[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your favourite way of making a fire?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 14

File: magnifyingglass-fire.jpg (22KB, 360x249px) Image search: [Google]
magnifyingglass-fire.jpg
22KB, 360x249px
What's your favourite way of making a fire?
>>
potassium permanganate & glycerin
>>
If you get good at using firesticks its objectively the best method. Can be done anywhere, with infinite supply, at any time of the day.
Firebow is equally as good but requires more preperation.
If you suck at firesticks, a magnesium flint is good, but they dont last forever.
Magnifying glass is only good in the summer or africa.
Lighter and matches are shit tier.
>>
A jerrycan of gasoline with my 9mm
>>
>>697626
lighter and matches arent tiered, they are marginally different, and there is no circumstance where being proficient with a fire rod means you should not carry a lighter or matches. obviously everyone recognizes fire rod as the single most efficient self-reliance fire kit, but when you are only away from society for a short time, there is no real not to have a lighter on your person
>>
>>697626
wait. what the fuck is a fire stick
>>
>>697628
Well yea but i assume we are talking about being away from society for a long time. If youre only gone for a week a lighter is best, obviously.
>>
>>697629
Have you ever heard of friction fire?
>>
>>697629
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z9n9rqb-lvY
>>
>>697637
oh i thought you were referring to mischmetal. that is definitely not objectively the best, only the most infinite
>>
>>697640
Well if youre really looking for the best method, its a flamethrower. But thats obviously not what OP meant. This is /out/.
>>
>>697652
>If you get good at using firesticks its objectively the best method
>>
>>697654
In the /out/ context, yes.
>>
>>697656
no, not in any context. if you have firesticks and fire rod, and time, you will use the firesticks to preserve your rod, because preserving your actually objectively best fire system is in your best interests
>>
>>697658
What the hell is wrong with you?
>>
>>697622
I like to use matches or a lighter and some charcloth or newsprint paper.
>>
>>697659
you are pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>697669
Do you happen to be on the autistic spectrum?
>>
>>697624
that might land you jailtime here
kalium permanganate can allegedly be used for making drugs or somethin
controlled substance
>>
>>697622
lighter + can of alcoholic deodorant spray
>>
>>697678

that's pretty funny, what country or locality?
>>
Guys, just post your FAVORITE way of lighting a fire and stop bitching.
>>
polyethylene glycol & calcium hypochlorite
>>
>>697682
They make deodorant specifically for alcoholics now? That's stupid.

W-where would I find this?
>>
>>697693
yeah it hides the smell of alcohol so you can still go to work and shit
>>
File: P1-2020web.jpg (7KB, 200x316px) Image search: [Google]
P1-2020web.jpg
7KB, 200x316px
Fire piston
>>
>>697693
i mean the ones that contain alcohol
i'm sure there are alcohol free ones now that's why i added
>>
Peizoelectric gas fireplace. Pushbutton ease.
>>
>>697622
Not making a fire
>>
File: cocktail.jpg (103KB, 922x615px) Image search: [Google]
cocktail.jpg
103KB, 922x615px
>>697622
Anyone else here just loves to watch things burn?
>>
File: 1449633550096.png (126KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1449633550096.png
126KB, 650x650px
>>697626
>actually recommending firesticks

Enjoy your blistered hands and no fire in 90% humidity
>>
>>697626
>chooses the most difficult, unreliable method of fire starting that requires you to find appropriate wood pieces, takes forever, and flat out won't work in humid climates
>calls the most convenient, reliable, and longest lasting method "shit tier"

Protip: "best" doesn't actually mean "worst".
>>
>>697622
lighter.

i dont know what you wanted me to say OP
>>
>>697754
<<me
>>
A bead of water held in a whisker focusing sunlight.
>>
Lint from the dryer, candle wax, oils or fats, anything that will start the fire easy and keep it going until it catches really well. Matches work fine so long as you have some good fire starting materials with you.
>>
By ramming my throbbing fire drill into ye mums fire nest.
>>
File: 2839.jpg (131KB, 1520x1458px) Image search: [Google]
2839.jpg
131KB, 1520x1458px
This is what I prefer.

>>697626
>firesticks

That's not the proper name. The proper name is, "Hand Drill".
>>
File: Consuela1.jpg (12KB, 200x281px) Image search: [Google]
Consuela1.jpg
12KB, 200x281px
>>697622
>What's your favourite way of making a fire?

>Consuela
>CONSUELA, where the fuck are you? start the fucking fire.
>"no. no. I no make fire, misser"
>Punta!
>"no. no, you the punta, misser"

Never take your maid camping. Tensions have been high ever since we have gotten back.
>>
>>697622
I like to get a little bit of charcoal from the last fire put a match to it and then another bit of charcoal and blow for ages.
>>
1 part gas 3 parts diesel
>>
>>698280
>punta
Nope. You're doing it wrong.
http://www.spanishcentral.com/translate/punta
http://www.spanishcentral.com/translate/puta
>>
>>698288
Learn something new everyday on /out/.

