[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knife General 15

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 77

File: knife general 15.jpg (184KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
knife general 15.jpg
184KB, 1024x683px
The previous thread is full, let's talk knives!

I chose this picture because I just bought a new Caly 3.5, a knife that is severely under-rated and should be a lot more popular with the general public than it is.
Previous thread:
>>699667
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>>705350
>let's start another thread before the old one hits the bump limit on a slow ass board!
>>
>>705356
The bump limit is 300 posts, or at least it used to be the last time I checked, which was a long time ago.
>>
File: IMG_20160229_174826065.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160229_174826065.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>
>>705350
Just a friendly reminder that threads about weapons which do not pertain to their use in outdoor activities should be posted on /k/ instead. Thanks.
>>
File: SCAR.jpg (274KB, 1200x869px) Image search: [Google]
SCAR.jpg
274KB, 1200x869px
>>705378
friendly reminder that this is what a weapon actually look like
>>
File: Vergleich-2.jpg (170KB, 1250x625px) Image search: [Google]
Vergleich-2.jpg
170KB, 1250x625px
Cool, is that yours? The Paramilitary is another of my all time favorite knives.

I'll get this thread started by talking about why I really love the Caly 3.5 for EDC.

It's got a 3.5 inch blade, the same size as the Paramilitary 2, but yet has a much smaller handle. The handle to blade ratio is basically one to one. More importantly than the length of the closed knife in the pocket, is the thinness of the knife, for me at least. The Caly 3.5 is extremely thin in its depth which makes it very comfortable for me to carry. I also like having a blade that slices really well, like any of Spyderco's full flat grind knives. The Caly 3.5 has a particularly thin edge though, which makes it a great slicer.

So for me, having a fairly big blade while remaining light and thin and easy to carry in a pocket is what I really like the most in an EDC knife. A paramilitary 2 is just a little too bulky for my personal tastes for keeping in a pocket all day.

What about you guys, what do you guys find important for an EDC knife for yourself?
>>
>>705385
Was responding to >>705372 obviously
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2718x2074px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2718x2074px
>>705356
This is a knife thread, not a knoife thread
>>
>>705392
That second one looks like what would happen if Michael Bay, the Transformers director, designed a Leatherman.
>>
>>705392
I owned a Leatherman supertool 300, then a supertool 300 EOD and a Wave. The wave is by far the best
>>
>>705397
>wave a best
I actually kinda wish the ST300 and the Surge had a better tool selection
>can't have saw AND file on the Surge without bringing extra fiddly bits
>no scissors on the ST300
The only thing that lets me down about the Wave is that the Rebar now has replaceable wire cutters, which they really should put in the Wave if they make a new generation of it
>>
>>705406
Agree with you on the wire cutters thingy. But, I don't use it that much so I'm perfectly fine with my Wave.
Thet will probable never make it though, because they need reasons for people to buy something else than the 120$ Wave...
>>
>>705368
>310 posts

And that doesn't change the fact that new threads are often made closer to 225 posts and there are 3 other knife threads
>>
File: IMG_20160307_185258674.jpg (4MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160307_185258674.jpg
4MB, 2432x4320px
Pic related are the knives I occationally carry (two benchmade most often then less often as you go up the line )
Next on my list is a pm 2 and a draconfly
>>
>>705385
Yeah it's mine, I picked it up a few weeks ago for EDC and innawoods. It's been really great for everything I've thrown at it, which has basically been opening clamshells and carving. I don't really look for anything in particular, I just have lusted after a PM2 for so long and finally put up the dough to get it
>>
>>705535
Where did you buy it? I have a blurple one on preorder but it's not garunteed (guy above you)
>>
File: 20150904_114454.jpg (218KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
20150904_114454.jpg
218KB, 1024x576px
>>705350

If the Cali wasn't a backlock I'd buy one.
>>
File: backlock.jpg (7KB, 200x110px) Image search: [Google]
backlock.jpg
7KB, 200x110px
>>705550

Why don't you like backlocks?
>>
>>705562
I'm the same way as him don't really like backlocks
>>
>>705564

Why? Not saying it's wrong, just curious.
>>
>>705537
I got it off Amazon, but I'll buy from the local shop that just opened from now on
>>
>>705566
Not super easy for one handed closing
I just perfer liner or axis locks, going to try out a compression lock v soon aswell as get a lockback (dragonfly ) even though I'm not a fan of lockback or frn handles but it would be nice to have a little "non intimidating " knife
>>
File: Boker Baby.jpg (2MB, 2876x1616px) Image search: [Google]
Boker Baby.jpg
2MB, 2876x1616px
>>705350
>>705392

my new Boker and Leatherman. cant wait to break em in
>>
>>705515
i have western like youre fixed blade. damn i love those old knives, BSAs, western, solingens, schrades etc all the old classics and regional designs. If i had one classic blade for every 4 POSs i ended up with i would never have to buy a new one
>>
>>705550
>If the Cali wasn't a backlock I'd buy one.
>>705562
>Why don't you like backlocks?
>>705585
>Not super easy for one handed closing

I'm not a big fan of backlocks either. I actually hate framelocks the most. Yet I love liner locks. "They're the same" you're probably thinking. Mechanistically, yes, but I just hate how framelocks mean that at least one half of the knife handle has to be slick, heavy metal, with a big cut in it that makes it less comfortable. Meanwhile liner locks are actually just as strong for almost all purposes, it's a meme that has made framelocks so popular.

Back to backlocks, a lot of people don't like them because they tend to make knife opening and closing a little less smooth than some of the more advanced locks like the axis lock or the compression lock.

I don't know that I'd say they make one-handed opening harder, it's more that they just require better technique.
>>
>>705537
>Where did you buy it? I have a blurple one on preorder
The blurple PM2s aren't even being made currently in Colorado other than an initial first production run in October. So you'll have to wait for Spyderco to stop making other knives and put the blurple PM2 back on the production line in the factory. Which probably means at least another month or two of waiting, because I think they are supposed to start back in March or April.
>>
File: Sage1Web.jpg (78KB, 800x599px) Image search: [Google]
Sage1Web.jpg
78KB, 800x599px
>>705585
>going to try out a compression lock v soon aswell

Speaking of compression locks, it was recently revealed by the head of Spyderco that they're going to be releasing a new Sage knife, the Sage 5, that features a compression lock like the Para-military 2.

I'm pretty stoked about that because I love the Sage and I love compression locks.

It probably won't be available until the end of summer.
>>
>>705949
DESU I've always found with backlocks you close them with a bit of a flick, same way you'd open them, forefinger on the lock, thumb and other fingers on the scales and flick closed. I agree though that linerlocks are real sweeties to open though, much nicer than a backlock, particularly that initial movement.
>>
>>705956
They have already messed to a few websites, blade hq had an inventory and immediately sold out , (I mean fucking immediately within 2-2.5 hours ) bentobox shop has an inventory (albeit) overpriced
They're starting to drop
>>705961
Good to hear, probably will be expensive to be honest
Hopefully il pick a pm 2 soon, the one I backordered chances are I won't get (Iwasnt one of the first ) so I'm looking elsewhere
>>
>>705989
And I'm probably going to order from bento because everyplace else is sold out,
First blurple with s110v
If I can't get that then blue with m390 or foliage green with elmax
>>
File: 1418011331786.gif (202KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1418011331786.gif
202KB, 160x160px
>>705356
tfw your friend uses your newly sharpened mora on you ferro rod and wrecks the blade. Fucking idiot
>>
File: IMG_2493.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2493.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
Jungle knives fot that one time I never went to the jungle
>>
>>705378

Shut up nigger, knives belong here, just like axes, sleep g bags, tents, etc...cause they're all outdoor tools / gear.
>>
>>706041

