[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hatchet or small axe?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 32

Hatchet or small axe?
>>
tomahawk
>>
Small axe. A small head on a long shaft gives a good balance between weight and functionality.

>>695436
Don't listen to this guy. Tomahawk is okay but they don't have the edge geometry for splitting and so make a poor replacement for an axe.
>>
>>695435
hatchet is what they call small axes
>>
>>695435

Hatchet is as useless as big knife.

Axe and small knife is best
>>
>>695477
>Hatchet is as useless as big knife.
i beg to differ
hatchet is the best compromise when you carry it just in case
>>
>>695476

So much misinformation.

General distinction:

Hatchet - ONE hand use
Axe - ONE or TWO handed use

Small axe, therefore denotes:

Small = size/weight of head
Axe = shaft long enough to use with one or two hands

Personally I like something like OPs pic as it weighs marginally more than a hatchet but you can use two handed to generate more power.

Also, longer shaft = safer axe.
>>
For most uses:

Small axe > big knife > hatchet

Other situations:

big knife > small axe > hatchet
>>
Folding saw
>>
>>695491
>but you can use two handed to generate more power
i can't tell if you are joking or not
>longer shaft = safer axe
you must be joking wtf
>>
>>695477
This weekend I used the butt of my eastwing hatchet to smash a hole in 6" of ice over a river. I could have melted snow or chipped the hole with a knife, but the hatchet was a superior tool for the job and I don't regret carrying it.
>>
I can't really think of any uses for a hatchet over an axe.
>>
>>695538
>you must be joking wtf

That's actually a generally acknowledged fact.
>>
>>695548
well my personal experience is the opposite
shorter the shaft easier to control
also shorter the shaft less likely that huge pieces of wood will be flying around and hitting people
i'm talking about 5lbs pieces or bigger
>>
>>695538
confirmed basement dweller.

OF COURSE a longer shaft is safer. Safe hatchet practice is to kneel when using it, when standing a short shaft means any deflection is coming straight for your body. A longer shaft means it'll connect with the ground before it reaches your foot/leg/thigh.

>>695548
based anon agrees.
>>
Requesting a hatchet that looks like the one in the OP pic of this thread >>693035

Bearded head, wood handle, short overall length.
>>
File: axe.jpg (706KB, 1126x2063px) Image search: [Google]
axe.jpg
706KB, 1126x2063px
>>695613
>>
>>695538
Have you ever used an axe?
>>
File: IMG_0976.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0976.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>695435
Depends.

I agree that longer handle = safer axe

That being said, I carry one of the three pictured depending on where I'm going (terrain, type of trees/brush, etc...) and whether I'm packing everything in or motorcycling in.

A small axe is more useful for larger timber, obviously.
Hatchets are great as a lightweight multipurpose tool that pair well with a folding saw and can replace a knife.
>>
>>695617
IAMAHIPSTER, the poast
>>
>>695647
It's not mine, you dong. I was just trying to help.
>>
Depends on what you want to cut

Kindling and small slithers of wood? Hatchet will do. Branches and smallish tree limbs work with a hatchet too.

Anything bigger and an axe is much better. You really don't need to cut big stuff in a camping/hiking situation, though. An axe is more of a carpentry tool for making shit.
>>
>Building long-term shelter
Small Axe

>Splitting big wood
Small axe

>Woodworking (carving)
Hatchet

>Quartering game
Hatchet

>Weight
Hatchet

>Making a large pile of fire wood
Small Axe

>Making a small pile of firewood
Hatchet

>Sharpening
Hatchet

It fucking depends, faggot. But a hatchet will do for everything save for chopping down trees, making a cabin, and creating a woodpile to last you through the winter.
>>
File: agree-720x930.png (198KB, 720x930px) Image search: [Google]
agree-720x930.png
198KB, 720x930px
>>695656
>>695658
these.
>>
>>695658

You forgot
>individual use
Hatchet

An axe is too much for one camper IMO
>>
File: IMG_20151223_135320.jpg (827KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151223_135320.jpg
827KB, 2048x1536px
> obvious answer is obvious
>>
File: 117a593.jpg (82KB, 934x545px) Image search: [Google]
117a593.jpg
82KB, 934x545px
>>695673
>polymer handle
not even once.

