[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you eat edible plants /out/? What plants do you eat?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 29

File: Young Bracken.jpg (57KB, 400x379px) Image search: [Google]
Young Bracken.jpg
57KB, 400x379px
Do you eat edible plants /out/?
What plants do you eat?
>>
Fuck I've always wanted to try that but the ferns in australia are all poisonous. As for what I've eaten it's probably only been dandelion and purslane.
>>
Cattails, a bunch of flowers, licorice root, clover. Cattails are my favorite though. Mild and lightly crunchy. I'll also chew on willow bark if I'm out and about and have a nasty headache. Tastes gross but it works just fine.
>>
Wild berries too. There's a bazillion different species where I live.
>>
>>698222
What do you mean all the ferns are poisonous?
>>
>>698187
>Do you eat edible plants

Doesn't everyone?
>>
Inner pine bark tastes like shit but useful.
>>
>>698187
aren't most species of bracken carcinogenic?
>>
I eat dandelions, miner's lettuce, goosefoot, blueberries, blackberries, mulberries, wild strawberries, wild spinach. I primarily forage for the other kingdom, fungi. Chicken of the woods, hen of the woods, jew's ear, chanterelles, turkey tail, dryads saddle, morels, old man of the woods, boletes of all shapes and sizes... you name it!
>>
File: Elderberries_Fresh_Harvest (1).jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Elderberries_Fresh_Harvest (1).jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Elderberries, mulberries, and raspberries. I also forage for mushrooms (mostly chanterelles).
>>
File: Chanterelles.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Chanterelles.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>698322
Delicious chanterelles. Selling these to local restaurants is also an easy way to make some side money.
>>
File: DSCN3015a.jpg (1MB, 3208x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3015a.jpg
1MB, 3208x2304px
>>698187
I eat pretty much anything that is in season and tastes remotely good. Most people think most of the stuff isn't that palatable, but those people are normally to used to eating flavorless, store bought, watery, sweet, greens and such.

I eat 90% of the weeds that grow in my garden for instance. Some are no longer weeds, they are full blown crops now, because they are amazingly delicious. Like lambs quarter for instance. Fix it like you would spinach. Harvest it before it is 12 inches high or has a tough stem. You shouldn't have to peel the skin to enjoy it, if you do, it is too old/large.
>>
>>698323
>Selling these to local restaurants is also an easy way to make some side money.

Everyone says this but no place within 500 miles of me will buy them because everything is fucking fast food joints and fried foods places with fries, burgers, and shakes.
>>
>>698449
Where do you live that there isn't one upscale restaurant within 500 miles?
>>
>>698187
Clover, dandelions, blackberries. I've eaten cattail biscuits before but never harvested them.
>>
>>698187
Lots of shit
>Japanese knotweed
>Dandelion
>Purslane
>Ground Ivy
>Clover
>Lamb's quarters
>All sorts of berries
And many many more
It's easier to get produce outside than it is at your local grocery store if you know what to look for.
>>
>>698222
Don't eat the fiddle heads faggots. You have access to fern trunk starch. That shit is expensive otherwise.
>>
Last time I went out I had a shit ton of chickweed. Shit grows absolutely everywhere. Coming up on mushroom season too.
>>
>>698473
Explain faggot. Ive never heard this an i live in the south.
>>
>>698269
i don't ever eat anything i find in the forest
that shit is nasty and full of poisions
>>
>>698522
Aboriginals in Tasmania
starches out of tree fern stalk.
http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/content.php?147-Soft-Tree-Fern-(Dicksonia-Antarctica)

If you process it by completely separating the starch from fiber you'll get warabe starch which is expensive and speciality.
>>
No I eat the inedible ones.
>>
File: fiddlehead.jpg (411KB, 1594x668px) Image search: [Google]
fiddlehead.jpg
411KB, 1594x668px
>>698454
B.F.E. Besides, I wouldn't want to drive so far as to completely waste the money I'd make on fuel.

