[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 16

File: 1459012932938-374341252.jpg (835KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1459012932938-374341252.jpg
835KB, 2048x1152px
So this is a problem I have.
my gear is surplus and tacticool because price and function, other than that I don't care for the cammo stuff. However I find the neon shit they sale at most outdoor places repulsive. I get is high visibility for a reason but it's kind of a sore to my eyes when /out/.

I have never served in military and I don't want to look like a 3rd world guerrilla when out.

I think i want to mod the look of my pack, by dyeing it or spray paint it. I want it to be playful and maybe even cool to look at, this is my personality.
I don't want to pony it...
I don't want to lotr it...
Any sugestions, I like the look of punkish stuff cyber, steam etc.
In b4 larping.

Tldr. how to remove tacticoolness with paint and patches and shit.
Pic related. That's my shit.
>>
>>722592
That cammo is really effective on that carpet!
>>
>I don't want to look like a 3rd world gorilla
>I like the look of punkish stuff cyber, steam etc.

Pick 1.

Dye it hunter green faggot.
>>
>>722592
Why is that folding saw hovering above ground???
>>
Put a backpack rain cover on it... Done
>>
>>722592
>Any sugestions, I like the look of punkish stuff cyber, steam etc.
neckbeard +1
(stay in your neighboors backyard)
>>
>>722597
>hunter green
that's too tacticool.
>>
>>722768
Hmm ok. Or I can pretend like I'm an Explorer following well mapped and maintained trails in national parks. Or maybe go from village to village in some jungle in mexico. Even Mt Everest is a sort of park ride if you got the money for it.
/Out/ is not a lifestyle for me is something I enjoy doing during the weekends and long vacations. Sometimes I'm even social with people in the trails, sometimes I just go to the movies on the weekends...
>>
File: 10UUhQo.jpg (515KB, 822x792px) Image search: [Google]
10UUhQo.jpg
515KB, 822x792px
>>722793
>Or I can pretend like I'm an Explorer following well mapped and maintained trails in national parks. Or maybe go from village to village in some jungle in mexico. Even Mt Everest is a sort of park ride if you got the money for it.
do one of this with half the gear/equipment you own/need. voila. you unlocked the explorer archivment.
>>
File: DSC04360_zps7d74e34b.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04360_zps7d74e34b.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
I want to make my own oilskin tarp out of a California king bed sheet. Should I go with low thread cotton, high thread, Egyptian cotton, silk, satin, or wool? Weight isn't an issue as it will be for a semi-permanent shelter/fort I'm building on my land for hunting, but I would like it to pack down to a comfortable carrying size. I was thinking of high thread count Egyptian Cotton.
>>
>>722793
If you have not been there, you are exploring it. Therefore, you are an explorer.
>>
So, I own stanley cooking pot

>pic related

I have been debating between getting a trangia cook set or a propane stove for it, Any experience between the two stoves, and which one would be better for this pot?
>>
>>723240
Are you hiking or camping? Stoves are only useful for backpacking trips, where you don't have time to start a fire in the middle of the day to make lunch. If you're only hiking for 2-3 days then an alcohol or gas stove would be quick. But any longer of a trip and it's going to be heavy packing multiple fuel canisters or gas tanks. I'd get an Esbit Pocket Stove if you're packing for longer trips. They use solid fuel tablets that can be packed much smaller.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (32KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
32KB, 480x360px
>>723249
For no it will 2-3 day hiking, if I want to go something more long term would this be good choice?
>>
File: 1458750319350.jpg (29KB, 589x730px) Image search: [Google]
1458750319350.jpg
29KB, 589x730px
can i use it as a walkie talkie with around 4 people?
how?
>>
>>723249
confirmed for never actually going out, shilling, or owning nothing but a shitty esbit. Get a trangia or other alcohol stove man. Once you know what you're doing you'll know exactly how much alcohol, what size bottle etc you'll need to bring. Alcohol provides much better results and you can pack anything from 1 oz to multiple litres. Oh yeah and it can be found anywhere...
>>
>>722823
Why? I mean, aside from nostalgia and reenactments, oil tarps are obsolete. I'm not saying that you have to go full UL cuben, but even free Tyvek is better than oiled cotton in practically every regard.
>>
File: 0228161138.jpg (764KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
0228161138.jpg
764KB, 2048x1350px
>>723240
I use a 29 oz Libby pumpkin can as a biostove (fits a Stanley adventure pot perfectly) and a roll-top bottle stove with a round coke bottle filled with HEET as a backup (12 oz of HEET is about an hour of burn time). I also dremeled the latch on the Stanley so I can use the handle as a bail for open fire cooking (my preferred method).