Stop posting your gay shit, no one longer cares.
>>
The Mora Companion Heavy Duty is only £15 and is carbon steel, Another knife I like is a fold-able 0.1mm thick 400C steel, I only intend to use for wood shavings, food prep, and general cutting; Would the steel difference matter much for what I need?
>>
>>705378
Friendly reminder that you are a pussy and knives are not weapons, they're tools now go drown yourself in a puddle of your daddy's cum
>>
>>706144
Oh and batoning of course
>>
Looking to get a spoon knife. It'll be my first one. Was thinking about either the mora 164 or the mora 162.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks.
>>
File: 1456909772159.jpg (92KB, 459x612px) Image search: [Google]
1456909772159.jpg
92KB, 459x612px
>>705394
>>
>>706041
That busse has one ugly looking handle...
>>
Looking for a fixed blade knife to be used primarily for bushcraft but also for the occasional skinning of reindeer and fjällfåglar (don't know english name, just google it, there are pictures)
Price shouldn't exceed 100usd but it should still last a good while
Any specific recommendations that come to mind, /out/?
>>
>>706314
DESU anything by mora will be cheap and usable for most tasks, unless you wanna get into collecting all the knives.
>>
>>706338
I don't really buy into the whole mora meme. If I want a knife I want a real knife, not some bladed piece of plastic that feels and looks like a toy.
A mora may very well work, but it's not something you look at and go "fuck, that's beautiful knife", and that's somewhat important to me.
May not sound very utilitarian and I know how /out/ likes its utilitarian stuff, but that's how I feel about it.
I'm willing to spend more money for something which looks and feels good when being used.

tl;dr I don't like moras or other knives like it, bring on the shitstorm /out/
>>
>>706348
>not some bladed piece of plastic that feels and looks like a toy.
you never had one in your hands right?
>>
>>706354
We got issued them in the military, i think the clipper it's called. It did the job fairly well. But it's a service knife, not really meant to be very beautiful, it's meant to serve its purpose. So in that sense the mora is fine, it gets the job done, but I'm looking for something a bit more than just that in a personal outdoors knife.
>>
>>706314

try this:
https://www.ltwrightknives.com/bushcrafter-hc.html

check out the reviews on YT.

Otherwise, you can get an esee, maybe Helle, Ahti, BK14 (or whatever i'm not big into beckers, but they have a solid rep), or cold steel master hunter (3v steel, can't remember if it's less than 100 dollarydoos though - never bothered to check).
>>
File: IMAG0826.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0826.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
I've had this sweet piece of ass for about a year now. My absolute favorite blade to carry. Granted it is my only "nice" folder, but it just feels so perfect in-hand
>>
>>706397
ordered blurple pm 2 in sv110 , am hype
>>
Saving up for a chinese RIKE knife.
>>
Got my Caly 3.5 in the mail...horrible centering and there's not a way for me to fix it because it's a pinned construction knife. Pretty disappointed that Spyderco would let a $160 dollar knife go out like that. I'll be returning it.
>>
>>706445
they probably wont give cash back, but wil let you exchange it
>>
>>706445
>]
>>706485
see if you can get something more expensive, how much did you pay? may be able to get more
>>
>>706485
>>706492
I paid $160 for it. It's an easy return because I got it from Amazon.

I'm not going to exchange it because I'll just wait for a blurple PM2. I decided to get the Caly 3.5 now because I had some Amazon gift cards to use up, and you can't get a blurple PM2 off of Amazon.

I wanted a replacement EDC knife, but I think I'll wait on getting another Caly 3.5 (lost my first one) because I might like the Sage 5 so much that I don't need another Caly.
>>
>>706515
>tfw blurple pm 2 should be here within a week ,
>>
>>706515
i would definatley try a sage, or even another caly, maybe a native
>>
>>706546
Where'd you order yours?
>>
>>706630
Bento box, I overpaid for sure but blade hq is sold out (they sold out in 2 hours)
Knife center did preorders and all of those are gone (they accept a billion pre orders then only fulfill a few )

Multiple other websites either had them already and sold out, or takes endless preorder and only fulfills a few of them
I almost got the green elmax one because it's pretty sweet
I'd love to see some actual pictures from another anon
>>
>>706681
National Knives says it has them in stock now, and for $150. Just ordered from there myself.
>>
>>706360
i was commenting on the "feels like toy"
cause they don't they feel like serious knives you can work with and they are fairly huge at least my companion surprised me i was expecting a small vegetable knife and a fuckhuge thing arrived i mean sure i had bigger knives in my hand it was just unexpected from the pics i thought it's gonna be smaller.

anyways they are good and sturdy if you don't like the aesthetics that's one thing.
>>
>>706338
>bushcraft mora
>cheap
naah
buy a companion heavy duty $10
file the spine to sharp 90 degrees
buy a start my fire rod $10
use a ranger band to secure it on sheath

now that is cheap.
>>
I love the patina on a carbon steel blade treated with ferric chloride, I need to find a knife to do that on.
>>
File: asdasd.png (640KB, 288x1416px) Image search: [Google]
asdasd.png
640KB, 288x1416px
>>705350
That feel when I lost my Victorinox farmer on the train just now.

Bye bye.

Guess I'll get a Pioneer X now......

Damn what a loss. It's not even about the money.
That thing went through a lot with me.
>>
>>707749
An Opinel is optimal if you are a beginner.
The wooden handle can also be customized well.
Just google "custom opinel" You will be surprised by the cool designs.

>>706314
Jaktkit is pretty nice.
It comes with a kydex sheath.
Thick drop point with fat belly and convex grind.
Looks like the ideal hunter to me.
http://www.sumosurvival.com/jaktkit-knv3-a-tough-knife-for-tough-jobs-bushcraft-review/
>>
I just want them to make their Bushcraft Survival knives in their military green already. I actually e-mailed them about it and about why they don't make their companion HD in Stainless. Their response is they didn't think Americans would want a Stainless Heavy Duty companion or Bushcraft Green Survival. Pic related.

Also semi-related: People always mention that the main reason nobody buys the Mora Bushcraft/Bushcraft survival knives is because their cost around $100 American puts it in the tier of "better made knives of similar price points." The thing is I just found them new for about $70 and I'm wondering if that $10 drop makes it worthwhile. Your thoughts?
>>
>>708181
I wish the Bushcraft would be made of stainless steel. It chips very easily, in fact so easily that I have to be catious when whittling. It was already chipped when I got it lol.

People really underestimate stainless steels.
440C (If heat treated by a German or Us company) is awesome for example. It gets way to much shit.
>>
>>708141
We shall shed many manly tears for you and your knaifu anon
>>
>>708186
xD Tell them that then? "Hey, anon on 4chan said he asked you about this and you guys said this but I think this is a good idea. Do some polls or something."

They won't know we want it unless we tell them. Demand causes supply.

It is also worth noting they do make the Bushcraft in Stainless; but I think they only do that with the Bushcraft Survival Orange/Bushcraft Orange. What I really want is my choice of Stainless or Carbon in green. :(

http://www.moraofsweden.se/products/adventure
>>
Are Schrade Uncle Henry knives any good?

Specifically their bowies?
>>
>>706445
but muh best QC in the market
>>
File: Victorinox Fieldmaster.jpg (231KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Victorinox Fieldmaster.jpg
231KB, 1024x768px
Why do you need anything else?
>>
>>708377
Because as nice as it is you'd be better suited to having it as a back-up and having most of those tools actually on your person. Opinel makes a fantastic folding saw and they also make a fantastic folding knife that are better primary folders than the Fieldmaster can be. A fixed-blade knife is even better and even more so if the blade is a well-built full-tang knife.
>>
>>708377

You can't kill animals with that with any degree of success unless you've disabled it.
>>
>>708431

Not to mention skinning and cleaning would take far too long.
>>
>>708431
>>708432
Also valid points. I hadn't thought of those.
>>
>>708432

What do you mean? I dress rabbits and squirrels all the time.
>>
>>708438
Wild animals don't need clothes, anon
>>
>>708438

They're pretty small. But yes, the blade on the Swiss would work for something like that.