>>698622
Soft Tree Fern (Dicksonia Antarctica) only grows in Australia. Fiddleheads grow just about everywhere but are normally nothing like Dicksonia Antarctica.
>>
File: Identification.jpg (2MB, 2560x3128px) Image search: [Google]
Identification.jpg
2MB, 2560x3128px
>>698524
>Do you eat edible plants /out/?
>edible plants

So, edible plants apparently are all full of poisons. All plants have poisons in them. That's nature. Being poisonous to humans is another thing entirely. Plants edible to humans are not considered poisonous. Although, some do have parts that you don't eat because they are poisonous.

You just need to learn what and how to eat what you find.
>>
File: DSCN9731.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9731.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Last plant thing I ate was chicken of the woods.
>>
File: Cunila origanoides.jpg (1MB, 2240x1872px) Image search: [Google]
Cunila origanoides.jpg
1MB, 2240x1872px
>>698187

last summer I found the mother lode of this herb. Might start harvesting it in bulk
>>
>>698659
>Mushrooms = plants

What is this the 1700s? Fungi are genetically closer to humans than plants.
>>
>>698671
>>698680
pls no bully
>>
>>698294
To be edible and tasty, pine bark should be sliced thin as close as possible to the wood and then either baked or fried like potato chips. They're quite good that way.
>>
>>698654
Fiddlehead is a general term to mean the uncoiled fronds
>>
>>698671
>man dead from stand wounds and gunshots
>must have eaten bad mushrooms

Moron.
>>
File: 4.1.12.jpg (243KB, 1000x1350px) Image search: [Google]
4.1.12.jpg
243KB, 1000x1350px
Any recommended books with illustrations/pictures on what plants to eat, What can be used as medicine, What is poisonous etc
>>
>>698713
It is used exclusively for edible ones.
>>
>>698728
"Certain varieties of fiddleheads have been shown to be carcinogenic"

No, its describing unfurled fronds regardless of edibility
>>
>>698187
>Do you eat edible plants /out/?
No, just the inedible ones.
>>
>>698739
>Something might be mildly carcinogenic
>That means it's not edible
I suppose being exposed to the sun is intolerable.
>>
>>698187
I've eaten wild blue berries innawoods before, but that was about it.
>>
>>698748
No fern is deadly. This encompasses them all.
>>
>>698727
see pic in
>>698658

>>698739
No, it is used exclusively for the edible ones.

>"Certain varieties of fiddleheads have been shown to be carcinogenic"

The enzyme that causes this is rendered inert and safe when the plant is cooked.
>>
>>698728
You're wrong. I've studied botany and plant biology. They're called fiddleheads because of the way they look, not because they're edible.
>>
>>699386
>all fiddleheads are edible

hurr
>>
>>698187
Eat stinging nettle from time to time. They are tasting pretty interesting.
>>
>>698236
Where can I find information about my regions plants?
>>
>>699461
see pic in
>>698658
on how to google shit
>>
>>698739
>carcinogenic
Heh I was hired to clear all fern from a forest lot once. Eagle ferns or whatever. Because the owner was scared her chill uns would get cancer. Just me and the shredder. Best work week of my life
>>
>>699437
You should try stinging nettle coffee
>just coffee with boiling nettle water instead of boiling water, bretty gud
>>
>>698187
Around my land I have eaten
Dollar weed
Bitter orange (do it every year because I forget it horrible)
Passion fruit
Blackberries
Wild onions
>>
>>699437
I've heard they make an excellent substitute for spinach in creamed spinach. Actually heard they tasted better.
>>
late spring to early fall: indian cucumber root
year round: sassafrass root, cattail pancakes, wild onion
early spring: fiddleheads
mid-late spring:cattail pollen
late summer: blackberries, raspberries, blueberries
>>
>>698187
No but I try to have some vegetables to balance my diet out.
>>
>>698524
You do realize that all the veg on your plate were once wild? Just the more palatable plants have been cultivated. Spinach is a great example, think sea beet first.
>>
>>698187
Bagazilions of diferent fruits fromt he cerrado (brazilian savannah) when I lived there. Now here near the coast there isn't much (at least native)
>>
>>698448
>>698323

noice
>>
File: 135.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
135.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>698659

Fungi are fucking great yo.

Mycologist here, I eat a lot of stuff from the woods. Hoping to find morels soon.

