[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BACKPACKING GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 48

File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Hey /out/ so I checked the catalog and noticed there are over 10 threads right now somehow related to backpacking. In an effort to condense all these threads down I am going to start making one of these every week or so to help get people to post their questions in one place.

I realize I am currently adding to the problem in the short term. My hope however is that over time people will recognize the thread and come to it to post questions rather than make a new thread.

So without further ado let's hear it, planning a thru hike? Need help with picking a new pack? Want to discuss gear? This is the place.

I'll start off with a gear load out I posted a few weeks ago in a thread. Took one posters advice and reduced the size of the duck tape by wrapping it around cardboard. Further suggestions welcome and appreciated!
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>720904
Aaaand my pack, the Gregory baltoro 65
Tent: big Agnes mtnglo 2
Sleeping bag: Kelty cosmic down 21 degree bag
Sleeping pad: thermarest trail pro
>>
>>720904

I saw somewhere on the web a mention of a survey that was done where they asked AT thru hikers about their gear and then analysed the results. Anybody know where to find it?

>Yes I've already tried googling it
>>
>>720930
Haven't heard of that but try the website outdoorgearlab.com

They do super in depth product reviews and such so there may be something on there
>>
>>720930

It literally took me 1 Google search.

http://appalachiantrials.com/appalachian-trail-thru-hiker-resources-2/appalachian-trail-thru-hiker-gear-list/
>>
>>720942
That doesn't look like what he was talking about
>>
>>720942
Kinda hilarious how they have 9 dollar titanium spoon listed right next to a Wendy's frosty spoon lol

Do u really have to spend a fortune to go ultra lite ? 400 dollar tents for a 2 lb tent seems crazy, I know your paying for the tech but if it's lighter that means less durable and less material right
>>
>>721006

Lighter usually means higher quality more durable lighter material.
>>
>>721006
Yeah, it generally does mean less durable. Most people don't backpack enough to really require indestructible ultra-heavy mil surp gear. My friend did the PCT with a UL Big Agnes Copper Spur tent. 150 nights in the backcountry, all kinds of terrain, looks good as new. Most casual backpackers will never spend that many nights in a tent in their entire lives.

He's probably used it 200+ nights by now. Cost comes out to less than $2.50 per night, I'm guessing it was around $500 tent. Worth it if you backpack a lot.
>>
>>720942

I'm not surprised that it only took you literally 1 google search to find exactly what I was not talking about.
>>
File: 069.jpg (9KB, 217x232px) Image search: [Google]
069.jpg
9KB, 217x232px
>>720904
>Hey guys there are too many backpacking threads. To fix that, here's another backpacking thread.
>>
>>721026

We could always use some more shitposting though.
>>
>>721026

Those gear lists are compromised of articles, forum posts, and surveys done and are updated each year you fucking retard.

>hiking the AT
>has never heard of appalachiantrials.com/
>>
>>720909
Tell me about the Baltoro. I'm looking for a new pack in the 55-65 liter range, and Gregory packs always seem to be on sale somewhere.
>>
you guys

this tent is 30$ and weighs just under 3lbs

http://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Lightweight-Person-Camping-Backpacking/dp/B00VURAIWM/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1458840771&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=backpacking+tent&psc=1

For 100$ I can get a better quality tent but they're all like 5lbs and the reviews on the 30$ tent are decent.

Yes I need a 2 person. what do I buy?
>>
>>721037
>http://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Lightweight-Person-Camping-Backpacking/dp/B00VURAIWM/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1458840771&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=backpacking+tent&psc=1

I wouldn't ever sleep in that tent unless it was a really warm night. I like tents that are mostly mesh so the condensation drips off of the rain fly instead.
>>
>>721037
It doesn't look like it packs down very small, which means it could be very annoying/uncomfortable when strapped to the outside of a pack. Single wall tents are prone to condensation problems, especially in warmer weather, and this is an even bigger problem with 2 people in the tent.

For $30 and less than 3 pounds, though, it seems like a good deal. It just depends on your usage.
>>
>>721026
I addressed that in the OP I apologize but like I said I'm hoping over time this will help. I had to post it sometime and as there is always a backpacking thread what better time than now

>>721036
I took it on its maiden voyage a few weeks ago, was itching to get out even though it's still freezing here. First thoughts are

Pros:
1. It's extremely comfy, no pain because the padding is huge
2. Huge main pocket, love it
3. Compression is great, the load feels very stable
4. Just the right amount of pockets for me

Cons:
1. It's a little heavy the large comes in at like 6 lbs
2. In reality you can only use half the space of the side pockets when the pack is loaded
3. The load lifter straps are sometimes awkward

Overall my first impression was immensely positive, very durable pack that seems like it will hold up for years which is exactly what I wanted
>>
>>721014
Yeah I guess when you put it that way it's a lot cheaper than a hotel lol, it's held up pretty well though ? Does he use a footprint or anything?
>>
>>721039

>>721041

Can you guys tell me what to get then?

I need a 2 person tent and have 100$ to spend. I live in California and probably won't ever do snow camping or anything too hairy.

Also, planning to get 2 of those reflective sleeping pads. Is that enough for a sleep system? I should pack a tarp to place the tent on as well, right?
>>
>>721053
Check out ALPS mountaineering they have some decent tents in your price range
>>
>>721053
http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/tents-sleeping-bags-and-more

They have several 2- and 3-person tents under $120, though I didn't see any for under $100.

What kind of reflective pads are we talking about? You can use something as simple as blue foam yoga mats in warm weather, you just won't be super comfortable on rough ground.

For putting something under the tent, it really isn't necessary if you pick a good campsite. You can get by without it, though there are plenty of options for tent "footprints," which is the proper term for what you're looking for. That site I linked has many available.
>>
>>721045
>2. In reality you can only use half the space of the side pockets when the pack is loaded
My current cheapo Teton backpack has the same issue and it drives me crazy. I guess theoretically I could distribute the load in the main compartment differently in order to take pressure off the sides, but that isn't always possible.
>>
>>721060
Pad:

http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Thermal-Reflective-Olive-Sleeping/dp/B00ET42MLS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458843384&sr=8-2&keywords=thermal+sleeping+pad

People say you can sleep on the foil side if it gets cold else sleep on the green side for comfort alone. A 3lb tent has got to have next-to-none insulation and comfort. Do you guys just get a nice sleeping bag and say fuck the pad or do you guys take pads backpacking?
>>
>>721065
Yeah you shouldn't have to compromise the main compartment though for a side pocket that's gonna hold bug spray or something. my pad is huge and has to go inside so I have no choice. I essentially just consider the bottom part non existent or put something tiny I don't need to access down there like zip ties or whatever works
>>
>>721071
I always take a pad just cause you never know. sometimes you'll find a nice soft green area to sleep other times you might be stuck on hard rock. It provides extra insulation too so it'll help keep you warm
>>
File: large.jpg (38KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
38KB, 600x450px
>>720904
Plan on hiking from winter park to empire through fall river, gonna shoot some slavshit while up there.
Who else here /colorado/?
What are your favorite hikes?

Pic related. Gonna come up through thick forest on the other side of those mountains, and take to mosin out to 300m. Come down, fish in the lake, camp by the shore, then go to the south through the hills. After around 2-3 nights, you get ice cream in empire.
>>
>>721071
I always take a pad, but I take an inflatable one for comfort and breathability. The pad you're planning to buy won't be very breathable, but it will keep your backside warmer than sleeping on the ground and it's cheap. It's a good budget choice.

Since you said you're in California and will presumably be camping in favorable temperatures, that pad should be fine. It won't be as comfortable as an inflatable, but it will get the job done.

For max coziness, get a Big Agnes sleeping bag with an integrated pad sleeve. Pricey, but it's the best combination I've found.
>>
>>721098
You lucky bastard, I want to move out there but I don't want to be another one of the hurr durr legal weed people immigrating and shitting up the place
>>
File: hqdefault (7).jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (7).jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>721106
as long as you let me keep muh funs youre welcome here.
Its mainly hippie Californians, but they dont actually bother me too much because they go "/out/" by walking down a friendly trail their prius can reach 20 minutes from their house.
Fall river is my sanctuary. The road getting directly in is too rocky for small cars, and the way to get in from the main road involves at least 5 hours of hiking through woods without trail and over a mountain.
Also all the rednecks who come up to convert to full auto and let loose by the lake is perfect repellent. The gunshots dont hurt the feeling of sanctuary, surprisingly.
Pic related, where to get a malt after 3 days without a trail
>>
>>721108
Damn that sounds awesome, ya I'm not the hippie type, I don't think I'd shit up the place but I hate being on the bandwagon. I don't think my GF wants to leave her cushy job either so it may just be a dream for now. That sounds like a nice little spot, mad jelly man post more pics if u got em
>>
File: Eldorado_Canyon.jpg (619KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Eldorado_Canyon.jpg
619KB, 1600x1200px
>>721113
Not my pics mate.
If you ever stop by, head up to eldo and climb the bastille. Best 5.10 trad in the country imo
>>
>>721117
Oh still awesome.p nonetheless, I'll have to remember that, hoping to take s vacation there this summer if I can afford
>>
File: out.png (4MB, 1198x2539px) Image search: [Google]
out.png
4MB, 1198x2539px
bringing it back to the packs.
>>
>>721143
Nice setup mate, what pack is that? Looks extremely similar to my baltoro but I don't see side pockets so it must be something else. Also how is that Knorr stuff ? See it posted often as a cheap alternative to mountain house and such
>>
>>721149

thanks, the backpack is a 'me°ru Hudson' 70l. It's from a famous german outdoor-supplier's (Globetrotter) own brand.
I like it because it fits my back well and it is light. The fabric is a little thin though.
It fell into a gap between a rock and some ice in Iceland fully packed and survived with a few scratches
I glued those scratches before they could grow into fissures, so nothing big.

