[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Your thoughts on freeze dried camping food?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: 510134.jpg (56KB, 363x440px) Image search: [Google]
510134.jpg
56KB, 363x440px
I only ate these once when I was a kid in a christian scouting program. I liked them, I soner what ya'll think about them
>>
I'd rather buy MREs than that overpriced Mountain House shit.
>>
>>709932
They *are* rather expensive but taste good and are super easy to prepare. In addition there is little to no clean up required 'cuz you eat from the bag it comes in. I have about 20 MH meals in my kit and we regularly take them with us when hiking, canoeing or camping.

Chili Mac - Beef Stroganoff - Breakfast Skillet are my three favorites.
>>
yeah they are pretty tasty and super easy. I would buy them all the time if I could afford to.
>>
>>709932
Depends on what you want it for. If you're going a a couple day trip and don't want to have to cook or wash dishes, MH is great. If your hiking, they have a very low cal/weight ratio unless you add oil/butter to them and take up a lot of space and get expensive quick. If you want to stow them away for shtf, lol. There's better options.

If one product was best in every situation, there would only be one product.
>>
I'm not talking about this brand in particular, just talking about freeze dried camping food in general
>>
You gotta consider how long you're gonna be out too. These are fine for 1-3 nights maybe, but after that they get pretty old.
>>
I was introduced to freeze dried food because in our military we are issued real field meal from drytech. So I ate a fair share of them. They are very practical and taste good enough for what it is. It's obviously not gonna be as good as something you cooked at home, but that's fine.
I have also been deterred from buying them because of the price. But I found a few for sale, so I have a few of them I can bring for my next trip. I wouldn't like to buy these for the full price. I wish there were some cheaper budget options for freeze dried food here. But in my country I've only found Drytech, Trek 'n Eat and Mountain House. Trek 'n Eat is less expensive than the others so I bought one of those to try.
>>
>>709948
>MH expensive

If you want sticker shock you should look at Heather's Choice. But much higher quality and better taste.

>>709959
I like Pack It Gourmet because they have much more variety.
>>
>>709932
>what ya'll think about them

I picked up a bag of Mountain Shit House Pad Thai this past fall when turkey hunting just to try it out, as you guys said it was the best and it tasted like absolute dog shit.
>>
Honestly not that many calories or grams of protein. If you're just doing weekend outings or camping and you have the money and that's your thing, go for it.

I always take lipton sides, rice a roni, or other cheap pre seasoned meals. I carry a small bottle of olive oil, extra instant rice, cheese, and add foil packs of tuna.
>>
>>710946
>Pad Thai was the best
And you trusted advice given on 4Chan unconditionally... Good job!
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 500x500px
I like these better. Any one know if you can boil them in the bag?
>>
>>710968

Nope, they aren't designed for it. BPA will come off the plastic and into the water.
>>
File: 14578875595641522342123.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
14578875595641522342123.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>710946

>Hey guys i bought freeze dried pad thai and it tasted horrible xD
>>
>>710968
Try bags of minute rice. I hear those cook in the bag well.
>>
>>710953
What this guy said.
>>
>>709932
You've got the time and the resources to try Knorr with just water. Be an asset, not a liability. Trust me, I'm a wealthy manager.
>>
>>711165
What a shit thread that was
>>
>>711617
Clearly you prefer to continue being a liability to the site rather than an asset.
>>
>>710946
I ate a spoonful of that one by accident once. Low light in the tent and I grabbed my hunting buddy's meal by mistake.

Sick joke of MH to label that pad thai, should have been named Ground Peanuts and Salt with Rice Noodles made by White People.
>>
why waste the money on a meal that is freeze dried that is 1 meal and is around 8 dollars each when you can dehydrate your own meals for damn near nothing and get many meals worth.
>>
>>711656
Because preservatives and MSG make it delicious.
>>
>>711674
>delicious heart disease
>>
File: ballz.jpg (91KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
ballz.jpg
91KB, 960x720px
>>709932
>2016
>not just taking flour and water and baking flatbread under your firepit that it's so hard you have to beat it against a rock to clean it of sand a dirt
Kek, lern2arab
>>
>>711656
Is it hard to dehydrate your own food ? Do you need any special stuff or what ? I bough a vacuum sealer a few weeks ago to make home made MRE and this sounds interesting
>>
>>712799
You can dehydrate in the oven on its lowest setting but those commercial dehydrators are really easy to use, yield much better results and not all that expensive to buy. I use my dehydrator and vacuum sealer to make veggie packs to add to ramen. Zucchini, eggplant, sweet peppers, onion and a heaping teaspoon of Knorr chicken bullion powder.
>>
>>709932
If you like it then you have the time and facilities to prepare Knorr with just water.
>>
They are good for what they are: Lightweight, long lasting, relatively tasty meals that are easy to prepare and clean up after.

