[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we get a food general? What do you bring? This is 2 nights

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 262
Thread images: 42

File: IMG_5372.jpg (1MB, 2659x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5372.jpg
1MB, 2659x2448px
Can we get a food general? What do you bring? This is 2 nights 3 days of food for me.
>>
File: IMG_3453.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3453.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
This is about 5 days of food for me.
>>
>>690716
can we get a list of what you have pictured?
it looks a little light to me..
+ there appears to be a LOT of sweets

>>690722
list pls
>>
>>690741
Breakfast: 3 pop tarts, 3 oatmeal pies, 2 instant coffee, 2 hot chocolate, 3 cliff bars.
Lunch: tortillas, block o cheese, olive oil, baccon bits.
Snacks: rye chips, sweet tarts, twix, electrolyte drank mix.
Dinner: instant potatoes, pasta side. Both dinners pair with the cheese, olive oil, bacon bits.
This was for a 2 night 48 mile hike. Showed up to the car with only a twix and a tortilla left.
>>
>>690716
I don't have a pic, but I normally go with some combo of:

mountain house for dinner, hot cocoa if it's a colder evening
oatmeal + protein bar +tea for bfast
snacks through the day - trail mix, jerky, fruit if it's a short /out/ing, sometimes candy
>>
Does /out have any good beef jerky recepies?
>>
>>690716
What do you put on those tortillas?
>>
>>690716

A bunch of Knorr bags, walmart brand protein granola bars, meal replacement granola bars, snickers, power aid, coffee, beer, whiskey, weed, short cigars.

I'd bring bacon and various types of meat but fucking bears man.
>>
>>690757
Cheese olive oil bacon bits or penutbutter and fruit.
>>
File: 71ggaIBIsqL._SL1214_.jpg (227KB, 1214x681px) Image search: [Google]
71ggaIBIsqL._SL1214_.jpg
227KB, 1214x681px
>>690757
>>690716
Also I bring for a 3 day trip
4 of pic related
2 Raman noodle bowls
And 1 or 2 other main meal items or something like oatmeal, bannock, preferably something that I make.
For snacks I like those crackers that come 6 to a pack, maybe 4 packs for snacks while hiking, nuts like almonds usually, maybe a cup or 2 worth, maybe 3 cliff bars or similar and that's about all
For water I take 2 Gatorade bottles during the winter fall and spring, and in summer an extra 16 oz water bottle. There is a good bit of water sources here so I just carry my filter
>>
OP, did you make both these posts?

>>690716
>>690722
>>
>>690767
Yes
>>
>>690722
What do you pack to cook the ramen in?
>>
>>690765
That sound absolutely disgusting but each to their own I guess.
>>
>>690772
Toaks 600ml titianim pot and diy pop can alcoholic stove to boil water then cook everything in Tupperware with a cozy.
>>
>>690765
Pls next time you make a meal for yourself make one of these and take a picture for us I want to see what this looks like sounds really weird but it could be good
>>
File: ahhaha.jpg (26KB, 200x267px) Image search: [Google]
ahhaha.jpg
26KB, 200x267px
>>690716
>cookies
>bacon bits
>brown sugar cinnamon
>creme filled cookies
>sweet tarts
>hot chocolate
>twix
>white chocolate macadamia nut

>>690722
>ramen
>2x+ packages of starburst
>>
File: IMG_3330.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3330.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>690787
kinda looks like this
>>
>>690792
Ok with pepperoni instead of bacon bits this makes way more sense.
>>
>>690783
You shelled out for money for a 40 dollar titanium pot, but not a proper, more safe 15 dollar burner?
>>
>>690792
Separated it makes way more sense too and looks pretty good
>>
>>690716
>>690722
Checkout Fatty McFatterson over here.
All jesting aside, that's a lot of extra packaging to be carrying around, not to mention a lot of sugary stuff, instead of complex carbohydrate-rich foods.
>>
>>690801
This was my cook system for a five month long trip. Worked every night. The ti pot was $30
>>690899
This was my diet for five months. I was about 20 lbs lighter by the end of it. When you hike 2000+ plus miles a rule of thumb is don't carry food that is less then 100 calories per oz.
>>
>>690755
>inb4 pemmican
>>
File: 4 days of food.jpg (114KB, 960x597px) Image search: [Google]
4 days of food.jpg
114KB, 960x597px
4 days here

I managed to eat everything except one of the sandwiches.

Sandwiches are salami and cheese on P28 protein bread.
>>
Gross. Why so much sugary shit food?
>>
>>692074
>Why so much sugary shit food?

Not OP but it's for energy.
Here's an interesting article about the food that Ann Bancroft and Liv Arnesen ate during their 2001 expedition across Antarctica. Lots of fat and lots of sugar...

http://www.yourexpedition.com/food-on-the-ice/
>>
>>690766
Are these things even any good? Like how do they compare? I work retail and I've stocked these before. They don't seem that appetizing.
>>
>>692127
Yup
>>692074
When I do multi day trips with 20 plus mile days I don't bring food that is less then 100 calories per oz. This is all very common backpacking food.
>>
>>692074

Calorie density is nice. I'd be willing to bet that nobody here actually does anything where that's really required though.
>>
it's not gross when you do twenty mile days for months

at some points during a thru hike several mcdonalds burgers or a half-gallon of ice cream begin to look very appetizing, especially if your metabolism is already quick to begin with
>>
My pack contains

small can of breakfast meat (fancy term for spam)
can of baked beans
small can of fruit salad
small can of tuna/sardine/other fish
pack of instant mash
pack of ramen
pack of dextro energy
couple packs of instant coffee
bodybuilding snackbar
soup stock cubes

muh sodium
>>
>>690716
for 2 nights i would just bring chunk of bacon a bread and water.
i think on the third night i would like to eat something else tho.
>>
What are some good websites that have info and recipes on backpacking and camping food?
>>
>>693415

hardtack.org is breddy gud
>>
Why is it so perfect bros?
>>
>>693474
It's not, but it's close. You don't get complete protein unless you eat it on bread or tortillas. Soy butter would be way better if not for the estrogen. Nutella is more calorie dense, and it's harder to get sick of chocolate, until you do.

I carry all three.
>>
>>693630

>you don't get complete protein unless you eat it on bread or tortillas

Explain?
>>
>>693630
Soy butter makes your tits grow and your balls shrink you tranny faggot
>>
Breakfast- Eggs, cured salame, coffee.

