antenna project, doesn't even need soldering if you use conductive adhesive and small bolts. Excluding coax you can put it together for less than $10 and it will last for years.
>>
>>725927
A SWR of 1.2:1 is perfectly acceptable, especially for FM applications. At 5 watts you won't notice any significant heating. Hell, at 100 watts you won't notice any significant heating.
>>
>>725969
What's better for in a forest, no hills? UHF or VHF?

With PMR446 and even on high power the range as like a quarter mile, using stock antennas it was pretty bad
>>
>>725970
I just want my radio's to last, I did't buy an SWR meter for anythiny but 1:1, but then again the antenna part of the coax is inside a long 3/4" white plastic pipe, with a 15 turn coax balun wrapped around the outside of the pipe

I'd like to put the PMR446 coax dipole on the outside of my cabin, can I weatherproof it sufficiently for that?0
>>
>>725972
I'm inclined to say VHF, but UHF may also work depending on the terrain. A 1/4 wave antenna for the 2M (VHF) band is pretty close to a 5/8 wave antenna on the 70cm (UHF) band, so you can get away with using one for both. Alternately you can get a telescoping antenna and collapse/extend it for different bands. I have one like that for hilltopping, and with enough LoS I can get crystal clear contacts at >100 miles on 146Mhz with only 1 watt and a 19 inch antenna.
>>
>>725964
Might be a stupid question but can you just go from repeater to repeater until you're the other side of the world or does it not work like that?
>>
File: sleve dipole.gif (8KB, 243x439px) Image search: [Google]
sleve dipole.gif
8KB, 243x439px
>>725976
You can weatherproof anything with enough tape and epoxy/hot glue. Maybe look into a sleeve dipole, or vertical bazooka, and put it into a sealed PVC pipe. There are some good ideas to be had in the ARRL Antenna Handbook.

The final power amplifier in your handheld is rated to be just fine at up to 20:1 SWR, which is how many companies can get away with using those rubber duck antennas without destroying anything. Anything less than 2:1 is quite good and a fine achievement, good job!
>>
>>725980
Nah I'll probably make a copper pipe slim jim for 70cm

6db of gain and a lower radiation angle than a J-pole

It's more for listening around when bad things happen and comms around the cabin
>>
I'm going to buy a radio but I refuse to take the test, how fast will I end up in jail
>>
>>725998
Just dialled 999 m8
>>
>>725998
Tracking ur ip r/n to call your local telecommunications authority

>rot in prizzers m8
>>
>>726000
How long does it take to triangulate my signal, and what's the harshest fine
>>
File: IMG00003.gif (2KB, 524x237px) Image search: [Google]
IMG00003.gif
2KB, 524x237px
>>725990
>6db of gain

Be cautious of figures like that, especially when referring to j-poles and slim jims. These are, at best, folded monopoles with a transmission match and no ground plane. These claims rarely hold up in real world installations, and the actual performance is influenced significantly by the local ground effects and whatever else happens to be nearby.

If you want gain with a low radiation angle then you might look into a coaxial collinear monpole, and don't forget the ground radials. Here's a homebrew version that's pretty straightforward to build and will give you 9dBi of gain with much more reliability: http://www.rason.org/Projects/collant/collant.htm

If you want something to Rx broadband then the 1/4 wave may actually get you better results. The best part of this is that most of these are inexpensive to build, so you can crank out one of each and then see how it goes!
>>
>>726009
Srs as long as you don't transmit on ANYTHING but PMR446 for Europe an UK I think or start fucking with kids nobody will bother ya.
>>
>>726011
Hoe hard are they to make and tune?
>>
>>726005
Have fun paying dues while I HAM it up for free
>>
>>726009
Some systems can do it within seconds, and the fines can be pretty steep and include equipment confiscation (depends on your jurisdiction.) More importantly, though, you will be acting like a Dick. Don't be a Dick, anon, be a Steve.

Take the test, buy the license, or stick to license-free frequencies.
>>
>>726011
Plus 9db is way to much I think
1 Watt on low setting equals around 9 watts
>>
>>725982
pls respond btw
>>
>>726015
>>726020
Not harder than a Jpole, just a bit more measuring/cutting and a few more solders. If you want less gain then use fewer elements. Seriously, you probably don't need more than the 1/4 GP to do what you're talking about, but you should build a few and see what kind of results you get. All part of the learning process.
>>
>>726019
What channels are free
>>
>>726029
Yeah true. I'll test the coax dipole first outside
>>
>>726023
Only with some digital DMR repeaters/talkgroups

Generally: no.

