[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Doomsday Prepping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 19

File: Doomsday-prepper.jpg (54KB, 650x481px) Image search: [Google]
Doomsday-prepper.jpg
54KB, 650x481px
Hey /out/, anon here.

Let me first off say that I'm new to /out/, but not to 4chan.
I believe this is the best board to post this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That being said, why is /doomsdayprepping/ the outdoor equivalent of having a Mustang in the /o/ community?

Why do the general public make fun of people for being ready, I don't get it.

The reason I don't get it, is because I am a Florida-fag myself, born and raised.

I went through the 2004 hurricane season here. It was not fun. My family and I didn't bug out, we hunkered down. We were without power for a little over a week at the longest, I believe. I was thankful my mom bought gallons of water, food for us, batteries for radios and even my good ol' Gameboy Advance to play Pokemon since I had bum fuck else to do.

In conclusion, when I'm older, (21 now) I plan on having no less than seven days worth of food and water for each member of my house at all times, not even when a hurricane is on the way.

(Just look at the recent blizzard in the US. Store shelves were picked clean by people before it hit. I don't want to get stuck in that traffic and mess if I don't have to.)

Why is that so cringeworthy nowadays?
>>
>>677409
Shamless self bump to the fun fact (in case you all forgot) that in 2004, text messaging still used T9, Twitter didn't exist, and Facebook was still called; TheFacebook.
>>
>>677409
>Why is that so cringeworthy nowadays?
it isn't

btw: are you aware of the solar superstorm which missed earth in 2012?
>>
>>677423
>it isn't
Going to have to say you're a little biased based on the fact that you're on /out/.

Most people consider preppers or even people that have BOBs to be crazy, or in the least, nuts.

>are you aware of the solar superstorm which missed earth in 2012?

No I wasn't! I am currently researching now.

PS: Still OP here, even if the poster count went up.
I had to reset my browser since the captcha wasn't loading.
>>
>>677409
Yes, there are some who jump on bandwagons and advertise their stash on TV, but that doesn't make the rest of us idiots.

As you've said, OP, having a little extra set aside for a rainy day is just common sense.
>>
>>677434
>having a little extra set aside for a rainy day is just common sense.
Literally for a rainy day, lmao.

But when does it cross the line from having a little extra food, common sense, to crazy?

Stockpilling ammunition?
Hoarding precious metals?
Gas masks?
Not letting your kids swim in your giant pool during the day because you force them to wear sunscreen? And you don't want that sunscreen to contaminate your thousands upon thousands of gallons of water in your pool in case of judgement day? Even though your pool will likely be contaminated anyway from whatever doomsday you're prepping for?

(saw a clip from one episode of doomsday preppers, no joke, that's what I just described.)
>>
>>677444
its because a lot of the preppers think its gonna be like all out war 24/7 its mostly just gonna be ppl out
Also because they buy stuff like TACTICAL SURVIVAL BUSHCRAFT MACHETE WITH MATCHES IN THE HANDLE
>>
>>677444
I got ya. Understood.

OK, so you know when you just have to have that new iPhone, because it has 10000000000000 MORE TBs OF RAM, and OMG ITS 9th GEN!!!!!
That's when.

Like guns.
Nobody wants to get shot.
With anything.
If you have a shotgun and a .22 or 9mm, you're pretty much GTG for 99% of what you'll ever even think of using it for. Sure, get another 500 rounds of 30-30 if you like, but draw a line at practicality.
Is the mortgage paid?
Do the kids need braces?
Y'know.
Do a cost / benefit analysis.
Needs vs Wants.

But DESU, most of the stuff we get sits in a closet, and makes you feel kinda dumb when you haven't used it for much more than "putting it all on and making you war face in the mirror."

So, get a Mora. Forget the Busse Atomic Skullfucker. Put the difference into someting useful, like medicine, or Fox Fire books, or a bicycle (which, by the way, can help you get healthy, so its a win-win. Look for stuff like that.)

You'll be fine.
Just remember that everyone wants to sell you something, and you only need a little bit if you know what to do with it, OK?
>>
>>677456
Yes!
You get it.
Thank You!
>>
>>677429
>Going to have to say you're a little biased based on the fact that you're on /out/.
OK you got a point there..

about doomsday preppers - le show :

i only watched a few episodes and concluded that all the "preppers" presented there where a) hippies who would not notice a difference if the lights go out, or b) people who need proper anti-angst medication

>>677444
>But when does it cross the line from having a little extra food, common sense, to crazy?
i think planning a few steps into possible futures is not that crazy...

i do not consider myself a prepper, but i work in a not so town and i'm renovating a house in a more rural area for the weekend/holidays.

i take care that there is a always a backup in the house in case you need to be off-grid for a certain amount of time, wood stove, own well and all that stuff .... dunno if that's crazy since i know a lot of folks personally who are turning into the same direction.

i've read a bit about possible scenarios and imho the worst case is a nuclear winter scenario. best thing to do would be comitting suicide in that case since no one can prep for that. but for collapse of economy(imho likely), war times(where i'm at unlikely but happend in the last 100 yrs 2 times), a second black-death-like pandemic(unlikely?) or a solar flare(unlikely statistically spoken) a bit of self suffiency is not that bad. which does not mean that i horde ammunition or run around in the wood drinking my own piss or have a secret bunker below my house, but i like the feeling of having enough firewood to get through a winter without gas, and have some friends who actually know how to grow/breed your own food....
>>
>>677457
This.

If you want to prep start with stuff you already need/use, like stocking up on foods you like, getting solar and a water source on your property, and just one or two guns for basic security and hunting, but mostly focus on learning skills like raising livestock, investing in medical training, etc.
>>
>>677429
>Most people consider preppers or even people that have BOBs to be crazy, or in the least, nuts.

That's because of utterly shitty sensationalist TV shows like Doomsday Preppers.

Well, if no one wants to prep because "preppers are crazy!" then fuck them when there's 10 feet of snow and they can't leave their house for 2 weeks and don't have electric, or a tornado/hurricane/landslide wipes out their house, or they lose their job for 6 months and have to bun off their friends. Because the real grownup world will say, "fuck you," if you are not prepared for it.

Fuck this shitty mentality people have about common sense and fuck the media for sensationalizing it with the most bat shit insane people they can find who follow the most sensationalist script they can get away with.
>>
>>677491
Yes.
Does this sound familiar?

"Now, our panel of experts will rate your plan and playthings. Your Niagara Falls flotation capsule earns a score of 9/10 for the X factor, but your 2 day supply of beans, bullets, and band-aids rates a low 3. You earn an overall score of 12."
"Well, you know, I don't really agree with that, b/c I plan to be the alpha predator and build up a housewife harem in my cul-de-sac, so..."