Pic related, austroboletus betula. My fave.
>>
File: 007.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
007.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>703782

Hericium erinaceus I grew.
>>
>>698263
everything is poisonous in australia, so by extension, any ferns would be as well
>>
File: 076.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
076.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>703790

Sparassis, another goodie.
>>
File: IMG_2030.jpg (78KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2030.jpg
78KB, 640x480px
>>703792

Pleurotus eryngii
>>
File: IMG_2074.jpg (95KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2074.jpg
95KB, 480x640px
>>703795

Cantharellus cibarius
>>
File: 392.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
392.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>703798

Lactarius indigo. Edible, but bitter and grainy.
>>
Not a mycologist but an avid shroom fan. It's been raining for the past few days and should lighten up around tuesday. I'll be going to a local trail and seeing what i can find. Will post results of the excursion
>>
Is there a guide to growing shrooms? Preferably containable since my mother is allergic to them.

And I don't mean drug ones. I mean edible ones.
>>
>have nice, friendly old neighbor who was big on the plants
>would show me what wild plants are OK to eat, how to prepare it etc
>she gets older and a little senile
>tells me some mushrooms are OK to eat and picks them for me me
>hmmm
>her husband later rushes out and tells me not to eat those and discreetly throw them out
The two of them were /out/standing, may they rest in piece
>>
>>698187
I ate that on a survival course.
We just settled for going after feral goats and geese and never tried that shit again
>>
>>705011
>piece
Fucking auto correct trying to tell me what I am saying.
>>
File: Överlevnad.jpg (92KB, 618x768px) Image search: [Google]
Överlevnad.jpg
92KB, 618x768px
During Sweden's conscription days the basic survival guide listed 12 plants that can be life-saving and keep your belly (sort of) full. Most of the plants exist in North America too I think.
>Birch sap, contains 2% sugar, keeps you hydrated
>Cow Parsley/Wild chervil (15% carbohydrates). Can be mistaken for poison hemlocks and fools parsley, so be careful.
>Typha/Bulrush/Reedmace/Corn dog grass. Lots of starch, 21% carbohydrates
>Hylotelephium telephium/Orpine/. Meaty leaves, 10% carbohydrates.
>Iceland moss. Nutritious.
>Usnea filipendula/fishbone beard lichen. Good nutrition, avoid yellow ones.
>Lasallia pustulata/Lichen rock tripe. Helps immune system, some nutrition.
>Taraxacum/Dandilion. Lots of C-vitamins, 23% carbohydrates.
>Fireweed/rosebay willowherb. Lots of starch, 16% carbohydrates. Good source of Vitamin C and pro-vitamin A
>Rose hips. Sugar and vitamin C. Can be used to make soup/juice.
>Alpine bistort. Bulbils contain 17% carbohydrates
>Scots pine. Shoots can be consumed from May to June. Short roots (lower than 50cm) can be boiled and consumed. Good source of vitamins.
>Arctium tomentosum/wooly burdock. Roots contain 21% carbohydrates.
>Reeds. Young stems, wheat-like seeds and roots can be consumed. Contains about 7% carbohydrates.
This is of course mainly catered to Scandinavian nature so look things up more specifically to your area. Still, most of these should exist in the northern hemisphere in general.

On top of this, knowing local mushrooms, roots, plants, fruits and berries is a great idea. Lots of Chanterelles here some parts of the year and they're delicious.
>>
>>705065
Here's my personal list for Eastern North America. You'd need to research each one to determine what part of the plant is edible, how it must be harvested and prepared, and how much you can eat.
>>
>>705007
see
>>696039

Keep in mind that growing the drug ones is the same as growing the culinary ones, so don't just dismiss the drug guides for growing them. They often times have much better techniques and tips than the culinary guides.
>>
>>705065

bork bork?
>>
I boil blackberry leaves in my water to help prevent bad shits while hiking. Literally the only knowledge of plants I possess. Should buy a book.
>>
>>705898
>I boil blackberry leaves in my water to help prevent bad shits
wat
>>
>>703782
Are edible fungi more easily identifiable than edible plants?
>>
>>705903
No.
>>
Part of my job is IDing plants.
I eat wild plants occasionally, but there aren't many good ones where I live.
I do quite a bit of berry picking though.
>>
>>698676
That's wild mint, mate.

