[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Belt kit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

File: 4104256610_161306c63d_b.jpg (460KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
4104256610_161306c63d_b.jpg
460KB, 1024x768px
C'mon who likes a bit of bushcraft belt kit?

Summer will soon be here and I think I might pick up a duty belt or rigid leather belt as an 'over' belt to carry some choice gear, namely lens pouches for my CSC, knife, water bottle, etc.

Will need to pick up a pouch that'll fit my klean kanteen.

For anyone who runs this system, possible disadvantages?

Seems to be a good way to carry a few bulky items that don't carry so well in a jacket, or don't carry at all without a bag or coat.

Thoughts, anons?
>>
File: 1455506829726.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1455506829726.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
>>703584
Anyone know of a decent leather belt pouch? Somewhat like OP's pic.
>>
I'm gonna pick up one of these, looks like it could have potential:

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/french-mas-49-ammunition-pouch-leather-surplus/34436
>>
I'm too fucking fat to wear a belt kit.
>>
>>703624
Drop some lbs man. It's easy to do, just requires some will.
>>
>>703624
How about a bandolier type thing with pouches for your items then? I think a belt/band combo would be cool, but when I go camping I put my walking items either in my pocket or in my haversack.

It's usually just a knife our hatchet on my belt and my then my water source, but sometimes I'll bring a camera, cord, food, whatever, which goes in my bag. So I rarely use even that.

What exactly do you need to edc while Innawoods though?
>>
Cringy as fuck desu
>>
Anon here, I love belt kits. It's not cringe, your in the fucking woods with friends fucki having fun! If your with people who want to put you and your set up down; they're not friends.
I like to carry my maxpedition rat wallet with a bit of kit in there. Belt kits are nice if you like to keep things on hand around camp and stay organized.
>>
>>703624
bullshit. i'm a right tubby cunt and I wear a belt

personally I'm not a fan of belt kits for the same reason I'm not a fan of having all kinds of shit lashed to the outside of my back pack. it looks noobish and snags on everything if youre not walking on a trail
>>
>>703624
What does it just slide off?

>>703695
Belt seems the most practical, with a bandolier heavy items sit awkwardly and will pull it down your shoulder.

I figure belt is the better as it'll carry the weight better (across your hips rather than one shoulder), easy to hook and unhook, etc. Only issue I can see with either (and less so with a belt) is conflicting with a rucksack, but desu I think it's more an at camp thing for me.

>>703696
I'm old enough not to need validation from strangers. You can care what you want but you'll get no fucks from me.

>>703733
+1

The issue for me is this:

I can't really use my trouser pockets as I often take on/off goretex over trousers that don't give access (thigh pockets excepted)

I hate carrying too much in my coat, as it ends up weighing a ton, and often I take it on and off and then need to move the stuff I need from the pockets back and forth.

I figure if I can get the following onto a belt I'd be happy:
- Knife
- A little camping pocket: torch, compass, lighter, steel, maybe a shank of cord,
- A pouch for my water bottle
- Maybe a dump pouch for unplanned uses (taking a layer, gloves, hat, off, collecting stuff, etc)

+ Camera lenses and potentially camera?

Not too much stuff and all items that ill suited to be carried in pockets.

Need a good belt to use as a base belt. Thinking a duty belt as it's rigid, tho I'd prefer leather. Anyone know any cheap rigid leather belts? A gun belt would work but not seen many over here in the EU.
>>
>>703587
no but i have made one much like that from scrap leather i bought per pound
>>
In the woods I carry a maxpedition neatfreak when gathering wood and pottering around camp.

In mine I have;
med kit
knife
folding saw
water purification straw
toiletries
navigation bits
and a few other bits and bobs

The reasoning being I could survive just on that my main bag is for luxuries. So if I get lost/injured/have to move etc I will survive happily even if I ditch my main bag or am unable to get to it
>>
Advantages:
>don't have to carry a backpack

Disadvantages:
>heavy, unbalanced belt dragging down all the time and snagging on shit. makes running and moving around awkward.
>severely restricted capacity
>look like an autistic gandalf with pouches full of magical reagents
>never have sex again

My verdict: carry a small daypack or hydration pack. It's more streamlined and discrete, as well as having far more capability.

I have a 6 litre hydration pack that contains 2litres of water (more than your canteen) and ~4 litres of misc storage (more than your belt kit). It does not get in the way of movement, it does not drag down or snag on things, and I routinely go trail running with it. It's a simple, light weight, black coloured bag, and I do not look like a wizard or a military reject. I can carry more water than I need, some lunch, a sweater and raincoat, and my first aid / firemaking stuff in it.

I have used belt kits while trying to go ultra-minimal while hunting and found them to be extremely cumbersome and more trouble than they are worth. 0/10 would not recommend.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-06-20-29-50.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-06-20-29-50.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
I keep my fire kit on my belt. The pouch is custom made from Beaver Bushcraft. It holds a Hudsonsbay tin and fero rod. Besides that I have my handgun. Depending on the environment I may have a large hudsonbay knife or a condor greenland pattern axe on my belt. Always have a Mora #2 on my neck and opinel #8 in my pocket.
>>
>>703584
What kind of knife is that? I've seen it before.
>>
>>704396

Your post seems to assume a belt kit is trying to replace a backpack... Which is not at all what its for.

