[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best batoning knife/hatchet for $40 or less?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

File: 100_0066.jpg (236KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
100_0066.jpg
236KB, 1024x768px
$40 is the most I'm willing to spend. Cheapfag here and I just can't justify spending any more than that on a knife that I'll use just for batoning.

>nb4 "get an axe" I'd rather not drag one around when hiking to camping spots.
>>
File: 619srR8dJ7L._SL1000_.jpg (111KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
619srR8dJ7L._SL1000_.jpg
111KB, 1000x1000px
In that price range maybe Schrade? They have some thick knives for lower cost. Schrade SCHF36 is $26 on Amazon atm.
>>
>>699967
>batoning knife
>under $40
bahco wrecking knife it is
>>
at that point, get a wedge, or chisel
>>
Can't you just get a small axe?
>>
>>700007
this i always baton my hatchet.
people tell me "you can't do that" but sure you can. and it works.
>>
File: fiskars.jpg (38KB, 717x650px) Image search: [Google]
fiskars.jpg
38KB, 717x650px
>>
>>699967
Get a fiskars
>>
>>699982
I can vouch for the Schrade, as stupid as batoning is the spine is around 1/4 in thick, so I doubt you'll run into any issues, just stick to the carbon steel one though.
>>
>>700020
Yup.

I had a shitty 15 buck hand axe from walmart (yeah the one with the bendy tube steel upper handle) and I was batoning the fuck out of mesquite logs for a cookout for my welding class last year. People were looking at me funny but it was working so fuck them.
>>
File: Axe-batoning.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Axe-batoning.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>700020

^So much this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY425BtlqYc
>>
>>700020
>this i always baton my hatchet.

Nothing wrong with that at all and it is a very safe method of splitting wood. It is actually recommended because of the level of safety involved.

Personally, I'd rather be more prepared and have better methods than to have a need for splitting or batonning anything while camping or general /out/.
>>
>>700828
welp, at least 3 of those blades can be salvaged. probably not by their owners though
>>
I don't really under stand the whole batoning meme. I've never felt the need to baton anything while /out/.
>>
>>700828
>>700828
who doesn't baton with their axe?

Hmmm, swing on a small piece of wood you're trying to split to make kindling or set your axe on it and tap the end?
>>
>>700828

Seems like that more a problem with poor quality knives than batoning.
>>
File: Glock_Feldmesser_FM_78.jpg (153KB, 1548x667px) Image search: [Google]
Glock_Feldmesser_FM_78.jpg
153KB, 1548x667px
>>699967
>>
>>701062
The method used where you hold the log to the axe and swing both the axe and the log is more dangerous than batonning simply due to the awkward grip.

With batonning the axe, the axe head doesn't move more than the thickness of the log/branch you are batonning through. With the other method you still have to swing the axe head.

What I don't get is how mouth-breathing retards are injuring themselves in the first place with ANY method while using an axe. They must be the absolute dumbest shits ever. Hopefully, they bleed out somewhere and don't upload any more retarded vids to youtube.
>>
File: Batonning for Dummies.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Batonning for Dummies.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>701074
>>701057
Batonning is for that crowd of dumb faggots who willfully abuse their tools.
>>
batoning was popularized as a stress test for reviewers. their patrols then adopted that as proof for its every day utility, when it definitely is not

i am not an advocate for wedges, but if you refuse to carry an axe, carry a sturdy wedge/chisel
>>
>>701241
what the fuck knife is that
>>
>>701316
"mtech"
>>
>>701320
nope cold steel srk
>>
>>699982
I second the Schrade. I'm a hatchet/axe guy, but for the money you can't go wrong with a Schrade, even though they're made over seas.

>>699984
I second this as well, guy I work with cuts wedges out of 2x4's regularly when we're feeding phone lines, they're good working knives.

>>700020
This this this this this this. It's the best way to split wood with a hatchet, I really only chop with it when I'm de-limbing or "hewing".

>>701176
Never seen that type of Glock knife before, looks snazzy though. I'd be hesitant to smash it through logs constantly, but looks like a great field/boar knife based on Glock's track record.