There might be some analog repeaternets but they rely 100% on the internet with multiple RX and TX sites
>>
>>726032
Depends where you live. Ironically, studying for your amateur license will answer a lot of your questions. There are a variety of materials available for free online, including this excellent video series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL07A7D1C9D7BF7F48
>>
>>726039
Makes me want to just hang out on walkies and not worry about the feds fucking me
>>
>>726049
Are you saying that you want to get your license, or just stick to non-licensed bands? Assuming you're in the states, the unlicensed frequencies (with limits) are:

FRS (Family Radio Service)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service
UHF band, limited to fixed antennas and 0.5W

MURS (Multi-use Radio Service)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service
VHF band, limited to 2W and some height restrictions.

CB (Citizens Band)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_band_radio
HF band, limited to 4W AM, or 12W SSB.
>>
>>726049
With whom did you hope to hang out on walkies?
>>
>>725417
>America
>sandniggers

We aren't Europe, friend.
>>
>>724611
>networked
I'm pretty sure OP is referring to simplex comms.
Also, CTCSS is not a networking system you mong, it's simply a squelch setting that will not open unless you also transmit the correct continuous tone.
You would know this if you actually knew what CTCSS meant.
>>
>>726237
You're the one mistaken here, friendo.
>>
>>726245
Alright, so if a CTCSS "network" requires a prime number of users, explain to me how 2m and 70cm repeaters maintain a constant quality of operation when their number of users is typically random.
>>
>>726260
That's what the trunked diplexer is for, or, if you want to be a hipster about it, the "synthetic nerve" radio directional antenna loop.
>>
>>726267
It's obvious you're trolling so I will cease my replies.

Actually make me wonder why I felt the need to reply in the first place.
>>
>>726272
>Anything I don't understand is trolling
>>
>>726276
A diplexer (basically) is typically used allow two devices to use one antenna across a frequency split, and has practically nothing to do with CTCSS, and very little to do with a trunked radio network. Many refer to this device incorrectly as a duplexer. I have never heard of a directional antenna loop being used for a repeater instead of something like a J-pole or straight whip, with a yagi for more specific applications.

CTCSS is little more than a squelch system. It's in the name for fucks sake.

I helped construct and run my local skywarn repeater.

Why am I trying to defend my honor as a extra class on an anon image board when I know it only get this faggot hard?
>>
>>726284
>Why am I trying to defend my honor as a extra class on an anon image board when I know it only get this faggot hard?
Because you're afraid to admit that your experience is only with the old crystal sets from before the prime restriction was implemented.
>>
>>726287
>before the prime restriction was implemented.

Except there would be literature on it, as either a FCC or ITU document.

That's the only way it could apply to all CTCSS enabled communications and not just certain trunked radio systems.
>>
>>724611
What? Make sense, dammit.
>>
>>725972
>using stock antennas it was pretty bad
Yeah, those rubber duck antennas are crap. Unequivocal, irredeemable, crap. Well, not *quite* irredeemable; you can get a little extra range using a tiger tail. I'm still new to the whole ham radio scene myself, lurking until I get my license.
>>
>>724562
0/10 trolling there, buddy. Even if the rest of your statement were true, five (OP+4) is a prime number. Maybe you should pay more attention in your grade school math class.
>>
>>726314
I've found tiger tails (or rat tails) to be of limited value. It's essentially a single radial on a non-resonant antenna and if it isn't hanging just right then you get directionality when you don't want it. Smiley makes a good antenna using helical coils, they're worth checking out.
>>
>>726149

No, you're worse.

>I'm not a eurofag
>What's with you murritards always thinking anyone who hates you is euro?
>>
>>726314
>>725989
Well I measured the SWR of my rubber duckies but they are all 1:1
>>
>>726426
A dummy load also has an SWR of 1:1, doesn't mean they radiate for crap. Seriously, though, you can match anything with the right C/L network.
>>
File: gc1.jpg (61KB, 640x420px) Image search: [Google]
gc1.jpg
61KB, 640x420px
>>724467
>Faggot with operator license.

Check this silly cunt out. Fuck you and fuck your radio.
>>
>>726460
Aww, are you butthurt that you couldn't pass a test of which the answers are all posted online?
Or are you just too fucking lazy to do it?
Or is it the govm't goin take muh radio paranoia?
If you ever want to hear what VHF/UHF bands would be like without regulation listen to CBers for a while.
Having a jammer get on when you're trying to uplink to a satellite would be very fucking annoying.