Pigs and deer need something a little more substantial. And that's what I go after when /out/.
>>
The knife threads in /out/ are so refreshing after seeing how knife threads are in /k/. People here actually seem to use their knives as tools, instead of jacking off over tacticool weeabo teenager shit like in /k/
>>
File: mora_kansbol.jpg (179KB, 381x459px) Image search: [Google]
mora_kansbol.jpg
179KB, 381x459px
This is one of the three new knives from Mora that are coming out soon. Can anyone tell me why the hell they have that weird grind on it? What purpose could it possibly have?
>>
>>709053
It's an attempt to make the blade more multi-purposed I think. They went with the scandi- something that excels at carving and general woodwork/bushcraft- for the half closest to your hand since most woodcutting you do is closest to the handle. Then toward the belly it turns into a flat ground blade. Usually the section of blade around the belly is used for food and game prep, something which flat ground blades are very good at due to their superior slicing capabilities.
I'm not sure it makes much of a difference in practice, though. The mora 2000 has a similar grind.
>>
File: IMG_4596_3.jpg (390KB, 1600x754px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4596_3.jpg
390KB, 1600x754px
>>709106
Same with the Light my fire version of the Mora Companions
>>
File: IMG_20160311_085323.jpg (4MB, 2011x5170px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160311_085323.jpg
4MB, 2011x5170px
This thing has been my primary fixed blade for 10 years. Holds an edge pretty well, sharpens up nicely, one big, solid piece 'full tang' with av rubberized grip (I wrapped it in cored 550) and all in all, it's been an amazing knife for being cheap chink shit that I bought as a "box cutter" for when I worked in the ghetto a decade ago.

MTech USA is all tacticool shit chink shit that gets away with "USA" because they draw up the design here and make it in China, but the quality ain't bad.
>>
>>709053
This is probably just gonna be a mora 2000 with an uglier handle and more modern looking sheath
>>
>>709114
I want one too bad it isn't full scandi
>>
What knife should i get? I only have a pocketknife and multitool but now i want a good knife to gut fish, skin animals, cut wood and rope, and i want it to be stainless steel and it has to last for years if not decades.
>>
>>709181
Price?
>>
>>709185
100 dollarydoos max
>>
>>709181

Forget about wood

Axe = wood

Knife = fibers and animals

>KA-BAR Bowie for around 80 bucks will do it all with any animal
>>
>>705350
I have a compact Gerber Bear Grylls pocket knife that I got years ago as a gift. I'm not much for the guy but the pocket knife is great, it's very thin and not bulky in my pocket. After that, I use a compact Gerber fixed blade and a short handle Fiskers hand axe for innawoods.

I have had good luck with the Gerber knives and am satisfied with their performance so far. Had them all for a long time now.
>>
>>705356
hey is that this knife?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00178CS4K?keywords=survival%20knife&qid=1457711385&ref_=sr_1_11&sr=8-11
>>
>>705384
>2016
>notusing 7.62x39
>stanag
>>
>>709207
right there with you buddy. got the mid sized.
>>
>>709053
That particular blade May actually be the Mora Outdoor 2000 although the Kansbol does have the same type of grind too. The grind on the end is called a "Profile Grind" and is very useful for tasks involving cloth and dressing game. Pic related; taken from Mora's website.
>>
>>709214
I've used a bear gyrlls knife for working and its been fine to me. Held an edge great when laying sod. Even shot the fucking thing with a pellet gun and it barely did anything to it

Durable little bastard that thing
>>
File: Jouni70.jpg (44KB, 685x223px) Image search: [Google]
Jouni70.jpg
44KB, 685x223px
>>709186
There's a lot of options from a lot of companies

Full tang
>Benchmade Hunt 15008-BLK
>SOG Huntspoint Skinning HT014L
>Buck Open Season 539
>TOPS Bird and Trout BTK-02

Partial tang
>Cold Steel Master Hunter 36JSK
>Spyderco Bill Moran FB02
>Kellam Jouni 70
>CRKT Ken Onion Skinner
>Helle Folkekniven HE80

Tried to include a bit of a mix there but in general knives that are good for game prep aren't so good for fish prep, if you want to do filleting then you'll need a thin flexible knife which can be bought very cheaply.

If you start looking at knives with steels like Aus8, 420HC, 1.4116, Chinese 8CR etc then your price goes down and your options open up considerably and in general you trade some edge holding in the case of VG/S30v/440c for ease of maintenance.

Speaking of ease of maintenance, never rule out carbon knives, once a carbon knife has a few years of use under it's belt they're not nearly as rust prone as a lot of people think. Just think of workshop tools, Files, Cold chisels, Hammers, they're all high carbon steel, they sit day in and day out being used and never get oiled yet they don't suddenly up and rust away. Generally where people get caught is lack of use, knife sits for 6 months forgotten, either collected condensation or was stored wet etc and then bam, potentially pitted knife.

At the end of the day, hold some and find what feels right for you in your price range.

>>709199
Agreed, though bowie knives are generally clumsy for game prep, usually a bit too long, at least for my taste.
>>
>>709220
That they are. This is the one I take with me most often when out innawoods. I have others but really like this one. It feels great in the hand, easy to control, all around decent outdoor knife.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Grylls-Compact-Fixed-31-001066/dp/B006M9NK1O
>>
>>709222
Thanks man
>>
>>705378
I feel like this is some unspoken obligatory post in knife threads. Provided it isn't just one autist doing it.
>>
>>709210
> not using 7.62x51
>>
>>709261
It's always just one
>>
>>709263
lol what a fag
>>
>>709199
>Axe = wood
Rly m8? do you not carve or make feathersticks or something?
>>
File: P1080917(1).jpg (178KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
P1080917(1).jpg
178KB, 1024x680px
>>709272
It's not like you can't featherstick with your axe, or just use the spine of your knife to get tinder.

As far as carving, I can't speak for him but I've never done more than basic whittling.
>>
>>709222

KA-BAR bowies aren't that big, though. Even the full size.

I don't even consider them bowies for the most part. The big one is around the size of a Buck 119 IIRC; that's a good knife, but I think that borders around 100 bucks.

KA-BAR make some smaller stainless hunters/skinners. They'd probably be worth a look at for just the one knife to last you.

I'd rather the full sized KA-BAR bowie of a Buck 119 if I could just have one, though. Better to go a little longer if you don't plan on having several knives.
>>
>>709289
good point to each their own i guess but i still preffer and would recommend a knife and axe plus maybe a saw because it'll make your life much easier
>>
So, the Mora Allround.

Decent slicer?
>>
>>709222

Doesn't the edge on stainless get damaged a lot more easily though?

I'm getting a mora companion but I'm not sure whether to go for the stainless or carbon. Stainless is attractive but I have a couple of swiss army knives that I use a lot and it's a pain to keep them sharp.
>>
>>708141
RIP basedfarmer
>>
File: image.jpg (187KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
187KB, 640x1136px
>>709209
I think it might be the same knife. I actually got that pic from eBay. Some "Tactical Survival Knife Kit" for <$10.
>>
>>709303
6" is a huge knife when you're dressing a carcass, 3-4" with a good belly is much more able but I agree around the camp a classic Ka-bar would probably be more suited than a skinning/boning knife, it's all a matter of compromises.

>>709683
If you're talking like prices, then yeah it's a pretty safe bet that you're trading some edge retention for rust resistance but it's not hard and fast, there are plenty of stainless steels out there that hold an edge better than any high carbon steel could dream of and tool steels that will hold an edge as well whilst being significantly tougher.

>>709583
Scandi grinds aren't the best for slicing but normal Mora's at 2.5mm thick are thin enough they still slice pretty well, I'm betting of the non kitchen knives the best slicer would be the Mora Flex or the Comfort Fillet.
>>
>>709683
>Doesn't the edge on stainless get damaged a lot more easily though?

Depends. S35vn is a stainless steel, as are other super steels. The old carbon v stainless is a relic of times when "stainless" meant 440c at best.