Lunch- packet tuna, green onion, garlic, can olives, mayo packets, tortillas

Dinner (first night)- frozen packet pre-cooked saugages and usually greens (collards, beet tops) green onions, garlic

Dinner second night- angel hair pasta, canned crab, just add water pesto packet, parm cheese.

Dinner 3rd night- tortillas, dehydrated refried beans,green onion, cheese, rehydrated beef jerky, and some cholula.

I figured out long ago that my body recovers better when I properly fuel up on long backpacking treks.

My meals change whether I am hiking to a single destination to set up camp for a few days or if I am thru hiking or whether I can hunt fish along the way.

Eggs usually replaced my oatmeal and seed mix if I am on the constant move. But I always eat like a King when it comes to supper.
>>
>>693707
Hunt/fish*
>>
File: salmon.jpg (21KB, 244x384px) Image search: [Google]
salmon.jpg
21KB, 244x384px
pack a couple of these, it'll put hair on your chest
>>
>>693635
Peanuts don't have a complete amino acid profile, but if you add a grain, it rounds it out. Pretty much any legume/grain combo works.

>>693646
No shit, that why I brought it up. You got dropped on your head a lot as a child, didn't you?
>>
>>690716

So... much... starch...

I couldn't do that man, starches make me sick to my stomach it I eat to much of them. I have never spent more than a night /out/, because I only get Sunday's off (I am in charge of morning feeding on Saturday at work, so I try get in, do my two hours early then go to the river when I go) I usually grab whatever is in the fridge for dinner and a can of corned beef hash + two biscuits for breakfast.

I usually put meat (usually bacon scrap) in the biscuits. Since I got my pupper I've been car camping exclusively, so it's easy to just bring a cooler now. It's not really /out/, but it's nice to sleep under the stars.

I even have a homemade tent that slides over the back of my truck with a clear roof so I can sleep in the rain.

Anyways, don't you get tired of your only meat being slim Jim's?
>>
Pemmican, hard tack, real aged cheese sealed in wax, honey, and fruit leather completely dried and vacuum sealed, and soup cubes. All these should last decades and are amazing survival and camping foods. You can use bacon grease and animal fat in place of butter for cooking on the trail.

Eating one pound of fruit leather is like eating 8-9 pounds of fruit. I'm not sure about pemmican, but it took the entire meat and fat of one full grown bison to fill a 50 pound bag, so it's incredibly energy dense.

Dehydrate everything and vacuum seal in Mylar, it'll last longer than military MREs.
>>
>>692137
imagine chef boyardee canned pasta then apply that to roast beef.
It's bulky low on calories at 400 or so a pack so i'd go ahead and pass on them for going /out/
>>
>>692137
Some are shitty but most are pretty good
They beat mres by a long shot. I would be lying if I said I would buy them for something other than backpacking. If you are going to pick up some to try my favorites are the chicken alfredo, mac and cheese (not great similar to a velveta mac and cheese but with lots of protein), surprisingly the biscuits and sausage gravy was good, and the chicken and dumplings was alright. I didn't like the breakfasty one so much.

>>694152
They aren't so bulky in my opinion. I never bothered checking the calorie count 1 of those plus some snack items is all that I need and heating is optional. Also it doesn't seem anything like you described but to each their own.
>>
File: IMG_20150725_093103.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150725_093103.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I usually bring cooked sausages for breakfast, canned food (spaghettios and canned raviolis, surprisingly, are my favorites) a few fresh bell peppers, an onion, garlic, canned fruit, hard cheese, French bread, and pitas or tortillas. Hummus, mayonnaise, hot sauce. Tea (I love coffee but it destroys my stomach) salami, and for the first couple of nights some type of steak. Usually have a cooler for my trips, and three days is the longest I've done in a while. Wrap everything in a tortilla/pita/bread with hot sauce and either mayo/hummus. Surprisingly tasty and filling without taking up a ton of weight or room. Tortilla chips are good too, but take up a ton of room. You haven't lived until you eaten the most perfectly cooked steak strips of your life in a pita with a bit of mayo, grilled sauteed bell pepper and onions, hot sauce, and cheddar with an AK slung across your lap. Bring a medium cast iron skillet. Foil. Boil water in the same can those peaches you just ate were in, and steep yourself some tea. This is for main base camp of course, I havent hiked in a while but usually do a can or two of food and keep the main stuff at camp, as there's always someone who is hanging out back at camp.

Pic related, last trip up to mendocino national forest, four days of sex and guns and red meat. My girl on the right being pissed that I'm taking a pic with her in it.
>>
>>694192
Your gf is huge you degenerate fuck
>>
>>690755
I use Alton Brown's jerky recipe and method.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-jerky-recipe.html
I use the box fan trick, but I just use paper towels instead of air condition filters, and I skip the liquid smoke.
It's great, I've used it several times, it's way better than any prepackaged jerky I've ever had, although, I do have Oberto bacon jerky in my haversack atm
>>
>>694305
Unnecessary comment.
>>
>>690716
Best camp food on earth is minestrone soup with some type of meat, preferably linguicia or chorizo but pepperoni, salami, etc will all work as well.
>>
File: image.png (158KB, 400x278px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
158KB, 400x278px
>>690766
I've prepared pic related a couple of times by dropping them into a pot of boiling hot water for 10 minutes. They're... uh... eatable. Costs just over 2 bucks per package.
>>
>>690760
>weed, short cigars
In the woods? .....really?
Smokey is very disappointed.
>>
>>692209
>twenty mile days
I don't get this as a big deal.
I walk 5 miles in AM before work.
I walk 4 miles at lunch
I walk another 5+ in the evening.

That's a normal day without counting shopping, or anything extra, and you're saying I'm only 6 miles away from being special?
>>
>>694415
Sure you do
>>
File: MRE.jpg (782KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
MRE.jpg
782KB, 2304x1728px
They do the job desu
>>
>>694415
that must be a long lunch break.

where do you work?
>>
>>692127
>>692153
>>692203

I hiked the appalachian trail for a week and didn't bring any junk food. You can say calorie density and energy all you want but the shitty food in OP's pic is simply unnecessary and outright unhealthy. I eat way better than that on my multi day trips, just sayin. If I ate the crap in OP's picture I imagine I'd just feel like shit all day...
>>
help a retard out. what is the fucking secret to cooking in tin foil? i am gosh darn tired of only using my potatoes for soup
>>
>>694427
>>694483
I'm not sure why you find this unbelievable. Wife and I hoof it every morning.
Lunch -15 minute miles. How difficult is that? Walk to a pond that is 1 mile away from office, 1 mile around, do that 2x, 1 mile back to office, 1 hour. Can eat/drink/be merry at desks while working.
Walk again at night after dinner.

