[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

YouTube Personalities...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

What do the sc/out/doorsmen think of YouTube personalities? I've seen some Ray Mears, Living Survival, Survival Lilly and PreparedMind101 stuff posted here in the past and just recently began wondering who /out/ takes seriously and who they shun. Who do you watch? Who do you shun? Image unrelated.
>>
>>683136
>personalities?
you talk about commerical driven weabooos ... ?
+"gear review" spammers.. ´?
>>
>>683139
Don't limit yourself to the names I mentioned. Who do you really like/dislike watching on YT? I personally like https://www.youtube.com/user/BlackOwlOutdoors, they do a bit of everything. They even have a pretty 2-part episode on making firestarters at home.

"Welcome to Black Owl Outdoors official YouTube page. We shoot all of our HD videos in the great outdoors and our topics vary with our interests. We do bushcraft type stuff. We talk about plants. We talk about rocks. We talk about water. We talk about animals. We talk about places..."
>>
>>683142
I'm a youtube fag and follow way too much people than I should.
Mcqbushcraft
Dave Canterbury
Aaron
Joe robinet
But nowdays manny of the channels are you too much towards to gear reviews and shilling. Companies sends them lots of free money just so them can post a video at new gear on ytb. A big chanel is a win-win situation.
We're talking about people with 30k, 50k, 100k, 200k 300k subscribers. You can live out of YouTube revenue.
>>
>>683142
Everything they do is very professional but it's something missing, like it's kinda boring.
I'd like to see them make longer shows, like 40-60min and combine fancy outdoor filming with segments of reviews, food cooking and tips & tricks.
>>
I like AlfieAesthetics. Pretty good Fungus/Plant info and generally pleasant and fun to watch.
>>
>>683170
I agree with that. I wish more of the guys who did what they did took it the extra step. I'd love to see Living Survival take an actual camping trip and film it.
>>683187
I'm not familiar with that name. I'll check that out, ty.
>>
Reallybigmonkey1 is godtier
>>
mcqbushcraft, joerobinet, alfie, taromovies, survival russia, burleyoutdoors and doug outside are some that still make comfy and quality videos. the rest has become a channel for shilling like lilly for example
>>
>>683165
OH really what's your YT channel?
>>
>>683136
Survival lily is kind of shit, she's must filming in her cousin's backyard and it seems like she copies a lot of other peoples content instead of being original
>>
>>683136
>What do the sc/out/doorsmen think of YouTube personalities?
There are plenty of threads here about them since most of /out/ stays at home
Many are shilling for subs
Some are even more pathetic;
>tell me what to watch /out/
>>
All i watch is Karamat wilderness ways, virtuovice and Alfie. But i absolutely despise the bushcraft dude and survival lily
>>
Sigma 3 Survival School has alot of older informative videos on trapping and shelter building.
>>
>>683139

This. So much this.

It's absolutely baffling how most people cannot discern between an actual channel with content and these product marketers and backyard "survivalists"

The "survival" thing is a BRAND designed to SELL products.

Ray Mears pioneered it with the "bushcraft" thing, but at least that label has content and actual interesting stuff.
>>
>>683136

I absolutely despise them.

Ray Mears I love, but he made it big with TV. I love him because not only is he skilled af, but he also has no ego and his programs are not about himself or how cool he is, but rather getting in touch with the natives.

Alfie Aesthetics is not bad, a bit 4chan/reddit for my taste, but useful info.

The survival community is cancer. Also notice almost NONE of them are fit and in actual physical shape.

They're just marketers of products by companies.
>>
>>683136
For me I like:

The Sgt Fruitcake
Ray Mears
Canadian Prepper

In saying that I don't try to learn any hidden survival skills from youtube. I like watching these people when I'm sleepy for entertainment. Books are your best bet for learning skills and from there just try them out. I recommend downloading survival manuals from a torrent site and going though those to pick up some skills.
>>
MCQ bushcraft
Alfie Aesthetics

those are the only two popular channels that will actually teach you anything/give you good ideas for kit.

