[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Subject on Bear Grylls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 13

When I was a kid, I watched Man vs Wild a lot. I adore his spirit on survival, and his iron balls to eat something shitty normal people walk away from. that also made me a camper now.

But enough about him. My question is, what do YOU think of him, I also didn't redpilled myself to Grylls to so, discuss on what's bad about this bogus..
>>
He obviously teaches some pretty dangerous stuff like jumping off cliffs and climbing rather than walking around. It's entertainment.
>>
He is pretty cool guy and tv show is good entertainment, some things are pretty funny and he cheats, but its ok to me.
>>
>>675756
>fur everywhere
Amateur hour.
>>
>>675756

Not only he's a phony but he also knows jack shit.

The whole concept of Man vs Wild is dumb.

Survival should be called adaptation, because in reality it's not an extreme war against all living things with the hopes of making it to the next day, it's literal adaptation to the environment.

Also to anyone that wants to argue, don't pull up the "military" or "operator" card. If you read real army "operator" manuals, they all recommend that you go CALM and EASY when stranded, EVEN WHEN PURSUED.

He's just a buffoon that made the bux in television.

A good example of actual survival (adaptation) is Ray Mears. He lives off the land with no problems, enjoys every second of it, and has time to speak with natives or craft some paddles or baskets while he's at it.

It also doesnt help that his line of products if utter shit and there is not a single good thing or design in it.
>>
>>675780

To this I add he's a typical british showman.

He puts sensationalism over common sense.

Not even in an extreme situation one needs to do the utter stupid shit he does for the sake of shock value.

He also sleeps in hotels every night and his SAS past is warped and exaggerated
>>
File: 1453356648633.jpg (46KB, 441x558px) Image search: [Google]
1453356648633.jpg
46KB, 441x558px
>>675783
>>675780
>>675780
>>675783
B~but.. Bear Grills is my hewo~
>>
>>675780
Watching Ray Mears by the way, the scene is quieter and his voice sounds like a math teacher in high school.

It's comfy to watch
>>
>>675756
>when I was a kid

His show only went on air a few years ago, kid
>>
>>675821
>few years ago
The show aired 10 years ago, don't post immediately if you can't into math.

It's kinda fitting for a neet person to be an /out/ poster.
>>
>>675826
10 years isn't a long time, kiddo
>>
>>675837
Then again everything is relative, when 10 years is 2/3 of your life like for op it probably does seem like quite a while
>>
>>675837
HAHA you're an old man on 4chan! HAHAHA
>>
>>675758

Not to mention trying to kill an elk with a sharpened stick is probably one of the dumbest possible things a person could attempt during a survival situation.
>>
File: 8341039.png (58KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
8341039.png
58KB, 645x773px
>>675821

>2006 was 17 years ago.
>>
>>675855
not him

but there are lots of adults on 4chan
>>
>>675783

not sure how this is particularly british.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>675756
>not watching Les Hiddins "Bush Tucker Man" instead
Some of the most comfy television out there
>>
File: 1453683884538.jpg (37KB, 212x325px) Image search: [Google]
1453683884538.jpg
37KB, 212x325px
>>675837
So, are you going to answer my question, or you'll keep saying that I'm proud to be old.

Physical illnesses are hard for you to keep up with your age huh?
>>
File: 1442316729975.jpg (306KB, 1280x957px) Image search: [Google]
1442316729975.jpg
306KB, 1280x957px
>>675756
>>
File: 1div-2011-020-0165.jpg (327KB, 850x511px) Image search: [Google]
1div-2011-020-0165.jpg
327KB, 850x511px
ray is and always will be superior
>>
Is he just a meme survivor compared to these three?
>>
>>675959
Goat. I loved the constant jingle on banjo they'd play.
>>
>>675756
Ed Stafford>Les Stroud>Bear Grylls
>>
>>675756
this guy is my hero, my inspiration, he do dumb stuff but anyway manages to stay cool and polite when things go peanuts
>>
>>675756
>redpill
>used outside of politics philosophy or ideology

jesus fuckin christ
>>
>>675756
Better swallow, you'll spit all the piss on your screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is
>>
Never learnt a single thing from bear grylls aka born faggot, aka faggot vs wild. He's a fucking turbo faggot with adhd.
Rey Mears is master tier outdoorsman. Bear is a city slicking bum oiler, boy fancier.
>>
>>675756
Went to an outdoor school and the whole time the survival instructors just made fun of Bear Grylls

>He doesn't survive because of the crazy things he does, he survives in spite of them.
>>
>>675780
>Survival should be called adaptation, because in reality it's not an extreme war against all living things with the hopes of making it to the next day, it's literal adaptation to the environment.
this is the most retarded and toppest of nitpicking
>>
>>675875
ten years ago I was 10

you are all fucktards if you think it cannot make sense
>>
>>677735

No, it's the most important thing actually.