It matters for striking sparks off the knife with flint, and that's pretty much it.

If there's such a thing as a "typical outdoor knife steel" i'd say the most common ones now are a2, o1, and 3v.
>>
>>709958
there is no objectively best steel though, every steel has it's pros and cons s35vn for example has great edge retention but would be hard to make into a usable zero grind scandi because it's so hard that it would chip incredibly easily. at the end of the day use the steel you like and are comfortable with
>>
>>705384
Back to /k/ little man
>>
>>709737
>>709958

So if you look specifically at the Mora Companion MG, would it make much of a difference? I can't find any information on their site about the type of steels used, but would you say I should just stop worrying and go for the stainless? There's so much meme advice about knives that I'm not sure what kind of specs really make a difference any more.

Thanks in advance, knifeanons
>>
File: SAK_111.jpg (118KB, 472x450px) Image search: [Google]
SAK_111.jpg
118KB, 472x450px
>>708377

If you're going to take a swiss army knife /out/, you should at least use one of the 111mm models
>>
>>710043

The Fieldmaster is way more useful to me. Tweezers for ticks, the toothpick is actually a must for me, the scissors are good for trimming my facial hair, and I like having a can opener on me because when I'm backpacking I'm not always out and the woods so I can afford to buy some cans for dinner.
>>
>>710037
12c27 is the stainless and XC90(1095 analogue) is the carbon steel used afaik.
>>
>>709963
Yeah, but that's not the point. What I meant is you can't make a simple stainless v carbon argument, because steel ain't *simple* anymore.
>>
>>710037
>>710046
To actually answer your question, they're both great for the money, the stainless won't disappoint it's just not quite as easy to get filthy sharp and while it's not quite as strong as carbon, 12c is pretty tough, with most Mora's the weakest point is the handle/tang interaction.
>>
>>710043
i have this model and the blade loosened up quite quickly but then again it did fall out of my pocket alot onto hard surfaces
>>
>>710047
well yeah because before people used simpler carbon steels but today we have dozens of just carbon steels and the same for stainless so deciding the best is impossible.
>>
File: IMG_1074.jpg (1MB, 2396x2117px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1074.jpg
1MB, 2396x2117px
>>
>>708377
I actually use my pliers tho so a multitool without pliers is incomplete in my eyes.
>>
>>710163

yay casstrom
>>
File: wingman.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
wingman.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
I bought a wingman last week
Didn't have the chance to use it for anything yet and it's not part of my EDC because of knife laws
>>
After lurking here for a long while I am under the impression Morakniv and Opinel products are what /out/ considers to be the entry-level outdoor knife. Am I right?

What knives would you recommend for those looking to take things to the next level; I mean, do you buy the few knives you think you'll want to use for the rest of your life or do you buy some knives of different designs to learn about your preferences in knives before making even bigger purchases? Pic semi-related.
https://www.firstedgeusa.com/firstedge-products/
>>
File: 010692496.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
010692496.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
>>710499

Yeah, mora and opinel are popular brands for inexpensive knives here.

>What knives would you recommend for those looking to take things to the next level;

It really depends on various things like how much money you have to spend. It would be good to know that to make a better decision. If you're looking at $200+ dollar knives, I'd recommend also looking at custom knives from reputable sources.
>>
File: 65299.jpg (131KB, 800x1143px) Image search: [Google]
65299.jpg
131KB, 800x1143px
>>710499
>sheath withstands the harshest conditions on the planet

good, this will go well with my invulnerable lanyard
>>
>>710530
If it makes you feel better I only posted the pic cuz it was right in front of my face. It was nothing more than an example.
>>
>>710533

Nothing personal against you at all, I just found the description funny.

They should make a knife out of that sheath and then they'd really have something.
>>
>>710535
Haha. xD

So I was just watching some videos on the products the company makes and it seems Budget Bugout broke the tip off one of their folding tanto blades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NSMs3bZcb0

It seems he was testing the piercing power of the knife with wooden pallets when the tip got stuck in the pallet and broke. Considering they have U.S. government contracts I find that very surprising. I read in the comments somebody thought their Cold Steel knife was better.

I was under the impression Cold Steel was a meme company. Was my impression wrong? If I am wrong what products do they make that are "winners" you can't go wrong with?
>>
File: large-cs58tps.jpg (124KB, 900x581px) Image search: [Google]
large-cs58tps.jpg
124KB, 900x581px
>>710499
>buy some knives of different designs to learn about your preferences in knives

This and having done this my comment on your pic related would be, Elmax is an amazing steel but that knife is thick and with that half flat grind isn't going to be the best cutter, plus it's long so chances are I wouldn't use it much myself.

>>710543
>I was under the impression Cold Steel was a meme company
A lot of it is
> what products do they make that are "winners" you can't go wrong with?
Well for me the Pendleton Hunter/Master hunter series, depending what size knife you'd prefer, some of their folders are great for the money also.
>>
>>710543
Just a thing that has nothing to do with knives per se.

There's nothing worse than a youtuber that tests nice gear but can't express himself properly, that guy seems almost retarded. BlackScoutSurvival has the same problem. I wonder those guys still get thousands of subscribers.
>>
What should I buy: Bitchmade Mini Grip or Spydershill PM2?
>>
>>710690

Spydergrip Minishill PM Bitch
>>
>>710690
i have both and they are two very different knives, , benchmade is significantly smaller and lighter, but still fits the hand well, spyderco is larger, fills the hand, and is super grippy, i like both the axis lock and the compression lock so theyre probably about equal in my eyes, axis lock is easier to use with the left hand , for edc? i carry the mini grip, mostly, just due to size etc it can also be had for 80-90$ compared to 120 or more for the pm 2 picture incoming
>>
File: IMG_20160312_214311621.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160312_214311621.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>710690
>>710702
Mini grip is more of an edc knife for me , better size lighter in the pocket and a nice deep carry clip

That being said I absolutely love the pm 2 as an all around knife

Also one thing to note, benchmade customer service is fucking great, you can email them and ask for parts (screws, pocket clip etc) and they will send it without question
No experience with spyderco cs but I doubt it's as great as benchmade
Seriously though boh are great knives and probably my 2 fav knives but benchmade customer service is unbeatable in my mind
>>
>>710707
apologies for shitty pic but its simply to show size, also to be noted, the axis lock is super fun to play with, compression lock aswell, but axis lock mopreso
>>
>>710690
If I were you, I'd get the PM 2 now, because absolutely everyone should own that knife. So freaking comfortable, and fun to use. Also you get a lot more for your money, better quality materials, better fit and finish, than with the Griptilian, for like 30-40 bucks more.

The other guy is right in that the PM2 is just a little bit large for EDC for some folks. (I still carry it for EDC on the weekends).

So then while you're having fun with your PM2, wait for the Spyderco Sage 5 to come out this summer, which will also have the same compression lock as the PM 2.

I think the Sage is a lot more comfortable to hold than the mini-grip, with again much better materials and fit and finish, and a really awesome deep carry "paper clip" style clip that just disappears against your pocket. The Sage 5 will be a little thinner than the Griptilian as well which helps for pocket carry.

You could order the Sage 5 and the Mini-grip at the same time and compare, and send the one you like least back.
>>
heres one I made recently
>>
>>706144

>15 £

Holy crap, around here in Finland they are 9,90 € a piece - that's slightly less than 8 £.
>>
File: Eldris-blueprint-01-1.png (263KB, 474x2122px) Image search: [Google]
Eldris-blueprint-01-1.png
263KB, 474x2122px
>>706878

http://outdoornews.morakniv.se/

Here's some info on the new models.

Eldris = neck knife style mora with a 56x2 mm blade.

Garberg = Full tang mora, obviously more durable. 109 x 3,2 mm blade.

Kansbol = a new general model with 108 x 2,5 mm blade.
>>
>>708377

These things are shite, whoever thought putting a screwdriver in the middle of the body clearly never actually tried to use it.

