[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you use to sharpen your knives?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 26

File: 441-1-1415974215.jpg (35KB, 575x541px) Image search: [Google]
441-1-1415974215.jpg
35KB, 575x541px
>>
>>709884
the bottom of a ceramic coffee mug
>>
Exactly what's on your pic, I add one more finer stone and a piece of leather. I mostly use the stones minus the clamp unless i really need a neat edge.
Also a river stone.
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>>709884
Pic related

I bought one of those Smith's double-sided diamond ones for $20 from Dick's. It's more of a portable deal and works well to get a decent edge but could probably use one finer step.

I'm not turbo-autist when it comes to the knives though. I'm just here for the shitposting.
>>
I'm not an elitist when it comes to knives. I buy cheap hunting knives from Wal-Mart or Dick's and replace them when they dull out.
>>
>>709897
>I buy new pencils when the tip is worn down

I feel ya tho. There is a line you can cross.
>>
File: DVC00044.jpg (27KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
DVC00044.jpg
27KB, 240x320px
I use a sharpening block from Harbor Freight and fine sandpaper.
>>
>>709884
Dual grit stone, then various grades of wet wet-dry sandpaper on a sheet of glass.

>>709897
Lazy fucking millenials. Sharpeining knives isn't elitist. Throwing them out when they get dull is wasteful consumerism.
>>
>>709918
>wasteful consumerism

it's a few ounces of metal each month
you probably use more resources driving to the damn store and back than you do on the knife

i'm all for avoiding wasteful consumerism but be real here. don't go all high and mighty eco-conscious elitist over a few ounces of metal when the trash from your last wendy's meal had a larger environmental impact on it's own than a pocket knife.
>>
>>709887
Came here to say this. I sharpen mine around twice a week, more if they need it. Bottom of a coffee mug is god-tier -- as long as you don't get a mug with flaws (e.g., globs of glaze or inclusions that fuck the finish of the mug edge). Just run your finger around the bottom edge of the coffee mug, and avoid any rough spots when sharpening. If the edge on my EDC cheapshit chinkfolder is bad, I'll do eight decay strokes, alternating sides of the blade. For those who aren't familiar with decay, it goes 8L, 8R, 7L, 7R, 6L, 6R, 5L, 5R, 4L, 4R, 3L, 3R, 2L, 2R, 1L, 1R. Shave-sharp, every time.
>>
I just throw my blunt knife in an autistic fit of rage and order a new one.
>>
I give it to my brother who is a professional butcher and he uses these very expensive sharpener and voila
>>
>>709969
Noice.

There used to be this knife sharpener dude who would ride around my old city on this tricycle deal with a big stone wheel on it so it would spin when he pedaled. Haven't seen him years and years though. Wish I had a pic.
>>
>>709896
is tungsten carbide fine for kitchen knives and SAKs?
>>
>>709976
Isn't it incredibly heavy? Plus I think it is normally just used on cutting edges. It is probably fairly brittle.

There was some fixed blade I was looking at online where they use some crazy strong metal on the blade. Somebody posted it here and I can't remember the name. But I guess only like one side of the blade is this crazy hard metal fuzed in there so when you sharpen it, you only sharpen the regular steel side and that produces the edge.
>>
>>709979
Oh, I meant as a sharpener, but I remember seeing that knife you're talking about.
>>
>>709923
Wrong on all counts, troll.
>>
I use 8" DMT Dia-Sharps in course, fine, extra fine, and xx fine.

They were worth the cost. They can sharpen my Kyocera kitchen knives and carbide router bits when nothing else can, they don't dish, they last nearly forever.

I also have a Ken Onion Worksharp. Nifty tool, but it mutilates the tips of knives. I still use it, but never on my "safe queens". Yeah I know, I'm a fag, whatever.
>>
>>709884
fucking poorfags
i just buy a new knife if it gets dull
>>
>>709897
>>709923
>>709995
Is this a meem?
>>
>>709884
Victorinox dual sharpener.
Best deal you can make. 10 bucks for a thing that gets a Becker BK7 razir sharp again in 5 minutes.
I hot glued a strap of leather on to it for stropping. Really good results.
>>
>>709884

Send em out to be done professionally.
>>
>>709964
Absolutely this!

Unglazed ceramic or glass edges give a fantastically sharp edge; and gets even better with finishing strokes on a leather strop.