Don't get me wrong, hams who try to convince you that you should get a license because it's fun to say nothing but cqcqcq and 599 on the radio are faggots who have no lives. Most hams that are dicks about the rules I have met are assholes who want to have some kind of power but are too old and spiteful to be cops. For me Ham isn't fun, it allows me to add high power RF into other projects that are fun.
No, I'm not the anon you are replying to.

Unrelated:
My favorite thing is always prepfags who will buy the radios and not take the tests.
Actually learning the material up through at least general (the basics of RF telecomms, RF, and HF behavior) instead of just memorizing the answers will be far more useful than a 2m/70cm dualbander handheld.
Without repeaters VHF and UHF handhelds are practically useless for anything other than buddy talk.

To >>724268
yes and no.
You CAN use it, but it will be illegal on the UHF range without a GMRS certificate. Even then it might still be, because it is not clear if the UV-5r is FCC listed or not. Heard rumors on both sides of that one.
For MURS it is if it's FCC listed.

You Could use it on GMRS/FRS and MURS, albeit illegally.
At a maximum output of a little less than 4 watts (the marketing is a lie) you'd be hard pressed to get caught, but if some anal 90y/o contesting ARES member see you and gets his dick hard, you could be slapped with a fine, if the FCC inspector is having a bad day and you were knowingly operating illegally.
But in some cases they may just take the equipment.
>>
>>726482
/thread
>>
>>726482
I don't want to take my ham test because it requires me to post my name, telephone number and address on the internet.
>>
>>726660
seriously?
>>
>>726660
P.O. boxes and throw away phones are a thing anon.
Only requirement is it be a deliverable address.
Your address and name are already public somewhere on the internet I'm sure of it, since it's already public record.
As long as you don't go posting your call sign when you are anon there are no worries.

Your name and address are really meh info unless theres dirt attached to it.

Also you don't post anything, it's added to an online database which is searchable by the public. It only shows up on google if something like QRZ picks it up and you can ask them to take it down.
>>
>>726660
>>726668
>>726714
The reason it's like this is so in the event a ham is causing harmful interference on vital channels such as skywarn durning a bad storm, a marine net, or general public safety, and no one can make contact over the air, they can theoretically get ahold of said ham to stop the interference.

You'd be suprised how often ham nets are used in support of vessels in life or death situations.
>>
>>726714
It's illegal to use a PO box, the government requires your home address.

My dox are not available in the kinds of databases you're thinking of, and the combination of my name and address is not public record. The cops can look up where I live by typing my name into a searchable database, but private investigators and regular people can't and must use other means. I've checked.

>you aren't actually posting your dox on the internet, you're just putting it into an online searchable database
durrrrr

>>726725
I'm aware of the reason and I can see it being useful, but that doesn't change anything for me. I have no reason to talk to hams via ham radio and I can chat them up on the internet if I have questions, so there is no value in getting licensed. I can still talk on unlicensed channels without consequence, and in the event of a severe emergency I could use my programmable radio to contact the emergency ham net and request help.
>>
>>726660
If you're that paranoid about it then you shouldn't get your license, it'd be WAY too much stress in your life.

NOW we've hit /thread
>>
File: ReadingIsHard.png (60KB, 1062x500px) Image search: [Google]
ReadingIsHard.png
60KB, 1062x500px
>>726759
>It's illegal to use a PO box, the government requires your home address.
It isn't and they don't, they only require a current mailing address.

>Page 10
https://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605.pdf
>>
>>726759
If you live in the US and have a valid drivers license, in most states the combination of you name and address is public record and is usually searchable for a fee. This is how the original white-pages were made. Unless you have moved and never updated anything your address is most definitely public record. If you mean you name and address are not searchable without one or the other, well no shit Sherlock.

It is most definitely not illegal to use a P.O. box.
If it is an address where mail can be delivered it is valid.

"Q: Must I list a physical address, or can I just list a P.O. box?