Why wouldn't they just hinge it from the other direction and have it open horizontally? It's goddamn useless.
>>
>>710981

Does anyone know if they make one that is basically the farmer with a normal hinged phillips?

I'm looking through the catalog and I haven't found one yet.

It looks like it's mostly just the smaller ones that have it. I want a full sized one.
>>
>>710986
You do know that the flathead screwdrivers will work on any Phillips screw right?
>>
>>710530
i think the harshest condition on our planet would be in a lava pool
>>
>>710996
This. Or the very bottom of the sea.
>>
>>710499
Knives and the hunt for the ultimate one easily turns to an addiction.
First you'll have to ask yourself for what and how you'll use the knife.
>>
>>710638

Yeah I have to agree. Why the fuck would you stab a pallet to test a knife? Are you testing against a pallet attack? You don't go innawoods so you can stab a motherfucking tree, do you?
>>
File: buttfucked.jpg (237KB, 1081x424px) Image search: [Google]
buttfucked.jpg
237KB, 1081x424px
>>710974

You think that's expensive? Trying paying the "Australia tax". Everything here is shit expensive because it has to be shipped in. Pic related is the equivalent of 30 eur / 24 gbp
>>
>>710974

Also, price in >>711114 is literally the cheapest I could find on any site that sells to Australia. This is not an uncommon phenomenon. We do get paid more here in ozstraya but we also pay more for our shit.
>>
>>711114
There is a based Czech dude who sells to Aus for near US prices in AUD, lemme find his Ebay shop.
>>
>>710986

When you say 'normal' hinged phillips, do you mean a mid-body hinge? Because then the answer is no. If the alox knives have a screwdriver, then it's hinged at the end.
>>
>>710981

They do on the alox models. The point is thought that it's not to replace a normal screwdriver, just to help you out in a pinch. I once was able to get myself out of a toilet stall with a busted lock using the screwdriver on my SAK, so it's not totally useless.
>>
>>711114
>>711116
>>711117
Ok found it, was pretty happy when I found this guy, does Opinel too and a few other bits a pieces that are a PITA to get here without getting reamed.

>http://stores.ebay.com.au/Treasures-from-Switzerland
>>
>>711109
Because they sell it as a tactical knife used by SEALs and it have an americano tanto tip. Just to piss on the over priced tacticool garbage he did the same test with a similar cold steel knife without problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLZD7aaxDfc
>>
>>711125
Heh, memory derp, he's Polish.
>>
>>711109

Nigger if operators wanted just good cutting knives they would carry kitchen knives or opinels.

A military knife must be able to pry open things and cut softer metal well.
>>
>>711125

Aw snap Ausanon! That's a big discount. Legend
>>
>>711130

Then test it by prying open things or cutting softer metal, not by randomly jamming it into wood. That's like testing a car by roller skating behind it.
>>
File: Straya.webm (3MB, 1216x680px) Image search: [Google]
Straya.webm
3MB, 1216x680px
>>711137
>>
>>711149

Fucken hell cunt that's some funny shit hey bra
>>
>>711139

Notching holes should also be on that requirement list.

Just so you know, it is not uncommon for soldiers and snipers to notch open holes in walls on buildings to shoot from there, with their knives.

That tanto "SEAL" knife is just overpriced shit.

Many people fail to realise military contracts are made including many factors, not just performance.

Military issue gear is usually low or medium tier for what you can get privately or in the civie market.

That's also why real operators usually prefer high end hiking / outdoors gear to what it's issued, and generally use high end or custom made knives instead of what they're given.

Another good example for this is the SOG SEAL 2000, which is outright shit and likely scarcely used even though it was an official "issue" knives for the SEALs
>>
>>710499
>no pic of sheath
sheath is probably the same cheese cloth that TOPS uses
>>
>>710638
i always though budget bugout was a bit downy looking, i don't know why he just looks like a good 'ol potato man
>>
>>710499

That brand seems sketchy as fuck

Something is very off about it, like the fact they're new and just happened to be the SEAL contractor, and the fact that their folder fails like a chinashit knife.

I smell scam
>>
What do you think of CRKT ( Columbia River Knife & Tool ) products? I've heard decent things, the prices seem decent but they don't have the "meme hype" indicating an entry-level product.

>>711177
Agreed; nice dubs btw.

The fact their folder was outpreformed by a knife from Cold Steel says a lot.
>>
>>711181

They're ok and very adequate.

You wont hear a lot of shilling because the brand is affordable-tier and thus doesnt attract the attention of snobs.

They have cool designs like the Hissatsu too
>>
>>711182
I just saw their Bivy multi-tool ( link below ) on their website while looking for some decently priced knives for outdoor use and think I may have found my next EDC. Do they have any outdoor knives that can compete with ( or even best ) the top-tier brands?

To put it another way: Would you pick any of their knives or tools to take camping or into a survival situation if you thought your life might depend on them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo7qULaVOOA
>>
>>711187

>Would you pick any of their knives or tools to take camping or into a survival situation if you thought your life might depend on them?

No because I'm a knife snob and I'd choose Busse for toughness or Mission for diving, My trusty leatherman for a multitool.

I'd seriously look into the Hissatsu or the Sangrador if I needed a dagger / cqc knife to kill taliban inside buildings though. The CRKT designs that imo exceed are the ones of "special" purpose knives, like daggers or folders that excell at a specific function

I also appreciate the fact that they hire well known designers, which allows you to basically have a budget version of custom knives,

Some of their designs are gimmicky but at least they are innovative and try new things for a change.

If I didnt have my Busse and I stumbled upon a box of knives in the middle of the jungle or an afghan town, I wouldnt hessitate to pick up a CRKT.

What I'm trying to convey is that they're not shit at all.
>>
File: CRKT-kit-survival-prdd.jpg (88KB, 950x400px) Image search: [Google]
CRKT-kit-survival-prdd.jpg
88KB, 950x400px
>>711192
Neato, thanks for the opinion! I noticed they have a survival kit, a tactical kit and an outdoor kit at pretty competitive prices. Everything in these kits seems pretty well thought-out and reliable ( although I am sad to see carbon steel ) like a special-purpose custom blade which seems to match with your claim.

Pic related: CRKT Survival kit with...
>ChanceinHellâ„¢ Machete
>RSK MK6 compact fixed blade
>Para-Saw; a wire saw with survival paracord wrapped around it
>Spark'N Sharp tool for sparking fires/sharpening blades
>Nylon CRKT Bag
>>
>>711187
>>711181
>>711234

Are you a fucking marketer for them or something?

What the fuck?
>>
>>711389
No, not a marketer. Sorry.
>>
>>711234
>>711457

Yeah... pretty fuckin shilly.
>>
File: Glock.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Glock.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
I went to sharpen my Glock.
>>
>>711648
Good lord, your fingers. Do you use your knife to pry open crates of Little Debbie's?
>>
>>711705
Maybe you have never seen working man's fingers. :D
>>
File: 1436213059106.jpg (271KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1436213059106.jpg
271KB, 1920x1080px
>>711711
If your definition of working consists of sitting on your ass in an office and typing spreadsheets, then I'd expect those kind of fingers.
>>
>>711738
Pro tip. It is scar tissue.
>>
File: sideddr3bl.jpg (180KB, 850x638px) Image search: [Google]
sideddr3bl.jpg
180KB, 850x638px
Anyone here ever do a knife kit?