You'd swear it could split molecules.
>>
File: 780741.jpg (25KB, 440x376px) Image search: [Google]
780741.jpg
25KB, 440x376px
Had one of these for years. Got a back up, just in case.
>>
>>709884
A combination stone and a steel. My /out/ knifes don't see that much abuse, but my kitchen knifes need a resharpening every now and then.
>>
File: hid_sodium_middle.gif (13KB, 215x297px) Image search: [Google]
hid_sodium_middle.gif
13KB, 215x297px
The ceramic arc tube from the I side of high pressure sodium lamps works amazing.
>>
>>709884
I sharpen it on my beard stubble and strop it on my dick.
>>
Large stone

Hard leather
>>
>>709884
I use the Lansky system you have pictured. It works fabulously, but is hard to do on smaller bladed knives, such as a Buck Stockman (301) or any Victorinox knife. It put a hell of an edge on my Buck Pathfinder (105) and my Opinel #9 though.
>>
>>710057

This and an arkansas stone.

Lansky puck for my throwers.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This table mostly
>>
>>710032
>finishing strokes
Those are really the only ones that count.

>>710057
I have one of those in my tacklebox. Not sure if they work but it was $10 so whatever.

>>710629
How does that work?

I'm about to ruin a coffee mug tonight after reading this thread. Is the ceramic mug trick only for a final edge or can you work a fairly dull knife with it?
>>
>>710067
How did you discover that? Also, what's it made of.
>>
>>710728
>what's it made of?
Ceramic mang. There is lots of ceramic in certain lightbulbs and other electrical stuff because of muh insulation. Just think spark plugs. As long as it has the right texture and is big enough, seems like a good idea.
>>
>>710635
>can you work a fairly dull knife with it?
You can, it'll just take fucking forever
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
i have the harbor freight honing block. it works really well for ten bux. also i keep the edge maintained and aligned with the ol' coffee mug trick everyone's talking about.
>>
>>710735
>>710738
I just tried the ol' coffee mug. Seemed to work for me. But I have a hard time telling the difference between sharp and extra sharp.

How many sides does that Harbor Freight block have? That looks decent if I wear out the Smith one I have.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>710635
I just use the edge like I would one of those sharpening rod things you get with kitchen knives. pic related
>>
>>710745
4 sides, 200, 300, 400, and 600 grit
>>
>>711291
I'm surprised that so many of you use plastic sharpening gimmicks and so few use a real stone.
Is free hand sharpening so difficult to you?
>>
File: image.jpg (771KB, 1936x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
771KB, 1936x1936px
Diamond stones
Various grits.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Handed down 3 generations
Not sure of the actual age.
>>
File: latest.png (63KB, 450x323px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
63KB, 450x323px
>>711302
>>
>>711326
Sorry for asking son, I did not want to hurt your feelings. Now go play with your iphone.
>>
File: latest.png (82KB, 450x321px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
82KB, 450x321px
>>711327
>>
>>709897
Sure sucks to grow up without a father.
>>
>>711351
Tying to take Mom fishing just isn't very fun. Went out to the pier with her and I just put some tiny ass hook on this big rod with 40lb line so she could have fun catching these little baitfish.
>>
>>709884
Fällkniven DC3. Its a bluntness mutilator. Its what knives crave.
>>
>>710057

Lansky blade medic also has a ceramic rod
>>
>>711319
I see you come from a generations of people who don't sharpen their knives very often. Unless of course you were just talking about the wood and not the sharpening stone.
>>
>>711848
not that anon
It likely is a honing stone for a straight razor. They last forever if you are not a professional barber.
Also, when a stone develops a valley you grind it flat again, especially when it is an expensive stone, like a green Escher.
>>
>>709975
>big stone wheel on it so it would spin when he pedaled

got one of these, godtier it gives the knife a point, rather then a wedge
>>
>>711796
That Smith one has a little diamond coated rod for serrations and the "fine" slot is ceramic.

Seems nice for $10
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (43KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
43KB, 480x360px
>Error: Comment too long (190388/2000).
Let's just say Japanese whetstones.
>>
I use whetstones or a bench grinder depending on the knife.
>>
File: 711007.jpg (17KB, 571x229px) Image search: [Google]
711007.jpg
17KB, 571x229px
this and a belgian yellow whetstone
>>
Diamond file, orI buy a new knife.
>>
>>709884
stainless : sandpaper

carbon: wetstones
>>
>>711984

Does that guy make the jap stones?
>>
Fallraven DC4 sharpening stone.
>>
File: DSCF0510.jpg (626KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0510.jpg
626KB, 1600x1200px
I have Work Sharp.
>>
>>714182
When you use these things, is it just one step or do you have to sharpen on something fine afterward for a nice edge?
>>
>>714137
Fjallkniven

Fjallraven makes clothing
>>
>>714186
It depends. Changing belts is no different than using different stones. You can touch up an edge or make one.
>>
>>711984
>Wranglestar
Fuck that fundamentalist shitgoblin.