A: You may list a PO Box and/or a physical address for a wireless application. The address will become the address of record for official FCC correspondence. This address must be kept current. Use the "Update" or "Update Licenses" feature of the ULS License Manager to update the address at any time. "
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/helpfiles/licensemanager/commonQuestions.html

Damn >>726843 beat me
>>
File: IMG_20160208_235917719.jpg (230KB, 1005x1596px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160208_235917719.jpg
230KB, 1005x1596px
>freshman in college a few years ago
>decide to try and join a club to make friends
>end up going to ham radio club
>get license for free
>club ends up being full of weirdos
>forget about ham radio for a year or two
>find my radio when moving
>scan the radio to find someone to talk to
>literally every conversation is just old men talking about physics and engineering
ham radio would be way cooler if it weren't just creepy old guys talking about boring shit. I'm a pretty social person but I haven't actually broadcast yet because I haven't had anything to say. I'm not an old man, I'm not an engineer or a physicist, I'm bad at math, and I just want to find one other person on the air who wants to talk about like movies or music or something other than boring radio or car talk

should I just give up or something?
>>
>>726846
get a good CB
>>
>>726846
Entirely with you on this one brah
It really put me off but then I learned more about HF so I'm primairly interested in those bands now.

DX'ing, digimodes the whole nine yards
>>
>>726848
isn't the range on that really short though? I have one in my car for when I drive interstate to monitor for accidents, but I can really only receive or transmit to/from vehicles I can see

I doubt anyone in my neighbourhood has a CB, granted it is NC so I could be wrong

>>726850
Is that the international stuff? I always thought it was intriguing but the math required is too complicated for me, plus the equipment is expensive
>>
>>726852
Yeah DX means Destination Unknown. It's below 30Mhz and you can get thousands of miles on a couple of watts, a good radio and an antenna

CB sucks, since the advent of cheap Powerline adapters the entire 27MHz is like contantly jammed by consumer electronics. It's all very local (couple miles) or the very occasional good conditions on the 11m band that allow for skip. Plus the users nowadays are jackasses. You'll have way more fun on the ham bands.

There's little math that's involved with HF... Don't really know what you mean. Same principles like SWR, antenna impedance etc, apply however.

HF radio's are pretty expensive especially when compared to Baofengs. But the can be had for not too much. Just don't buy a too new or fancy rig as your first one.
>>
>>726852
I barely passed high school math and managed to get my Amateur Extra class license. You can totally DX with just a General class, though, and used HF radios are still quite adequate. Going international can be a bit of a leap, but there's plenty of people in the US to chat with. It can be just as rewarding connecting with somebody in California as it is somebody in England, especially if you built the antenna yourself (dipoles are stupid simple.) There are a lot of different activities in the HAM community, just decide what's interesting to you and learn more about it. Local clubs are great sources of knowledge, and you can always ask around on the repeaters. The further you dive in the more options you have to enjoy it. Personally I like to operate outdoors and participate in programs like SOTA and NPOTA. What are you interested in?
>>
>>726852
>>726863
CB can travle far if you do it right but >>726863 is right, it is pretty shit.

Surprisingly, the solution to your problem is the one that caused it, join a club, find a cool but older ham who know his shit in HF, he'll help you out a lot.
>>
>>726870
alright, I just always assumed the higher tiers required more maths, if that's not the case then I guess I could give it a shot

>what are you interested in
aside from radio stuff but still /out/ related, I like camping, dirt bike stuff, and like art crafting (knitting, weaving, macrame, etc). Nobody on the radio around me has an interest in most of that, and when the interest does overlap they quickly veer off into the more spergy topics

>>726876
I've tried going to a club around here but the people were a little awkward, a creepy guy hit on me a few times so I just kinda got weirded out and never went back
>>
>>726880
Well, you can talk about these things, and that's fine, but I was wondering what aspects of amateur radio you were interested in. It sounds like you might enjoy getting a monoband SSB radio for the 40m band and then taking it with you on hikes and camping trips. The BitX, or KN-Q7a might be appropriate for this.
>>
>>726888
>checked
I got it, tbqh the thing that interests me about ham radio is just the socializing aspect, talking to people and stuff. if 40m antennas are portable, then sure it'd probably be pretty interesting to take with on a camping trip
>>
File: Dipole-Antenna-Balun.jpg (14KB, 655x302px) Image search: [Google]
Dipole-Antenna-Balun.jpg
14KB, 655x302px
>>726896
Dipoles, and also inverted-V antennas, usually consist of two lengths of wire that add up to 1/2 wavelength of the resonant band. For a 40m antenna you'd wind up with ~20m (~65 feet) of thin wire. If you use AWG 18 then it shouldn't weigh very much. One wire is attached to the shield (braid) of your coax feed line, and the other is attached to the center. There are a variety of designs available to make this easy and robust. Sometimes people will use baluns to decouple the antenna from the feed line, but at low power these aren't always necessary. Once you've got that then you stretch the wire out as high up as you can, most people use trees, and hook the coax into your radio. Inverted-V antennas are the same idea, except they're supported from the middle only with the two wires sloping towards the ground in different directions. There's a pretty good write up on them from the ARRL here: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/9106023.pdf