I don't know mountain house but I really like the Knorr meals, they're relatively tasty, lightweight and easy to prepare. Only have to boil like 300ml of water, put the stuff in and keep it boiling 4 minutes or so and it's ready, so it's easy to prepare on a Trangia gas cooker (or a fire that doesn't really want to start). The sizes are also okay I think, adding one or two slices of bread to it rounds it up well.
>>
>>721187
I'll have to check out the brand, sounds pretty durable if it survived an accident like that Haha

Mountain house is s brand of freeze dried meals in the states, Knorr is like a pasta dish if I remember correctly yea? Do you just pour the boiling water in and seal? Or boil the entire contents itself ?
>>
>>721243
Yes, they're almost all pasta, but many dofferent varieties as one can vaguely see prom the picture. I just checked the instructions again: so for most you need half a liter of water, make that boil, fill the entire content of the bag into the water and let it boil for another five minutes (time varies with some different sorts).
It will just suck up the water basically and you have your nice meal.
Thats all.

The backpack brand is a relatively cheap one but for the price they make some really good products. I'm still thinking my next one might be one of the Fjällräven backpacks. They're kind of a meme but the fabric is pretty strong and when waxed pretty watertight from what i know.
That incident in Iceland (fall was about 8 m) has changed my focus a lot on fabric.
But if it comes to a lightweight fabric that can take a beating this one was unexpectedly good, the guy in the helicopter also couldn't believe the backpack made it in one piece.
>>
>>721260
Oh ok yeah so it's essentially the same, I'll have to check those out and see if they're any good

I see that fjallraven stuff posted on here a lot but don't have any experience with it , ya I looked on their website, 99 euros for a pack is a pretty good deal
>>
File: YY5iDFl.jpg (163KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
YY5iDFl.jpg
163KB, 640x640px
Anyone know of boots that are like this?
>>
>>721304
What movie is that from?
>>
File: snake boot.jpg (51KB, 264x471px) Image search: [Google]
snake boot.jpg
51KB, 264x471px
>>721304
Snake boots
>>
>>721321
that's a candid photo of typical new yorkers taken in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks anon
>>
>>721359
I feel like you might be lying
>>
>>721321

you can find out in two clicks

click the little arrow by the post number, image search>>, then google
>>
>>721368
Wow k never even noticed that was there until just now, thanks anon
>>
>>721358
Not those though. Any Vaprtrek is comfortable as fuck but about as sturdy as shoes made of marshmallows.
>>
>>721358

I'm talking about the buckle straps and MOLLE though.
>>
Can someone rec me a good sleeping bag that's around...

>$200 or cheaper
>2 lbs or lighter
>30 degree rated or warmer
?

I'm strongly considering the Sierra Designs Zissou 23 sleeping bag, which I can grab for about $150.
>>
>>721379
Nope, maybe try /fa/.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 395x550px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 395x550px
>>721384
Mountain hard wear hyperlamina.. Probably as close as your gonna get to checking all those boxes
>>
>>720904
GG anon, a backpacking general would be great

what do you have in the large bags?
>>
>>721473
Contents are listed in the second post with the backpack. Its my sleep system mostly + in the bottom right a packed down primaloft jacket
>>
>>721495
thanks anon, it's my fault I should have realized the second post was yours as well
>>
>>721503
All good bro I kinda fucked up the picture so it's hard to tell , not sure why it posts sideways it's right side up in my camera roll
>>
>>721384
>>721402
I have the Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z Spark. I really enjoy it, but it's rated 34 degrees.

Go to the REI garage sale and pick up a really nice bag for $100
>>
>>721551
Hmm that's not bad either, a lot less expensive and only marginally heavier than what i recommended. Temp difference is negligible too
>>
File: CdSZaqoUsAAz_aH.jpg (79KB, 600x611px) Image search: [Google]
CdSZaqoUsAAz_aH.jpg
79KB, 600x611px
My Mom and 2 Sisters are coming to visit me this Summer. (I'm from Virginia, moved to Minnesota). I want to take them out backpacking for a night or two, but they have no equipment and I have no spare. Can I buy them gear from REI or some place, use it once, then return it after they go home?
>>
>>721586
Yeah but you can probably just rent it too. Kinda a shitty thing to do, but you obviously dont friggin give a heck
>>
>>721586
As long as you hang on to your receipt and don't completely trash the gear they can't really refuse your return. However many places offer gear rentals, which may be a better choice seeing as you won't have to put down as much money upfront
>>
I have a 20$ walmart tier tent, its full nylon and very little air flow inside it, also i tested it on rain and it took water like a shower. Problem is im really poor in these days and going a thru hiking with friends in few weeks. So should i take my chance or i would be dead?
>>
>>722435

Just buy a tarp and cordage and bushcraft it.
>>
>>722435
Ya idk if you want to fuck around with that you may be better off with less in this case if you really don't have the money. A shitty tent like that is going to leave you soaked because the moisture can't escape.

Like>>722436
Said you may be better off with just a tarp and some ingenuity. you can rig it to protect you from wind and rainfall but it will also breathe because it's open, just bring lots of bug repellant and make a fire before bed
>>
>>720904
What the shit is duck tape?

>only 1 sock
shiggy diggy
>>
>>722545
Also a tarp is probably a lot lighter then That Walmart tent
>>
File: 4825869676_070db10fd5_b.jpg (367KB, 1024x509px) Image search: [Google]
4825869676_070db10fd5_b.jpg
367KB, 1024x509px
Hey guys,
Planning to go on a quick overnight backpacking trip starting on the Mineral King Road Trail up to Hamilton Lakes in Sequoia National Park.
Any tips, good trail maps to refer to, etc?
Thanks
>>
>>722561
Duck tape and duct tape are both technically correct, also the clothes pictured aren't comprehensive I usually carry the following

2x athletic boxers
2x smart wool socks
leggings and upper base layer
Running shorts
sweatpants
Rain pants
Fleece
Synthetic primaloft down jacket
Rain coat
Gloves+ hat

And maybe a few other things depending on the conditions
>>
>>722564
I can't really lend any advice specific to that park since I'm on the opposite side of the country in New York and I've never been. That looks fucking awesome though hope you have s good time
>>
>>722572
F'sho. Thanks.
>>
>>722436
>>722545
>>722563
Well yeah but im not really experienced with tarps, actually i never been in them, i might be go with tarp but what about some Decathlon tents? Which is around 50$
>>
>>722697
REI makes a bunch of decent tents for backpacking and they go on sale/ can be found on sale a lot.
I just got the passage 1 and I'm pretty happy with it.
>>
>>722561
>duck tape
brand name of duct tape.
>>
>>722752

Read the wiki article, retard. Duck was the original name, due to the duck cloth backing. Either is fine. Nobody cares.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape
>>
>>720904
What's in the bag above the bug spray?
>>
>>722981
Not sure which one your referring to but the one to the right is just a map of my fav national forest, the one to the left is an emergency firekit... Matches, lighter, steel, tinder, and a fire stick
>>
>>722713
Yeah their tents seems good but problem is im from europe and balkans, which means price gonna be doubled with shipping and customs and really low wages, long story short, i have to work 10 hour a day for like one and half month for a 130$ tent on rei.
>>
>>722697
http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.htm
>>
>>723047
Yeah it must be the map. It's got black lines on it. Just wasn't sure.
>>
>>721055
I just purchased the mystique 1.0 for 90$. Seems big enough for you and a qt to sleep in no problems.

I'm excited to take it out and see how she holds up.
>>
>>723386
Looks pretty cozy, won't break your back at lbs or your wallet at $100 bucks, good find
>>
>>723402
3 lbs*
>>
Going to Colorado this July with some family and we're planning on stopping in East Colorado and making our way across to West Colorado. When we fish we plan on just making a base camp with a large tent and going off with small tents or hammocks so we aren't really weighed down and are able to keep moving down stream if fishing is bad. What's a great bag for for carrying tackle and the other misc supplies I'll need for this like soap, clothes and boots? ($<85 if possible) thanks guys.
>>
>>723402
Thanks. I don't really use tents because I have a hammock and tarp and I have limited space in my bag but would it be worthwhile to rig it in a small bag and keep the poles strapped to the outside of my bag? I really don't want another bag hanging off my sack if I can help it ya know? At that point I might as well just get a bigger bag and I don't really want to do that just yet seeing as I don't solo often and I never get the time off to do more than two nights in the woods at one period.