Though I have come to agree with him on the whole sack lunch debacle, after much thought.
>>
>>714196
Ok. I had a feeling you could probably swap out the wheels or belts or whatever they use.
>>
advice on what anon should get for an entry level setup to sharpen my shitty 8cr china knife beaters?
>>
File: image.jpg (122KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122KB, 640x1136px
>>714792
Those Lansky kits that everybody uses are fairly cheap if you want to order online. Otherwise if you want to buy at a real store, Dick's always has pic related for around $30. They are similar to the Lansky kits and pretty much all inclusive.

If you want to go cheaper, everybody sells the Smith's little pull through sharpeners for around $10. Or an Arkansas stone for $15-$20. I bought this Smith's 2 sided diamond sharpener for around $20. Good size to keep in the backpack if needed but the "fine" side isn't quite fine enough to get it 100% razor blade. Gets it 90% of the way.
>>
File: crocksticks.jpg (82KB, 800x475px) Image search: [Google]
crocksticks.jpg
82KB, 800x475px
>>714792
A diamond stone. Avoid the cheapest ones in which the diamond coating comes off quickly.
>protip: use eraser (rubber) for cleaning. It works suprisingly well.

Medium grit, or if you really beat your knives, then coarse.

>protip: Use water when possible. Some "official" sources say the opposite)

If you want your knives really sharp, buy Lansky Crock Sticks box (the one with two different stick sets).
>>
File: .jpg (159KB, 1000x918px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
159KB, 1000x918px
>>709884
I use the underside of a pic related.
>>
>>709997
Just typical retarded Western consumerism.
>>
>>714583
>Though I have come to agree with him on the whole sack lunch debacle, after much thought.

Develop your hypothesis
>>
>>715371
Really, it just boils down to the NFS getting jack shit as far as food for the amount of money they pay for each of those sack lunches.

At first I just though he was being whiny, and he IS being whiny. But if you ignore his batshit insane, old-testament dietary restrictions, that is not nearly enough food for 1. A wildland handcrew worker and 2. $17 dollars each, payed with your tax dollars.

$17 dollars worth of food, according to whatever shitty contractor made these sack lunches is:
small ham and cheese sandwich with two rather small slices of ham on it.
tiny bag of Doritos
3-4 string cheese
snack type granola bar
whatever the fuck a 'nut roll' is
fruit snacks
half an avocado, which is actually really nice
an apple
some saltines
salted peanuts
a Spam single

Somehow, that doesn't seem like $17 dollars of food to me, even factoring transport out to the fire area, as all of it is ready to eat and non-refrigerated.

And that is how I found myself agreeing with what amounts to the evangelical, right-wing version of a hipster.
>>
>>709884

Any bog-standard two-sided sharpening stone of about 400/600 grits for initial shaping and fixing the edge, then I use a block of Welsh slate (lapped against a sheet of toughened glass and wet-and-dry paper to ensure it's completely level) for the final edge. You can use a smaller piece of lapped slate to work up a good slurry on the grinding surface, which can come in at anywhere between 8000 and 12000 grit. Then strop on canvas and oiled leather between uses to extend the edge life between honing.
>>
>>715634
I'm not American, but that "lunch" was not worth 17 bucks. There's someone stealing money, no question about it.
>>
>>715885
Yup, which is why I actually agreed with him for the first time in the history of the world.
>>
>>715885
What is even better is that he won't eat pork due to parts of the book of Leviticus in the old testament. His complaints about the nutritional value of the food, however, where correct.
>>
>>715634
Fucking what? Can they not just buy pallets of fucking MREs from the DOD? Mountain House tins? Inexcusable. I'm gonna remember this if I ever end up working for the NFS, this is disgraceful.

