[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

City boy here w-w-what should I be choosing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 310
Thread images: 13

File: 1455971444512.jpg (74KB, 700x767px) Image search: [Google]
1455971444512.jpg
74KB, 700x767px
City boy here

w-w-what should I be choosing?
>>
>>692456
Matches - To make fire for warmth, to cook food, to boil water
The Pot - To cook food and boil water in
Tarp - For shelter, rainwater collection
First aid kit - Just in case

Everything else seems kind of pointless
>>
>>692456
5 ounces of weed
Wilson
Vitamins
and a Hammock because those fuckers can be a pain in the ass to make yourself.
But I want 5 ounces of pot that has seeds. I don't want just male plants.

Everything else I can make or make due without.
>>
>>692456
fishing pole (I'm assuming this is magical and always has a hook on the end of the line), if not I'll go w/ the Mora so I can make spears. Also you can set up a rock trap for fish so, forget the pole, I want the knife.
tarp
hammock
pot, cooking pot that is.
>>
>>692456
1) the first aid kit is like a hundred items wtf
2) pot (this alone can save your life)
3) knife
4) fishing rod (assuming it has line and hooks otherwise useless)
5) boots
6) sunscreen
7) tarp
8) inflatable raft
9) hammock
10) flare gun
11) rifle
12) vitamins

rest is bullshit
>>
pot, pot, knife, tarp. also im assuming deserted island = tropical
>>
>>692463
>Also you can set up a rock trap for fish so,
have you ever been to the sea?
whatever you set up will be gone in 5 minutes
>>
File: EdBlueSky.jpg (12KB, 640x341px)
EdBlueSky.jpg
12KB, 640x341px
>>692456

Tent
Inflatable Raft
Weed
Weed
>>
I love how no one has said toilet paper yet.
gotta love the crusty fuckers
>>
>>692470
>im assuming deserted island = tropical
i think we all
>>692456
basically for a city boy without the boots and the sunscreen (it will run out but you will get a tan and or make hat/clothes by then) your mobility will be ridiculous. (assuming you are not a negro or really tan and get shore bare-feet)

you can only come out for a couple of minutes from cover when the sun is going down or comes up. otherwise you will be fried roasty in a matter of minutes. the hot sand or the jungle floor or sharp rocks will equally fuck your feet up.

nobody should ever go anywhere without a knife so that is also a given.

last item is a real problem the first aid kit the pot and the matches are equally important, but assuming you can make friction fire and won't get injured you will still likely die without a pot.
>>
>>692472
I live 5 minutes from the Atlantic ocean. The tidal flow is what makes this work effectively.
I'm talking about larger rocks than you're thinking.
>>
>>692477
Dip ass in sea, scrub-a-dub, dip again, rinse
>>
>>692478
if you can make a hat you can make some sandals.
islands tend to have sea shells that can be turned into a knife if a good set of rocks isn't available.
dirt is a good sunscreen and helps clot blood and take shit from your ass. salt water is really good for cleaning out infections but causes faster healing which will leave bad scarring.
there's bound to be dirt that has clay deposits and you can turn the clay into a pot.

But being by the sea, if you don't have lots of vitamin c then your ass is gonna get scurvy and good luck finding a pot dealer out there. eating or smoking pot will help you get to sleep and keep your mind from flipping the fuck out when the hot days add up.
>>
>>692490
yeah but salt water will cause your skin to dry out and get sun burnt faster. better off using sand and leaves.
>>
Water purifier
Tarp
Hunting rifle assuming it comes with ammo
Pot
>>
>>692477
because basic survival stuff like drinkable water and getting food is a bit higher priority than wiping your butt
>>
>>692497
yeah man, thats why i said i love it. that wasn't sarcasm.
>>
>bringing the tarp
>not bringing the tent

/out/ is certified neck beard basement dwellers.

Tarp is fine till night fall when the mosquitos come out and eat you alive.

The tent is quick easy mosquito free shelter.

Morons all of you.
>>
>>692491
>if you can make a hat you can make some sandals.
not the same, sandals that will last are a lot harder if not impossible to make without leather of some sorts.
>dirt is a good sunscreen
yeah, well sand will chafe your skin off like sandpaper so you really need some sort of clay and it flakes off fast when it dries.
>>692507
tarp is more multi-functional and tent on pic doesn't look weather worthy. but it does keep out bugs better so yeah that is a consideration.
>>
>>692507
Just build fires around you. Sit in the middle.
>>
>>692533
What could possibly go wrong
>>
>>692456
You only need 1
>It's the knife
>>
>>692507
You can also catch drinkable rainwater with tarp

Having water is a bit more important than not getting mosquito bites
>>
>>692456
knife
matches
insect repellent
weed
>>
>>692456
Vollyball
Mirror
Vitamins
>>
Knife - duh.
Mirror - quick way to make fire.
Tarp - can either use it as a cover above the hammock or, more likely, a means to collect fresh water.
Hammock - hard to make, can sleep above ground level.
>>
>>692507
tarp has more uses.
can catch rainwater
can shelter from weather
can be used to desalinate sea water
can be a snare for fish or animals
Those are the 4 biggies.

Now having seen Gilligan's Island once or twice in my life I know:
There weren't any mosquitoes
I'll be able to build a hut
I'll have coconuts to build radios, computers, and generators.
>>
>>692566
>Mirror - quick way to make fire.
nope unless it's parabolic it's worthless
>Hammock - hard to make, can sleep above ground level.
for the 4-5 days you die of dehydration if it doesn't rain you will be comfy.
>>
>>692573
>die of dehydration if it doesn't rain
The more you know...
>>
>>692576
>doesn't fucking work with a tarp
the more you know
tarp doesn't let light pass thru it's not cold but hot, so water drops don't from on it.
>>
>not choosing the knife first every time

bonkers desu. a non-serrated blade is absolutely necessary. then rope
>>
>>692579
>doesn't work as well as clear but definitely works
ftfy

not understanding evaporation/condensation
>>
>>692576
>thinks he is gonna get two bowls with his see-thru tarp
>>
>>692586
imo it only works if you boil it under or use the morning chill and you still need a canteen at least to collect it.
>>
>>692588
>still need a canteen
my item #4 was a pot
>>
>>692591
and a coconut, of course
Or other gourd
>>
i'm gonna go
>pot
>knife
and two of the following four
>water purifier
>rifle
>first aid kit
>fishing rod

depending on if the water purifier is also does desalination (and if so how long the membranes will last), how much ammo comes with the rifle, what's in the first aid kit, and how much monofilament comes with the fishing rod

any or all of those four are potentially useless (or close to useless) depending on specifics

if those all end up sucking, i'll take a rope and a tent along with pot/knife
>>
>>692591
i have no idea who is who but the guy i said it to had no pot but a mirror.
>>
>>692456
Why not use tent in place of the tarp? It can do everything the tarp does plus it adds a better shelter. Also can use the poles, stakes and rain fly for many more uses.

So for me I'm going knife, pot, tent and fishing pole.
>>
>>692602
tent will wear off in a year tho so it's really useless long term.
if i wanted to be comfy for a couple of weeks i agree tho. fuck bugs!
>>
In order of importance: Pot, knife, matches, tent/fishing pole depending on your skills.
Assuming you had no other gear and the island is relatively large you could very easily make simple sandals and other clothing out of natural cordage to keep the elements from fucking you up.
That's also assuming you had knowledge of primitive weaving and cordage making, which is easy to find on the internet and pretty simple to figure out through trial and error as well.
The single most important tool at your disposal would be the pot; water sterilisation and desalination, cooking and storage, no other item is as important to your survival. You might get lucky and find clay, which would let you make earthenware, but that is a gamble you can't rely on.
The only problem in all of this is finding food, but natural cordage and a diy hook will at the least allow you to make a drop line which is very useful for fishing if your locale is rocky and populated with fish that will bite on anything.
Bait could be as simple as anything you can scrounge up from the tidepools with a little knowledge and trial and error. you would still be very malnourished but it would keep you going long enough to find other food sources.
Droplines are also as simple as throwing the line out and checking on it every so often for fish. You will fail a lot with handmade hooks, and the hook off the fishing pole would be a great asset.
Really though you're likely to die of vitamin deficiency or loneliness even if you have good wilderness skills.
>>
>>692604
The bottom of a tent is basically made from a tarp.

I don't see how the tarp lasts any longer than the tent. Besides when the tarp wears out it's done. A tent might be worn out in some areas but still very usable.
>>
>>692612
yeah well the matches will be useless if there are no trees on the island if there are sooner or later you will get friction fire. it's hard to do but you will need it eventually as you run out of matches.
>>
>>692616
>I don't see how the tarp lasts any longer than the tent.
probably won't that's my main problem with it.
fishing line is the other thing that will get fucked by uv faster than you blink.
>>
>>692616
You've made a valid enough argument to me that the materials from the tent outweigh the tarp.