I usually walk to work as well. That's about 1/2-3/4 as crow flies.

1 day/week I go in to the city with my kid and don't measure but iphone and 3DS both agree it's usually 9-12 miles.
>>
File: Canned Soup.jpg (34KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Canned Soup.jpg
34KB, 500x500px
>>690716

I love canned soup. People freak out when I tell them I eat them cold. Especially thick ones like goualash or pea soup are great.
When empty you can use the can as a little trash can.

The only thing might be the weight. Anyone other alternatives?
>>
>>694320
Doesn't make it less true anon if you are comparable you both need to get /fit/ you will live a better longer life
>>
>>694506
>canned soup
GOD TIER
>cold
NOPE NOPE
>>
File: lembas_bread.jpg (83KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
lembas_bread.jpg
83KB, 500x500px
For longer journeys I normally use Lembas bread. If you keep it in its original leaf wrappings, it'll stay fresh for months.

Failing that, I usually take some Cram, bread, various vegetables, hard cheeses, some Honey-Cake and Petty-Dwarf roots.
>>
>>690716
>>690722
>>692065
>eating that much in 3-5 days

Jesus christ, are you guys feeding a camp full of people?
>>
>>693790
That shit will put hair on your eyeballs
>>
>>694586
>Lembas bread
I thought they stopped importing this.
>>
>>693474
dunno
>smear it on dick
>get free bear blowjob
>>
File: IMG_20160221_222656.jpg (3MB, 3200x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160221_222656.jpg
3MB, 3200x2368px
This is my first time meal packing. By the nature of my trip, Day 1 doesn't require breakfast and day 4 doesnt require dinner. The summer sausage (1200 calories) will be split among the days.

All in all, I think it's:
Day 1 : 1400
Day 2 : 2400
Day 3 : 2240
Day 4 : 1300

(Minus summer sausage inclusion)
>>
File: IMG_20160221_223658.jpg (2MB, 3200x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160221_223658.jpg
2MB, 3200x2368px
>>694729
>>
Do you guys lose a significant amount of weight on 2-3 day hike? It would seem on 1500 kcal a day for 3 days, while hiking 8+ hours a day up and down mountains, you would come back down a few pounds. Right?
>>
>>694753
Nothing significant
>>
>>694586
want
>>
>>694607
I laughed way too hard at your shitty joke
>>
>>694192
Man, you should be the one being pissed. Now everyone knows you're fucking a fatty.
>>
>>694729

usinger's...good choice my man
>>
>>690755
I generally just throw some soy sauce, dark beer, smoked paprika, and ground black pepper together. Maybe a bit of brown sugar. It generally work extremely well.
>>
A can of beans per day, the rest you gotta find
>>
>>690766
Aren't these microwaved with no water added? How would you prepare these? Do you just cook them over a fire or something?
>>
>>695269
Not him, but maybe add booking water?? Idk. I saw them at the store but passed them up because the instructions only mention microwaving
>>
>>695289
Boiling*
>>
>>692137
i really enjoy the chicken Alfredo one with a little salt. I assume you could boil them in the package or put them in a mess kit and eat them up. they are really small tho i would want two for a meal in the woods.
>>
>>694913
you have no idea what they are capable of with their long soft tongues...
>>
>>695425

Can they lick the skin off your body to drink your blood like large cats?
>>
>>694753
The most I've ever most on a hike was 6 pounds, and that was after a week at philmont. Pretty sure it was all water weight.
>>
File: speck.jpg (166KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
speck.jpg
166KB, 800x534px
>>690716

Non processed European out food:

>boiled eggs in tinfoil
>crispbread
>1 big sausage (like Salami, but Austrian)
>chocolate bar
>1 big chunk of smoked "bacon" (pic related)
>homemade bag of nuts/dried fruits
>1 big stick of "Alp-cheese"
>butter
>pepper
>salt
>peanut butter
>a few small apples
>bag of cereal
>alot of soup packets (knorr)
>tea bags
>tuna in oil canned
>jar of olives + pickles + small onions
>knorr bouilons for emergencies
>>
>>696245
>presunto
mein negger
>>
File: simultaneously.gif (645KB, 480x180px) Image search: [Google]
simultaneously.gif
645KB, 480x180px
>>692137
slightly better than chef boyardee in my opinion. like dinty more stew quality.

so for /out/ i would say go for it
>>
>>695425
You're right sir, do not want to either... I bring my pooch and pb if I need trail loving that doesn't show up in the form or a dreadlocked hippy chick along the way...
>>
I break down MREs if I have any and pick and choose what parts to take, few packs of instant coffee and sugar, depended on how hot it is I may take eggs to cook the first morning, usually take a block of cheese, some tuna packets (unless I'm fishing along the way) jerky and dried fruits. I'll take small apples or pears for a sweet snack. If I can't get a hold of cheap MREs, I will take pasta or rice to boil and bouillon cubes and other assorted seasonings. I keep it simple and light weight. Usually fish and occasionally trap along the way so I generally have a warm meat at meals.
>>
File: mah man.gif (874KB, 273x415px) Image search: [Google]
mah man.gif
874KB, 273x415px
>>690750
>Lil debbie oatmeal cream pies
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
OP here. Going slightly healthier for this weekend trip. 2 nights 20 miles, won't be needing 10,000 calories.
>>
>>697390
>>Lil debbie oatmeal cream pies

a lotta times I'll cut apart my OCPs, scrape out the cream, then slather on some peanut butter and put 'em back together. it takes away that overpowering sweetness and adds more protein & fats. tastes better and better for you...
>>
>>697397
eh, i only eat them once or twice a year, so i just eat em as they come. they're nice if you put them in the refrigerator overnight to get nice and cool.
>>
File: IMG_20160227_202704107.jpg (715KB, 1632x918px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160227_202704107.jpg
715KB, 1632x918px
Some protein bars that I've made for my 3 days trip.
>>
>>696245
something like this, but with chili and onions
>>
>>698477
Looks like the shit I scrape off the underside of my mower deck.
>>
>>698504
rude desu
>>
>>698477
What's in these things?
>>
File: liver-in-fat.jpg (136KB, 894x632px) Image search: [Google]
liver-in-fat.jpg
136KB, 894x632px
>>698546
probably this: >>698504
>>
>>698546
Hazelnuts
Peanuts
Oats
Chocolate
Peanut butter
Honey
Cinnamon
Vanilla extract
Pitted dates
>>
>>690750
3 pop tarts, 3 oatmeal pies, 2 hot chocolate, 3 cliff bars.