living survival is literally just a fat guy camping and talking about his expensive gear.
>>
Fire and Steel. Two Norwegian guys mostly reviewing knives and some other gear, rambling and keeping it real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVyfqbcOLwk
>>
>>683136
>preparedmind101
I thought I used to like this guy then I realized what the fuck survival related activities does he do? Nothing. All he does is obsess over gear. He's like nutn fancy but doesn't ever go /out/, except his back yard
>>
>>685807
are they brothers?
>>
Doug Outside is my favorite, Mcq bushcraft is cool, Joe Robinet is cool but has some annoying moments when he shill so hard for fucking Fjallraven and I don't even think he gets payed for that, I think he is just trying really hard to get noticed by them, which is ok but ffs. Alfie is alright but also doesn't sit well with me, can't say he's idiot thou, he knows his shit.
Black Owl has some cool videos but some of them are damn hipster af, and what the fuck is with that "Hi turtles" , and who the fuck is called Krik. Wtf.
Fire and Steel is cool, but too many knife videos tho.
However, seeing stuff on yt can be usefull but if you don't go out and do it there is no point.
>>
>>685832
>Joe Robinet is cool but has some annoying moments when he shill so hard for fucking Fjallraven
Kekek I didn't know if you said that after seeing is last uploaded video, but if not you'll have an heart attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmiB5gKBUBc
>>
>>683136
Primitive Technology is top notch

>Doesn't speak.
>He's fit.
>Doesn't shill.
>Doesn't look like a faggot.
>You can understand everything he's doing even if you're not an english speaker.
>>
>>685365
I kind of like Sgt Fruitcake. He's a big Snugpak fan, got me into a few of snugpaks products.
>>
SHUGEMERY
H
U
G

He's a bit cheesy, but kind of grows on you, he's a wealth of hammock knowledge, but makes lots of videos of his hikes and trips. They're surprisingly watchable.
>>
>>683434
and she must work for thrunite the amount of shit she shills
>>
>>685877
this
>>
>>685877

Seconded.

Also not exactly out related but I have seen slingshots discussed here before. This youtube channel is about everything slingshots, the guy makes great vids.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave
>>
>>685934
>let me show you it's features
>HAHAHAHA
He's quite entertaining. Not really that practical but fun to watch for sure
>>
>>685901
Yeah hes a Snugpak fanboy but has a heart of gold. I just love how down to earth he his.
>>
Alfie is a good laugh to watch, he makes shouting obscenities into the woods almost normal.

I'm convinced he lurks as well, I keep waiting for him to reference them dank /out/ memes
>>
>>683205
I can't get past his Huckleberry Hound-like voice
https://youtu.be/D89GXGKD2I8
>>
>>685807
Are they hipsters/lumbersexuals?
>>
>>685822
>He's like nutn fancy but doesn't ever go /out/, except his back yard
I think I watched a video about him camping under a tarp in a rain, once.

>All he does is obsess over gear.
There's nothing wrong with gear obsession.
>>
>>685877
He's a living proof that you can get audience (almost 700 000 subscribers) with quality content.
>>
File: fenriz.jpg (52KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
fenriz.jpg
52KB, 600x398px
>>685826
I don't think so.

>>686159
No, just your ordinary Scandinavian hiking metal punk.
>>
how do i develop a youtube personality?
ideas for a outdoors/bushcraft themed channel logo?

any ideas for unique twists?
>>
>>686237
>just your ordinary Scandinavian hiking metal punk.
Thanks. Just decided to watch one of their videos and they're definitely not fags. Really, thanks a lot! Good YT channels are hard to find.
>>
>>686162
>nothing wrong with gear obsession
Yea there is if all you have is gear and no skills. For example, Dave Canterbury with a $15 mora is more capable that PM101 with his several hundred dollars LT Wright.
>>
>>685854
I got the notification on my phone about that episode just as I was starting to write that post lol.
>>
>>685904
Woo buddy!
>>
PHARRAOH
Andy Timinsky
Revhiker
Dave collins
HannuYK
InspireAson
Jacob zeich
Paul kirtley
Fell wanderer
>>
>>685854

is this nigga on crack?
>>
>>683136

I recommend Kevin Callan. Not for everyone as he's a little quirky but I like him.

I also watch Joe Robinet a bit

Mostly these to because they give great regional advice (Ontario) also because their videos aren't just sperging about gear ALLL of the time not that they don't do that.

Its nice just to watch people enjoy being out when I don't have the luxury to do so as much as I'd like.
>>
File: 13453457657.jpg (54KB, 601x601px) Image search: [Google]
13453457657.jpg
54KB, 601x601px
Geocaching. Not too in to it myself but the videos and narration are comfy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-K5DbYu_Tk
>>
>>686833
>Revhiker
kind of went to shit with his past few months videos
>>
AlfieAesthetics is my favorite 10/10 wish he'd upload regularly again
Taromovies Swiss Bushcraft and Survival is quality video
>>
>>688181
>AlfieAesthetics
I forgot about this dude. 10/10 agreed. Good stuff and production. Is there anyone like him or is he GOAT?
>>
Isn't there an official /out/ channel with links to all this stuff? Or a playlist?
>>
>>685365
>downloading survival manuals from a torrent site

Any suggestions for particular manuals? Thinking about buying the SAS Handbook by Lofty Wiseman
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.