[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kilimanjaro

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

Hey /out/, so I've booked a trip to climb Kilimanjaro. It's scheduled for the summer, and I've got a while to prep for it. Has anyone climbed Kili, or any of the other seven summits, for that matter? I'm no hiking or climbing novice, but I'd love some first-hand stories or tips that might make the trip more enjoyable.
>>
>>723567
Also, the company I booked with said that the problem most people have is altitude sickness. Is there anything I can do to prepare for that besides just bringing some meds?
>>
>>723571
cardio. move slowly up the mountain. otherwise it's just up to your genetic predisposition to how you handle altitude.
>>
>>723567
bumping for interest.
It's very high on my bucket list to go climb Mount Kilimanjaro one day (:
I'd be very interested to hear others experiences with this mountain or others.
>>
Adam?
>>
Which peak?
>>
>>723567
I head from Africans that Kilimanjoro is shit, full of trash and tourists.
It's like Everest, the only reason assholes want to climb it is because it's the highest and most famous on the continent
There are other peaks in the range that no one climbs, but if you're into bragging, go for it
>>
>>723956
See, that's a bit gray for me, because I heard the same thing, but then when I did some more reading almost everyone said different things. There's more than a few routes to the highest peak though, so maybe some of the more well-travelled ones have shit everywhere. Also, when you say range, where are you referring to? Most of the maps I've looked at so far have shown Kili as a freestanding mountain.
>>
>>723956

I grew up in Tanzania and can vouch for this. Climbing Kili is a complete and utter rip off. The overcrowded, rubbish strewn tracks and extreme corruption will rob any sense of achievement from the experience. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
>>
>>723567

>Kilimanjaro
>Kiliman
>Kill a man

Kek have fun OP
>>
File: 1385416132979.png (34KB, 692x920px) Image search: [Google]
1385416132979.png
34KB, 692x920px
>>724229
Fuck, thats depressing. I already made the deposit though, so I guess I'll just go and hope for something decent. I'll make a thread when I get back about it, but for now I guess this thread is mountaineering general
>>
>>725039

Climb Mt Meru while you're there. It's a really nice hike with a lot less of the bullshit.

Also make sure you go to Via Via in Arusha on a Thursday night. It's a blast.
>>
>>725041
Sounds great, I'll check it out. Anyone else have suggestions like this? I've done a little research and I think I'm gonna try to make it out to a nearby crater while I'm there, just to explore and check out the wildlife.
>>
>>725197

Ngorongoro crater is great. Highly recommended Tarangire national park too. If you have time go to Kigoma and visit the chimpanzees too, you can fly there from Arusha small aircraft airport.
>>
File: mask-2.jpg (54KB, 872x362px) Image search: [Google]
mask-2.jpg
54KB, 872x362px
>>723571
Could get yourself one of those elevation training masks. My brother is military and he's said it made a huge difference for jumps and Arctic training so it could work for you but I have no idea how well or if they work from personal experience
>>
>>725039
>I'll make a thread when I get back
Please do
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.