[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Morakniv Garberg

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 12

File: 1438_6a6bacac.jpg (186KB, 567x378px) Image search: [Google]
1438_6a6bacac.jpg
186KB, 567x378px
Mora has finally released a full tang knife. Are you ready for this /out/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbqZ8ekQ_Fw
>>
>>669618
i am not.
>>
It's just another knife.
>>
>>669792
well you better get ready.

ready for what might be the most memable piece of /out/ gear of 2016.

ready for thread after thread musing the amazing increase in utility delivered by the full tang.

ready for photos of full tang moras in pristine, showroom new condition, alongside assertions that they could be batoned through a granite boulder, serve as a springboard for felling, replce the entire grandsfors catalog, slice bologna, and the like.

get ready.
>>
>>669795
i can cut cooked pasta with mine, good enough
>>
File: 1404252401227.jpg (38KB, 524x331px) Image search: [Google]
1404252401227.jpg
38KB, 524x331px
>>669795
Oh boy, I can hardly wait.

I better start drafting up my meme posts so I'll be ready.
>>
>>669618

Why is this a big thing?

There are hundreds if not thousands of good scandi full tang knives.

Also anyone that thinks this will be as cheap as the other ones is a fool
>>
Meme tier pleb knife
>>
>>669806
>Also anyone that thinks this will be as cheap as the other ones is a fool
this! it's not gonna outperform a heavy-duty companion but it will cost 4 times as much or more. i imagine there final form will include a firesteel, a tactical sheath with a rail, a led lamp, a compass, a whistle, and a diamond sharpening stone. for a mere $100
>>
>>669795
i just want to see what it's like inside
an x-ray or dissection would be nice.
>>
File: 1407733303835.jpg (90KB, 776x723px) Image search: [Google]
1407733303835.jpg
90KB, 776x723px
>>669618
>m-muh full tang
>>
>>669618
>stainless steel
>endorsed by dave canteburry

Fucking dropped.
>>
>>669820
underated post. there needs to be a knife reviewer that cuts all the handles open to show the tang/placement of the blade in the handle if its a rubber grip
>>
>>669618
OH
MY
GOD!!!!

IT'S FINALLY HERE!
THANK ALL THAT IS HOLY THAT WE HAVE A FULL TANG
MORAAAAAAA!!!!
>>
File: tang.png (697KB, 869x605px) Image search: [Google]
tang.png
697KB, 869x605px
>>669820
>>
>>669881

ty
>>
>>669829
>anything but full tang
There's basically no reason not to go full tang.
>>
>>669886
the only reason to fuss over full tang is muh batoning or muh abuse
>>
>>669888
So you don't care about getting a subpar product which is objectively inferior because the manufacturer wanted to shave off less than a dollar worth of metal and substitute it with even cheaper plastic?
>>
>>669891
they aren't inferior, they do the same job in regards of cutting and carving
if someone needs a knife they're gonna beat the shit out of then I can understand that they want full tang, but that doesn't mean that full tang is necessary for everyone
>>
>>669897
They are literally inferior, they have less durability and reliability with no benefits.

>B-but I'm gentle with my knives as if every time was their first time
Horse shit. Unless you are retarded you do not buy something that only works in fair weather. There is no fucking reason on earth not to get a blade that CAN take punishment if it's necessary. Or do you halfass all your gear?
>>
>>669886
>>669888
>>669891
>>669897
no
full tang != stronger or more durable
full tang == you can replace the handle if you need to or use it wrapped in cloth or cordage if need be.
>>
>>669881
Pls cost less than 15€
>>
>>669900
>They are literally inferior, they have less durability and reliability with no benefits.
this is what retards actually believe
try fuck up a glock feldmesser (not full tang)
or put the same abuse to a ka-bar (ful tang)
see which one breaks first!

some full tang knives are stronger than some non-full tang that much is true but it's true the other way around too.

full tang == improvised handles
full tang == replaceable scales
full tang == more customization
full tang <> stronger
>>
>>669900
this knife will be more expensive than one of the simpler knives and it's ridiculous to tell people they absolutely need full tang when they might not need it
there are several knives out there without full tang that have lasted a lifetime

this full tang move from mora is a business move to hoard in money on the full tang meme
>>
>>669913
it's a logical move.
since i don't know how long people been bitching about "why no full tang mora?"
surprises me it took them so long.
i bet a lot of "i would buy a bushcraft mora if it was full tang" was sent to them too.
>>
>>669905