I bought some adjustable molle straps so maybe with that I can keep it tight to the outside without a lot of swaying but I'm just trying to keep my options open. It's a new season so I'm excited to get back out there again.
>>
>>724286
Yeah I typically keep my tent and poles seperate. The body is light enough to strap to the outside or you can just stuff it in the main body of your pack. Then ill usually put the poles in a side pocket that will compress and hold them right against the main body.

I know how ya feel it sucks I work full time too at a job that barely let's me take off so whenever I happen to get two days off in a row I try to do something.
>>
>>724463
Nice.

Yeah dude. And not to mention I don't drive so planning a trip anywhere nice is hard to do because I have to rely on people going and more than not they usually flake out last minute and I'm stuck at home wasting my weekend away.
>>
>>723764
I don't know how far you plan on hiking from camp but $85 isn't going to get you much in the way of a modern backpack, I would maybe look at milsurp if its a one time use sort of thing
>>
File: image.jpg (104KB, 768x571px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104KB, 768x571px
Thinking about planning a trip to Rocky Mountain national park in CO with the girlfriend. I Want to hike the CDNST "long loop". It's about 30 miles / 4 days. Anyone ever hiked it or k ow anyone who has? I know it's high altitude and you need a permit but any other tips or experiences would be appreciated.
>>
Is the "ENO CamoLink XL Hammock Shelter System with Camo XL Hammock Tent" a decent hammock? Reviews?
>>
File: KIMG0100.jpg (3MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0100.jpg
3MB, 1836x3264px
Does anyone have any reccomendations for dog beds in the back country? I use a bivy that my 45lb heeler won't climb in. She snuggles up but in noticeably cold when the temp gets below freezing. I was thinking of rigging up half an old sleeping bag with some tent poles to give her a little den. Any thoughts?
>>
>>726170
Maybe just one of those thermarest eggshell mats, it'll keep him/her warmer than a dog bed. maybe a blanket as well to throw over the pooch? Not sure if there's anything actually on the market for your purposes
>>
>>726123
overpriced but just fine
>>
>>726170
A thin wool blanket is really all you'd need
>>
>>726197
This. I brought a cheap fleece throw from home as my only cover on a brisk morning. My dachshund laid on top of me and he and I were fine. So a wool blanket will keep your dog fucking toasty.
>>
File: KIMG0099.jpg (3MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0099.jpg
3MB, 1836x3264px
>>726187
>>726205

Thanks, I'm trying to figure something out that she can pack. Last week we were out and the temp got below freezing. She won't go in my bivy, I may spring for a tent if nothing else will work
>>
>>726222
Cute dog man I wish I had enough space and I would adopt one in an instant to take /out/ with me. Yeah idk certain dogs are more acclimated to the cold obviously like huskies, not sure about your breed. I think that at minimum though a blanket should keep em comfy, they're a little better than humans in the cold
>>
File: 20140824_164030.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20140824_164030.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>726228

She's a trooper for sure. This is her after an 11 mile hike with her pack on.
>>
>>726240
Hahahsh passed the fuck out, that's far for a dog she's a trooper for sure
>>
>>726170
Just noticed the collar is rope, genius, dual function and the dog carries the weight
>>
>>726355

I went through a paracord phase, made a ton of stuff out of it.
>>
Are bassets okay to take /out/ for a backpacking trip? Don't want to push him too hard. Pic related
>>
File: 801421_BLAK_Kingpin_web.jpg (24KB, 472x425px) Image search: [Google]
801421_BLAK_Kingpin_web.jpg
24KB, 472x425px
I need help picking out gloves that are waterproof, have rope handling utility and I can sleep in as well for camping/backpacking(if the situation calls for it.) No budget. I was looking at these by Black Diamond that run for 70.
>>
>>726170
This thing called a "noblecamper" dog bed looks pretty good. Synthetic down. Packs down smaller than a sleeping bag. Make the dog carry it
>>
>>726459
I was gonna recommend d just some regular ski gloves but if money's not an object just get the black diamond gloves. They're a quality brand everything they make is top notch
>>
File: quechua-tarp-khaki.jpg (53KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
quechua-tarp-khaki.jpg
53KB, 800x800px
It's getting warmer outside so I thought I'd try this tarp thing you guys are crazy about all the time...

Chose this:
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Quechua-Tarp/43

it's pretty cheap (costs around 20 eur / 25 usd in my country), comes with own poles, but I'm probably gonna ditch them and use trek poles instead. Reviews are pretty good...

Yay or nay?
>>
>>720904
Nice setup
>>
>>726643

It's a good deal if it comes with the poles
>>
>>726671
Thanks, I'm itching to get out, it's finally warm enough I just need my job to give me a couple of days off in a row
>>
Once my I get my tax return I'll have 1500 dollars. I already have an old external frame backpack, I think it's 20 years old but it's lightly used. I also have boots. So all I'll need to buy is food and a tent or a hammock. I haven't decided. I've lost my job and my license just got suspended for 3 months. I've decided to forsake society in order to descend into the woods until I run out of money. In other words I've been kicked out of my moms basement. Anyway, I think I'll be entering the Appalachian trail near Linden off of va 66 in one week. I wonder if the trail will be crowded yet.
>>
>>721304
viking gtx hunter
>>
>>726857
What do you plan on doing when the money runs out ?
>>
Does anyone know if the stanley adventure pot, ikea hobo stove, and gsi cup will nest together?
>>
I'm hiking the PCT with very minimal gear and while weighing everything out I realized that my backpack is nearly three pounds! I'm seriously considering taking a standard jansport school bag and adding loops for my bed roll and an inside pocket for my water bladder. It wouldn't have a hip belt, but I only have six pounds of base weight (excluding the backpack). What do you sc/out/s think?
>>
>>726956

I would think that a hip belt helping to stabilize the load and putting more of it on your hips would be worth the extra weight of the pack.
>>
>>721071
Radiant heat requires distance in order to be reflected. The foil side ALWAYS goes down, so there's a layer of insulation between you and the foil.
>>
>>722567
Actually Duck is a brand of ducting tape. Much the same way that band-aid is a brand of adhesive bandages and Sterno is a brand of chafing gel.
>>
>>726942
The whole point of a Biostove as opposed to just an open fire, is that a Biostove directs heat up and around your pot. All those holes in the Ikea thing will lose heat. I use a 29oz pumkin/tomato can with a few holes near the bottom for air. Nests perfectly with a Stanley adventure kit. The MSI, I think would best go on a nalgene if you need to carry both. I one pot cook to keep weight down.
>>
>>726968

Does the fuel still get enough air flow? What do you use for a pot stand/stove stand? I have a bushbox and I'm unimpressed with it's performance.
>>
>>726958
Then does anyone know of a light and small backpack (school bag size) that has a hip belt? My next move would be to take my good bag and start cutting off unnecessary straps and liners and whatnot.
>>
>>726973

I don't think you're going to find much under three pounds unless you're looking to drop a bunch of cash on an ultralight pack.
>>
>>726972
You know those triangle punch type can-openers? The ones the work great for juice cans but not chili? Six punches around the bottom will do the trick, just don't pack too much wood in and it'll breathe. I don't use a stand, I take a handful of mixed-size twigs the length of my hand's width and set them in vertically with a little twist and set the Stanley directly on top of that. As the wood burns down, it shifts a little, but it also stays directly above the flames.
>>
>>726978
I may just make one.
>>
>>726942
I dont have the stanley, but the GSI cup fits inside one of those ikea stoves with space around it
>>
>>726979

That might be the kind of setup I'm interested in. Any reccomendations for putting a bail on the stanley pot? Google searches have given me less than ideal options.
>>
>>726983
I've posted it here before, but yeah I've got a bail on mine for open fire cooking. I used a dremel tool to cut a groove mid-way between the open and closed grooves in the lock mech.
>>
File: 0330161706.jpg (604KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
0330161706.jpg
604KB, 2048x1350px
>>726984
Here a picture with the handle removed and some paper for contrast. If the handle fits well, it'll hold the weight when it's full.
>>
>>726984

Do you have any pictures?
>>
>>726991
Yes... >>726989
Did you need a different angle or anything?
>>
>>726989

Thanks, any insight as to why my bushbox has performed so abysmally?
>>
File: Appalachian-Trail-Barbie.jpg (97KB, 675x445px) Image search: [Google]
Appalachian-Trail-Barbie.jpg
97KB, 675x445px
Need your help /out/.

Doing 12 days solo on the AT starting at Springer Mtn. at the end of this month and want to make sure I've got all my bases covered.

Pack
-Osprey Atmos 65 AG

Shelter/sleep
-Sierra Madre Pares hammock
-Sierra Madre Nube hammock shelter
-Marmot 30 degree bag
-Surplus GI poncho liner (shelter insulation)

Clothing
-2 pairs of Smartwool socks
-3 synthetic bamboo blend LS shirts
-2 pairs synthetic panths (zip off)
-1 pair synthetic shorts
-2 pairs ExOfficio boxer briefs
-1 fleece pullover
-1 mid weight rain jacket/windbreaker
-1 beanie/watch cap

Question on footwear. I have a pair of Keen Tarhegee mid ankle boots that are waterproof and a pair of low top Merrell MOABs not waterproof, not sure what to bring.