Now I won't sound like a retard when I swear in Spanish. Gracias, Mexibro!
>>
>>697626
Fire pistons?
>>
File: BSA_0638.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
BSA_0638.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>697622
pic related followed by magnifying glass
>>
>>697622
Blastmatch, but I haven't used a fire piston yet.
>>
>>697694
But you would still smell it on their breath. I knew a guy who took a bite from a stick of deodorant. Intense burning pain and the skin on the roof of his mouth peeled off.
>>
>>698240
Reddit please leave.
>>
A match or zippo
>>
Matches
>>
>>698265
Stop being a smartass. Theyre firesticks.
>>
>>697754
me. when I was young, I burnt many things , just to watch them burn
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2929x2364px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2929x2364px
>favourite way of making a fire?

Pyramid fire with pine straw and cattail fluff tinder, touched off with a ferro rod.
>>
>>697671

> implying the autistic spectrum is real
>>
> V lay
> Vaseline on cotton or birch underbark
>magnesium shavings
>ferro rod and hacksaw blade
>>
>>699996
Super hard to use, think its based on a new guinea friction isea
>>
>>697678
>kalium permanganat

måske dansk?
>>
>>701198
I know what they are, how are they hard to use?

I know how to make one from wood -using a bow/pump drill with a stone/bone/antler bit (I know, firemaking tools as well).
>>
>>701136
Kid is starting a fire like a boss.
>>
>>701123
Stop being a fucking knuckle-dragging buffoon. It is a hand drill.
>>
>>697622
I've got a Fresnel lense pulled out of a 45" rear projection tv that makes pop cans disappear.
>>
>>697678
Dude, you can make meth out of fucking anything. I had to sign a register to buy a fucking bottle of betadine. I don't even buy sudafed anymore because it makes me feel like a damn criminal.
>>
I like the Dakota fire hike, myself.
>>
>>697678
>tfw in brazil I bought chemicals and giant ass needles in drugstores as a 8 year old kid to make crazy shit and nobody asked questions
Feels gudman. I think the only thing controlled here are crazy pills and some other similar things.
>>
>>698265
I also use a lighter like a Goddam adult.
>>
File: image.jpg (89KB, 838x559px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89KB, 838x559px
Dryer lint. Instead of throwing it away when you clean the filter, put it in a plastic bag and take with you when you go camping

It's super light to carry and takes a flame almost instantly. Really easy way to start a fire, provided you have a means of providing a spark
>>
>>701501
Never thought of this. I usually just get some tinder when I buy firewood and light it with a match or something.
>>
>>701506
>>701506
>buy firewood
>>701506
>when I buy firewood
>>701506
>I buy firewood
>>
>>701509
sry i am not full bushman. The places I go don't allow campers to chop dead trees or anything like that
>>
I usually use my zippo lighter.

Once I went camping with some faggot from this board and some of our non /out/ friends.

>after a day of hiking and swimming we get back to camp
>"come on anon start a fire"
> This autist spends like 10-20 minutes trying to start a fire with a flint and steel
>"come on anon we're cold"
>he still can't do it.

I pretty much went into my tent and grapped my lighter and some lighter fluid and lit the damn thing in seconds, then I cuddled with the qt3.14 grill he was trying to flirt with on the hike.

Just make the fucking fire. You dont get super cool guy points for making the fire the hard way. You aren't a character on lost. You are weak, your bloodline is weak, and you will not survive the winter.
>>
>>701525

>flint and steel
Fuck that's retarded.

>zippo
Not quite as retarded, but still up there. Bic or similar is 10x better than a zippo, absolutely no reason to have a zippo whilst out.

>muh windproof
They aren't that windproof, get a jet lighter if windproof is what you want. Zippos also stink up everything and run dry after a couple of days, not gonna have that problem with a bic.

>muh style
Zippos are the fedoras of lighters.

Bic is where it's at son!
>>
>>701544
Oh i know. I have plenty of bics at home. I just carry thr zippo because stylefag and I've had it for years. Sentimental shit man.
>>
>>701517
>camping where the law matters
>not bringing your own wood that you harvested elsewhere

Do you even go /out/side?
>>
>>701587
>where law matters
I wasn't aware sailing around International Waters was considered camping now.
>>
>>701589
>not part of a somalian pirate ring

why even live?
>>
>>701587
>im going to spend 50+ bucks on gas plus personal time to find logs to cut instead of buying some for about a 10th of the price in minutes just to satisfy some autist on the internet.

Yeah no.
>>
>>701587
Not everyone is fortunate to live in good areas.

