[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lack of guides for noobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: vlcsnap-2014-09-19-13h15m31s103.png (407KB, 718x540px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2014-09-19-13h15m31s103.png
407KB, 718x540px
Hi /out/

I occasionally browse this board in order to just read up on some of your experiences and knowledge.
Im pretty much a noob to the outdoors although I've been on short hikes a lot.
The most serious was hiking to the top of mt tammany at the delaware water gap.
I got no experience with camping, and I just aim at being able to spend a night and two sunlights outdoors (preferably around Appalachian area, like ny or pa). I bet I'm talking for a lot of other noobs here who just lurk and have minuscule experience like I do.

The guides on the sticky are pretty straightforward and I'd appreciate if you fellas post some beginner tips.
>>
just do it. go out, make camp and go to sleep. have a possible exit, replace gear and methods if they don't work.
>>
awesome movie.
>>
>>672929
Another thing noobs are worried about is gear quality.
Tents for example; how cheap is too cheap?

it's holding back my ambition
>>
>>672931
1$ is too cheap if it is a nice summer night.
4 seasons required for the snowstorm.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2014-09-19-12h01m24s175.png (505KB, 718x540px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2014-09-19-12h01m24s175.png
505KB, 718x540px
>>672930
I didnt love it so much but it definitely just felt different and special.
>>
>>672933
>>672931
walmart brand tents do just fine. I have taken my "outdoor gear/ozark trail" 2 man tent on several excursions that ended with some rain in the mix and they do fine. tarps are fine. jsut do it man. like anon says 4 seasons obviously for inclimate weather or snow.
>>
>>672950
maybe you're too young to understand it?
>>
File: IMG_20150324_150245198.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150324_150245198.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
Treat it like anything else, work your way up.

Day hikes etc.
Overnight car camps
Weekend car camps
And so on.

You'll get an idea of what works for you. You might find you are fine with packaged foods or might prefer to bring a whole campstove etc.

Just do it.
>>
What movie is OP's photo from?
>>
>>673209
True Stories
>>
File: 1442811053543.jpg (211KB, 1528x1192px) Image search: [Google]
1442811053543.jpg
211KB, 1528x1192px
I'm not sure if I should make another thread.....but it's related to Ops thread so here goes. I want to camp out a night or two, then maybe for a week. I trailer camped when I was a kid and had my own tent and sleeping bag. But now I'm 59 and thought maybe some advice for older less experienced campers would help. I don't have money for an rv right now, even a pop up tent camper. But I would like to do this in the spring. Any advice or stories from experiences would be appreciated. Inb4 how'd you get here gramps.
>>
>>673216
What type of camping do you want to do? You mentioned not having money for a camper but I can't tell from your wording if you want to purchase one in the spring or camp in the spring. What type of camping do you want to do and when?

Also, how'd you get here gramps?
>>
>>672911
The issue with this is that there are so many different methods, practices, and settings in which to do what you're describing that any guide for a beginner would undoubtedly run the risk of being inappropriate for your environment/means/mindset/ability. There is a learning curve, and other than the advice already given in this thread (e.g. easy progression, consulting local resources, taking a course with an outdoors school) the specifics are generally left up to the individual. Everyone enjoys the outdoors in their own way, finding yours safely, legally, and within your means are really the only requirements.

Good luck!
>>
>>673213
Not bad but Stop Making Sense is best Talking Heads movie (and album) by far, and their creative peak.
>>
>>673302
True stories was the ultimate late 80's social commentary, far more creative then any other movie Byrne made.

You must be a youngling
>>
>>672931
you don't even need a tent.
Get a tarp, a sleeping bag, a small amount of food that doesn't need any prep, a water bottle, put it in a backpack, walk out and go sleep somewhere, preferably a designated camping site near your car if you're a noob.

If you're close enough to your car/your home, nothing that bad could happen. You can live without food, water, or sleep for that long.

This guy >>672929 's advice then becomes particularly relevant. You survive, you decide what would make you more comfortable next time, and you do that.

If you want a good idea of what to get, look at one of the infinite bug-out bag setups here or elsewhere online. They're designed around surviving 3days innawoods. Ignore the guns/ammo/snares/tacticool shit people always add, throw in 3 days worth of freeze dried meals, a mess kit, and a propane stove, and you're ready to go.

My ultimate advice would be this: make sure you have enough water or means to obtain enough water, a decent sleeping bag rated for the temperatures you will be experiencing (that fits in a compression sack), but more than anything wear the right clothes.

Good (and broken-in) shoes, wool socks (pack extra socks), non-cotton pants, an undershirt, a sweater (preferably wool), and a hardshell jacket. Consider gloves and a wool hat if it will be cold.
>>
>>673311
Youngling? I'm old enough to have seen Stop Making Sense when it came out and to have been jaded with the Heads by the time they released True Stories (I liked the album OK and the movie was good, but I could see it was the start of their decline).