Gear
-Trekk poles
-3L hydration bladder
-Sawyer inline water filter
-2 1L Nalgene Bottles
-1 Headlamp
-Extra Batteries for HL
-1 Fixblade knife
-1 Compass/Map
-1 Firestarter and 2 Bic lighters
-1 Bug Spray
-1 roll Duct tape/mole skin for blisters
-1 small first aid kit
-1 Garden trough
-1 box baby wipes (ass wipe/whores baths)

Food
12 MREs
12 Clif builder bars
(6 ea. coming with initially, 6 ea. at halfway point)
>>
>>727021
I assume you're foregoing a stove since you have the MRES, do you have rope/ hang bags? What will you do with your food?

i would maybe go with the higher boots for a longer hike, more chances to sprain an ankle And they're waterproof so yeah.
>>
>>727013
From the pictures I've seen online, it looks like even a light wind would push the heat out one of the many vent holes. Or it could be the wood you're using. I'd recommend punching a few holes in any random soup can and trying it out. If you find you like the way it burns, pick up a 29oz can of something and make a good one. I've also found that American spirit loose tobacco comes in a similar size can if you know someone who rolls their own cigarettes. Probably some coffee tins would be the right size, too. Just make sure that if you get anything plastic coated, that you keep a bit of distance the first time you burn it. You don't want that shit coating your lungs.
>>
>>727057

Thanks, soup cans are a cheap investment so I'll play around with a few. I'll probably try rigging something up for my trangia too.
>>
>>727021
If you're going to have a poncho liner, I'd use a poncho instead of typical rain gear. In fact, I am taking a poncho on the PCT this year (DIY tyvek). You might even drop the shelter, and just hang the poncho asymmetrically over your hammock if you only expect light rain. You NEED an underquilt or a pad. You risk getting swampfoot if you wear waterproof boots. Airy running shoes are a better choice if you have a light bag and are used to not having ankle support. 3-4oz is a good weight for a trail knife, there's no need to go over that. Your shovel is a waste of weight. Either replace one of your stakes with a curved blade stake or just dig with your heel. That's a lot of MREs; are you trolling? Break them down to just the entre and one side, take one spoon and leave all the rest of the sanitation pack behind.

Your base weight should be under ten pounds, but since you're only doing twelve days, you can probably go as high as fifteen. You're total weight (with the peak food and water weight added) shouldn't be more than thirty, or you'll really regret it.
>>
>>727063
Let me know how it compares to your commercial fire box.
>>
>>727052

Yeah, have 550 cord and dry sacs, just assumed it was redundant to include.

>>727067
I should of specified. Of course Im not taking 12 complete MRE's. Only main courses, snack breads, and peanut butter/jalapeno cheese
>>
>>727072
Okay. BTW, MRE PB and Cheese both go good (individually) on rice noodles. A few drops of tobasco are good on either.

What is your carry weight, currently?
>>
>>727080

Still waiting on stuff to trickle in, so I dont have an exact weight but I ruck 12 miles once a week with 50 pounds in the Osprey, and then 3.5 miles two other days a week. I'm not SUPER worried about pack weight.
>>
>>727071

I will, I've tried more complex hobo stove designs before. I'm hoping simple is the way to go.
>>
>>727091
Is that twelve miler all in one shot? Do you still feel okay the next day? If so, you could probably do twenty mile days for a couple weeks without issue. I carried a forty pound bag fifteen miles one day and felt like hell, but I'm a smaller guy. My base weight is down to ten pounds, now.
>>
>>727097
It usually is. Anything with parts that can break or get lost, I try to avoid. I'm a huge proponent of CCFs for that same reason.
>>
>>727099

Yeah, 12 miles in one shot. Fine the next day. Although I'm 6 foot 1 and 220 and genetics gifted me with tree trunk legs.

I'm aiming for 10 miles a day at minimum to be at my endpoint in the time allotted but want to do closer to 20 in case of weather delay or other independent variables.
>>
>>727106

Agreed, but I like having professionally made gear to give me a baseline. Case in point, my trangia outperforms all of the alcohol stoves I made out of soda cans and has yet to get crushed in the back country.
>>
>>727112
Oh, wow. I'm 5'9" and 160lbs. I do about 10 miles in a single stretch with no weight without even thinking about it, so I don't think I'll have issues starting out doing 20 mile days with a light bag. You shouldn't have any trouble doing 10-20.

>>727119
I like building most of my own gear. It keeps my repair and improvisational skills sharp. My most recent success was sewing a 5F sleeping bag onto a hammock as a cocoon. It's worked amazingly well, preventing CBS without having to carry a pad or underquilt.
>>
>>721304

Why do you want boots like that
>>
I work at Target and get a hefty discount on stuff that promotes being active. I want to get into hiking and backpacking, do you think the stuff we carry is worth a shit for starting out?
>>
>>727205
Some of it is okay, You just need to check the brand, like I bought my stove and water bottles from target. I wouldn't bother with most of their tents and sleeping bags for backpacking though, too heavy.
>>
>>726964

Aaaaaactually

>faggot

It's a brand NOW. That wasn't always the case. it was originally military issued and therefore unbranded.
>>
>>727381
>Military issued
>Therefore unbranded
Like my Vibram boots or Thermo pac MREs? How about all those Colt M-16s?

Do me a favor, would you? Try not to reproduce.
>>
>>727488

Oh right I forgot that the way everything is now is the way it's always been

>millenial
>>
>>727488

Holy fuck if you're going to lecture people like a douchebag, at least read the fucking wiki article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 633x794px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 633x794px
Thinking about getting this for the girlfriend so she can tag along for weekend trips. Anybody have have any experience with it or recommendations for her ?
>>
>>727622
The North Face is a god damn good brand so I wouldn't hesitate
>>
>>727580
Excerpt from the article you referenced:

According to etymologist Jan Freeman, the story that duct tape was originally called duck tape is "quack etymology" that has spread "due to the reach of the Internet and the appeal of a good story" but "remains a statement of faith, not fact." She notes that duct tape is not made from duck tape and there is no known primary-source evidence that it was originally referred to as duck tape. Her research does not show any use of the phrase "duck tape" in World War II and indicates that the earliest documented name for the adhesive product was "duct tape" in 1960. The phrase "duck tape" to refer to an adhesive product does not appear until the 1970s and isn't popularized until the 1980s, after the Duck brand became successful and after the New York Times referred to and defined the product under the name "duct tape" in 1973.

Seriously, I'll pay for the vasectomy.
>>
>>727622
Seriously? Again...? Don't fucking do it anon, you will lose and fuck up your you time. There's a reason you enjoy going /out/
Dont give that up.
>>
>>727815
What.... I can still take solo trips lol
>>
>>727780
So someone should be sterilized because of a technicality on the correct name of a tape? Maybe you're the one who needs to remove yourself from the gene pool. Why are you this mad about the name of a brand of tape, are you mentally unstable?

In all reality it doesn't matter both are correct all that matters is who you ask. I work at Home Depot and we sell a tape called "duck tape" and a brand of tape called "duct tape". You can't see what brand the tape is in the picture. So you cannot possibly know if you are right or not. Kill yourself.
>>
>>728272
>someone should be sterilized
pretty much
>>
>>722572
Western NY myself. Any weekend trips you could recommend for this summer?
>>
What's the minimal amount of gear you would take for a day long trip? 10-12 hours of hiking through a forest.

What's the gear you'd never go for a hike without?
>>
>>728365
Alleghany national forest is really close to you, it's kinda flat but it's not bad there's some cool stuff there
>>
>>728379
Realistically all you really need is some water and snacks and anything else you want for fun like binoculars or whatever. Some would say always bring first aid, bug spray, compass, etc but if you know the place well and it's just a short hike it's not entirely neccesary
>>
>>722713
I just got TNF Stormbreak 1. Was having a really hard time deciding between that and the Passage 1. Lower weight ultimately did it for me.

Hope I made the right choice.
>>
>>728379
All you really need is a lifestraw/sawyer. Pick your poison.
>>
>>721586
Depending on where you are taking them in MN, there are various different outfitters that should offer rental nearby.
>>
>>721304
Chronicles of Riddick
>>
File: image.jpg (777KB, 2592x1522px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
777KB, 2592x1522px
I'm going for my first overnight on sat. This is basically my first real run with all my gear too so here's hoping I'm not hanging bear snack in my hammock. Wish me luck everyone
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>728788

Wool blanket included
>>
>>726643
I have that. The poles and pegs are heavy as fuck, plenty of thin but good rope you can use for everything.

The tarp itself is worth the money, 700g, 3m x 3m, 7 rigging points (three on either side and one in the center which is very useful).
>>
>>728790
Nice have fun man, I suggest doing a camp somewhere you're familiar and maybe not too deep in the woods. It's good to test your gear out incase something doesn't work/ fails your not stuck in the middle of the night with no shelter
>>
File: 2016-04-02_14.43.11.jpg (525KB, 923x1160px) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-02_14.43.11.jpg
525KB, 923x1160px
>>
>>729198
I think the stuff strapped to the outside is bigger than you entire bag... Maybe time for an upgrade lol...
>>
File: IMG_2585.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2585.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>729464
Lol but I don't want to. Here's everything I have and I still have some room to spare for clothes and food.
>>
>>729484
You can't fit those in the bag? It looks big enough in that pic. Nice kit too, what's it all weigh can't be more than 10-15 lbs?
>>
>>729484
Also what are the poles for if you have a hammock?
>>
>>729506
I just bought a tent. My original set up was a hammock and tarp. I'm just posting everything I have. I have room left in my pack and it's hard to let go of the hammock and tarp because a lot of the places I camp at have lean tos. And you cannot set up a tent near a lean to.