Searing-hot rage aside, you could make a pretty boss Sandwich with the Apple and Avocado. Who the hell eats an Avocado solo?
>>
I use the unglazed parts of ceramic tiles.
>>
>>716130
Yeah, that's what I thought. Really, it just boils down to that not being enough food for the work wildland firefighters are doing, and also way too little food for $17 dollars
>>
>>715634
That shouldn't even cost $17 in Manhattan.

Maybe in Tokyo.
>>
>>716254
I've been to Tokyo, and you could eat for an entire day or more on $17 in yen. They have so much good, cheap food over there. 7-11 and Lawson's over there are full of rice balls, curry bread, katsu sandwiches, microwaveable curry and a 100 other delicious ready to eat foods that get replaced daily.
>>
>>716313
its cheap because its made of ground house cat. and radioactive fish. with toxic waste grown rice.
>>
>>714591

Not op, I got one too. Swapping the belts take like 5 seconds. There is so many after market belts, which you should Def get. Cause the belts that come from it is like 120 grit, 220 grit, than 7000 grit. With how fast that belt is going, that 220 grit eats metal really quick. I got after market belts, so I'll start at 1k instead of 220. I start 1k, move up 1k with each belt, all the way to 13k grit. I made a small leather belt for it, which input polish compound on it, the edge is just beautiful.
>>
>>710629
Can do this on car windows as well. Does good for honing
>>
>>716313
my Jap gf told me this, their department stores are like our food trucks in terms of the quality of food. Glico curry is disgusting though.
>>
>>716182
Someone's got to be taking bribes for the NFS to be sticking with that contractor.
>>
I look at tits and ass. It makes my dick diamonds. Then I sharpen my knife on my dick.
>>
>>718697
Oh, 4chan, how I've missed you.

See this, folks? This is a fine example of how it used to be before normalfags poured in and shat the place up.
>>
>>718739
If you're really old enough to be an oldfag and you still find that amusing you have mental problems. In which case, /b/ or cripplechan are the place for you.
>>
File: IMG_20160322_064154.jpg (748KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160322_064154.jpg
748KB, 1520x2688px
>>
>>718739
I see comments like that all over this site.
Even /lit/ destroyed the innocence of that poor lady that liked to review books on YouTube. Such a qt

I'm calling bullshit on your post
>>
after reading this read its clear most of you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. You don't even understand the difference between sharpening and honing
>>
>>719780

Develop your hypothesis
>>
How do I keep a consistent angle when using a whetstone?
>>
>>721731
came here to axe this so 2nded
>>
>>721731
lock your wrist and move the blade towards yourself whilst supporting and adding pressure to the mid blade. (same technique as filing steel) Be careful at the start and end of the stroke as this is where most people end up 'rolling' the blade in one direction or the other which rounds the edge. Mostly it is practice.
I used to use really cheap steel kitchen knives to practice when I was a kid because they grind fast and are easily replaceable.

But yeah, if you want to do it without silly equipment and guide rods, just practice.
>>
>>709884
Are these better than sharpening stones? I was thinking of getting one of these systems, but then I found a stone in my shed buried under some stuff while looking for something. What is the actual advantage of these systems? Are they supposed to be more convenient or reliable?
>>
File: buck diamond sharpener.jpg (112KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
buck diamond sharpener.jpg
112KB, 800x800px
I use a Buck diamond sharpener. I found one on clearance for 15 dollars in Canadian Tire. I honestly find diamond to be superior to stones when it comes to sharpening.
>>
>>722333
Easier to get a consistent angle so you get a better edge
>>
>>722333

The truth is that it's a matter of deciding between:

1) spending the time up-front to learn how to freehand on full size stones, and them be able to sharpen knives quickly once you know how.

Or

2) Get a guided system and don't have to spend much time learning up front, but each knife takes significantly longer to sharpen. Like 2-5x as long as freehanding.
>>
>>722388
If you got the technique, you get a better edge with the stones, especially because you can get stones in insane fine grits. also, if you need to fieldsharpen your knife, it is easier to bring a small stone than a full kit.
>ever seen a carpenter or a cook sharpen his knifes with a kit?
>>
>>722594
>cook sharpen his knifes with a kit
I've worked restaurant for far too many years and I've never seen a cook/chef sharpen a knife. Sure they'll use a steel to hone/straighten and call it sharpening but it ain't.
knife service for lesser kitchens/cooks.
The ones that owned knives sent them out as well.
>>
I use silicon carbide waterstones that were specially designed to cut high speed steel quickly and hanging leather strops with diamond paste.