There are a wide variety of antennas that can be used on HF, some of them are more portable than others. End Fed Halfwave (EFHW) antennas are quite popular for hilltopping and other portable applications, you can buy (or build) one for quite a reasonable price. LNR Precision makes a good line of products, as does SOTABeams.
>>
File: gnal.jpg (33KB, 425x417px) Image search: [Google]
gnal.jpg
33KB, 425x417px
>>726926
Different anon here, I know absolutely nothing about radio and I'm looking to start

My main interests are radio communications in the woods (for hiking, camping, 4x4), and international to practice speaking languages

I'm wanting to get my tech and general licenses at the same time, what's a good way to study and make sure I'll pass in the first go
>>
>>726843
>>726845
I don't live in the US, I should have made that more clear. I thought I mentioned it in my post.
>>
>>727100
The best way is to actually learn the material the test is based on.
Tech:
https://youtu.be/fEWmiMotimY?list=PL07A7D1C9D7BF7F48

https://youtu.be/jomk_c9LLa4
The first guy goes over theory, the second guy a little theory and answer pools.
Both series are very good when watched together.

for general:
https://youtu.be/5CX6EFOLwQc?list=PL0R9jy9LZw_35KimLiSIOH0YdNtCeYcRe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvPVrfoKK0o

a lot what Dave Casler says about the ARRL and their "goodness" is bullshit, he is an ARRL shill.
Nowadays an ARRL membership is practically useless unless you're a contester, and don't even get me started on ARES fags.
However if you aren't electronically inclined they will help greatly.
The math doesn't get too crazy until Extra.
>>
>>727113
*the books
The books will help greatly.
>>
>>727113
Thank you
I'm in college for engineering, so I'm no stranger to math. I've taken a few electrical engineering courses and labs.
That said, my scope of knowledge is very narrow and I am trying to learn how it applies to radio.
The test is going to be in about 2 weeks, so I hope that's enough time
>>
>>727142
Anytime anon, I'm in the same boat, double engineering major, but I got my ticket two years ago.
I'd give yourself enough time, but if you fail you can always retest.
With most VE's as long as you don't fail you can keep going. I got my tech and general both on the same day without studying much, but then again I already knew most concepts.
If you understand basic electronics and RF, it will be more about memorizing the rules.
>>
>>726896
I've listened to hams on web SDR and frankly it mostly seems to be rednecks bragging about their antennas.
>>
>>726880
One day creepy guys are going to stop hitting on you, and you're going to miss it.
>>
>>727108
So, where do you live? Nevermind. The majority of countries don't require a home address, just a mailing address. Be sure to check it out.
>>
>>727100
There are practice exams available on the ARRL website, as well as other places online. Take a couple and see where you stand, it'll give you a good idea where to focus your studying.
>>
>>727113
>Nowadays an ARRL membership is practically useless unless you're a contester, and don't even get me started on ARES fags.

Yeah I've considered the insurance, but the membership is fairly pointless. The main thing going for it is the access to the back issues of QSL and maybe the insurance if you're worried about loosing your gear.

Their books range from okay/good (the handbook/antenna book, repeaterbook, some of the technical books about propagation and such) to stuff that is essentially a $50 collection of QSL articles or copies of the introduction section of the "Ham Radio For Dummies" book. Plus their store has terrible shipping and they always rig the discounts so it's like the antenna book is $49.95 and the code only works on orders of $50.

And they nag for money more than the NRA which I didn't think was possible.
>>
>>727217
From what I've heard QSL is all ads now, so aside from the insurance (which isn't part of the membership for those who don't know) which I can't afford. I will say the ARRL QSL card bureau is one of the few things I would use of the ARRL if I signed up.

Jesus the ARRL and nagging. Ever since I got my license, an entire packet every two weeks.
It's been two years since and they still won't stop even though I haven't acknowledged their existence. I could tell them to stop, but that doesn't waste nearly as much of their time and money.
>>
>>727222
I should clarify:
I meant you don't get the insurance from the membership; it is a separate payment and plan that is made available by the membership.
>>
>>726759

So how does one achieve such status? And are you a prepper by any chance?
>>
>>727370
>So how does one achieve such status?
What status? That question makes no sense...
>>
>>727185
>rednecks bragging about their antennas.
that's the thing, like why put so much effort into radios just so you can get on a radio and talk about radios? like it's so boring

>>727186
by then I'll have a husband so I don't really care, either way it's unwanted
>>
>>727418
here's a tip:
find a different club
find an ELMER on the internet.