(This segment sponsored by Bill's Bodacious Bunkers and Ted's Most Excellent Contingency Consulting, LLC)

Maybe the sheeple are just as happy not getting it, and having something to laugh at?
>>
>>677409
Outdoorsmen
>does have camping equipment
>knows how to use it from experience
>goes out regularly and enjoys nature and living outdoors
>would make it far should the need ever arise, after all he is an expert at living outdoors

Prepper
>does have camping equipment
>knows shit about using it because he sits in his basement all day
>sits in his basement and is afraid of the world
>would be piss useless in the event, after all it is just a paranoid neckbeard in his basement.

And thats why most of us see you as cringeworthy boardcancer. Have a nice day.
>>
File: WP_20151012_005~2~2.jpg (513KB, 1632x916px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151012_005~2~2.jpg
513KB, 1632x916px
The issue is the implied longing for the end of the world. Most people have the idea that a prepper does not fit into this world and spends all of his time and money on preparing for its demise where he thinks he will inherit the earth due to his forward thinking and planning!

The above type of prepper is prevalent and will feature on TV shows etc.

Then there are the normal kind of "prepper" (although I do not identify with the term) who keeps a sensible supply of things together that he will use anyway whilst camping/hunting but will be handy incase of a power shortage, adverse weather event etc.

Any realist would dread the end of society. Why would I want increased danger for my wife/child? I spend the majority of my time contributing towards society not planning for it to fail. But I have insurance in my kit. Just like I don't want to die but I have life insurance. I don't want to be burgled but I have home insurance.

Rant over
>>
I agree with pretty much everyone else. I don't know if it's got to do with movies and TV shows or what but when people prep for shit like "zombie apocalypse" or whatever else, it's fantasy and they're larping. As far as a world war or invasion goes, especially in a nuclear war, there's not a whole lot that you can do to prepare for it, there's a reason why Chernobyl has had the exclusion zone for years. Yeah it might be getting safer, but if you're in your thirties, you're going to be in your sixties before it's safe to fuck around with no mop gear on.

There's no harm whatsoever in having a bugout bag or whatever, if it has useful kit in it. For example I live on a fire prone area, and the government and fire authorities both encourage people to have emergency supplies (water, shelter, food, first aid) in case they need to evacuate. This is very sensible, because things can happen that are unexpected and it's a good idea to be prepared. Going from those basics you can extrapolate and it's still reasonable. When you keep no food or water (when I say water I also mean purification kit), minimal shelter but are hoarding 60kg in knives, guns, ammo and home made explosives, you're a fucking idiot. These are the people that give it a bad name.

If you're going to make a bugout bag, it really shouldn't be much different to your hiking bag, with some extra bits and pieces maybe.

Also, it's the nature of capitalism to start naming every knife an "essential survival combat anti-zombie knife with matches, compass, 1000m of para cord and bear grylls' piss in the sheath." There's a market for people that think that owning shit with survival or tactical in the name is going to make up for the fact that they wouldn't know what to do with it in an easy situation, let alone if their life depended on it. An example of this is people that carry umpteen million miles of corsage but can't tie knots.
>>
>>677797
Sorry for the long post. To sum things up, in my opinion and based off my experience, keep it simple and start small, learn the basics, and rather than just reading, put what you read to action and give some stuff a go, get experience. It's one thing to read a book on building a house, and another thing to actually build it.

I have a hunting buddy that is a tinfoil hat type dude, big on prepping or whatever, but everything that he knows he has tried out, improved/modified where he needs to, and keeps his skills and fitness up. That's another (and the last thing I promise) that I find funny: so many of these people talk about how prepared they are, yet so many are unbelievably unfit. If you can't hike 10 miles uphill with a 10kg pack without feeling like you're going to die, then if you're in a dire situation such as having to survive in the wild, youre going to have a hard time no matter what you bring.

So a basic list would be:
-Health/fitness (you don't need to be an Olympian/bodybuilder/whatever to be in good shape)
-water (inc containers and purification kit)
-shelter (inc clothes, sleeping bag etc)
-food (inc means of procuring/preparing food)
-warmth (also comes under shelter I guess, but also fire starting kit)
-tools (knife, multi tool, sewing kit, first aid kit)
-knowledge and experience

There's things to add to that I know, but these are some basic things to think about. Use those or similar headings to get basic gear you think you'll need. Put yourself in a mock (emphasis on MOCK) situation to try out your gear, and see of you could subtract or add, but at the same time keep things minimal (that starts ruling out 5 guns, 1000 rounds plus a hatchet, machete, shovel and pickaxe). From there you should get the gist of what you will need in a survival situation. If you can't hunt or fish, learning to is a good ideA, because it's not as easy as some people think (meaning field dress as well).

Just keep it simple and necessary.
>>
>>677409
the worst thing about prepping for the sake of prepping is you have no idea what kind of disaster will come or if anything you can do will help you at all but you sacrifice a significant amount of your time and resources to an unforeseeable and very unlikely event.

when war is breaking out everyone becomes a pepper stores are raided empty and people stockpile the basics hides his valuables, makes hidden stashes and learn to salvage all kinds of equipment and resources pretty quickly.

and that is fine because it's pretty justified. what's not fine is doing all this shit when you don't need it just in case you need it.

if you spend a significant amount of your time and resources on being prepared for absolutely no concrete threat you are a fucking retard in the clinical sense.

i guess for some people it's a weird hobby or pastime and that's fine so long you don't rape the mind and life of your partner and children.
>>
>>677444
Actually stockpiling ammo and precious metals is a good monetary investment, although I think the ammo hoarders are just jerks that drive up the prices, but that's what makes it a good investments. The rest is just moronic.
>>
>>677781
Perhaps of good term for the normal kind is 'forward thinker.'
>>
>>677409
>seven days worth of food and water for each member of my house

That's not so bad. That's not Dooms Day Prepping, that's just regular emergency preparedness.
>>
>>677831
itt every household has at least that much
a couple of 6packs of bottled water and everything in the kitchen would be enough.
>>
>>677797
w2c this Bear Grylls Zombie Piss Knife?
>>
>>677839
Bitch speak for yourself.

Buying bottled water is for plebs.
>>
>>677845
well in my country only the plebs drinks tap water
>>
>>677409
Could be because "normal" preppers are boring, tv tend to show the crazy ones cause numbers.
>>
>>677846
When the tap water is worse then bottled water you live in a pleb country. Making you a pleb.
>>
>>677856
>http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/11/health/toxic-tap-water-flint-michigan/
>usa confirmed for pleb tier country
thank you child you can sit down!
>>
>>677872

>USA is one little municipality

Are you European?
>>
>>677879
>When the tap water is worse then bottled water you live in a pleb country. Making you a pleb.
you said it
>>
>>677890
There are places where you can't drink the tap water in 2016?