but the X7 is probably the best option for those who can't spend more than $25
>>
>>695627
never tried to take fillets of fish using an axe
>>
>>695627

What is that sex in the middle?
>>
>>695678
> tired broken meme
Just trolled in one post.
>>
>>695688
H&B Forge
>>
>>695550
I've never once seen a 5lb piece of wood go FLYING when splitting wood...that's a huge damn piece of wood to just jump and hit someone.
>>
>>695767
when i split wood it flies all around.
i know my technique is bad so u just use brute force.
cut right thru knots and all.
one huge piece actually hit an old dudes shin he was staying meters away to the side.
>>
>>695678
i bought it for like $20.
also saw the destruction vid made by a russian dude.
i'm convinced i will not break it man. he really really tried to fuck it up and barely managed.
>>
>>695550
That's probably just your utter lack of skill and knowledge of proper axe use. It doesn't matter how much you think you can control the shaft accidents happen and you might not be paying attention and that short handle is going to be a regret when that happens
>>
>>695477

Fuck off fag, you clearly don't know shit.
>>
>>695939
if you have an axe in your hand and you are not paying attention you deserve it all.
i never had trouble with hatchets even tho i'? a general disaster can't really see what can go wrong if you are mindful of angles and trajectories.
i admit i don't know how to work with big axes and splitters. one handed work is more comfortable and more controlled for me.
>>
>>695435
Folding saw
>>
>>695678
> not even
> best option

Hypocrit detected. Opinion discarded.
>>
>>695972
Deflections.

You can argue all day that you're vigilant blah blah, it's the same as wearing a seatbelt when you're in a car - YOU might be a good driver but a situation outside of your control might result in a crash.
>>
>>695435
Family played Voyageur in MN when I was a kid.
We took a small axe, I think it was a Hudson Bay pattern.
Just the right size.
>>
File: clonked-my-bonkers-gorilla.jpg (41KB, 382x384px) Image search: [Google]
clonked-my-bonkers-gorilla.jpg
41KB, 382x384px
>>695541
>eastwing
>>
Got one of these on clearance. Takes and holds an edge well. Works great for light duty. Came with a holster. Weight is ok, for its size. Mixed reviews on Amazon. People seem to think this is thing should split logs.
>>
>>696163
deflections don't randomly happen anon.
before every strike you take account where the blade can go and get your leg out of the way.

i just usually cut away from myself, you can actually do that with a hatchet, i also like to choke up on the head and simply push it through the wood when splitting much safer than whacking it.
>>
>>696284
I have some UST knives. Functional,not bad, not great. I wouldn't hesitate to grab that hatchet for the right price.
>>
>>696284
there is little other use for an axe other than processing large wood
>>
File: 1451359399020.gif (2MB, 415x212px) Image search: [Google]
1451359399020.gif
2MB, 415x212px
>>695477
>>
>>696284
Got given this for my birthday, expected it to be shit and fail with the first use... three years later and it's still working like a champ, I want to hate it but it's not letting me, I fucking hate it when reality gets in the way of what I think should happen.
>>
File: IMG_7546.jpg (807KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7546.jpg
807KB, 1024x768px
There's so few options out there with the same (or similar) specs to the Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe as in OP picture

Thinking of getting a condor woodworker axe. Same weight 1.5lb head with about the same length handle

I was gonna get the husqvarna carpenters axe but its head is a full pound heavier... seems overkill
>>
File: 31URv1qyuJL.jpg (8KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
31URv1qyuJL.jpg
8KB, 350x350px
I got one of these husqvarna hatchets and I love it. It's great, quality metal and works for all my backpacking in New Hampshire.
>>
So the consensus is:

Going out innawoods for a month? Collecting firewood for your cabin, for the entire winter? Need to set up a study, permanent woodland shelter from trees you've cut down? Bring your axe.

Going out innawoods and cutting kindling, maybe building a lean-to, possibly quartering meat? Going camping, essentially? Bring your hatchet.

I would think the hatchet would do most people just fine, why would you lug an axe anyways, unless you were planning to go innawoods and not come out.
>>
>>696452
>why would you lug an axe anyways
when the job takes way too long with a hatchet you bring an axe can't be more simple.
felling trees chopping them up for firewood is not a hatchets job.
>>
>>696621
I understand that, but if you're felling a tree and cutting it up, letting the wood season and dry, you're not really camping, more like home steading. In that case you're not really "bringing" the axe, it's right there where your permanent home is, right?
>>
>>696333
I've got one of these, it's great around camp.
>>
Recently got a Marbles camp Axe, lent it to my brother for a week and he damaged it to a point where i dont feel comfortable using it.