Go right ahead, you can make tea out of it, spice dishes, etc. It's a wonderful plant with a lot of health benefits.

Mind you, there are some other forest/mountain weeds with similar appearance which are not the same. Just pluck a leaf, grind it with your fingers and smell it - if it's minty, you're game.
>>
File: Suillus_luteus_475376.jpg (264KB, 1280x961px) Image search: [Google]
Suillus_luteus_475376.jpg
264KB, 1280x961px
I eat a lot of forest fruits and shrooms, I absolutely love slippery jacks (pic related). They are delicious and have no poisonous "doubles".
>>
File: frost flower.jpg (125KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
frost flower.jpg
125KB, 640x480px
>>708022
>smell it
actually it's wild oregano, look up its binomial nomenclature, Cunila origanoides. the herbal-bum has a very good article on this plant https://thegreenfarmacygarden.com/page/2/
>>
Are there any good manuals or guides? I will be going to a survival school and I want to be ready.
>>
>>698801
I grow them outaide of my house for the purpose of eating, as does my father and have done so since I was a child.
Aa well you can buy these deadly foods prepackaged at a local grocery store...
>>
File: RIMG109490.jpg (735KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
RIMG109490.jpg
735KB, 1280x960px
Portulaca oleracea in salads and Tropaeolum Majus
but also flower acacia fritters
>>
>>708304
>Portulaca oleracea

I grow this in my garden. Delicious.

>>708163
Some restaurants sell them too.
>>
>>708122

The Peterson Field guide is useful.
>>
>>703782
Mmmmm.
>>
>>705903

Some of them are like the common morel, giant puffball, or shaggy mane. You still want to take your time and learn when and where they grow and how to identify them because even those have some lookalikes.
>>
File: Fireweed.jpg (760KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Fireweed.jpg
760KB, 1440x1080px
Anyone ever cook with this?
I've seen a few sources claim the natives would use the sap to bind cakes, but no recipe.
>>
>>698187
Yep. Dandelions are one of my favorites along with blackberries. Love berry picking season.
>>
>>703792
Cool, looks a lot like a follicular dendritic cell desu
>>
>>709310
Use the young shoots raw and like asparagus.
Use the flowers in salads or to make tea.
Use dried leaves to make tea.
Any part of the plant you can easily sink your fingernail into and cut with your fingernail is prime eating for raw or cooked.

Like Asparagus, Bamboo, and Hosta, Fireweed is best eaten as shoots.
>>
>>698222
No, bracken fern can be edible. Have tried it myself.

Won't be doing so since I know of the mild poison and carcinogenic properties.
>>
File: IMAG0472.jpg (2MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0472.jpg
2MB, 1520x2688px
Personally, I couldn't identify any edible plants in a eucalpyt forest.

I have eaten from pine forests though.
>>
File: IMG_2617.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2617.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>710846
There are a few, though I didn't consider it worth it.
Geebung, for instance, doesn't seem to ripen.
Some other fruit with the seed outside it was also edible, I believe. It was some sort of plant which also tapped into foreign root systems.
Grasses should be edible, right all?

Yeah, milk caps and the other one I've gathered. Gotta love the weird shit you find in the process of going about a plantation. I swear, people probably kidnap cattle and cut and cook it whole in there. All the bones around the place...

Also, pic is of the corner of Vulcan State Forest.
>>
What are those flowers that grow on bushes, they are yellow and you pull the middle thing out and suck the juice out of it? I eat on those and tons of blackberry bushes around my area.
>>
>>712719
Geebung fruit is ripe once it has fallen off the tree. You're unlikely to find a ripe one picking them from the tree. Look on the ground.

The one with the seed on the outside might be Brush cherry (Exocarpos cupressiformis) pic related. Tasty if you can beat the birds to them.
>>
>>698658
in the picture, can you tell me wich is NOT conium maculatum.

its dangerous to get that wrong
>>
>>712778
>can you tell me wich is NOT conium maculatum.

No, not really. The only one you can have 100% is the one in the top left corner with the black speck in the top of the center of the flower. Even then you'd need it in your hands to make sure that black speck is part of the flower. The rest you'd need to know the dates the flower was blooming, the location, and the rest of the plant to inspect.