At least one site is saying MSRP is $100-110 USD.
>>
>>669920
>$100
not even once. for more $50 I can buy a Bradford guardian 3 in M390 or cpm 3V!
>>
>>669920
>$100-110 USD.
Thats round 10 Clippers or 8 711's, and they both are delicious carbon steel. I frankly don't see the niche for this knife, except of course the fan boys.
If I'd ever need something to batton with, it likely be a cheap Hultafors GK and not stainless steel worth a Benjamin.
>>
>>669618
In sweden, morakniv are basically the cheapest piece of shit knives that you can get. It's what you give to 9 year old boys when you want to teach them to use knives outdoors. Why would you care about them releasing some fancy expensive knife? I find it hard to believe there's no better alternative.
>>
>>669959
truth
buying mora above $10 is bullshit
>>
>>669942
for $150 you can buy an srk which is almost indestructible
>>
>>669967
>srk
would still prefer the guardian
>>
>>669973
looks good i have to admit
but 3" fix is not on my list i have a 3" folder as backup already.
>>
>>669913
>>669917

The blade length is also 4.3 inches. Most of the more serious "bushcraft" knives tend to be on the shorter side, closer to 3 inches.

I'm certain they are aware of this but decided to make it longer anyways because most people who will buy this fancy bigger knives and wont be doing a lot of woodworking anyhow.
>>
>>669920
>$100-110
>for a Mora
hell no
>>
>>670038
looks to me the same length as a companion
>>
>>669618

My Enzo trapper still shits on it and will probably end up being cheaper.
>>
>>669806
>Also anyone that thinks this will be as cheap as the other ones is a fool

There's literally no reason for it not to be.
>>
>>669967

I pity the fool that believes what you wrote.

Stop the meme.

SRK was good when it was 70$ and Carbon V.

For 150 it is vastly outclassed and outperformed.

Might as well get a Fällkniven or ESEE instead
>>
>>669920

>100$

For a lame-ass plastic full tang knife.

Mora has lost it.

TONS of better stuff for less money out there.
>>
>>670073
dunno i only heard awful things about fallkniven from people that had it
esee is just plain old 1095
>>
>>670079

>just plain old 1095

Best learn you some respect there boy. 1095 can do wonderful things. Esee works it just fine.

I've heard near the opposite from people about Falkniven. they only complaints are that they're too expensive now, especially the new models with the metal gaurds.
>>
>>670085
isn't there a pro series of Fallkniven with some kind of amazing super steel way better than vg-10?
>>
>>669618
>full tang mora

at long last

let the batoning commence
>>
>>670085
people complained to me about constant breaking and chipping of the edge

i didn't want to believe thought it was some knock off, but these people know their knives.

>>670073
i just read that nobody really knew what Carbon V was and probably was not even a singly type of steel but whatever they could get cheapest at the time.

but seems like they indeed replaced a tougher softer steel with a more brittle harder one on a beater knife. well...
>>
>>670091

yes, I think it's on their website somewhere
>>
>>669886
weight is a reason. you can get a full size knife in ultralight weight.
>>
>>670097
Anons have been batoning with their moras since the early days.
>>
>>669920
>At least one site is saying MSRP is $100-110 USD.

>$100 Mora
Fucking dropped.
>>
Mora has accended beyond meme knife if this shit is actually over 100$
>>
This knife is the same specs as the bushcraft black except different tang, handle, sheath, and stainless instead of high carbon. Considering the the bushcraft black is $60 this one is going to be more expensive but $100 is pretty steep coming from a company who mostly markets value cutlery. Can't say I blame them though, can only watch companies like spyderco and crk rake in all that cash and not want a piece of the pie.
>>
>>670171
there will probably be a carbon steel variant and it will fit the same sheath.
>>
>>670158
youtubers brought this shit
>>
Dave talking about this thing at shot show 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M1_6d-pqGw
>>
>>669814
Fair price
>>
>>66992
if I want a fixed blade for >$100 I get a $12 mora meme.
Anything over a $100 I'm getting a falkniven f1.
>>
>>669964
>tfw you bought one for $12
>>
>>669886
Full tang knives are just a meme nowadays. Knife won't break from the tang. It'll break first from the blade if any.

Peened tang>Full tang for true outdoor knives if used a lot. Extra comfort,less weight and still strong.
>>
>>670830
You said over $100 twice.
>>
File: laughing mantises.jpg (43KB, 620x423px) Image search: [Google]
laughing mantises.jpg
43KB, 620x423px
>$110 Mora
>>
File: 2013-05-29_22-26-43_237.jpg (540KB, 1989x1597px) Image search: [Google]
2013-05-29_22-26-43_237.jpg
540KB, 1989x1597px
>>670079
Plain old 1095 is pretty damn good knife steel.