It's the difference between real wilderness survival and what you see on Man vs Wild and all the retarded american shows in which they fight against everything to "survive".
>>
>>675756
he is a huge faggot
>>
>>677545
What does "redpill" mean to you anyways?
It's just a popular movie quote, not a political term. Don't get your knickers in a twist.
>>
>>677737
>you are all fucktards if you think it cannot make sense
Huh?
>>
bump because fuck you Bear Grylls
>>
>>678919
BG is a fucking stud
>>
>>677735
>Ray Mears
I think its an important distinction that a lot of people don't make.
>>
>>677142
this
>>
>>675756
I never got the appeal, probably because I'd already been watching Ray Mears from a young age, and Ray is all you ever need
>>
>>676660

Must feel bad for him.

Knowing he wanted to be an operator but couldnt make the cut and teaching operators afterwards
>>
>not watching zoboomafoo for all your /out/ tv needs
Sure is pleb in here
>>
>>675768
it's not unlikely the director said "sprinkle some fur on there so it looks more animal and naturalistic!"
>>
I saw his cook book in a shop window only today. Absolutely shocked, like what cooking does he do?
>>
>>679941
Things I learned from zaboomafoo
>grapes are like crack for horrid little monkeys
>if you're hungry it's probably lunchtime
>>
File: 1409110158001.jpg (127KB, 531x471px) Image search: [Google]
1409110158001.jpg
127KB, 531x471px
>>677724
>>
>>677724
excuse me anon but i fancy boys and oil bums and i take offense to this comparison >:|
>>
>>680441
I'm sure he meant none, there is a difference between a boy fancying bum oiling fag and an upstanding homosexual gentleman who just happens to fancy lads with well oiled rumps
>>
File: bear-rat.jpg (42KB, 416x300px) Image search: [Google]
bear-rat.jpg
42KB, 416x300px
>>677777
mfw nobody admires my get
>>
>>680266

Jesus. This is so true it's painful.
>>
>>679899
Wasn't it bad eyesight? Whatever I think Ray is better off doing what he does. Had he been accepted I wouldn't know about him.
He's instructing the group he wanted to be in. Why feel bad? He's making a lot more impact now and he's good at his job.

>>675959
>Bush Tucker Man
This is something that will never be repeated in history of television/video series. Not even Ray can do what Les did with his show.
>>
This thread inspired me to watch an episode for the first time, just for a laugh. Picked "Pacific Island", first result on Google. It's depressing. It's among the most awful television I've seen.
>>
What do you guys recommend me to watch?
>>
>>679941
KRATT BROTHERS > BEAR GRYLLS
>>
I think he performs for spectacle and to almost create vignettes to demonstrate what you can do in certain extreme situations. He's not saying 'Oh in this particular scenario I'm in to survive I better jump off this cliff into water when there are clearly ways to safely climb down'

it's more like:

'If you ever find yourself in this situation where you need to jump off a cliff into water, do this'.

It's all 'fake' as hell and I'm not entirely sure about the validity of a lot of what he says, but it's entertaining in a cheap thrilling way. But practical? Not really. I do admire him for some of the insane shit he does.
>>
>>680991
From what? Man vs Wild?
>>
>>681130
Yeah.
>>
One of bear's first show's was based around the training of foreign legion soldiers in Africa. The training was tough, most people couldn't handle it, bear could. Top chap imo
>>
>>681201

It was rigged and exaggerated.

They put three awkward legionnaires in charge of the show, and the training had very little to do with actual FFL training.
>>
a chiseled ray mears without the gravitas
>>
File: tfw+alternate.png (23KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
tfw+alternate.png
23KB, 800x800px
>tfw you will never have the disposable income to go on an expedition with Ray Mears.
>>
>>677777
Don't worry anon, I'll tell the world of your get.
>>
File: 1452042758792.gif (437KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1452042758792.gif
437KB, 400x400px
>>677777
Don't you hide from me quads!
>>
>>677777
This thread is over!
>>
he is a shit cunt
>>
>>681002
>watch
Read a book instead you lazy millennial
>>
He's a badass with a special forces background.

But the show is entertainment.