Yikes, must suck to live in the third world
>>
>>677897
There are lots of orders to boil the tap water around here in FL. I'm not sure what it is, the warm ground temperatures or the fact that the water table is only a couple feet below the ground. Most people drink bottled water.

The boil orders or whatever are normally a result of some water main problems I think. They normally only last for a few hours or a day until they fix the problem.

The tap water here is also really warm which suprised me when I first moved here. In IL, the cold water was cold, like almost fridge temp. It is like high 70s and 80s here, I can comfortably take a shower with no hot water.
>>
File: 1447214489374.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1447214489374.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>677457
>>677488
Don't listen to these fags. You need to get off the grid and you need at least one of the following:

.22lr Rifle
.9mm pistol
5.56 Rifle
.308 Rifle

And at least 1000 rounds for each.
You need the best optics and the lightest weapons and that's just to start. Don't get me going on all the clothes and food you need.
>>
>>677872
You only streanghten My argument.
>>
>>677759
A lot of people prep. Hardly anyone at all talks about it. I tiny tiny % of the prepper population actually goes on tv and internet to crazy up the place. People who are more apt to talk about shit are more apt to be the crazy ones. It is typical fly in the ointment bullshit. Take this example: >>677769 the poster cherry picks a crazy for the prepper side and either doesn't know about or won't talk about every day weather and disaster related prepping. you know, the legit things you see on the news destroying one or more sections of the USA.

I myself and a full prepper. I don't prep for batshit insane things. I prep for local weather and I prep with my neighbors. Still having clean water and unspoiled food in the 3rd week of storm outages where you can't even buy gasoline is quite priceless. We have food, gear, plans, and contingency for the most common things (flood, fire, summer/winter storms, tornadoes, car wrecks, job loss) and non-standard things (gang related violence, home invasion, house-sitting to guard against burglary) respectively. We practice methods and revise as needed.

Being prepared is just common sense. There's so much you can do to avoid so much misery in most situations. And, it doesn't cost a lot, especially considering the consequences of not being prepared.
>>
>>677905
.9mm or 9mm, you're wasting time.

.40 at least.
>>
>>677905
>Off the grid
Why? In what specific scenario is this nessecary?
In an emergency situation people will generally work together. Doing anything alone is many times worse than having at least 1 person to help.
Are you expecting Russians to invade? Why the fixation on weapons?
>>
File: 77311.jpg (120KB, 880x1308px) Image search: [Google]
77311.jpg
120KB, 880x1308px
So it seems what we're really trying to nail down here, is the percentage of one's income that can reasonably be spent on items intended to assist one in the event of a catastrophic decrease in quality of life?
>>
>>678097
Jesus fucking christ, anyone dumb enough to do that is dumb enough to have a savings account. There's no aliens, no zombies, no jew apocalypse. Anyone and i mean anyone that preps if balls out a crazy white honky mofo i garentee it.
>>
>>678105
It must be so nice to live a sheltered existence where nothing has ever gone wrong.

Meanwhile there are people right now without power or unable to get away from their house to buy food due to flooding in the developed world. Clearly they should put the views of an idiot on the internet over the comfort and safety of their families right?
>>
>>678117
That sounds like a good 5%
>>
>>678038
.40 provides no benefit over 9mm and only drops your carrying capacity.

9mm, .45, .357 mag/sig, or 10mm will all run you admirably. .40 S&W is just a waste of time
>>
>>677409

Having extra stuff on hand for something that can realistically happen isn't cringe worthy. Mormons do that all the time.

Doing stupid shit like all the retards on TV and youtube on the other hand, is cringe worthy.
>>
>>678117
B T F O
T
F
O
>>
File: 1454284761619.jpg (47KB, 529x502px) Image search: [Google]
1454284761619.jpg
47KB, 529x502px
>>678105

spotted the SJW ;^)
>>
I live in Japan and have what i call an earthquake bag. My wife thought i was crazy until we had emergency training with the Tokyo fire department. They had a 3 day emergency bag loadout on display in the lobby. My wife told me we needed the same until I told here we have one at home. I have also had Japanese neighbors ask me to advise them about kits. Some people have told me they know they need a kit but can't be bothered to put one together or even buy a ready made kit.
>>
>>678349
This is fairly common in California as well. Just a kit with a bit of food and supplies to make it a couple days without electricity and gas.
>>
>>678263
How can you tell someone not to use .40 for not being better than 9mm then suggest .45?
>>
>>678350
I took lessons from the Fukushima disaster to make a suitcase sized kit last three people a month.
>>
>>677409
just watched the first episode.

the guy fuckin shoots his thumb off. LOL! what the titties is this shit.
>>
File: fatfuck.jpg (44KB, 590x421px) Image search: [Google]
fatfuck.jpg
44KB, 590x421px
Near where I live I can personally say the reason that preppers are so ridiculed and laughed at is mainly because discovery channel didn't really cast them in the best light and really damaged the public image of people who are just genuinely concerned with their well being. No one around my area wants to be labeled as a prepper because all people think is they are one in the same as David Sarti (the tactical fat ass with the little dogs.)

>>677409
>>
>>678462
>because discovery channel didn't really cast them in the best light

They purposely did that for social propaganda and sensationalism. The world runs on the misery of other people, anon.

There was a micronation king on /tv/ for a short time telling everyone about how he was approached for one of their reality TV shows. He refused to do it because it was scripted. They wanted him to make a military uniform for his island nation, dress up in full military and be filmed with his family buying firearms and ammo. He was like, "nope, fuck you", regardless of the ass load of money they were going to pay him to do it.
>>
>>678462
>>678477
I hate how the discovery channel is pretty much all fake reality tv bullshit these days instead of being mostly about actual science and shit....
>>
File: 1448424192174.jpg (55KB, 338x446px) Image search: [Google]
1448424192174.jpg
55KB, 338x446px
>>678584
Normies ruin everything they touch. It's the second golden rule.
>>
I always keep like 3-4 weeks of non-perishable foods (canned goods, dried beans, lentils, and rice) and keep around 4-5 gallon jugs of drinking water in stock. I should probably keep more water on hand but I figure that if all else fails then I'll still have 40-50 gallons of safe drinking water in my hot water heater.