If you are using them for disaster preparedness or similar, they are an order of magnitude better than MREs.
>>
>>713012
>for disaster preparedness ~ they are an order of magnitude better than MREs

Not really, MREs are ready to eat straight from the package, they can be eaten cold but (some packs) also contain a chemical heater. To eat a freeze dried meal, you have to have access to potable water and a heat source capable of boiling the water, so in a true disaster situation, an MRE would be preferable.
>>
>>713056
MREs last at most 10 years while remaining palatable to normal people, and that is only with perfect storage temperature. They are only really guaranteed for 3-5. Freeze dried #10 cans are guaranteed for over 25 years. In addition, MRE's cost significantly more, weigh significantly more, are more susceptible to freezing and heat.

MRE's and other ration-style foods are only cost effective for large organizations that use their stocks on a regular basis, and are universally despised by people that have to eat them for more than a day or two. They are also very easy to order through GSA, and meet certain government requirements for emergency food supplies for first responder organizations. All of which does very little to recommend them to the average person for food during a disaster that is unlikely to unfold.

Anybody reading Chinese cartoon message boards lacks the need for the kind of volume necessary to make an MRE order cost effective .
>>
>>710545
If you want a real shock, watch Sophie's Choice.
>>
>>711617
W-what thread?
>>
>>709932

I love the stuff. It tastes good and is easy to prepare, not to mention that there is a lot of food in each pouch. They do tend to be expensive but I honestly think that mountain house is better than a lot of their competitors. I use them as supper during backpacking trips and have been happy with them for that purpose.
>>
>>709932
I like the freeze dried ones because they don't weigh much. I never got bored of them, but then again I haven't had them for 10 years, not sure how their menu has changed.

>>709939
Have fun carrying all that extra weight.

>>712799
Dehydrators aren't that expensive. Freeze driers are about the same as a 3D printer. Harvestright.com
>>
>>713161
lel
>>
>>713183
>Freeze driers are about the same as a 3D printer.
I take that back. They're like $3-6k.
>>
>>712796
>dogmartini.jpg
>>
Expensive. Low calories. Makes up for this by being crammed with nutrients that foods like rice and Top Ramen lack. Pretty tasty and with Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry and like 3 other brands there are a shitload of different options for foods.
>>
>>713324
>crammed with nutrients that foods like rice and Top Ramen lack
why not just rice and vitamins
>>
>>709932
overpriced meme for dumb fucks who can't boil pasta desu
>>
>>710968
MY NIGGUH.
Knorrrs Pasta Sides are my shit. Don't boil them in the bag. Get a small pot, get water to a boil, add one bag of that shit, stir, cover and turn off the stove. 5 minutes later and you got some motherfucking penee alfredo.
It took me several attempts to get the amount of water right. If you add too much water it becomes well...to watery. And this shit is still creamy and delicious with milk or butter. It's fucking glorious buying these guys for $1 each. Cooking two at a time will net you 960 satisfying calories and you'll feel full. They already weigh little, and their packaging is acute. You can even take the contents out and save even more space by putting them in ziploc baggies.
>>
>>713337
The rice sides are fucking awesome too.
>>
>>709939
i would say the exact opposite. the mre's are one of my last choice's
>>
>>713336
they are expensive, but for longer trips where weight becomes a huge factor it is one of the best options. i would use them in a heartbeat and i would bet i have far more experience than most of the cowboys posting on here.
>>
>>713056
>they can be eaten cold
you were obviously never in the military.
After a few days eating frozen(1st gen. did not have heaters) chicken ala king you would feel different.
>>
>>715011
I never had the dubious pleasure of eating a Chicken Ala King one, but I am told it wasn't much better warm.

On the other hand, our local Winco somehow got a pallet or two of MRE entrees and I learned to love lukewarm chilimac
>>
>>709932
Yup, it's food.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.