Thinking about trying the DDR3-BL from knifekits.com pic related.
>>
File: 1453581376507.png (519KB, 1011x394px) Image search: [Google]
1453581376507.png
519KB, 1011x394px
>>711234
We're not interested, marketer. Try Facebook.
>>
>>711742

That's a new one. Never realised you could gain 100 lbs of scar tissue.
>>
File: 1.jpg (1MB, 1425x1900px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1MB, 1425x1900px
30$ China abuse thingy on the left Bk7 on the right.
>>
File: 2.jpg (598KB, 1900x1425px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
598KB, 1900x1425px
>>711870
I just gave it a tour on the water stone because it chipped.
>>
File: 3.jpg (1MB, 1900x1425px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
1MB, 1900x1425px
>>711871
Herbertz bush knife 25cm.
>>
>>711873

Well you should give it back to Herbert then
>>
>>711742

Don't even pretend you're not grossly overweight. We can see the picture.
>>
>>712073
Well I am so sorry about that. Fucking idiot.
>>
>>712124
you should be sorry
quit killing yourself you dumb fuck. i bet when your shit choices about your body come back to bite you in the ass youll be wishing you had those extra years
at the end, you will know just how dumb youve been
>>
>>712129
I will start diet tomorrow, or day after tomorrow.
>>
>>708465
Kek
>>
>>712068
ba dum tss
>>
>>705802
That Boker is beautiful
>>
>>712283
100% Agree. I could leave the Leatherman though.
>>
>>711122
>The point is thought that it's not to replace a normal screwdriver, just to help you out in a pinch

I'd rather have a corkscrew than that middle-opening phillips screwdriver personally, because you can open any phillips screw with the flathead screwdrivers easier and more comfortably anyway.
>>
File: 01.jpg (964KB, 2000x1391px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
964KB, 2000x1391px
>>710707
That PM 2 looks absolutely gigantic in that photo, but it's really that the Mini-grip is so small.

So for those curious, here's what a PM 2 looks like in a regular-size hand.
>>
File: IMG_20160314_183408164.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160314_183408164.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>712348
I have slightly larger hands than you

Also blurple buddy's (shit lighting )
>>
File: IMG_20160314_183720640.jpg (2MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160314_183720640.jpg
2MB, 2432x4320px
>>712358
Also that being said the mini grip is a very comfortable 3-3.5 finger grip and fits the hand well
>>
File: IMG_20160314_184016770.jpg (2MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160314_184016770.jpg
2MB, 2432x4320px
>>712361
Mini barrage is a tight 4 finger grip but fills the hand better then the grip,
No jimping etc but still a nice knife
>>
File: crkt.jpg (37KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
crkt.jpg
37KB, 800x800px
should i buy it?

need edc knife
>>
>>712364
looks like it would be uncomfortable in hand
>>
>>712365
review i read said it was comfortable, just not for carving/etc.

i will buy it locally so can hold it before i buy
>>
>>705350
just picked up an opinel no 9 carbon for mushroom hunting. was tired of carrying my no 8 mushroom knife as it makes it super obvious that im mushroom hunting with the brush attached at the based. i wanted something more discreet for when i hunt in illegal areas. super great for harvesting and processing/cleaning. im loving it so far. super lightweight. ive been using it for everything
>>
>>712366
>]
also not a huge fan of blade shape honestly, though i dont like flashy knives, honestly, go hold it, if you like it and like the material and price get it who cares what anyone else likes
>>
>>712364
That blade shape isn't too functional. Looks good for opening boxes/cutting rope but nothing more.
>>
>>712369
I got one of these, in stainless, for my mother at christmas as she was getting into mushrooming. It works well.
>>
>>712364
I also think it looks uncomfortable, and that tanto-style blade is good for stabbing people and that's about it. Not a great choice for most EDC and bushcraft tasks.

that said, if you like it, get it. I've bought knives I later matured out of, and the worst that happens is you sell it and move on.

I do give credit to CRKT for coming up with a lot of different inventive designs.
>>
>>712358
I've been loving my Blurple PM 2. I know some people hate the color, and it's a little weird, but I love the semi-translucence. It looks very cool in the right light.

I've only had it for less than a week, and finally today the pivot has smoothed out to perfection.

>>712361
A griptilian with that spydie hole and awesome hollow-ground sheepsfoot blade is the only Benchmade that I want.

I probably won't buy any new knives at least until Christmas though, got a lot of expenses coming up.
>>
>>712380
ive had mine for a bit over a week, love the color , first day i loostened and then tightened the pivot, and its glass smooth blade opens just on its own weight an will swing shut with the lock compressed, perfect right from the box, , as for the grip i have its quite nice, a great edc knife especially since i have a deep carry clip for it, and super light, plus im actually a real fan of 154cm , though i find myself not wanting to use my pm2 because its so nice
>>
>>712382
im actually considering getting a pm2 in normal black and satin, or all black for an edc since i dont want to fuck up my blurple baby
>>
>>712383
I don't get that. The Blurple PM2 is just as tough as a black one would be. It's hard to fuck up G10. The grippiness smooths out a little over time though.

And the blurple one isn't even that much more expensive, it's like 30 dollars more. And it's not a limited 1000 run sprint either. So you could always get another if you destroyed or lost yours somehow.

I say use it. It's a really tough knife that's meant to be used.
>>
>>712406
yeah but everything is just so nice about it il probably use it hard then get another one thats an exclusive or something
>>
>>712364
If I were going to go with an EDC knife I'd pick an Opinel or Buck product. If I were to pick something from CRKT I'd go with their S.P.E.W. or Bivy Multi-tool.
>>
>>712372
whyd you pick stainless over carbon?
>>
>>712416
Just like a brand new car, it's hard to get past that initial ownership phase where everything is perfect, I agree.

It's one reason I don't own any titanium knives even though I think they are gorgeous, since they scratch so easily. Look at these beauties.

(The top is a Native, the bottom two are Chaparrals)
>>
>>712456
Not that guy, but cutting mushrooms is easy, so you don't need super edge retention like with carbon, and you are also probably cutting into moist dirt, and he gave it to a mom who probably doesn't want to take care of her knives other than wiping dirt off them.

Stainless is the perfect choice here.
>>
>>712456
My mother can't be arsed to oil her pocket knife.
>>
>>712461

>Stainless is the perfect choice here.

Implying it isnt always the perfect choice.

I'm not joking, give me one example of a carbon steel being preferable outside of industrial use.
>>
>>712555
I use only high-carbon steel Morakniv knives because they offer superiour edge retention when battoning through hard woods such as garry oak.
>>
>>712562
Quercus Garryana before yo accuse me of masurbating to a children's cartoon.
>>
>>712562
Mora has seen many years of product development, even the material is perfect.
>>
>>712562
But can they handle prof. Birch?
>>
>>712555
>I'm not joking, give me one example of a carbon steel being preferable outside of industrial use.

When you want an inexpensive knife with edge sharpness and retention equal to much more expensive stainless "supersteels".
>>
File: K8UCwAl.png (3MB, 1333x840px) Image search: [Google]
K8UCwAl.png
3MB, 1333x840px
>you will never own a Murray Carter knife.

why go on living anons?
>>
File: PM2 hand.jpg (363KB, 808x1077px) Image search: [Google]
PM2 hand.jpg
363KB, 808x1077px
>>712358

Good god. What the fuck is wrong with your fingers? Birth defect?

Here is what one looks like with medium sized hands.
>>
>>712627
nothing wrong with fingers, i jut bite my nails
>>
>>712627
>>712629
and yaknow,work with m hands too
>>
>>712610
Edge sharpness yes, edge retention no, especially at 58-60, 440c which is pretty long in the tooth matches 1095 for edge retention.
>>
>>712610

>When you want an inexpensive knife with edge sharpness and retention equal to much more expensive stainless "supersteels".

There are plenty of cheaper stainless alloys that perform, and generally perform much better than so called "supersteels" which has as much meaning as "surgical stainless".

The ultra high alloy mold and die steels currently being used are mainly hype and completely unsuitable for the knives they end up in.
>>
>>712610
Chromium improves edge retention in blades. It's a carbide-forming ingredient in steel.
>>
>>712344

Yeah this is true. I didn't realise that until I'd already bought one. I didn't want a bottle opener though because reasons.

Turns out the alox farmer would have been even better. Having said that the hiker that I got is like a third hand, it's fucking magnificent.