Read the info in that image in the second post, the paragraph labeled "3".
>>
Acorns, wild garlic, Ive seen wild lettuce but im not going near it.
>>
>>712739
Thanks anon. That's the one. Shame they're out of season just like every other plant seed I desire.

Yeah, I'm not convinced about the ground eating bit. Once my longifolia grows, I'll probably be bagging it up, hoping that they'll ripen hanging above the ground and no bacteria is responsible in aiding the process.
Eating ones off the ground which have lied around for a few weeks or months isn't that appealing, honestly.
>>
>>713776
I ate a tonne of them from the ground this past season. I'm lucky enough to have heaps of Persoonia linearis growing in my bush. You can tell by feel if they've been there too long. I always inspect the skin. Any marks that suggest something has crawled in, ill chuck it and try another one.

You could always set up a small tarp on stakes directly below to catch naturally fallen fruit.
>>
>>705065
If you don't boil the moss and lichen in a few changes of water you're going to feel like shit most likely.
>>
My woods place has loads of fiddleheads in the spring, right around the time the morel mushrooms come up. Which happens to coincide with turkey season so I usually have a dish with wild turkey, morels, and fiddleheads.

Nettles are a little later but very tasty. Cattails are a year round gather but in the spring the greenery off them is best.

Later we get chanterelles and lots of black berries and raspberries.

Pawpaws are ready after that, have a lot of pawpaw trees.

After the first frost or two it is time for persimmons. I can tear up a whole batch of persimmon pudding.
>>
File: john-clayton.jpg (25KB, 300x326px) Image search: [Google]
john-clayton.jpg
25KB, 300x326px
>>712731
honeysuckle?
>>
I like broccoli
>>
File: hortres201424-f1.jpg (164KB, 537x600px) Image search: [Google]
hortres201424-f1.jpg
164KB, 537x600px
>>716381
>broccoli

read up on the Triangle of U.
It's cool to imagine protohumans wandering across mesopotamia and encountering wild mustard for the 1st time.
>>
File: 50573469.jpg (8KB, 332x249px) Image search: [Google]
50573469.jpg
8KB, 332x249px
>>709111
>>
>>698263
It's Australia. Everything is poisonous...
>>
>>698294
Have you just read that in a guide or have you actually done it? Apparently, there some starch but good lord, its bitter. I wouldn't make it if that's my only option, not worth girdling the tree. Yeah you can do it in vertical strips but it still does damage.
>>
Back when I lived further south and near more mesic forests I used to love eating wild ramps. Now i'm surrounded by more sandy soils and xeric sites, great blueberries though.
>>
>>698322
are elderberries edible when fresh off he branch? cause i thought you could only use them to make jam and stuf
>>
>>716781
It is kind of like trying to use cattail rhizomes to get enough starch to make something edible. While the starch you get is pretty nice, getting it is a mega pain in the ass. However, cattail hearts and cattail pollen are easy to get when in season and easy to process.

>>716849
No, you must cook or ferment them. Use vegetable oil to help remove the green gunk when processing them.
>>
If you fry chicken of the wood does it taste like fried chicken ?
>>
File: DSCN5950b.jpg (2MB, 3072x2133px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5950b.jpg
2MB, 3072x2133px
>>718675
It is actually quite close. It is more about the seasonings and stuff you normally use for chicken. Regardless, it is delicious when fried like chicken or batter dipped and deep fried.
>>
>>698187
i made a document ( no title right now ) and its not very vast or professional, but one of the "chapters" highlight about 30 edible and poisonous plants in north america, and any medicinal properties they could have.
I'd love to post it but im at work, however a general guide to plants is this: Break the berry or plant fiber, rub the insides on a sensitive part of your body like the inside of your arm or neck, and wait 20 minutes. If you break into a rash or get any redness, do not eat the plant or berry, if nothing happens, it is most likely safe to eat. I did this with multiple species of flowers and berries while i was camping over the years, and have marked about 30, like i said. However I do live in newfoundland, so the plants could be too specific to where i live for any of you to get any usable info off of it, the general rule that i just talked about applies for most all plants. another way is to just break it open and to see if it has any pungent smell, which then you wouldn't eat it, but that one doesn't apply to all.
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.