He kept over swinging and when he pounded stakes into the ground he held it sideways.

It's honestly going to be easier to just buy a new one.
>>
>>696311
I'm not going to call you stupid but you DO know that those are used for small wood, right?
>>
>>696304
Car crashes don't happen randomly either but they do no matter how safe both parties think they are. Accidents happen no matter how safe you (think you) are, even if you take precise calculations to the milimeter you will eventually cut yourself.
>>
>>696692
processing small wood is a redundant task that rarely happens and can be left to your hands or knife if necessary
>>
>>696636
that's why i never bring an axe to hike or camp...
doesn't mean nobody will ever need to.

a carpenters axe with a handle around arms length is a pretty versatile single tool many outist carry something like that.
>>
>>696715
you won't do shit with arms thick green wood barehanded (something the hatchet easily overcomes) and takes forever with a knife.

if you have deadfall and it suits your purpose sure could work. i think it's pretty situational better to have a hatchet gives you more options.

if you really really have to you can even fell a tree with a hatchet something you will be hard put to do without. you would need to resort to controlled burn or something like that.
>>
>>696721
my argument isnt against hatchets, its against the justification of a small hatchet over a full sized axe. he said people seem to think his small hatchet should be used for splitting logs and gave it poor reviews because it couldnt. i see the truth as an axe should be able to split wood, and small hatchets that are unable to do so are a redundancy to your bushknife. not that redundancies are bad, but only if you consciously call them redundancies, and not a separate and marginally useful item itself
>>
Hatchets are made for one-handed use and tend to be smaller and more portable. I think I'd go with something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqPQvGOmAbQ

Now I wouldn't want an axe or hatchet for smaller, redundant tasks like splitting wood. I'd prob go with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdobRSt2bcI

Needless to say I wouldn't buy these off of Buck's website given you can get them through other retailers for much cheaper.
>>
>>696728
>take a froe
it's not any better than those retarded big batoning knives
except it doesn't have a tip and looks stupid
>>
>>695617
SKYRIM BELONGS TO THE NORDS
>>
File: AXEN.jpg (174KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
AXEN.jpg
174KB, 960x720px
A HATCHET MADE ENTIRELY OF METAL IS THE SUPERIOR CHOICE.

IT WILL LAST LONGER THAN YOU WILL LIVE.

IT CAN BE USED AS A PIPE, A HAMMER AND MORE.
>>
>>698875
my arm hurts just looking at that abomination
>>
>>698880
HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE A WOMAN
>>
>>698890
pretty good actually
>>
>>698875
>USED AS A PIPE
Please explain how I can smoke out of an all metal hatchet?
>>
>>698928
THE INSIDE OF THE HANDLE IS HOLLOW AND YOU CAN SEE OUT THE OTHER END, THROUGH THE BLADE HEAD
>>
toast
>>
File: norsehawk.png (587KB, 515x598px) Image search: [Google]
norsehawk.png
587KB, 515x598px
>>695435
>>
>>696729

Yes but it's the safest means of splitting wood.

>>699708

Hawks look superficially like axes but do NOT have the same cutting geometry.
>>
>>699787
nah, froes are used for making plank, that is why they have the L shape to give you more control over the direction of cutting/splitting, this "froe" is just almost useless in this regard.

if you just have to split wood for fire you don't care about nice split you are not making furniture you just want to make progress.

axes are better for general outdoors tasks.
>>
File: mfw.png (5KB, 260x196px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
5KB, 260x196px
I've been debating between the GFB small forest axe and the wildlife hatchet.

I'm so tempted to go with the hatchet just to pair with a silky gomboy 240. With those two and a mora, I have a feeling that I could do a lot of work, with a lighter kit.

But then I think about preparing serious firewood. Living in the midwest, we don't have horrible winters, but they can get cold at times.

My thought process is to cut ~4" diameter trees with a saw, and split them with the hatchet into fine kindling. From there, I would just use leverage between two trees to break dead fallen trees into manageable size firewood. "You're not making furniture, you're making firewood."