Trip to trip I'll pick what I need. But yeah.it fit in my pack so I put it in.
>>
>>729501
Fit what? My pack weighs in just under 20lbs.i can fit anything I need to. On my off time I just sit there and find the best way to optimize my pack.
>>
>>721014
I really wanted that tent but im too tall ;^(
>>
>>721379
Im 99.9999999% sure they were fabricated solely for the movie.
>>
>>721402
>want a coccoon bag
>cant sleep on my back
>can only fall asleep on my stomach

:(((((
>>
>>729484
why bring deodorant? I wouldnt bother
>>
>>727780

And yet, from the same article:

"Their new unnamed product was made of thin cotton duck tape"

>eat your own cum
>>
>>728485

Snax (I usually make a modified form of hard tack, shit is cash)
Water (min 1 litre bottle)
Lifestraw
Rain poncho if rain is likely
Shemagh if it might get cold
>>
Where to backpack in SoCal? Should I just do the bottom part of the PCT?
>>
>>721358

Ugly as fuck

Looks like you're an outdoor dominatrix kek
>>
>>729569
Oh okay yeah it was like that when I went to the adirondacks,
I don't really understand why you can't pitch a tent next to one is it just cause then other people can't use the lean tos ? Because I was sharing a campsite and they still DIDnt want it up
>>
>>729790
Yeah I was actually talking about the adk too lol. That's where I hike.

Yeah I think it has to do with other hikers and being aware that you are outside in nature. And doing your best not to become an eye sore for others. But if you really wanted to use your tent you just have to go 150 ft off trail and away from water and you can do whatever you want.
>>
>>729633
Because I usually camp with other people. And if it's a qt I'm going to try and not smell like shit.
>>
Hey /out/
Just started getting into hiking a got a 35L bag at my local Canadian Tire. If I'm looking to do a single hike where I stay at night should I bring it back and get something bigger? I'd bring a tent plus I'm pretty tall so my clothes range for XL-2XL.
>>
>>729901
If your primarily doing only overnights 35 should be big enough but you may want something a little bigger if you ever plan to do anything longer than that
>>
File: innawoods.jpg (161KB, 680x650px) Image search: [Google]
innawoods.jpg
161KB, 680x650px
Hey, so this is basically my gear for 2-3 nights and 3-4 days /out/, what do you think of it ?
It's in a 70L backpack, and the pouches you see are MOLLE pouches attached to my bag
>>
>>730229
all about the food/drink and shelter but you should be fine i guess
that smoke grenade is surely important
>>
>>730254
I bough two of these smoke grenades a few years ago I was all like ' man what if I get lost and they send a chopper to get me and he can't see me ' and then I realised I live in France and wherever I am I can't more than 1 day hike away from a village.
>>
>>730229
Pretty good , nice to know I'm not the only one who carries a knife and multi tool
>>
>>730229
You need an assload more food and water than that.
That's like maybe a days worth of food and half a days worth of water at best.
>>
>>730272
Forgot to mention MRE's are Home made and represent a whole day of food, including snacks and shits.
I live in France, and there's plenty of rivers. I carry 2 1.5L canteen and never ran out of water. I also carry water purification tablets (not shown on the pic sorry)
>>
>>730270
Knife is Leatherman e33Tx and multitool Leatherman Wave, what's yours ?
>>
>>730297
I carry a leatherman rebar and my knife is some gerber/cabelas blade with a gut hook. Found it in the bargain cave. Just Incase I bring my fishing pole along and catch somethin to cook up
>>
File: KIMG0102.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0102.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>727191

So I tried your tin can stove against my bushbox in a stanley adventure kit pot. Outside temp around 75° and windy and all water tested at tap temp, around 62°. I tested time to boild a half liter of water using biofuel (I used a bunch of kindling to try and keep some consistency) and then with my trangia burner.

Tin Can Stove
Wood - 12:20
Trangia - 6:30

Bushbox
Wood - 9:40
Trangia - 8:30
>>
File: KIMG0103.jpg (3MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0103.jpg
3MB, 1836x3264px
>>730484

Since the tin can stove had better efficiency with a Trangia than the bushbox I decided that there was a fueling issue when using biofuel, I couldn't add bigger pieces without moving the pot. I cut a 1 1/4 x 1 3/4 hole in the tin can stove to allow me to add larger pieces of fuel and then retested. The results were:

Modified Can Stove
Wood - 6:30
Trangia - 7:00

Only a slight decrease in efficiency with the trangia, but significantly better with biofuel since I could keep adding larger pieces.

I will still likely continue to use my bushbox since it packs flat and is sturdier than a tin can. That being said I will never reccomend that someone shell out upwards of $30 for one when it's completely outperformed by a stove made out of free materials and less than 20 minutes of time. I'm also keeping my eyes open for a stainless steel cup about the size of a 29 oz can for when my bushbox takes a crap. I have a GSI cup kicking around that I may turn into a stove in the future.
>>
>>730484
>>730492
Wow I'm surprised someone went out of the way to test all that. Is trangia some kind of like alcohol fuel? Good to know a tin can is comparable to market products lol
>>
>>730893

If you don't test your gear before going out, you're being foolish.
>>
>>730965
Ok I think there's a difference between doing scientific experiments to find out the boiling time of different stoves and setting up camp in your backyard .... I didn't imply I don't try my gear before I take it out?
>>
>>730893

I like seeing who built the best mousetrap so to speak. Trangia is an alcohol burner and it performs better than the beer can creations I've made in the past. The bushbox was a huge disappointment as I believe it would perform comparable to the tin can if it just didn't have all of the cutouts on the sides. Anyway, hopefully I've saved some people the expense. I'll probably test it a few more times under different conditions and see if I can replicate the results. If the bushbox is still an underperformer then I'll be sending bushcraft essentials an email.
>>
>>731108
Thanks for doing the legwork man you're an /out/ hero! Oh okay I wasn't sure what it was. I see a lot of people use those beer can devices you're referring to.

Sucks that the bush box doesn't work so well, I almost bought a similiar device.. Glad I didn't. It's a novel idea; using materials around you instead of fuel but gas works so well and so quickly it's hard to replace. if i ever decided to switch it's good to know a tin can will do the trick lol
>>
>>720904
What is the syringe for?
>>
>>721358
Do people wear those? Feel like it would be hot as fuck anywhere there are snakes.
>>
>>731210

enemas and piss-drinking.
>>
I'm trying to start gathering equipment for backpacking/hiking through Europe (am european myself), but I honestly don't know where to start. I have a backpack, sleeping bag, basic cooking set and shoes already, so any advice on the other things are appreciated. Mainly I'm struggling with a tent: I'd prefer one with the ground sheet attached (or well, that seems the most practical to me, if you know any downsides to that let me know), it needs to be able to withstand different weather and survive for a long time (I'm starting in Poland at the end of july, but I don't know yet where I'll go after that or for how long I will be gone, could be a year), and in a neutral color. I'm fairly small (1.58/5'2), so it doesn't have to be big but it would be a plus to have enough space to occasionally have someone else sleeping in there as well (like an 1,5 person tent?). Obviously lightweight, and under 150 euros if possible.
And for clothing, what kind of fabrics do you recommend? Quickdrying, breathable, warm, washable without fancy facilities, etc.? What's a good but lightweight poncho? Are there any femanons who could share experience with different types of bras and trousers/legwear (are leggings a bad idea?).
What kind of knife should I take with me?
>>
>>722873
Shitposting: the movie

We've had this conversation too many times. Yes, duck tape was the original name for what is now known as duct tape. Somewhere along the line, they stopped using duck cloth and started using plastic. Yes, Duck is a brand of what is currently known as duct tape. No, ducts are not the only thing that particular type of tape is good for. Fuck me running, your shit triggered me. Don't call someanon a retard if their post was JUST AS CORRECT AS YOURS. Faggot.
>>
>>731210
It's for back washing the water filter, helps keep it clean and filter more easily
>>
What's better for making river water drinkable, iodine tablets or a filter? What are the pros and cons of both?
>>
>>731336
Water filter bro, iodine tablets should be reserved for emergencies. Tastes like shit and takes like a half hour if I remember correctly to be drinkable.
>>
File: image.jpg (516KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
516KB, 1440x1080px
So I'm getting ready to do a solo overnight stay in the forest. I packed my bag to make sure I could fit everything and to see how it weighs out. I have an Osprey Atmos 65 and I was surprised to see it was a snug fit. I still have room, but not a ton. That being said, the only difference between this one night and a three or more night is food. Right now the pack is weighing in at 40lbs ready to go out the door. That's on the heavy side for sure. I'm looking to cut some weight. I know I packed some niceties such as a hammock to relax in when I set up camp and I'm sure I can trim down other items as I go to save weight. Further into the year, I can cut some of the extra layers and stuff like that as it warms up.