holy fuck it must be hard to be obese and /out/ at the same time god damn
>>
>>698746
Posted by somebody who has never fueled an /out/ engine.
>>
>>698746
honestly it doesn't sound a lot to me
>>698948
i never noticed i would eat more if i moved a lot than if not. not that day at least.

thing is you can walk all day from the calorie content of 2 tiny cheeseburgers from mcdonalds. your body has a huge metabolic baseline. you need to do crazy training to make a dent on your normal calories.
>>
>>698592
I was expecting it to be pemmican. Anyone here ever read the Demon Accords series?
>>
Reading in a book earlier I got a list of staple foods that one should pick from. What do you guys think? Also, how good is defhydrated food on a backpacking trip? Is it worth it?
TRAIL FOODS
-Nuts and seeds
-Dried fruit
-Energy/fruit bars
-Breadstuffs (bagels, pita, rye chips)
-Trail mixes
-Jerky and salami
-Fruit leather

DINNER FOODS
-Pasta
-Rice
-Other grains (couscous, falafel)
-Legumes/beans
-Potatoes (dehydrated)
-Cheese (low fat and hard cheeses will last)
-Canned/smoked meats
-Soups and bases (miso, ramen, powdered soups)

BREAKFAST FOODS
-Cold cereals
-Hot cereals
-Pancake mix

BAKING MATERIALS
-Flour
-Cornmeal
-Butter

SPICES
-Basil
-Pepper
-Cayenne
-Cinnamon
-Cumin
-Curry
-Dill
-Garlic
-Mustard
-Salt
-Soy sauce
-Vinegar
>>
File: IMAG00480.jpg (1MB, 2048x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG00480.jpg
1MB, 2048x1520px
That's 9 days. Most I've carried and probably the most I would want to carry without a serious rethinking of food strategy or resupply. 10+ mile days with significant elevation gain.
>>
>>694192
This isn't going /out/ this is taking everything you own and sitting outside with it for a couple of hours, people like you are faggots.
Probably left trash all over the fucking place too.
>>
>>699320
Were you the guy that went to Patagonia?
>>
File: P2130605-Pano.jpg (4MB, 4359x2261px) Image search: [Google]
P2130605-Pano.jpg
4MB, 4359x2261px
>>699338
Yeah! Got back a couple days ago
>>
>>699340
I knew it. Why no thread about the trip though? Would love to read about it and see some pics, anon.
>>
>>698592
that's gonna be a nice sticky melted fucking mess real soon. have fun with that.

Protein bars are something you do not want to DIY.

Just mix all that shit up in a food processor and leave it in a jar. Eat a spoonful when you're hungry.
>>
>>699372
I usually hate making threads but I suppose I could!
>>
24 hr ration pack.
Based off of 3 Sopacko reduced sodium MRE's.
Has additional beef jerky packets.

Breakfast-1
2x2 pop tarts
1x entree
1x heater

Lunch- 2
4x jams/jellies
1x MRE crackers
2x Beef Jerky packets
3x tootsie rolls

Dinner- 3
2x entrees
1x2 pop tarts
1x heater.

~ 3000 calories each day
High in protein
High in carbs
Fuckton of sugar.

Will be replacing the 2x2 pop tarts from breakfast with granola bars.
Will be adding to, and replacing items in the Lunch for a better "On the go" lunch
>>
>>699498
In a gallon ziplock bag.
>>
File: WP_20160228_001.jpg (2MB, 3552x2000px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160228_001.jpg
2MB, 3552x2000px
2 days (+1 night) worth for me. le high speed le low drag
>>
>>699580
>That 1500 calories though.
That's not even a day.
>>
>>699581
I eat breakfast before I head out, and I'm not really worried about caloric intake as much as just keeping hunger down while /out/.
>>
>>699583
True, and it is still healthier than what I eat
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>694192
>>694305
>>694320
>>694531
Dude fuck off. At least anon has a gf. If they're happy that's awesome.
We all share an interest here so don't act salty because he's having more fun /out/ than you.

>>690716
Carrots
Homemade beef jerky
Homemade salad
Custom nut mix with homemade dried fruit
Vodka
>>
>>699902
Forgot pita bread
>>
>>699327

>mexican

Yeah, he definitely did.
>>
>>694586

Is this what the hobbits from Lord of the Rings were eating that one time while hiking through some mountains?
>>
>>694192

That looks like a pleasurable time
>>
>>694729
Wtf, how can anyone operate with that amount of calories? Can't even imagine not getting enough energy during hiking, must be hell.
>>
>>699902
Dried Kiwi??

wOw
>>
>>690716
I assume the green shit is olive oil.
>>
>>694192
>chubby is best
Nothing quite like having your chubby ladyfriend gargle your balls first thing in the morning.
>>
>>699320
the breakfast scramble is God's own mountainhouse breakfast. You should really try it.
>>
>>694473

Where do you buy those MRE's? What's a reliable website or store?
>>
>>701270
indeed

looks like a chill time anyway. as long as youre not fucking up the site or disturbing other campers , go wild
>>
File: IMG_20160228_154750.jpg (3MB, 4160x2336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160228_154750.jpg
3MB, 4160x2336px
Cant go wrong with these
>>
File: IMG_20160228_155931.jpg (3MB, 4160x2336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160228_155931.jpg
3MB, 4160x2336px
How it looks IRL
>>
>>694415
do this on rough terrain with elevation gain with 30-40 lbs packs, then get back to me.
>>
>>694192
Looks like a blast man

Those coleman tents are comfy as fuck.
>>
>>701270
Yeah. Id rather have a chill girlfriend that is a little chubby but not afraid to get freaky and have a good time than a hot girlfriend that wont even kiss me and never wants to go /out/

It's mainly millenials that have these unrealistic expectations of what love and companionship is. If you can score an /out/ hottie then good for you, but the majority of these high class bitches are boring as fuck.
>>
File: 1456514774022.gif (8KB, 500x180px) Image search: [Google]
1456514774022.gif
8KB, 500x180px
>cook Instant Noodles or whatever Instant Soup
>the fucking Sodium Enriched Sodium Stock leaves this fucking oily film/residue that won't come off pots/bowls
>porridge tastes like chicken for entire trip
>>
>>701270
>>701662
Agreed. Current GF is a little pudgy (still passes the wall test) and we have boned in Yosemite.
>>
>>694192
I like my women on the larger side, I bet with her clothes off she looks curvy and voluptuous as hell. Any more pics of her, anon?
Not sure if you're into this but I could rub one out to her easily.
>>
>>701638
I did 70 miles in a day in rough terrain with a 90lb pack. In fact, I've done ot a couple times.

