[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bivy Bags

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 896227.jpg (11KB, 440x244px) Image search: [Google]
896227.jpg
11KB, 440x244px
Does anyone here use a bivy bag?

I happily use a tent for my /out/ings normally, but I've been working a graveyard shift for the past couple (and next several) months which requires me to sleep a bit during the day. I haven't been spending long days /out/ because spending 5-10 minutes setting up and another 5-10 taking down my tent for a 45 minute catnap seems terribly inefficient. My tent also isn't really snow-proof and winter has finally started here in New England.

It occurred to me that I might circumvent some of these problems by getting a bivy bag. I could set it up on snow, spend 15 seconds unrolling the thing, get my power snooze and then only spend a few minutes rolling it back up before continuing on my way.

I imagine any of you who use one would be ultralightfags, which I'm not, but could see experimenting with if I got one.

So, questions for bivy owners:
How easy is your bag to set up/take down?
How weather-proof is it? Do you need to put it on a footprint to keep water/snow from coming in?

Any other thoughts? My sleeping bag is rated 18F and I've got a pad. I'm normally a stomach sleeper.
>>
Welcome to the club, nigger.

Bivy master race here.

Best way to do it in extreme cold:

>SOL emergency sleeping bag. Reflective insulation retains 70-90% of body heat
>Sleeping bag. If you're using the army bivy, I recommend waterproofing your sleeping bag because I've heard accounts of people surplus bivvys not being watertight. I use one though and have never experienced this.
>Sleeping pad. Line the bottom of your pad with a sleeping pad.
>Bivy as the out layer.

I also recommend using an e-tool to dig yourself a body-shaped hole to keep you out of the wind.

Throwing a few handwarmers in your reflective bag is also a god-tier way to generate more heat.
>>
anon you should just get a hammy with a cocoon. shit's cumpfier 'n horsecunts
>>
>>669452
i want a bivy but every review for every fucking bag is just like "woke up soaking wet" and im like... hmmmm.....
>>
>>669452
>My sleeping bag is rated 18F and I've got a pad. I'm normally a stomach sleeper.

Are you me?

Regardless, I was thinking about getting that same bivvy. Looks easy enough for solo camping. Might make you the ultimate rape victim when caught by surprise. Also, your gear has no place to hang out in.

>>669643
Sounds comfy af
>>
>>669653
Get a bug bivy and tarp over your trekking poles. No condensation concerns. No bugs. Ground water will run along the sides.
>>
>>669653

These people need to either:

Wax the bottom of the bag, bring a light tarp, or stop sleeping on their stomachs and filling their bags with condensation.

>>669673

It is, anon, it is.
>>
>>669452
Well, if you want a really good one and don't mind spending a bit check out the Outdoor Research Advanced Bivvy. Little more liveablility and comfot, better options for ventiliation, and weatherproof as fuck.
>>
do you enjoy sucking dick?

purchase a bivybag
>>
>>669717
>hammockfag desperately hopes no one realizes that bivies can be used for ground shelter or made to serve as hammocks.
>>
File: No12grommets_all.jpg (648KB, 1368x844px) Image search: [Google]
No12grommets_all.jpg
648KB, 1368x844px
>>669732

Forgot pic related.
>>
>>669645
Hey it's horse reference guy!
>>
>>669732
Pls explain how this can be done
>>
>>669739

Field method is to create a paracord lattice and place your bivy directly within it.

Making your bivy hammock capable ahead of time is just a matter of reinforcing the top and bottom of the bivy with canvas patches at both ends, then installing grommets in said patches and running paracord through though.
>>
>>669742

>Cont.'d

Or don't be a spergy little faggot and buy a hammock AND a light weight bivy. Place bivy in hammock.
>>
>>669743
Or get a RidgeRunner and be done with it. Fuck you guys are stupid sometimes.
>>
>>669747
but that's a lot more money.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.