It gets ridiculous when people think they need 1+ years worth of food and supplies to wait out some catastrophic event. That's just not true in this day and age, if you can make it through a few weeks, at most, then you'll have a chance to resupply or relocate to a better area. Somalia has been in a state of civil war for 20 straight years and over 9 million Somalis somehow find a way to make a living, buy food, and have more babies. Certain villages in Syria are being starved out right now but that's just because the aid convoys have been blocked off from getting there. The country has been in a state of war for over 4 years now, THAT'S the sort of situation where you start stockpiling food to last you several months, or just get the fuck out of there while you still can.
>>
File: BigFatFab.jpg (53KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
BigFatFab.jpg
53KB, 800x800px
>>678595
>>678584
Every channel that was even remotely a niche 10-15 years ago is now shitty and just like everything else.
>>
File: 1424115054433.jpg (451KB, 4040x626px) Image search: [Google]
1424115054433.jpg
451KB, 4040x626px
>>678584
>>678595
>>678607
>>
>>678609
>>678607
Pretty much, makes me rather sad. Happened to my ultimate frisbee and football lunch break club in high school, happened to my jazz octet and happened to fucking university, too. Even the metal scene's been overrun by feminazis. Why can't normies just fuck off? REEE
>>
>>678477
I don't blame him I wouldn't either.

>>678584
Remember when Discovery was trying to do that.

>>678609
It's depressing how true it is. I know a couple people that try the introduction of attention whoring females into every damn thing our group of friends do.
>inb4 have no friends
>>
>>678263
wtf is this jumbled nonsense?
.40, 9mm .357 sig and .45 are pleb tier rounds with much the same capabilities in the end. .40 being the most well rounded the 9mm however wins out in mag capacity and kills just fine.

.357 mag and 10mm auto are good powerful rounds that are enjoyable to shoot and can destroy a fucking motor block.
>>
File: Agreed.png (371KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
Agreed.png
371KB, 960x640px
>>677456
>TACTICAL SURVIVAL BUSHCRAFT MACHETE WITH MATCHES IN THE HANDLE

i kekd. people eat shit like this up
>>
>>677409
>Why do the general public make fun of people for being ready, I don't get it.
Because they once saw a doomsday prepper. If they see someone buying ten liter of water, they associate you with that freak who collect gas mask, spend all its money on ammo and point a gun at the postman.
>>
>>677429
If someone think the entire world will become mad in just one hour and he can walk away to safety in the wood, wait 3 days here and everything will be solved when he is back, he does have psychiatric problems.
Bob are for scarred children and for stalker challenges.

The most important thing you should have if SHTF and zombies is a sharp mind in a strong body, but you can't sell that, so the preppers never discuss things like situational awareness or cardio but can argue for years about a tool.
>>
>>679229
funny story
had a huge snowstorm in my country a couple of years ago
lots of people got caught up in it on the roads
there were warnings that were ignored sure it didn't came out of clear sky
still i was confronted by the utter ineptitude of the entire rescue ops some people had to wait 16 hours or more not to get rescued but to have anyone reach them.
so i decided i'm gonna make a one day survival kit for 2 person (me and gf) for the car and put it in the trunk every time i leave town.
months pass i have it with me never use it.
one day awfully cold and get a malfunction in the middle of highway. possibly hours before rescue.
motor did not work no heating car gets colder by the second.
could be worse weather and shit even longer wait for rescue.

guess what i didn't had in the trunk that day cause i forgot in the rush?
>>
>>679229
No bug out bags are something anybody who is remotely sensible has, there is a reason governments tell people to own them if they live near areas at risk of natural disasters.

Being proud of your own lack of preparedness is just sad. You are no better than the people who think owning a gun means you neglect all the other aspects of self defence.
>>
Doomsday prepping is cringeworthy because in a nuclear super power we will never see it happen. I am going to sound a little tinfoilly here , but every thing you here about the former USSR doing in its satellite states has happened here on us soil. The difference is the USSR did a lot on foreign soil, so as they left it came to light. The USA is a different story since most of our shenanigans took place here. We also have no credible threats here at home, we're Russia is surrounded by enemies. To see a dooms day event we would need to see one of two things,
>large scale nuclear war
>extinction level natural disaster

Short of that, it is just to easy for the government to keep the country in a state of homeostasis, not that that is a bad thing.

That said, just plain prepping is a good habit that everyone should practice. An example is I live in a tornado/flooding area in the summer, and get lovely amounts of lake effect snow in the winter. Because I am aware of this I tend to keep extra food/dog food/gas around, on top of things like a generator and extra batteries.

Prepping is good and we'll excepted, what people don't except near as well is 400lbs neckbeards running around with their sks and katana shouting about how they are ready to fight zombies with water filters and iodine tablets.
>>
Prepping for a natural disaster by always ensuring you have the right supplies handy, and are able to ride out something like a storm/hurricane/blizzard, is completely normal, and smart. There is nothing wrong with being prepared for a natural disaster. Store some canned food, plenty of clean water, essential tools to survive without power for a bit, and you're good to go.

But these "preppers" take it to a whole other fucking level. Most of them do their prepping with a pretty obvious implication that they are expecting some kind of social collapse, or government take over. Most of them are bored conspiracy theorists who cling to this fantasy that one day they will be like that main character in their favorite doomsday film, only they genuinely believe it will happen. They make their whole lives about "prepping" when really, prepping should just be something you sort of do in the background as necessary.

To re-iterate, there is nothing wrong with being prepared for a natural disaster, but if "prepping" is a hobby, then you are probably going to be seen as a tinfoil hat wearing idiot who has watched too much sci-fi.
>>
File: 1444055249075.gif (1008KB, 364x243px) Image search: [Google]
1444055249075.gif
1008KB, 364x243px
>>677409
Florida here as well...

Didn't have power for 2 weeks and then got it back for 1 day before the next hurricane hit. and then it was another month.

that one day was such a fucking tease.

but my family did prepare and it gave me a look at how things might go if something really big went down.
Food on the shelves was awkwardly non-existant. I was in walmart when the power went out and it went from civilized to shit show in less than 20 seconds. People started chugging drinks, eating random shit, and just shoveling things into their pockets/bags.
we left the second it got crazy in there. Luckily my family had prepared an entire "hurricane closet"

it had blankets, emergency medical supplies, sat phone, tons of canned food, rice, beans, ammo, batteries, lights, propane... just about everything we needed.

FEMA did come right after the hurricane in both instances and handed out MRE's. They had plenty to go around and still people in line got in fights. If FEMA hadn't had water jugs though I can tell you a lot of people would be dead...
Even with all peoples needs taken care of their was still looting. Only place that had power was the hospital, and if you needed to go there for an emergency you would have to brave the roads that were covered in downed trees. Once you got there you had about a 3 hour wait.

Needless to say, I now prepare for at least 3 months of no help from the gov. Seeing what can happen in a small emergency scares the shit out of me for when something big happens.
>>
>telling people about your preps
>let alone going on national television and giving everyone watching a detailed rundown of preps/caches/training

sounds like a good way to have every tom dick and harry come to your place as soon as the power goes out
>>
Thoughts on Doomsday Castle series? For me it looks ridicolus. Why would you build a skeleton castle? Why not just a wall around and them have one large bunker system in the mountain. It seems like a meme show.
>>
>>680031
wait what? like people are building bug out castles now?
>>
>>680036
yeah one guy is building a castle and its the shittiest piece of crap I have ever seen. To take it over all you would have to do is throw a single maltov in and wait for them to run out or die.

