[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Allotment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: allotments.png (129KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
allotments.png
129KB, 259x194px
About 2 months ago I bought an allotment for about £120, about 4x8 meters, it was cheap because it was completely overgrown

>pic not related, have no pics of it yet

Me and some family cleared it out and are in the process of cleaning up and digging out some planting areas

We're pretty much amateurs at this sort of thing, but we have sown radishes, cherry tomatoes, squashes, pumpkins, beans, and chilli among other things in our house, so we want some tips and advice.

Planting tips? General plant keeping?
Also general disscussion
>>
>>723563
Make sure to uproot any remains of previous owners plants, especially potatoes
If it was previously owned, of course
>>
>>723563

If you're planning to do regular (i.e. without a greenhouse) growing I'd advise for you to check the soil conditions and to see what kind of plants you can grow that will agree with your climate.
Cherry tomatoes, chillies and the like will almost certainly not survive a regular UK winter.
Personally I like growing stuff that's more or less local (like 'forgotten' vegetables) or easily adaptable to outside conditions.
>>
>>723596
If that's the case we have enough money for a small greenhouse to put those plants in
We were told the soil conditions and it should be good for what we're planting
>>
>>723600
Greenhouses are fine for light frost but anything really cold you need to heat it and it's a pain in the arse.

I'd recommend growing chillis, peppers, tomatoes etc in your garden in pots so you can bring them in if there is frost, and plant your potatoes, carrots, rhubarb, parsnips, beans etc in the allotment

4x8 metres sounds a reasonable size..
>>
>>723600

Well, if you've got the means to set up a small greenhouse and the soil is good you can pretty much grow whatever the fuck you want.
You can make it a vegetable patch, do a mini orchard with assorted fruit-bearing trees or try a mix of both.

Only thing you have to worry about is proper spacing between plants.
>>
>>723614
Spacing is pretty much covered, we're digging out the areas so that there is a small ditch between the where the water will collects, and we'll put boards over them for walking space

>>723611
It's probably bigger than 4x8 but I don't know the actual measurements, that's just what it looks like to a guy who barely knows how long a metre is
>>
Raised beds.
Lots of peas
>>
>>723647
hell yeh
>>
>>723563
I would suggest you start keeping a record calendar if you haven't already.

I note down on mine what I sow and when, as well as estimated harvest times. It helps me a lot in organising everything.

It's also a really good way of reviewing your gardening habits at the end of the year and figuring out optimal sowing times for your own area.
>>
>>723673
huh. surprised I didn't think of that, thanks
>>
>>723678
No probs, also have you thought about crop protection at all?

When I first started growing I never thought to protect my precious seedlings from pigeons and so they had most of my cabbages. Then butterflies layd eggs on the remainder and caterpillars finished them off.

Now I use horticultural fleece draped over fence wire hoops along the rows.

tldr; Animals are assholes.
>>
>>723563
see
>>719608

Learn to use the catalog: >>>/out/catalog
>>
>>724394
allotments are not mentioned once in that. that's farming
>>
>>724510
keep your gardening, farming, plant care, mushroom shit in one thread please, holy fuck you growfags are the worst
>>
>>724517
>>724394
I remember doing that once. He could just be new to the board you know
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.