[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking to buy night-vision binoculars, any advice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: bnvd-night-vision-goggles.jpg (36KB, 615x421px) Image search: [Google]
bnvd-night-vision-goggles.jpg
36KB, 615x421px
I'm looking into buying a pair of nightvision binoculars for use on a boat. A friend once demonstrated how useful it can be during night-time approach to shore and similar. In any case, I've browsed a bit and seen many options, however I'm looking for quality and longetivity, as in the binocs should last a few years and have decent night-vision illumination capabilities.
Seeing how this is the outdoors board, it seems the best place to find people who had to purchase a pair sometime, and would know which brands are good and which to avoid.

Do you have any reccomendations? Price range is up to 1500$, preferably less, as I don't need military grade binocs, just decent magnification and night-vision.
>>
>>669271
Someone is going to look at the women camp.

We have GPS now, you can drive your boat in the fog.
Binoculars won't help you to drive a boat.

If you really drive boats at night in unmapped area, you are looking for spots. The battery of your boat can support a lot of them.
>>
>>669291
Thanks for the non-advice.

Also what the hell is a woman camp? If you mean a nude camp, there's plenty around, and no, that is not my intention.

GPS is inaccurate to 50m, and seeing is better.
>>
>>669346
Buy a good one, GPS is accurate to a meter, and the unbridled GPSs receivers of the army are even more accurate.

If you want to see at night, lamps are what you need. If you really want to drive a boat all lamps off, any NV google are fine, even the "cheap" ones, but it does not worth a lamp.

If you have a kayak, frontal are good.
>>
>>669271
If you are looking for cheap and durable you will probably want one with a digital amplifier, tube based amplifiers are better, but much less durable and the less costly early generations are prone to dying if you expose them too too much light.

Do you need binocular vision, or would you be fine with a rangefinder/scope? Because I know those are often decently rugged, can be stored more easily in a shock proof/waterproof container and all that.

Can't recommend any brands though I'm afraid, I'm just going off what I have heard from people who know their shit.
>>
I would actually forego NV and go with spots, a decent integrated stabilized compass is what you need for navigation.
>>
>>669358
I'd prefer binoculars to a scope, although both are viable.
>>669375
GPS is accurate, but when approaching a shore /marina at night time, it's sometimes hard to navigate by lights only, especially if you're approaching a city center marina, with loads of other lights behind the actual entrance. In this case the background is generally dark, and you'll have a hard time determining the lighthouses/signalization. Spotlights would also not help in this case, as the ship is not a commercial tanker capable of fielding 0.5m sized spots to illuminate the area properly. Either way, I'm looking more for brand names, not advice how to pilot a boat or why NOT to get a night-scope/binocs.
>>
>>669438
I take it you are op.

Damn the knowitalls that can't give you an answer?

Techfag here, I have built GPS satellite subsystems and NVD.

AN-PVS7.
>>
>>669271
ITT makes this bright yellow search and rescue gen 3 night vision that you can get for around $700 on ebay.

Besides that then look at pvs 7 or pvs 14.

I recommend getting a good IR flashlight to use with any gen nods you get.
>>
>>669625
>700 dollar gen 3
I refuse to believe it. I paid more for my used gen 2+ PVS-7 clone, and that was half off.
>>
>>669271
Hey Pablo, don't you try landing your cocaine at night, it's not going to make much difference, those go fast boats show up on radar! If I was you I would land your cocaine during the day preferably when the fishing fleets are returning before dark, gives you a bit of cover.
>>
>>669346
Use a kayak and click your mouth to find land.
>>
>>669685
Cocaine is delivered via sub, boats are for the poor cartels.

>>669740
We tried that, but Eduardo made too much noise, so we had to chop his head off with a chainsaw.
>>
>>669890
A sub is much more expensive than a NV google.
I don't think he is from a cartel because then, he would just buy the more expensive one without looking at how good it is.

>>669271
See the third eye on your picture? It is a frontal lamp. It just emit a light that the human eye can not see, and the binoculars are basically just changing the wave length of the light.

If you don't care about other people seeing you, get a frontal.
>>
>>669890
>Cocaine is delivered via sub, boats are for the poor
possibly huge amounts for subs, you can sit on the beach on Aruba and watch boats come over from Venezuela. They'll toss packages over, a dude on a bike with a backpack will wade out and put the shit in the backpack and pedal off. Seen it many times.

OP, you don't need no stinkin night vision. They do that shit all day long.
>>
>>669638
Ebay itt night vision. It can not be helmet or weapon mounted, just held in hand. It's used by search and rescue.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.