>>701316
Cold Steel SRK. Despite their stupid advertising (I'm debating on whether to call it autistic), they make decent products. I'd never do that with mine, but it's a good field knife. I leave mine in my duty bag.
>>
>>701363
>Cold Steel SRK
it's the old carbon v tho not the new one.
they say the new one sucks in comparison and got more expensive probably cause of the hype.
>>
>>701314
>i am not an advocate for wedges, but if you refuse to carry an axe, carry a sturdy wedge/chisel

I only carry a knife. All I do with my knife, for wood stuff, is making feather sticks and whittling. There's no real reason to bring an axe anywhere unless you need to construct stuff. For fires I use a rocket stove.
>>
>>701372
Ah, good thing to note there. I think they switched to AUS 8 now for the base version, which is a fairly decent steel, just not for what they're charging.
>>
>>701396
aus8 wouldn't break so i don't think so it's extremely tough but does not hold a very good edge. they use something called vg-1 which is again something weird they made up.
>>
>>700030
I carry the older 17" hatchet in my bag. Strapped to the outside that is. It is light for its size and always sees heavy use.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>701241
So much this.

>lived in the woods for thirty years son.

>cut all my own firewood and so do my neighbors.

>my only heat is a woodstove in the PNW

>been camping, fishing hunting and making campfires since sometime in the early 80's

>lived in the desert for a year.
>set fires every night and each morning

>set burn piles alight all winter long

The only people I've ever seen "ba toning" wood are young men on the internet that grew up without fathers.

Your Dad, if you had one, would have

>A: kicked your ass for abusing his knife
>B: showed you the right tool for the right job, extra weight be damned

Get a fiskars
I love mine.
>>
>>701363
the Glock FM 78 is more a sharpened prypar then a knife and takes a shitload of abuse. in germany you can get it for ~35€, which is on the cheaper end for a knife.

also related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc5TNRnVhtw
>>
>>701878
>The only people I've ever seen "ba toning" wood are young men on the internet that grew up without fathers.

A bit this, to be honest. We really are a generation of men raised by women. My dad was an arsehole and I cut contact with him as a teenager. He never really showed me a much of the manly arts and so only now have I become interested in bushcraft.

So yeah, if you grew up with a shitty dad where else are you gonna learn this shit from?

>taught self to shave
>friend taught me to tie a tie
>taught myself how to tie knots
>mother taught me to drive

sadface
>>
>>701878
>Get a fiskars
not batoning fiskers for precision work
>>
>>701878
Now that the dust has settled from this ebic post.

/thread
/out

There is no arguing what this man said.

Fuck you batoning faggots.
>>
>>699984
This. All others won't be recommended by the manufacturer to strike the spine with a hammer.
>>
>>701878
This.
>>
>>701363
don't be afraid to abuse glock knives.
my problem with them is they are expensive and i found the touch of the hilt and sheath disgusting.
>>
>>701942
fugg off batoning is a perfectly valid technique.
making it a benchmark for knives is arguably retarded tho.
>>
>>701878
So much this.
>>
>>702087
0/10
>>
>>701240
I'm talking about axe on wood, smack back of axe with other piece of wood. Not swinging both together. I can't see how this isn't the safest option. And I'm one of those dumbasses that has hurt himself with an axe. Tired and dark and swung on a log on the ground, missed and hit my shin. More bruise than cut since axe didn't get through all my layers, but somewhere in the woods in central oregon someone heard a long and loud "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck" from the other side of a mountain.
>>
>>703222
At the end of a long day of cutting trees down with an axe I went to set the axe in the last stump. I lifted it up about waste high and let it fall under its own weight onto the stump top. But, it hit one of the angled sections and glanced off. I let it swing beside my leg to try again but it hit the stump of some weed near the ground and glanced over and hit my shin. It was a light tap and bounced off...

I had to walk home (1mile) with blood gushing out of my shoe. It took 15 stitches to sew up and I had to have xrays to make sure it didn't hit bone. I was even wearing jeans. The double headed axe blade is always ultra sharp. I was really lucky it was only a flesh wound.
>>
>>701241
kek'd but >stopknoifeabuse2k14
>>
>>701316
cold steel srk
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.