[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fällkniven

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

File: DSC_0464_resize.jpg (177KB, 1024x665px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0464_resize.jpg
177KB, 1024x665px
I've been looking at fallknivens lately and wondering if they're worth the price. Does anyone have experience or information about their durability/practicality for /out/ adventures?
>>
>>710546
Divide the price of the knife by the number of actual days you are going to use it within a year. Now ask yourself if is it worth the investment for the use you're going to give it.
>>
those are some pretty ass knives no doubt. cant speak for them
>>
>>710552
That's exactly why I'm asking here instead of /k/. I'm assuming /out/ actually uses knives and I want to know how they stand up in harsh conditions
>>
>>710546

Long time Fällkniven user here.

I have more Fällknivens in the house (5) than any other brand.

In my honest oppinion, not worth it at all.

It is a massively overrated brand.
>>
>>710559
Why is that?
>>
I own one and I never use it anymore, not worth the weight. Over the years I have found myself only really using a knife for food prep and making tinder. That's why I pretty much only ever take my opinel no8 with me.

Don't get to wrapped in in knives.
>>
>>710561

-Too thick and heavy

-Edge cuts worse / is thicker than most other knives (due to the geometry)

-Edge cannot stand whacking. One of the least resistant edges on vg10 Fällknivens, to the point of frustration

-Rubber turns to shit with time. I had to superglue the spaces in between the tang and the handle in the guard part

-Random-ass grind. My A1 is very thin in the belly and very thick (chisel-like)

-Utter shit coating (if you ever wanted one with coating)

What good is a sharpened prybar if you can't cut / you damage the edge very easily?

In summary, my A1 underperforms against any other more specific knife. Even the Cold Steel carbon SRK is a better knife.

I'm against all ods with these oppinions because the internet doesnt stop praising the brand, I wonder if they actually used them or are just parroting
>>
>>710571
from what you are saying, its not unlikely they are chink knives inflated under a brand name. those are all the complaints i have with the 5-10 dollar blades you can buy from china off ebay. poor geometry and fitting, poor cutting edge, and the thickness makes it more impossible to cut. wholly a look piece
>>
>>710575

They're actually japanese, made by Hattori, I understand.

It's not a bad knife, maybe 7/10, but it is by far not worth the price, in fact none of the knives are worth the price.

Fällknivens should be in the 70 $ range.

For that type of knife / prybar I ended up switching to a Busse Boss Jack
>>
>>710546
>>710546
its a great knife, one of the best you can get, but they are heavily overpriced. you can get a similar full tang knife with high quality steel for half the price easily. Buy a Mora and a small axe and you are gonna get through 99% of all out tasks.

About the knives themselves they are supergood, comes sharp as fuck out lf the box, holds an edge extremly well, and they got a lifetime warranty incase u manage to somehow break one. It's the Go-to knife for most swedish military officers if that gets u off. But really you can get so much more out of a mora, u dont wanna abuse a Fällkniven even if u have one.
If you feel like spoiling urself - go for it. But if u dont shit gold then put that money into something more worth the money, like a really good backpack or shoes.
>>
>>710575
They're made in Japan, in Seki city by Hattori it's the same place the CS VG-1 knives are made and a few of them are essentially copies of the CS equivalents like the master hunter and SRK which Fallkniven used to distribute before they started their own lines.

>http://hattoricollector.com/

They're good knives, I think what previous anon was describing was the knife suffering from
>outdoors survival knife, intended to be battoned to fuck so has to be made overly thick being hard stainless to protect the manufacturer and thus making the knife less useful as a knife etc
IMO the CS versions are better value as they're usually 2/3 the price.
>>
>>710546
>>710555
Just a friendly reminder that threads about weapons which do not pertain to their use in outdoor activities should be posted on /k/ instead. Thanks.

>checked
>saged
>>
>>710590

I also own other knives besides the A1

I have a WM1, Kolt, U2 and U4.

They all have shit edge resistance to wear.

It's unnerving to see the edge flatten when you make some force on hard surfaces like barnished wood.

Just as an example, I banged my Busse against a metal lamp accidentaly and there was no damage whatsoever to the edge
>>
>>710595
Yeah I was only referring to edge geometry and thickness, I find most outdoor/camp/survival marketed knives are made ridiculously thick.
>>
File: 20150526_122022i.jpg (2MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
20150526_122022i.jpg
2MB, 2656x1494px
>>710546

brilliant

I've been carrying it for every /out/ing now for just over a year- I've had to sharpen it ONCE

it hasn't been used for any retarded thing like batoning, but it's been a great food prep/whittling/fishing/general use knife...... and it weighs like 50g I don't feel like I've been robbed on the £120 price tag the same way I do with my ESEE 3 either

I can't recommend it highly enough
>>
KA-BAR hunters are better

They'll last longer than you

Cheaper too
>>
Buy an ESEE if you want an affordable hard-use knife, or a Bark River if you don't mind the price. Some serious shit right there.

VG10 is just too chippy to take hard use without an edge too thick to appeal to me.
>>
>OP asks about knives for /out/ adventures
>then this asshole >>710591
>"muh board is only for outdoors"
>can he even read?
>>
>>710897
questioning the motives of autists is an inherently flawed course of action
>>
>>710546
i fell for it, no good edge retention despite the hyped sgps (super gold powder steel) and really difficult to sharpen.
mine just collects dust in a drawer now.
>>
I went for the esse 4 instead of the falkniven f1, which is the same thickness. i just opted for it because its a bit cheaper with a killer warranty and easier to buy in my area, the knife itself is probably not quite up to par with falkniven

id say stick to a 1/8" thickness or less. the 3/16" blade is beefy as fuck. which is great if your main selling point is durability, but as others have said most people would be better served with something similar to a mora style blade, and a hatchet if you need the heavier tool.
>>
>>710849

I never thought I'd say this but I do in fact think ESEEs are miles better than Fällknivens.