Most cool but older hams are married with lives and they're not going to start flirting with someone outside of typical joking socialization.
There's really not that much work into setting up an HF rig. Get a radio, antenna, and match the SWR.
>>
>>726846
Here's some basic steps to ensure your local radio club won't be full of "weirdos" and armchair engineers:

>Step1 - Start your own radio club and only allow members that share your interests
>Step 2 - Kick out the "weirdos"
>Step 3 - Come back and complain that nobody wants to join your club

Radio culture is not going to change for you. Either change your expectations or stop now before investing any more time or money.

The truth of the matter is, most people living in society are stupid people that do what they're told, when they're told and don't employ any critical thinking skills on a regular basis. It's why we all have smartphones and not radios, and why people still post personal shit on Facebook and wonder why they're getting fired or dumped the next day. This is also why you can't find a radio partner that shares your interests and won't hit on you; the ones that would share your interests and not hit on you don't give two shits about radio comms while the ones on the air are likely the opposite - not up-to-date with the latest trends and media and likely social outcasts, and therefore jump on any opportunity (read: you) for -gasp- sharing an interest (the exact same thing YOU are looking for, but "HELL NO I'm not a weirdo!" right?)!

Most of the people into radio comms as a hobby are older because they were your age either when the tech first came out or when the tech was finally made cheap enough for them to get into it. The "weirdo" kids today that are 15-30 years old messing with computer programs and networks would have been these radio "weirdos" if they were born 30 years earlier.
(cont)
>>
>>726846
(cont)
Radio is not YOUR hobby. It's not MY hobby. It's not the "weirdo"'s hobby. It's -A- hobby enjoyed by anyone willing to enjoy it, and the "weirdos" you found are willing to enjoy it. Stop trying to make it YOUR hobby.

tl;dr - Communications hobbies attract "weirdos" (aka - objectively physically unattractive to you, yet rather intelligent people with poor social skills). If you can't handle it, find another hobby. These people aren't going anywhere, and likely retreated to radio long ago once they realized people like you would ostracize them for being different.
>>
>>727498
>reeeeee: the post
I wasn't saying the culture should change for me, I was just lamenting the fact that such an interesting way to be social is populated by people who have no social skills

>jump on any opportunity (read: you) for -gasp- sharing an interest (the exact same thing YOU are looking for, but "HELL NO I'm not a weirdo!" right?)
the sharing of the interest is superficial though, I thought radio would be cool because I like talking to people, but they're drawn to it because of the math and engineering aspects and since that's what they like, that's what they talk about. I never said I'm not a bit weird, I mean we're not having this conversation on facebook or anything you know.

and yeah, the age difference is understandable but even the people my age (22) who are ham radio operators just seem like the old people in almost every way, except probably being more into star wars and stuff like that

>>727500
>Radio is not YOUR hobby. It's not MY hobby.
fuck off, a hobby doesn't belong to a single person, you're the only one claiming that.

>t's -A- hobby enjoyed by anyone willing to enjoy it, and the "weirdos" you found are willing to enjoy it
I know, and I was saying that it sucks that there aren't a lot of people I can relate to involved in what might otherwise be an enjoyable hobby. I just find it hard to enjoy something when nobody else has similar interests outside of that specific activity

> These people aren't going anywhere, and likely retreated to radio long ago once they realized people like you would ostracize them for being different.
ok? I never said they should go anywhere, if anything they should stay with radios so they don't spread out to other things and ruin them for people like me, who actually know how to hold a conversation without coming off as rapey or autistic
>>
>>727505
whoops accidentally a word, disregard
>fuck off, a hobby doesn't belong to a single person, you're the only one claiming that.
>>
>>727222
Yeah it's basically adverts and contest reports with a few occasional articles about how to 3D print a straight key or make a upconverter for a RTL-SDR.

I've gotten more from reading the amateurradio subreddit, and watching a few survivalist youtube channels, than the local clubs or the ARRL to be honest.
>>
>>727399

It makes perfect sense. I'm referring to the status of dox not being available on any database.
>>
File: albert_elect_comm-746.png (35KB, 670x281px) Image search: [Google]
albert_elect_comm-746.png
35KB, 670x281px
>>727100
You'll probably want a VHF/UHF handheld for hiking/4x4, assuming that you just want to keep track of different parties, and an HF radio for the international stuff. There's a good presentation on RF propagation here (lesson 8), along with some other interesting stuff: http://www.ve7na.ca/cms/training
>>
>>727505

Don't listen to him, he's a bozo.