>That feel when you're johnny on the spot
>>
>>712747

*corkscrew is what I didn't want. I use the bottle and can openers all the time.
>>
File: Mora.jpg (1MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Mora.jpg
1MB, 2000x1500px
>>
>>706397
Is that an endura 4 or a tenacious? Or neither?
>>
What do you guys think of ceramic knifes?
>>
>>712818
Looks like a satin blade PM2
>>
>>710163
How does the casstrom perform?
>>
>>712822
Ah, I think you're you're right.
>>
>>712612

If there's one specific knife I want over the rest, I save up and buy it.

I even sell other knives to get it.

Just get it anon, save and get it.
>>
>>712821

A chef told me once that they're bullshit. Drop 'em once and they're fucked, he said.
>>
>>712555
Well i personally prefer carbon because it will achieve a patina unlike stainless steel
>>
>>712612
Not really my kind of knife desu
>>
>>712612

Shape's alright but the decorations look like shit
>>
>>712848
In my opinion wonderfully. I prefer a nice big handle and this one feels perfect in my hands. You can get lots of grip on it when using.
>>
>>712917
Those are hammer marks not decorations.
>>
>>712821

They get micro chips with use so don't hold a fine edge like steel but hold a coarser edge a long time due to the extreme wear resistance.
>>
File: jx2.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
jx2.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
>>712816

i'll raise
>>
>>712821
they are paring knives that were pushed into broader markets that they shouldnt have been in. if you are trying to make clean and beautiful cuts in fruits and veg, yea a ceramic knife might even be the best item you can get for that. as an all purpose knife? literally limestone with a handle
>>
>>712627
Nice hands wagecuck.

>>712629
Biting your nails is a child's bad habit. Knock it off.
>>
>>712960
What knife?
Looks awesome
>>
>>712963
Ceramic knives aren't even that good for kitchen work. The only person who should buy a ceramic knife is a home cook who is too afraid/lazy/stupid to sharpen their metal kitchen knives. And even in this case it would still be cheaper to just buy a new inexpensive Vixtorinox metal chef's knife every time it got dull rather than pay for a ceramic knife that's any good.
>>
I'm looking at getting a Buck knife for EDC use around the farm and on construction sites. This will be a "beater" knife and will be subject to much use and abuse. Would I be better off with a 420HC blade or a S30V blade? I'm leaning towards 420HC since it'll be easier for me to re-sharpen the knife after using it to cut things that I probably shouldn't be cutting with a pocket knife. I've also heard good things about Buck's hardening of their 420HC steels, making it better than 420HC from some other low-tier knife brands. Of course S30V blades will hold an edge longer but I am worried that it will be much more difficult to sharpen a S30V blade than one made with 420HC.
>>
>>713059

Depends on how good you are at sharpening and what you have. I can tell you that with just honing and stropping I can get my 420hc blades noticely sharper than my s30v ones.
>>
>>713059
If you think you're going to be abusing it like cutting wire and metal and getting chips a lot that you have to grind out, I'd go with the 420. Keeping s30v sharp is super easy if you're touching up, but if you're wearing through so much metal that you need to reprofile often, you'll want a less tough metal (or diamond rods)
>>
File: norton_sharpener.jpg (261KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
norton_sharpener.jpg
261KB, 1200x900px
>>713065
I have a good (commercial) tri-stone sharpener, pic related. I'm pretty good with it, and have sharpened a lot of knives, but I don't think I've ever had a knife with a blade as hard as S30V.
>>
>>713067
Yeah, I won't be abusing it too often but the knife will be considered a tool and won't be reserved to just opening packages occasionally. I'll probably stick with 420HC because I think I'll get more use out of a $25-$35 knife than I will with a $80-$100+ knife that I'll be too afraid to use for fear that I'll ruin an expensive knife.
>>
>>713078
What are you going to get, Buck 110? Buck Vantage?

I think the Buck Vantage is a great knife for the price.

Another great option in that price range is the Spyderco Tenacious or Persistence, depending on what size knife you want.
>>
>>713085
I'm looking at the Mini Spitfire, I prefer slightly smaller knives for EDC purposes myself. It has a 2 3/4" blade which is usually plenty long for anything I need a pocketknife for and the bright orange anodized handle would make it easy to find if I dropped it in the dark.
>>
File: IMG_20160315_212810_1910127228.jpg (135KB, 593x394px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160315_212810_1910127228.jpg
135KB, 593x394px
Any experience with "Browning" knives ?
>>
File: mini_spitfire.jpg (43KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
mini_spitfire.jpg
43KB, 800x800px
>>713085
>>713089
I went ahead and ordered a Buck Mini Spitfire w/ orange handle from Amazon for $26 or so. I liked the look of it over the Spyderco Persistence and the fact that the Buck is "made in USA" (no telling where the parts for it are manufactured though). It has generally favorable reviews so hopefully it'll be a good little knife. I've never really had any issues with the 2 other Buck knives I've owned but those are both much larger knives that I mainly use for skinning animals.
>>
>>713025

jx2 jessmuk. Guess i'm a little biased here, because there was a lot of hype for this knife before it released a few weeks ago (there were two preorder runs which I missed) - picked one up the moment they hit retailers.
>>
File: 20160315_010837.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160315_010837.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Could anyone please help me identify this knife?

It feels heavy with a hard plastic handle, and the only marking simply says "stainless"
>>
File: 20160315_010820.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160315_010820.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>713214
It was found by the beach and sold to me for a few dollars
>>
File: 20160315_010913.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160315_010913.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>713217
That's a lanyard hole, right?
>>
>>713096

The black label ones are good quality, but gun company knives have an extremely bad reputation because they're all chinashit junk with a name.
>>
File: 1224.jpg (29KB, 800x284px) Image search: [Google]
1224.jpg
29KB, 800x284px
Looks like a kabar 1224 (or similar model) replica
>>
>>713214
That's probably just random Chinese junk, done in the style of the classic marine fighting knife style from ww2, which has been copied over and over, a popular and classic design.
>>
>>713287
>>713294
Thanks, might look into getting an original and keeping the replica as a beat-up knife.
>>
>>713310
Nevermind, the overwhelming amount of "patrotic" knives in their selection doesn't really appeal to me, and doesn't really feel /out/ but more like /k/... feels like they worry more about pushing collectors items for people that already have 30 KA-BAR's on their shelf
>>
>>713334
It's because that style of knife is meant mainly as a military knife, so really is a /k/ knife.

Look at the kabar Becker series of you want their /out/ knives.
>>
>>713334
If you want knives for function over beauty go check Buck, CRKT, Esee, Morakniv, Opinel, and Spyderco. Buck does make some knives that seem to be geared more toward fashion but even those are ( usually ) highly functional knives. Opinel knives are just naturally beautiful knives given their design really gives them a "unique" feel.
>>
>>710963
Keep it up, first decent knife in the thread
>>
File: 99836Carter-Prime-HR-660x128[1].jpg (12KB, 660x128px) Image search: [Google]
99836Carter-Prime-HR-660x128[1].jpg
12KB, 660x128px
New Ontario knife, want it, but not for $150, fucking expensive pocket knifes are stupid as fuck to me. I could buy 3-4 decent beaters (Spyderco, CRKT, Ontario Rat, SOG, etc) for that price. I don't think I'll ever buy a Benchmade unless they make some really cool feature or design for under $100.
>>
>>713605
What is the website for Ontario Knife? I found something that seems like their website but it looks kinda sketchy and my browser crossed out the https and gave me a warning about it.
>>
>>710963

you made that?

that is really amazing. beautiful knife.
>>
>>705350
Hey guys, i need a personal review on the fallkniven a1

i currently own a HHA MFK03G and its unsuitable for outside of work
>>
>>713605
Not a fan of the Grip?
>>
>>713605
>150
>pre orders for less than 90
>>
File: MFK03-G-03.jpg (91KB, 885x588px) Image search: [Google]
MFK03-G-03.jpg
91KB, 885x588px
>>713637
>i currently own a HHA MFK03G and its unsuitable for outside of work
This is your WORK knife?
>>
>>710963
Nice job. It looks very professional.
>>
>>712941

That perfectly repeated pattern of depressions on the blade? If it's left like that deliberately, it's a decoration, not a manufacturing artifact
>>
>>713214

What kind of lighter is that? Looks cool
>>
File: IMG_2500.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2500.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
>>713637

Pros:

>Good blade shape
cleverly designed so it has both chopping power and skinning ability

>Good handle shape and butt design,
you can break and hammer stuff but you can also put pressure on it with your hand without hurting yourself

>Structural integrity.
AllOutdoor tests prove the Fällkniven A1 is quite tough against breaking in half

>Plastic sheath.
Contrary to popular internet belief the plastic sheath is genious and cleverly designed for extreme cold and dirt.