Should you jump off that waterfall?
No.

Can you eat grubs and scorpions?
Yes.

Does he sleep in hotels?
Probably

Does he also teach how to make improvised shelter?
Yes

See my point? Yes the show is for entertainment and not everything he does should be mimicked, but at the same time you can learn some cool stuff.
I believe if he were stranded without his crew, he would live.
Because he has the knowledge and ability to do so.
He's not going to actually jump off cliffs if he was alone and away from med-evac
>>
>>677777
quints of truth.
>>
>>683550
then tell me which books to read you rat fuck
>>
Pros: gets people interested in the outdoors.

Cons: encourages people to kill themselves doing stupid shit in the wild. Seriously if you do the exact opposite of what he dose you'll probably be fine.
>>
>>677777
/thread
>>
>>675783

British TV man vs wild is not it more like the overhyped American show where everyone stars screaming an mundane or overhyped things just as the adverts start
>>
>>680907
And he made the best out of a shitty condition I guess
>>
He's a decent actor on a scripted television show. Anyone who knows anything about /out/ only watches it for the comedic value of consistent fails.

I truly fear for the lives of anyone who takes MvW seriously.
>>
>>680907
>>679899
especially since mr. foureyes is right there in the background too

if only spectacles would have existed when he did the tryouts
>>
>>687471
not everything can be corrected by glasses
what if he has wolf blindness? totally useless as a soldier then.
>>
File: perfection.jpg (58KB, 567x642px) Image search: [Google]
perfection.jpg
58KB, 567x642px
>>680887
>>677777
>>
>>686403
Start here:
https://mega.nz/#F!dY1glASA!Kcsn0GRiOa2CISxZTCtQ9Q
I've posted the link a couple times before, but this should have everything you need to get started learning shit.
>>
>>675859
My favorite was when he suggested trying to ride a wild* horse out of the wilderness. That's a great way to get your skull caved in.

>* it was the most well groomed wild horse I've ever seen.
>>
Bear Grylls is shit compared to Les Stroud

Bear Grylls essentially goes for hikes with a whole fucking team with him

Les Stroud goes out by himself for a week with usually just a knife and a bottle of water, occasionally he'll bring along a fire starter of some kind
>>
>>686236
>He's a badass with a special forces background

He was in a vanilla SAS unit which while still requires physical prowess and a certain level of bad-assery to achieve is nothing like the black SAS unit

He wasn't wasting terrorists
>>
>>688089
Any good survivorman episode you would suggest to get someone into the series?
>>
>>688234
canyonlands is my personal favorite. All of them are great in my opinion.
>>
Does anybody have a link to the video of him jumping over a crevasse, then it cuts to another guy doing the same thing in the same place and the camera pans left to a busy street.
>>
>>688329
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is
>>
>>688329
truth to be told you can get int a survival situation right next to or on a road.
if nobody comes that way for days you might as well be a hundred miles from one.
>>
File: spoon.jpg (785KB, 1564x1564px) Image search: [Google]
spoon.jpg
785KB, 1564x1564px
ray mears is best... however i did use this Bear Gerber knife to whittle up a nice spoon... for a cheap knife it is really good!
>>
>>688464
Are those molasses hands I spot?
>>
>>688089
Led Stroud is shit too though

See any of the new ones? You can tell he's a giant douche
>>
>>675756
He's no Les Stroud, that's for sure
>>
>>688092
He was in 21st regiment
Infantry/Reconnaissance
He specialized as a combat survival instructor.
People that doubt his knowledge are absolute morons.
I stand by my statement of him being a badass with special operations background.
>>
>>687968

Yeah, none of that shit is reality. Think about it - he makes millions for the tv network, do you really think they'd put him in any situation that was even MILDLY risky? Of course not. It's all controlled bullshit with good editing.
>>
>>688089
I've only seen a couple of les Strouds episodes.
The ones I saw he had a shit load of gear. One of them it was him and a buddy. And they had guns and ammo.
Another was him scavenging a truck.
That just so happened to have half a jar of peanut butter in the bed.
>>
>>690303
stroud tried to make the films alone, but he soon realized not only he has to survive shit but have to move a shitton of stuff and climb everything 3 times to place gear to make the shot to retreat the gear preferably in a way that leaves no mark for the film, i can see why he started cheating cutting corners of having a buddy around after a while.

basically if you want to do it alone and make it good you need to work 90% of your awake time on the filming aspect and you get like 10% for survival shit so you don't die.

that's just insane. that's why nobody does that.
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.