I think a big portion of excess weight is the 4L of water I have. I say that because I have a purifier as well, and I know that I'll be setting up near a creek and or river on most of my outings. Should I bring just a 2L bladder and maybe an empty nalgee bottle and plan to purify more water? That should save about 4 lbs right out the gate.

Thanks for any advise, I'm not new to /out/ activities, but I am new to the off the beaten path camping.
>>
>>731457

When I got older and started trimming weight from my pack to relieve tired joints I found that the three biggest areas I could save weight and space were with my sleeping bag, pad, and cold weather wear. I dropped 15 pounds just by getting more modern equipment. This might not help you for your upcoming trip, but look into your gear weight and you may be surprised.
>>
>>731096

Is that a statement or a question?
>>
>>731258

varusteleka.com

Good gear, good prices. No I'm not a shill, I live in Aus so I wish I could buy their shit but shipping is a killer. Happy though cause I'm moving to the UK soon.
>>
>>731265

Wow you sure are angry. Maybe you should stop drinking your own cum.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 201x251px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 201x251px
Just bought an osprey kyte 46 how'd i do?
>>
>>731265

You're wrong.
>>
>>731336
I use purification tablets because you can purify up to 1 liter at a time, with a filter you can only clean the water you're drinking. Because I don't know how many rivers will be on my way, I fill up all my canteens with water when I find one, so purification tablets are perfect for that.
It takes half an hour to clean the water but that's really not that bad desu
>>
>>731457
Bring the extra water and just don't refill the containers if you find you have access to plenty of water and want to save weight. Can't ever have too much water.

Granted I mostly hike in hot humid climates, but you can easily go through like a liter of water per hour.
>>
File: water-filter.jpg (179KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
water-filter.jpg
179KB, 640x360px
>>731573
Of course can filter into a container, why on earth would you think you couldn't?
>>
File: lp.jpg (183KB, 800x471px) Image search: [Google]
lp.jpg
183KB, 800x471px
>>731558
no.

every amerifart use osprey.
>>
>>731587
Oh okay my bad then. I though he was talking about these straw that filters when you drink. Purification tablets still seems the best option to me, though
>>
>>731587

Is it possible to rig up the lifestraw base model as an unattended gravity feed filter?
>>
>>731457
I would def carry less water, and just make sure to drink up at creeks etc. just carry what you need for camp. water is heavy at about 1 kg or 2.2 lbs / liter. The only time I would recommend otherwise is when you're going somewhere you know there's no water like a desert.
>>
File: image.jpg (516KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
516KB, 1440x1080px
>>731654
>>731495
>>731585
Thanks for the replies. Sleeping pad is the REI flash 15, bag is Marmot scandium and. Both are pretty light. Cold weather gear will certainly help as I get in to the summer here I can replace my heavy long johns and uses lighter stuff to sleep in. Luckily I'm out in the black hills of South Dakota and there are some decent water sources if I plan my trip right. Once I get comfortable with it, I'll shed some extra weight with water and then cut down on the clothing for the summer.

Here's another question, instead on a long rolled up tent, should I separate the rain fly and main compartment into two smaller stuff sacks and pack it that way? I'm trying not to have anything outside the pack other than a water bottle and the tent poles. I have the REI halfdome 2+ and it takes up a ton of space even with the poles pulled out. It's about 30 inches long and 7-8 inches across away from the synch straps. I feel like it might save some space if I reconfigure that portion of the pack.

Thanks again.
>>
File: image.jpg (1019KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1019KB, 1536x2048px
>>731558
Ospreys are nice and most retailers will actually take the time to fit it to you and ensure that its a good match. As long as it fits you and your needs and is comfy, seems good to me.

>>731597
Osprey makes good packs. Out I'm my neck of the woods, all of the local shops carry either Deuter, Osprey, and maybe some Gregory packs. The chain store has Osprey and North Face. All of those companies make good packs, but a lot of reviews tend to praise Osprey very highly so that's a good reason to lean towards them. I do have a Deuter day pack (speed lite or something like that) and I love it. Perfect size, awesome and well thought out features, comfortable, and it looks really nice.
>>
>>731670

I'd put the tent and fly into separate compression sacks and then cinch em down tight. The tent is another area you could save weight. Get a one man tent or a tarp and bivy
>>
File: header7-copy11.jpg (365KB, 980x470px) Image search: [Google]
header7-copy11.jpg
365KB, 980x470px
>>720904
Tell me /out/, for I rarely come here, did the Aaaaaarn meme ever take off on these boards?

I've never had the chance to test Aarn backpacks. In principal they probably work really well, but they're also the most expensive hiking backpacks you can buy.
>>
>>731457
in my opinion, a 40 lb bag for an overnight is massive, unless you packed a lot of creature comforts.

I'd have to know a total breakdown of all components packed to tell you to cut stuff. 4L of water is fine, especially if you wanted to pack your own water so you don't have to (creature comfort) drink purified water.
>>
>>731771
Hm never thought of a counterweight pack in front to balance things... Seems logical. I think it would get in the way though when trying to maneuver
>>
>>731670
I personally keep my tent body and fly in its sack and strap it to the outside and strap my poles to the side. I've seen s lot of recommendations though to just stuff the fly into the main body to fill spaces so that might work for you
>>
>>731781
It's also not so simple to make the counterweight effective: you have to think carefully about which items you put in which pockets (you're supposed to put denser objects in the front pouches), and sometimes your own loadout might not work well with the space you're given.
>>
>>731795
Yeah it must be complicated to load things evenly
>>
>>731546
Thanks man, it seems like they get new stuff often so I'll check their site once in a while. A tent like this would be perfect but is a little heavy, anyone knows something similar or has experience with this?

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/french-2-person-tent-olive-drab-surplus/23920
>>
I have a strange question. I have a Swedish 35L milsurp pack, it it possible to attach an Alice bag to the frame of it since I like the frame but the bag is trash? I want to go backpacking with it but too much of a shoestring budget to buy a real backpacking pack
>>
>>731206
Maybe a windscreen is all the bushbox needs?
>>
>>731889
Definitely not of course you can.
So possibly if you use a little ingenuity.
>>
File: image.jpg (795KB, 3367x934px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
795KB, 3367x934px
>>731776
It is a lot of stuff.

Tent
Sleep pad
Sleeping bag
Pillow
Heavy long john set
Wool beanie
3 pairs sock
2 pair underwear
Clean shirt
Sandals (real heavy and total a creature comfort)
Pot w/ lid
MSR whisper lite w/ fuel bottle
First aid kit
Warm gloves
Hammock w/ straps (unnecessary but nice to relax in)
Head lamp
Small lantern
Spare batteries
Map
Compass
Point and shoot camera
Water filter kit
Food (ramen, rice, trail mix, dried fruits, etc)
Thick outer layer for top
Rain jacket
Down jacket
Wipes

There might be another thing or two that I'm forgetting. It's a lot of stuff, but to supplement more nights all I'm missing is additional food and maybe.

The tent is ~5lbs right off. I can save some weight with lighter stakes. It's a comfy tent and affords room to bring the dog with, or maybe the wife. I already bought a lighter pot to cook in. I can also get a smaller fuel bottle for when it's just myself. The sleeping bag is a bit heavy at 3lbs 4oz but it's cold at night here and I want to extend my time as much as I can. For the hammock straps, I can replace them with much lighter nylon webbing that takes way less space. The hammock is the biggest creature comfort I have. It's literally just to lounge in. But, I like it.
>>
File: 1453615620774.jpg (47KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1453615620774.jpg
47KB, 500x375px
So, as a neet with only around $100 dollars I can spend for the foreseeable future on camping stuff, I currently have the basics, a tent, a small backpack and a decent sleeping bag. I need to know where I would go from here to be okay on 2-3 night camps. Btw, I live in MA
>>
>>732001
That's actually not too bad with food and including comfort items like sandals and such. Sometimes i think people get too caught up on weight. What's an extra lb or two to be able to enjoy your time /out/; Which is the point is it not ?
>>
>>732005
I would probably invest in a headlamp, water filter, sleeping pad, clothing, compass, first aid, other basics. You can find cheap headlamps at homedepot on clearance sometimes for like 5 bucks. Get a cheapo pad the foam kind, and most filters are around 20 dollars. There's probably some other stuff I'm forgetting
>>
>>732028
Thanks bro. What about cooking? How much would one of those portable stoves and pots cost? I'm also going to be going out with like 2 friends who are also new to this.
>>
>>731937

Maybe, but the tin can doesn't. Why spend upwards of $30 on a product that needs extra accessories to compete with something made basically for free with almost no time investment.
>>
>>732066
Look at the tin can thing up here if you really want to save money >>730484

Otherwise the primus brand stove that attaches right onto the fuel canister is like $20 I think, and you can probably thrift shop and find a lightweight pot somewhere, or they sell backpacking combo ones that come with bowls and stuff too
>>
>>731639
I don't have this, so I can't be sure, but it doesn't look like there's any way to connect the dirty end to a source. You may be able to just set it in a reservoir, and siphon it from a hose on the clean end until the weight of the water inside the hose is enough to continue the flow.

