[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying land (Self Sufficiency thread)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: vic025-copy.jpg (495KB, 1328x503px) Image search: [Google]
vic025-copy.jpg
495KB, 1328x503px
Hello friends, this is my first time to this particular board, i normally frequent /o/.

I will be buying a rural property in australia soon to build a mansion on, something i plan on being entirely self contained

I've only ever owned city properties, though this has been my dream for a long time with frequent countryside trips.

>Are there any anons who know how this process will go?
>Any anons who have built their own homes?
>How to be self-sufficient so i don't have to deal with utilities if possible?
>What pitfalls to look out for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and i guess we can also make this a self-sufficiency thread for discussion on that sort of stuff (solar, rainwater tanks)
>>
Where in Oz? This will determine a suitable set up.
Whats your budget? And what do you mean by mansion?
Do you want total self sufficiency or just off-grid utilities? What about food?
Do you have any idea what you're getting into?
What about building experience?
>>
>>715636
Victoria's east, somewhere nice and green. At least 100 acres plus.

My budget is 5 million, including the house, landscaping, ect
If i liquidated assets or got a loan i could raise another 10 in capital. So i'm very well set for this, i've been working hard towards my dream for a long time.

I plan to go to the supermarket for food, i just mean i don't want to be paying for electricity or water in the long run.

I don't really, but it's something i want to do. I've lived in the city my whole life and i always go on roadtrips and see how beautiful it is out in the country.

I have no building experience, but i do have the money to get workers. Not sure how that works on a rural property though.
>>
>>715638
Mate with that kind of money you can do whatever you want, like maybe hiring project manager to hire a green architect and off-grid system engineer to hire workers and telling them how you want to live instead of asking a bunch of suburban homescrubbers on 4chan.

We're flattered that you thought of us first but get your ass a professional consultation and get this shit moving, you can actually live the dream here so do it right.
>>
>>715649
This is true and while i will be hiring people for the house on the property, i wanted some opinions on what to expect, as well as ideas on how to make my property as good as possible.
>>
>>715649
>>715638
And also could you send me $1000 for a van?
>>
File: earthshipacademy.png (144KB, 650x375px) Image search: [Google]
earthshipacademy.png
144KB, 650x375px
>>715651
Sure, so a decent solar array and rainwater catchment system/spring siphon will take care of utilities...what else do you want?

You might want to go the earthship route?
http://earthship.com/
It depends how green you want to go in the building process, concrete/insulation etc...

What else is in your dream anon? Besides living in the pretty countryside?
>>
>>715653
I want to have a forest, a little japanese temple within the grounds, some elaborate fence to keep home invaders out (australia is having a huge home invasion problem right now).

Like i said, i've lived in the city so i don't know about things like what solar is the best, what kind of fencing is the best to both obscure and stop invaders, while also blending into the environment.

Also planning on an underground car garage to link up to the home, but im more concerned with the outdoors stuff right now.

Particularly the fencing, because i figure fencing 100 acres plus is going to be costly, but i want several layers of defense to make my home a very unattractive target to robbers.
>>
>>715656
A temple behind barbed wire...how poetic.

So you want a 100 acre compound blended into the environment? Several layers of defense? Get a pike line and a moat!

Fences are fences mate...unless you're talking 15ft+ double wall chain link with a razorwire ditch like they have in the North Korean labor camps, anyone who wants to get through it, will...

Dogs are better.

Best solar?...Any monocrystalline PV panel array will do the job, you have enough to throw around that you don't have to worry too much about the details, its a big operation and having as I say, someone to manage the project is kind of the point of being a millionaire no? Having other people do things for you?
>>
>>715658
>anyone who wants to get through it, will
except the wildlife
you will have inconvenienced the burglar and completely thwarted local animals
>>
>>715659
>>715658
Im not adverse to getting north korean style fences if they can blend in.

I just don't want to be robbed by the scum, we've recently imported some real nasty cunts (i dunno if you guys saw the riot at the childrens festival on the news) and they're invading rich people's homes to fuck our shit up.

I've worked hard for my money and i don't want some cockhead on ice or a crazed fresh off the boat refugee from africa coming and hurting my family.

As far as the solar, what kind of ballpark of cost to power a very large home? We get a lot of sun here so that's no problem.
>>
>>715658
Oh and i do want to minimise costs on things such as fencing if possible, gives me more to spend on building the home.

Just trying to get some opinions from people who've gone through the same thing, before i seek a more professional consultant. That way they're not ripping me off like a sucker.
>>
>>715635
>I've only ever owned city properties
move south... put up fence, no trespassing sign... block old trail...wonder why your neighbors hate you.
>>
Do some reading, decide on the basics, you must have a vision in your head.

What materials will it be?
What foot print do you want?
What kind of lands do you want?
Requirements of land? I'd want a water course and native forest as well as some arable land

There's a lot to consider.

There is a les Stroud documentary on him building his house ,its a self sustained place but similar budget to you iirc,, you should hunt it out.

But definately find a good and like minded architect , maybe consult with an environmental engineer, and please get a land surveyor to inspect the land before you buy (heavy metals,pollutants,etc)
>>
>>715663
lets just assume that you're not full of shit. living rural is enough of a deterant stop being a pussy. you can literally leave the keys in the ignition & windows down when you go to the pub in rural Australia.
>>
>>716015
No you cant.

Your mate will jump in and do skids in the pub car park or grease your steering wheel, or hide your keys, or shove something dead under the seat, or put your dog in the front. Then you will have to do something to him. Then things will escalate till next thing you know someone took a shit in your toolbox.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.