Ignore the sterno stove also pictured. It's essentially useless for anything other than making tea.
>>
>>723412
I have that cook set, pretty awesome I usually leave behind everything but the bowl to save weight. Also I'm not sure if you're OP but I believe the high visibility thing and neon colors is important. Most of the time when an animal stacks it's when it becomes startled because it doesn't see you coming. These bright colors help define your outline in the woods and alert your presence to animals so they run off
>>
>>724278
Care to explain your stanley mod and the can as a bio stove?
>>
>>724278

I'm curious about the pot mod too. I've seen a lot of options online, but none of them look like good options.
>>
>>724242
buy 4 radios
illegally use them, or get each person a license
go to unused radio freq
profit
>>
>>724266

>I have a different opinion, so that means you never go out

Woah there commie, your millennial is showing.
>>
File: 1457110438842.gif (4MB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1457110438842.gif
4MB, 480x480px
What sort of pants do you guys wear when going /out/? Last time I went on a hike I wore jeans and it was miserable.
>>
File: EstwingHatchet.jpg (87KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
EstwingHatchet.jpg
87KB, 1600x1068px
Okay /out/ I may have fucked up. So I recently bought pic related (It's great btw) and after several uses it started accumlating brown marks and stains from the wood. I have been cleaning with WD40 after uses but the marks persisted. So I used my orbital sander with 150 grit to briefly once over the affected areas and it cleaned them up. My question is, in sanding my hatchet did I do a bad thing? Also any general advice on hatchet care is appreciated.
>>
>>727474

TAD Force 10 ACs. I'm a tacticool sperglord.
>>
>>727474

Cotton is rotten, anon.
>>
>>727689
As long as you didn't get the metal very hot, especially the edge, you are fine. If it starts to do the rainbow thing when you are grinding, its already too late. Sticking to files or sandpaper will prevent this from happening.
>>
>>727474
shorts, 24/7/365
and I live in northeast US. I fucking hate pants.
No shoes either if I can help it.
>>
File: texas_catheter.jpg (6KB, 286x176px) Image search: [Google]
texas_catheter.jpg
6KB, 286x176px
>>727941
>shorts
>northeast
don't forget your anti-tick protection then friend-of-the-family
>>
>>727938
thanks man
>>
>>728187

wait why the hell do I have a trip?
>>
>>728188
ah nevermind, april fools I guess
>>
File: 20130910_202526.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20130910_202526.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Do any of the home made alcohol stoves offer any advantage over a trangia other than being basically free?
>>
>>727474
Prana zion without zip offs
>>
Okay. So this is dumb but I can't figure it out.

I just bought my first ever tent. Assembled it fine. But I'm having trouble putting it back in the bag. No matter how I roll it it just won't fit. The bag has zero give so I can't just stuff it in there. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>728707

Yes, they might explode in your face, giving you wicked awesome scars. Chicks dig scars.

Nah man just get a trangia, they're cheap as and well made. Buy one and it will last you a lifetime. More fuel efficient too.
>>
>>729360

Take it back to the shop and they'll show you. Or if you look online there might be a manual / video on the website.
>>
>>726362
>>726944

i think he means he just replaced the plastic hinge on the lid (see right pot) with a metal keychainring (left pot) so it wouldn't melt in the fire
>>
>>729753
bought it online, and i've searched. nothing. but thank you.

>>728750
I've been thinking about buying softshell fleece ski pants. I've found a few for under 50$ and the reviews were great besides the sizing being fucked up. Anyone have any pants like these?
>>
>>730493

What's the make and model of your tent?
>>
I'm in south east Texas, and I'm looking for a good /out/ jacket. I don't need something to keep warm as much as something waterproof, breathable, and tough. Basically I need something to keep me dry and protect me from thorns, mosquitos, and such.
>>
>>722592

Wow you're such a sorry faggot

Also bright colors save your ass.