I'm a HAM and I agree there are radio weirdos. Take a look at infamous callsigns like VE7KFM, K3VR, AE4FB, K1MAN, or any of the fuckheads on the 147.435 2-meter repeater in Los Angeles. Those are the whackos.

Then there are some rather cringey guys who aren't whackos, but rather whackERS. Usually these guys are staunch old time HAMs that are boring as shit, but they stay relegated to WinLink and their RACES/ARES meetings.

HAM Radio is a microcosm for social interaction and there are plenty of cool guys in the hobby. Just listen to some nets and call CQ (if you have a license) on different frequencies since most operators hang out around a certain range. Stay the fuck away from 14.313, 14.275MHz, and anywhere in 75/80meters unless you want to listen to absolute fucking bizarre whackos. 14.300 is alright as the maritime mobile net, I'm maritime mobile but I've met a couple cruisers sailing the high seas of Arizona and New Mexico.

I found normal guys on 7272kHz and most other frequencies. I'd say anywhere north of 80% of HAMs are just regular hobbyists not interested in preparing for nuclear holocaust or berate/stalk each others families over a 30 year period.

Also don't forget that HAM doesn't end in Phone. All the bozo faggots don't ever bother with CW Morse or RTTY, those freqs are immaculate. Moonshots/Satellite work is great too.
>>
>>727100
>>727142

Use hamstudy.org - free flash card study with explanations on the back and user stats. Spam flash cards and use the practice tests. Memorize the answers and pass the practice tests consistently. If you fuck up on the test you can just take it again then and there.

>>727100
>>727637
VHF/UHF like a Baofeng UV-5R is the way to go. You can learn burn the fucking thing in gasoline for a few minutes like in this video after running over it and drowning it in water. It's also cheap. Consider an aftermarket antenna and get an idea on how propagation works. For example, be able to answer the question

>why do I get better range on a mountaintop than in a mountain valley?

Or

>what is my output power and why does it matter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZCDBsBuhmg
>>
>>727974
Using flash card memorization of theory is the shitty way to do it. If you learn the theory you can actually use your skill instead of being that fag on the forums who doesn't know SWR from PEP from his ass, and asks what antenna/radio combo is the best to buy like some 13y/o on /g/ building a computer. It's shocking to me how many hams have a general class but don't know shit about radio, and just use their callsign as a "lookemme I'm smart" token. Less so in Extra because it requires actual calculations. If you plan on using your license, learn the theory.

However when rules are concerned, flashcard style is the only way to do it.
>>
>>726482
What are high power RF projects?
>>
>>728106
Anything higher than half a watt (4 in non-UHF) in many cases either must be operated in a certain band (not always applicable to the project) or require a license.

The 11m CB, VHF MURS, 440 range GMRS/FRS and free higher channels all have different properties and quirks, some of which are beneficial, some the opposite.
Because of this being able to use the range 160m-3cm and higher allows me to have a far more useful RF range.
Mostly for RC projects, but also including vehicular data links during operations (i.e. being a tactical faggot or a storm spotter), satellite uplink, long range real time navigation and communication, and etc.

I only said "high power" because if practically covers everything over the non-licensed legal limit.

For example, putting a 100-watt 33cm repeater in a FPV plane, get 6 faggots and you have small radios, great coverage, and in my area, almost no listeners. make that 1.25m in inclement weather.
We don't break the law of course. Just tacticool faggots being tacticool for fun.
However these projects have been utilized by my (small but local) public services in emergencies, SAR, and weather warning and spotting services too.
>>
>>724268
Do you have to use NATO phonetic when HAM'ing?
I know most of them but always mess up a few and don't want to look foolish.
>>
>>728426
It's generally recommended especially for DX, but many hams I know use whatever.
"CQCQCQ DE FD4KEI Fudge Donut 4 Kilowatt Edison Injun FD4KEI K"

IDK if that's a real callsign, it definitely isn't for the US.

