[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How about a thought exercise? >in 2017 a massive solar flare

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: solar_flare.jpg (118KB, 400x348px) Image search: [Google]
solar_flare.jpg
118KB, 400x348px
How about a thought exercise?

>in 2017 a massive solar flare occurs
>this is the most powerful geomagnetic storm to occur since 1859's Carrington Event
>power transformers explode and mass blackouts occur along with sporadic fires
>GPS and cell communication are rendered useless
>banking is disrupted and due to massive queues and general confusion, obtaining cash becomes challenging
>vehicles act as effective Faraday cages and are still operable but gasoline availability fluctuates, electric cars are not able to be charged.
>Food is available but rationed due to disrupted supply chains. Malnutrition is common.
>during the nights the aurora as so bright one can now read by their light
>it is now late spring the storm is estimated to last for 6 months during which most electronics used outside of a vehicle or otherwise electromagnetically protected space will be rendered inoperable
>basic services may be restored my early to mid winter once the storms subside
>you are now confined to written of memorized knowledge (either your own or what can be obtained by acquaintances)
>in scattered locations robbery becomes a significant threat, especially for food or tools. Highway robbery is a likely scenario for those traveling as police are unable to patrol vast stretches of highway effectively.
>>
>>674788
<cont'd>

Your goals:

-augment your long term food supplies for the summer and coming winter
-finding a reliable method to travel fair distances (10km) and carry up to 25lb of goods
-having a consistent method of non-electric light
-a source of easily accepted currency with which to barter or purchase needed items
-possible short term methods of heating (or improved insulation) and water purification
-reliable method of protecting your property from looters (who are sometimes armed with guns but more commonly consist of 4-5 individuals with baseball bats, hammers, etc.)

You may travel up to the distance your vehicle could travel on a 3/4 full tank of gas and may bring any supplies you now have. You may also travel by any other method (bike, dog sled, hang glider or whatever) indefinitely far but either must be able to carry or obtain food to consistently sustain yourself. There is some safety in groups as robbers will be less likely to attack unless the reward is substantial and merits the risk.

Good Luck.
>>
I drive a house through your tank, and Steal your shit. Become president, and restore power to the grid.
>>
> all this time I've been sayin' PAPER MAPS

BUT NO!

FUCKING FAGGOTS!
>>
>>674814

Paper maps are no longer fashionable, anon.
>>
>>674825
>I would throw those fucking phns inna river and beat those bitches like a Chinese womens Olympic bicycle team in training

> wierd boner commencing
>>
>>674788
>Carrington Event

Always found this interesting. We had just taken baby steps so all we really had were telegraph wires strewn about. And to think, we never would have known about it if not for all these small strands of metal.

To answer your question I would just get high as fuck for as long as my supplies lasted and then an hero. Fuck suffering.
Humans would die off in droves and be set back hundreds of years. Hopefully knowledge would not be lost otherwise push that shit of recovery to maybe a thousand years.
Fuck, I don't really know. I just funpost here :^)
>>
>>674878
Don't you at least want to see how far you can get before you die?
>>
File: 62249286.jpg (143KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
62249286.jpg
143KB, 500x300px
>>674788
Time to learn guitar.
>>
>>674788
I haven't really put much through into this before so I have some initial questions:
Assuming you disconnect yourself before the initial grid discharge (supposedly there should be a warning, whether you're lucky enough to be home for it is another matter), what household appliances would survive? Fridge? Freezer? Heaters? A welding machine (essentially a big fucking generator, with or without transistors)? All metal skinned but with holes. Presumably the utilities would disconnect what they could to save what they could from the surge as well.
>>
>>674788
>events of this magnitude occur approximately once per 500 years

we will all be dead by then
>>
>>674962
When I was a kid, the river behind the house hit the hundred-year flood line three times in seven years. Statistics lie, anon.
>>
>>675005
hey, the river behind my house did the same growing up....was it the susquehanna ?
>>
>>675078
> hey, I live inna floodzone ghetto too!
>>
I have been a prepper for quite a while now, let's see how I'll get along.

>augment your long term food supplies for the summer and coming winter
I already own an emergency supply of non-perishable food that would last for roughly nine month. The water supply would be secured by a LifeStraw Family System, giving away enough water for five years.

>finding a reliable method to travel fair distances (10km) and carry up to 25lb of goods
Since my car wouldn't work anymore, I would rely on my bike. I have enough spare parts to repair it twice and made myself spiked tires to drive during winter as well.

