[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fell for the hammock meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 12

File: image.jpg (150KB, 516x516px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150KB, 516x516px
Spontaneously bought an eno doublenest hammock with my rei dividend.
Are hammocks just a meme or the comfiest way to enjoy the outdoors?
>>
Comfiest, yes. Most expensive? Will be if you go too deep down the rabbit hole.
>>
there is no such thing as meme
>>
>>715499

How far does it go?
>>
>>715487
Go enoing, OP.
>>
>>715499
Pretty much this. Although the expense is on par with tents that weigh about the same.

Light shit is exy
>>
step 1 close laptop
step 2 get in hammock and experience bliss
>>
>>715487
Can you return it? Do it if you can, and get whatever else you need to get replaced.

Unless you ar going to some amazon-tier humid forest, you don't need a hammock
>>
>>715487
I'm not a hammock dude.

They seem cool for warmer weather but colder weather seems like they suck. You need over quilts in that for me just doesn't seem worth it. I'll stay a ground dweller for now.
>>
You got memed. Tents are pretty much better in every way, but some people really love hammocks for some reason
>>
File: DSC01809.jpg (1MB, 1616x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01809.jpg
1MB, 1616x1080px
I think they're great.

They have a steeper learning curve, and can get expensive for high end stuff. No different than high end tent stuff.

The hammock is usually about the cheapest part ironically. The expense comes from other stuff you need.

You can Def get away cheap though. The tar in my picture is a Yukon Outfitters tarp, $17 on woot when it's on sale (often). The under quilt and top quilt in my pic is made out of a Costco down throw, $20 each and $10 of shock cord. Add in my hammock for $45, and suspension for $20, and I'm all in for about $135 give or take.

I have more expensive quilts as well, but you don't have to break the bank to get started. A sleeping pad and sleeping bag works just fine in a hammock.

I don't care for ENOs, but they aren't terrible. They're just kind of heavy, short, and expensive for what they are. For example, my dutchware hammock, suspension, and Ridgeline combined are lighter and pack smaller than just an ENO double nest without any suspension. Bonus, the Dutch ware and suspension together are about the same price as an ENO alone.
>>
>>715553
*ground-dwelling pleb

ftfy
>>
didnt read OP but if it isnt insulated you will be colder than sleeping on the ground retard
>>
They are good for solo hikes. I bring a tent because I have a dog and sometimes gf with me. I don't like hammocks either because they look too much like bear bags. A kid in a state park got attacked by a bear sleeping in a hammock last Fall.
>>
>>715590
>bear bag

This made me think of "gore bags" from fallout.

Fucking metal.
>>
>>715576
Is that you Necro? I remember the thread where you were making that UQ.
>>
>>715501
Inarticulate kids calling fads or gimmicks "memes" is a meme.
>>
>>715557
I imagine as above anon said that they're good in warmer places. I just bought a cheap parachute hammock and I'm keen to give it a go. I live in Sydney so it's pretty temperate here.
>>
>>715553
With a sleeping pad and a 15 degree sleeping bag I was comfy in ~20 degree weather in my hammock.
>>
>>715644
And I slept in it for three months
>>
>>715590
if you're that afraid of bears, just get some climbing gear and place it high enough to where they can't strike at you
>>
>>715594
>>715590
An alarm system is needed then. Regardless of tent or hammock.
>>
What if I just want to chill for an afternoon in the woods or something? I'm assuming hammocks would be great for that.
>>
I just bought a single nest last night, but I got it for the purpose of setting up in camp to lounge around in as opposed to being my dwelling for the trip.

Maybe I'll eventually add on to it for hammock camping, but for now I don't intend to.
>>
fell off a hammock when i was a kid and had to get an arm sling for awhile.

but i still like them
>>
File: DSC01808.jpg (1MB, 1616x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01808.jpg
1MB, 1616x1080px
>>715598
Nope, different anon
>>
please stop these are ____ a meme threads
why would it fucking matter, she never called back
>>
>>715590
Well if bears are sleeping in them then they must be good.
>>
>>715576
I've been wanting to make an underquilt for a while now. Fuck spending $250 on one. How did you go about making yours?
>>
File: 20160220_131549.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160220_131549.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>715822
$20 Costco down throw

$10 of plastic snaps and snap pliers (had them already)

$5 of shock cord.