Outside nobody's there to get you. You're not some Call of Duty Special Forces operator on a mission and wearing a bright jacket can make the difference if someone needs help or you need rescue.
>>
>>731327
>>731327
Why you mad tho?
I am not a tctical operator operating operations innawoods you are right. This is why I'm trying to get rid of the look.
I'm also not hiking trough uncharted remote locations. It's not like I don't carry a good amount of reflective material, glow sticks and bright colored bandannas that I can put on my pack in case I get too far from the trails, my tent and sleeping bag and reflective blankets are all bright as hell too.
People will sometimes asume alot by the way your gear looks. Like I said on my other post, I'm not an autistic antisocial druid when in out and I care about unnecessarily limiting my aproachability.

I bet you carry your rape whistle everywhere right? I only carry mine when /out/ desu.

The truth is that the reaction you had about special forces shit is what I'm trying to avoid.
I've had people sperg out like you did in your post and I really would like to avoid triggering your kind while /out/

I guess I'm using outdoor spray paint. Matte white and red rarget, probably some dark brown and gold accents. Probably a patch or two. Maybe a gym badge.

>>
>>728707
wick type alcohol stoves like the fancy feast stove work better in cold weather.
>>
I just bought a £10 tarp that isn't specifically designed for /out/. Will this do? What else do I need to make a tarptent out of it? Cord? Poles? Pegs?
>>
>>732377
yes
>>
>>722592
As a former Marine, if I saw you wear that pack I would never have thought you were former military. Nor would I care.

>steampunk
full retard.

If you want to make it look less tacticool
though, cut off the molle and wrap reflective neon tape around your handles. That will give you the visibility feature.

If you dont want to make your backpack look like shit, you said like "cyber punk"
(kek) so just save up your money for a sleek techwear looking backpack. Go to /fa/ for this one. They like techwear.
>>
>>732381
What is the bare minimum i need to make a shelter out of my new tarp
>>
>>732423

Lie under it. That's the bare minimum.
>>
>>732386
>As a former Marine
Once a marine, always a marine.
>>
>>732527
Yeah well now I dont have to shave, get haircuts and be a miserable cunt
>>
>>732518
Comfortable tarp tent then
>>
>>732386
Not really worried about actual military people, but God damn you fucks got some crazy fan boys.
I mean cool that you served, probably got to shoot some amazing weapons and be in situations that brought the best/worst in you. You probably an okay human bean too.
I'm actually digging some of the molle, sience I do strap shit to it. I may cut a few off.
I live in the south and like every fucking body i got some family and friends that did some service, and like everyone i know a few militia wannabe antiguvmnt types that I would like to not be identified with.
I'm going to buy a shemag. Lol
>>
>>732603

A stick then.
>>
>>732603
sleeping pad, mat, water, cooking pot, spoon, food, scotch, pocket knife and lighter.
>>
Is there such thing as a tent that packs very small?

I've seen and used my fair share of tents, and even the small little buggers have packaging as long as my leg.

Price and weight are not an issue. Volume most certainly is.
>>
>>733694

Yeah that's the issue that I'm facing at the moment too. Even the UL tents that are hundreds of dollars require poles of some description. There's always hammocks, but if you don't want to do that then I'd say your best bet is a tarp and bivy bag.

At the moment I'm looking into getting a usgi poncho and liner and just using that with a tarp for shelter. Packs down small, is lightweight and poncho does double duty.
>>
File: 1440095553075.png (394KB, 631x627px) Image search: [Google]
1440095553075.png
394KB, 631x627px
How do I go camping for the first time by myself as a poorfag

I tried to get some /out/ appropriate clothes but milsurp place didn't have anything for me because I have fucking stupid proportions because I'm a lanky 6'1 girl

I got a cheapo jansport backpack from thrift store though. And some sunglasses and a flashlight from walmart. I don't really know what else to get though

I still want to get
>budget tent
>budget sleeping bag
>boots of some sort
>jacket or hoodie maybe
>a knife for knife things which I'm not sure what
>compass

So advice for where to get those would be nice
>>
>>733848
Ok then, it’ll help if you state a bit more details, like where you gonna go, for how long, what season and your planned activities ( car camping? hiking? Etc.) Also, whats your budget?

