[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advancing from flint and stone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: lets-make-sum-bronz.jpg (123KB, 444x530px) Image search: [Google]
lets-make-sum-bronz.jpg
123KB, 444x530px
Hi /out/.
Couldn't decide where to ask this but since the question at hand will be more or less bushcraft related I'm gonna leave this here.

I'll be short.
Let's say that you and some of your friends have been somehow thrown back in time and you're forced to fend for yourself.
Being familiar with bushcraft you manage to set up camp and traps and whatnot. You spend a few years there barely managing to survive. You and some of your buddies one day find plants and then proceed to planting.
Your tools are made of stone, wood and flint.
You feel the need to advance and the only way to do that is through metalworking.
Which brings us to the question. How do you actually process metals 100% primitively?
No shortcuts what so ever, just you and your stone tools and the ability to make fire and charcoal etc. I can't find anything on the internet, I've been searching for months but everything I find is only about 60 - 70% primitive. Thanks.
>>
Stop being a lazy fuck. I just Googled and found pages of links related to primitive metallurgy.
>>
>>717658
Well op the problem is scale and work to results ratio. Let's say you find a location with surface ore, then you take the time to pick and crush the pieces, make a clay oven to smelt the pieces, make some Good quality coal to burn or just store enough dry wood to do the job. Then you collect whatever metal is left after your first burning, you then melt and skim the metal using a few stone tools, then you pound your metal with round stones over bigger stones to get a rough hook shape of low purity metal that will help with the next six months of doing the same, over and over and over until you can make any of the 10 tools you need to expedite the process, you can probably leave your children inherentance of a Slag hook or an axe, maybe even an anvil if you work hard enough. The only reason we advanced is the number of people doing different jobs, crops that are reliable and stockable. Making metal is fairly resent in the great scheme of things and in many places of the world primitive cultures do not.
>>
>>717658
what did people first use to make steel? in what shape did they find carbon, did they just use crushed charcoal?
>>
There's an excellent African produced documentary on YouTube that follows the process of traditional iron smelting and forging in Burkina Faso which may answer some of your questions - https://youtu.be/RuCnZClWwpQ
>>
File: 1321321.jpg (631KB, 780x3202px) Image search: [Google]
1321321.jpg
631KB, 780x3202px
>>717658
The hardest part is finding the materials in the first place.

You know OP, this scenario is the very reason I have a ultra low power cell phone that can read most files, that is packed with primitive technologies, along with manual recharging and solar recharging equipment. I also carry a laminated map of the world showing deposits of ores used in all technologies. There's also a copy of it on the phone.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.