Used snaps to make a channel at each end, ran shock cord through it. Pretty simple.

I actually first made the down throw into a top quilt with the snaps, then made another throw into a top quilt. These 2 top quilts can then be snapped together t make 1 warmer top quilt. Or you can separate one and use as an under quilt, OR you can use both snapped together ad a warmer under quilt, OR you can unsnap them completely, and use them bot together as an insulated cover for you hammock, like a half sock.

Total investment under $60.

I also have a snugpak underblanket, and snugpak top quilt. Both are pretty good.

Additionally I have a snugpak hammock cocoon, and an arrowhead equipment new River winter quilt.
>>
>>717178
I've been drinking, excuse the spelling.
>>
>>717178
thats pretty much my plan. have an eddie bauer down hiking blanket and with some dollar store clamps it works perfectly
>>
Looking for beginner hammock setup recommendations.
Climate = Pacific NW
The catch is, I don't have any ground sleeping gear. Most beginner lists I see assume I have a sleeping bag etc. I sold all that stuff the last time I moved.
Looking for cheap, but it also has to be light enough for backpacking. Stuff I won't replace right away.
>>
File: image.jpg (190KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
190KB, 612x792px
>>717997
You can look at kits that one with the hammock, bug net, and rain fly such as Hennessy or you can put together a kit yourself. Buy hammock, then use some 1" nylon webbing for straps. Some cheaper cordage for a ridge line and guy lines. A regular tarp will work, but weights more and is bulkier than an actual rain fly. For bug nets, any sort of mesh should work if you can buy it in large pieces. For the PNW, you'll want an under quilt and can achieve that like this >>717178. Buy two of those quilts so you have something up top too. That's a start and will likely be lighter overall that ground camping.

Check out some videos on YouTube on how people have made lightweight hammock setups on the cheap. There are plenty out there.
>>
>>717997
If you're looking to go cheap and not make your own gear, wait till woot has a sale on hammocks in their sport section. They have Yukon hammocks go on sale like once a month, check every day.

I have 2 Yukon hammocks, their double hammock, and freedom v2. I got the double as a cheapo hammock and it's alright, the freedom v2 however I'm really impressed by, much MUCH better than the double. I v2 I got free, and wasn't even expecting to like it, but I think it's great. With the sale you can get a Yukon tarp for $17, hammock for $25, underquilt for $50, and top quilt for $50. All you'd need is straps to hang it. Lots of them on amazon. I'd pick the wild horn litespeed straps if I was buying off amazon.

That's not a bad set up if you want cheap and premade. Personally I like snugpak quilts better than the Yukon ones. Snugpak underblanket is $59 on amazon, and hammock quilt (top quilt) is like $45. Those 2 together are pretty good for the price (I have both).

Kind of depends how cold you want to go. Snugpak quilts are good to like 32-35 degrees. Yukon quilts probably closer to 40 degrees.

I'll put some other, not mass produced options in my next post.....
>>
>>718173
If you want to get better stuff, and have a little extra to spend, cottage gear is the way to go. In some cases you can get much better gear at not much more money, other times you'll need to spend more.

For a great hammock, I'd get a Dutchware netless 11ft hammock. They have a ton of fabric options, and can look overwhleming, but I'd stick to the Hexon 1.6, or Argon 1.6 fabrics in any color. They're light, soft, and strong. Add a Ridgeline to your cart when you select the hammock options.

With the dutchware, you'll need suspension, and can add it to your cart right with the hammock options as well. I recommend the cinch buckles. Add in the "knotty mod" to the hammock for a little more adjustable fit for $15 (not necessary though).

Plus side is that complete hammock and suspension set up is only like $80. Or about the same price as a crappy ENO doublenest without suspension. The dutchware is also longer, lighter, stronger, and more comfortable than than ENO.

For a tarp, there's countless options, honestly too much to cover in depth. Wilderness logics makes good, cheaper tarps though and you can check them out.

For quilts, you can spend $250 or $1000. For cheap quilts, arrowhead equipment makes awesome stuff. 3/4 length underquilt for $100 and top quilt for $175, good to 25 degrees. They are synthetic. If you want down quilts, wilderness logics makes nice stuff, but Loco Libre gear is probably my favorite cottage maker. Other good vendors include jacksrbetter, enlightened equipment, underground quilts, and hammock gear. Underquilt and top quilt from any of those companies will run you about $500 total though, so they aren't cheap.