Some hams will give you shit for doing that, and it can't be anything that would be considered vulgar.
I'd just learn NATO, it's not hard to remember, just keep trying to recite the alphabet in NATO from memory and look up what you forget.
>>
>>728444
In the above I used Morse shorthand for brevity, but you wouldn't do so in a phone conversation (DE= This is, K=over to you, really a more appropriate end of message should have been used), which is the only time one would identify like that, except for RTTY/PSK31.
>>
>>728444
Man fuck people who use those random phonetics
Even as only a SWL'er that shit pisses me off
>>
>>728798
Yazoo Orange Unlicensed Robot Masturbation Ulaanbaatar Malaria
>>
>>728798
Lazer Astro Sugar Time
Negro Inca God Hillbilly Time
Wanker Astro Sugar
God Raging Engineer Astro Time
Astro Negro Orangatangue Negro
>>
>>729055
Nicaragua Said Zed Monekeypeople Beaner
I actually heard this on the air on 10m once.
Obviously that's not a legit callsign.
10/10 would listen to the old people raeg again.
>>
>>725949
Ordered the uv5r from that link now lad, didn't order the USB cable though, I'll get that some other time, what is it for?
>>
>>729766
Dumbass

You can program the radio manually, but you won't be able to enter display names for the frequencies. It's also a huge pain in the ass to do it by hand
>>
>>729769
Oh well, what do I need to program exactly? Saving repeaters for repeaters etc?
>>
>>729769
>>729787
Not just programming names, but also to fix the squelch problem.

UV5R uses squelch banks 0-9 but each bank has it's own squelch value. The UV5R squelch values range from 0 to 110 but the banks are set to similar values by default, resulting in the same squelch value for banks 1-9.

The programming wire plus CHIRP can correct this.
>>
>>724268
>can I use this a a walkie talkie with 4 other people?
Pretty sure you're gonna need 4 more. At least.
>>
>>729862
I've never had issues with the squelch on this radio, but maybe I'm just lucky.

Any time there's an actual signal it opens, and it's only opened once on a burst of noise on the factory setting. I never changed it because I'm lazy and I've never needed to.

But yeah >>729787 getting the cable and CHIRP definitely makes programming channels far quicker than doing it manually.
>>
Keep in mind that you can't save repeater offsets without the cable.
>>
>>730293
You can make a cable with a ttl adapter and some 3.5mm jacks, but it's a much better idea to just buy one. cheap and it saves time.
>>
>>730139
As it stands your BaoFeng has 2 squelch settings - "off" at 0 and "low" at 1-9. You can't fix this by hand on the radio itself, only through programs such as CHIRP so you'll want to do it before the need arises.
>>
>>729862
>>730346
>BAOFENG SQUELCH SOFTWARE MOD
>Chirp software provides a fix for the well-known Baofeng squelch problem. This is a software modification that resets the squelch to enable higher tighter levels of squelch, controlled by the Baofeng radio’s squelch setting. The Baofeng Service Settings of the Chirp software are explained on the Chirp site:

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Squelch.php

You're welcome.
>>
For having such a small antenna, the HT1000 is pretty clear both on UHF and VHF.
I highly reccomend it if you have a way to program it.
>>
>>730346
I live in an area where interference is a pretty big problem, and I haven't had a problem with it yet.
I'll leave it the way it is.
If I'm waiting on important info from a weak transmitter, that's what the MON button is for.
I already use chirp, if you see my post, I just don't see the point in doing something I don't need to when I could just be lazy.
Then again I do leave my squelch as low as possible without picking up random RF spikes since I am actively listening on my repeater inputs and outputs most of the time for malicious interference.
Tinfoilers have recently decided to try and start jamming repeaters in my area.

Also to clarify, I am >>728444 not >>729766 .
I do recommend he still get the cable and use CHIRP.
>>
Baofeng bandits menace Chicago police.
http://abc7chicago.com/news/mayor-requests-feds-help-with-racial-slurs-heard-on-police-radio/1274462/
>>
So I finally had some time to successfully try my DIY coax antenna
Managed to get 4.3 miles of clear reception from the coax antenna to my stock baofeng uv5r while at 1:1.2 SWR
Pretty okay with the results
>>
>>730588
nowhere in the article does it say the perps were using baofeng radios,
>>
>>730511
You do what you want. Enjoy your static!
>>
semi-interesting fact: i watched a documentary the other day about the Peshmerga fighting the islamic state, they were all using baofengs.
>>
>>731222
Like I said, I haven't had any issues with the squelch opening when there isn't a signal.

But obviously I wouldn't know anything about that, I've only been using the thing for 2 years and counting.
>>
>>731433
>>731433
Like I said, you do what you want. Enjoy your static!
Thread posts: 197
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.