Granted, they were with 80 other men, and the definition of 'day' was 24 hours, but still.
Force marches suck.
>>
>>701904
no you didnt
>>
>>699978
>>694586
>>694771
You can make it yourself at home. I found a recipe for it online. It's essentially a scone like bread. Very sweet, very cinnamon tasting, adding walnuts is also a bonus. Great of the trails or when watching LotR at home. Or for a DnD group.
>>
>>690788

Even in the middle of fucking nowhere, wilderness elitist faggots lurk to judge those they deem unworthy.
>>
>>693707

How do you figure out what your calorie intake needs to be? I lost 25kg a while ago and so I'm paranoid about putting on weight again. It'd be good to know what to aim for in terms of intake.
>>
File: RIMG0130.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
RIMG0130.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>diy ul meals for 14+ days in Iceland
>>
File: RIMG0133.jpg (3MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
RIMG0133.jpg
3MB, 3648x2736px
>>704002
>add tea, sugar, salt, oil, spices, chewing gum, tons of snickers and granola bars, bag of almonds, hardfiskur and icelandic rye bread
>add a bottle of scotch
>>
>>694192

>Fatty fucker

Not surprised, given the amount of food you bring /out/
>>
>>694753

It would seem so, but weight loss isn't straight up math. Your body is complex, and the calorie deficiency needs to be sustained before you will see the effects. For example, if you don't eat at all for 24 hours, you're not automatically X kilos lighter the next day.

If you come back from your hike and then eat back the deficiency then you're not going to lose weight. Think of your body as a sustained and complex chemical reaction, not a machine where input is exactly matched to output.
>>
>>699902

Dude dude dude... did you not PEEL the kiwi first?
>>
>>701904

Lel nope
>>
Anyone else take cans? I know that they're generally too heavy, but cracking open some baked beans for lunch is just tops.
>>
3 days, no cooking, cold weather

>3 pb+js on rye
>2 whole wheat cheese cracker sammich packs
>6 granola bars
>2 baggies jerky
>beef sausage log
>baby bel cheese
>dried apricots and cranberries
>1 instant potatoes divided in 2
>1 protein drink in cardboard carton (condensable)
>cookies
>4 packs instant oatz (fancy high protein and fiber brand)
>>
>>692361
Are you Russian?
>>
Can I bring those packets of butter that you get from restaurants with me despite no refrigeration? Seems like it would make pasta + some pouch meals excellent
>>
>>704478
>packets of butter that you get from restaurants?

Never tried that but olive oil is good on pasta / bread etc plus it requires no refrigeration. It can also be infused with spices & herbs to add flavor without having to carry additional items.
>>
>not making your own 5-pound bags of trail mix
soggy doggy senpai
>>
>>704016
>he doesnt eat the kiwi skin
Wasteful
It's delicious
>>
>>704016
>peeling kiwis
Monster
>>
I like to trap and catch my own food. Usually bring some snare traps and a fishing pole (camp in Michigan). I will bring a box of protein bars and/or beef jerky in case of emergencies. Also keep a gallon of water as well. I take my 4-wheeler everywhere.
>>
>>704802
>>704816
>likes munching on hairy brown balls
>>
>>694506
What soups do you guys like? My personal favorite soup to date still remains cream of mushroom
>>
>>701447
what are these??
>>
>>699376
Not really that tough to DIY, I think that other guy just used a weird recipe. Here's a good one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/good-eats-protein-bars-0231414.html
Nutritional facts ~3:20
>>
>>704478
Yeah they will be fine
>>
I buy ground beef when it's on sale and make jerky out of it. Usually carry a pound or two of it on a week long fishing trip. I also bring bags of skittles and M&Ms for sugar, and a bag of carrots. I don't bring anything else. Nuts and grainy snacks like protein bars makes me thirsty.
>>
>>694500

> wrap in tin foil
> throw that shit near fire or into hot ash etc.
> wait

Thats all, I highly suggest trial and error buddy
>>
>>702291

Where did you find the recipie?
>>
>>692065
Chili mac is love, chili mac is life.
>>
>>694531
Jesus christ, you're as bad as a vegan.
>>
>>694398
Smokey himself does more damage to forests than actual smokers
>>
>>706307
> 2 1/2 cups of flour
> 1 tablespoon of baking powder
> 1/4 teaspoon of salt
> 8 tablespoons of cold butter (1 stick)
> 1/3 cup of brown sugar
> 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup/honey
> 2/3 cup of milk/heavy cream (or more, if necessary)
> 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

1) Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celcius (425 degrees Fahrenheit).
2) Mix the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
3) Add the butter and mix with a fork or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles fine granules.
4) Add the sugar and cinnamon, and mix them thoroughly into the mixture.
5) Add the milk/cream and vanilla and stir them in with a fork until a nice, thick dough forms.
6) Roll the dough out about 1/2 in thickness.
7) Cut out 3-inch squares and transfer the dough to a cookie sheet.
8) Criss-cross (DO NOT cut all the way) each square from corner-to-corner with a knife.
9) Bake for about 12 minutes or more (depending on the thickness of the bread) until it is set and lightly golden.

I add a bit more sugar, a bit more cinnamon and I do 1/2 teaspoon of maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon of honey, usually a little more than what they recommend, and then throw in some walnuts, pecans, and almonds chopped up.
>>
Does anyone know how long cheddar is good for on the trail? I see people say they bring hard cheese but that's only the chalk like parmesan right?
>>
>>707781
put it in a plastic ziplock bag, it will last a little longer and not dry up into a brick. But keep it n a cooler or shady location. I love trail cheese.
>>
>>690722
This just reminds me of prison food. The commissary stuff. Add the slim jims and some of those crushed cheese crackers to the Ramen and make some goofy mac n cheese.
>>
>>707836
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_2gzk8Z54c
>>
>>693455
>hardtack

It's time to let this meme die because it's way too bulky to use backpacking. For the size of one meals worth you could be carrying a couple days worth of dehydrated vegetables and some Ramen noodles. Both of those things can be eaten dry if cooking's not an option and they're infinitely more tasty.
>>
>>706994
This. Mountain house chili Mac is the only packaged dehydrated food I bring along anymore. Because it's fucking delicious.
>>
>>694192
I love how you guys don't realize how much warmer Anon probably is when cuddling with his girlfriend while /OUT/. Or maybe they're just jealous?