>True stories was the ultimate late 80's social commentary
True, but SMS was the ultimate early 80s concert movie and it captured the band at their peak and they were my favorite band of the 80s. It's apples to oranges I guess and our opinions aren't mutually exclusive but I still prefer SMS.
>>
>>673340
>you don't even need a tent.
>Get a tarp
This only works sometimes. I much prefer tents, both for bugs and wind blocking.
>>
>>673346
yeah but if hes a poorfag and its not going to rain i wouldnt recommend wasting money on a tent. as for bugs its not likes hes down south, and its not summer.
>>
>>673349
>as for bugs its not likes hes down south
Actually the bugs get worser (and bigger and more bloodthirsty) the norther you get.
>>
>>673352
you can always buy a cheap bug net for your head and zip the bottom part up inside your sleeping bag. or bugspray.

I'm not partial to tents but if you want one OP, get one. don't let not having one stop you from going /out/ though
>>
>>673349
>its not going to rain
I don't follow. Even if it doesn't there's morning dew and other sources of moisture.

>>673356
I've actually tried this with a tarp, in Canada. It sucks and I spent the trip wishing I had a tent and planning ways to get one while being bit constantly. It's very difficult to get a good seal with the bug net, even the large ones, and in the end it was money I could have spent on a tent.
>>
>>673379
>there's morning dew
literal non-issue

>in the end it was money I could have spent on a tent
$4 doesn't go a long way towards buying a tent

I understand your criticisms but think about the context of the thread. All you're doing is discouraging some random kid from taking a basic one night trip.

Most of these things are minor inconveniences that wouldn't make much if any difference on a one nighter
>>
>>673349
Where do you think he's going that it doesn't rain?
>>
>>673386
It could be the difference between a positive experience and negative one. With beginners I'm inclined to set them up for success, holding off until anon can afford/borrow/share a better shelter won't make a huge difference in the long run. Unless they're seriously committed a soggy, cold, and/or buggy night out could end their experience before it really began.
>>
>>673388
this is fair, but i still think you guys are taking it too seriously

>>673387
grandpa, meteorology is a real science. you can plan a two day trip around the weather.
>>
>>673216
I am thinking of going tent camping when the warm spring weather comes.

I got here because I've always loved computers and used to go on BBSes back in the 80's, then on something like CompuServe and finally dial up internet and now cable.
>>
Most important thing is to tell some one where you're going, when you'll be back. Some one here should of mention that, every one is a fucking pleb for missing it. One of many reasons why /out/ sucks.

>>673340
This guy is clearly a retard. You're not safe until you're back home. You can be five feet from your car, still easily get hurt.

So keep in mind that you can get hurt any time...which high chances are it is due to a normal accident like falling, fucking up with a bladed instrument and cutting yourself to badly on accident...trip over a rock and crack your skull. Any one who says there is no danger, is clearly a pleb tier camper, who is clearly oblivious to what can happen.
>>
I'm most likely getting a tent just for bugs
I plan on avoiding rain.
>>673435
I had that first thing in mind, but yea safety in all is really important.
>>
>>672911
is that a rental car or is it privately owned?
>>
>>673435
>hey guys, i wanna go camping for one night!

me: "go to a designated campsite, bring water and a sleeping bag and have fun!"

you: *spergs out by telling him 1000 ways he can die and why he needs $400 worth of gear*
>>
>>673216
the only things i can think that've really changed the game since the 60s are warm self-inflating mats instead of cold clammy lilos, and led torches instead of coleman lamps. other kit works like it always did.

most important advice i've got is, no matter how cold it gets don't take a propane heater into your tent when you sleep, the monoxide will get you. rip ken.
hot water bottles are a sensible alternative if you need a little help getting comfy.
>>
>>674591
How easily and quickly does it actually kill you. Because you occasionally hear of someone dying that way, but it makes me wonder why people don't suicide by that method if its so painless and undetectable that you can accidentally yourself.
>>
>>674593
They do, running car in the garage, it is a classic.
>>
>>674600
They don't do that anymore, car exhausts have filters so doing that just gives you a headache and fucks your lungs but doesn't kill you.
>>
File: 1438116460883.jpg (269KB, 1029x909px) Image search: [Google]
1438116460883.jpg
269KB, 1029x909px
>>674593
>>
>>674619
>those comments
>Sue the city!!!

Of course.
>>
>>674615
>filtering carbon monoxide
>from a car exhaust
Wanna try again?
>>
>>674643
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

Wanna try again?
>>
>>672931
I've slept in a 10 dollar festival tent in pouring rain, its not waterproof but it wasnt leaking, but oh man the humidity in that thing was over 9000%. To conclude, anything with two layers or a tarp will work.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.