>having a consistent method of non-electric light
My back-up lightning system is made of solar-powered camp light. In case these things stop working (which I highly doubt), I still have petroleum lamps sitting in the basement.

>a source of easily accepted currency with which to barter or purchase needed items
In case of a total breakdown, people need medication, food and luxury goods they are unwilling to give up. I'm not a smoker but got some pack of cheap cigarettes to barter with, as well es some cheap booze and cans of spam, as well es some spare medications.

>possible short term methods of heating (or improved insulation) and water purification
The water supply is secured by the LifeStraw, if it becomes necessary I got some iodine to desinfect some water, but that's not long-term solution. I'd go for boiling it all other methods fail.
As for insulation, I'm living in Germany and our houses are insulated like hell no matter what. In case of an emergency, I'd relocate all living and sleeping to the south-facing rooms, creating enclosed sleeping spaces in tents to make us of body heat.

>reliable method of protecting your property from looters (who are sometimes armed with guns but more commonly consist of 4-5 individuals with baseball bats, hammers, etc.)
Since I'm a member of a shooting club, I have access to firearms and ammunation stored in my house.
>>
>>674884
Depends on the situation and my frame of mind.
ie if I'm really depressed I'd probably choose that route.
>>
>>674788my computer room is protected by a Faraday cage and therfore all the knowledge stored on my NAS would be safe. If cars work so do generators so I don't see why electric cars don't work in your retard logic. Also keep important knowledge on my kindle and phone. Have 6 months worth of mountain house and I grow my own vegetables plus have chickens that lay yummy eggs.
>>
>>675250
>my computer room is protected by a Faraday cage and therfore all the knowledge stored on my NAS would be safe. If cars work so do generators so I don't see why electric cars don't work in your retard logic. Also keep important knowledge on my kindle and phone. Have 6 months worth of mountain house and I grow my own vegetables plus have chickens that lay yummy eggs.
Nigga, do you even know what a solar storm is?
>>
>>674962
Statistical avg /= prediction of next event. But good job being a retard.
>>
>>675264
Do you?

Is it gonna render my eggs inedible? Magically kill my protected electronics. Honestly doesn't matter if it does. We've been without power here for 3 weeks before in the winter and didn't die. Not like I'm gonna forget how to make a fire if my hdd fails and I don't read a book on gardening before I go weed and pick the fruits of my labors everyday. As to transport if you want to insist that fails I've a bicycle if non of my old carb cars or bikes will run either. Sure my new Silverado is fucked but no reason my 79 wagoner or my 89 XR shouldn't run just fine. It's okay you are apparently smarter than me so I'm sure you are also more prepared in yer city apartment with no yard or garden or chickens or months and months of mountain house after yer months of regular dry cuboard goods are depleted. My point is OPs scenario is not only retarded but doesn't even scare me. Must suck for you apartment dwelling newbs though.
>>
>>674788
We're moving towards reduced- and off-grid living on our small family farm, OP.
Have gamed the loss of fragile infrastructure (guzzleline, electricity, traditional healthcare, reduced income, etc) and identified the areas where we're weakest.
The big problem is desperate people, so keeping what we have during the reset period is a concern.
We're becoming more social as the kids get older and are making friends and allies.
Hope we never have to fort up, though.
That could suck rocks.
>>
>>674962
Geological evidence shows it occurs statistically ever 500 years
That means every 500 years it actually hit us, the events are much more common
>>
>>674960
let's say any electronics with transistors or semi-conductors are fucked. anything enclosed in a metal casing is still usable also.
We'll say incandescent flashlights are still working. LEDs let's say are out though.

>>675250
>I don't see why electric cars don't work in your retard logic
electric grid is taken out. can drive on the last charge. unless you want to use a generator to charge... if any electronic parts of the generator are not covered by metal casing they fry though. Also gas supply is assumed to be sporadic at best.
Your kindle and phone are fried.

>Nigga, do you even know what a solar storm is?
sun ejects particles, particles hit atmosphere, charged particles have magnetic field, affect earth's magnetic field, changing magnetic field + conductors = electrical charge (like the opposite of an electromagnet). unregulated electricity + sensitive electronics = fried.
Northern lights to the Nth degree essentially.
That reminds me that compass readings are also now somewhat unreliable.
>>
>>675485
interestingly I think I just understood Tesla's method for wireless power transmission. I'm pretty sure his idea was to adjust the earth's magnetic field to induce electric current.
>>
>>675487
> adjust the earth's magnetic feild
Pretty sure you don't understand and are wrong.
>>
>>675078
Nope. Wabash.
>>
and we all had to throw away our paper maps and use google maps....
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.