>>670860
Pretty much this, kinda. Old guy terminology alert: any knife with a tang that extends the complete usable length of the handle is a full tang knife, even one with a skinny stick tang. Ka-Bar and three of the knives in this pic come to mind. All 4 are full tang, only the second one (the Old Timer with the trailing point blade) has slab handles. I think the other three are what you're referring to as a peened tang. Stick tang (if they are roughly the same tang size through most of the handle) or rat-tail tang (if the tang becomes notably smaller as it goes toward the pommel) are the terms I'd use. Correct me if I've misunderstood you, it's good to know what our words mean when we're talking to each other.
>>
>>669920
>grinded spine
>>
>>670129
which means the actual price will likely be below that. msrp for the bushcraft survival is 103$ on knifecenter, but sell for 69$.
>>
File: MASSDROPMORA.jpg (98KB, 1181x640px) Image search: [Google]
MASSDROPMORA.jpg
98KB, 1181x640px
If you are really trying to save get your mora from massdrop right now

https://www.massdrop.com/r/HT383T

Pic related 2 pack Companion MG's for $26.77
>>
>>670834
exact price is based on euro usd conversion rates and what is the availability don't be a fool.

but don't fucking buy a mora for $60 or more that seriously bullshit.

get a mora companion for $9 file / hone the spine for 90 deg, get a ferro rod for $9 use ranger band to secure it
for $18 you get the same capabilities as with a bushcraft mora, sans the diamond sharpener but i wouldn't use diamond so no loss there.
>>
>>671214
>https://www.massdrop.com/r/HT383T
fuck yourself spambot
>>
>>671211
yeah i forgot about that. mora knives sell for 15-40% off MSRP on amazon.
>>
>>669795
>replce the entire grandsfors catalog

lel
>>
>>671286
>hone the spine for 90°

What does this mean? You can't just strike a moras spine with a ferrorod right out of the box?
>>
>>669881
Thanks for the pic. I don't see any unnecessary weak points, good for batoning. That's a lot better knife than Spyderco and I don't think it will cost as much.
>>
>>671789
Some production knives have rounded spines and don't strike ferro rods well. Takes like two minutes to fix that with a 6" bastard file followed by a 6" fine cut file.
>>
>>671179
>Old guy terminology alert
I guess "full" means full lenght and therefore you're right. Too bad nowadays full tang refers to a knife in which the blade steel is exposed so that the blade steel has the same shape as the handle. If the blade steel can be seen in the end of the handle, that also counts as a full tang.

I don't like this terminology. I have an SRK that has no properties of a full tang knife (has a weak point), tang goes all the way through the handle, but the steel is not exposed in the back of the handle for practical reasons. I believe an SRK will outperform that full tang Schrade (2nd knife in the pic) any time in any stress test, ok I'm not absolutely sure it will, but you get my point. Full tang != strong knife. Cool knives btw, especially no. 1 & 4.
>>
>>671179
seeing this picture makes me sad because i broke my OT in half.
i thought it was a solid knife but apparently there's a bottleneck where the steel thins to fit through the hilt
i was careless.
>>
what do you guys think of this knife?
http://amzn.com/B002CC6BPM
>>
>>671882

it's fine
>>
>>669920
For like $15 more I can get an ESEE off Amazon.
>>
File: knifeParts.jpg (42KB, 611x188px) Image search: [Google]
knifeParts.jpg
42KB, 611x188px
>>671845
That Schrade is stainless new production, it's probably fairly brittle. I wouldn't push it hard enough to find out. The SRK is quite likely tougher. The blade being a trailing point makes that knife really good for processing game, which is why I like it. If I'm going to be mean to a knife, it'll be the Camillus. It's a brute. The knife on bottom is actually my wife's innawoods knife and she had it before I met her.

>>671881
>i broke my OT in half.
>i thought it was a solid knife but apparently there's a bottleneck where the steel thins to fit through the hilt
Most knife failures happen just about there. That's how you know the "gotta have muh slab handles on muh full tang knoff" people don't get it. The blade is harder than the tang and the point that's weakest is the quench line. It doesn't matter how wide your tang is if the weak point is at or just behind the ricasso. It's also why the following is correct:

>>671845
>Full tang != strong knife
>>
>>671882
It looks like a pretty good innawoodsing knife. I like that it has clean lines.
>>
>>672097
Thanks! Great minds think alike, I guess.
>>
>>671179
What is that knife on the top?

Looks beautiful
>>
File: its a mora.jpg (24KB, 278x720px) Image search: [Google]
its a mora.jpg
24KB, 278x720px
>>669618

MORA SOLD OUT

let's have a look at this, for what it is.It's a easy to mass produce knife that needs very little tooling to manufacture.

for years all the bushcraft retards have been howling 'but you need a full tang knife to baton!'