I have to drive about 5 hours if i want to get to crown land...
>>
>>697627
I usually just go to Zancudo and steal a jet
>>
Um something that I wanted to try was gasoline mixed with Styrofoam.
>>
>>701774
dont do this it makes mustard gas
>>
>>701905
>mustard gas
improvised napalm
>>
>>701929
mudstard gas
>>
>>697678
this.
i used to have so much fun with KMnO4 mostly in flash powders.
faggots banned it as it's a reagent in cocaine synthetization.
like that 10 g pack would be enough for production..
hungary btw. fucking mongoloid balkan.
>>
>>701905
Not true
>>
>>702020
it was a good bet tho if you read a recipe on 4chan 60-70% it would make poision gas.
>>
>>702020
yea it is
>>
Flammenwerfer
>>
>>697622
Playing my mixtape
>>
>>701123
lol no
>>
File: MOV02576-2.webm (2MB, 426x320px) Image search: [Google]
MOV02576-2.webm
2MB, 426x320px
>>702395
>88 replies
>No mention of road flares
>No mention of calcium carbide
Road flares are my favorite. Strike it off and it'll go fuckhot for 15 minutes, enough to touch off even wet branches.
>>
>>702481
>No mention of road flares

http://youtu.be/MSBbuX2GFcY
>>
>>702481
>be State Trooper
>get literal boxes of nearly-expired road flares whenever I want
Granted, they usually get used long before their expiration date, since we go through them like candy, but I usually take whichever ones slip through the cracks. Just gotta fill out some paperwork, and they're all mine, since they just go to a disposal center anyways.
>>
>>698293
>Mexibro
Lol, you're welcome anon. But... I'm as white as a pile of bones that's been sitting on the beach for a decade. I only knew that one because, when I took Spanish in seventh grade, some of my classmates got in trouble when the teacher pointed at the sharpened tip of a pencil and said 'punta' -- they laughed and promptly got sent to the office. It was funny enough I asked my Hispanic friend Rafael about it, he explained the whole thing and it got even funnier.
>>
>>701247
Favorite. Firestarter. Evar.

Myself, though, I usually just use a Bic lighter. I also have a Zippo, a peanut lighter, a ferro rod, a magnifying glass, a fire piston and some char cloth... but I use the Bic.
>>
>>702363
it werfs flammen
>>
>>701774
I've done it, it was pretty fun but it takes a ton of Styrofoam for even a little bit of gas
>>
>>701209
Anyways..

The only real proper way to start a fire is this..
http://youtu.be/129kuDCQtHs
>>
>>700962
The fuck? I am not from Reddit and I'm pretty fucking sure that I've been putting candle wax into fires since before you were born asshole.
>>
>>701501
I stick it in paper egg cartons and pour paraffin wax over top. You need a match to light it but it works great for getting the big firepit going at scout camp.
>>
>>701587
Don't transport wood, that's how you get pine beetles.
>>
>>697624
This, if you add magnesium powder its even better but you can also use the potassium and glycerine for cleaning wounds and purifying water
>>
>>702481
> still needing a match
I think you missed the point
>>
>>701544
I've had a bic crack in my pocket and release all the butane before. Probs should have taken it out before fucking around in the lake. Good thing I actually banked my coals or we would've been out of luck for dinner that night. My dumb ass never brought a backup source of fire.
>>
>>703974
This anon knows what's up.
>>
I don't have one because I'm not some pussy that can't go a night without a fire.
>>
>>704364
What a manly way of saying you dont know how to make a fire
>>
So many missing the point of FAVORITE way to make fire, not BEST way to make fire. I like flint and steel personally.
>>
>>704385
i like white phosphorus
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 736x552px
>firesteel for when It's damp or raining
>flint and steel for when It's dry
>>
Tortilla chips
>>
>>704382
wrekt

personally i prefer using propellants
>>
>>702350
I'd have been dead years ago
>>
>>704938
Omae wa mo shindeiru
>>
>>697622

Bic lighter.

Zippo when I feel like roleplaying a Green Beret in Vietnam
>>
Worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxfDZMunsYg
>>
>>705015
>poor mans napalm to start a fire
genius
>>
>>697629
It's a big Jolly Rancher that's Cinnamon flavored.
>>
>>700009
Wow, I still have one of those, it must be 30 years old.
>>
File: hand drills.png (2MB, 1235x929px) Image search: [Google]
hand drills.png
2MB, 1235x929px
>>697626
>>701123
>firesticks

No such thing. It is called, "Hand Drill". It also happens to be the #1 white people method for making fire without modern tools. Everyone else has common sense and uses one of the other easier methods to make fire without modern tools.
>>
File: torchhead.jpg (11KB, 217x194px) Image search: [Google]
torchhead.jpg
11KB, 217x194px
Me and my buddies have bi weekly bonfires in one of our friends orchards. Its a heckin good time but last time our wood was wet and took forever to light. I'v been thinking in investing in a small butane torch like pic related. Are they worth it? Best ones?
Thread posts: 120
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.