I'll trade my tarp for a tent and possibly my hammock since I'm going to hack up the tent.
So:
knife
pot
tent which I'll cut up and get a tarp and hammock and bug screen.
Hmmm, #4, what to choose...
ipod is intriguing if the battery is endless
handsaw has potential, tools are good
I'm not huge on weed but given the situation, if it has seeds it's the next best item since I can make rope and lots of other stuff. + get baked occasionally.
Gonna have to mull this one a bit.
>>
>>692620
The only problem with trying to grow the weed is that if it's for smoking there's a high chance the seeds won't germinate.
Regardless of that waiting for the plants to grow to the appropriate length to be made into cordage is going to be a couple months and some work to keep the plants healthy.
>>
Weed
Matches
Toilet paper

And then a rifle to figuratively escape the island
>>
>>692456
Since there's a lack of info about the situation in the OP and OP image I'd have to assume it was an okay-sized tropical island. One large enough to support at least 1 person with all their dietary needs indefinitely, including a source of fresh water.

My picks are,

Cooking Pot
Hand Saw
First Aid Kit
Vitamins

Why? The cooking pot will be invaluable for all manner of cooking and water processing chores. If is also highly durable. The Hand saw can be sharpened on the back side so that if may function as a machete. Several inches of the tip can also be removed and metal worked to make a knife, which I know how to do with basic materials. Thus it can be several tools in one. The vitamins are to supplement my diet until I get a proper dietary regiment in place when I learn the ins and outs of the island and the ocean. The first aid kit will be needed until I again become proficient at navigating the island and making tools I will need. I'll end up with lots of cuts and scrapes that will need proper treatment to prevent infection. Once I'm passed the baby stage of learning the island and making the first set of tools I shouldn't need the vitamins or the first aid kit.

Everything else I'd need can be easily sourced from the island itself. Fire making is extremely easy. Making stuff to aid in being rescued will also be easy.
>>
>>692628
interesting...
to be honest i would take a kukri over the knife and saw on a tropical island.

there are not much hardwoods there that warrant a saw which is also harder to maintain edge wise. also i think most saws are wayway too flimsy to be machetes.
>>
>>692639
Most people don't use machetes properly. A modern cross cut saw like that would be more than sturdy enough for the job. However, older antique cross cut saw were far flimsier and wouldn't work very well as a machete, but could still be used as one.
>>
Ipod
Weed
Volleyball
Sunscreen

Just kill me already
>>
>>692456
Knife
Fishing rod
Handsaw
Cooking pot

Handsaw to construct a kickass cabin shelter and any other tool I may need. Fishing rod to catch three square meals per day in the overflowing tropical waters. Knife to clean and prepare fish, plus a million other survival uses. Cooking pot to carry and clean water to ensure clean water source.

Would have picked the flashlight if it had read Fleshlight.
>>
>>692600
>being this pedantic
I'm sure for the mirror to be included it would be parabolic.

Also a pot is useful but you can easily carve a wooden bowl. At least I can.
>>
>>692678
>Also a pot is useful but you can easily carve a wooden bowl. At least I can.

You mean burn out a wooden bowl. There are no carving tools in the OP that would allow you to carve a bowl. You'd need a hook knife for that. But, burning out a bowl with hot coals is an ancient and still used technique of making spoons, drums, and bowls from wood.
>>
>>692678
cook in a wooden bowl? how?
>>
>>692702
That makes a lot more sense. That said, I'm sure I've seen some hand-carved bowls around before.

>>692714
If you put a wooden bowl high enough about a fire it'll get warm but not alight.

I also mainly meant to use it to collect and drink the water out of the tarp pit.
>>
>>692714
you can cook with rocks or coals or even the bowl if the temperature and wood are just right

but really just use rocks or skewers
>>
>>692763
>cook with rocks
>everything takes forever
>everything tastes like ashes and dirt
>sand crunching under your teeth with every bite
>>
>>692664
only faggots would need rods.
>>
>>692764
clean the rocks. time spent cooking isn't time wasted. time spent pointlessly moving around is time wasted. everything will taste of ashes and dirt anyway if you cook with open fires and foraged foods. a little sand in your teeth is the last of your worries in this situation.
>>
>>692456
tarp for water collection and baddas shelter
knife because why not?
pot for boiling water and cooking
first aid doubles as a hook and line to get fish
>>
>>692456
Tarp that you can use for shelter/blanket/ collecting things in a bag, etc

Pot to cook, boil water

Matches because if you're a city boy I'm gonna assume you don't know how to start a fire without an obvious source

Knife to carve tools/spikes/utensils
>>
>>692621
>couple months and some work
and I have what else to do? Other than, of course, build shelter, explore & chart island, build tools/hunting weapons, fish and otherwise enjoy myself while I search for Ginger & MaryAnn
>>
i like how people believe they'll have the energy, time, willpower, and ability to maintain marijuana plants when they will have to live essentially outdoors 24/7 and gather and manipulate all of the materials they require with their own time and energy with only the most basic of tools.

if you don't die immediately you'll spend months on good stable shelter and food production alone and every endeavor will be extremely taxing without proper metal tools. 420 isn't a possibility unless it grows naturally or you're survival superman
>>
Small island with edible vegetation but no freshwater:
Tarp (to collect rain)
Inflatable raft (to sleep in or store rainwater)
Volley ball (to carry water in)
Knife (can spark a fire)

Larger island with freshwater and game:
Knife (sparks)
Tent (freshwater results in mosquitoes)
Volleyball (canteen)
Rope (for traps/snares and misc.)
>>
>>692774
Don't pick on him, he's the one who chose the iPod.
>>
>>692852
most certainly not
but i have seen cookings with stones
i seen how they turn out
fucking disgusting

better get a pot
>>
>>692869
What for? Most of what you'd be eating would be tropical fruits which don't need to be cooked, and fish which is better over open flame than in stews anyway.
>>
>>692880
well crabs and snails and whatnot you are a hundred times more likely to catch than fish
also some plants might be better digestible after cooking. you also might need to boil water.
>>
>>692883
Valid points. I could still make a clay or shell pot, though. Probably worth saving the inventory space for something else that would be harder to manufacture with primitive tools and materials.

And why is the limit based on number of items instead of weight or volume?!
>>
>>692887
ed stafford went to live on an island for 60 days
he went like a healthy middle aged man and came back as a dirty 60yo malnourished hobo.

ask him about what his experience was with shells and cooking...
>>
>>692887
not sure, if i could bring one item it would be my entire survival kit.

silly thing really but it would weight less than the pot on the pic too.
>>
>>692890
I'll read up on that. Just about any tropical island is going to have food, water should be the challenge. Where'd he go wrong?

>>692893
Lol. Mine, too. Though, my gear is focused on the cascadia area, I honestly don't know how well equipped I'd be for the tropics.
>>
>>692898
>Where'd he go wrong?
he didn't bring a pot.
hell he didn't bring anything just cameras.
most stuff can be worked around cutting tools and utensils but not a good metal pot not that you can't find that in nature.

he found garbage and was able to cook but tin cans not last in fires.

pot is god.
>>
>>692898
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2701238/
watch it if you have the time it's funny
he has a first aid kit and has to use it to save his life from diarrhea (eating raw stuff kek, cause he didn't bring a fucking pot)

also tries to follow goats to their drinking water (not a bad idea let's face it) goats lead him to his own secret water stash which they plundered XD
>>
>>692904
Did he try fired clay? Seems like that would be pretty easy to make, and available nearly everywhere you'd find wood to burn.

>>692910
Lol. That goat thing is priceless.
>>
>>692898
>Where'd he go wrong?

He left his ipod at home and couldn't shitpost on 4chan about it.
>>
>>692911
clay is in riverbed, if no river no clay.
just fucking sand.
>>
>>692910
>(eating raw stuff kek, cause he didn't bring a fucking pot)

Jesus, I'd have wrapped it in leaves and cooked it in hot coals. Hell, I do that already when camping.

>Goats

Holy shit. Yeah, he didn't know anything.
>>
>>692914
Clay ends up anywhere there is water for a long time that isn't ocean/sea. I'd never rely on finding clay on a deserted island though.
>>
>>692846
>you'll spend months on good stable shelter and food production alone
Yeah, I'm gonna have to ask you to go sit in the corner and think about where you went wrong. A quick shelter can be put together in just a couple hours, tidal fish traps in another couple hours. A sturdy (read: permanent) shelter can be built over the course of a day or three.
>metal tools
...and keep sitting in the corner until you realize that stone tools are sufficient.
>>
>>692914
>>692917
Near-pure clay can only be found in river and lake beds, but if you have the means to refine it (some containers and time, and yes, I see the irony) then you can pull clay from anywhere there's plants growing.