Mora have finally had their marketing guys take a look at the comparative models and their respective pricing, slightly undercutting the market with a relatively easy to use/maintain steel

this knife is overpriced by about 3x it's actual 'worth' but it will sell because it has Dave Canterbury circle jerkin endorsement. the 'full tang gang bang crowd have been able to smell this coming and are popping boners like a 15 year old in a strip club
>>
>>669618
That is one sexy looking knife
>>
>>672129
Ahti leuku. #9614 here:

https://www.ragweedforge.com/AhtiCatalog.html
>>
>>672097
>quench line
Why wouldn't the whole thing be quenched?
Sorry if this is a pants on head retarded question but I'm trying to learn.
>>
>>672781
>schrade OT destroyer here
i believe quenching makes the steel harder yet more brittle so sometimes knife makers leave the tang soft, yet stronger in flexibility because it doesn't need to be especially hard
also i think there's plenty of knives where they do just quench the whole thing
>>
>>672781
This guy >>672804 has it pretty much right. You don't want the whole knife as hard as the cutting edge. Hardness and brittleness have a symmetrical relationship. As one goes, so goes the other. Toughness is asymmetrical to those: as hardness and brittleness increase, toughness decreases. There has to be a balance. Files are hard as hell, hold an edge very well, and can break if you drop them on concrete. Grind an edge on one and baton? Not likely. Springs are the opposite: you can smack them with a hammer and drive them through concrete, but they don't hold an edge well. Working with any material includes learning the best compromises between its properties. The best compromise for steel is often considered to be differentially hardened blades. Cutting edge at RC 54 and up, back of blade and handle at 54 and down. The only weakness is the place where the grain pattern in the iron changes, the quench line. That's where most failures from lack of toughness occur.
>>
>>672149
This, I stay with the 711 model, seems to be more value for much less money.
>>
>>669618
>>Morakniv Garberg is the strongest and most robust knife we have ever made, dressed in a genuine Morakniv costume with our brand new signature high profile design. Of course, the blade is made from top quality Swedish Stainless steel, processed according to our own secret recipe. Morakniv Garberg is the ultimate knife for any Bushcrafter and we have made sure that it is ready to be challenged to the max.<<

People who know about knives will not buy it because they don't know the steel composition and HRC.

Also: Why shouldn't I just buy 10 mora 711 models instead? I think the bushcraft black is top notch already.
>>
>>672968
It's 14c28n
>>
Personally I am looking forward to try it
>>
>>673287

What the fuck is that?

What the fuck is the incentive to buy this full tang Mora when other very good scandi knives with full tang exist already?

Helle, Martinni, TRC, Enzo, EKA.....

Mora is quite late to the party, and with a weird steel.
>>
>>673417
brand loyalty
>>
Ill get it if its cheaper than 40 bucks.
>>
>>673417
i'm with >>673490
they could have a full tang in the budget market, all the ones you listed too expensive for what they are.
>>
>>670101
Carbon V was their name for the 1095 variant that camilus made for them
>>
>>673585
>It is 0170-6 cutlery Steel...It was developed in the 1950's by sharon Steel specifically for Knives.
>It is an enhanced 1095. They added Nickel--Chromium and a trace of Vanadium. it was a patented steel of Sharon.
yeah that is what i found but also found that it was different steels over the time apparent from spark test.
>>
>>669618
Looks sexy but if it's not $16 US like my SS companion I'll pass. The price point has been moras real appeal and anything they sell over $20 is just moronic. They'd be wise to remember that. They're the KIA of the knife world.
>>
>>675104
It was made for the American market like the bushcraft black and the other expensive models, its going to sell well I suspect, even if it won't provide any performance improvement from the basic models
>>
>>675104
>KIA
They're optima is breddy gud. Rides comfy as fug yet handles well and has good pick up.

I swear, I'm not a shill lol
>>
>>673490
>UPDATE: MSRP is a little higher than expected. $110 dollars for the knife with leather sheath, and $100 for a version with a polymer sheath.
For a Benjamin I can have something better.
>>
>>675246
The optima is a good car. So is the companion. Both are fairly priced but if they were hiked through the ceiling they lose their appeal. More to my point.
>>
>>672866
>Toughness is asymmetrical to those: as hardness and brittleness increase, toughness decreases.
Not true, hardness increases toughness. Toughness is basically the ability to resist fracturing, and is a combination of hardness and ductility. Although hardness and ductility usually come together, it's not always the case.
>>
>>675461
>hardness and ductility usually come together
Meant hardness and brittleness, sorry.
>>
>>675441
I agree, I was just extolling kia.
>>675461
Metallurgy is awesome. I wish I understood it better.
>>
>>670830
Why not the s1?
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.