That said, she's cute.
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 600x530px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 600x530px
>>709840
>she's cute

Yeah, but lookit that nasty cigarette in her hand.

gross.png
>>
>>707687
FUCK yes
>>
>>709874
https://youtu.be/MHZXf5NdYf8
>>
>>690716
Add some of these fellers..
http://www.walmart.com/ip/S.O.S.-Survival-Food-Bars-3600-Calories/33697786
>>
>>694118
I have a dehydrator/food saver vacuum sealer and it's boss for making my meals.

For my first meals I will make a really thick soup and reduce it until most of the water is gone. Then seal and freeze. Basically turns into a giant soup ice cube that I can melt in my cooking pot. But it melts slowly so I eat that my first night.

I make dry soups from combining home made jerky, blended into a powder. Then add instant rice into the bag, dry corn, and split pea. Vacuum seal that and then combine with boiling water at time of meal.

Apple sauce is my favorite fruit leather right now. I buy the kind with HFCS because fuck it an entire 1lb jar is 500 calories and when dehydrated you can eat that in 5 bites.

I also make my own protein bars with bulk granola, wheat, oats, and then s cheap trail mix (for nuts, raisins and m&Ms). Combine with water in a mixer then dehydrate to thicken, then cut into bars and seal.
>>
>>694192
I'm glad you're having fun but your gf is a literal 1/10 for me. I hope you keep improving yourself because there are so many better options out there
>>
10 pounds rice. Salt. Hot spices. Garlic. Vitamin C supplement for 6 months. Fishing pole + extra line and hooks. Ruger 10/22 with 500 rounds. Heavy duty 1 and 5 gallon sealable plastic bags.

6 months worth of food during your camping trip. All in your backpack.
>>
>>711597

How do you expect to get any nutrition without eating vegetables/fruit?
>>
>>711612
You dont need fruits or vegetables.
>>
File: 1454460836571.jpg (118KB, 406x364px) Image search: [Google]
1454460836571.jpg
118KB, 406x364px
>>690722
>>694729
>>699580

>ramen
>>
>>698948
>>698956
You ate 2000 kcals of sugar in a meal. Even if you're walking all day this it's still completely unnecessary my diabetic friend. You're using hiking as an excuse to eat like a pig and that's disgusting desu
>>
>>711597
Can you get .22LR in your area reliably enough that you can count on it being in your loadout every time?
>>
>>712686
thru hikers often eat 4000+ calories a day and still loose weight over the course of a season. try actually exerting yourself for weeks at a time, your body's reserves only last for so long
>>
>>712686
Hiking for 10 hours will burn approx. 5000Kcals, depending on your weight and other stuff.

So yeah, you can eat a looot of cals. If you can avoid eating too much suger it's better, but sadly the only cheap way to eat a huge amount of callories are to eat stuff with a lot of sugar.
>>
>>712691
I have never not been able to find 500 rounds for 14.95 buddy
>>
File: .gif (5MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
.gif
5MB, 480x270px
>>712165
Ramen has one of the best caloric densities of any dry food at ~127kcal/oz. The only thing that tops that are nuts or cake frosting, both ~160/oz.

Don't knock the ramen bruh.
>>
File: 32.jpg (28KB, 390x310px) Image search: [Google]
32.jpg
28KB, 390x310px
>>694192
Are you trying to brag about your disgusting fat girlfriend?
>>
>>712156
How come?
>>
>>699902
Why on earth are you packing glass /out/?

Wtf is wrong with you son?
>>
>>713300
You should be educated on what you are supposed to be able to eat in whatever region you are in. That with a large supply of small dosed vitamin c supplementation and you will be perfectly fine. The supplement is enough, and you really don't even need that. I was toally fine eating nothing but fish and squirrels. But, these days I think it would make a reasonable addition for people that feel bad effects when they don't get those nutrients.
>>
>>690716
>cabot extra sharp
My nigga

But where's the slices of sandwich pepperoni/salami?
>>
>>690716
I can describe my typical trail snacks.

Individually wrapped blocks of cheddar (~40)
.5 lb of sandwich pepperoni
.5 lb of genoa salami
Slim jims (~50)
Granola bars (chewy and crunchy) (10-15)
String cheese(~20)
Starburst

This was for like 4 days when I was a scout.
>>
File: photo-13.jpg (114KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
photo-13.jpg
114KB, 600x800px
How long does bacon last while /out/?
>>
>>713900
Cook it 75% of the way, salt it, then seal it in a bag or whatever. It will last a few days.

Alternatively you could cook it and dehydrate it to make your bacon last forever.
>>
>>713907
Or cut out the middle man and buy bacon bits. I'm sure someone will give me shit but whatever.
>>
>>712686
where do you fit your roast chicken with the dressings?
>>
>>713900
around me? about 4 seconds ':P
>>
>>712775
>Hiking for 10 hours will burn approx. 5000Kcals
how could you be so out of touch?

>>714086
>pop tarts are the only calorie dense food
stop embarrassing yourself
>>
>>714095
>implying that hiking for hours at a time doesn't burn many more Calories than everyday life
How could you be so out of touch?
>>
>>714256
Shitposting aside (which, as an aside, isn't it getting awfully toxic around here these days? I used to come to this board to get away from the kind of negativity which is most common here now)
I think anon means that you are out of touch because there are many more factors at play.

For example, weight of gear, height/weight of hiker, temp outside, elevation change (uphill/downhill, steepness etc.) and pace (how many miles in how many hours?) which effect this number, which is literally impossible to correctly calculate. I think your figure makes sense, but it really depends on all those factors. A skinny girl with ultralight gear hiking in GA lowcountry at a 1mph pace in the springtime wouldn't burn 5k kcal in a day bro.
>>
>>714273
>A skinny girl with ~ yadda yadda ~ wouldn't burn 5k kcal in a day bro.

Yes, 5K calories in a day is at the upper end of physical activity. What a lotta anons don't understand though is that eating healthy only satisfies long term goals for your body, i.e. getting in shape. When you are involved in strenuous activity, you need one thing - fuel. The best fuel for your body is simple carbs which are quickly and easily digested. Anybody wanna guess what an ideal source of simple carbs is?

