[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

National Forest Camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: Maxfield Parrish, 'Daybreak.jpg (1MB, 3463x1999px) Image search: [Google]
Maxfield Parrish, 'Daybreak.jpg
1MB, 3463x1999px
Hi, /out/, I'm going to be doing a solo hike over a few days through a national forest over Spring Break. Anything I should know beforehand?
>>
>>701488
bring at least 1-10 guns or similar waffels
>>
>>701491

You been camping in a national forest before?

Also: for protection?
>>
File: lafayettesummittowardslincoln1.jpg (172KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
lafayettesummittowardslincoln1.jpg
172KB, 800x536px
Which park, opie?
>>
>>701499

Davy Crockett National Forest

Not really that many options in East Texas
>>
>>701502
Nick, is that you?
>>
Bring paper for your butthole and extra socks. A gun is a good idea, but can get you in trouble on federal land. Also bring a map and don't get lost and 411'd
>>
there is nothing to say. it's a forest. go in it and camp.

t. i camp in national forests
>>
>>701502
Can't say I've been to Texas.

If you are going to be solo for a few days make sure you have an itinerary and have shared it with someone reliable. If shit hits the wall you will want someone to know when/where you went in, where in park you were planning on going, and when/where you were planning on coming out.

I would also bring a radio to call out just in case. If that's not possible, lots of cellphone battery backs.

Bring in a first aid kit. Make sure you have the basics down. I.E. splints, snake bite kit/treatment, burn treatment, and disinfection/dressing.

Tomorrow belongs to he who prepares for it today.
>>
>>701502
I've been there, it's pretty nice OP. Really all you should do is make sure someone knows where you are going and when you'll be back. Also, check for burn bans.
>>
>>701600
>>701618
>>701725

OP here, thanks guys, awesome advice -- very excited!!
>>
>>701502

Well, there's a two-day back country hike through Big Thicket. There's also Trail Between the Lakes if you're looking for some good multi-days. SH has some good hiking + primitive that I am contemplating soon.

I've camped in all the National Forests in East Texas and they're all nice - nothing like an NF in CO or CA or NM or WY, mind you but they have their own charm if you're in a good spot. In any case, Crockett was my least favorite but it's been a while since I've camped out there.
>>
>>701488
Tell yet mum where you're going.
>>
>>701737

What was your favorite Texas park, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>701805

You need to understand that parks and national forests are not the same thing.
>>
>>701488
National Forests typically lack the amenities of National Parks, i.e. maintained trails, campgrounds, outhouse facilities. Not to say there are no campgrounds in National Forests, just not as many and not as nice. In National Parks you are asked to utilize existing campsites wherever possible.
>>
>>702110
>In National Parks you are asked to utilize existing campsites wherever possible.
Correction, In National Forests you are asked to utilize existing campsites wherever possible.
In National Parks they get downright cranky if you camp anywhere other than an established spot.
>>
>>702112
>In National Parks they get downright cranky if you camp anywhere other than an established spot.

True dat--you'll be fined otherwise.
The nice thing about the parks in Utah is that just outside the park there is always BLM land where you can pitch a tent anywhere you like for free. And the landscape is just as awesome as inside the park.
>>
>>701827

No I understand the difference, I was just using park synonymous with national forest
>>
What exactly are the rules regarding firearms on Federal land?
>>
File: 20160228_104617_001-1.jpg (3MB, 2004x2495px) Image search: [Google]
20160228_104617_001-1.jpg
3MB, 2004x2495px
>>702308
Most ban loaded firearms inside a certain area surrounding campgrounds. Other than that it's just state laws.
>>
OP here again, about to head out in a few days.

What are some do's and don'ts of a national forest, such as what these guys said
>>702308
>>702547
but in terms of:
* fire supply gathering
* the 'need' to check in at the front before hiking
* transporting people from the end of the trail
>>
since were on the subject, whats a good place to go hiking to when i dont have a car and must rely on public transportation/walking. i reside in boston

everything seems to require a vehicle
>>
>>701600
A gun will only get you in trouble on federal land if you are using it irresponsibly. I.E. firing near buildings, across roads/rivers/trails or otherwise indiscriminately discharging it.

>.t lifelong federal land camper
>>
>>702308
Don't carry your weapon loaded inside any buildings or developed campgrounds. Do not discharge a firearm near a building or developed campground
Do not discharge a firearm across roads, trails, or rivers.
Target shooting must be done against an adequate backstop, do not target shoot into trees or across open fields.
Some smaller forests may only allow target shooting at established shooting ranges, call the local district office for more information.
>>
>>704505
>fire supply gathering
Varies from place to place, depending on local environmental conditions. Call or email the district office for more information.
>checking in at the trail head
Some trails may have a log book or self-registration kiosk at the trail head. These are not used for search and rescue purposes. They are used to determine how many people are visiting a forest, where they are going and how long they are staying.
>transporting people from the end of the trail
I'm not sure what your concern here is. Most trailheads will have a parking lot, more popular trails may require a parking pass. Again call the district office for more info.
>>
>>704841
>>704843
>>704846

These are super fucking useful, guys. Thanks a ton for your intel
>>
>>705115
You're welcome.

It's usually a good idea to contact the district office before any multi-day trip to check for things like temporary fire bans, trail closures, etc.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.