>>692915
I usually just stick roast everything. You can even bake bread this way.
>>
>>692926
hydration is a bitch on a desert island. it gets fucking hot you lose water like crazy even after a days work you might cramp up and lose all power and die.

you can build shelter and whatnot quickly if you have like 2 gallons of clean water per day.

when you have to constantly struggle keeping hydrated and with hunger it will take weeks what it would take days if you had water and food.

this has been proven quiet a number of times.
>>
>>692456
Hiking boots, in the picture it shows them with laces so I'd use those to first make a bow drill first night.
Pot- looks like a Dutch oven and that'll do everything a kitchen can practically offer plus water purification
Knife- self explanatory
Saw- shelter and wood processing
>>
>>692934
Boiling water doesn't desalinate it.
>>
>>692935
>what is distillation?
probably anon was talking about sweet water that has bugs in it
>>
>>692936
Distillation is the collection of water vapor, a byproduct of boiling water. But in a pot as opposed to a still, you're only concentrating the salinity of the water.
>>
>>692935
You'd have to boil it and collect the vapor by tarp and getting it to condense.
Presto, fresh water.
>>
>>692936
>>692939
Based on the materials we have available, it may be possible to build a still by angling the saw at about 45° about the pot as a condenser, if you have a container like the volleyball to catch the water in. Assuming that you'd need to build this on day one, before you'd have a chance to make for days, you'd also need rope, and therefore wouldn't have any other supplies.
>>
>>692942
Nope. The constant supply of steam will keep a plastic tarp too warm for water to condense on. It would need to be metal or glass to be significantly effective.
>>
>>692939
>you're only concentrating the salinity of the water.
if you increase it enough you will get salt for your cooking.
fun stuff.
>>
>>692932
>constantly struggle keeping hydrated and with hunger
You're not doing it right. Also, op post said *deserted* island, not *desert* island. If you haven't rigged up a water collection device, sure. Thirst+hunger=dedquik. That's why they're pretty high up on the survival to-do list. For the sake of argument, we'll go ahead and assume you're on a desert island. So, if you boil seawater and collect/condense the steam, you get fresh water. Added bonus, you can have salt for seasoning (you'll lose a lot of sodium sweating). All for the low cost of a fire somewhere above the high tide line. If the island is tropical in nature you could use something as simple as a broad leaf to collect steam and drip it into a receptacle. As stated in my earlier post, a tidal fish trap will provide food with fairly little effort. So, tell me more about this relentless cycle of dehydration and starvation. Unless you'd like to move the goalposts?
>>
>>692954
yeah you will get a cup of water for every hour of effort if you do it really well not even that if you do it wrong.

you make it sound easy but when people actually try this it's everything but easy.

best way to keep hydrated is to find fresh water and filter + boil it. and even that is a ton of work as for day hours.

building anything beside it is a challenge.
>>
>>692954
Collecting individual droplets of stream on a leaf above a boiling pot of seawater until you have at least 2L every day for the foreseeable future sounds like struggling to me, anon.
>>
>>692954
>So, tell me more about this relentless cycle of dehydration and starvation.
well it's exactly that when you realize building a tidal fishtrap is not that easy after all on your third day of starving and getting lethally dehydrated and when it doesn't catch anything by the day 9 you get really fucked up.
>>
>>692959
If you think that your first project when stranded on an island is to build a tidal fish trap, you shouldn't be having a discussion about survival skills. You do these things after you have basic food sources established, because traps make things easier in the long run.
>>
>>692965
doesn't matter you won't find anything else to eat not in a significant calorie amount.

either waste time on trying to forage and get even more dehydrated and starved or not.

your choice.
>>
>>692456
Tarp
Knife
Rope
Weed
>>
When you boys grow up and get over the desalination issue which I've already posted 2X how to get past, can we get back to the crusk of this thread?

How do we find Ginger & MaryAnn?
>>
>>692967
99% of grass is edible. simply chewing them for the juice can help a lot.
>>
>>692959
>building a tidal fishtrap is not that easy after all
But it is. I'm guessing you've never done it. All you gotta do is place sticks in a U with the open end toward the beach, then weave smaller sticks through it until you have a basket-looking device. As long as your upright sticks are sunk well into the sand (and preferably anchored under the sand with a horizontal stick at the bottom) it won't float away with the tide. The anchor can be lashed to the vertical sticks with plant fibers.
>>692956
>a cup of water for every hour of effort if you do it really well
Are you implying that only a cup of water will boil off in an hour? Are you also implying that setting the makeshift still up and leaving to do other things while it collects constitutes "effort?"
>implications
>>692958
So use your tarp and have a larger condensation surface. I included the leaf in the equation in case someone chose not to bring a tarp.

I reiterate, if you're starving and dehydrated you're doing it wrong. Look, I understand some of you might not make it; that's okay, die with dignity. Just don't assume I'll be in the same situation as you.
>>
>>692967
Lots of things are edible. Its just a matter of being knowledgeable enough to know what is.

>>692972
What kind of grass isn't edible?

>>692976
I still don't think that the tarp would work. It would certainly be worth a try, but I wouldn't stake my life on it.
>>
Tarp, because they're useful as fuck

The pot, for obvious reasons

Then hand saw, to process wood (I'd like a bow saw though, or better yet a hatchet)

And knife, because you can't do shit without a knife

Actually, without cordage, the tarp might be a little less useful. I might take the tent, because I can use the pot to collect water if I have to.

I'd die though
>>
>>692985
>Tarp, because they're useful as fuck
Already solved
take tent & knife, cut flooring out for tarp, make hammock from tent, make bug net from screening, still have fly left over for more tarping + leftover line and poles.
>>
>>692982
>I still don't think that the tarp would work. It would certainly be worth a try, but I wouldn't stake my life on it.
Set one up in your back yard, see how it works, then get back with me. Protips: use a flexible stick (like a sapling) to hold the uphill end of your tarp in an inverted U shape, and position the device so the boiling pot is nearer the downhill end so the steam has more time to condense before the heat carries it out the uphill end. As the steam condenses, it'll run down to the edges of the tarp and along them to the corner that is above your fresh water vessel. It'll work, trust the random stranger on the internet.
>>
>>692988
Good idea, take the tent, cut it up, get lots of cool materials.
>>
>>692572
>>692507
you could use the outer layer of the tent for that and use the inner layer for protection from bugs also a fishing net of sorts
>>
>>693027
yeah, the post referenced was me and then I realized all the shit I could harvest from the tent.
No brainer, take the tent.
>>
>>692456
4 hammocks
>>
>>692992
>Trust the random stranger on the internet.
This sounds like a good idea. Seriously though, I'll give it a shot. I'll either add a new skill to my repertoire or melt a piece of gear I no longer use.
>>
>>692456
weed-cuz i be blazin
matches-to assist with blazin
rifle-cuz i get paranoid when i smoke
noife-in case ammo is gone b4 weed is gone
TP-or-tent, flip acoin... i can adapt regardless
>>
>>692947
not necessarily true. a technique is to use cool water to weigh down the parabola of the tarp, the water not only acts as a coolant, but a weight
>>
>>693081
Hmm. I could see that working.
>>
>>692562
You're gonna snort those vitamins aren't you.
>>
>>692982
yes interestingly when people try this they 99% of the time exert more energy finding edible things than the calories are in those things two notable exceptions are sneks and fish both can be caught with less energy than they contain.

also finding water is usually more trouble than anything and takes up more of your time than hunting for food. basically you can graze like an hour a day if you are lucky you find some type of oily nut that is edible and that helps you get through the first days until you catch some protein.
>>
>>692976
>Are you implying that only a cup of water will boil off in an hour?
i'm implying that will be the top amount you can gather most people got a few sips with improvised stills out of a gallon of water.
>>
>>692976
>All you gotta do is place sticks in a U with the open end toward the beach, then weave smaller sticks through it until you have a basket-looking device. As long as your upright sticks are sunk well into the sand (and preferably anchored under the sand with a horizontal stick at the bottom) it won't float away with the tide. The anchor can be lashed to the vertical sticks with plant fibers.
how many days that actually takes? also most of the time the tide and waves fuck it all up unless you do it in a river delta.

i remember trying to build a small fishtrap on a sandy beach. the waves simply washed the sand out from under an behind the rocks and it got all fucked up faster than i built it.
>>
>>692664
... Fish alone is not a square meal.
>>
>>692982
Dude. Go outside and try the tarp thing.
That is how this works. We go /out/ and do stuff.
Primative technologies is my nigga btw.
>>
OK so freshwater is the most important thing. If there is no fresh water source on the island (I'm pretty sure I'm going to find a spring on mine because I'm lucky that way) the 1st project needs to be a still. With the still you can distill water. Small ones produce anywhere from 1 gallon every few hours, while larger ones can produce 8 - 12 gallons daily.
biggest issue will be tubing but I'm hoping some large leaves can be rolled for makeshift tubes.
>>693303
Fish alone isn't a square meal, you're correct but I'm hoping there will be some vegetation.