Help me sc/out/s
Is a hatchet and a folding saw a more ideal combo?
>>
>>695658
I mostly agree but I felled and quartered a 8in diameter tree yesterday with my hatchet. The thickest section took maybe 5 minutes to work through
>>
>>699855

Well, you can certainly do any task that one is capable of with either implement, but I was more think about about in terms of weight, maneuverability and caloric expenditure.
>>
>>695767

You must not split much wood, I've had everything go flying from pieces of wood to axe heads. I once had a splitting wedge fly back and break my nose. Now I realize why splitting mauls are superior.
>>
File: 20150924_192500.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150924_192500.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
I have a Husqvarna Forest Axe. It's a 26 in handle and a 2 pound head, I believe. I love it. It's a lot cheaper than a Gransfors, but damn near exactly the same materials and made the same way. I think it's a great all around axe, because I can get up on the handle and use it for more precise work, but also I've taken down trees with it. It's my go to all-purpose axe.
>>
File: 20150928_183228~01.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150928_183228~01.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>700104
Here's more of an action shot.
>>
File: i-approve-of-this-post.jpg (200KB, 600x542px) Image search: [Google]
i-approve-of-this-post.jpg
200KB, 600x542px
>>700104
>>700109
although it's larger than I like for one handed fine work, this is an excellent axe... For the price, it's an unbeatable axe.
>>
Is a gransfors axe really worth 250? I was thinking of getting buying one because of the rave reviews, but the husqvarna axe I use every other day hasn't let me down in two years, so it seems superfluous.
>>
>>696404
That won't make a good camp axe the straight edge is best for woodworking, not splitting and chopping
>>
>>700494
doesn't matter that much
fiskers is straight as a ruler and works just fine
>>
>>699838
Get a hatchet, if you aren't able to split logs you can always make a wooden wedge and hammer it with the poll of the axe
>>
>>700109
fapfapfapfap
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Been using both for years.
Even have Tomahawk.

I have the full size mid-size fiskars and while it has served me well as a complimentary piece to my chainsaw work, it's pretty bulky to hike with.

The Tomahawk is great to throw for fun and even light bushcraft, but a true hatchet, with a flat steel back also serve as a hammer for driving stakes, etc.

My next one will be fiskars hatchet
>fiskars hatchet is superior
>light
>strong
>sheath
>as deadly as tomahawk
>can spilt much larger prices of wood and branches.

Pix related 1/2
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>700853
2/2

Hatchet can handle small stuff and punch above its weight if needed.
>>
File: 1446255759719.jpg (702KB, 5028x3992px) Image search: [Google]
1446255759719.jpg
702KB, 5028x3992px
i think i might be a pussy but should i be wearing gloves for an hour of hatchet/tomahawk work????
i have mad blisters
>>
>>700853
>My next one will be fiskars hatchet
they also fit in a smallish handbag or packpack.
>>
So what's the consensus?

I'm debating between an x7 and x11.
>>
>>701116
Man the fuck up, your hands will roughen up and wont blister as much after using tools without gloves
>>
I've heard only good things ( it holds up MUCH BETTER than FIskar's, etc. ) about Morakniv's light axe ( pic related ) but have no experience with it myself. Would love to hear from any anon's with experience with said axe.
>>
>>695470

Re profile the edge, works just fine. Fuck off non experienced faggot.
>>
>>702477
yeah i heard they are good but damn they look stupid
>>
File: estwing 16 inch.jpg (6KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
estwing 16 inch.jpg
6KB, 355x355px
I'm thinking about getting this. Estwing seems to have a really good reputation.
>>
>>702663
can't go wrong with that brah. either that or vaughan
>>
>>702666
Any real differences between the two?
>>
>>702495
>Fuck off non experienced faggot.