It's sugar...
>>
>>714412
>>714273

The thing is that a lot of hikers don't need to recuperate those 5k (I know it's an example) beacuse they are already at 20% or more body fat; so you don't aim at a 5k intake, you are safe with much less, as long as you are hydrated and eating the normal amount of calories needed, which are allways in the neighbourhood of 2k.

So to all the anons that are not actually climbing the k2, doing trail running or doing a serious traverse, don't use the trail as an excuse to eat like pigs, because you are not. Pigs stay at home playing vidya, drinking soda, and shitposting on shitty boards.
>>
>>714412
>>714423
Yeah. It has a lot to do with the individual and activity level. I used to eat 3-4k on the regular (two lunches, two dinners) and never gained weight. That was 5 years ago, nous I don't eat nearly add much and I'm not quite as in shape physically, despite weighing the same. It takes energy to maintain a fit body, it takes less to maintain a fat body. I don't understand how many people think 2000 calories is so common. I mean power lifters and body builders go through 5k a day for maintenance.
>>
>>694192
Mendocino is awesome. After I finish college I will be moving to Humboldt county, probably Eureka. Also next time don't post a pic of your GF unless you enjoy the negative comments from virgins. I think she looks pretty good and her breasts are enormous--how is her ass? I bet that it is nice and juicy.
>>
>>693799
>Peanuts don't have a complete amino acid profile, but if you add a grain, it rounds it out. Pretty much any legume/grain combo works.

go say this in /fit/. For the record, what you're saying is ridiculous. I hope you're trolling.
>>
>>704039
you just eat the oats and potatoes raw?
>>
>>713900
>not using superior Salt Pork
>>
>>696245
Crispbread is the bomb for long hikes.
>>
>>694500
slice/chop up the potatos. season and oil them (both are optional), place piece of tin foil down. put potato on top of tin foil. Either wrap it so the thing is closed on itself or layer another piece of tin foil on top of potatos and seal the edges so its air tight. throw onto fire and recover when you think its done.

For a baked potato, stab potato with fork or knife in multiple places, rub the entire potato down with oil, then salt it, then wrap the entire potato in foil and throw it into the fire. recover when you think its done.
>>
>>714412
refined sugars are horrible for your body and are only useful when you have physically depleted all your glycogen. we're talking, end of the trail, you are about to pass out because you are entirely depleted of energy and you need one last burst to finish.

Refined sugars are technically a high energy, calorie dense product. But using it is like putting Diesel fuel in a regular car engine. Our bodies are not designed to use it efficiently and ultimately it harms us in the long run no matter how fit you are.
>>
>>693799
You do not need to eat a "complete protein" in a single sitting. That myth was debunked forever ago. Like most bro-science, it persists.
>>
>>716599
You are completely wrong.

Maybe do some reading on the subject instead of talking out of your ass.
>>
Don't now if anyone here tried pozol (Mexican/Mayan drink) but I'm gonna try make a simplified form of it, just mixing corn flour and cacao and maybe some sugar. You can mix it and add it in powder form to water or make dough balls of it ready to use, The dough balls should start the fermentation process add extra nutrients/bacteria.

>Because it does not go bad easily, pozol cornballs have been used by various groups as provisions for their long journeys through the jungle. Besides its use as food, the drink Has also been used as medicine and for religious ceremonies.

https://vimeo.com/137630436
>>
>>716668
Tamales were also used by mesoamerican warrior and pochteca (traveling warrior-traders/merchants) when marching or traveling great distances. These foods last long and are easy to make on the fly, food of warriors anons.
>>
File: rtmap_trade.jpg (67KB, 417x481px) Image search: [Google]
rtmap_trade.jpg
67KB, 417x481px
>>717795
Pic related.
>>
>>717795
>Tamales ~ are easy to make on the fly,

You've never made tamales, have you? They are VERY time consuming to put together and then require 45 minutes in the steamer. - ex wife is Mexican.
>>
>>704024
Fuckin ausfag.

Nah but seriously you're right. Nothing better than hiking for hours on end, setting up camp and munching on spam and beans for tea. Fuckin beauty.
>>
Various jerkies I buy from a hunter family friend
Lots of campbells soup (Cream of broccoli is so comfy outside)
A jar of pickles or pickled hot peppers
Lots of tea
Ramen cups sometimes, normally Shin Rameun Black
Trail mix
Normally a small wheel of Brie or Camembert cheese (Warning: Only good for about a week outside of the fridge)
Crackers
Some sort of smoked sausage or cured meat
Peanut butter
Strawberry jam
Blackberry syrup
Pancake mix that only requires water to be added

>>695269
>>695289

Normally stuff like that has a plastic film over the container

You're supposed to pierce the film with a fork and microwave it, and the excess ice in the container steams the food
>>
>>698746
>>698956
HOLY FUCK HIS NEXT MEAL ISN'T SHIT COMPARED TO BREAKFAST.

You're a fucking idiot. Without eating you run out of energy after running about 15-18 miles. You HAVE to fuel your body to keep it going, and everyone requires a different amount of fuel. If you're not gaining weight you're not over eating. Refine sugar aside, he's not eating an unusual amount of food for that amount of activity.

Oh, perhaps YOU can walk all day on 2 burgers from mickey D's because you're a manlet, but for those of us who burn real calories every day, I'll stick with my massive bag of trail snacks and 4-5k in calories a day on the trail.
>>
>>718018

>Que Ignorancia
>El Pobre..
If made in small bulk (30-50+ ) - mixing the masa and mole by hand then shreding meat/application yeah, but for an individual making a handful it is fairly quick. Making large quanties for an small army it is also a quick and easy ration for a troop on a 4-6 hour overnight encampment (with pre-mixed masa ).
The way your ex-wife does it (and learnt) is the slow way mostly likely, that way is more for the social exchange for doñas to chatch up and to also establish new friendships/bonds when making tamales.You'd be surprised how fast they came be made and cooked.
>>
>>697393
Slightly healthier? Most of this shit is highly processed and straight carbs. The only thing I see worth taking are the nuts and potatoes.
>>
File: mi_tamale_steamer.jpg (721KB, 1791x2209px) Image search: [Google]
mi_tamale_steamer.jpg
721KB, 1791x2209px
>>718241

>Pendejo

I'm convinced that you've never actually made tamales...

>for an individual making a handful it is fairly quick.

It takes just as long to cook 1 tamale as it does a whole steamer full - about 45 minutes. That is a LONG time and a huge energy investment just to make an /out/ meal. The numerous steps involved in getting them ready to steam also take an inordinate amount of time and equipment whether preparing 1, 30 or 200.