There is a reason militaries dont make giant stone castles with motes.
>>
>>680036
Series is basically a father bring 5 of his kids or so, to finish his "doomsday castle". It seemed good, all he had is a bunker under the skeleton walls of a a castle. Instead of finishing the castle they make a useless catapult, a shitty defence system. Only cool thing they made was the outpost. Rest is just unnecessery drama. The "lesson of the day" type of episodes. I was expecting them to finish the castle, but it turned into a ghetto castle.
>>
I can't help to think that the creepy preppers are actually the less prepared people.

The guy with a white collar job who is absolutely useless, can't do shit and built his personal success on social skills will never be in need, no matter what happen to the world because he can get on the good side of people.
The average Perdo, used to long days of hard work under the burning sun or the cold wind, who know how to build new things and to repair old ones don't even need to prepare.
On the other hand, idiots who stockpile things of value and have no idea how the world work will play this game on hard.
>>
>>677444
the richest people in the world are technically just hoarders. they hoard assets and capital. but when the commonfolk decide to hoard assets, its seen as deranged. no, you are quite literally inventorying your own stock, where the status quo is for you to spend all your money on paper stocks as if that was the truly responsible way to store your assets, and anything else is hysterical and unpatriotic. its a disgusting aspect of this system we live in
>>
>>679992
To see that happen in a developed country is a shame.
Here in winter we got all the major power lines destroyed. It took a week to get it back and nothing worth mentioning happened.
I think 2 weeks of water/electricity substitute and 2 months of food is fine but maybe I will upgrade to 4.
>>
File: 1452676024150.png (16KB, 252x211px) Image search: [Google]
1452676024150.png
16KB, 252x211px
>>680031
>Doomsday Castle series

I hate these sensationalist shows. Glad I stopped watching TV, there's literally nothing of value anymore.
>>
I've said it in everyone of these threads.

A "prepper" who isn't prepping with their family and neighbors really isn't prepping. Social structure and community planning are the 1st line of defense against disaster of any kind at all. Everyone needs to know their role and cohesively work with everyone else to fill any niches or gaps in knowledge, capability, skills, tools, food, etc.

If you are not starting from this point, you are not prepping properly. Isolationism = death during a disaster.
>>
>>679289
Inside your car, you have no wind, no rain and are 5° hotter than outside without heating.
Having the inside to freeze is seriously hard with one person in the car, let alone two.
What you needed was two space blanket, or wool blankets and some water and eventually some canned food not a BOB with the biwi, an axe and all that shit.
>>
File: image.png (223KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
223KB, 640x1136px
Just got this. $220 discount ontop. Stoked.
>>
File: The Long Dark.jpg (449KB, 1300x2012px) Image search: [Google]
The Long Dark.jpg
449KB, 1300x2012px
>>680172
>Having the inside to freeze is seriously hard with one person in the car, let alone two.

>1990s
>on vacation during cold ass winter in the mountains
>sleep in minivan with 2 other people
>all the water in the vehicle froze solid
>wake up in the morning to a 12 feet deep snow drift on one side of the van and 4 feet of snow everywhere outside.

It was -42F outside that night and -16F inside the van. It was the coldest I've ever been anywhere. We were wrapped up in wool army blankets all together. There was a layer of ice on the inside of the windows from the humidity created from our breath. I had ice all around my mustache and beard from my breath. We had to borrow an engine heater to get the oil warmed up to get the engine started and we kept the battery inside with us under the blanket. We stayed 2 nights in the van before state plows made it through that area.
>>
>>680612
Thank you for validating my post, you won't get the inside of your car frozen without some seriously bad weather outside and a woolen blanket is all you need in your car, not a bob.

I slept alone in my car by 0°F and batshit crazy wind, and the condensation was still liquid.
>>
I don't know if I'm a life prepper or a long term frugalist. If I shoot 25 20 gauge rounds a year and I might live another fifty years. Why not buy 50 boxes right now while it's cheaper than what it will be when I'm older. I'll be saving money. The same thing goes with a lot of products.
>>
File: skit-with-list.jpg (442KB, 1427x1280px) Image search: [Google]
skit-with-list.jpg
442KB, 1427x1280px
>>680172
i had two space bivvies in my kit in case something really bad happens and we must fight hypothermia. very compact compared to wool or any blankets.
there is also 2l water in the kit because dehydration decreases performance and eating snow without boiling is risky. and some power bars for comfort and energy.

the two major needs are shelter/warmth and water if you expect to be rescued in a few days.

the rest of the kit comes into play when you have to leave the car like the car is in a dangerous spot or damaged and does not provide shelter. then the hatchet and ropes and whatnot can help greatly to make a shelter until you can be rescued. even have a stainless cup to boil snow/water in case can make a fire.

the kit with a bit of luck and skills can provide the essentials for a prolonged period but really it's meant to be a 1-3 day thing.

i got the freezer bags since i made the list
>>
>>680905
well i got some other stuff in it since i made that pic just forgot, i have a storm lighter in there some good braided fishing line and hooks, the first aid kit, really it needs the tarp and water filter, iodine / tablets and it's complete.

the pocket saw is the least off my worries if i see a great one at low price i might buy it.
>>
People just take it too far. It's masturbatory instead of practical.

I do have a BoB but it's a simple one that I'm sure I'll never use.
>>
>>680080
Yup, we're expected to spend everything we earn for crap to keep the economy going. If the system was sane we would be encouraged to work hard and save money to buy things we really want, like houses, fast/big cars and high quality items.

Instead, we live in homes where furnitures are made of cardboard, driving gimmicky cars that claim to be good for climate, but actually are worse for climate/nauture/working people than anything made in the 50's. The list goes on.

>desu saving money these days is not such a good idea.
>>
>>680924
>It's masturbatory instead of practical.
i think it's a nice distraction to put it together.
it's a hobby so to speak to set a budget and fine tune it as you gain experience.
most people get through life without ever needing one that's for sure and you can easily lose your life even if you have one in a serious shit. so spending a lot of money on it is a fucking waste.

i take mine with me when i go hiking and actually use the tools and the canteen and the cup so some of the investment returns the stuff i would never need most likely is about $20-30 tops.
>>
>>678263
It all depends on whether you're going to carry it all around in a Chevy, Dodge, or Ford truck, though, doesn't it?
>>
>>678584
Agreed, but look what we've discovered about each other as a result.
This "conversation" thing is pretty cool.
Much better than being talked at and pandered to.
>>
>>677935
Agree 100%
I'm glad you have it, and hope you never need it.
Take care
>>
>>682724
>I'm glad you have it, and hope you never need it.