I sharpen the edge bevel on the 1k stone and then strop on 6 micron diamond on a hanging leather strop.

Will give you an edge that will push cut newsprint at 90 degrees across the grain while still having good slicing agression in about 5 minutes TOTAL.
>>
I don't use anything because I'm scared to fuck up my knife and I don't know where to start with it.
>>
>>724470
Get a shit knife to practice on.
>>
>>709964
Good info here.

I use a fine stone instead of a coffee mug, but the decay strokes work.
>>
>>709884
Rock
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>724567
I did that coffee mug trick on my CRKT SPEW. The cutting edge on the knife is straight because wharncliffe or whatever the blade shape is called. The coffee mug got that fucker razor sharp.

Tried to sharpen some cheap folder Frost that I have on my Smith's diamond thing and then do the mug. The Smith's deal has a coarse side and fine side and will put a decent edge but seems like the ceramic mug is a good third step. Can't seem to get the cheap folder as sharp at that CRKT though. Not sure if it's the steel or the blade shape.

>>724470
Just go for it. If your knife is getting kinda dull anyway, you aren't going to make it any worse. Or you could get one of those $10 pocket sharpeners that you pull the blade through. Either way practice is the only way you will get any good at it. I sure as hell don't know what I'm doing but the knives still normally end up sharper than when I started.
>>
>>724470
I'm with u bruh it's scary

But get a mora and practice. The scandi grind makes sharpening much much easier as the angle pretty much sets itself.

Besides, you could literally trash the edge of your knife practicing, then take it to some knife sharpener guy at a market and have it immaculate again for a few bucks
>>
>>724470
>>724904

Honestly, learning to freehand is not that hard, just time consuming. Practice on cheap Scandi ground knives on a coarse stone (below 1,000 grit).

Once you can get a burr along the whole edge on both sides, add a ~1,000 grit stone and a hanging leather strop with ~16 grit diamond paste and you will learn to get terrifyingly sharp edges very quickly.

Once you have learned these skills, it will take you literally 5-10 minutes to get a pocket knife scary sharp.
>>
File: medium arkansas.jpg (123KB, 1200x777px) Image search: [Google]
medium arkansas.jpg
123KB, 1200x777px
bought 6 medium arkansas stones and a razorstone at an estate sale a few years ago, all for $10, and ive only needed 1 medium stone so far. if you arent good at free hand sharpening on a stone, youre missing out. its very relaxing
>>
Sandpaper and a piece of leather without any compound.

>250
>600
>800
>1000
the grits that I have. I use mostly only the 1000
>>
Sandpaper and a pane of glass.
Yes, I know how to use a stone, but sandpaper is cheap, widely available, and works just as well if not better than a stone.
>>
>>714583
Can I get a link to the video? I've no idea what you're talking about, something about the national forest service not getting adequate food?
>>
>>714182
I dont have the special edition but this it the best product I've ever had. It literally takes seconds to get a beautiful edge back on a blade.
>>
File: Apex4knife.jpg (100KB, 400x291px) Image search: [Google]
Apex4knife.jpg
100KB, 400x291px
>>709884
I have a bunch of stuff, depending on the application.
1) Edge pro apex - when I'm feeling autistic and want a beautiful shiny bevel. I typically use this on my higher end EDC folders.
2) Spyderco Sharpmaker- Typically used when I'm being less autistic and just want to touc my EDC blade up. Best investment I've made.
3) Strops - I have bare leather, leather with various compouds, balsa, even have fashioned a few out of cardboard. Good for keeping a working edge or really, really taking an edge to the next level.
4) Whetstones - I have a few oil stones I got from my father, and a nice India combo stone from Norton. I lack the skill to put a hair splitting edge on anything with these, for lack of skills and finer grit progression. I typically sharpen my kitchen knives with these.
5) Sandpaper- I use wet/dry and a soft backing to sharpen my convex edges. I have been meaning to grab some micro-mesh to next level that shit, but taking it up to 2500 and stropping on a piece of cardboard loaded with mother's mag polish works well.
6) Diamonds- I have a set of DMT credit card hones that I keep on my wallet. Was carrying the fine but switched to carrying the coarse as most people need some real major work. I use this to sharpen other peoples knives on the fly. Typically finish on the bottom of a coffee mug and strop on whatever is available, either newspaper or the back of my belt depending if I'm about to take my pants off anyway. Chick dig a man that know what he's doing.

