[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Single rope technique

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: 20160225_185856.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160225_185856.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Does anyone else into SRT?
Rappeling, rope walking, frog ascending, tree climbing , prusikking,

Am I the only one?

Well, I'm just now getting into it actually. Been a caver for years but just now getting into vertical caving.

Basically I want to start practicing changeovers from ascending to descending , and descending to ascending in a pecan tree in my backyard, I finally got my entire set of gear the other day.
>>
File: 20160225_142310.jpg (722KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20160225_142310.jpg
722KB, 1920x1080px
Having a hard time getting a pic as I don't have a full body mirror.
my setup is,
-gonzo guano gear seat harness / chest harness
-Mallion rapide half moon screwlink
-SMC 5 Bar rack
-petzl ascension
-petzl croll
-cowtails made of 9mm dynamic rope
-2 non locking carabiners on cow tails
-1 locking carabiner stored on gear loop

The rope I have is 40 feet of PMI max wear static line, no useage yet besides knot tying in my room.
>>
File: IMG_20151203_075235.jpg (382KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151203_075235.jpg
382KB, 1080x1080px
And here's a rappel into a cave on some loaner gear for fun
>>
>>698990
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say rappell, this was actually an ascent out
>>
>>698985
What rope retrieval method do you use?
>>
>>699414
Well, the tree I was going to set up on was going to about 12 feet total height, climb the tree get the rope. I mostly do cave stuff, rope retrieval is really easy
>>
File: 59816-800.jpg (115KB, 527x800px) Image search: [Google]
59816-800.jpg
115KB, 527x800px
I work full time as a canyon guide.

I generally roll with the petzl crevasse kit for hauling and ascending(pic related). It's light as all hell and really efficient.
>>
>>699701
That looks great for canyoneering, I'm not okay with the descender though
Seems like everyone I know in the caving community either uses a rack, or gets laughed at for using bobbins. So I have a full size rack, going to upgrade to a micro rack w/ hyper bar
>>
>>700757
Maybe help clear this up for me. I'm a climber and ive used ATCs Grigri's Gigi's etc. I've even used a rack caving once. But I've never understood why y'all use em so religiously
>>
>>700757
There isn't a descender in that picture. Its a rescue, kit for hauling/ ascending consisting of a rope grab pulley, regular pulley and a tibloc rope grab.

>>701011
I'm not a caver, but I was always told it had to do with better heat dissipation over longer abseil's and adjustable friction, which makes sense. The longest abseil I have ever done was 190m and I was pretty glad it was on a rack.

Its funny when you get guys using them in the canyon though. They get laughed at for taking ages to rig up and then using too much friction and taking forever to descend.
>>
>>698985
I'm just getting into SRT as part of my uni's caving club.
Got my shirt caught in the descender the other night.
>>
For trees and super steep banks I the woods and stuff I use a caribener and an Italian hitch for abseil control. Have done trevellien traversing (not sure on that name, some Italian name for sure its just a standard traverse one side to another) with cow tails. Just getting into canyoning and leading but I suggest some strops, cams (dmm dragon cam) 2 cowtails made with 9mm static rope. A prusick or one of those new toothed rope climbers or a cinch/grigri now much you cant do.
>>
>>701195
I have long hair, and on a 40m rappel I had my pony tail sucked into a figure 8 a couple years ago. It could happen with any descender, but figure 8 is a shitty one to have it in, as you cannot detach the device from the rope without first detaching from harness.
Luckily I was 4 and a half feet from the ground , and was able to stand on a friends shoulders , take the descender off, and just hop off rope.
>>
I'm a climbing newb with some questions. I'm looking to learn how to climb trees for hunting remote areas and for climbing mountains that are too steep to climb without ropes. What are some things I would need and techniques that should be used? There seems like a lot of jargon in the climbing world. I would also like the gear to be relatively lightweight since I'll be carrying it into remote areas. I also have no climbing gym or stores within 200 miles of here, so I'm gonna have to teach myself. This really isn't an issue because I'm no idiot.
>>
>>701298
You're not going to teach yourself rope sports. I'm a beginner with rigging knowledge and still don't trust myself rigging a rope somewhere without someone more advanced than me watching over.

Where are you from? There are many climbing groups out there, along with SRT groups. Find out what kind of climbing you want to do first

Climbing rock walls?
Or rappelling off the top?
Or tree climbing?

SRT would be the best choice for the latter 2,
I'd suggest looking for an arborist club or caving grotto near you.
>>
>>701359
>not going to teach myself rope sports
Why? I keep hearing this. I'm not saying I'm gonna go repel off a 100 ft rock face my first time. Obviously I would practice low to the ground then try it out.

>don't trust myself
OK that's perfectly fine and I understand, but why should I not trust myself just because you dont?

>Where you from
I'm from a rural area and as I said before I'm far from any places or groups for climbing. So far that going to them just to learn climbing isn't worth learning climbing. If I gotta travel that fat to learn I just assume not even try to learn from the men and just teach myself.
>>
>>701298
i am not even an amateur, i am an onlooker. but in a recent interest in cordage. there is a cord called technora, where there are ropes made out of it that are about the size of paracord, but are rated at 5000 lb test, and are wear resistant. there are claims that militaries have adopted it for lightweight rappeling kits, and i would love to imagine minimalist rappeling kits.
>>
>>701368
Not that guy and you probably can teach yourself but it isn't good practice to be doing things unsupervised especially if you are new.
There might be critical things that you miss.
>>
>>701368
Tons of old badass climbers learned off sketchy gear and didnt have much knowledge. But I bet you could learn at least as well as that watching YouTube videos and stuff. Learn how to set up rap anchors, test it out and post online, have all the gear fags tell you whats wrong and then go out climbing
>>
>>701298
Here are some good general resources to start with. I'm not a climber so I have only listed roping resources.

I'll give you the same advice I give to everyone who is new to roping: if you want to be 100% certain in your abilities you need to get the relevant formal qualification.

General:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountaineering:_The_Freedom_of_the_Hills

Knots:
http://ropewiki.com/Knot
http://www.animatedknots.com/

Anchors:
http://ropewiki.com/Anchor

http://www.rescuedynamics.ca/articles/pdfs/EarnestAnchors3.pdf

Rigging
http://ropewiki.com/Category:Riggings
>>
>>701368
When I asked where are you from, I wanted to know a regional location, to see what kind of stuff you'd be climbing.

And in my opinion, an instructor would be necessary to avoid death. You don't understand how many things go wrong on rope.
And if no one is there to help you get off rope, you could end up suspended mid air for a really long period of time.

Not to mention, critical information that that amateur on youtube forgot to tell you about changeovers or whatever.

Nothing I say is going to stop you , but it'd be smart to just make a friend or hang out with a group who would be willing to help. It's really not that hard.
I like how you completely ignored that part of my comment.
>>
>>702032
let darwin handle it
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.