I need it once every 2-3 years. That's the point though. Last time was a summer storm that knocked everything out just over 2 weeks. Some people with water wells and working pumps drove from house to house providing water to people. I gave them 55gal of my water to help out.
>>
>>677409
Hello Anon,

I'm in the same boat as you: new to /out/ but not 4chan. I don't see /doomsdayprepping/ as being fancy but as a necessity to living your life. People who don't make some sort of preparations for disasters are either uneducated, ignorant or weird and hopefully more people will adopt your mindset with time.

I think American peoples see it as cringeworthy because the last few generations have become very content with living in the city and having their needs fulfilled by stores. Many people don't have to/don't know the details of growing or hunting food ( even if they grow gardens or hunt for sport ( trophies ) as a result. If more people visited farms or partook in a hunting expedition to see how their food got to their table, realizing how the processes worked and the dangers to them, ( how easily food supplies could be disrupted ) they might prep more.

I didn't consider prepping until later last year myself. Somebody moved into my apartment building and they turned out to be a prepper, very nice man with just a liiiitle paranoia that could easily be justified with one or two events taking place. As a result I'm going to stockpile 30 days of food for myself ( I live alone and have the room to store it ) and pick up some other things that'll be useful before making my bug-out pack.

And yes, that blizzard was horrid. I live in Wisconsin and thankfully I had visited the grocery store a day or two before. Had eight days worth of food stored which turned out to be a wonderful blessing.
>>
>>680075
So true, stockpiling is worthless if you don't know how to use what you have. That is one of the reasons camping is important though. You can practice with what you have. An example of this would be, for me, if the power goes out for an extended period of time and it isn't storming; I'll prob be trying to cook using a biostove.

>>679992
That sounds rough; I'm sorry. That said, may I ask what type of food you plan to stockpile for your three month supply? Canned goods, MRE, Mountain House?
>>
>>678263
>carrying capacity
If you need more than 6 shots to fight your way to a rifle or shotgun then you're not worth saving
>>
>>682882
Or you could go about it in a smarter way and just take something that holds more shots or get out before you think the violence will start. I'm hoping to do the latter and only pull out a firearm if I can't catch something via trap but even my choice in firearm, the Henry U.S. AR-7 Survival Rifle, has more than six shots.

And yes, I know the U.S. AR-7 has a bad reputation but that was the fault of the company that was producing it before Henry. Henry did a great job fixing all the issues they who shall not be named caused in the production of the rifle.

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUvxrfklM6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEZx4fqwNSI

Did I mention the low price? Camo model has M.S.R.P. of only $350, black model $290.
>>
>>680704
The powder won't turn bad after a time?
>>
>>680905
>i got the freezer bags since i made the list
Why is everything pink, you fag?

Even if you are a grill, why are you falling for the whole, tools for grills are the same as guys, but pink, thing?
>>
>>679576
>400lbs neckbeards running around with their sks and katana shouting about how they are ready to fight zombies with water filters and iodine tablets.
Lol'd. That about sums it up.
>>
>>683236

It might. Probably won't. Black powder gets more dangerous but he's talking about shot shells. There's still WW2 era stuff floating around that works fine too.
>>
>>683399

They may actually like the colour pink.
>>
>>683399
>>683426
not pink orange, better visiblity

the water label is pink i don't know why pink == not carbonated
>>
>>683399
i wasnt even considering the visibility factor in one of your other replies, but youll notice that pink items are often cheaper than any other counterpart. youll notice sometimes that when items have color options, pink is heavily discounted
>>
>>684583
Maybe because the manufacturers fall into the tool for gril trap and have to break the price to get it out of their stocks.
>>
>>684592
im not wondering why its true, im relating it to why he has pink product. ive bought pink product before because the chinese gave them upwards 50% discount
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (84KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
84KB, 960x960px
>>684592
>>684594
It isn't pink. It is Orange, but the photo is shit. Only the water bottle caps are pink. Get your eyes checked.
>>
>>684636
>but the photo is shit
made by samsung galaxy phone thank samsung
>>
>>677879
Pharmaceuticals Found in Drinking Water - Associated Press (2009)

A vast array of pharmaceuticals including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and sex hormones have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans, an Associated Press investigation shows.

hosted.ap.org/specials/interactives/pharmawater_site/

The stupid argument of pleb countries should have died in the late 1800s.
>>
>>684636
>the photo is shit
>Get your eyes checked.

Lmao, you can't admit something is wrong with the photo and then blame it on me.
>>
>>685324
Other people can see that it is the problem with the photo and fading the orange. Why can't you? It is obvious what is orange and what isn't in that image. Thus, you must be color blind to a degree.
>>
File: Mora-HiVis-Companion-F-Sml-1.jpg (26KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Mora-HiVis-Companion-F-Sml-1.jpg
26KB, 300x300px
>>685522
>Thus, you must be color blind to a degree.
everyone sees colors a bit different not to mention every display shows them different

most of the stuff i have are vivid orange irl but on the pic they look salmon pinkish

pic related is what the knife looks like irl for example, instead of this >>680905
>>
>>685712
No, it is directly because people are fucking stupid or color blind. If you can't tell it is orange you are color blind or fucking stupid.

>everyone sees colors a bit different not to mention every display shows them different

Color blindness.
>>
>roommate always tell me prepping is a waste of money
>electricity cut for 9 days
>recharging my phone and laptop via solar panel
>using radio for music
>playing games on laptop
he hasn't made a comment since
>>
>>685721
>At the other end of the scale, some people have a particularly heightenedsensitivity to colour. Scientists call these people tetrachromats, meaning “four colours”, after the four – rather than three – colour photoreceptors they possess.
most likely you are colorblind
>>
>>685734
>birds and reptiles see four colors
>some people see four colors
>reptilians are among us
proof
>>
>>685732
is he eating your beans too?
>>
>>685734
Every test I've taken says otherwise, including my doctor.
>>
>>685732
>>685744
It is happening right now.

The only thing I need are new camera batteries for my camera to take pics of all this god damn awesome snow hanging in the trees. I have everything else, but the electric is out all over. No one else in the area has electricity, running water, landline phones, gasoline, or cellphone.reception now that the power has been off long enough that the batteries havedied. They get landlines for a brief moment when the batteries are exchanged.