Bug nets? I never use one. I just spray some deep woods OFF on my face and I never get bothered by bugs. Arrowhead equipment sells a half bug net for cheap, or you can get a full one from dutchware.

Tons of options easy to get overwhelmed. "Hang" in there, you'll find some great stuff.
>>
>>718179
Why not just buy a tent if youre gonna spend that much.
>>
>>718208
>>718208
If you bought a high quality tent you'd spend that much or more. Add in the cost of a sleeping bag and quality sleeping bag, or quilt and the price isn't much different. Remember, a quality tent can cost $400-500 alone.

For higher end stuff
$400 tent
$250 bag/quit
$150 insulated pad
Total $800

For high end hammock stuff
$100 hammock/suspension
$200 tarp
$500 quilts
Total $700

For low end tent stuff
$100 tent
$20 pad
$50 bag
Total $170

For low end hammock stuff
$25 Hammock
$20 pad
$20 suspension
$20 Tarp
Sleeping bag $50
Total $135

Priced aren't much different. You can go higher end or lower end than either of these examples too.
>>
>>715487
Expressions on their faces are hilarious tho
>>
>>718228
list me some low end tents to use then
>>
the 'equip' hammock is pretty dope, it also comes with a mosquito net which is a plus
>>
oh yeah, for bicycle touring, hammock might be easier for that stealth camping.

been looking at some blogs and such, since i wanna do some touring in the future.
>>
>>715507
as someone who once was a ground dweller too far man...first you think about a hammock and you read some reviews then you part together a good looking hammock. nothing crazy. its the most comfortable thing ever but then one night you get cbs and realize you need an underquilt a few reviews later and you have a great one headin to your house. then you realize that is rains so you need a tarp. and soon after you have a lighter wallet a 2lb hammock a cuben fiber tarp a 10* underquilt and a normal blanket for a top quilt and the most comfy night sleep ever.

tl;dr
hammock systems depending on what you are looking for aint super cheap (but comparable to a lightweight ground system) and are the most comfy thing while out

if you can find trees
>>
File: whereisyourgodnow.jpg (14KB, 236x276px) Image search: [Google]
whereisyourgodnow.jpg
14KB, 236x276px
>>715553
Take a sleeping bag, put it in a hammock.
>>
>>718807
Step 1 Go to walmart
Step 2 buy tent
>>
>>715487
Hammocks aren't a meme. They're good for outdoors as well as recreation because they're so damn comfy. Besides, doublenest is guaranteed cuddle and kisses when sitting in it with a girl(friend?).
>>
>>719883
Or confused boy
>>
>>718851

>I don't understand thermodynamics

Your sleeping bag rating assumes ground insulation below in use. Using a hammock essentially worsens it by 20 degrees, and it sure feels like more than that on a cold night. Even with a good bag, an underquilt is absolutely essential if you are expecting cold temps.
>>
>>721443
If you're using a good down sleeping bag, the compression in a hammock is even worse. It will make a 20 degree bag nearly worthless below you. Since the down compresses to practically nothing. A cheaper synthetic bag actually works better below you, since it doesn't compress as much. Still, an under quilt or pad is essential to staying warm.
>>
>>715630

Have you tried it out yet anon? Brisfag here, considering one myself.
>>
File: IMG_9025.jpg (3MB, 3648x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9025.jpg
3MB, 3648x2432px
>>721443
To be honest, I spend two -20°C nights in a raw in my hammock and -5°C rated sleeping bag and it was okay. Obviously not the warmest night ever but still okay
>>
>>721836

What kind of tunnel is that? It looks like some kind of emergency shelter.
>>
>>715487

Okay, ya got me hammockfags, I'm gonna give hammocks a try.

Ausfag here, so most of the brands mentioned in the thread have way too inflated prices once they get shipped here.

What are the actual features that I need to look out for in a decent hammock? Don't want to spend heaps as I've not tried it before and I might not like it, but what are the essential features, and what makes the difference between shit tier and useable?
>>
>>721864
Look for something that is 11 feet long and about 60 inches wide.

Some hammocks are just way too wide and short, like an ENO doublenest. Now plenty of people like them, but they aren't ideal in my opinion.