Ultimately there isn't enough information in OP to know what resources you'll have but I'd be OK with giving it a go for 6 months and maybe forever. I believe I could survive it.
tent cut it up into multiple components (tarp, fly, bug netting, poles, cordage)
pot
knife or saw - flip a coin, probably saw which can be made into several tools.
depending what is included FAK if it's a survival type FAK with fishing line, hooks, etc otherwise 4th item is dependent on the island and what is there. Probably still go with the knife for 4th

Yes, I gave this way too much thought
>>
>>693319
>Small ones produce anywhere from 1 gallon every few hours
>biggest issue will be tubing but I'm hoping some large leaves can be rolled for makeshift tubes.
that was a good laugh thx anon, no you can pretty much forget the still unless you have an actual still with copper coils and everything
>Fish alone isn't a square meal
beats having nothing and japs eat tons of sea greens to compliment their diet of fish and rice like sea kelp or what.
you can get poisoned and die or just die of diarrhea unless you 100% positive on a plant id.
>>
>>693479
>good laugh
You're wrong but I'm glad you got a chuckle out of it. You can use plastic tubing for a water still.
Yeah, I get it, moonshiners, copper worm. Perfect world. Sometimes one has to innovate.
>>
>>693266
>Finding food and water is just too much trouble
Sounds like you're saying that it's best to just give up, anon.

>>693479
Do you really believe that the entirety of edible plants is what you see at the grocer? There's actually very few poisonous plants, the only reason grocers are so limited is because farmers only grow a handful of things that have high profit margins. Cruciferous plants and grasses grow everywhere that has soil. Most people are familiar enough with tropical fruits to recognise several edibles. Not to mention bugs, worms, rodents, snakes. If you're not finding food in the tropics, you deserve to die.
>>
>>693569
>Sounds like you're saying that it's best to just give up, anon.
never what i'm saying is it's easy looking at it from your couch easy to name a hundred stuff you could possibly eat when you look it up on the internet then you are on an island and you can't find a fucking thing except for mussels and you don't have fire to even cook them and you don't have water either you know there should be but you just can't find it.

that's what i'm talking about.
>Not to mention bugs, worms, rodents, snakes.
yeah well sneaks are easy enough to hunt but i wonder if there will be a population that will sustain you long term or you hunt them to extinction on the first week. bugs are bait for fish fuck eating them.

there is food all around and you can still starve if you can't prepare it or even catch/collect it. if you are not in the right season you can say goodbye to fruits too.
in the wrong season the weather can be hell and you can be fighting hypothermia not able to make a fire cause everything is fucking drenched.
>>
>>693587
I'm aware that there will be other factors, but I don't think the situation would be as grim as many people are making it out to be. Especially for /out/. Most of us have the basic survival skills and knowledge that others don't have, and many people without basic knowledge have survived in situations less dire than being in the tropics where fertile soil allows for a lot of diversity and higher abundance of plants that are discovered to be edible.

Also, all saltwater seaweeds are edible. Its not a lot of calories, but would help for vitamin requirements.
>>
>>693596
^More dire
>>
>>693596
yeah and on an island depending on size that will be your main source of nutrition: the sea

that is why anyone that would bring a rifle instead of a fishing pole is a huge moron. but let's face it the fishing pole is only gonna be good for a year or so. the line will degrade break you will lose hooks it will get harder and harder to use.

you will need to work up to trap fish and crabs and spear fish.

your first trouble will be depending on season water or shelter second will be fire. if it rains you gonna have water you not gonna have fire, even if you catch anything you won't be able to cook it but at least you won't die of dehydration you will be thoroughly miserable and weak tho when the rain stops. in dry season you might get fire but won't find fresh water and die in 3-4 days tops unless you get lucky. coconuts are a lot of work for a few sips but you can make it to day 4 if you have some.

these islands are fucking hell.
>>
>>692456
Knife
Rope
Tarp
(with those 3 I can probably make a boat or raft)
Fishing rod
>>
>>692507
Plastic tarp can be shelter, hammock, solar still, rainwater catcher, hull of skin on frame boat, or sail for raft.
>>
>>693649
>probably make a boat or raft
Not to leave I hope.

I'm planning on staying quite a while. I seriously need to find this island.
>>
>>693479
>that was a good laugh thx anon, no you can pretty much forget the still unless you have an actual still with copper coils and everything

https://www.google.com/search?q=survival+water+solar+stil&tbm=isch

No tubing needed.
>>
>four volleyballs
>>
Knife, this is number one
Pot, probably unnecessary if you can find clay to make your own
Tent, easier to set up and can be cut up to make the tarp completely obsolete
4th luxury item, probably a gun/fishing pole/vitamins
>>
>>693667
no you need the sun and a see through plastic sheet only. and the throughput will barely enable you to survive a couple of days more forget cooking and drinking a lot.

i know these stuff i also know 90% of the people who tried them failed and exerted more energy and water than what they gained.

very easy to build stuff when you are well hydrated well fed well rested the weather is nice and you have clothes on and proper tools. not that easy as most imagine but easy enough. under less than ideal circumstances it will take days and you will lose a liter of water every hour working under the tropical sun or you won't see shit at night.
>>
The 5 c
1-knife
2- pot
3- matches
4- tarp

You can scavenge the cordage in the beach trash
>>
>>692456
Well to find out what you should take, eliminate things you don't need. Sunscreen will run out eventually and youll be left with a plastic cup, mostly useless so its out.
Toiletpaper will run out eventually and is really only good for tinder, its out.
Ipods are shit and also will run out of battery, its out.
Handsaws, while nice, are only good for sawing.
Flareguns are good for fire and flagging down a ship if you see one, mostly useless if you plan on staying.
Infatable raft would be nice for escaping, but will eventually deflate, would be a good raincatch, but there are better options.
Flashlight needs a battery, its useless for long term.
Bug repellent is very bad because itll get you used to lack of bugs, which will only extend your suffering.
Hammock is very good for getting off the ground and a decent fish net, however there are better options available.
Compass is basically usless on an island.
Mirrors are good for attracting attention only, pretty much.
Vitamins are useless.
Water purifier will run out eventually.
Fishing rod will be a great asset, if you really think you'll need it.
Rope is very good, and versatile, but a waste.
Rifle is again useless.
Weed is for cuckboy faggots.
First aid kits are bad.
Tent is an okay alternative to a tarp.
Knife is okay if theres no stones on the island.
Matches are useless.

What you would want is the following:
Tarp for catching rainwater, protection from rain, sleeping bag, sheet form wet ground, hammock, etc

Pot for boiling water, cooking food, blunt force trauma, will make life 10x easier.

Volleyball, never underestimate the usefulness of a volleyball. It can be used for entertainment, a bouy for a fish trap, companionship, etc

Boots, prevent foot injuries on coral and things like stonefish, because coral can fucking wreck your feet, and a stonefish WILL kill you if you step on it, not to mention those stabbing snails.
>>
>>692456
Pot Knife Tent Matches
This covers pretty much everything
>>
>>692939
Empty a coconut, and put it in the middle of the pot filled with saltwater.
Put the lid upside down to collect the water vapor inside the coconut.
Voilà.
>>
>>692456

Who else Tent/Knife/Boots/WaterPurifier here?
>>
>>693734
Water purifier =/= desalinator bro
>>
knife, fishing rod, matches, pot.
>>
>>693735
If you can't find fresh water, you're going to die.

Simple as that.

Humans need to much water for an improvised desalinator to provide.

Either you find fresh water, or you may as well find some vines and hang yourself before the dehydration gets too bad.
>>
>>693711
i would most certainly take a knife any knife over a volleyball. sadly tropical islands are full of junk these days majority of them is pet bottles and other floatables.

fuck volleyballs they are a meme!
>>
>>693730
matches or shoes is a tough decision

i can understand people that say a shoelace will take care of your fire needs so why not have shoes?
>>
>>693744
finally someone with sense
>>
>>693749
I do not want to waste time getting my fire started.
If rope is what you want, you can always butcher the tent into more valuable things.
>>
>>693667
You don't have clear plastic sheeting. You have a blue tarp, which will prevent sunlight from heating the water, and will heat the tarp. Moisture condenses on cooler materials, so this won't work with the materials available.

Best bet is to just dig a big hole in the sand and line it with the tarp to catch and store rainwater. If there's no mosquitoes in it after a few days, you're good. If there is, then you know there's freshwater on the island, just find it. Either way, I'd want to make a clay filter.
>>
>>693744
>>693750

>If you can't find fresh water, you're going to die.
>Humans need to much water for an improvised desalinator to provide.

Dr Bombard would like a word with you.
>>
>>693755
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Bombard
seems like he was lying out of his ass as they couldn't repeat it.
>>
>>693731
This isn't bad, especially if you put water in the inverted lid to cool it via evaporation. It would require boiling the water to generate enough heat to make it worth it, so it would be pretty quick, but the coconut would float and topple. You'd need a way to keep the coconut upright. And we aren't sure we'll have coconuts, though it would be likely.

>>693747
There's is literally nothing else to transport or store water in except the tarp, and you'd almost certainly need that for catchment.
>>
>>692477
You can always poop in a stream. It carries the poop away, and washes you clean.
>>
>>693758
>One german guy and some Taiwanese people couldn't repeat it
>He must have been lying
Please..