You can re-profile the edge all you want, the bit still isn't profiled to be a good splitter, something with a bit that thin is far more likely to bury itself to the poll without actually splitting the wood, so if you enjoy unbinding your axe all day then use your Tomahawk as your primary splitter, otherwise use the right tool.
>>
>>702681
this
basics are thin bit cuts deep wide bit splits well, problem with hawks is they don't cut deep cause they are too light.
but fiskers has a thin splitting profile and it cuts just fine in a competition between brands and types it does not do bad at all. in return it requires frequent sharpening.
>>
>>702669
both look heavy as fuck
>>701966
x11 more like a camp axe x7 is better for hiking or just in case. i have bought an x7 and really like it so far. only cut and split arm thick semi seasoned wood with it so don't know how it does felling a tree.
>>
>>696416
How good is this for splitting average sized logs for tinder? I'd just grab an axe, but want to keep the weight down. But I've also heard great things about these.
>>
>>695435
Depends on what you're using it for. If your answer is processing firewood, you don't get out enough.
>>
>>695435
halberd
>>
>>695538
>but you can use two handed to generate more power

Yes because it is commonly known that longer lever arms make work easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5W6r5U7yBE

1:34
>>
>>695564
>when standing a short shaft means any deflection is coming straight for your body
there is no help for you retard.
i never sat or knelt on the ground yet the hatchet never came close to my body or legs ever.
>>
>>703455
ray mears is either a gigantic faggot or thinks those he made the video for are.
>>
>>703486
He may be a gigantic faggot, but if you watch some of his bushcraft series, there's bound to be something that you learn.
>>
File: terminology.jpg (59KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
terminology.jpg
59KB, 600x450px
Small axe > hatchet > kukri
>>
>>703515
I done fucked up.

Small axe > kukri > hatchet
>>
>>702477
Probably okay but you will have to make wedges since it isnt much of a splitter
>>
>>703518
nah you got it right the first time
>>
File: 20150912_103913.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150912_103913.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>700104
>>700109
>>703515
Me again with the Forest Axe. I do also love my kukri. It's just so versatile. But I would never wanna try to take down a tree with it.
>>
File: KH.jpg (533KB, 2667x833px) Image search: [Google]
KH.jpg
533KB, 2667x833px
>>704882
I've got a pretty similar design to you, I alternate between that and my hatchet.
>>
>>702663
I've never had an axe from them but the geo hammer I had was top notch.
>>
>>704882
>>704983
Can I ask where you got your Kukri from? Would also be interested to know how you believe they've held up/if you thought the quality was good,
>>
File: khkuk.png (2MB, 1142x580px) Image search: [Google]
khkuk.png
2MB, 1142x580px
>>705106
Kukri House. I've had mine for 18 months, the quality in terms of finish was low but no less than I expected seeing as I bought it for the same price as an Ontario Bushcraft made of the same steel but about 1/4 the size.
In terms of design and construction, you're never going to break one of these things but by the same token don't buy one expecting it to be a machete, they're much closer to a knife like axe, thick with a wide convex grind. I've tried mine out with full blooded swings into dry Salmon gum(15.5kn Janka hardness, harder than most Ironbarks) across the grain like you would with an axe if you were a masochist, you get a little more jarring than you would with a hatchet but no damage to the knife other than a little edge rolling and it's a really effective splitter, especially for dry woods.

Overall, would buy again, lots of fun to muck around with, useful if you want your hatchet to be able to do some knifey tasks like drawknifing or if you want your knife to do axey tasks like hammering in pegs etc
>>
>>702689
i have the x7.. dont fell trees with it, it can do it, but its slow.
>>
File: fiskarsx5.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
fiskarsx5.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>695435
I have this and it's awesome.
>>
File: mu axe.jpg (11KB, 206x274px) Image search: [Google]
mu axe.jpg
11KB, 206x274px
this
>>
I've never come across something called "Small Axe" but my local backpacking/camping sporting goods store carries some smaller axes. One is called a Hunting Axe and the other is called a Splitting axe. What's the difference? They both way about the same and are about the same size. The Splitting axe though has a rubber collar and the Hunting axe as a more ergonomic handle. I'm thinking of buying the Hunting Axe and making a homemade leather collar. Thoughts?
>>
File: image.jpg (128KB, 640x804px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128KB, 640x804px
>>695435
hatchet

Got this one about 2 months ago. Great for innawoods. Excellent balance, so far used for small to medium wood chopping, and kindling. I like the orange on it, makes it very easy to see and find if you misplace it or set it down. It's sheathed in this pic. Fiskers x7
>>
>>709356
mein neger
>>
>>709344
if you're talking about gränsfors/wetterlings then you should get the hunting axe for general /out/ism purposes because the splitting axe won't chop as well
>>
File: wrong.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
>>696715
>muh batonning
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.