Material is subjective, so you'll have to decide what you need. Some are firm, some are softer. In the end all are comfortable. I slept in a very stretchy hammock for a while and slept fone, switched to a firmer one and was fine too.

Most people will prefer a single panel construction, not 3 pieces of fabric (like an ENO). The single panel makes a more comfortable lay. Again, it's not a deal breaker, but is nice to have.

What brands are available to you? Wed help and see which ones are decent.
>>
>>721864
Check out tier gear. They are based in Melbourne I believe. Custom hammocks and tarps and such.

Write them and tell them you want to get into hammocking. Sometimes companies will let you try before you buy, or they can just get you set up with good stuff. Looks like they also deal with dutch ware gesr, which is an American hammock maker, who makes amazing stuff.
>>
>>721861
It's a shelter for fisher during summer, and for me during winter. It's nothing but a metallic structure on the ground, but it's not to be in the wind
>>
Hammocks look shit if you sleep on your side.
>>
>>722162
Actually not that bad, but I'm a side sleeper at home, and in a hammock I just sleep on my back. You'd be surprised how even if you fall asleep on your side, with a hammock you just end up on your back and are comfortable.
>>
>>721949

Mate thanks so much, that's an awesome recommendation. I can't believe he actually has DIY videos and materials for sale as well; I've been thinking of making up my own possibles pouch and the stuff that guy sells would be perfect for it. Cheers
>>
>>722265
Dutchware is awesome stuff, looks like tier gear may the THE Australian dealer of Dutchware stuff.

Write them and see what's up, most the USA cottage makers are awesome and really helpful, I bet the AU guys are just as great.
>>
>>715594
You sound like a good person
>>
>>722162
If your sleeping position matters that much to you it's because you're not tired enough bro
>>
>>722162

>look shit
>look

So you've never actually tried one, but you're going to say they're shit anyway?

TOP MARKS
>>
>>715789

Under rated post
>>
File: 1435938203126.jpg (129KB, 493x750px) Image search: [Google]
1435938203126.jpg
129KB, 493x750px
>>715487
pros
>light weight
>space efficient
>elevate (flat ground is not required)
>cool
cons
>require trees
>colder than tents
>gravity
i like them they work well in Australia where its hot plus fucking ants have a tougher time getting in
>>
>>724322

What'd you get / where'd you get it, fellow Ausfag?
>>
Is there any good hammocks or hammock bundles on amazon? I'm having a difficult time figuring out what I am needing, even with all the reading I've done.

I have an outdoor retreat soon, and a camping trip with friends next month- and have decided to ditch tents and go hammock but there's way too many options for me to be able to pick.

Does anybody have any experience with hammocks that one zips up for the total enclosure "cacoon" feel?

Also does an (up to) ~$200 budget sound feasible as far as purchases goes?

Things I've come to believe I'm needing after this thread:
>hammock
>insulation (I'll probably just buy a sleeping bag)
>tarp for weather
>some form of netting for bugs

Anything I'm missing?
>>
>>724655

>cacoon

A dictionary.
>>
>>724655
>Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro $70
>Kelty Noah 9' Tarp $54
>Stansport Back Packing Pad $12

That leaves you with $64 for a sleeping bag. I have used this exact combination with a $30 Walmart lightweight sleeping bag in temps down to 40F and as high as 75F (overnight temps). Prices are from Amazon with Prime shipping. The hammock comes with a suspension, but you may want to upgrade that with tree slings for $20. My tarp came with stakes and cordage.
>>
>>724679
The skeeter beeter looks perfect. Coming as a novice- why is that tarp better than one that costs $10 at Walmart?

Also care to link some reliable tree loops you mentioned for $20?
>>
>>724716
The difference in tarps is weight and size. A Walmart tarp is huge, and heavy. A Kelty or similar is much lighter and easier to pack.

Eno atlas straps aren't $20, but they work. A nicer option is the wild horn litespeed straps. For about $25.

Personally I don't use any sort of bug net most nights. I just use a little deep woods off and I'm fine for the night. Bugs aren't bad for where I live, and the nights often dip into the 50s in the summer, so bugs kind of settle down then. I do have a cheap Coughlan bug net that I've cut down and works fine in a pinch.

Another decent cheap tarp is a Yukon Rainfly. Small but works well and is $17 when it goes on woot once a month.