Certaines des affirmations de Bombard ont été contestées par Hannes Lindemann, notamment l'idée de pouvoir survivre sans eau fraîche. Il apparaît toutefois que Bombard a été mal compris en ce qui concerne la possibilité de survie sans eau fraîche19. Bombard n'a jamais soutenu que la survie de l'être humain est possible uniquement en buvant de l'eau de mer. Au contraire, il indique que l'eau de mer en petites quantités peut prolonger la survie si elle est accompagnée, à défaut d'eau de pluie, de l'absorption des liquides présents dans le corps des poissons. Cette question fait toujours débat20, mais les thèses d'Alain Bombard sont loin d'être marginalisées.

My hypothesis is that Lindemann felt he wouldn't survive without drinking the rainwater he had, so he drank some. However, you can't prove he wouldn't have survived if he had done the same as Bombard.
>>
>>693763
>This isn't bad, especially if you put water in the inverted lid to cool it via evaporation. It would require boiling the water to generate enough heat to make it worth it, so it would be pretty quick, but the coconut would float and topple. You'd need a way to keep the coconut upright. And we aren't sure we'll have coconuts, though it would be likely.

I would probably put a small rock in the coconut, and surround the coconut with a few other rocks to keep it upright.

Also, you don't have to fill the pot until the coconut wants to float. The pot looks big enough to put 2/3 cups of water. Just add more water every now and then, and you can fill that coconut.
>>
>>692477
Wow. I didn't even notice this before. How stupid do you have to be to think that humans can't survive without toilet paper? Leaves wipe shit just as well, and if you aren't bathing regularly in the ocean you'll have bigger issues than general crustiness.

General Crustiness, awesome superhero name.
>>
>>693773

>>692477 probably has an ass that's sensitive to major hemorrhoids.

Major Hemorrhoids, awful superhero name.
>>
>>692477
>>693775
not gently washing your ass into the sea...
>>
>>693770
That could work. Definitely better than trying to use the saw as a condenser. It might still be a little slow, so you'd want to run it constantly, if we have access to coconuts, we could bottle up water for days or weeks. Damn nice idea, anon!

With a desalinator taken care of with the pot, food is concern number 2. We've established that cruciferous plants, grasses and seaweeds are all edible, and that we have coconuts which any idiot should recognise. A fish trap will be good once we have the extra time and energy to set it up, but since we have sources of food already, fish is a luxury.

Shelter in the tropics is mostly staying dry, so tarp or tent would both be fine. Tend to agree though, that a chopped tent would provide additional resources that a tarp alone wouldn't.

Warmth... it's sad that I have to be the first to point this out, but if you only get four items, it's probably because your abandoning ship. Matches probably won't help if you have to swim to shore. Saw is carbon steel, so would be best for striking sparks with. Would also help with cutting open coconuts. May have to break off a section to make a knife.

Water, food, shelter, warmth. Anyone see any holes in this logic?
>>
>>693775
Roflass
>>
Why hasn't someone picked the ipod?
it contains glass-ish plastic, metal, plastic, and a lithium battery.
You can maybe use the transparent plastic to make a solar-powered water de-salter.
You can probably use the metal and plastic as "raw" materials.
And if you puncture the lithium battery it can create insanely hot fires.
>>
>>693885
It's a one-use item.

I don't think you can charge it, and I'd rather have a mechanism to cook food.
>>
>>693078
fucking pothead, can't count to 4
>>
>>693667
Gracias for proving me correct.
>>
>>693744
>Humans need to much water
less than 1 gallon/day
You are incorrect. This can easily be desalinated with virtually no effort.
>>
>>693753
>You have a blue tarp,
No I have a tent I've cut into various pieces.
>>
>>693773
>General Crustiness
Captain Crustiness

>>693775
>ass that's sensitive to major hemorrhoids
Get the thing cut off, I did. Have been happy ever since. 1st movement will have you rolling on the floor in tears though.
>>
>>693924
Captain Krusty.
>>
>>693792
no, water food shelter warmtch are the unpraised criteria of survival and sustainability. that being said, there is another criteria when it comes to choosing tools for a survival situation. can they be fabiracted, or are they able to fabricate.

assuming the tent bottom is of the same quality as the tarp, the tent is best. this is rarely true though, and none of the superfluous gain of the tent matters if the quality of its tarp is lesser
>>
>>694129
well i should say dryness and warmth. my own arent verbatim but the archetype persists
>>
>>693768
>However, you can't prove he wouldn't have survived if he had done the same as Bombard.
O hai /x/.

Because literally anyone with communication skills can claim to have done literally anything, if an extraordinary claim made without evidence can't be replicated independently it's assumed bogus until proven otherwise. That's how things work in the real world.

Or in 4chan terms, pics or it didn't happen.
>>
>>693885
>Why hasn't someone picked the ipod?
Because you can make one but only one really good fire by shorting the battery, assuming it's charged, which will probably burn your hands badly enough to prevent you from fishing for the rest of the month.

>>693661
>Not to leave I hope.
Maybe to leave, maybe to fish, depends on how much I like the island and what kind of boat I can cobble together out of the local vegetation.
>>
>>693920
bullshit, if you don't have the proper tools you can't desalinate a sip.
also if you work you need a lot more especially in a hot tropical sun either searing beach or vulcanic rock or hot humind jungle.
>>
>>694203
>if you don't have the proper tools you can't
Maybe you can't, I can. I'm coastal, I was in BSA.
I have played with this before. Desalination is not that difficult. You are making it sound as if it is a mystery.
>>
>>694255
i never seen makeshift desalinators produce any reasonable results.
if you could make a video i would appreciate it.
i'm not making it sound like mystery it's simple physics and that is what working against you if you don't have the right materials in the right shape and size for your needed throughput.

so far what i have seen is a couple of drops produced from a gallon of water with makeshift desalination enough to wet your tongue.
>>
>>694147
>if an extraordinary claim made without evidence can't be replicated independently it's assumed bogus until proven otherwise.

Actually the Taiwanese did repeat it. So did the French.

"although both the French and Taiwanese navies both concurred with Bombard's findings, the Taiwanese exercise extending to 134 days."

"The experiment was repeated by naval volunteers in two other countries, and the Taiwanese navy extended the exercise to a hundred and thirty four days without freshwater".
>>
>>692456
Saw (sharpen back edge on a rock, create basic knife like tool, can be used to make friction fire)
Pot (boil water and food, store rainwater)
Tarp (rain collection and shelter)
Flare gun (my primary aim would be to be rescued, not try to survive there indefinitely, flare gun is the best means of attracting attention as well as having a stack of green fuel to throw on your fire prepared at all times)
>>
Pot,
Matches
AXE (not on the list but instead of knife..)
Rifle,

Means of fire (axe+matches)
Means of purifying water and cooking (matches+pot)
Means of shelter (axe)
Means of gathering food (rifle)
Means of defending myself (rifle)

Without knowing more about the island. I'd be pretty tempted by tent instead of rifle depending on island. Lots of bugs, extreme weather etc and a tent would be a god send.

If I'm on the island for a LONG period of time, then mirror instead of matches as renewable method of fire lighting. Tho' arguably if I'm there for that long I have probably perfected friction fires by then.

>>692461
>>692468
>>692562
>>692628

All you retarded motherfuckers choosing vitamins, kek,

>>692678
Yes but the reason a pot is good is because you can COOK stuff and BOIL water (hence purify) over a fire, which you can't, of course, do with a wooden bowl...

>>693885
You're an idiot. See below,

>glass-ish plastic
Wtf is this. Creating new materials?

>make a solar powered water de-salter
yes because iPods have photovoltaic cells, of course..

>''raw'' materials
to what end? oh I have 50 grams of plastic, how very fucking useful

>fires
try fire. Singular.
>>
>>692456

This really depends on where the island is. On my home Isand I'd be fine with either the knife, or the hand saw alone.
>>
>>694368

You actually can boil water in a wood bowl. Won't last that long, but you can. Hell, you can boil water in a paper cup if you want.
>>
>>694376

Good luck processing enough drinking water for that to be sustainable.

You can boil water in a plastic bottle, but it requires vigilance and time and can only be used a finite number of times. A pot is nearly indestructible, will (probably) hold more water, can be left unattended, and will boil (and cool) the water faster than alternatives.

Compromising on your number one priority (water) isn't very smart.
>>
>>694430
>dat pic
you don't want piss in your cooking water
>>
>>694368
>Means of gathering food (rifle)
>Means of defending myself (rifle)
that's not bloody likely on a tropical island
maybe you can hunt birds that would be otherwise unreachable everything else gonna come from the water or you can whack it dead with a club.
>>
>>694368
>All you retarded motherfuckers choosing vitamins, kek,
>>692468
priority #12 which means if everything above it would be unavailable i would take it over weed.
faggot.
>>
>>694459
>water or you can whack it dead with a club
or snare/trap
>>
File: 025.jpg (125KB, 436x400px) Image search: [Google]
025.jpg
125KB, 436x400px
>>694457
>you don't want piss in your cooking water
>>
>>694430
if it comes with the chick I'm definitely taking the pot.

>>694459
No criteria on island size. Only desertED not desert. Could have wild pig, rodents, even other less likely introduced species such as goat, chicken, cattle. Equally, can shoot birds. Can even shoot fish - rate my chances better shooting them than trying to spear fish. Seeing as I have no fucking idea how to make a functioning fishing pole without cordage.

