[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old dog, are harnesses practical for day long outings?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

File: onetigris-dog-harness.jpg (75KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
onetigris-dog-harness.jpg
75KB, 640x640px
About 8 months ago my 8 year old mutt tore a ligament in his knee and had to have surgery to fix it. He harmed it by going from a standstill to a full sprint chasing after a ball. He's fully recovered, but was still advised to be on the safe side, to not have him sprinting anymore.

I thought about picking one of these up, as they have handles that would make it easier for me to carry him and his weight if he does get hurt again out on a hike, especially if I'm many hours into the hike. He's 80lbs and squirms if you try to pick him up regularly, so I figured picking him up by a harness could be easier. Anyone have any experience with these in general? Are they worth the money?
>>
>>710396
They are designed just to help the pupper on tight spots, not to carry them like groceries. Besides, you'll both get tired walking a couple kms with the guy allways changing hands.

If you are going to take him with you in a long hike (which you know you shouldn't), just take it slow.
>>
File: dogview_DBharness2_Zoom.jpg (285KB, 840x622px) Image search: [Google]
dogview_DBharness2_Zoom.jpg
285KB, 840x622px
>>710396
I know a lot of trainers who use the Ruffwear DoubleBack harness for helicopter/high angle work, and the Webmaster for less technical areas. You're better off sticking to short excursions and easy trails, though. 80lbs is a lot to haul around, there's a good chance that you might both be injured if you stumble at the end of a long hike.
>>
I say you do it with style OP
>>
>>710718
Choparator/10
>>
>>710396
For a short while it would be fine, but it is not meant for long term carry. It would be exhausting and it isn't easy on the dog, either. You need to very slowly work up to that sort of physical activity. Start slow and work your way up a little bit each day, and always give her a break if she needs it
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>710718
Fuck I wish I had a tactical doge holster. Possibly a boot holster for sidedoge.
>>
>>710785
OP here.

I've been taking him down to the river and our usual walks beforehand. He hasn't shown any limping since he's fully recovered from the surgery. I keep him leashed on hikes anyways out of courtesy and because where I take him, there's like 80 foot drops and he's too dumb for me to trust him around drops like that. The biggest worry I have is if he gets some other unrelated injury like if he gets his leg caught in between rocks and breaks something.
>>
>>710793
You are basically looking for someone to tell you that is ok to bring him with you, and nobody thinks it is, not even you. Just avoid a potential shitstorm.
>>
File: IMG_8969.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8969.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>710396
It sounds like long hiking days are over for your furry friend. You need to accept that.

I have a 13 year old beagle. When he was younger he'd hike 10 miles a day no problem. These days he'll walk around the farm and sniff for rabbits, but that's it, his hips are pretty bad. Over the last couple years I've been canoeing a lot more. He just sits there and looks around all day. It's perfect for his achy old bones. Try taking up canoeing if you can/want to.
>>
I wouldn't make the dog carry more than a pound or two. Any more than that could easily damage their joints or whatever and that type of damage isn't immediately apparent. You won't see them limping around even if you are hurting them.
>>
File: 1455638507071.jpg (69KB, 640x714px) Image search: [Google]
1455638507071.jpg
69KB, 640x714px
>>710789
Why am I not surprised a tripfag has a shit tier lap dog and bongos?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.