A daypack/hydration bladder has exactly zero utility around camp. Oh I need my knife, let me just take off my backpack, find it, put my backpack back on, blah blah blah.
>>
>>705273
I come from a hiking and hunting mindset. Apologies.

Other than a knife, what do you need on your belt around camp? Which items are used so frequently?
>>
>>705442
If you like to walk around camp, scouting for resources, bird watching, you name it. Maybe you'll like a small canteen of water, basic wood processing tools, stuff like that. I can see how it could be useful. I would personally just use my scarf, make a shoulder bag with that to carry small shit around camp if needed be.
>>
>>705442

Notepad and pencil,
Rolling kit,
Thermos,
Knife,
(+Lenses)

I was also thinking it would be a good set up for super hot days when you're nekkid
>>
File: Saw.jpg (89KB, 877x650px) Image search: [Google]
Saw.jpg
89KB, 877x650px
I mounted two 100-Round SAW Pouch on a Smokejumper belt when I went hiking.

I carried a small headlamp, extra bic lighter, tinder, small medkit, sharpie, rubbish bag, knife and some snack bars.

If you position the pouches right it won't bounce or impede your leg as you move around.

Also if you are super-sensitive about having them, you can just mount it on your back so people won't notice your autism.
>>
I'm going off what is just off my belt. Pockets, backpack, etc won't be listed.

leather belt (adds 4 strength 4 stamina)
glock 17.
Spare magazine.
If I got my neck knife on, then no knife on belt...if no neck knife, then my esee 4 or 6.
Med kit.
Fire kit.

all my other shit goes in pockets, pack, or around my neck.
>>
File: S.O.B_0530.jpg (9KB, 206x275px) Image search: [Google]
S.O.B_0530.jpg
9KB, 206x275px
You could always go with an old usgi butt pack they are comfortable and you can where a pack over top of one plus they have a belt for extra goodies pic realted they come in flat green of you dont wanna look like your a mill surp guy
>>
>>705544

Really?? Does it really have to be super hot for me to naked while /out/?
>>
I like messenger pouches that you can put over your shoulder

>Water and some food
>compass, matches, iodine, bandages and shit; just in case I have to stay overnight
>pocket knife
>proper knife on belt
>woolen poncho over my clothes, in case overnight

It's generally my favorite way of hiking.
>>
File: IMG_0986[1].jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0986[1].jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>706205
Pic Related

I have that set up. I bought most of the set up from a Vietnam War Reenactor, even his AR and mags which I bring along all the time. The suspenders are comfortable as hell after adding some extra padding by modifying a pistol belt back pad, I also keep a Knife and compass ontop. I added the leg drop holster and holster for my Beretta 92. In my butt pack I keep my socks, underwear and teeshirts rolled up inside it, along with about a day or two worth of food, or trail snacks. I always kept a poncho on the outside just in case. I highly recommend building one up and trying it out. And they all fit around military ruck sacks making wearing both very comfortable.
>>
>>706296

What is the dimensions of your butt pack?
>>
>>706341
Standard or metric?

10 1/2 inches deep, 11 inches across and 5 1/2 inches wide.

Not to mention the larger straps on the bottom and top to attach the poncho. You can also use Alice clips on the side where I usually put my first aid kit and an additional dump pouch on the side.
>>
>>706525

Hmmm, might have to get one. They got them dirt cheap at my local surplus, might have to get one, thanks.
>>
>>706533
Totally worth it and I recommend the suspenders as well just to even out the weight and so it's doesn't kill your back.

They are also rubber lined so pretty waterproof as well.
>>
>>706547

Oh yeah, most def. I got a mole belt that holds my glock 17, few mags for AR and my glock, as well as a med kit, that shit goes all over the place if I don't have my suspender on.

All that is going away soon, ordered a new belt and rig. Here is a review of it that MAC did. Pic related.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HF3zjnrPhkw
>>
>>706559
Here is my full rig laid out so far, now since this was taken I have added a lot to it including a tent, ruck sack cover and a bunch of other little nick knacks.

But I love my Vietnam AR! and the 4x power leaper scope.
>>
File: IMG_0962[1].jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0962[1].jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>706587
ate my pic.
>>
File: cut background.jpg (95KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
cut background.jpg
95KB, 640x480px
>>703584
pic yourself up a belt pad
>>
File: IMG_9425.jpg (351KB, 998x949px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9425.jpg
351KB, 998x949px
>>706612
>>
>>706590

Nice set up, I am digging the Beretta, digging that AR even more, it's not all tactic cool up.
What knife is that you got on the shoulder strap?
>>
>>706625
M3 Trench Knife with a homemade scabbard. I honestly want a thicker knife, but it works for what I need it to do. It's a vintage Operator rig if anything.
>>
>>706641

Nice. This is my belt carry here>>706078 which I need to take pics of.
>>
>>706616
is that a pencil sharpener? Why?
>>
>>707062

Pencil sharpeners can produce some amazing fuel for firw. Make those shavings, hit it with a ferro rod, easy fire.
>>
Why not just use a ribs pack?
>>
>>707083
or you can use your knife to make the shavings? Seems like a tool you don't need
>>
>>707151

Seems useless, but it is not. You can get some very thin shavings without having to use the edge of your knife, I use it all the time here in WA.. Even ppl like Alfieasthetics, McQbushcraft, even Ray Mears comment on it before. All those fucks live in very damp environment like myself

Plus of it is really damn cold out, your fingers don't have a lot of dexterity at that moment, the pencil sharpener allows for a much safer use.