>>694461
You're the faggot picking 12 items instead of 4. Also if that list is in ranked order as you imply you've chosen a FAK over everything else? And rank shit like suncream and boots over a shelter..
>>
>>694505
>Can even shoot fish
Bullets gonna run out. Gun worthless as much as I'd like to have it just for plinking and stuff.
>>
I would choose
Knife - because it is one of the most crucial tools to insure your survival it could also help you build a shelter then you will not need to bring a tarp or a tent
Flare Gun - Because it can be used for signaling and you can use it to make a fire as well
First Aid Kit - because even the smallest scratch can cause infection and it is good to have on you anyways cause you never know
Pot - Because you can not survive 3 days without water and that's if you are not doing anything witch you are probably not doing but a pot can help you collect water then boil it witch is a crucial part of surviving
>>
>>694509
Invalid truistic argument. OF COURSE bullets run out.

OP does not specify length of time on island, nor bullet quantity.

I can equally say, your fishing line is gonna snap, you've only got x number of hooks, etc
>>
>>694518
Very true point you bring up
>>
>>692460
Why not knife? Could use it to make cordage, build shelter, Hunt, sharpen stick for spear fishing etc. Also you'll need to take out the salt so a filter would be better. Can use a wooden pot and put in hot rocks to boil water.
>>
>>696118
>Can use a wooden pot and put in hot rocks to boil water

Yeah good luck with that.
>>
>>696118
>need to take out the salt so a filter would be better
Lol, nope. Doesn't work that way. Filters are not desalinators. When salt dissolves in water, the sodium and chlorine ions separate, and are smaller than the water molecules. You're a fucking idiot if you think that you can filter salt water. But hey, at least you're not alone.
>>
>>694520
both tool CAN help you out in the START.
however the fishing line gonna end it's life-cycle in a year of heavy use the gun will run out of bullets in a month or less depending on how crappy shot you are.
on an island you can be pretty sure there will be fish around. like 99.999% if you can use a gun for anything or not to hunt that's up to luck. most likely you will waste bullets on birds and lizards and maybe small monkeys. all of them could of course be snared.

i seriously wouldn't pick the rifle unless i know for sure i can use it for at least a year. especially since you might portion the fishing line keep most of it out of the sun and even use improvised hooks.
>>
File: beachit.jpg (144KB, 960x376px) Image search: [Google]
beachit.jpg
144KB, 960x376px
>>
>>692456
Hammock
First Aid Kit
Weed
Fishing Rod
>>
File: beachel.jpg (184KB, 900x472px) Image search: [Google]
beachel.jpg
184KB, 900x472px
>>
>>696179
>>696184
my childhood screams
you are raping it
>>
File: rollup.jpg (438KB, 1365x934px) Image search: [Google]
rollup.jpg
438KB, 1365x934px
>>696191
but forthis thread,, bottles=Nife,, MAgnifying lens,, cooking,, source of Vodka!
, fishing debri Pyramid!,, rope.
,,, Shoes,,, Amalda Marcos will be jelly!
,deserted beach will be stockpiled, like Wallmart.
,im hopeing,, for a Can of Marijuanas.
>>
>>694368
>All you retarded motherfuckers choosing vitamins, kek,

And you have absolutely no real world experience.
>>
File: 1436915286222.jpg (100KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1436915286222.jpg
100KB, 1280x720px
>>692456
OKAY

so the cast iron pot is first
second the tent. you can use that for a while until you build a more permanent shelter, and then you can take it apart and use all of the parts for other things. think about it. it contains cordage inside of the tent poles, the poles themselves, the solid tarp material, netting, tent stakes etc
the hand saw is third. sharpen the back of it progressively with stones and bam you have a machete and saw. break off a few inches of the end of it and sharpen that and bam theres your knife.
lastly you get yourself that fishing rod because it'll keep you busy and get you food with very little effort.
>>
>>696393
what does vitamins have to do with real world experience. everyone posting on this board is alive, im assuming not because of lack of nutrition
>>
>>693764
thanks india
>>
>Knife, this is number one
>Pot, probably unnecessary if you can find clay to make your own
>Tent, easier to set up and can be cut up to make the tarp completely obsolete
>Mirror, its soul purpose is to signal any distant aircraft/ship I see.
>>
If I'm on an island I'd probably prepare to live there until I die or go insane.

For me it would be:
- tent
- knife
- rope
- matches

Easy fire I can keep fuelled would be a godsend. I can then use it to make a spear for fishing and cook them on the fire. Forage for edible plants. Cut up the tent if I need materials and just sleep under the base. Look for water. Turn parts of the tent into a poncho and hood to keep the sun off. Find a way to make fire without matches in the meantime for when they inevitably run out. That's my strategy anyway.
>>
I'm also going to assume the island is tropical and not an island in antarctica or some freezing hellhole like that.

The pot is a must to boil water and unlike the water purifier it will last forever.
With a rope I can create a lot of things effectively (shelter, hammock, bow drill for fire, raft) I'm only limited by the amount of rope I get
I would need a knife to craft a lot of things
Finally I'll go with the first aid kit because it's gonna be really handy if things go wrong, and the kit in the picture looks like it has a lot of stuff

my thoughts on some of the other items I considered
>tarp
use leaves instead
>flare gun
really tempting but build a signal fire instead
>compass
essential for navigation but on a deserted island I'm probably gonna stay put anyway
>vitamins
you'll get some vitamins from eating seafood and being out in the sun
>fishing rod
useless without hooks and fishing line, better to build fish traps
>matches
those things will only last a little while and can be ruined by water
>>
>>696576
>probably unnecessary if you can find clay to make your own
forget this bullshit takes forever to refine clay to make pottery without having an actual container!! watch vids how it's made you will die of thirst long before you have clay not to mention successfully bake it.
>>
>>692456
ipod, sunscreen, toiletpaper and mirror
>>
>>696155
Would be ez, just take longer
>>
>>696691
Have you ever tried? It's really not that easy to process a useable amount of water. Also, you're gonna need to make a bowl big enough for an amount of water (say 1 litre) AND the rocks , so maybe 4-5 litres total. Good luck finding a large enough piece of wood (with only your knife) to facilitate that.

I would rank a pot right up there at the top with an axe.
>>
>>696488
i still think the saw is worse than a knife as a single tool i'm not convinced you can break it up sensibly or it will be sturdy enough for a knife or machete.
someone post a vid or something.
>>
>>692456
I don't care what anyone says, I'm taking toilet paper, it's the little comforts that keep you alive.

The obligatory volleyball, where would I be without one?

A flashlight (it's spoopy y'all)

Also this game has major plot-holes, I'm using the inflatable raft, and getting the hell off this island.
>>
>>696723
>using the inflatable raft, and getting the hell off this island.
unless there is land in spitting distance you would better not.
>>
>>694505
>You're the faggot picking 12 items instead of 4. Also if that list is in ranked order as you imply you've chosen a FAK over everything else? And rank shit like suncream and boots over a shelter..
basically it's like this:

i have certain criteria to every item to include them or not, if anything falls out then the next will step up.

that is why i went to 12 because i wouldn't even consider the rest.

first aid kit (if it's well equipped) is the most likely item that will save your life and on op pic it alone had like a hundred items.

pot is something that is very very hard to improvise and will make everything a hundred times easier for you (if you can make fire)

knife is something i would rather have than not but sharp shells or rocks could substitute it, i would probably make a hatchet/axe with shell or some silica if i find (which is why i don't even think about the saw) but a knife would be hard to make that's some advanced knapping shit.

the fishing rod is only applicable if it has line and hooks if not moving on if i have to spear fish i'm gonna need a boot. cause fuck the poisonous critters.

sunscreen will help me get a decent tan while saving me from debilitating sunburn (i'm awfully white skinned otherwise i wouldn't want it) also only if the boots are not applicable (like i can have my shoes by default)

tarp well it's a luxury item in my eyes since i could build a decent shelter in a day or two. i have done it before. it would be useful if i arrive in a downpour so would the raft.

raft would be good for fishing or moving between islands or a lot of things but eventually would give out less mobile than the tarp tho.

hammock is like if nothing above is decent quality i will take a bit of comfort.

rest is unlikely to be of any use.
>>
>>697855
i understood this from the thread it sure sounds nice, but i don't know.

the tarp is easier to set up fast or move tent has more stuff to cannibalize from and protects from the fucking bugs while you don't have a shelter you can smoke out with your fire.

but they are all luxury items to me compared to a steady means to get food if possible or to an item that allows you mobility on hostile dangerous terrain.

the water thing is certainly important enough and if you can't find fresh water your pot will not save you from dehydration easily. i'm assuming you can because otherwise you will die unless rescued in a couple of days.
>>
>>692456
1. the knife
2. the pot
3. either the tent or the tarp
4. the first aid kit.

