[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: 20160222_132028.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160222_132028.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Do you guys work in /out/ fields? Or do you just enjoy the recreational bit every once in a while?
Me personally, I work in reindeer husbandry in Norway and I love it more than anything in the world, it takes me /out/ everyday (almost) and it's real, hardwork.
Would you guys want an /out/ job?
>>
>>696166
Land surveyor here.
>>
>>696166
How did you get the job like that? I also live in Norway (immigrantfag) and would like to change for something out related bcs outdoors here beats everything.
>>
>>696225
Oh, well my family has always been in reindeer husbandry so I just inherited my own reindeer. I suppose you can ask the smaller "siidaer" if you can help, many "siidas" need help around the year
>>
>>696241
You're Sami?
>>
>>696166
Samejævel
>>
>>696313
Yes
>>696316
>>>/pol/
Sjosamene er verst, skjonner du
>>
>>696171
This is something I'm interested in. What kind of education do you recommend?
>>
Home Depot employee here
go /out/doors when I can
>>
File: IMAG0227.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0227.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>696166

Geophysicist here. Spent the past few years working in mineral exploration, now doing a PhD because of the global metals downturn.

Always working outdoors when surveying. Doing a lot more office work now that I'm at uni. Pic related is from my recent fieldwork in Western Tasmania.
>>
>>696166
You are the husband of reindeer? This is a job?

Like a stay at home trophy wife? Do you ever have to put out??
>>
>>696225
fuck off we're full
>>
chemical oceanographer here, studying coastal aquatic pollution.
>>
File: 1418233694321.png (211KB, 447x340px) Image search: [Google]
1418233694321.png
211KB, 447x340px
jag vill flytta till norge vad för jobb ska jag söka din lappjävel? :)
>>
Not the most /out/ related but I used to work for a lumber company as a sawyer. Just sawing and milling lumber all day.
I had a work shop to myself in the back of this big yard. I loved coming in every morning, sliding open the big doors to let the air through and sun in as the smell of sawdust came rushing out. Or just sitting outside of those doors to sharpen a saw blade or eat my lunch. When I had downtime I used to make toolboxes or birdhouses out of scrap to put around the shop. It was just so peaceful, just me and the job ahead with sunshine as my company.
>>
>>700414
I'm taking a chemical oceanography class right now. How do you memorize all the trace element, sea-salt components, etc distributions/ concentrations? haha
I'm taking it for my last semester for marine biology, I plan on in getting a masters in aquaculture. How do you like your job?
>>
Wildlife Technician (Biologist some day!) here. Just picked up a gig doing radio tracking for bats. Gonna be working /out/ for the next two months at least.
>>
>>700446
Your fucking terrible at Spanish.
>>
>>700386
Shiiiit. That sounds amazing. I'm an applied math major right now, but I'm almost 90% certain that I'm getting the fuck out of there, because it sucks.

How's the job market? Is a bachelors good enough for entry level jobs, or is it a graduate degree dominated field?
>>
I'm ig right now but fuck I was a mechanic with an infantry unit, I ended up outside for 5 day stretches every week a year or so ago. No, nothing interesting is happening/happened outside of explodey bits safely away from your patrol vehicle.

Would like a forestry job, something calm where I can work outside, like forest ranger maybe.
>>
>>701097

The job market is terrible right now. You might be lucky and score a job at the absolute bottom with a geophysical survey company, but that'd translate to pay and conditions you're probably not keen on. This is what I did after graduating with a BSc Hons in 2012, though admittedly the industry was doing better then.

It's a very unstable industry to get into man. Honestly would recommend against getting into it if stability is your thing. I don't really care and do it for the love.
>>
>>701201
Hmm. Sounds shitty but awesome at the same time. I did some reading and it seems like grad school is definitely the way to go, but getting paid to travel, /out/, and get an education would be pretty awesome.

I always liked earth science, but never gave it a serious thought until now.

I'm at a pretty well respected engineering university, and they offer a Geo degree with 3 different emphases.

How was / is grad school though? I could honestly see myself doing this if I could manage to pull a decent living wage. I think I'd like doing petroleum, but given the current state of petrol and the "toxic" work environment, I'm not sure.

I wouldn't mind having to move to Texas or Arizona, but I don't necessarily want to hop trains and constantly keep moving. Travel doesn't bother me though.
>>
>>701801

Don't really know what you mean by 'grad school' mate. If you mean study past a bachelors degree, then yes, definitely do it.

Most graduates in the mineral exploration industry, whether geologists or geophysicists, have at least a bachelors degree with honours. Masters would put you in the top half of graduates I'd assume.

My understanding of oil and gas is that geoscientists in that industry are almost exclusively indoors and do very little fieldwork. This is in stark contrast to hard-rock mineral exploration, which is why I ended up in the latter.
>>
>>701822
Interesting. I'll definitely look into mineral exploration. I've also been looking at Geochemistry. Do you have any advice or wise words for geochem or for geology in general?
>>
Used to work on ski resorts. Miss it dreadfully.
>>
>>696166
I am a fisheries biologist in the midwest USA. I spend most of my days motoring around on a lake. I have a masters degree and am currently researching a topic that l may try to do my Ph.D. on.
>>
>>701834

Geochem is an important field of geology. Exploration geologists use it regularly as a tool to better understand a given geological environment.

One of the companies I worked for sampled drill core at 1m intervals down the drill hole for the full element suit. Geochemical data like this was invaluable when it came to understanding what metamorphic processes had altered the chemistry of the target, and thereby improve the exploration model.
>>
Anyone have experience working with the Student Conservation Association? They're offering me a position doing riparian restoration in the Grand Canyon for the next year and I'm considering accepting the offer. I'm a former AmeriCorps grad already (Montana Conservation Corps) so I'm familiar with how the system works, but the SCA and Grand Canyon would be new to me.

Anyone worked here? I already know it's going to be stupidly hot, but what other things should I keep in mind if I accept the position? Is it worth going for overall?
>>
>>701076
Qué?
>>
>>701848
thats tight as fuck
>>
>>702201
The GC is stupidly hot, yeah- I did a 3-day trip in there in June, it cleared 120 degrees at the bottom of the canyon (a slow hike too, a member of our group was a single-leg amputee). Sit in all the water you can at the bottom. A beautiful place though, absolutely stunning. I haven't met a single person who regretted going in though, as long as you're smart you'll be fine. I'd say go for it as long as you can deal with the temperatures, and seeing a lot of asian people and stupid tourists.
>>
>>703143
Thanks, its pretty much a dream job for me
>>
>>696166
I'm in the army at GSV in Finnmark. How do you deal with the cold?
>>
>>696166
Trying to get into hortic7ulture, have an interview for an apprenticeship with a local council on Monday desu.
>>
Im in the army so get a lot of /out/ action at work.
>>
>>702201
When did you do MCC?
>>
>>703540
2011 and 2012. I'm one of the few to have done both youth crew and adult crew. You?

>>703144
Thanks for the heads-up. I sort of figured that might be the consensus.
>>
>>703538
Where are you from?
>>
medstudent here , I enjoy having time /out/. Relaxing from all white concrete, grumpy professors ,operation rooms, exams and bitchy patients (sorry ,but sometimes they are).
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.