>budget tent
Really depends on where you are going.

>budget sleeping bag
That’s the thing I personally would splurge on (within the limitations of your budget), having a good night’s sleep is important, also get a sleeping pad, they insulate you from the ground.

>boots of some sort
Depending on your area and activities, most of the time you can get away with some trekking sneakers, but some terrain demands boots.

>jacket or hoodie maybe
Keep the layer principle in mind, because if you hike with a pack you need to adapt to the weather. Base layer(s), Insulation layer (here is your jacket) and shell layer (rain/wind). Normally you should be fine with a medium weight fleece and a beanie.

>a knife for knife things which I'm not sure what
Honestly, a swiss army knife will cover all your needs (opening cans, cutting some strings, whittle a peg) , it is not like you have to compensate for a small dick.

>compass
A good map and the ability to read it is the prerequisite for using a compass. In fact, being able to read a topo map is more important than having a compass. If you still need one, get a Silva field or one of the cheaper Brunton models, they will do fine.
>>
>>733848

>6'1 grill
post pics

I'm also a poorfag at the moment and I can tell you that you definitely don't need to spend a lot of money to have a good /out experience, as long as you have the basics. The key is knowing what the basics are and knowing what you can/can't save money on. Also it depends on the weather. It's summer in Aus and that makes things heaps easier.

Here's what I've done so far.

Budget tent: I got one from Kmart for $12 and it did the job. Didn't come with a fly though so would be shit in bad weather. Found it bulky and shit to carry. I've since spent some money on a good tarp (Auscam Australian issue "hoochie" tarp) and I would recommend that instead. Fucking TOP quality shit with loops and grommits. You can pair it with a cheapo tarp to use as a ground mat or you can use the hoochie as a bivi with a sleeping bag inside.

Sleeping bag: Again, from Kmart. Does the job. Will upgrade later. Thinking about getting a USGI poncho and liner instead, as the poncho can do double duty.

Jacket or hoodie: just get a cheap polyester fleece. Anything except cotton. Don't get sucked in to thinking you need to buy expensive out clothes. You do if you're going mountaineering, but not for a bit of casual camping.

Boots: bought a cheapie pair of joggers from kmart that I can wreck and not care about. That way I can take my time finding nicer boots, and wait until they're on sale.

1/2
>>
>>733848

2/2
Knife: Get a stainless steel Mora companion. Cheap but great quality. Don't worry about all this battoning shit, you won't be cutting down any trees. Stainless steel because it won't rust on you if you don't use it for a while. Make sure you get a sharpener at some point. I would recommend a lansky blade medic (cheap) or a Fallkniven DC4 (cheapish but brilliant)

Compass: I got a $10 baseplate model from ebay. Get one with a positioning mirror if it's in your budget. Didn't think I would need it but it definitely helps me go the right way when I get to trail intersections. Also, print off some topo maps to use just in case. And *learn about compass declination*. I just use my phone to navigate mostly but you absolutely must have a map and compass in case your phone dies.

You also must have a water purification method. Cheapest is tablets, but longer term solution is the Sawyer mini. It's about $30 I think in the US and will last you forever.

Finally, don't forget about having something to cook with. Literally anything labelled 'mess kit' will do, as long as it has a pot with a handle that you can put on the fire at minimum. You might want to look into getting a cheap little alcohol burner as well, but that's up to you.

Hope all that helps. I'm reasonably new to /out and also a poorfag and so I just want to encourage everyone as I've been having an awesome time. There's a lot of talk (ie. arguments) about gear on here so it's easy to get trapped into thinking that you need every last bit of kit and the best of the best brands but you really can have an awesome time with not much stuff. Oh, and make sure you check it all fits in your bag a couple of days before you go lol
>>
>>733911

PS I use a mora companion as well as a swiss army knife. I would agree with the other anon that they are very useful to have around camp.
>>
File: uYyy0.gif (2MB, 1067x720px) Image search: [Google]
uYyy0.gif
2MB, 1067x720px
>>733848
>lanky 6'1 girl
>>
if mora was a girl what would she look like
>>
File: 259084.jpg (59KB, 355x450px) Image search: [Google]
259084.jpg
59KB, 355x450px
>>733929
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.