The grand trunk is ok, but it's typical mass produced China made stuff. A Dutchware half wit has a bug net, and would be many times nicer than the grand trunk.

Brands like Eno and Grand trunk are ok, but their products are marginal at best. They're nice because they're mass produced and readily available, but not many serious hammock users like them, and most everyone I know who has bought an ENO or grand trunk, has moved on from them.
>>
>>721864
Pretty much the only Australian hammock company is tier gear as suggested by >>721949
I've bought some accessories and DIY shit from there and it's all great stuff.

Another option is dutchwaregear based out of the states. Reason being that they do 11 foot hammocks super cheap. Have to be willing to do separate bug-net, but for me i actually prefer that
>>
File: The-Ultimate-Hang-1-.jpg (29KB, 345x259px) Image search: [Google]
The-Ultimate-Hang-1-.jpg
29KB, 345x259px
Just a friendly reminder that getting into hammocking is confusing as fuck. There is literally just god damn oceans of information about suspension, materials, bug nets etc etc out there and it's super head-achey after too much reading

Do yourselves a favour and look at that faggoty ultimatehang website. Or better yet, spend the $6 on his even faggotier book. It's actually breddy gud
>>
I have a hammock. Yes it's comfy. But I'm a side sleeper. I like flat ground.
>>
File: I_laiek_hamx.gif (3MB, 351x251px) Image search: [Google]
I_laiek_hamx.gif
3MB, 351x251px
>>724885
I side sleep in my hammy al the time. All you have to to is think a little anon and it's simple to make it work. Ghee whiz.
>>
>>724886
Fellow side sleeper here. No trouble with my Eno double nest
>>
>>724886
>>724987
I just wasn't comfortable. If I'm lounging or taking a nap, sure. Just saying my preferred method of resting is usually on a flat surface.
>>
>>724639
sungpack tarp and hammock all up around $150 i think, on eBay
>>
>>721443
I've done 15F in a 0deg bag and a therm-a-rest, no underquilt.

was fine.
>>
File: farnuffbruv.png (400KB, 576x400px) Image search: [Google]
farnuffbruv.png
400KB, 576x400px
>>725018
well that's fair enough. can't argue with that.
>>
>>725091
A sleeping pad serves the same purpose as an underquilt, underquilts are usually more comfortable.
>>
>>725095
But yeah. Hammocks are fucking awesome.
>>
>>725018
Yeah everyone has their own preferences. Just saying people shouldn't let the side sleeping thing automatically turn them off to hammocking
>>
>>721836
Seriously. It's not like you need to be naked in your bag or something. Long sleeves and pants, warm socks and hat, boom
>>
>>725195
Absolutely not. I agree dude. In my region you can't park a tent next to a lean-to. So I set up a hammock. Definitely an awesome sleeping option. I'm glad I have it. Takes up about 1/10th of my pack space. I'm okay with that.
>>
>>715616
Inarticulate my ass. Meme means the same thing as fad or trend now, and the term applies outside the Internet as well, in short everything is a meme and I want to die
>>
>>724878

And what is this faggottier book called?
>>
>>725345
>And what is this faggottier book called?

>>724878
>ultimatehang
>>
>>715557

I live on a tropical island, that (outside of leeward areas) has a lot of trees, bugs, and often camp in areas that turn into a fucking mud bog really quick when it starts raining for more than a minute or two. Hammocks are nice in situations like that (99.99% of my camping).

Otherwise they do seem like more of a pain in the ass than my tent whenever I go off island.
>>
>>715487
Those poor trees...
>>
>>724679
Just placed my order for these exact things, it's much appreciated that you named these.
I did a lot of reading on each item and they're exactly what I'm looking for.
So thank you!
I'll be spending the next week once I get everything in on how to swiftly and accurately set everything up so once I'm off my property I'll be ready and knowing on how to assemble properly.
>>
File: 20160316_142715.jpg (4MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160316_142715.jpg
4MB, 3264x1836px
Backyard testing.
>>
>>721951

It looks like it smells like piss.
>>
>>726593
I don't know where you're from but here in France people don't piss in a shelter when they have a huge forest all around them
>>
>>725198
Yup exactly. Have a warm scarf and hat because a lot of blood go through your head so if it's cold it will cool all your body
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.