So don't knock it until you try it, you dumbass.
>>
>>707151

Clearly you're a faggot, who doesn't do much fire making in wet conditions.

>>707179 this homo knows what's up.
>>
>>707179
>>707186
wow, hello /b/
>>
>>707179
+1, for the amount of weight and size, seems like useful redundancy.
>>
>>707198

Clearly a newfag. /out/ is nothing more than a version of /b/ minus the gore, cp, other dumb threads. All the racism, rudeness, etc is all over the board, not just in one section. So fuck off nigger.
>>
>>707209
okay. I will fuck off.
>>
>>707209

Pretty much this. The entire board is full of this...go to /k/, /diy/, /fit/, /cgl/, whatever ,you'll find a lot of this...only difference is the amount of it that is there. With that being said, you fuck off too homo.

>>707211
No one cares if you stay or leave. What ever you contribute to this board will only be seen as anonymous, if you decide to pick a name so ppl recognize you, you just become a non nameless faggot. Sure there are good threads here and there, this is mostly just a place of regurgitated shit...same crap over and over 80% of the time...even when you do make an amazing suggestion, some one will still be there to put you down.

Like shit, we are on knife thread 14, like 4/5th of the posts are same pics already posted in previous threads.

Look at all the homeless threads, a new one every other day..same with packs, axes, etc, etc...same shit, dif day. 4chan does make some good toilet reading though.
>>
>>707240
Toilet reading is correct. Its like a forum with ADD that refreshes. With a forum you just search the topic and pick whats relevant and you have everything ever said about that subject. Being on 4chan is kinda like a fed up customer service rep talking to an irritated customer most of the time both explaining the same shit ad nauseum. hang out here too long and you wont be able to stomach the mild mannered forums anymore.

If more people knew how about or how to get to the archive that would be a lot easier
>>
>>707331

Oh man, I'd be happy if more ppl learned how to use the catalog. Just a simple thing to use too...Seeing as that is to hard for like 70% of ppl here, asking them to use an archive is pretty much rocket surgery to them.
>>
>>706205
This

I have an ALICE rig, its perfect for what I need: a light kit which can function as a daypack and can be worn alongside an actual pack.
>>
>>706590
That keyboard is up to no good... I would not feel safe in that house.
>>
>>708053
That's a metal bed spring, not a key board.
>>
>>703584
>ITT rate my utility belt
NTTAWWT, i love me some utility belts!

Anyone got a weight-rated setup? Bonus points for grappling hook!
>>
>>707211
i fucking laughed so hard at this i spit out my beer,
>>
>>704205
Lithfag here. In Europe you can find canvas gunbelts either used from the US army or new, of a very simmilar model. They cost just up to 6€, or you can get used leather BW (Bundeswehr) german belts, they are a little pricier, around th 10€ mark. Both belts seem to be rigid, sturdy and nice overall.
You can see if you can find some noce and cheap polish Helikon poches, their quality is alright and the price is around 12€.
>>
>>703624
Go /out/ more
>>
A gun belt, like the ones used for CC carry are the best. They're reinforced leather with polymer in between the two slabs. They don't crimp or bend, but it also isn't uncomfortable.

Anyone who uses nylon belts or soft leather belts is going to feel like shit carrying things on their belt.
>>
>>705442
In the Mil we look at it as levels.

Level 1 being stuff on your person (pockets, wrists, around neck. Usually includes some food, E&E kit, small knife, water purification, etc)

Level 2 is stuff like LBE and Belt, which can be broken down into two levels themselves with the LBE being left behind.
(Ammo, water for 24-48 hours, mission essential equipment, knives, pistol, etc)

Level 3 is your rucksack. This is all the equipment you need for however long you'll be out until resupply.
(Sleeping system, water, food, clothes, extra ammo, etc)
I like the belt because it takes weight off shoulders. Read somewhere that 1lb on your feet = 4 on your back and the same is true back vs hips. You want the weight on your hips.

If I'm not moving locations or doing anything I can just carry around stuff I know I'll use.

One/two canteen(s)
Knife
Pistol
First Aid kit
Fire
Compass+map/GPS
>>
>>704205
I prefer to just attach some pouches and shit to the hipstrap of my rucksack.
>>
im using a belt kit, leather belt with some holes, d rings and carabiners attached to it.
have a large finnish knife on one side and a fällkniven s1 and a leatherman wave one the other side.
and a small pouch with a compass, firestarting gear and a small flashlight in it on the back.

lightweight and doesnt get in the way of other gear like backpack and can easily be taken on and of. real comfy in my opinion.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.