Nothing's changed for me. I'm still here, shitposting on 4chan as usual.
>>
>>685802
i'm just telling you it's all relative.
no two people sees colors exactly the same. for some people it's a small issue, colorblind are people that can't tell the difference between red and green or can't see colors at all. i have a colleague of both kind funnest thing when you send them an excel where you mark stuff that is ok with green and stuff that is not ok with red then as you take your coffee break you remember...
>>
>>685739
>birds and reptiles
birds are reptiles.
>>
>>686373
birds are dinosaurs and some of them still remembers it
>>
>>685805
Dont let that faggot use your panels
>>
>>686385
they're all dinosaurs.

and dinosaurs are reptiles, so that makes birds reptiles.
>>
>>686373
Why are birds warm-blooded while reptiles are cold-blooded then?
>>
>>686401
because dinosaurs weren't cold-blooded.

reptiles aren't by definition cold-blooded, some traditional reptiles like tegus are capable of temporally homeothermy (breeding season)
>>
>>684671
So, the water for 12% of the US population has drugs in it.
>>
>>678609
>mfw this is happening to w40k

On survival things, though. My father and I have begun stockpiling water and seeds, and once the weather warms up we'll have food to store. I found out recently my mom knows how to raise animals, can food, and all that good stuff. I wish she had taught me that when I was younger, especially since we live in a place prone to power outages and bad weather in any season that isn't spring. I find myself trying to learn everything I can now from them, paying extra attention all the time to things like machinery and homesteading.

So, basically, prepare but also know what you need to do in case you get caught unawares.
>>
Building up my bugout bag, r8 pls. No pic cuz broke phone.

>External frame milsurp pack from Fleet Farm, >czech I think
>Water bottle
>Cook kit
>Knife/Swiss Army Knife
>Fishing kit
>2400 Calories of rations
>Glowsticks
>Tackle kit (scooby doo themed)
>Folding shovel
>200 feet of 1200lbs rope
>500 feet of 550 paracord
>bug spray
>first aid kit

Planning on getting:
>Small tent
>hammock
>sleeping bag
>automatic fishing yo-yo
>Lifestraw

How fucked am I?
>>
>>687397
>External frame milsurp pack from Fleet Farm, >czech I think
external frame is good for long term survival and hauling stuff, too heavy and not compact for bugout.
>Water bottle
>Cook kit
ok, most people underestimate this, making good modern pot is impossible in survival situations. they are thin light made of metal so sturdy will heat the water or food fast.
>Knife/Swiss Army Knife
swiss army is okay for kids get a real knife
>2400 Calories of rations
that's like 1-2 days aim should be 72 hours
>Glowsticks
meh, i would ditch them, consider crank up led lamp instead!
>Fishing kit
>Tackle kit (scooby doo themed)
seems redundant, survival fishing doesn't really need a shitton of crap you need a line and a hook maybe some sinkers. you can usually find bait where there are fish. focus on the essentials!
>Folding shovel
nonessential basically a luxury item in survival terms. what makes sense for a soldier to carry not always makes sense for bugout. the urgency of tasks is very different the improvisation opportunities are also different.
>200 feet of 1200lbs rope
>500 feet of 550 paracord
seems a bit too much, but whatever, cordage is hard to make easy to use
>bug spray
>first aid kit
good and good

the water filtration method is very important, and aside from that you need to carry shittons of water because while on the move finding water you can drink is not guaranteed. maybe some iodine tablets.

consider tarp instead of tent more multi functional more adaptable to your situation.
>>
>>687397
>>687517
also fire? what do you have for fire?

survival essentials are tools for:
first-aid, making shelter / control body temperature, making fire (it has to do with everything else really it's like a cornerstone), disinfecting water, cooking, hunting or fishing, making / repairing equipment and clothes

in a bug out bag you also throw in enough food and water for 72 hours because that just makes everything else so much easier and gives you time to find a really suitable location.
>>
>>687521
and luxury items you actually should consider:
tools to signal (mirrors, whistles, etc...), tools to navigate (map of your surrounding area, compass, ruler, sundial, ...), medicine like antibiotics and vitamins, and salt and maybe some vacuum packed tea coffee or even spices. throw in a book about survival and wildlife and plants that applicable to your area it can help shittons long-term..
>>
>>680405
That is amazing! I thought petrol had to be mined or something? You can generate your own? How long have we had this? Is this why gas prices are going back down?
>>
>>687531
You're still in school aren't you?
>>
>>687397
I agree with >>687517 >>687521 and >>687525 Its solid and well thought out. However, I do things differently. My way isn't necessarily better or worse, but it's another option you could consider.

I don't have a bug out bag, per say. I feel that if something were to happen, going home to get said bag would introduce additional risk and require additional time, not to mention what my situation would be, if my personal disaster was a house fire... no gear to get. I keep a small bag, in a five gallon bucket, buried outside of town. It has all the usual stuff a 72 hour kit should have, so I won't get into specifics, but it is helpful to keep some cash in there, too. Maybe some liquor and cigarettes for trade or use if you'll use it.
>>
>>687540
>going home to get said bag would introduce additional risk
i keep my bag in the car when i'm not home, and when i go hiking i carry the stuff in it.
burying stuff for later use seems risky in the sense that you can not be sure you will not be forced into any other direction when shit hits the fan by whatever circumstances.

caching stuff if you have an established bug out area is good i guess but i would stash stuff too heavy for a bug out bag like ammo and extra metalwork (more pots and pans, maybe a stove, gun, an assortment of tools for woodworking and construction, maybe water bury fuckton of water in a pe container in case of mass contamination, etc...)
>>
>>687540
>but it is helpful to keep some cash in there, too.
the eternal question
what will be the currency?
bottle caps? bullets? blowjobs? gold?
>>
>>687517
thanks for the input, anon
>>687521
I have a zippo and a handful of regular lighters. Will get emergency blanket, tent and poncho when I can hit Gander Mountain.
>>687564
I've considered holding cigarettes like the above anon said, it'd be a good currency since bullets come in all different sizes
>>
>>687628
>thanks for the input, anon
well i'm trying to keep this thread alive for selfish reasons
>I have a zippo and a handful of regular lighters.
i would work on that front a bit more, have you been out much? i have some and while lighter is the first thing i go for lighters failed me before. what i can recommend tho is candles a lighter will easily light a candle and the candle will burn for a good while and the candle wax makes any wood burn almost like fatwood. they also keep well and can be used in any shape and form don't smell stuff up don't spill.

having a tin box even a small one can help you greatly after the first fire, you can make char material that will readily ignite from a spark even from an empty lighter. i'm not much of a flint guy, but if you can find some and have carbon steel you are set for life. of course you can work around the tin it's just way harder to char stuff properly without it.

i have a storm lighter a regular disposable lighter some everywhere light matches and 5 candles and last resort a ferro rod and some cotton. you probably gonna be fine with a single candle even that will help shittons the rest of the stuff weights next to nothing.

fire is so fucking important that a bit of bomb proofing really doesn't hurt.

processing firewood also requires some tools, a good knife will do in a pinch but hatchets are like i don't know way too useful to pass up. depends on the area tho in a desert a shovel might be more useful than a hatchet in a jungle a machete might be more useful than an axe.