But a Sawyer would be easier.
>>
>>732066

Stanley adventure kit is like $12 at Wal-Mart and I second the tin can stove, or use one of the Wal-Mart stainless steel nesting cups to make a stove, it'll fit over the adventure kit pot.
>>
>>732098
>Stainless steel nesting cups as stove.
Which one are you talking about?
>>
What do you guys do for food, I find dry stuff is okay, but having something like a premade wet curry or something like that is really nice, but they get heavy, any good tips on good tasting dry foods?
>>
>>732102

They are a GSI glacier cup ripoff. $4.97 in store, more than a tin can but that's what I'm likely to use.
>>
I've decided I want an Osprey pack. That frame system they have going on is cool as fuck and they feel amazing put on. Im 6'3", if that matters for comfort

I just dont know what size Id need. What sizes coresspond to length /out/?

ex: 50L for 3 days?
70L for a week? two weeks?

Which bags do you guys own, like the best, and what are the real differences besides carrying capacity?
>>
>>732115
>premade
There's your problem. Pack dry, cook onsite.
>>
>>732093

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Sawyers here in Aus are like $50.
>>
>>732223
You need to measure your torso length that's all that matters when sizing
>>
>>732223
Osprey offers different frame sizes for most bags. They should size you in store and set everything up for you. But I think you're asking, what size in volume should I get? That depends on you and your desired trips. I'm the kind of person who tries to buy once cry once. So I went for a larger pack. Worst case you have extra room. Best case, you can do longer trips /out/. The way I see it, why limit your options? I've had buyers remorse on some packs before. I got the Osprey Kestrel 32L. It's more or less useless other than for travel where I'm in hotels. Too big for a day pack, too small for an /out/ trip.

I also assume you're talking about their AG frame. Super comfy system. They only offer a couple bags in that style of suspension right now, which means you are probably looking at the Atmos. A guy in my local store has it and says he can easily go for a 7-10 days if he's near a water source.

Also, Osprey is slowly adding more bags with the AG suspension. So you can wait awhile and see what comes out if you want.
>>
>>720904
1. why are you carrying that utensil? are you just wanting to carry extra weight? There is zero reason you need that and a utility knife. get a lightweight aluminum spork and a tiny pocket knife. all you need and like 1/5th the weight

2. a light with an external bat pack? good god dude. find something lighter.

3. that nalgene.... go get a two 1 litre pepsi bottles. comes in at 1/3rd the weight.

4. a whole roll of duct tape. ffs mate. are you trying to upset me?

5. that cookware...jesus christ. how much does that weigh?

6. you seriously have one of those fucking blue cups? why the fuck do you need a cup that isn't your cookware / water bottle

I'm just gonna stop... I can't even look at this picture and think about the words "thru-hike"
>>
>>732223
I take a 40L for 5 day trips. Never been a problem. The key is to reduce gear and reduce weight. With food for 5 days and water, I come in at about 23 pounds with pack and bearbin (+some depending on weather for additional clothes)

If you're going for 2 weeks the only weight you are going to want to increase is your food. You don't want more gear. You always want less gear. If you get a dehydrator you can probably pack 2-3 weeks of food in ~55 or so without too much trouble. Again, being smart with what you pack and how you pack it.
>>
>>732369
>>732346
ok, so 55 is bretty good for a week or even two of /out/, so I guess the 70 is for straight up long ass cross country adventures?

thanks. I think ill bring in a good portion of my gear into the store just to see how much space it all takes up. I've got like $140 in gift cards for REI
>>
>>732375
depends on
1. if you are going to refill food or if you are carrying multiple weeks of food with you the entire time.I literally never take my 70 unless i am going rock climbing and need to carry all my gear (two ropes, cams, etc) AND I am basecamping while I do that.

2. I would make sure you don't fill your 55 all the way. My 40 is snug, but its a 40.Psychologically, we tend to fill the containers we are given (thus why walmart increased cart size). source, i'm a psychologist.
>>
>>732388
ok thanks

Yeah i dont see myself ever doing rock climbing. fuck that.
>>
>>732363
>you will never be this much of an ultralight autist
Thank god
>>
>>732508
>mfw I replaced all my functional clothing with home-made Tyvek clothing because the former was too heavy

ULTRA
L
T
R
A
>>
>>732122
Okay. Yeah, I have one of those. Seems a little short to make a Biostove out of, but I suppose it could work.

Anyone know of a taller SS cup?

>>732304
There must be a way to get them cheaper. By the way, what's a pack of cigarettes run there?
>>
>>732363
I don't thru hike so I am willing to carry some extra weight for durability. I'd rather be using the same gear in twenty years than buying new stuff every year.

1. Ill give you this one, but the utensil was a gift so I'm not going to go buy something else when it was free

2. Found this headlamp for $5 so I can't really complain, it works

3. I also carry a Gatorade bottle, prefer to have a Nalgene as well for measuring and other purposes

4. I reduced the amount of duct tape I carry ill have to update the picture

5. The pot is relatively light I haven't weighed it though, it's a Stanley

6. The cup is for coffee and mixed drinks which always stains plastic and destroys it leaving a residue and smell
>>
>>732613

I'm trying to track down a better stainless cup to make a biostove out of, but I'm gonna try the Wal-Mart cup soon and post results just because it's so cheap. I also want my stove to be able to nest with my cookpot so that limits options somewhat.
>>
>>732508
not that ultralight dude. i run a full length 3" air pad, a full 1 person tent, and i eat awesomely well. i just dont carry bullshit stuff that no one needs.

seriously. name why you need any of those things.
>>
>>732664
i've found over time that reducing the amount of stuff makes my trip more enjoyable. I've also found that for a few bucks you can get something that lasts for far longer. for hot beverage, i just drink out of either a good plastic (MSR stuff that comes with their cookware) or the jetboil. i just like to drop the weight. like the utensil. its a gift but i love my sea to summit alpha light spork. seriously. that thing is.. amazing and worth the 10 bucks for the 0.3oz weight. it damn near lasts through anything. If I compare a stanley cookset for backpacking (for instance, 14oz for the Stanley Adventure Camp Cookset) it comes well over my 11oz for the jetboil that includes (a) the stove unit, (b) the cookware, and (c) the grub gear. so you would need to combine your cookware, your stove, and your cup to compare with my 11oz. That difference makes a huge point for me in terms of wear on my body (I'm mid 30s) for long distance hikes and for bulk of a back when i'm pushing through heavy bush.

I just measure out the stuff ahead of time and mark my bottles. it lets me measure and it cuts weight.

maybe i'm just old and got tired of hand me down gear though.
>>
>>732363

And now he doesn't need to pack any salt
>>
>>732613

I'm not a smoker, but I'd say about $30 for a 25 pack.

People refer to it as the "Australia tax". Everything over here is expensive as shit, companies say it's due to the geographical isolation but digital content from apple and the like is still jacked up in terms of price. The real reason is that Australia has relatively high salaries compared to other first world countries. I'm just poor cause I'm a studentfag, so if anyone knows where I can get a cheap sawyer from that'd be awesome.
>>
>>732375
I did a 4 week hike with a 50l pack. Just take less stuff with you. A pot, a spoon, a pocket knife, a tinfoil windscreen, a plastic bottle for ethanol and a trangia burner is a complete kitchen if you find some stones as a stand. Also, why cook at all?

For sleeping youneed a pad, a sleeping bag and a tarp.

Bring two pairs of socks, two shirts, two briefs, a zipoff trouser, a fleece, a rainjacket and a rainkilt, thin gloves, a sunhat and a buff. Add to that a light umbrella (golite chromedome aka euroschirm swinglite) and you have all you need in most climates.

Add some soap, toothpaste, and some other comforts and you are ready.
>>
File: kilt_side_l.jpg (338KB, 692x922px) Image search: [Google]
kilt_side_l.jpg
338KB, 692x922px
>>733130
>why cook at all
Because preparing freeze dried/dehydrated packets takes ages and tastes disgusting if you use cold water. But consuming warm food/drink is also important for body temperature, especially when you're tired and sweaty and in a cold, high altitude place.

>rain kilt
Hello zpacks?
>>
>>732837
I appreciate the sentiment and I know I could cut weight but as it is the pack comes in at like 30 lbs. I don't mind carrying more I just see it as a challenge. You probably go to the gym and try to lift heavier weights each time right? Well I see it as a workout and I get added functionality / comfort at camp

It makes no difference to me like I said I'm not hiking 2,000 miles so it's not a big deal. Ill think about the suggestions and if I ever plan a thru hike I'll take them into consideration. I don't see a need to oz count right now though for 3 day trips. If I want some sandals for around camp I'm going to bring them and not worry about the extra oz or two
>>
File: 1443736898357.png (240KB, 1350x964px) Image search: [Google]
1443736898357.png
240KB, 1350x964px
Cheapest, best quality weekend packs? I wish I didn't have to worry about how much can spend but as A student, I do. Lemme hear yall's suggestions.
>>
File: batoh.jpg (96KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
batoh.jpg
96KB, 700x700px
I am going backpacking in summer to Romania, it will be for 14 days, will pack like this one on the picture be sufficient enough or would i need something bigger? Also is there any alternative to tents other than hammock? I wanna go as light as possible. I am currently lurking boards to find tips & tricks and stuff that i would need, I already bought boots, Dachstein dolomite men, price cut down from 180 to 90€ 2 years old and unused. Price when new was around 400€, i think i made fucking good deal.
>>
File: 20160408_135048.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160408_135048.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Partial loadout for tonight, going to jackson falls illinois, in the Shawnee natl forest. Supposed to be 32f.