I think the Sharpmaker was my best investment, and I think the Edge Pro was a necessary investment once I started dropping some real coin on knives. Most people are impressed by a factory edge, I always give a few swipes on the UF sharpmaker stones at least.

I have a few friends that have the Lansky and have always wondered if the DMT Alinger is not a better product. However, if I could do it all over again I'd go Sharpmaker to freehand sharpening. It takes years to master tho.
>>
>>711255
Jesus H that edge looks like hel
>>
>>725386
I've derailed the thread enough with my rant about him. Just look up 'sack lunch' on his (Wranglestar) channel.
>>
Japanese Wet Stones... why the fuck would you use anything else? Also, a leather strop and car window.
>>
>>727248

Japanese water stones are great if you are willing to invest the time and money in them. I always recommend Sigma Power Select II because they are simply the fastest cutting Japanese waterstones on the market and can easily deal with high-carbide steels that can give aluminum oxide based waterstones fits.
>>
>>727526
They are cheap and arguably the best tool for the job. You have good taste in stones, sounds like you know your shit =]
>>
>>727526
Is there a best stone for stainless?

I can sharpen carbon fine, but stainless seems different.
>>
>>727673

Issues with stainless steels vs. carbon steels tend to come in two varieties:

1) Cheap stainless is quite prone to forming a ragged, floppy burr that can be hard to remove and which makes forming a clean apex a pain.

2) Expensive stainless steels tend to have a lot more wear resistance and so can be hard to sharpen with stones that cut perfectly well on carbon steels.

Do you prefer oilstones, waterstones, or solid stones? There are good options for each type.
>>
>>709964
you can also use the top of your car windows. glass works really well so old bottles or jars with a roughed up edge are also excellent
>>
File: 20150404-161408.jpg (226KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
20150404-161408.jpg
226KB, 1024x768px
How should I sharpen my Douk Douk if I don't want to mess up the engraving?
>>
>>728702

A car window is going to act much more like a steeling rod than the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup, with will act more like an (uneven, random grit, random hardness) sintered ceramic sharpening stone.
>>
>>728721
If you sharpen your knife like a normal person, the engraving should be fine. The engraving is quite a ways away from the edge.
>>
>>728933
it's a flat grind
>>
>>729050

So? Put a small micro bevel on it with the spine off the stone and it will be fine.
>>
>>729050
Yeah, so keep the knife at the angle the grind is and sharpen.

If done right (by keeping the same angle), the engraved part will not contact the stone.

Go slow if your worried until you get the hang of it. Or better yet, practise on a shit knife with a similar grind first.
>>
Japanese whetstone and a piece of wood with leather glued to both sides of it for a strop. One side has a polishing compound thd other doesnt.
>>
>>714804
>the "fine" side isn't quite fine enough to get it 100% razor blade. Gets it 90% of the way.

Every time I've tried to use one of those things, the ceramic side just seemed to dull up my knife. It always confused the fuck out of me, is ceramic shit for sharpening, or was the Smith I tried just worn out?

Otherwise, I just use a normal sharpening stone and occasionally strop stuff on a pair of jeans.
>>
Can someone explain to me how the entire internet knife community has completely failed to understand the actual behavior of stropping compounds?

Like, how has NO ONE noticed that the effective grit of abrasives on pliable substrates is massively higher than their micron rating?

Is the online knife community really this daft?!
>>
>>729275
I was talking about that 2-sided diamond stone thing I have. I go to a ceramic mug afterwards and that gets it pretty damn sharp.

>>730570
>internet knife community
I want nothing to do with you people
>>
>>730570
>how has NO ONE noticed that the effective grit of abrasives on pliable substrates is massively higher than their micron rating?

Because I have no idea what that means. Which is why I'm lurking in this thread.
>>
>>730891

Basically, in theory, you might expect that all 1000 grit abrasives should act the same and leave a similar edge finish, but the reality is different forms of abrasive with the same grit rating can became MUCH finer or MUCH coarser than the grit rating.
>>
>>730914
Is there a term for this that I can search?
>>
>>730985

"Effective grit" "knife" appears to return a bunch of relevant results.
>>
>>730997
Thanks m8
>>
>>730570
>internet knife community
There's your problem.
>>
File: 1454899664274.jpg (36KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1454899664274.jpg
36KB, 640x360px
>>731537

Fucking tell me about it. Online knife discussions are unbelievably cancerous.
Thread posts: 142
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.