Even certain Cold Steels are better, all things considered.

I'm just massively dissappointed with the brand, the only one I love is the G1, which is also massively overpriced.

You can believe me or not, but I think Chris Reeve knives (fixed blades) are waaaay better than the meme says and that Fällknivens are waaaay worse than the meme says
>>
>>710564

>Don't get to wrapped in in knives.

Underrated

I now carry a 3 inch skeletonized knife instead of any one of my 80+ tacticool military knives I have in the collection.
>>
File: IMG_2499.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2499.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
Took some pics, I'm the anon that is underwhelmed with Fällknivens.

Here are my A1 credentials
>>
File: IMG_2501.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2501.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
It's been used and it has grown on me, but as I say the edge will not hold up to chopping or smacking against something harder than soft wood.

Why smack it, you say? Why chop with it?

Because if I just wanted a good cutter I'd use my Mora or my Opinel, not a 11oz 6mm thick prybar.
>>
File: IMG_2500.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2500.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
The knife was coated but I took it off, because it was shit (one of the worst coatings I have experience with)

As you can see, the guard has also been trimmed. It's much more comfortable and ergonomic now.

The places with obvious sharpening scratches next to the guard are not my fuck ups, those are the areas where I say the grind is fucked up.

The edge is incredibly fine/thin in the belly, but next to the guard it is very chisel-like, very abrupt, and even though it's sharp, it can't cut for shit because it has a massive "shoulder"
>>
File: IMG_2503.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2503.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
This is the knife I actually use outdoors, strapped to my backpack for shoulder carry.

I feel very operator when I wear it that way.

Haters gonna hate and memers gonna hate also, but I find this knife to be incredibly good, and it cuts really well.

As for the toughness, I've climbed a steep ice wall just by stabbing it with this knife and using it as leverage.
>>
>>711112
>I feel very operator

Fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>711172

What kind of boring fuck are you that gets triggered like a bitch when people talk about having fun?
>>
>>711180
Your a faggot.
>>
>>710571
This
>>
>>711064
Do you say that because of the reputation of Fallkniven, or because you have an issue with ESEE's? Because I have never heard anything bad about ESEE's before.
>>
>>710559
>>710571
>>710575

>Buy a knife for over 200$
>It's complete and utter shit
>Buy 4 more

Not sure if competitor's marketer

You can get more for the money though.
The Ka Bar Becker series is awesome.
>>
>>712908

I bought them before I started using them seriously.

In fact the A1 is the only one that would see serious action, because the rest are for food or very small to do anything major.

I'm strongly against them not because they're terrible, but because I think the general consensus on them is either paid by the brand or delusional, because Fällknivens are by far not as good as the internet says they are.
>>
got myself a fällkniven s1 13 years ago, been using it for hiking, bushcrafting, fishing,camping and batoning wood since then, nothing wrong with it yet, hell even the original cordura sheat still holds up good...
its a high quality knife
>>
>>710590
Vg1 isn't as good as vg10 though
>>
>>715263
>>715263
Define good, VG-10 is more abrasion resistant, harder and much more brittle, in an outdoors survival knife it's debatable whether those properties make it better.
>>
>>715425

Speaking from experience, what turns an edge to shit is not abrasion resistance, but shock resistance.

The edge in my A1 holds very well cutting light stuff, but goes to shit instantly doing any other thing.

For me a survival / outdoors / military / non-kitchen knife should focus on toughness. Not for retarded batoning, but for edge impact resistance.

Luckily for us the toughest steels are usually easier to sharpen.

I've also learned rust is a meme. Even if a carbon knife rusts a lot, you can easily wash it off with sand and water.
>>
>>715441
I think you're on to it, my edc vg-10 knife holds an edge really well cutting boxes, strapping, silicon etc but it's not a steel I'd choose for beating on.
>>
>>715441
Yarp. VG10 and actually a lot of the newer stainless steels are very 'chippy' whereas a lot of carbon alloys tend to bend instead. Virtuovice on youtube talks about this a lot, granted its in broken Japanese-accented English, but still. Pretty interesting stuff.
>>
>>710571
>>710595
>>710927

What is a shapening stone?
>>
>>715618
Exactly what the name implies
>>
>>715640
A stone that is continually getting sharper?
>>
>>715681
i dont know man, somehow i always figured that its something you gotta use to keep your knife sharp, i always had to anyway, no matter how much money i have spent o a knife i always need to sharpen it to keep it sharp..
why cant someone invent a knife i can use as a hatchet and baton with all day long without needing to sharpen it?
>>
>>715686
You need a lightsabre. No idea how long the batteries last but when was the last time you saw a jedi charging one? Think about it.
>>
>>715618

Using a sharpening stone to grind the knife away every time you use it just because the retarded edge will always flatten is unacceptable for me.

Many knives dont need that kind of continuous maintenance, and it's retarded for Fällkniven to market their A1 as a survival knife if it needs that constant care.

I switched knives though.

And I do use a Fällkniven DC4 stone indeed.
>>
>>715693
bet the batteries are expensive as hell
>>
>>715694
What did you replace the a1 with?
>>
File: IMG_2505.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2505.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>715737

Boss Jack prototype
>>
>>715618
I had no luck with ordinary stones on sgps, so I had to get fägknivens recommended diamond/ceramic stones (their own brand of course). This worked better since the grain is huge. They could have just told me to buy some sandpaper.
Still lots of work for an edge that I think holds up worse than my spartan. Sometimes when I use the vic hard, I think, "oh boy, this will fuck it up for good", but then it shows no nick or fold at all and i'm impressed. Can't say the same for fägkniven.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.