instead of a full hatchet you can carry a tomahawk head and make a handle for it if you need to. for me it's more of a space issue as hollow fiberglass handles weight nothing.

well that's just me i want in my bag everything i need to make a good shelter to make fire even in adverse conditions and to boil water and cook food. minimally that's a knife a lighter a steel cup some paracord maybe a ferro rod. but these all have limitations.
>>
>>687644
I ordered a few 8 hour candles online and a nice knife. I do have a flint steel somewhere, it just kinda sucks. Know a good place to get a tomahawk online? Can't really go anywhere useful IRL except maybe walmart.
>>
>>687657
dunno i might be accused of bad taste but i really like cold steel hawks for cheaps. when i bus stuff i usually hunt something from ebay last time i ordered from "thegoodguys" i got what i ordered on time everything was ok.

i just personally can't decide if the spike hawk or the pipe hawk would be more useful. or maybe have both with a single handle that can be used for both (i assume). or maybe neither since i already have a hatchet and that cuts wood better and i don't plan on killing anyone in which the tomahawk would excel no doubt.
>>
>>687665
I'm really not picky as long as it has a way to put on my belt safely and won't break if I use it roughly like put all my weight on the head. I'm not heavy or anything, but I like quality.
>>
>>687667
cold steel i think makes good blades for the price but don't expect superb quality like good grain alignment from their handles. you can on the plus side buy handles for them if they wear down or make them yourself. altho the original is hickory (pretty good for this stuff) which you won't find in europe. cold steel makes good stuff for cheap beaters, but also makes lots of mall ninja meme stuff and some expensive meme stuff that will not live up to the price category.
>>
>>687669
All I need is one with a belt sheath and won't fuck up on me when I really need it. I'll look into cold steel, thanks.
>>
>>687670
your welcome. sadly i don't think they come with blade protectors or holders but you can make one from leather easily enough.

maybe they come with protector huh
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cold-Steel-SPIKE-HAWK-Tomahawk-w-Leather-Sheath-90SH-New-/181242620821
best make sure before you order one.

most people i seen just shove the tomahawk into their belt. a bit unsafe if you keep it razor sharp for sure.

the tomahawk will require more effort from your part than a hatchet, but will be lighter and can be taken apart for transport. it's also better as an improvised weapon. there might be legalities to consider.
>>
>>687674
Think it's possible to modify a TRS belt mount originally for a flashlight for a hawk?
>>
>>687676
i have no idea, i would still make one from leather.
making stuff from leather is basically
1) cutting out desired shape
2) making holes for bolts (doesn't have to be pretty nobody will ever see it)
3) bolting it together with a hammer on a soft wood anvil

when you try to design it you first draw it on paper cut it out and see if the sizes are all good. when they are good transfer outline to leather and cut with scissor or cutter knife.

you can try get scrap leather from shoemakers or leather-workers shop and there are sometimes scrap leather per pound for cheap in leather wholesale.

sometimes i use thin leather straps to stitch leather together when i make a pouch or a small kidney bag works well with thin leather but usually the bolting works excellent.
>>
>>677823

High end alcohols as well.....
>>
>>678092

Not him but read up on the entire katrina disaster.

From the evacuation fiacsos (mass car jackings and general assults murders and mayhem) to looting nigs and drug addicts trying to raid on some of the areas that were upper middle class and not underwater. That for me was my turning point from being happy with a week supply of food/water a gun or 2 and essentials to 3 months minimum supplies, 5k rounds in each caliber gun, buying matching guns in pairs / wife is a mean shot(shit 3 or 4 10/22s now) and a modest garden.

Shit can hit the fan, might as well be ready.
>>
>>682771
we had a tornado a few years back
knocked out power for 2-3 days
everyone here has a well, but they're deep, so no hand pumps
everyone had bottled water, but nothing to wash with
our downspout cistern supplied non-potable water for the neighborhood
not sure if we wanted to out ourselves, but had to help
calculated risk paid off
we now have good neighbors, working on a watch group
>>
>>688346
Still, 5k round is too much. The looters go away if you just shoot one or two and if they are crackheads, they will be dead before the 4th bullet.
I thing being able to collect and purify water is more important than having 1000L of water at home.
>>
>>688346
>disaster in nignog land
>riots, murder, rape, and theft ensue

No shit. Do you know what my prepper solution to that possibility is? Moving to another state.
>>
>>688366
>I thing being able to collect and purify water is more important than having 1000L of water at home.
except if the water around is beyond filtering and boiling toxic contamination and whatnot.
>>
>>680090
Yeah, good luck fending off all the niggers "asking" (demanding) to "share" (take) your food and water when shtf.

>b-but muh community spirit
>muh democracy
>>
>>688486
see
>>688379

Don't live in a shithole

Proper prepping means prepping with your neighbors/community ahead of time. Know that everyone can count on everyone else in an emergency.
>>
>>688296
well, guess I'm learning how to stitch
>>
>>688673
it's fun and easy, but you will need a leather punch tool if you want to get into leather stitching leather that's a shittons of small holes you need to make.

if you plan in using thread you might still need an awl depending on leather thickness.

i personally lost it at making boots and sandals, making belt pockets and bags and various tool holsters is easy.
>>
>>688493
"Shithole" is relative and usually only obvious in hindsight.

>Chilling on beautiful Indonesian beach
>Tsunami
Shouldn't have been holidaying in such a shithole

>Living in a first-world metropolis
>Earthquake
Your fault for living in a shithole

>Live in the suburbs
>Looting widespread after a disaster
LOL SHITHOLE

>Live in first-world country, in an all-white neighbourhood, with a low population density and good access to firearms
>Coldest winter on record, snowed in house, run out of food and fuel
DONT LIVE IN A SHITHOLE MORAN

>Be dinosaur
>meteorite
GOOD JOB BEING BORN ON THE SHITTIEST PLANET ASSHOLE
>>
File: 1453638303545.gif (2MB, 340x305px) Image search: [Google]
1453638303545.gif
2MB, 340x305px
>>689151
>live around nignogs
>doesn't know it is a shithole
>>
>>689151
Great now I'm kekking too much to prep
>>
>>689151
>meteorite
nigga that was a straight up asteroid
>>
>>688366
I will admit 5k in each caliber is a bit much, but you never know when you might need to trade 500 rounds in X caliber to get proper medical attention or primitive surgery. And being in the southwest, water is my main concern, and its taken care of.

>>688379

This as well, or even moving out of the city, and not working in the city. Besides living a simple life in the country is a ton cheaper and more rewarding imho.
>>
File: 1431185884322.jpg (22KB, 480x335px) Image search: [Google]
1431185884322.jpg
22KB, 480x335px
>>677409
I live in a country where the risk of any natural disaster knocking out power or similar is slim to none so i'm okay.
I'd like to do it in case though.
Thread posts: 162
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.