The matches would be nice but they will run out eventually anyway, the rope would come in handy but you can make rope from tree bark or other plants, the fishing rod would be good but unless it comes with more hooks then it will be useless the first time you lose your hook.
>>
>>692456
-Knife - no brainer
-Tent - use until permanent shelter is built then cannibalize. Not pictured: rain fly, stakes, guy lines and repair kit. I'm assuming it has all these things.
-pot - no brainer
-first aid kit -Thought about the raft instead of the FAK. But the one pictured seems substantial and would be very nice to have. A small cut can turn into life threatening situation fairly easily depending the environment. Also, the case looks like it can be used to store water.
>>
>>692456
tarp, knife, mirror, pot
>>
>>692460
>knife
>pointless

I assume you can also bring a whetstone, dummy.
>>
>>696622
Watch the video where primitive technology guy is making a wattle and daub hut. It ain't that bad. IF you can find a decent clay deposit.
>>
>>692456
Any list that doesn't involve the tent, knife and pot, are shit lists.

The tent gives you automatic SHELTER, to protect you from the elements. Even if the tent isn't completely water proof you could tie leaves to it and shit.

The pot gives you a vessel to collect water in or to make water potable. Plus you can cook in it.

The knife can be used to process leaves/sticks/hunting etc...

The last item is a tossup. The tarp would make it really easy to collect a lot of water during rain, rope is useful for trap making and other stuff, matches make starting a fire a breeze, and a flare gun would be the easiest way to signal for rescue.
>>
>>698163
Think of all the precious calories you'd burn building a fucking hut.
Just gathering all the resources would be exhausting.
>>
>>698166
you wont necessarily die without shelter on a tropical island, you dont have to fuss over having a shelter on your first night
after a few hours you can build a simple, primitive shelter with natural materials and then improve on it as time goes by
>>
>>698169
Wouldn't you rather spend time finding water and food rather than building shelter?

I know a deserted island isn't the most harsh environment, but you never know when a squall is going to blow through.
>>
>>698173
It doesnt take all day to arrange a lean to or A frame shelter. Takes a few hours to do it but then you have something. I just think with only 4 options, the tent is a luxury. My logic is that you should choose things that are hard to create in the wild with natural materials. You can craft a shelter. Its one of the easier things you can build and doesnt take a lot of skill.
>>
>>692456
First aid kit- it's a nice one that has cutting tools in it, scissors can be disassembled and used like knives to fashion tools out of the trees if there are those, +other shit useful in kit

Hammock, can be cut up for material to make bow, snares, fishing equipment

Pot for water/food/ etc

Inflatable raft, more material, which this could be used for water collection and purification to get rid of the pot in exchange for weed cuz 420 blazet
>>
>>698168
I was really just talking about making clay pots, but I agree with you to some degree -- making a wattle and daub hut would take lots of calories and no small amount of time. That particular project would have to wait until after caloric acquisition had become mostly automated (tidal fish traps and whatnot).
>>
>>692456
boots knife tent
hunting rifle depending on how much munitions
at least 50 rounds
less then 50 rounds ive been advised to take rope so probably take tarp or first aid kit or matches again depending on specifications

roll#2 weed matches ipod hunting rifle
>>
>>692576
im watching my dietritional plastic intake is this something i should be concerned about?
>>
>>698163
i watched him make a clay pot
he used glass containers to settle the clay particles of different size it took hours if not days just to have the right particle size, again it probably took days to get the clay to the camp gather enough to work with and build a furnace.

his video was certainly recorded over multiple days.

now when you are starving and thirsty and doing all this without practice you are not even gonna make his quota. you gonna die of thirst playing pottery.
>>
>>697958
>the fishing rod would be good but unless it comes with more hooks then it will be useless the first time you lose your hook.
i kind of assume the first aid kit will have stuff to improvise hooks from. but sure that's my problem with the fishing rod too. the rod itself is pointless you can make a fishing pole if you can find fishing line on the shore and hooks that's a gamble.
>>
>>692583

>rope

Literally the easiest thing to reproduce in any environment south of canada.
>>
Since I don't want to live the rest of my life on this island I'll need tools that will allow me to get out of this situation.

First of all, a knife. It has multiple uses and can not be crafted.

Secondly, a tarp. I can not take unlimited ammount of water with me on my journey back to land. Using a tarp, I'll be able to "harvest" water from humidity.

Third, Compass. I can find N, S, W, E without it, but it will help me doing it more accurately and finding home easier.

And last, an inflatable raft. I will build a boat using whatever wood and other materials I can find on the island, but I'll tie the boat to my selfmade boat, just incase. After all, I dont want to drown to death in the middle of the ocean if something happens.
>>
>>698290
You'll die of thirst before you escape. Compass or tarp should be exchanged for a pot IMO.
>>
>>698292
If this is a tropical island (all comments above are based on tropical islands), there are good chances I'll find a nice source of water.
If not, I'll use my tarp to harvest water from sea water.

Pot is useless. No one said it's rainy season. And cooking can be done on rocks. So pot is useless.
>>
>>698296
you should try this out before you speak stupid things tho.

first of all without a pot you can't drink any fresh water you find. people who do that usually get horrible diarrhea and die unless rescued.
second you will not be able to match without a pot your water intake with production especially if you work.
so no pot is first priority knife is only second tarp is just meh.
>>
>>698290
>Using a tarp, I'll be able to "harvest" water from humidity.
where does this coming from seriously? anyone can show some tutorial or a youtube vid?
>>
>>692456
1. First Aid Kid
2. Knife
3. Pot
4. Matches
Would really like to have the tarp and boots as well.
>>
>>698346

There is a how to pic in the comments
>>
>>698296

Pot is most useful = PURIFYING WATER

Also,, means of carrying water when you plan your escape. Might only be a few litres but would make the difference if you're stranded on your raft for more than a few days.

>>698346
solar still

The problem with these kinds of threads is people gloss over the skill set needed to actually do these things effectively. It's a lot harder than made to be believed to actually get a useable consistent amount of water from a solar still. Equally with ''using rocks to boil water'' or any of the other survival BS spouted.
>>
>>692456
>everyone in this thread saying Pot for certain uses
>im sitting here trying to figure out how to purify and boil water with 5 ounces of weed
>>
>>698444
no there isn't
>>
>>698488
too much weed does that to your brain
>>
Pot
Knife
Tarp
Boots

Could pick matches over boots, but I can make a fire without them, and taking care of your feet is important.
>>
>>698450
>solar still
i saw a vid a dude built a huge solar still (took him an hour and he sweat like a pig) and he used a foil not a tarp and after 24 hours he got a quarter cup of water out of it.

that's like bamm you are dead. and it probably wouldn't even work with tarp.
>>
>>698521

>foil

I know nothing on this topic, but it seems to me that foil would reflect the heat that you are trying to let through to the water.

Maybe the tarp would perform better. That said, there has to be fresh water somewhere on the island, or nothing would live there.
>>
>>698594
>>698594
no plastic sheets/foils are almost see through that's why they work
>>
>>698594
>That said, there has to be fresh water somewhere on the island, or nothing would live there.
could be inaccessible to you especially in certain seasons.
>>
File: knd.jpg (5KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
knd.jpg
5KB, 184x184px
>>692456
weed (get high)
ipod (listen to sick tunes while you get high)
hammock (be comfy while getting high)
rope (to hang yourself)
>>
Tarp, knife, vitamins, first aid.
>>
File: 1455503906277.jpg (60KB, 635x356px) Image search: [Google]
1455503906277.jpg
60KB, 635x356px
>tent
>pot
>handsaw (handsaw>knife)
>flaregun (imma gtfo of here)
>>
Knife, all round tool.
Water purifier, water is essential and any water has to be treated or you will end up with the runs.
First aid kit, not just for treating small injuries, there is a lot of us full stuff in it.
Tarp, again lots of used.

I will not need matches as I can make fire with a fire bow.
I do not need a tent because I can build shelter.
No giggle because the largest animal you will find in an island that will support a man is a goat.
No compass. It's an island.
Boat can be replaced with a raft if I need to get off shore to fish.
Make a net from string I have made from plant fibre, no fishing rod. Also a fishing rod by itself is pretty useless, no line, no hooks.
Flair gun? Mirror? I am undecided if I would want to be rescued.

I have been dumped in tropical coast by myself and had to survive for three weeks. I had a flair and sealed ration packs. If I used either it was a fail.
I had a pilots survival vest, knife and a sharpening stone.
In two days I had fire, fish, fruit, shelter, and was working on a smoker.
My biggest problem came by day six. Boredom. I was only spending three hours a day colecting food and there is only so much you can do to improve a thatch hut.
Next time I'll smuggle in a pack of cards.
>>
>>699665
nice, altho what if the fishing rod came fully equipped with line and like hooks and everything in the hollow handle? would you still take the tarp?
>>
>>699669

If the fishing rod was complete with tackle I would still take a pass on it.
Fish traps are more economical. Less time and energy required than casting a line and waiting.
While the trap is in the water you can be doing something else, like digging yams, collecting fruit, working on your shelter.
>>
>>699676
yeah but making the fish-traps takes days and they are not exactly maintenance free. also you might build them at a sport where they catch nothing work energy time still spent.

people often enough catch nada with professional traps and nets.

you could have fish on day one or two with a fishing pole. assuming you know minimal amount of fishing.
>>
>>692456
Always take bogrolls
>>
>>692456
>>692456

>fishing pole
Easy way to kill time and eat
>mirror
This is mostly so you can get off of the island. Reflect light to signal ships.
>tarp
Shelter from the sun
>first aid kit
Just in case.
>>
>>692456
Knife
Tarp
Mirror
Med kit.
>>
>>700010
>found the narcissistic cutter
>>
>>692533
Use mud (rub on skin) and smoke to ward of insects.
>>
>>692456
Knife
Tent
Water purifier
Flare Gun
>>
>>692456
Tarp, pot, purifier, knife, first aid.
>>
>>699693
A fish trap takes me less than two hours to make, I never make just one.
Man invented fishing with a pole to get away from the wife and kids, sit next to a body of water in the peace and quiet.