You need:
1) a container and potable water to soak your corn husks.
2) a cooking vessel to prepare your filling (chicken, beef or pork plus sauce, veggies & spices)
3) a container to mix your masa (maseca, lard, baking powder, salt & chicken broth)
4) a clean flat surface on which to put them together
5) a steamer to cook them in + plenty of water
6) a heat source capable of keeping the water at a continuous boil for an hour

This is doable for car & canoe campers but backpackers can't carry all that shit and aren't going to go to all that work just to prepare a meal.

>Making large quanties ~ army ~ is also a quick and easy with pre-mixed masa

First of all pre-mixed masa MUST be refrigerated or it will quickly sour and by quickly I mean in just a few hours. Also do armies routinely carry multiple large steamers along on an overnight encampment? Who is going to roll the tamales?

>The way your ex-wife does it is the slow way
>You'd be surprised how fast they came be made and cooked.

Ok, surprise me with your quick and easy way of doing it

>that way is ~ for the social exchange for doñas to chatch up and ~ establish new friendships/bonds

The reason tamale making is a social activity is because IT TAKES SO MUCH DAMN TIME AND EFFORT TO MAKE THEM that you need your friends to help and you're gonna have lots of time to talk while doing it.

I have personally made HUNDREDS of tamales (my hands IN the masa), I've watched my ex-wife of 12 years (& her friends) make well over 2 thousand more.

pic - my tamale steamer
>>
>>694192
>"/out/"
>>
>>701904
So how was Delta?

Or are you full of shit....
>>
>>694753
I'm pretty much dead if I do
>>
>>694192
You forgot the personal chef.
>>
>>692065
there was a recent thread about mountain house
where i was pro mountain house, but after seeing the price at a local outfitters this past weekend...Damn.
i would only consider this for trips where weight is top concern(8 days or more).
>>
>>720451
MH meals (or freeze dried in general) are rather expensive but it's advantages aren't just about weight, there's also the ease of preparation, the fact that it doesn't require a bowl or plate to eat from (and no clean up) plus the finished product tastes pretty damn good. It's also quite difficult to screw up a freeze dried meal. All things considered, they are still expensive but probably worth the cost.
>>
>>720494

Yeah, and a good rainy day meal. A good, hot meal that's easy to cook sure beats another tortilla with peanut butter and granola when you are stuck in your tent and start to feel that damp chill sneak into you
>>
>>690716
I have been thinking of doing diy ration packs, and was wanting to throw knorr rice or idahon potatoes in it. Has anyone trying cooking it in the bags they come in with boiling water?
>>
>>694388
You can eat them cold, too, if you want. Thanks for posting that you put them in pot of boiling water, When I saw these at walmart, it had me curious for a /out/ing.
>>
>>692065
this is a proper loadout.
OP is autistic for carrying so much candy
>>
>>720699
>eat them cold, too, if you want

They're MUCH better warm... I ate a pack of the penne pasta in creamy tomato sauce last weekend on a canoe trip and didn't give it enough boiling time. It wasn't entirely pleasant. It also heats a lot more evenly if you take the bag out of the boiling water about halfway thru and knead it to mix up the contents.
>>
>>720698
From experience, the potatoes cook fine in the bags, the plastic holds up well against boiling water. You will definitely want something like an empty peanut butter jar or insulated sleeve to support the bag while you rehydrate the spuds. The bag gets boiling hot, and the steam shoots straight out the bag, I don't want you to drop your food like I did !
>>
>>720740
Good to know, if I use peanut butter jar, would I need to put something inside/outside of it for better insulation or would that be sufficient?
>>
>>704934
You would know.
>>
File: IMG_9912.jpg (117KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9912.jpg
117KB, 576x1024px
>>
File: backpackerkit.jpg (356KB, 750x591px) Image search: [Google]
backpackerkit.jpg
356KB, 750x591px
Thoughts? Friend made some really good soups with it
>>
>>694597
Yes, one-man camp full of huge people.
>>
>>721675
Looks like it might be worth a shot. Kinda expensive though - The kit you pictured is $53 including shipping - about the price of 11 Mountain House meals (single serving size) but it doesn't appear to contain as much food plus there's no meat, sauce etc. They have lots of other freeze dried variety packs and single items on their website.

http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com
>>
>>704478
It's margarine, so yes
>>
>>711597
why do people think that carrying a fishing pole and/or a rifle guarantees them a limitless food supply?
>>
>>722338
>why do people think that carrying a fishing pole and/or a rifle guarantees them a limitless food supply?

Because they are inexperienced fools..
>>
>>722376
Yeah, if they knew what they were doing they'd be using snares.
>>
>>722338
Heh, taking a .22 guarantees me food until I run out of rounds, do you not have rabbits and other small game around you?
Fishing is a bit more up and down but it's a better bet you'll be eating than snaring.

>>722331
Interesting, where I live they're butter.
>>
>>721675
>>721696
Shill pls go
>>
The food I take depends on the trail and time of year.

I take more eat cold foods, hard sausage, nuts, fruit, cheese in the warm months and eat hot foods, soups, freeze dried, canned in the cold months.
I will select lighter weight foods in hill country and cans or packed foods in flat lands.

I always have a hand line to catch fish with and if I take a days break I'll set a snare it twelve.
>>
>>716646
Who said one sitting?

I just said you need all essential amino acids, which can be acquired by consuming both legumes and grains.

For the record, I don't know what the overlap is supposed to be, but I believe I read somewhere that it was around 24 hours. It does raise the question though, that because during a high endurance activity the body will break down anything it can for fuel, that those amino acids may not still be there a shorter time later on a thru hike than while home.
>>
I feel like most people are bringing wet foods instead of dry and also you're not making a single one...
what the hell ?
>>
>>725974
>/out
>for people who never go out
>>
>>690792
Yo I'd fucking eat that.
>>
I only get to do two nights at most so I'll wrap a potato in foil for that nights dinner. I'll throw some lentils in the pot and season it to taste. And maybe put some of the potato in there. For the trail and lunch I'll usually do an apple or orange with sunflowers and jerky with a couple carrots and whatever candy bar I brought that day. And the next night I'll usually do a lentil packet with some naan and a potato.

I like cooking and I don't get to do it much over a fire so it can either be really miserable or come out better than expected. That's half the fun for me. It's an adventure. It's not all supposed to go perfectly.
>>
File: skeleton-run-w.gif (52KB, 80x179px) Image search: [Google]
skeleton-run-w.gif
52KB, 80x179px
>>699580
>you on the second day
Thread posts: 262
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.