Tent is a wfs tnt-16 made in China
Pack is a high peak Pocatello 70 liter
Bag is high peak summit 20
>>
>>734115
Went climbing there last weekend!
Pretty cool spot for the midwest.
>>
File: 2016-04-08 17.15.05.jpg (3MB, 2829x1590px) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-08 17.15.05.jpg
3MB, 2829x1590px
>>734173
It really is. I've been taking friends there for about 14 years. We don't climb, but camp and hike. There is a lot to see around that area. Going to camp there tonight, hit bellsmith springs tomorrow, and maybe the garden of the gods.
>>
>>734000
I would go with a hammock/tarp combo if I was you
>>
PSA, trangia style military surplus alcohol stoves for seven bucks at army surplus warehouse.
>>
>>734000
The only other options really are a tarp or hammock like that other guy recommended... I personally just prefer a tent, can be set up anywhere and it keeps the water out... You have to give up water protection with a tarp and with a hammock you always have to set up between trees.

Is there a reason you're against carrying a tent?
>>
>>734000

Go with hammock, tarp, USGI poncho and liner. Poncho and liner can be used as a sleeping bag, the poncho can double as rain protection during the day, the tarp can be used either as a shelter or a bivi if there are no trees, and the hammock can be used when there are trees around.

Versatile, modular and lightweight. Interested to hear what other anons think about this setup.
>>
>>721050
>if it's lighter that means less durable

when will this meme die?

I still don't understand why people keep believing this technology is moving forward things are getting lighter while maintaining durability.
>>
>>735577
Nylon is nylon.
50 denier nylon is less durable than 100 denier nylon.
If you want a product that can retain similar durability at a lower density then you need to use more exotic materials like cuben fibre/dyneema which come at a cost and can still only be found in high-end equipment.

However, when it comes to consumer grade backpacks for instance, it's true that they are generally over-engineered, and that there is therefore some leeway to reduce weight without the product becoming too weak to perform its function.
>>
>>735577
I'm aware tech is improving but a 2 lb tent will never be as durable as some cabelas expedetion tent that weighs 100 lbs... It's just physics. A thicker fabric is less likely to rip and will always perform better. Think about trying to rip a phone book vs trying to rip a piece of cardboard. Yes the cardboard is harder to rip than 1 sheet of paper, but 1000 sheets of paper is much harder to rip through than 1 piece of cardboard.

I'm simply wondering HOW durable is it in comparison. At what weight is the sweet spot where you will be able to carry the tent but also not have to worry about it falling apart
>>
>>735818
>>735613
>>735577
I don't see why this is hard to get for some people. I just got an ultralight tent with carbon fiber poles. Double wall tent that weighs 1 3/4 lbs. Not only is the fabric super thin, the carbon poles are already chipping at the ends after assembling it once. I'm okay with it, because that's the trade off I'm willing to make. I'd be kidding myself before I thought any ultralight gear was more durable than the non-ultralight or 3/expedition use models.
>>
>>720904
how much more prudent is backpacking for weight loss?

is it better than jogging or does it entirely depend on duration/distance/speed?

any personal stories?
>>
>>735945
Just like jogging and running, you get oit what you put in. You could walk 800m into a field and set up a tent and cook or you could go up and down hills for multiple days, pushing yourself hard.
>>
>>735945

I imagine it's not really the best for weight loss by itself. Most people aren't going to get out on a daily basis, or a bunch of times a week, and go backpacking. To really loose weight, you probably want to be doing things 3-4 days a week at minimum.

Now, if you went on like a month long trip, traveling miles a day, you'd probably make the losses you want. Or mixing in weekend trips with other exercise in the week.
>>
>>721304
guardians
>>
File: Coleman_Rigel_X2.jpg (34KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Coleman_Rigel_X2.jpg
34KB, 500x500px
>>735870
I realise it's also worth pointing out that the main way to reduce weight is usually by making compromises with your equipment in other ways: single wall tent, frameless backpack, trail running shoes, etc.

I use pic related. It's cheap and has no special materials but it is cramped for 2 people, only has one opening and the ventilation sucks. (~$100, packed weight 0.98kg/2.16 lbs).
>>
>>735945

Longer trips are awesome for losing the weight, you just have to have other activities to keep the weight off.
>>
>>735945
You can probably gain more muscle backpacking than running since you are carrying weight. Like others said though its not really something you could do everyday like going to the gym. I suppose you could just hike with a loaded pack as a workout if you really wanted
>>
>>735975
What are the inner dimensions, metrically speaking? I need real 200cm (im 186, but feet flat i'm 195 easily)
>>
File: Coleman_Rigel_X22.jpg (247KB, 1200x1697px) Image search: [Google]
Coleman_Rigel_X22.jpg
247KB, 1200x1697px
>>736364
I'm only 172cm. You will almost certainly be touching the wall with some part of your body.
>>
I'm new to backpacking and I'm looking into a decent backpack, I don't have the money for anything really expensive. I was looking at the Teton Sorts series of packs. I currently have thier Oasis 1100 I use daily, but I'm looking for something in the 40L-50L range. Does anyone have an opinion on thier packs? or something that works well in a similar price range?
>>
So how does one actually go about doing a thru hike? I mean logistically I would have to :

1. Quit my job
2. Pay up my bills for 6 months
3. Save up thousands for food
4. Leave my girlfriend or convince her to go

The idea has interested me but I don't see how any normal person can do it. How would I find a job when I get back ? I don't want to come back from it and be screwed and unable to pay my bills.

People don't just like up and leave right ? I feel like It takes lots of planning. You would starve with no money to buy food. You can't just rely on strangers/panhandling on a trail. Even if you never got a hotel or washed your clothes or anything. It seems like it would take extraordinary wealth and support. So how do people do it? Anyone here with experience?
>>
>>720904
First off i have that exact stove and it almost blew up in my face. Second of all where did you go hiking with that kit?
>>
>>726442
I have a beagle/basset mix that used to hike 10+ miles a day in his prime. Never took him on a several night trip though. Take several test hikes in increasing distance to see how his age/health are.
>>
>>736999
How did it "almost" blow up in your face... That's a little disconcerting. I take it to a nearby national forest in the northeast for weekends mostly
>>
>>737118
Because of its commie design. left for gas right for less? wat.jpg
>>
>>737122
So what happened you didn't realize it was leaking gas and sparked up or something causing it to catch ?
>>
>>737132
no it didnt catch, while i was screwing it on the valve was completely open and propane started flying out. damn near froze my fucking hand threw while i was trying to untwist it. but you know how there is the gas then the valve then the stove? well i unscrewed the stove from the valve and thats when i couldnt feel my hands and i just checked the fucking thing in the water.
>>
>>737149
Oh ok I see, yeah propane is scary you gotta be careful. I work at homedepot and one of our propane trucks had a leak once. It was the middle of the summer and the entire outside of the gas nozzle was frozen solid from the leak. Not something to fuck around with
>>
File: image.jpg (164KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164KB, 640x1136px
Just wanted to share this. Another one of those "Flash Sales" that's good until 10pm EST tonight. Looks like there are some cheap backpacks and other stuff.

http://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/s/flash-sale
>>
>>737160
IS homedepot any good? im thinking about applying either to there or Lowes
>>
>>737178
Lol I work at a field and stream. All that shit is the same price as what's in the store rn. U a shill aren't you?
>>
>>737205
Maybe. I got an email from Dick's the other day and was so close to grabbing that reel for $60. I still want to.
>>
>>737194
It's okay, I can't really do much better with my lack of a college degree. I get sick pay, vacation, make a little bit more than most people at $11.25 an hour. I want to hopefully get into management soon for better pay. Once you commit to the company they take care of you. I enjoy being able to use machinery and tools as well.

I can't stand the fucking customers though. All in all its decent, I don't LOVE my job but it could be worse, most days I enjoy work but like any job there are times you will want to scream at the top of your lungs, it is retail still. Working weekends all the time sucks too. All In all I would recommend it but get your degree man it's not a career
>>
>>736697
If you are new to backpacking try to buy a used backpack and take that on a few overnight hikes, that will give you a good idea of what you are looking for in a backpack. I wouldn't pay anything much for your used bag, maybe $20, if it is comfortable at that price and useful for you then you did a good job and don't need to buy another, better bag.
>>
>>737178
Is that a collapsible fishing rod? If so I need to get me one of those
>>
>>736697
i forgot to check back at this thread, i ended up buying the TETON Sports Summit 2800

$60 isnt that bad of a purchase,
>>
>>737122

Another testament to America's inability to understand anything outside their borders.
>>
>>737515
Enjoy, you can't really beat $60 for a backpacking pack even if it only lasts a short while. Better to spend less now and find out if its somethin you really want to put alot of money into
>>
>>728788
name your glasses please, i liked em.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.