In a survival situation you always look for the laziest way to do something.
Spend six hours building three fish traps that will last for days or spend six hours a day standing next to water waiting for a fish to bite or not.
I prefer to build the traps and do something else that will ensure my survival with the extra time.
>>
>>700358
>A fish trap takes me less than two hours to make
sure if you have everything at hand nice and convenient you are well fed hydrated and not burning up under the tropical sun naked sweating like a pig.
>>
cooking pot, first aid, metal knife and compass. the rest i can make.

i don't want to have to improvise any of the important things that i picked- fuck a stone knife or not using a metal pot.
>>
File: Phil-Ivey-court-case-012.jpg (688KB, 2329x1397px) Image search: [Google]
Phil-Ivey-court-case-012.jpg
688KB, 2329x1397px
>>692507
Ah yes, those pesky ocean mosquitos.
>>
>>700044
So where do the trees and vegetation get nourishment, sand? Islands are not only made by sand collection, there are volcanoes and plate movement...
>>
>>700435
>In the Pacific, 2 types of islands can be distinguished:

> Low lying islands --> ie atols --> soil type: pulverised coral; very poor; limited freshwater storage capability in soil
> High lying islands --> ie vulcanic islands --> soil type: vulcanic debris; medium to very rich; high freshwater storage capability in soil; especially valleys are the most suitable locations for agriculture since they have a thicker layer of soil

>The main limiting factor to agriculture on (sub)tropical islands is the freshwater storage capability in the soil. In essence, the low lying islands are so il-equipped to store freshwater that no agriculture is practiced on these islands at all. Rather, food is gathered by hunting and fishing and the islands are only occupied for a short period of time; untill the water stores have been depleted. The high lying islands are suitable for agriculture and 2 island subtypes can be distinguished, namely those with medium and with very rich soil; the latter allowing the growing of 2 additional crops, knowingly taro's and bananas.
>>
A Knife! Everything you need to survive very comfortable is craftable.
Optional Rope, Matches and Hammock for base building on day 1.
>>
>>700442
>A Knife! Everything you need to survive very comfortable is craftable.
except for a FUCKING POT you will never craft that one even if you can flintknap and have obsidian.
>>
I think you will not need a pot in real surviving situations. A mess tin would be comfortable but you can also cook meat and fishes directly with a stick. You can try to use wet coconuts to have an improved pot
>>
>>700440
Wild vegetation not domestics.
>>
>>700476
in a shit soil that nothing of value lives wild is all you get taro and banana grows wild.

the main point is the soil is so shit it's basically just sand and salt water on some islands.
>>
>>692456
why not make a vote?
next time link a poll you fag!
>>
>>692456
pot.. 5 ounces of pot.. knife fishing rod.. use the pot and the hollow rod to steam sea water into fresh.. knife for everything.. making shelter out of trees and bushes isnt hard.. same with a raft.. make shoes out of trash like africans.. why the fuck would you need a compass on an island anyway... and lastly the weed!! they see you set up all nice living on a beach smoking herb and living it up on satellite they would send every drug task force in that area to come bust you.. thats your rescue plan..
>>
First aid kit, boots, knife, flare gun, fishing pole. Unless the weed has seeds, then exchange flare gun for weed.
>>
>>692468
Choose 4 you retard
>>
So, I think I'm done with /out/. This thread has shown me that nearly all of you think that survivalism is whatever cool thing you've seen in a movie or TV show. Those are never the best option, they're for when nothing else will work, ideas pushed by executives trying to get ratings by showing you the most extreme way that something could be done. And you all bought into that garbage.
>>
>>702838
not enough information

so i made a priority list but items can fall out easily like the fuck you do with a fishing pole and no line and hooks?
why would you pick a boot if you are not barefeet?
water purifier only useful if you don't get washed up a low lying island.
why would i get sunscreen if i already have a good tan and not worry about severe sunburn?

and it goes on.
>>
>>692494
Water Purifier and Pot? Are you dense?
>>
>>702848
Cya tomorrow
>>
>>702964
>dense
That doesnt even work in this context. Stop using buzzwords.
>>
>>692456
>City boy here
>what should I be choosing?

A noose.
>>
>>700443

Step 1: Use hot rocks from fire to burn out a hollow in a half-log
Step 2: scrape out char (or don't, if you like the flavor)
Step 3: fill new vessel with water
Step 4: place hot rocks in water
Step 5: boil water in your new wood cooking pot.

Not ideal, but it fucken works.
>>
>>692456
>A rope and 5 ounces of weed.
It's been one hell of a ride bros
>>
I only need a knife and a tarp
>>
>>703211
that would only take you like 3 days to make in pot size. assuming everything goes well and you find a suitable tree and have means to fell it.

very nice but it still does not even come near to the usefulness of a pot. not even close hell it's not even in the corner.
>>
Fishing Rod (you can eat most fish raw mang
5 ounce of weed (in case that fish is gross tasteing I can get my appitite up also you can eat weed for fibre and some nutrients)
Matches for makeing fire/light and smokeing my weed
Hunting Rifle So I can shoot at boats to get there attention or myself in the head so I dont starve to death

God mode: use up all the matches and some the whole 5 ounces in one sitting and then just shoot yourself with hunting rigle because intense depression
>>
>>703596
make sure that fish is healthy or all its parasites are now YOUR parasites, but yeah, ESPECIALLY FRESH.
>>
>>703243
>he's killing himself
>he doesn't take the hunting rifle
>>
Knife
Tent
Tarp
First Aid

Tent First aid and Tarp would be really important on making you feel comfortable and the knife is a given. You can make a fishing rod. Just having the shelter would be such a boost to overall emotion that it's well worth it.
>>
>>703794
I wanted everyone to see my spooky skeleton hanging in the tree anon
>>
>>703785
this if you want eye worms eat raw fish
>>
>>692656
If I'm gonna die I'm gonna have fun doing it
>>
>>692456
Sunscreen
iPod
Weed
Rope

Listen to music high till I run out and hang myself
>>
>all these retards not picking matches

I'll be laughing when your shitty bowdrill fails and my signal fire gets me rescues
>>
>>703211
What do you mean with step 1? Leave them on the log or scrape the log down with the hot rocks?
>>
>>692456
Ipod, 5 ounces of weed, sunscreen, hammock

might as well enjoy the vacation.
>>
>>692476
underrated post
>>
>>704844
bowdrill is not your only option tho.
and they can fail but that just means you got to try some other wood or it's wet and you need to dry it.
matches can easily fail you too and they are not a long term solution. they can last for a month or so.

that's why most people won't pick them.
>>
>>692456
>knife- obvious reasons (fire, hunting equipment, carving people to talk to)
>pot- Vital for boiling water. Food too but this is secondary.
>flaregun- bit of a controversial one, I'm selecting it because signal fires can be real fucking temperamental, especially in bad conditions, and when you're unable to light it or far away from it.
>Tarp- shelter, water desalination in conjunction with the pot, keeps vital things dry, sun shelter.
>>
>>707338
>knife- obvious reasons (fire, hunting equipment, carving people to talk to)
you mean carving dildos right?
>>
>>707415
>carving dildos
>Not "inserting coconuts in your rectum"

Pussy faggot
>>
>>692456
>handsaw
you can break a piece off, instant knife, fasten an impromputu hook, chop down a tree for shelter
>First Aid kit
>matches
>water purifier
fight me
>>
>>707446
i give up.
i want to see this happen.

somebody show how to make a knife out of a saw without any tools! upload it on youtube so we can all learn.
>>
>>707452
you fucking bend the saw against a rock till it breaks unless its like carbon or something retard
>>
>>707456
but then you still don't have a knife you have a broken saw
>>
Weed
Rifle
Pot
Mirror
The only correct answer
>>
>>705458
lel
>>
File: 1446618332141.jpg (786KB, 773x4014px)
1446618332141.jpg
786KB, 773x4014px
>>692456
In a real situation, you wouldn't be able to choose. But anyway,
>hunting rifle
>first aid kit
>boots
>tent

Good thing I have all of primitive technology's videos memorized.
>>
>>692456
>Tarp.
>Flare gun.
>Water Purifier.
>Inflatable Raft.
Thread posts: 310
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.