Cons

>Too thick, 6mm (!!!!!).
this makes it bad for carrying (too much weight for the size) and for slicing or cutting things of an average size (the grind is chisel-like)

>Too heavy.
300 grams for a 6inch knife is madness. A Busse B11, with an 11 inch blade, weights 470 grams

>Shit edge geometry,
due to shit steel choice. Edge is convex + microbevel. If you want to cut anything good, you wont thanks to the microvebel, if you want to get rid of the microbevel, the edge will break and shatter extremely easy, due to next point.

>SHIT edge resitance.
The reason why I switched to another knife. The edge will FLATTEN instantly when you whack it against anything, including medium wood. A flattened edge is a blunt edge. There is no reason to carry around a heavy thick sharpened prybar if you can't use the fucking edge or if it doesnt perform

>Shit handle material.
The rubber is a hardened type of plastic, but with time it dulls in color and consistency. As you may be able to tell in my pic, it's now greyish, and it came a bit loose and way more soft and rubbery. I had top superglue a gap in between the tang and the handle near the guar

>Coating
The worst I've seen on any of my knives. It's like waxy crayon. It will stain whatever you're cutting and more importantly; it will stain food. This doesnt happen with GunKote, for example

>Price.
Absolutely blown way out of proportion. Fällkniven A1s dont deserve the 200$/€ + pricerange. They're more like slightly half of that.
>>
>>713517

Fuck off you stupid newfag marketer.

at least learn to shill well and inconspicuously
>>
File: 52329_300.jpg (35KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
52329_300.jpg
35KB, 300x300px
>>706026
mfw you're the first one to notice in "knife thred" on "outdoor forum" after so many posts
>>
File: SW3G.jpg (55KB, 695x547px) Image search: [Google]
SW3G.jpg
55KB, 695x547px
bayonet is most useful knife that is
I would choose cheap wooden handle mora for woodcarving, fishing, cooking and camping but when you add a handguard and put metal through whole handle (like in Ka-Bar) it doubles as a emergency tool/weapon
add muzzle loop and sturdy, electrically isolated sheath with wirecutter and a saw and it has even more uses
If I was about to carry a knife during war, civilian unrest or any other situation threatening my life it would be M9 bayonet
the any other day it's birch handle carbon steel, raw elk skin mora
>>
>>713833

good for you Rambo. come back when you grow some common sense and are capable of understanding why everything you said is wrong.
>>
>>713844
lol
>>
>>710963
can i have it?
>>
>>713833
oi john rambo we're not fightin' commies, we're cutting salami and sharpening sticks with our knives no need to go tacticool on it it's not like the sticks or hot dogs are gonna fight back
>>
>>713824
>Everybody else just noticed it was a stock photo for chinkshit
>>
File: FuckinTNP.jpg (101KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
FuckinTNP.jpg
101KB, 720x480px
>>713878

>Hotdogs
>>
>>713932
for that TNP pic ye shall burn for many lifetimes
>>
>>713824
Everyone else has seen that dumb photo posted a million times before and wisely ignores it
>>
>>713767
Except he's right and you're a dunce
>>
>>713932
tactical hotdogs dude
>>
File: IMG_20150208_161556655.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150208_161556655.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
>>713932
Nice patch
>>
>>713932
>>713932

That's some witchass patch dude.
>>
>>708141
i remember when i lost my Victorinox Pocket pal in polished stainless. I call it my wallet knife since that is where it stays. Anyways the wife had my wallet and left it on her lap,got out of the car and dropped it in a steak n shake parking lot. Knife was lost i looked everywhere and was pissed even had the server the next day pull the booth apart still no knife. two weeks later and a lot of sadness I barrowed the inlaws truck put the seat belt on and there she was my little wallet knife sticking straight up in the seat belt slot in the seat. I was about as happy as a fat kid eating cake. I may have even said ahh you came back to me. now if my spyderco would just show up again.
>>
>>714433

I know them feels. The funny thing is I've never heard as many people getting as attached like that to other knives / multitools. There's just something about SAKs.
>>
File: spyderco family.jpg (60KB, 1023x682px) Image search: [Google]
spyderco family.jpg
60KB, 1023x682px
>>714433
>now if my spyderco would just show up again.
I think it ran off with my spyderco and they're having little spyderco babies somewhere.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>RUKO Coarse Stone
I received this stone as a gift and know nothing about what makes a decent stone. All I know is that it's a hell of a lot coarser than the stone I usually use.

Is this going to fuck up my Mora if I use it? How about my Spyderco? It's compact and light and I'd like to throw it in my camping bag but not if its too coarse.
>>
File: questions.jpg (34KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
questions.jpg
34KB, 600x337px
which model spyderco is this?
>>
>>714701
looks like Police.
>>
File: IMG_0044.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0044.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Just bought this Schrade for $35CAD. Seems to be a solid cheap knife. Just plan on using it for fishing this April as well as throwing it in my hike bag. No play in the blade and sharp out the box. Anyone else have this knife?
>>
>>714737
I'm sorry, your photo is so cringey it's making it hard for me to pay attention to your words.

Had to read it like three times. I'm sure it's a decent knife.
>>
>>714737

are you a real life meme or what?

super cool badge bro...................................................................................................................................... kek
>>
>>714737
>>714747
>>714750
Survival bracelet bruh
>>
>>714752
>>714750
>>714747
Thanks for the reply about the knife boys. Appreciate it.
>>
>>714764
Welcome to /out/ where fashion matters
>>
>>714752
almost as bad as being a shitposting tripcunt.
>>
>>714648
it wont fuck it up but it wont make it very sharp coarse stones are made for damaged or very dull blades
>>
>>714737
Not pictured: fedora with reddit meme macros all over it, wallet with wallet chain, cargo shorts, overweight, lives in parents' house which smells like cigarette smoke, has cat, I could go on and on
>>
Are there any decent knives from lesser-known companies like Whetstone? What are some other lesser-known brands? I'm thinking of picking up a pack of two knives from Whetstone given the biggest complaint I've seen thus far is that the knives don't come sharp.
>>
>>714864
Thanks mate
>>
>>714913
paaso puukot make some excellent knives same with generally any scandinavian brand but paaso do make a hand forged traditonal puukko that costs 9eur on their site but im not sure about the shipping.
>>
Guys, I require a multitool that has a knife that can be easily deployed one-handed and is big enough to defend oneself.
I find the Leatherman skeletool pricy since I'm outside the US and so I'm paying nearly triple price and the blade is only 6.35 cm.
Any suggestions ?
>>
>>714713
i have a chance to get it for 60 bucks. good deal?
>>
>>714960
Very good deal
>>
>>714981
thanks anon. looking forward to trying out vg10 for the first time.
>>
>>714947
I suggest you carry a regular knife and a SAK, because those are two different roles, and you'll get better tools on both sides by separating the roles.
>>
>>714947

>>/k
>>
>>714947
>multitool for self defense
kek'd
>>
>>710963
Very nice. I'd readily buy that off Amazon.
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 77

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.